PDA

View Full Version : zip zip wants to be our number 6

thelwall
09-11-11, 09:10 AM
William Zillman has put his hand up for the Gold Coast No.6 jumper as the Titans begin the hard grind of moving on from last year's NRL wooden spoon.

Zillman has impressed coaching staff during the team's first two training sessions, establishing himself among the fittest members of the squad.

He was quickest in the first two-kilometre time trial last Thursday, then clocked an even faster time in Monday's second run.

The club has struggled to find a dependable No.6 since the retirement of Mat Rogers, with Zillman one of five players tried in the position.

Zillman says he'd like to play five-eighth alongside Scott Prince, but would be more than happy to develop into the Titans' long-term solution at fullback.

"I played about 12 games at five-eighth last year and I really enjoyed being in the front line defending," he told reporters.

"Both positions have their positives from my perspective and, if I'm out there playing either of those, I'll be happy."

Zillman said the club also had a few rookie options at either position.

"It can only be a healthy thing for the club to have that sort of competition for spots," Zillman said.

"Even though it doesn't bother me which one I play, it's good to play one for the entire year because you feel a bit more comfortable.

"The way the season went in 2011 with injuries, it was impossible to do that, so hopefully this year we can have a bit more luck with injuries."

Looking refreshed after an off-season holiday in Thailand, Zillman said the team has hit the ground running, with a steely resolve to put the horrors of 2011 behind them.

"The guys from 2011 know the feeling of how hard a season it was and it's certainly something we don't want to go through again.

"As soon as we broke up for the season, I just wanted to get away.

"I went up north to the family for a few weeks and then went over to Thailand."

The Titans have remodelled their playing roster and are confident an injection of new blood will spearhead the club's return to form this season.

Led by representative stars Jamal Idris and Nate Myles, the new signings also include Beau Champion, Luke Douglas, Phil Graham, Beau Falloon and 20-year-old Bulldogs five-eighth Aiden Sezer.

Zillman said they're all settling in well to the new culture and more relaxed lifestyle of the Gold Coast.

"They're all talented players and the rest of us are happy to be back.

"It's a good thing that we've hit the ground running and, come the start of the season, we'll be firing."

Surfers6
09-11-11, 09:15 AM
I think he is happy to play where the team needs him but he wants/needs the fullback jersey fulltime.

DavidBouveng
09-11-11, 10:37 AM
William Zillman has put his hand up for the Gold Coast No.6 jumper as the Titans begin the hard grind of moving on from last year's NRL wooden spoon.

Zillman has impressed coaching staff during the team's first two training sessions, establishing himself among the fittest members of the squad.

He was quickest in the first two-kilometre time trial last Thursday, then clocked an even faster time in Monday's second run.

The club has struggled to find a dependable No.6 since the retirement of Mat Rogers, with Zillman one of five players tried in the position.

Zillman says he'd like to play five-eighth alongside Scott Prince, but would be more than happy to develop into the Titans' long-term solution at fullback.

"I played about 12 games at five-eighth last year and I really enjoyed being in the front line defending," he told reporters.

"Both positions have their positives from my perspective and, if I'm out there playing either of those, I'll be happy."

Zillman said the club also had a few rookie options at either position.

"It can only be a healthy thing for the club to have that sort of competition for spots," Zillman said.

"Even though it doesn't bother me which one I play, it's good to play one for the entire year because you feel a bit more comfortable.

"The way the season went in 2011 with injuries, it was impossible to do that, so hopefully this year we can have a bit more luck with injuries."

Looking refreshed after an off-season holiday in Thailand, Zillman said the team has hit the ground running, with a steely resolve to put the horrors of 2011 behind them.

"The guys from 2011 know the feeling of how hard a season it was and it's certainly something we don't want to go through again.

"As soon as we broke up for the season, I just wanted to get away.

"I went up north to the family for a few weeks and then went over to Thailand."

The Titans have remodelled their playing roster and are confident an injection of new blood will spearhead the club's return to form this season.

Led by representative stars Jamal Idris and Nate Myles, the new signings also include Beau Champion, Luke Douglas, Phil Graham, Beau Falloon and 20-year-old Bulldogs five-eighth Aiden Sezer.

Zillman said they're all settling in well to the new culture and more relaxed lifestyle of the Gold Coast.

"They're all talented players and the rest of us are happy to be back.

"It's a good thing that we've hit the ground running and, come the start of the season, we'll be firing."

the bulletin ran the same article today, except the quote ive bolded has been cut short in your story here.

the article i just read says (the article is titled "Zillman keen to make mark as permanent fullback") says "I'd still like to play fullback. I played about 12 games at five-eighth last year and I really enjoyed being in the front line defending,"

he obviously is happy to play anywhere, but its funny two different stories have the same quotes and get a different angle.

thelwall
09-11-11, 11:13 AM
haha yer its stupid

Chaos
09-11-11, 11:34 AM
Put zillman at fullback and let him take ownership of the position...let the play makers fight for the 5/8 position

thelwall
09-11-11, 11:43 AM
id rather zilly just focus on fullback , where i believe he is best at

GC_Titans_Fan
09-11-11, 12:35 PM
haha yer its stupid

I wouldn't say it's Stupid.

It is just two different people (in this case two writers) who got two different interpretations from the quotes.

DIEHARD
09-11-11, 04:21 PM
Ive said in other threads that Im for Rankin at 1 and Zillman at 3. But regardless we need William in a positive where he can get his hands on the ball as much as possible.

Supergoose
09-11-11, 05:07 PM
Ive said in other threads that Im for Rankin at 1 and Zillman at 3. But regardless we need William in a positive where he can get his hands on the ball as much as possible.

I know this isn't Facebook or Google Plus but Like and +1.

DavidBouveng
09-11-11, 08:18 PM

i think ive said in another thread as well that centre is where Zillman was most effective for us, but i just cant see us using him there.

its a weird one because i think he definitely has to be in the team somewhere, but we bought Champion and Idris as centres and Rankin looks like he could go well at the back.

Zillman has runs on the board though and is a part of the soul of our team i believe, and i think Carty (who has said he is a future titans captain and international) has a huge soft spot for him.

it will provide a big talking point when the teams is first announced next year, as if he isnt at fullback, it will affect a few other positions as well and probably the bench as well.

Titanic
10-11-11, 01:20 AM
the votes are in on this ... Carty wouldn't dare not follow this poll.

teke
10-11-11, 01:38 AM
the votes are in on this ... Carty wouldn't dare not follow this poll.

:thumbsup:

Zillman at fullback or in Q cup

Ryan
10-11-11, 02:32 PM
Champion or Rankin will be sent to QCup before Zillman.......

teke
11-11-11, 01:52 AM
Champion or Rankin will be sent to QCup before Zillman.......If Zilly isnt put at number 1 then there is a good chance he could find himself in Q Cup

Titan Dad
11-11-11, 10:11 AM
Zillman will be our fullback, and Rankin will end up in Q-Cup for the majority of the season. I beleive he will be called on only if we have a horror run of injuries otherwise he will be destined for the QCup.

Chaos
11-11-11, 10:34 AM
As I've said before I think Zillman is the best fullback we have...but as far as rep honers...he would be an awesome utility player.