PDA

View Full Version : Queensland Cup Grand Final: Tweed Heads Seagulls vs Wynnum-Manly Seagulls

DIEHARD
18-09-11, 04:02 PM
Tweed Heads Seagulls vs Wynnum-Manly Seagulls

DIEHARD
18-09-11, 04:05 PM
Gates open: 10am
FOGS Colts: 10:10am
FOGS Cup: 12pm
Intrust Super Cup Grand Final: 2pm

DIEHARD
18-09-11, 04:06 PM
I'll be cheering for Wynnum. Got alot more in common with them than Tweed.

Wynnum havent ever been in a Queensland Cup Grand Final. Last Final was 1995 before the foundation of the QCUP.

DIEHARD
18-09-11, 04:08 PM
Tickets - http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=QLDCUP11

DIEHARD
18-09-11, 04:21 PM
Under 18s are free and concession is just $12.00

TITAN PETE
18-09-11, 08:38 PM

Wynnum havent ever been in a Queensland Cup Grand Final. Last Final was 1995 before the foundation of the QCUP.

Do Wynnum have half of their squad signed up for the Titans too :surprise:

DIEHARD
19-09-11, 10:28 AM
Do Wynnum have half of their squad signed up for the Titans too :surprise:

Nope but Tweed Heads are a club and a club that I have little attachment too.

TITAN PETE
19-09-11, 10:38 AM
Nope but Tweed Heads are a club and a club that I have little attachment too.

Unless they are wearing their Titans Jerseys :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
19-09-11, 10:41 AM
Unless they are wearing their Titans Jerseys :thumbsup:

Ah you know how it is, rugby league loyalty is a complex business, especially over the last couple of decades with the rise of the Broncos, fall of the BRL and Super League. Not straight forward. And it's a matter of the heart.

It's not like I don't cheer for Tweed Heads on nearly every occasion during the year. It's just that they are shaded in this match up.

But I'll be delighted if Tweed Heads win as well.

DIEHARD
21-09-11, 10:42 PM
Tweed Heads Seagulls v Wynnum Manly Seagulls
Suncorp Stadium on Sunday, September 25 - 2pm*

Tweed Heads Seagulls
1. Ryan Milligan 2. Nathanael Barnes 3. James Wood 4. Matt Hundy 5. Tom Merritt 6. Matt King 7. Brad Davis (c) 8. Aaron Cannings 9. Tim Maccan 10. Josh Starling 11. Ryan Simpkins 12. Selasi Berdie 13. Cody Nelson 14. Tom Kingston 15. Rod Griffin 16. Jake Leary 17. Brock Hunter
Coach: Ben Anderson

Wynnum Manly Seagulls
1. Jake Granville 2. Jason Moon 3. Shea Moylan 4. Matt Grieve 5. Sam Te?o 6. Reece Blayney 7. Matt Seamark 8. Dane Carlaw 9. John Te Reo 10. Mitchell Dodds 11. Tim Natusch 12. Kurtis Lingwoodock 13. Luke Dalziel-Don (c) 14. Charlie Gubb 15. Ben Shea 16.Jon Grieve 17. Chris Birch
Coach: Paul Green

DIEHARD
21-09-11, 10:43 PM
Confirmed, public transport is included with match ticket.

DIEHARD
22-09-11, 01:13 PM
GRAND FINALS: Sunday, September 25 @ Suncorp Stadium

Intrust Super Cup
2pm Tweed Heads Seagulls v Wynnum Manly Seagulls

FOGS Cup
12noon Norths Devils v Redcliffe Dolphins

FOGS Colts
10.10am Norths Devils v Tweed Heads

DIEHARD
24-09-11, 01:36 PM
Intrust Super Cup Grand Final Preview

WYNNUM Manly coach Paul Green admits he?s astonished by the fanfare and support for the club as the Seagulls prepare for their first tilt at an Intrust Super Cup grand final.

The club?s famous colours are everywhere you look on the bayside.

?It?s huge ... they?re selling red and green sausages at the butcher shop and red and green bread at the bakery,? Green said.

But come 2pm on Sunday, Green?s focus will be on shutting down the men wearing black and white ? the minor premiership-winning Tweed Heads Seagulls.

?We expect them to go up a cog,? Green said of the Tweed outfit.

?They?ve been the best team all year, they deserve to be favourites for it.?

Green, a former Queensland Origin representative, doesn?t need any reminding about the importance of shutting down Tweed skipper Brad Davis.

?He?s a fantastic player, he?s certainly their go-to player, but they?ve got good players right across the paddock. Nat Barnes is very dangerous for them.?

In a stunning achievement, Green?s team qualified for the premiership decider despite losing their opening six matches of the Intrust Super Cup season.

The club?s fans, regarded by many as the most passionate in the competition, will turn up in huge numbers on Sunday, with 15 buses already booked for the trip to Suncorp Stadium.

Green has been forced to make just one change, with utility Chris Birch coming into the side for the injured Will Scanlan (shoulder).

?One thing about Birchy is he?s a great competitor,? Green said.

?He?ll give you everything he?s got, especially in a big game like this.?

Tweed coach Ben Anderson said his charges had trained strongly this week following their impressive preliminary final victory over the Northern Pride.

?It?s been good, the boys have enjoyed it,? said Anderson, who was named Coach of the Year on Monday night at the QRL awards dinner.

?We had Matt Geyer come and talk to the boys on Tuesday about how to handle the pressure and preparing for the game.?

Tweed?s main injury concern is Ryan Simpkins, who ran last night for the first time after hamstring tightness last week.

?He wasn?t 100 per cent but he got through, running at about three quarter speed. He?s confident and we think he?ll be fine.?

The Tweed players will have dinner with the club?s Colts team on Friday and will relax with their families at Currumbin beach on Saturday to round off preparations before the bus trip to Brisbane on Sunday morning.

http://www.qrl.com.au

C-Whiz
24-09-11, 02:29 PM

I was there in 1982, my Dad was from Wynuum. We'd done the drive to Brissy for most games during the year. I remember my Dad driving us all to Brissy, green and red streamers flying from the Kingswood, cheering from the stands at Lang Park! Good times!!

One of the great moments of Rugby league, one of the greatest club teams assembled. I'm not sure how happy you were about WM poaching the great one from Valleys, but wasn't it a team of Champions!

I'm with you Brad, I have more in common with WM than Tweed, and I'll be cheering for them tomorrow. :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
24-09-11, 04:24 PM
I was there in 1982, my Dad was from Wynuum. We'd done the drive to Brissy for most games during the year. I remember my Dad driving us all to Brissy, green and red streamers flying from the Kingswood, cheering from the stands at Lang Park! Good times!!

One of the great moments of Rugby league, one of the greatest club teams assembled. I'm not sure how happy you were about WM poaching the great one from Valleys, but wasn't it a team of Champions!

I'm with you Brad, I have more in common with WM than Tweed, and I'll be cheering for them tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Wow mate, I really loved hearing that story, it conjures up some great pictures.

Yea still spewing about Lewis going to Wynnum. :laugh:

Titanic
24-09-11, 08:35 PM
Tweed is a NSW team ... c'mon Seagulls ... work it out yourselves :-)

DIEHARD
24-09-11, 08:52 PM
Tweed is a NSW team ... c'mon Seagulls ... work it out yourselves :-)

QUEENSLANDER! :thumbsup:

TITAN PETE
25-09-11, 10:14 AM
Good luck to both Seagulls just hope the team with the Broncos players get smashed :thumbsup:

C-Whiz
25-09-11, 03:23 PM
Good close game. i wonder what the crowd is??

You'd think they'd put the fans on the side that the cameras are pointing at. it looks empty.

shamus
25-09-11, 06:23 PM
Up 10-0 with 10 seconds to go in the first half and I cannot believe Tweed weren't awake and let that grubber through! That turned the game....

oh....Wynnum 16-10

TITAN PETE
25-09-11, 08:42 PM
Great game of Footy

DIEHARD
25-09-11, 09:14 PM
Good close game. i wonder what the crowd is??

You'd think they'd put the fans on the side that the cameras are pointing at. it looks empty.

If they did that we'd all melt in the sun. They'd need to move the cameras.

I think it is disappointing that there isn't more people at this game. It should at least get 15k and it is disappointing that NRL clubs sit on their hands and do little to promote it.

If you want an independent commission, it cuts both ways. Take responsibility for all Rugby League.

QCUP Grand Finals should be an event for all Rugby League fans, attended by all like the English Challenge Cup, no matter who you support.

It was a FANTASTIC game, as was the FOGs. So happy to see Wynnum win and their fantastic supporters be rewarded.

DIEHARD
25-09-11, 09:35 PM
One of the best times at the footy I've had all year.

I wore my custom Wynnum jersey with pride.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/photo12.jpg

Steelers
26-09-11, 12:21 AM
It should at least get 15k and it is disappointing that NRL clubs sit on their hands and do little to promote it.

NRL clubs won't bother promoting something they can't profit from. This is why the Broncos didn't heavily promote the game against the Dragons like they did the game against Manly as the profits for the game went to the NRL.

Titanic
26-09-11, 10:34 AM
DH, that's the worst sketch of a Seagull (behind the sticky tape) that I've ever seen, in fact it looks more like a rodent.

DIEHARD
26-09-11, 12:38 PM
NRL clubs won't bother promoting something they can't profit from. This is why the Broncos didn't heavily promote the game against the Dragons like they did the game against Manly as the profits for the game went to the NRL.

Thats right mate. And add to that Away games. Our club is guilty of it too... But that attitude probably does more damage in Sydney. :doh: :fist:

Our sport needs to stop following the $. Truth is, do what is best for Rugby League and the $ will be there anyway.

DIEHARD
26-09-11, 12:42 PM
DH, that's the worst sketch of a Seagull (behind the sticky tape) that I've ever seen, in fact it looks more like a rodent.

Thank you thank you. :laugh:

DIEHARD
26-09-11, 12:55 PM
Tweed Heads beaten by Wynnum in QCup

TWEED Heads' outstanding Queensland Cup season has come to an end with Wynnum-Manly winning the grand final 16-10 at Suncorp Stadium.

Tweed took a 10-6 lead into halftime but could not score in the second term, with Wynnum going on to win the battle of the Seagulls and claim their first silverware in the top grade since 1995.

Matt Seamark and Shea Moylan scored second-half tries to hand Wynnum their first Queensland Cup since the competition began in 1996.

Tweed was close in the second half but denied a try after Matt Hundy had the ball stripped as he attempted to cross the line.

Wynnum centre Shea Moylan, who grounded the loose ball in the in-goal to prevent a Tweed try, was the hero at both ends, scoring the winning try in the 73rd minute after Reece Blayney sliced through the Tweed defence.

Tweed was first on the board, crossing through hooker Tim Maccan, who pushed off four defenders to plant the ball in the corner.

The Coast side had marched its way down field after being awarded a penalty for Wynnum's second tackle on winger Tom Merritt.

Brad Davis was the architect of the second try, selling the dummy to the Wynnum defence and drawing the fullback before putting Cody Nelson over the line.

Desperate defence kept Wynnum out late in the half, with Tweed forcing the Seagulls into touch as they spread the ball wide to try and capitalise on what looked a scoring chance.

But after a near flawless half of football, Tweed made an error deep in their own territory, with Merritt knocking on a pass from Ryan Milligan less than a minute from the break to hand Wynnum the chance to score.

They took it gladly, with halfback Matt Seamark putting through an inch-perfect grubber for flying fullback Jake Granville to score under the posts and cut the deficit to 10-6 at the break.

It gave them a sniff and with Tweed undermanned after Rod Griffin and Ryan Simpkins left the field with injuries, they tired in the second half.

Wynnum, who have had a brilliant finals series after starting the season with six consecutive losses, finished full of running, although Tweed refused to give up, attacking on the final play of the game to try and force extra-time.

WYNNUM MANLY SEAGULLS 16 (Tries: Jake Granville, Matt Seamark, Shea Moylan; Cons: Seamark 2) bt TWEED HEADS SEAGULLS 10 (Tries: Tim Maccan, Cody Nelson; Cons: Davis).

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/

DIEHARD
26-09-11, 01:04 PM
Even though my team isn't part of the Queensland Cup, the Diehards...

I'm really looking forward to going to more Queensland Cup. The tradition is there, I love suburban grounds, it's cheap and the quality of footy is great.

C-Whiz
26-09-11, 02:04 PM
I'm really looking forward to going to more Queensland Cup. The tradition is there, I love suburban grounds, it's cheap and the quality of footy is great.
Yep, and you can get beer in a can, nice and cold, and a hot meat pie with free sauce, all for about $6. It's the way footy should be. :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
26-09-11, 02:48 PM
Yep, and you can get beer in a can, nice and cold, and a hot meat pie with free sauce, all for about $6. It's the way footy should be. :thumbsup:

You sold me. :)

I call a revolution! OK OK everyone back to local league. Move along. :laugh: