PDA

View Full Version : Titans: Supporters Group Name Poll

DeeGan
18-01-06, 11:19 AM
Titans: Supporters Group Name Poll

The 2007 NRL season will be upon us before we know it and it is time to once again revisit the naming our official supporters group.

The following list is from a previous thread on the forum as posted by DIEHARD giving you examples of names from other NRL team supporters groups:

Cowboys - The Southern Stampede
Roosters - The Chook Pen
Souths - The Burrow
Canberra - The Raiders Army and The Sydney Green Brigade
Wests - The Wests Tigers Fanatics
Cronulla - The Finatics
Penrith - The Penriff Army
Newcastle - The Knights Crusade
Manly - The Eagle Rockers and The Silver Tails
St George - The Dragon Army
Melbourne - Stormtroopers?
Parramatta - The Blue and Gold Army and Eels World Order
Kangaroos - The Kangaroo Army unofficially "The Mob"

The names listed in the poll are from an old thread posted on this forum, if you have another name that you deem a better fit for the team, vote other and post in this thread.

Please poll your vote here as the results displayed will go along way to gauging what our supporters want when it comes to naming the official supporter group.

I also ask all Gold Coast Titans fans to spread the word about this poll and get as many of our fans polling their vote. I will send all members and e-mail today as well.

Get voting, the journey has begun and the countdown is on!

DeeGan

DIEHARD
18-01-06, 11:26 AM
The Legion

Simple, yet glorious. A very powerful, catchy and respectable name. Sure to catch on with rival fans and television commentators alike.

And a legion is what we will be. :box:

DeeGan
18-01-06, 11:36 AM
The Legion gets my vote.

Definition; a large military unit; ancient hist Roman army division: in ancient Rome, an army division of 3,000 to 6,000 soldiers, including cavalry

The Gold Coast Titans supporters will make life hell for the visiting team just as the Southern Stampede did in the early years (and still do) of the Cowboys when they came into the competition.

Cheers

DeeGan

DIEHARD
18-01-06, 11:42 AM
The Titans Supporter Group will be pioneering this type of support in Queensland rugby league, with both the Broncos and Cowboys not having armies based at home.

But both having unofficial southern based supporter groups in the shape of the Southern Stampede and Sydney Brisbane Broncos Supporter Group.

It is time this style of support came to Queensland.

DeeGan
18-01-06, 11:47 AM
An email has been sent to all registered members.

Let's spread the word and get as many people as possible contributing to this poll :)

Thanks in advance for your help with this one ;)

DeeGan

DeeGan
18-01-06, 11:55 AM
Keep in mind, with the supporters group, I am sure we will have our own section of the the ground where we will be chanting and simply making life hell for the visiting teams.

When we travel, I am sure we can look at setting up some deals with a local travel agency to make life on the road a little easier...the possibilities are endless ladies and gents!

DeeGan

Queenslander
18-01-06, 12:04 PM
The Legion gets my vote

and Diehard i think you would find that the Broncos do have a supporters group of sorts that started last year...the XXXX bitter black zone :D

http://www.gistsolutions.com/hosted/broncos/images/fans.gif

If the titans could get their Legion of fans all in the same colour in the same area of the stadium (similar to the above picture) them Im sure they will have an impact on any of the teams that take on the titans.

DeeGan
18-01-06, 12:05 PM
I am sure we could look at some type of supporters shirt to rival that of the Brisbane Broncos :)

DeeGan

Queenslander
18-01-06, 12:07 PM
I am sure we could look at some type of supporters shirt to rival that of the Brisbane Broncos :)

Im sure you can...bring it on!!! :thumbsup:

DeeGan
18-01-06, 12:09 PM
Im sure you can...bring it on!!! :thumbsup:

Anyone else getting image from the movie TROY when Achilles played by Pitt calls out Erica Bana's character :laugh:

DeeGan

DIEHARD
18-01-06, 12:17 PM
The Legion gets my vote

and Diehard i think you would find that the Broncos do have a supporters group of sorts that started last year...the XXXX bitter black zone :D

http://www.gistsolutions.com/hosted/broncos/images/fans.gif

OK good point. But that is more a corporate promotion not a fan group.

If the titans could get their Legion of fans all in the same colour in the same area of the stadium (similar to the above picture) them Im sure they will have an impact on any of the teams that take on the titans.

With the Roo Crew we give out a supporter shirt that is dark green, to, as you said, give that unifying feel. We also encourage people to wear any Kangaroos merchandise on top of that. Which creates a superb visual look.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/bundyroocrewshirt.jpg

Maybe a similar thing could be done with the supporter group, especially if people purchase a season ticket. Regular season ticket holders from NRL clubs get hats and scarves and such anyway. It would just require some twigging.

You'd have a base colour of every fan, say light blue, then you can add every other sort of Titans merchandise on top of that. :thumbsup:

It is strange but no other NRL club has ever produced a supporter shirt for their supporter group to my knowledge. But of course most supporter groups aren't affiliated with their parent club. A shame. :hmm:

DeeGan
18-01-06, 12:22 PM
'The Legion of Doom'

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/r/roadwarriors/15.jpg

We could all dress up in our Sunday best looking like the above - a few haricuts may be in order :)

DeeGan

Super Cronk
18-01-06, 12:32 PM
For me its between the legion and the armory. Both pretty good names. I voted for the legion.

DIEHARD
18-01-06, 12:36 PM
My second choice would be Spartan Army, but that implies we have to wear red.

The Titans Army, is always good, but it's generic. Even if we would be the Legion, we'd still be The Titans Army. It'd be silly to miss the opportunity to have an invidualistic, intriguing and symbolic name.

That is how I see it anyway.

DeeGan
18-01-06, 12:42 PM
The Legion, The Armory and The Titans Army are all winners IMO.

I am thinking big picture visualising how we can use the name when decorating the allocated bay for example - visually, the above three would be outstanding as supporters gimmick. Merchandise would be a case of 'what do we leave out?' and not 'how can we merchandise this?'

The NFL fans do it quite well, check some of the team websites and you will see some great ideas.

DeeGan

Social Loafer
18-01-06, 12:48 PM
I think you would want the supporters shirt to be a bright colour.
Here is the Raiders army one
http://raidersarmy.com/pics/RaiderArmy%20Shirts%20Use.gif

When there is a large group of us sitting together it looks great.
These arn't the best quality pics, but it does show how a small group can stand out, I imagine whatever the titans one ends up being called will have much more numbers.
http://raidersarmy.com/Picture%20Page/Large%20Pics/Image7%20Large.jpg
http://raidersarmy.com/Picture%20Page/Large%20Pics/Image%2010%20large.jpg

DIEHARD
18-01-06, 12:54 PM
Yea that is fantastic Schifty. I always loved those shirts. They look pretty classy.

Are you part of the Raiders Army?

Social Loafer
18-01-06, 12:58 PM
Sure am :) and despite our 2nd half of the season we still "Believe".
Hopefully we will get more support from the club this season, because at the moment we don't even know where we will be sitting.

DIEHARD
18-01-06, 01:08 PM
NRL clubs are mad not to support their supporter groups. They are the ones who are always on TV and the ones people see as the quintessential fan of that club.

They are the ones that create unique match atmosphere and can become a minor draw card themselves.

Surely clubs would want to have some hand in shaping the group and directing it. And fans just want to be recognised, to better their club and don't ask for much.

We'd be talking about bread crumbs, bread crumbs that would be one of the best investments a club could make.

I wish you luck getting more support from the Raiders.

If they gave you a bay, you'd already half fill it.

Look at what the A-LEAGUE did over night, with every A-LEAGUE club supporting their supporter groups, every club has a healthy one! Wake up NRL clubs.

Kingytek
18-01-06, 01:12 PM
Coastal Crusaders? - The Crusaders

Queenslander
18-01-06, 01:13 PM
'The Legion of Doom'

We could all dress up in our Sunday best looking like the above - a few haricuts may be in order :)

DeeGan

I think this is the first photo that DeeGan has posted of himself :p :laugh: :laugh: Just kidding mate ;)

Social Loafer
18-01-06, 01:15 PM
ep, we are not really asking for much, all the banners and flags are bough made by fans. Last year we were given bay 72, but during the 1st 3 home matches tickets were sold in that area to opposition fans,(luckily canberra stadium is only ever about half full and most of them were understadning and just moved elsewhere) fortunetly this was rectified when they decided to give us the back 4 rows of bay 72. This year there is talk they will move us into bay 66, which is apperently completely empty.
Doesn't really matter where we sit, aslong as the area is designated so opposition fans won't get tickets in the middle of us.

Super Cronk
18-01-06, 01:15 PM
'The Legion of Doom'

DeeGan

:rotflmao:

Mate you want to bring kids to the games...not scare them off!

Titan In Newcastle
18-01-06, 01:31 PM
The Legion,

a very strong and dominent name, sounds great

Slaytera
18-01-06, 02:12 PM
I picked Spartan Army. The legion is Roman not Greek

DIEHARD
18-01-06, 02:18 PM
I picked Spartan Army. The legion is Roman not Greek

The term Titans is originally Greek, but has come to mean different things.

The Gladiator, our emblem is Roman but was recruited from all over the empire. We are a mix of Greek and Rome and the Titans are whatever we want to make it.

The term Legion doesn't have strictly Roman meanings, it has come to mean more. Such are vasts numbers, armies and military groups.

We can't be Spartan, to be Spartan, means to be RED. We can't hardly be Spartan and not wear red, or be Titans and wear red. :hmm:

Legion...

1. The major unit of the Roman army consisting of 3,000 to 6,000 infantry troops and 100 to 200 cavalry troops.
2. A large military unit trained for combat; an army.
3. A large number; a multitude. .
4. A national organization of former members of the armed forces.
5. Archaic term for army

[BroncosGirl]
18-01-06, 02:35 PM
Yea I think the Legion is a good stong name.

Anything could rival those Broncos supporters shirts... they're just black.

gordon{fish}fisher
18-01-06, 02:54 PM
the fitan titans :evil:

Eel 33
18-01-06, 02:55 PM
Just watch this year, no other NRL club will give their "army" of supporters a bay to sit. Again, the Titans will embarass the rest of the comp into doing something.

Kingytek
18-01-06, 03:12 PM
Coastal Crusaders? - The Crusaders

In Addition:
Fan club: Coastal Crusaders
Cheerleaders: Sandpipers (As mermaids has been taken by the sharkies)
Ball Boys: Nippers

DIEHARD
18-01-06, 03:15 PM
Newcastle fans already have the Crusade and have adopted the term Crusaders.

Kingytek
18-01-06, 03:17 PM
Newcastle fans already have the Crusade and have adopted the term Crusaders.

Doh' I guess that makes sense, I should have known!

Kingytek
18-01-06, 03:18 PM
Titan's Troopers

Eel 33
18-01-06, 03:23 PM
For the record, i voted for the Midas Corner. But any of the above names will do.

[BroncosGirl]
18-01-06, 05:29 PM
Just watch this year, no other NRL club will give their "army" of supporters a bay to sit. Again, the Titans will embarass the rest of the comp into doing something.

Its up to the "armies" to get a section themselves... plus Broncos do h ave the XXXX .... but also stupidly enough we also have a "away supporters" section.

DIEHARD
18-01-06, 05:31 PM
The Chook Pen and The Burrow also have dedicated bays.

The Original Idiot
18-01-06, 06:16 PM
There's a chook pen at Kougari- and the seagulls play there!

The legion is easily the best name, the bay that is exclusively there should be known as the Armory. The Armory is a place, not a group of people.

Wolfpak
18-01-06, 10:14 PM
With my vote that takes "The Legion" to 55.26%.

I also think that one of the other suggestions, "The Armory", would be a great 'unofficial' name for the home ground when the stadium is built.

DeeGan
18-01-06, 10:28 PM
Keep the votes coming!

Thanks to all that has voted thus far :thumbsup:

DeeGan

DeeGan
19-01-06, 11:34 AM
More votes! More votes! More votes! More votes! More votes! More votes! More votes!

How can we get more votes from Gold Coast Titans fans?

Ideas?

DeeGan

Social Loafer
19-01-06, 11:42 AM
Don't know if it possible, but you could send a mass email out to everyone that is registered on the forum with a link to this poll enclosed?

DeeGan
19-01-06, 11:51 AM
Don't know if it possible, but you could send a mass email out to everyone that is registered on the forum with a link to this poll enclosed?

On it now ;)

DeeGan

Steelers
19-01-06, 12:14 PM
Maybe some sort of a media release to a major Gold Coast newspaper telling GC fans to sign up and vote? Is that possible?

DeeGan
19-01-06, 12:33 PM
Copy of an email sent to the GCBULLETIN who do a great job in keeping their readers up to date with the Titans:

To Whom It May Concern,

My name is DeeGan and I am the forum administrator for the Gold Coast Titans website.

I am writing to you not on behalf of the Gold Coast Titans, but simply as a fan who volunteers his time to ensure our forums security and integrity is not damaged whilst at the same time keeping members up to date with Titans and NRL news.

Why the e-mail?

Well I am writing to ask for some help. We at the forum are looking to get an official name for our supporter group (e.g. Souths have 'The Burrow') and have put together a poll asking for members to vote for the name they believe to be a best fit for our club. We will look at some form of poll on the Gold Coast Titans website in time I imagine, though for now this is what it is set up.

Are we able to get a piece done on this poll? I know there was interest shown in the poll conducted when we launched asking members to nominate our biggest rival from 2007.

Thanks for reading and considering this request.

Have a good day.

Yours in sport,

DeeGan

DIEHARD
19-01-06, 12:40 PM
Good work guys.

GOATUS
19-01-06, 08:38 PM
The Army of Kronos! Not wanting to sound like a geek but isnt Kronos the homeworld of the Klingons from Star Trek

GOATUS
19-01-06, 08:40 PM
We could like all like be like that sidekick from hercules the tv show starring kevin sorbo and wear togas to the games

kip
20-01-06, 12:54 AM
Just think that a classy supporters group name would give us the edge rather than those listed.

When the Titans were defeated by the Greek Gods those left were imprisoned in the underworld at Tartarus.

Now we're back!!!

And I reckon our song theme from The Great Escape

Kip

El Chino Fatman
20-01-06, 07:25 AM
Hector, Hector, Hector................great stuff.

I voted Legion, but I quite like something like The Loyal Few or similar.

Coaster
20-01-06, 09:31 PM
Legion sounds like a sore on your leg

It has to be Cyclops, the one eyed Titan supporters

The only true creature that supported the Titans, the One eyed beast that gained respect

http://presidentpdr.bigpondhosting.com/photos/cyclops_tee_front.jpg http://presidentpdr.bigpondhosting.com/photos/clyclops_back.jpg http://presidentpdr.bigpondhosting.com/photos/hat.jpg

DIEHARD
20-01-06, 10:06 PM
Hey Oneye.

DIEHARD
22-01-06, 05:56 PM
Don't forget to vote for your favourite supporter group name!

league_fan
22-01-06, 05:58 PM
Make sure the supporters group name is not "the blue and yellow army".

Steelers
22-01-06, 06:59 PM
Make sure the supporters group name is not "the blue and yellow army".

There is no yellow in the Titans colours. There is orange, but no yellow.

DeeGan
22-01-06, 09:49 PM
Idea...

The Legion United or The LU for short?

United we stand in support of the Gold Coast Titans - thou shall support the Titans til death do us part.

DeeGan

DIEHARD
22-01-06, 09:52 PM
LU :sick: :dizzy: ;)

Kingytek
22-01-06, 11:54 PM
LU :sick: :dizzy: ;)

I think thats the point!

DeeGan
23-01-06, 10:03 AM
I think thats the point!

No point was being made in my post, it was more food for thought. I liked the 'United' being linked for the simple fact as Gold Coast fans we are united in support.

DeeGan

Kingytek
23-01-06, 10:41 AM
No point was being made in my post, it was more food for thought. I liked the 'United' being linked for the simple fact as Gold Coast fans we are united in support.

DeeGan

No drama's here mate, LU sounds like a great idea!

DeeGan
25-01-06, 11:13 AM
I saw with the Seattle Seahawks in the NFL that they have a 12th Man (11 men on the field) which is the home crown - they have their own flag and all.

Could we look at 'The 14th Man' for the supporters group?

DeeGan

rugged
26-01-06, 11:34 PM
The Titan Shed?

DeeGan
27-01-06, 08:17 AM
Let's get some more opinions on the names being thrown around guys and girls! :)

This supporters group is for the fans and every ounce of input will go along way to naming the group. This is not the 'be all end all' when voting for the group name, though your opinions will be looked at from the Titans management team.

DeeGan

DeeGan
27-01-06, 08:18 AM
The Titan Shed?

Yeah - I think 'Don Burke' in armour carrying a shield and sword when I first hear that name for some reason :laugh:

DeeGan

DeeGan
01-02-06, 10:14 AM
Anymore ideas? More opinions?

This is our official supporters group, speak up now!!! :)

DeeGan

qld power
01-02-06, 06:09 PM
lets get this sorted be good to have it on moejoes tshirt hes doing for the warriors game

The Original Idiot
02-02-06, 07:37 PM
Anymore ideas? More opinions?

This is our official supporters group, speak up now!!! :)

DeeGan
I think it's pretty much done and dusted. The outcome will not be changed now.

Research Station Drive
02-02-06, 09:29 PM
I haven't thrown my two cents in yet, so I thought I'd add to the consensus.

The Legion works for me.

My only concern is that we seem to be confused about what the term 'Titan' means.

Is it a mythical giant or some type of Ancient Greek/Roman warrior?

DIEHARD
05-02-06, 02:48 PM
OK I have our gimmick right here...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/gimmick.jpg

Scary, you don't know if I'm serious or joking.... :laugh:

DeeGan
05-02-06, 02:54 PM
We don't need a freaking hardware wearing Titans mascot :laugh: Though if Bunnings jump on board as sponsors.......

DIEHARD
05-02-06, 02:58 PM
We don't need a freaking hardware wearing Titans mascot :laugh: Though if Bunnings jump on board as sponsors.......

I was thinking more along the lines of an entire bay of people with brooms on their heads. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Scary, you don't know if I'm serious or joking....

DeeGan
05-02-06, 03:05 PM
Unfortunately, I know your serious :laugh:

There will be more to come re: the official supporters group gear though this is a first step I guess lol

DIEHARD
05-02-06, 03:31 PM
Or I could be seriously joking.

qld power
05-02-06, 05:57 PM
order his gladaitor gear off die

The Original Idiot
09-02-06, 07:23 PM
How about selling supporter helmets? 5 bucks each?