PDA

View Full Version : Round 26: Gold Coast Titans vs Parramatta Eels

DIEHARD
30-08-11, 11:44 AM
Gold Coast Titans vs Parramatta Eels

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/titansvsparra-1.jpg

DIEHARD
30-08-11, 11:44 AM
I can't wait for this game. Preston's last before a big crowd. It's going to be a sad day but hope we can send him out a winner at home.

teke
30-08-11, 12:49 PM
Im actually excited for this game.

I think the Titans will send him out a winner

DIEHARD
30-08-11, 01:32 PM
Titans unchanged for final match against Eels

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans have named an unchanged line-up for Saturday night's final match of the year against the Parramatta Eels at Skilled Park.

The Jetstar Titans returned to the Gold Coast today nursing bumps and bruises in the wake of last night's 39-10 loss to the Wests Tigers but will field the same 17-man squad that took the field at Campbelltown Stadium.

Saturday night's match will mark emotional farewells for departing players Preston Campbell (retirement), Anthony Laffranchi (St Helens), Will Matthews (Dragons), Esi Tonga (Parramatta) and Clinton Toopi (retiring from NRL).

Injured players Nathan Friend (NZ Warriors), Brad Meyers (retirement), Riley Brown (Newcastle – local league) and Luke Capewell (Broncos) will also say goodbye to fans at the match before they also move on at the end of the season.

While the winner of the match will avoid the wooden spoon for 2011, Jetstar Titans Coach John Cartwright said his side’s emphasis would be purely on sending their departing players out on a winning note in front of the club’s fans.

“Our sole focus this week will be to send out our departing players on a win,’’ said Cartwright.

“(Avoiding the wooden spoon) is not winning anything. It’s never been mentioned and it never will be.

“Winning has been important for the last number of weeks and it will be no less against Parramatta.

“The thing about this game is that there will be no more so the loser wears the consequences.’’

As the club prepares to farewell nine of his current playing roster including foundation Titans players Campbell, Laffranchi, Friend and Meyers, the Titans have set-up a special tributes page at www.titans.com.au where fans can leave personalised messages and tributes for any of the departing players.

NRL and NYC teams for this weekend are included below.

JETSTAR TITANS v PARRAMATTA EELS
7.30pm, Skilled Park
Saturday, Sept 3

1 Jordan Rankin
2 Steve Michaels
3 Esi Tonga
4 Clinton Toopi
5 David Mead
6 William Zillman
7 Preston Campbell (c)
8 Luke Bailey
9 Matt Srama
10 Matthew White
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Greg Bird

INTERCHANGE
14 Brenton Lawrence
15 Will Matthews
16 Bodene Thompson
17 Luke O’Dwyer

Source: Titans

Titanic
30-08-11, 02:48 PM
At last a reason to aim-up ... I swear I will not bag the selection or pick on any player, coach or anybody at all (except maybe the missus who sometimes does deserve it) for this entire week.

C'mon team - this is it - this is the game where you will win and ensure that this is not a memorable year! In you, we trust. (see, not one negative comment).

Boofhead
30-08-11, 03:06 PM
Parracrappa
1. Luke Burt
2. Ryan Morgan
3. Justin Horo
4. Ben Smith
5. Chris Hicks
6. Jarryd Hayne
7. Casey McGuire
8. Tim Mannah
9. Matt Keating
10. Fuifui Moimoi
11. Nathan Hindmarsh (c)
12. Taniela Lasalo
13. Reni Maitua

14. Shane Shackleton
15. Mitchell Allgood
16. Pat O'Hanlon
17. Justin Poore

http://www.nrl.com/News/OfficialTeam...8/Default.aspx

Boofhead
30-08-11, 03:07 PM
Mannah apparently has a grade one hamstring tare. Let him play I say!

Ryan
30-08-11, 04:26 PM
Good to see Hayne in 5\8, now they just need to put Poore at halfback, Hindmarsh at fullback, and Burt in the front row ;)

eelectrica
30-08-11, 05:48 PM
I'm cheering for a draw - Raiders for the spoon!

DIEHARD
30-08-11, 09:59 PM
Titans plan to send players out in style

GOLD Coast coach John Cartwright is placing a specific emphasis on sending the side's departing players out on a winning note.

For Cartwright, the wooden spoon isn't even part of the equation.

Hosting Parramatta for what is the last game of the season, a two point victory will see the winner miss the spoon by the skin of their teeth, meaning a big win on Saturday is vital.

With the Titans on 16 points and the Eels on 15, last place is on the line but that is furtherest thing from the Titans' minds.

?Our sole focus this week will be to send out our departing players on a win," said Cartwright.

?(Avoiding the wooden spoon) is not winning anything. It?s never been mentioned and it never will be.

?Winning has been important for the last number of weeks and it will be no less against Parramatta.

?The thing about this game is that there will be no more so the loser wears the consequences.??

Following yet another loss, Monday?s 39-10 defeat to the Wests Tigers has not deterred the Titans from avoiding the spoon and sending their retiring and exiting members out on a high.

Saturday night's match mark?s an emotional farewell for departing players Preston Campbell (retirement), Anthony Laffranchi (St Helens), Will Matthews (Dragons), Esi Tonga (Parramatta) and Clinton Toopi (retiring from NRL).

Injured players Nathan Friend (NZ Warriors), Brad Meyers (retirement), Riley Brown (Newcastle - local league) and Luke Capewell (Broncos) will also say goodbye to fans at the match before they also move on at the end of the season.

?There will be no issue for this one,? Cartwright said when questioned about motivation for the clash.

?I haven?t had a problem with the way they have got up for games.

?It?s too hard to win at this level unless you are ready to win.?

?I think for 60 minutes we competed with (the Tigers).

?We were playing for our pride.?

Following five years of growing success since the clubs inception in 2007, 2011 marks the worst season for the Gold Coast leaving Cartwright speechless.

?I can?t put into words how disappointed I am,? he said.

?That?s the thing about football, you can?t let it get to you over the course of the season and I probably won?t let it hit me until the season over and watching semi finals.?

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/

Smakked
30-08-11, 10:32 PM
WIll be a good game
Got my ticket in the legion, SO will be there for this one. Turning my work phone off so they cant contact me :D

teke
31-08-11, 12:20 AM
Esi had scans on a Broken Hand and Mead came off late in the Tigers game with a Hammy scare. Both might not play this weekend.

teke
31-08-11, 12:24 AM
Someone in the Legion bring a Wooden Spoon to the Game...cause if possible I will get one of the team members (preferably one who scores the winning try) to Grab it off you and run it to Hindmarsh in the Post Try celebration :laugh: :laugh:

Im not joking I will be on the teams case this week to do this.

Coaster
31-08-11, 08:10 AM
Last Podcast of the year
Thanks to those who have supported us all season, check it out if you like

Youtube (http://youtu.be/rtB4jjkniSA)

Toads
31-08-11, 10:20 AM
I'm not sure if it's allowed and/or worthwhile. But I have acquired one only spare ticket to this Saturday Nights game. I think it's in the 'Steel' section, in the north-east corner. Independently from where I'm usually located in the Stadium.

Anyway, it's a freebie to whoever may want it. Don't hesitate to PM me, and we'll sort it out from there.

Boonarga
31-08-11, 11:21 AM
Travelling down for this and hoping for the win of course, but I'm really excited to see Marmin Barba in the juniors. He appears every bit as good as Ben.

DIEHARD
31-08-11, 04:38 PM
'Presto' and friends prepare to say farewell
Adam Gardini

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans today recognised the contribution of nine players that will depart the club at season?s end, headlined by the retirement of inaugural Titan and favourite son Preston Campbell.

After a glittering 14-year career, Campbell will play his 267th and final NRL match at Saturday night?s final home game against the Parramatta Eels at Skilled Park.

In what is set to be an emotional day for the club, the Jetstar Titans are also preparing to farewell inaugural players Anthony Laffranchi (St Helens), Nathan Friend (NZ Warriors) and Brad Meyers (retirement) as well as departing players Clinton Toopi (retiring from NRL), Will Matthews (Dragons), Esi Tonga (Parramatta), Riley Brown (Newcastle, local) and Luke Capewell (Brisbane Broncos).

With 80 minutes remaining before he hangs up the boots to take up an off-field role with the Titans working in the community and as a Learn. Earn. Legend! ambassador, Campbell said he would leave the playing ranks with no regrets.

?I feel satisfied with what I?ve done and I think that?s the main thing with anybody retiring,?? said Campbell, who started out with the Gold Coast Chargers in 1998 before going on to win a Premiership with Penrith in 2003 and a host of awards including the Dally M Medal and Ken Stephen Medal.

?I feel really proud to be able to finish where I started (on the Gold Coast). A lot of guys play at the same club for 10 years or even more, and even though I?ve gone full circle I?ve been able to finish where I started so I?m really happy about that.

?It kind of hasn?t hit me yet that I?ll be finishing up this year. I think once the game is finished the emotion will start to hit.

?I?ve been privileged to represent all four clubs and I remember them fondly.??

To celebrate Campbell?s career, special limited edition t-shirts featuring a characterture of Campbell and listing his career achievements are on sale at the Titans Merchandise Store at Robina and will also be available at the game for just $20 each.

The club has also set-up a special tributes page at www.titans.com.au where fans can leave personalised messages and tributes for any of the departing players.

Campbell said he and his teammates were eager to not only go out on a winning note for themselves but for everyone involved with the club.

?I think we?re a better team than what we?ve been showing and we need to do it for everyone involved at the club ? the coaching staff, the staff that work hard in the office each week and obviously for the supporters and fans that buy our merchandise and come and watch us play to cheer for us.??

TITANS DEPARTING PLAYERS

Preston Campbell
Years with Titans: 2007 ? 2011
NRL games: 267* (* including Saturday night?s match against Eels)
Titans games: 103*

Anthony Laffranchi
NRL games: 204*
Titans games: 102*

Nathan Friend
NRL games: 135
Titans games: 100

Brad Meyers
NRL games: 177
Titans games: 75

Will Matthews
Years with Titans: 2008 ? 2011
NRL games: 33*
Titans games: 33*

Esi Tonga
Years with Titans: 2008 ? 2011
NRL games: 37*
Titans games: 37*

Clinton Toopi
Years with Titans: 2010 ? 2011
NRL games: 156*
Titans games: 27*

Riley Brown
Years with Titans: 2010 ? 2011
NRL games: 77
Titans games: 10

Luke Capewell
Years with Titans: 2011
NRL games: 35
Titans games: 7

http://www.titans.com.au

DIEHARD
31-08-11, 04:40 PM
Titans v Eels Match Preview

Titans v Eels, Skilled Park, Saturday 7:30pm, LIVE Fox Sports 2 (Viewer’s Choice)

Teams (http://www.nrl.com/TelstraPremiership/2011MatchCentre/tabid/10999/Default.aspx#matchid=1373&tab=Teams)

Tickets (http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/Show.aspx?sh=TIT2611)

Match Overview

The battle for the wooden spoon comes down to the final round, with two teams desperately hungry to avoid it. The Titans have been impressive in the last few weeks despite missing Scott Prince, but fell to the hot Tigers at Campbelltown last week 39-10. They are unchanged from the side that met the Tigers last week, and are farewelling Esi Tonga, Clinton Toopi and foundation players Preston Campbell and Anthony Laffranchi.

The Eels suffered another heartbreaking golden point loss to the Roosters last week, dropping a 12-0 lead late in the game to lose 13-12. The Eels are also unchanged from last week’s game, coach Stephen Kearney sticking by the same side who have been so close this year.

Strengths

Playing in his final game in the NRL, veteran Preston Campbell is in vintage form. He mesmerised the Tigers defence at times on Monday night, seemingly with spiders on him, finishing with 10 tackle breaks. He will be keen to finish on a good note and end a wonderful career with a win, and not a wooden spoon.

Weaknesses

The Tigers destroyed the Titans right edge defence on Monday night, scoring four of their seven tries on that side. The Titans will have to plug this hole up if they are to stop the Eels left hand edge with Justin Horo and Ryan Morgan to be attacking them all night.

Opportunities

Even though they've competed at all times this year, an 80 minute performance still eludes them in the second half of 2011. If they don’t stay focused for the full game, the Titans little men will cause them some headaches.

Threats

The Eels fighting spirit has been a trademark of their play in 2011. They have lost countless games by close margins, but have competed in every game and pushed every side in the top eight to the edge, or even beaten them. If they display the same qualities in a big game like this, their big-match players will be hard to stop.

The Big Issue

Who will avoid the wooden spoon in 2011? Both clubs entered this season with plenty of reasons to be excited, but unfortunately neither side has been able to find consistency this year and find themselves in this position. The Titans have showed plenty of spirit all year and particularly in the last month in the absence of Scott Prince. They will be extra motivated to send out their departing players as winners, in particular the retiring Preston Campbell.

The Eels have suffered disappointment on a different level, losing various games by agonisingly close margins, including three golden point losses and a draw. Coach Stephen Kearney has stayed true to his squad, with most experts saying that they have played a lot better than their position on the ladder suggests. Alas, they are still in this position, and will have to fight hard against a spirited Titans side to get the win.

Final Five

The Titans hold a 3-2 lead in the head-to-head over the past five games, but the Eels were victorious at Parramatta Stadium 22-18 in round seven this season.

Key Stats

Mark Minichiello worked extra hard against the Tigers last week, playing at his junior home. From 13 hit-ups, he made 120m, with a tackle break and 28 tackles. He will need to fire up again against a strong Eels back-row this week.

Fui Fui Moi Moi had a reasonably quiet night last week against the Roosters. He made only 69m from eight hit-ups, along with four errors and a penalty conceded. He will need to be better this week against the experienced Luke Bailey.

http://www.titans.com.au

SunnyCoastTitanFan
31-08-11, 04:48 PM
Esi had scans on a Broken Hand and Mead came off late in the Tigers game with a Hammy scare. Both might not play this weekend.

I really hope they can play this game, would esi be able to have injections like Bird did? And we need Mead, he always guarantees at least one extra try every week. I was counting 11 players in our squad ruled out for the season, but we really should get the win here still, although the bookies have us at $2.00 outsiders, which I find really insulting, and all the more reason to not only win the game, but thrash them (similar to last years effort but without conceding the 12 points :D)

DIEHARD
31-08-11, 08:57 PM
Titans v Eels
Skilled Park Saturday 7.30pm

Well, here we are: last chance at the ?Last Chance Saloon?. After 25 rounds of blood, sweat and tears, it all comes down to this ? a two-team shootout for the wooden spoon.

It has been an unequivocally disastrous season for both of these clubs, and this match presents one last opportunity for each unit to try to claw back a modicum of pride and dodge the most unwanted ?prize? in rugby league.

Although if the Raiders were to lose to the Bulldogs by more than 60 points they would technically come into calculations, realistically the loser of this match will take out last spot on the ladder in 2011. In the almost-as-unlikely scenario that the Eels record a second golden point draw in a season they would finish equal with the Titans on competition points ? the Gold Coast would then take the spoon based on a far worse for-and-against.

Both clubs will no doubt now have one eye cast towards not just Mad Monday, but also towards 2012 when each will be reinforced thanks to some heavy spending on some high-profile recruits.

But despite the fact there is now just 80 minutes of football left in the year, both coaches will want to keep their charges focused ? the carved cutlery hasn?t been seen on the Gold Coast since the time of the ill-fated Gold Coast Seagulls who took it home in three consecutive years from 1991-3, while the Eels have managed to keep the spoon at bay for 39 years, since the Class of ?72.

(Interestingly, the Eels finished second last in 1991 and 1992, only being saved from the spoon in those years by the presence of the Seagulls.)

As you?d expect in a wooden spoon shootout, neither side brings significant form into the clash, although the Titans are ahead in this respect ? they may have been blown away by the Wests Tigers last week but they have actually won two of their past four games (admittedly those wins were against fellow cellar-dwellers Canberra and Cronulla).

However, the Eels may be in danger of forgetting what their victory song sounds like ? it?s now seven losses on the trot for the blue-and-golds, a run which includes a scarcely believable three golden-point losses. The fact that the Eels were in front late in the piece in five of those seven losses will no doubt have caused coach Stephen Kearney a few grey hairs at the end of his first season as a top grade coach.

With no fresh injury concerns and despite the respective form guides of each side, both coaches have elected to go in with an identical line-up to last week. A final chance for the players to earn redemption?

Watch Out Titans: We may have been saying this for a while now already, but: how long can the Eels keep going so close without a win? No doubt the likes of Kearney and skipper Nathan Hindmarsh are both perplexed and frustrated ? but the fact is they?ve proved they?re good enough to match it with any team over 60 or 70 minutes ? it?s just sealing the deal that?s the issue.

Aside from the 50-point debacle against Souths the Eels have actually been defending well for long periods, they just haven?t been scoring enough points to make it count. This week they get a chance against a side that is not only missing a raft of first grade players but has also conceded the most points in the league this season.

The Eels need to take a lesson in commitment from inspirational skipper Hindmarsh. ?Hindy? made 70 tackles against the Roosters, ran 16 times for 116 metres with three tackle-breaks and offloaded twice. If the Eels can continue their run of getting out to an early lead and then take a leaf out of Hindy?s playing manual they?ll give themselves a chance of holding on for a win.

Danger Sign: Hindy won?t want his first season as skipper to result in the Eels? first wooden spoon in four decades. With a chance for a rest after this game, look for the old warhorse to throw himself at absolutely everything for the full 80 as he desperately tries to drag his team across the line.

Watch Out Eels: Despite their relative inability to score tries in 2011 the Titans are actually the second most dangerous side in the NRL, after Manly, at scoring from their opponent?s 21-50 metre zone, with 19 tries at this distance.

And while the Eels are relatively good at defending inside their own 10 metres (they have conceded 30 tries from this distance, only the Storm with 21 are better on their own line) they happen to be the worst in the league in terms of letting in tries from 21-50 metres with 25 conceded. This is mostly as a result of line-breaks ? the Eels have conceded 42 tries from line-breaks, leaving them by far the worst in the competition (the Titans and Raiders are next worst with 37 apiece).

It shows the Eels? sliding defence is really struggling out wide when there is a hint of an overlap, and the Titans? makeshift halves need to spread the ball wide as soon as they get into the Eels? side of halfway to test out those fringes.

With halfback and skipper Scott Prince out for the season it will be left to the retiring Preston Campbell to orchestrate the Eels? demise. Preston showed us he still has it, adding seven runs for 87 metres, 11 tackles and 10 tackle-breaks last week.

Danger Sign: The Titans have a specialist out wide in David Mead. The young flyer has 15 line-breaks for the season (equal fifth) and his 15 tries see him equal third best in the comp. Campbell and lock Greg Bird both have great vision and passing games and will spread the ball to Mead at every opportunity.

Plays To Watch: Greg Bird?s fend and offload to put support players through a hole; Fuifui Moimoi to finish his exemplary season with some explosive hit-ups; a touch of class from Preston Campbell in his last game in the top grade; relentless tackling from Nathan Hindmarsh who will finish the regular season as the NRL?s top tackler (1160 tackles so far, next best Shaun Fensom, 1110).

Where It Will Be Won: It will come down to whether or not the spluttering Eels? attack can put a few points past the struggling Gold Coast defence.

Although the Titans have won two of their past four and the Eels are on a seven-match losing streak, if you take it back to their past 10 games the Eels have won one game and the Titans two ? and the Titans have conceded 31 points per game over that period, compared to just 22.6 for the Eels (even including that touch-up from the Rabbitohs). Each side has averaged just under 15 points scored per game in that period.

These have been the two worst attacking teams in the league this year ? the only side to have scored fewer than the Titans? 63 tries is Parramatta with 59.

What it all means is this: if the Titans can put their turnstile-like defence in order it?s likely the Eels will struggle to score enough points to win. But if the Eels? attack finally clicks into gear, the chances are their defence will be good enough to hold the Titans out.

The History: Played 6; Titans 4, Eels 2. In the short history of the Titans they have had the better of the Eels and won both previous match-ups at Skilled Park. The Eels prevailed at Parramatta in Round 7 after snatching a win in the dying moments (in a noticeable reversal of the way they have been finishing matches in the back end of the season!).

Conclusion: Skilled Park has been something of a fortress in the last couple of years but the Titans have only won three from 11 played there this year. Both teams will be desperate knowing that a loss guarantees them the wooden spoon. It?s not how Preston Campbell will want to finish his career and it?s not a prize Nathan Hindmarsh will want in his first season as skipper. It really is too close to call and probably comes down to which team is more likely to hold it together for 80 minutes without clocking off.

Match Officials: Referees ? Brett Suttor & Chris James; Sideline Officials ? Gavin Morris & Peter Gough; Video Ref ? Bernard Sutton.

Televised: Fox Sports ? Live 7.30pm (Viewer?s Choice), delayed 9.20pm.

* Statistics: NRL Stats.

http://www.nrl.com/

Geeman
01-09-11, 03:23 PM
Although if the Raiders were to lose to the Bulldogs by more than 60 points they would technically come into calculations, realistically the loser of this match will take out last spot on the ladder in 2011. In the almost-as-unlikely scenario that the Eels record a second golden point draw in a season they would finish equal with the Titans on competition points ? the Gold Coast would then take the spoon based on a far worse for-and-against.

http://www.nrl.com/

Don't we get a point each in a draw? :laugh:

DIEHARD
01-09-11, 03:45 PM
Don't we get a point each in a draw? :laugh:

That is really poor ey. Most fans know the NRL ladder off by heart.

DIEHARD
01-09-11, 03:46 PM
Laffranchi wants to tame Tigers

NEXT week is his Skilled Park goodbye, but departing Gold Coast Titan Anthony Laffranchi will say farewell to the club that began his NRL career -- Wests Tigers -- on Monday night.

St Helens-bound Laffranchi is desperate to derail the Tigers' charge towards the competition's top four.

Some players want one chance to say goodbye but while Laffranchi will leave after next weekend's final-round encounter as a Titan, it was the Tigers who originally brought him from Murwillumbah to the NRL.

And it was with the Tigers Laffranchi enjoyed the grandest day of his career, when together with skipper Scott Prince, they lifted the NRL premiership in 2005.

``While I'm not retiring, it feels a little bit that way because I'm leaving the NRL, leaving the Titans and this weekend it's kind of ironic that we play the Tigers, my old club,'' Laffranchi said. ``While it will be sad, it's also exciting because there's a new chapter next year heading over to St Helens.

``(And) it's always good up against the old team. I've been looking forward to this game after missing the game earlier in the year (through injury).''

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

amaline
01-09-11, 04:09 PM
Spoke to Zillman today, said that Esi is out with a broken hand. Likely O'dwyer to centre, go into the game with a three man bench.

Cowboy Titan
01-09-11, 04:29 PM
go into the game with a three man bench.Really? Didn't the NRL grant a last minute dispensation a couple of weeks ago to bring in an under 20's player? I know Toopi ended up in the team anyway but the commentators said the Titans gained approval to play someone else.

Geeman
01-09-11, 05:05 PM
Imo, Thompson would be better than O'Dwyer at centre if Esi is out

DIEHARD
01-09-11, 09:30 PM
Nearly 20,000 tickets allocated for this game and rising! It's going to be a BIG one! Amazing atmosphere!

Boofhead
01-09-11, 09:36 PM
Spoke to Zillman today, said that Esi is out with a broken hand. Likely O'dwyer to centre, go into the game with a three man bench.

That is bad... Bad Bad Bad news.

teke
01-09-11, 11:58 PM
I think O'dwyer is a major upgrade on how Esi played last week, worst I have ever seen him play but maybe the hand was giving him troubles.

TITAN PETE
02-09-11, 04:44 AM
Chalky started in the centers when he was with Parra so he should find the change easy enough & he won't Bludge out like others :D

#LoseTheSpoon

Titan Dad
02-09-11, 07:14 AM

Surely, we are not going into this game with just a three man bench. We couldn't be that silly. Can anybody shed some light on this as it just can't be true.

TITAN PETE
02-09-11, 08:05 AM
Surely, we are not going into this game with just a three man bench. We couldn't be that silly. Can anybody shed some light on this as it just can't be true.

Thats never gonna happen :nope: , could be another Rookie getting a crack in the Top Grade ;)

thelwall
02-09-11, 08:58 AM
no ridge is on the bench

DIEHARD
02-09-11, 10:56 AM
Our problems in the centres continue. Hopefully it wont hobble us.

DIEHARD
02-09-11, 11:38 AM
Cartwright urges fans to give players fitting send-off

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans Coach John Cartwright has urged fans to put the club?s disappointing year aside and turn out in force at Skilled Park tomorrow night to give foundation players Preston Campbell and Anthony Laffranchi the send-off they deserve.

Despite an uncharacteristic season which sees the club playing to avoid the wooden spoon against Parramatta, Cartwright said foundation players Preston Campbell and Anthony Laffranchi had touched so many people in the Gold Coast community over the past five years, that tomorrow night was the last opportunity for fans to say thank you and goodbye.

?I really hope that people can put our performances behind us this year and base coming out here tomorrow on saying goodbye to a couple of champions of the club ? and not only the club but the Gold Coast community in general,?? said Cartwright.

?I don?t think there would be many families that could say that particularly Preston hasn?t touched someone within that family, whether it be at a school, a function or whether it be at a game or just walking along the street.

?He has that affect on people and everyone on the Gold Coast, if we could fit them in, should be here tomorrow to say goodbye to a champion.??

The match will mark the final matches in Titans colours for inaugural team members Campbell and Laffranchi as well as Clinton Toopi (retiring from NRL) and Will Matthews (Dragons).

Centre Esi Tonga (Parramatta) was also set to play his final match for the club but has been ruled out with a hand injury, with forward Ben Ridge coming into the 17-man squad to fill the void.

In what is set to be an emotion charged night, Cartwright said he had emphasised the importance to his side of not letting the raw emotion take control.

?It?s definitely been spoken about this week ? the emotion won?t do anything for us unless we turn up with our football heads on. We?ve got a plan to go out there to try and execute so if we can combine that with emotion, we?re going to be hard to beat,?? he said.

Murwillumbah junior Laffranchi said it was getting more emotional as the final week of training came to a close, particularly after receiving plenty of support from family, friends and the others involved with the club.

?I?ve had plenty of well wishes and plenty of people for asking for tickets as well, I think I?ve got about 40 tickets or something close to that,? he joked.

?It?s been tremendous not only friends but people linked with the club, sponsors and guys that have helped me out. I?d like to thank everyone, the fans for the support and the people behind the scenes who helped my stay here be a memorable one.??

Titans

Smakked
03-09-11, 10:53 AM
Game Day, see you all at the legion :D

DIEHARD
03-09-11, 11:27 AM
Game Day, see you all at the legion :D

See you there mate. Ill have a giant flag made of 9 Titans flags.

DIEHARD
03-09-11, 11:28 AM
Rugby league loves Presto

CRONULLA Sharks fans still thank John Lang.

Not so much for allowing Preston Campbell free rein in Penrith's march to the 2003 NRL title, but for keeping him in the game.

It was 2002 and Campbell had the world at his feet.

A Dally M Medal winner and the Cronulla Sharks halfback.

His side winning. He was happy.

But when Chris Anderson arrived from the Melbourne Storm with Brett Kimmorley in tow, Campbell's world came crashing down.

Within 12 months the boy from Tingha went from calling the plays in the NRL to warming the bench in reserve grade.

Left wondering where it all went wrong and with his world on the rocks, enter Lang.

Have your say on the feedback form below

First he helped Campbell smile again.

Then, with Campbell's days at the Sharks limited, Lang took him across to the Panthers where the playmaker enjoyed his grandest day to lift the title alongside another bloke Campbell credits for helping save his career, Scott Sattler.

"I had that many Sharks supporters say to me, 'thanks for saving Preston' ... I've never seen a player more loved than Preston was at the Sharks," said Lang.

"He is popular everywhere he goes but they adored him at the Sharks and there was never one negative about him leaving.

"And I think the Sharks fans were as happy as anybody when he won a premiership for himself at the Panthers.

"It was a really tough time and it was great that he got through it, more personally than football wise, but for us to then win a premiership at the same time was quite unbelievable."

Still regarding Lang and Sattler as his two closest allies, Campbell reflects on that period as the most turbulent, not just of his career, but his life.

He battled thoughts of suicide.

He began doubting himself and his bags were packed with a return to Tingha appearing certain.

"There were always doubts because as a person sometimes when people doubt you it's then you begin to doubt yourself," he said.

"Luckily I had good people around me and without them sort of guys (Lang and Sattler) I wouldn't have come back, I would have gone home probably.

"They're a big part of my life and my family's life and to be honest I would always be indebted to them."

Any lingering pain subsided when he got his hands on the NRL trophy.

And Lang even laughs that his greatest memories of Presto came when the 34-year-old found himself in the zone that has since bamboozled some of the competition's greatest competitors, leaving them grasping at air.

"The grand final was a great day and my best memory of Preston came when we scored the last try," Lang said.
''Ryan Girdler was off injured and Preston kicked it from the sideline ... he was in the zone, he was pumped ... it was a great day for a lot of us."

Sattler agreed, recalling the moments soaking up the euphoria of their win after the full-time hooter.

"I have a photo from the Chargers of Presto and I looking into the crowd after a game and I remember saying to him 'can you believe where we are now'," Sattler said.

"He endured some dark times.

"But to see Presto go on to have the career he has, to see how many lives he has touched and his impact on and off the field makes it such a pleasure to have enjoyed some of those times together."

Sharks diehards loved Andrew Ettingshausen, Broncos loyalists think the same of Darren Lockyer.

But Lang reckons just like his injured Rabbitohs skipper Luke Stuart, who also leaves the game this season, rugby league loves Presto.

It's why by kick-off tonight, no matter where the game is played, a big crowd will turn out to say goodbye to a champion.

"I think a lot will turn up, actually I know they will," Lang said.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/

DIEHARD
03-09-11, 11:30 AM
Watch this Presto tribute video by the Gold Coast Bulletin - http://video.goldcoast.com.au/2114780490/Preston-Campbell-Tribute

DIEHARD
03-09-11, 11:32 AM
Reverse grand final: Eels, Titans clash to avoid wooden spoon

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/titansvsparra-1.jpg

ONE last time, Parramatta go searching for the 80-minute performance that has mostly deserted them this season. If they don't find it against Gold Coast at Skilled Park tonight, they risk finishing with the wooden spoon for the first time since 1972.

The Titans are so bad it is possible the Eels could get away with concentrating for less than 80 minutes and still beat them, but they are hardly in a position to take that risk. Regardless of all the close games Parramatta have had against much higher-placed opponents than Gold Coast in the last three months, the fact remains that the Eels are in last place - one point behind their opponents tonight.

It is the reverse grand final, the one that no one wants to talk about, but Parramatta coach Stephen Kearney and captain Nathan Hindmarsh had to yesterday as they fulfilled media commitments ahead of flying off to meet their destiny.

Advertisement: Story continues below ''We're trying to get that 80-minute performance,'' Kearney said. ''Not 60 minutes, or 67 minutes. That's been our primary focus this week, and we feel that if we can do that, with the commitment and attitude we've had over the most part of the last three months or so we will give ourselves a good chance.''

The Eels have taken losing the close games to a new level during that time. They have gone down 8-6 to Newcastle, 22-18 to Manly, 16-12 to Brisbane, 23-22 to Penrith, 8-7 to Canterbury, 22-18 to Melbourne and 13-12 to Sydney Roosters. Those three one-point losses all came in golden-point extra-time of games they led near the end of normal time. They were also pegged back in a 14-14 draw against St George Illawarra.

As Eels lock Reni Maitua said during the week: ''If we'd won two-thirds of the close games we'd be in the top eight.''

When the Eels lost the grand final to Melbourne in 2009, Hindmarsh was entitled to think his last few years would be spent punching away at getting another crack. But, instead, last year Parramatta missed the finals and this year they are locked in a desperate battle to avoid running last. Next year will be his last chance.

Hindmarsh has faced Groundhog Day at recent post-match media conferences following narrow losses, when he has had to repeatedly answer the same questions about how disappointing it would be to finish with the wooden spoon. Centre Justin Horo attended in his place after the loss to the Roosters last week. At least now the equation has become simple - the loser runs last.

''It's do-or-die for both teams,'' Hindmarsh said. ''We've trained well all week, and we're really committed to the last game of the year. There's no point in holding anything back. This is it for us - we've got to put everything into it. It would be great to finish the year on a win. We haven't had the best year. We haven't been too far off, but at the end of the day we're playing for the wooden spoon. It's an important game for us.''

Even allowing for the fact they are ahead of Parramatta on the competition table, the Titans look more like they can't wait for the season to end. They were awful in losing 39-10 on the road against Wests Tigers on Monday night at Campbelltown, and have a short turnaround going into this game.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league

DIEHARD
03-09-11, 11:33 AM
Fretful Hindmarsh has no taste for spoonful of gloom

NATHAN Hindmarsh knew things were bad when his six-year- old son and diehard Parramatta supporter Archie gave it to him straight following yet another heartbreaking loss for the Eels.

This time it was against the Sydney Roosters in golden point extra time last Friday night, a game they needed to win to pinch a little bit of breathing space to avoid the wooden spoon.

"He said, 'Nope, I can't do it any more. I'm going for Manly'," Hindmarsh told The Weekend Australian ahead of the battle to avoid last place with the Gold Coast tonight.

"He gets very upset after a loss. He takes it harder than his old man does."

That's hard to believe when you consider Hindmarsh's reaction following the Eels' loss to Wests Tigers a few weeks ago.

The result confined the club to last place in the competition and The Weekend Australian was foolhardy enough to ask the veteran backrower how he felt about the prospect of finishing with the wooden spoon -- the club's first since 1972. Cue a series of death stares and growling answers.

"I thought it was a bit of a silly question, mate, and it probably wasn't the best time to get me after another loss," a more congenial Hindmarsh said. "I suppose the question had to be asked and I suppose it's been in the back of my mind for a while."

Hindmarsh can't remember which moment of the season it was that thoughts of the wooden spoon started entering his head but it would be fair to say that they came after Parramatta's season began to fade at the end of May.

To put into perspective just how tough it has been for the club and its supporters -- including Archie -- the Eels have lost seven games by six points or less since round 12.

They have been on the wrong end of a golden point game three times. If those seven losses had all been wins, the Eels would already be in the top eight and looking forward to finals football. Not that Hindmarsh is looking for excuses. "The hard thing is we've been in a position to win those games," Hindmarsh said. "It's not as if it's been 20-all with 20 minutes to go and they've kicked a field goal. We've been up 18-0 with 15 minutes to go, up by four with two minutes to go and stuff like that.

"That's been the difficult thing -- to know if we had played just that little bit longer we could have won games that may have seen us in semi-finals."

For Hindmarsh it is the bitterest of pills to swallow. He has been a one-club man -- he celebrated his 300th first grade game for the Eels this season -- and has enjoyed plenty of his highs during his career, including two grand final appearances.

Even his lows haven't been too bad. The worst the club has finished during Hindmarsh's time at the Eels was 12th in 2004 and 2010. ""If (coming last) does happen -- and we're hoping it's not going to happen -- it's going to be disappointing for such a proud club," Hindmarsh said . "You'll look and say 'Where did the Eels finish in 2011?' and it may say wooden spoon and that's there forever.

"If we were getting smashed like we did against Souths every week I'd say fair enough.

"But then again at the end of the day you've got to win games to get those two points and keep yourself away from all that."

Hindmarsh refuses to lay the blame at the feet of anyone. Not their best player, Jarryd Hayne, who has been tried at both fullback and five-eighth to stop the rot. Not Daniel Mortimer, who has spent most of the season playing for Wentworthville. And not new coach Stephen Kearney, who has done his best to put his own stamp on the team.

According to the former Test forward, it has just been one of those seasons.

"Obviously it's been something that we've been trying to address but it hasn't quite worked for us," Hindmarsh said. "We haven't hung our heads or anything like that. We've been going out and training really hard and practising things and being really competitive but it's just been an unfortunate season."

It's why Hindmarsh rates tonight's match against the Titans at Skilled Park as one of the most important of his career given the loser is likely to walk away with the wooden spoon. Canberra remains an outside chance mathematically. This from a player who has contested grand finals, worn the Blues jumper for NSW and the green and gold for his country.

He knows it will mean just as much to the Titans who want to send Preston Campbell out a winner in his farewell match.

"There's a massive difference between running last and second last," Hindmarsh said.

"I know we shouldn't talk too much about the spoon thing but we're faced with that situation on Saturday night.

"All we can do is play our best footy and hopefully that's good enough for a win."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/

DIEHARD
03-09-11, 11:45 AM
Preview: Titans v Eels

The disappointment of a season gone wrong will take on a depressing new complexion for the loser of Saturday night's clash at Skilled Park, who will be left carrying the 2011 wooden spoon.

It would be a first for the Titans but for Gold Coast fans with long memories, a throwback to the bad old days when the Gold Coast Seagulls collected the competition's booby prize in 1991-92-93. Parramatta followers have not experienced the humiliation of finishing last since 1972.

Both of these clubs have suffered incredible falls from grace in a short period. This time last year the Titans were preparing for their second successive finals series and they eventually made it all the way to a grand final qualifier against the Sydney Roosters.

The Eels, meanwhile, were the boom team of 2009, making their sensational charge all the way to the grand final where they went down valiantly to Melbourne.

But this year it has all gone wrong for the Titans and the Eels and victories for both teams have been few and far between.

Look for a Titans try as First Scoring Play and take the home side at the 1-12 margin.

Best chances for First Tryscorer are David Mead, William Zillman and Steve Michaels for the Titans or Luke Burt, Justin Horo or Jarryd Hayne for Parramatta.

Gold Coast v Parramatta
Skilled Park
Saturday night 7.30pm

Gold Coast Titans
1 Jordan Rankin, 2 Steve Michaels, 3 Esi Tonga, 4 Clinton Toopi, 5 David Mead , 6 William Zillman, 7 Preston Campbell [c], 8 Luke Bailey, 9 Matt Srama, 10 Matthew White, 11 Anthony Laffranchi, 12 Mark Minichiello, 13 Greg Bird. Subs: 14 Brenton Lawrence, 15 Will Matthews , 16 Bodene Thompson, 17 Luke O'Dwyer.

Parramatta Eels
1 Luke Burt, 2 Ryan Morgan, 3 Justin Horo, 4 Ben Smith, 5 Chris Hicks, 6 Jarryd Hayne, 7 Casey McGuire, 8 Tim Mannah, 9 Matt Keating, 10 Fuifui Moimoi, 11 Nathan Hindmarsh [c], 12 Taniela Lasalo, 13 Reni Maitua. Subs: 15 Shane Shackleton, 16 Mitchell Allgood, 17 Pat O'Hanlon, 20 Justin Poore.

Prediction - Matthew O'Neill: Eels by 12

OVERALL:
Total Games: 21
Gold Coast Titans wins: 10. [Pts: 378]
Parramatta Eels wins: 11. [Pts: 435]
Draws: 0

Biggest wins:
Gold Coast Titans: 26 pts: 2007 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 7 - [View] Sun: Gold Coast Titans 38 d. Parramatta Eels 12 [Crowd: 18021]
Parramatta Eels: 40 pts: 1990 J J Giltinan Shield and Winfield Cup - Round 15 - [View] Sun Jul 8: Eels 40 d. Gold Coast 0 [Crowd: 12303]

Biggest Crowd: 2009 NRL Telstra Premiership - Finals Week 2 - [View] Fri: Parramatta Eels 27 d. Gold Coast Titans 2 [Crowd: 28524]

Last 50 games against each other form line (most recent matches at end of line):
Gold Coast Titans: WLLWLWLLWWWLLLLWWWLWL
Parramatta Eels: LWWLWLWWLLLWWWWLLLWLW

Last 10 games:
2011 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 7 - [View] Sun: Parramatta Eels 22 d. Gold Coast Titans 18 [Crowd: 10052]
2010 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 22 - [View] Fri: Gold Coast Titans 34 d. Parramatta Eels 12 [Crowd: 19568]
2009 NRL Telstra Premiership - Finals Week 2 - [View] Fri: Parramatta Eels 27 d. Gold Coast Titans 2 [Crowd: 28524]
2009 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 18 - [View] Mon: Gold Coast Titans 18 d. Parramatta Eels 12 [Crowd: 14009]
2008 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 5 - [View] Fri: Parramatta Eels 20 l. Gold Coast Titans 28 [Crowd: 13321]
2007 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 7 - [View] Sun: Gold Coast Titans 38 d. Parramatta Eels 12 [Crowd: 18021]
1998 National Rugby League - Round 8 - [View] Sat May 2: Eels 24 d. Gold Coast 2 [Crowd: 6063]
1998 National Rugby League - Round 2 - [View] Sat Mar 21: Gold Coast 12 l. Eels 14 [Crowd: 9734]
1997 Optus Cup - Round 19 - [View] Sat Aug 9: Gold Coast 8 l. Eels 18 [Crowd: 13182]
1997 Optus Cup - Round 8 - [View] Sat Apr 26: Eels 28 d. Gold Coast 10 [Crowd: 10093]

Overall record at Skilled Park, Robina, Gold Coast (QLD) Stats:
Gold Coast Titans: 49 games, won 30, drawn 0, lost 19.
Last 5 games:
2011 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 24 - [View] Sat: Gold Coast Titans 26 d. Canberra Raiders 18
2011 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 23 - [View] Sat: Gold Coast Titans 16 l. Melbourne Storm 40
2011 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 20 - [View] Sat: Gold Coast Titans 20 l. North Queensland Cowboys 28
2011 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 16 - [View] Sat: Gold Coast Titans 12 l. Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 36
2011 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 13 - [View] Sat: Gold Coast Titans 10 l. Penrith Panthers 23

Parramatta Eels: 2 games, won 0, drawn 0, lost 2.
Last 5 games:
2010 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 22 - [View] Fri: Gold Coast Titans 34 d. Parramatta Eels 12
2009 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 18 - [View] Mon: Gold Coast Titans 18 d. Parramatta Eels 12

Head to Head at Skilled Park, Robina, Gold Coast (QLD) Stats:
Total Games: 2
Gold Coast Titans wins: 2. [Pts: 52]
Parramatta Eels wins: 0. [Pts: 24]
Draws: 0

Last 2 games:
2010 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 22 - [View] Fri: Gold Coast Titans 34 d. Parramatta Eels 12 [Crowd: 19568]
2009 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 18 - [View] Mon: Gold Coast Titans 18 d. Parramatta Eels 12 [Crowd: 14009]

http://www.rleague.com/c

DIEHARD
03-09-11, 11:46 AM
Eels' Nathan Hindmarsh, Tim Mannah face nude Monday

EELS captain Nathan Hindmarsh and prop Tim Mannah should be desperate to score their first try of 2011 against Gold Coast on Saturday or suffer an embarrassing fate.

The two Eels stars are among those facing the dreaded ``nudie run’‘, for players who didn’t manage a try during the competition, when Parramatta players hold their ``Mad Monday’’ celebrations next week.

Forward Reni Maitua told The Advertiser the team would honour the long-held rugby league tradition on Monday morning.

``Most of the beginning of Mad Monday will be inhouse because there’s a few players who haven’t scored a try this year. That involves a bit of male nudity, which is a bit weird. It’s a bit of a tradition in rugby league,’’ he said.

``It wouldn’t be such a weird thing for an old Parramatta player to run through the streets nude, back in the day, but times have changed. We’ll have to get those formalities done behind closed doors early on Monday.’‘

Back-rower Pat O’Hanlon, although a youngster at 20, has not been spared from the ritual and is another in the frame.

Maitua would not reveal the venues for Monday’s activities but said there would be fancy dress and then the team would ``drown our sorrows’‘.

Source: Parramatta Eels

DIEHARD
03-09-11, 11:46 AM
Emotions high for Titans

Emotions are running high on the Gold Coast as the Titans plan to farewell a host of players leaving the club with a win over Parramatta in Saturday night's bottom-of-the-table clash at Skilled Park.

The tourist strip club will avoid the wooden spoon if they can knock off the Eels but they have far more motivation heading into the match aside from their desire to dodge the dreaded booby prize.

Clinton Toopi (retirement), Riley Brown (Newcastle local league), Luke Capewell (Broncos), Anthony Laffranchi (St Helens), Will Matthews (Dragons), Preston Campbell (retirement), Esi Tonga (Parramatta), Nathan Friend (NZ Warriors), Brad Meyers (retirement), Mat Rogers (retirement), Shannon Walker (rugby sevens) and Joe Tomane (ACT Brumbies) have all either left the club or will do so at the end of the season.

It's the biggest player exodus in the Titans' short history and Laffranchi said the realisation that the current group would never be together again was starting to sink in.

"As the week's winding down with this, the last session, it's starting to get a little emotional," he said.

"Saturday night will be a great occasion and one I'll cherish."

Laffranchi was the Titans' fourth ever signing after jumping ship from the Tigers in 2007 and over the course of his five-year spell at Robina, it proved to be an inspired move.

It was at the Titans where Laffranchi, who grew up in Murwillumbah, just 13km south of the Queensland border, earned his first ever State of Origin and Test jumpers.

"I've played my best footy here," he said.

"I'm happy outside of rugby league here, and that plays a big part in your performance."

"I'm definitely settled here on the Coast, with family and friends here. It's great to have your support network behind you."

"Being an inaugural member (of the squad), our fourth signing... just seeing the club build itself from the ground up has been the most proud part."

Murwillumbah junior Laffranchi said although they will be spurred on by the forthcoming player departures, him and his team-mates cannot avoid the spectre of the spoon.

"It's there in our face," he said.

"But purely, there's going to be a lot of emotion on Saturday night."

"You just want to finish the year on a high and it just comes into account that we are playing for the wooden spoon."

"That's something I haven't had in my career and I'll be doing everything possible on Saturday night (to avoid it)."

http://www.sportal.com.au/

DIEHARD
03-09-11, 11:47 AM
Davey reports that the latest PAX number for todays game is 23765.

I'd encourage as many people to get tickets or walk up as possible.

Let's get a massive crowd.

teke
03-09-11, 02:51 PM
What does PAX mean?

dee13
03-09-11, 03:29 PM
What does PAX mean?

Pax in the hospitality world usually mean people. So if someone says "We had 25 Pax through the door" that means, 25 people through the door.

Smakked
03-09-11, 05:41 PM
I'm here don't know what anyone looks like ll

Titanic
03-09-11, 06:57 PM
We are freakin disgraceful disgraceful disgraceful

I have no idea why any self-respecting Titans fan could would or should watch this 0-16

borama1
03-09-11, 06:59 PM
We are freakin disgraceful disgraceful disgraceful

I have no idea why any self-respecting Titans fan could would or should watch this 0-18

and when the spoon comes marching in

Titanic
03-09-11, 07:02 PM
The only good thing about this is there is only 60 minutes to go. Preston has forgotten the team and just playing for himself.

Titanic
03-09-11, 07:09 PM
4 from 10 completions after 30

Titanic
03-09-11, 07:11 PM
commentators say diabolical 4 from 12 and Eels in again 20 zip with the kick to come

gotitans101
03-09-11, 07:12 PM
This is absolutely disgusting.

The people who think we'll turn this mess around next year because we bought a few new players must be kidding themselves.

Titanic
03-09-11, 07:17 PM
whoever says the coach is blameless is a freakin' myopic fool

Titanic
03-09-11, 07:18 PM
apart from those leaving - thank goodness; O'Dwyer, Michaels, Minchiello, Zillman and Rankin need to go QCup

Titanic
03-09-11, 07:22 PM
If you want to know why Parra haven't scored for a while, it's because it's half time.

teke
03-09-11, 07:24 PM
:laugh: :laugh:

Hold the ball you useless f's

borama1
03-09-11, 07:24 PM
whoever says the coach is blameless is a freakin' myopic fool

yep, but most titans fans are naive and they dont blame anyone let alone supercoach carty

teke
03-09-11, 07:26 PM
whoever says the coach is blameless is a freakin' myopic foolNot blameless but I would like to see any coach win this game...wouldnt you agree. There is at least 6 players that would struggle in Q Cup out there

gotitans101
03-09-11, 07:27 PM
If you want to know why Parra haven't scored for a while, it's because it's half time.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Titanic
03-09-11, 07:34 PM
Not blameless but I would like to see any coach win this game...wouldnt you agree. There is at least 6 players that would struggle in Q Cup out there

yes sure but they are there because of the coach in the first place. Injuries are not the issue - this is about execution.

gotitans101
03-09-11, 07:40 PM
Eels in again.

26-0.

What a way to send Preston out. Team should be ashamed of this rubbish.

Titanic
03-09-11, 07:40 PM
2nd half starts ... Michaels and O'Dwyer conspire to let Parra in again 26-o

gotitans101
03-09-11, 07:42 PM
you gotta give credit to Hayne though, he's been awesome tonight.

32-0.

Titanic
03-09-11, 07:43 PM
repeat my previous comment 32-0 with the kick to come

GCTitans11
03-09-11, 07:47 PM
What a way to send a legend out.... Shame on you titans!!! This kind of performance use to upset me at the beginning of the year, now it is just the norm.

Titanic
03-09-11, 07:51 PM
nah this is bad ... really bad ... why the crowd stay has me beat.

Timmy Titans
03-09-11, 07:53 PM
I slightly enjoy watching them lose, then crack jokes about how bad they are with mates.

gotitans101
03-09-11, 07:56 PM
Errors: 10-3 Titans

Says it all really.

GCTitans11
03-09-11, 08:01 PM
13 handling errors!!! Those the bloody ball have spiders on it.

borama1
03-09-11, 08:07 PM
ha and they think they can buy a premiership next year, the whole titans organisation is to blame, the players the coach the management in charge of young talent and buying and getting rid of players. they all need to be scrapped bar a few individual players like mead and gordon and bull.

CairnsTitan
03-09-11, 08:10 PM
ha and they think they can buy a premiership next year, the whole titans organisation is to blame, the players the coach the management in charge of young talent and buying and getting rid of players. they all need to be scrapped bar a few individual players like mead and gordon and bull.

I agree with you

teke
03-09-11, 08:20 PM
:laugh: :laugh:

Mead you little beauty...gets me the dolla$$$ after the bell :banana:

teke
03-09-11, 08:21 PM
yes sure but they are there because of the coach in the first place. Injuries are not the issue - this is about execution.Execution? what are coaches supposed to do about nuffies? drop balls the coaches fault....noooo

gotitans101
03-09-11, 08:26 PM
God I hope Mead NEVER, EVER leaves the Titans. He's always there to save the day.

although Bull & Srama deserve just as much praise for that try.

borama1
03-09-11, 08:30 PM
Execution? what are coaches supposed to do about nuffies? drop balls the coaches fault....noooo

drop balls arent that bad if you can coach defense well to hold out teams like melbourne manly and st george, as well as coach good attack like wests tigers, however the titans have neither which means the coach IS to blame, its no wonder why melbourne and the top sides are in fact top sides, because they are COACHED well, bellamy and bennett turn rejected chumps into rep players in mere weeks, hasler makes a team like manly nurture their rookies into stars quick like daly cherry evans and last years hodgkinson, wayne bennett gives you mental toughness to hold out defensively and to stick to the game plan, and griffin just tells you to believe and how to attack and defend well. We have none of these traits.

teke
03-09-11, 08:36 PM
drop balls arent that bad if you can coach defense well to hold out teams like melbourne manly and st george, as well as coach good attack like wests tigers, however the titans have neither which means the coach IS to blame, its no wonder why melbourne and the top sides are in fact top sides, because they are COACHED well, bellamy and bennett turn rejected chumps into rep players in mere weeks, hasler makes a team like manly nurture their rookies into stars quick like daly cherry evans and last years hodgkinson, wayne bennett gives you mental toughness to hold out defensively and to stick to the game plan, and griffin just tells you to believe and how to attack and defend well. We have none of these traits.Hasler, Bellamy, Bennett would not turn this team into anything...the Titans have dug deep into reserves before the season started. There were alot of players out there that would not make any other side.

Holding the ball goes a long lone way to helping your own defence out.

Anyhoo...it's all over.

Next years Season will be called...

Rags to Riches...B@#$%s :laugh: :laugh: :banana: :banana:

Smakked
03-09-11, 08:47 PM
Glad teh season is over, but what a way to finish ????

Ryan
03-09-11, 08:53 PM
drop balls arent that bad if you can coach defense well to hold out teams like melbourne manly and st george, as well as coach good attack like wests tigers, however the titans have neither which means the coach IS to blame, its no wonder why melbourne and the top sides are in fact top sides, because they are COACHED well, bellamy and bennett turn rejected chumps into rep players in mere weeks, hasler makes a team like manly nurture their rookies into stars quick like daly cherry evans and last years hodgkinson, wayne bennett gives you mental toughness to hold out defensively and to stick to the game plan, and griffin just tells you to believe and how to attack and defend well. We have none of these traits.
Who needs Hasler, Bellamy & Bennett when you've got a forum of experts like this? Does that magical armchair you sit in which gives you all this experience & hindsight come with a remote button that can make it all happen? Maybe it's got a 'rewind' button so you can go back and see who was coaching the team for the last two years when we were on top?

It was a sh!t season where multiple problems compounded and produced a wooden spoon. Thank **** it's over. You can repetitively whinge, whine and moan depressing & negative sh!t like a ***** on rags about what's happened this season and what will\wont happen next season - but where's it gonna get ya? Bring on next season....

bigjim
03-09-11, 08:54 PM
Beaten 32-12 by the other worst team in the league this year. Says it all really. Parramatta didn't deserve the wooden spoon though, we did. They at least have been putting in the effort this year. They've just been very unlucky on more than a few occasions. Titans on the other hand, just haven't put in at all this year.
I love Cartwright saying we all should get out to Skilled, support the boys and send them off in style this year. So what happens. A lot of fans make the effort, travel to the game to give them the big send off and they play worse than a Queensland Cup team and loose 32 -12.
Good Effort Boys!!

borama1
03-09-11, 09:09 PM
Who needs Hasler, Bellamy & Bennett when you've got a forum of experts like this? Does that magical armchair you sit in which gives you all this experience & hindsight come with a remote button that can make it all happen? Maybe it's got a 'rewind' button so you can go back and see who was coaching the team for the last two years when we were on top?

It was a sh!t season where multiple problems compounded and produced a wooden spoon. Thank **** it's over. You can repetitively whinge, whine and moan depressing & negative sh!t like a ***** on rags about what's happened this season and what will\wont happen next season - but where's it gonna get ya? Bring on next season....

good we had 2 good years and now we are figured out simple, so obviously we gotta change our style of play, and ok fine no one will whinge or give personal opinions(i thought that was what a forum was for) but then you cant do that either since you are also an armchair critic

C-Whiz
03-09-11, 10:26 PM
nah this is bad ... really bad ... why the crowd stay has me beat.Only to show respect to the players who are leaving. No other reason.

That was easily the longest 80 minutes of football I have ever sat through. I wanted to leave after the first 20. It was just terrible. No excuses. It just was.

I have a lot of anger running through me at the moment, over a whole lot of issues, so i won't vent it all right now, but I can say that I am not the same Titans fan as I was at the start of this year, or even at the start of this game.

And if people want to crap on about being a diehard fan and all that BS, go ahead. The team, the management, the coaching staff, almost everyone who has anything to do with the way the team performs out on the field, should be given a show-cause letter before they are given a new contract.

There are no more excuses. I know there will be lots of "just wait til next year" etc, but as fans we have an entitlement to expect that when your team is battling for the wooden spoon, against the other ****test team in the comp, and you are playing at home, with a good crowd that has turned out and done their part, then you expect better than the $#!T that was served up tonight.

And that was me NOT venting. I have heaps more to get rid of, but I'll let it go for now.

The only other thing I have to say is that the wooden spoon went to the team that most deserved it. At least we can honestly say we did earn something this year.

**edit** ps, sorry to the guys who are leaving on this sad, sad ending. Well done for all your efforts. You know who you are, and you are not responsible for any of this.

Titans13
03-09-11, 10:41 PM
Tough season boys but as a member i was very happy at the way most of the Titans came round and took photos and signed every1s stuff SOOOO glad we got to chat to presto and get him to sign my presto shirt, he is a champion and its sad to see him go but 2012 here we come...:-) Great to see the crowd out too

Bayside Titan
03-09-11, 10:45 PM
13 handling errors!!! Those the bloody ball have spiders on it.
I was wondering the same thing. However this has been the case all year. Pushing passes when they shouldn't and just flat out dropping the ball. It seems that there is or was no respect for the pill.

The one thing I have noticed from this year to last year that the player box has been quiet compared to last year. Last year there was a team sitting in the box. This year it just looks and feels like individuals that just happen to belong to the same club.

I agree that its " All said and done" I guess I like alot of people ask " What Happened to this year"? However I remember the old saying" We're not playing for Sheep Stations" as supports/ Members. RIP 2011 and I'll look ahead to 2012 with hope and anticipation.

Toads
03-09-11, 10:56 PM
It was a good paper plane comp from around the 60 minute mark in the Eastern stand, seeing who could make the best one 'n try and get it the furthest onto the paddock.

Infact, it was as if everyone gave up on the footy 'n was more involved with the paper planes, lol.

Boofhead
Not much to say really, thank **** the season is over.

Preston tried his heart out till the end, hope our roster next year can muster up a morsel of his passion...

Boofhead
It was a good paper plane comp from around the 60 minute mark in the Eastern stand, seeing who could make the best one 'n try and get it the furthest onto the paddock.

Infact, it was as if everyone gave up on the footy 'n was more involved with the paper planes, lol.

That was classic, did get hit in the noggin a few times though haha.

Titanic
03-09-11, 11:12 PM
To all you guys who are on here week in week out, whatever your feelings are about whatever is topical on any given day, at this end point of our season I have several things I would like to put out there:

1. Positive, negative or neutral opinions are everybody's right ... like it or lump it.
2. The vast majority if not 100% on here are Titans fans, so taking shots at anyone here is really counter productive and not in the spirit of the forum.
3. Debating issues is exactly what the forum is about, imho. For it to be one great love-in without robust debate would not serve the best interests of the club.
4. The club has had arguably the worst season ever by a Queensland club. There can be no excuses as history will remember 2011 for what it is and no glossing over poor execution, eclectic selections and elementary playing patterens with injuries, player movements and warm/fuzzy next year will be great chest-beatings will erase the reality of the wooden spoon.

Finally, thanks to you all for making this one very distant but committed Titans supporter feel a part of it all ... you are all worth your weight in titanium.

Ps. can't we find a goddamned 5/8, please?

teke
04-09-11, 12:20 AM
To all you guys who are on here week in week out, whatever your feelings are about whatever is topical on any given day, at this end point of our season I have several things I would like to put out there:

1. Positive, negative or neutral opinions are everybody's right ... like it or lump it.
2. The vast majority if not 100% on here are Titans fans, so taking shots at anyone here is really counter productive and not in the spirit of the forum.
3. Debating issues is exactly what the forum is about, imho. For it to be one great love-in without robust debate would not serve the best interests of the club.
4. The club has had arguably the worst season ever by a Queensland club. There can be no excuses as history will remember 2011 for what it is and no glossing over poor execution, eclectic selections and elementary playing patterens with injuries, player movements and warm/fuzzy next year will be great chest-beatings will erase the reality of the wooden spoon.

Finally, thanks to you all for making this one very distant but committed Titans supporter feel a part of it all ... you are all worth your weight in titanium.

Ps. can't we find a goddamned 5/8, please?:laugh: :laugh:

Boonarga
04-09-11, 12:24 AM

Ah! I was wondering what all the cheering was over that way.

Anyway, I drove 4 hrs each way for two reasons. To watch Marmin Barba play, and to see the Titans put in a good effort.
0 for 2.

borama1
04-09-11, 01:16 AM

Ps. can't we find a goddamned 5/8, please?

this. everything you said is correct see you next year mate

teke
04-09-11, 02:23 AM
I just had to laugh at Michaels tonight, poor fella looked like he was skating on ice when the eels went over for their first try and then in the 2nd half he went for a slips catch but missed it by a good 4 mtrs, goodness gracious :laugh:

TITAN PETE
04-09-11, 07:40 AM
As Whiz said I was walking out the door 20 minutes in but I stayed till I was kicked out of the stadium due to the respect that the departing "Fab 4" deserved ... It has been an Brilliant to watch these guys play over the 5 years.

On the game all I'll say is Presto played his guts out & I'm excited about how good Rankin & Srama will be next season...

I was also "Lucky Enough" to get King Presto to sign my Wooden Spoon :D

DIEHARD
04-09-11, 12:01 PM
I was also "Lucky Enough" to get King Presto to sign my Wooden Spoon :D

You have one too? LOL great idea. Presto really took the edge off it with his "Ill use my wooden spoon to stir my podridge" comment.

Greg and I got some wooden spoons from Woolies and they were in my bag till fulltime cause Im supersitous. But damn, they were supposed to be for Parra. But oh well, a momento for a hard 2011...

It's been a tough year, losing key players early and it just kept coming. The amount of players we have out and their ability is heartbreaking. Then with the players we did have, we moved them around. I think Preston should have always been playing 5/8th since 2007.

It was our worst game of the season and it is hard to argue that we deserve it when we couldnt beat Parramatta on any of the two occasions that we played them.

Time to mourn and lick our wounds. Go and do what fuels your soul and recharge your batteries. Players, supporters and officials all included. Then we meet back for pre-season and put this all behind us.

The spoon at least puts us under the radar for 2012 and we can ambush alot of teams, hopefully the Broncos.

I'll miss Laffranchi, Meyers, Friendy so much. They were the heart and soul of our club and brought so many different things to the table.

I'd like to thank all the loyal supporters out there who stayed true and cheered on the team and didnt get much in reward.

To tell the truth most of the warmth and memories for me this season comes from the supporters. You have made 2011 very much worth it.

Now lets remember how this feels how much it pains. Because when we reach the heights we must never ever lose the prospective. I actually believe that clubs such as the Broncos are lesser because they have never known something like this.

Princey's Titanz
04-09-11, 12:07 PM
Titans worst team of the comp of 2011. The 3 things that made Titans the worst team is because...

1. No respect for the footy. The Titans do not handle the footy well and most of the time an error occurs of a break or when momentum shifts towards the Titans. Also we give away worthless penalties.

2. Attacking play. No attacking play means no tries. Its as simple as tht. Titans have NO creativity when attacking and most of the time we really on poor old David Mead for something to happen. When we are in the oppositions 10 we seem so lifeless and to add to it we just take hit ups until its last and then Presto or Princey kicks and we hope Micheals, Mead or Zilly leap up and score.

We have no passing play and we barely run decoys or try to create overlaps. If we tried to create overlaps and have a good passing play then there will be a time where Srama will be successful in making the opposition think that he will pass to Princey but instead darts from dummy half to score.

3. Poor Defence. Bad defence leads to losing games. We have shocking defence because we dont put pressure on the other team. It looks like a stoll in the park when the opposition team scores. We always seem to get clustered around the ruck and also it seems easy for the opposition to create an overlap.

These 3 things are the most vital parts in footy. If these 3 things are executed well then footy teams are competitive. If you dont then your certainly going to win the wooden spoon. That is wat the Titans did.

The thing that puts a feeling of sadness in my stomach is that how are they going to fix these 3 vital components in footy over the off season? Can 7 new players fix this problem? Im scared to think abt Titans playing as bad as this next yr. Just hope and pray it will happen.

karnage
04-09-11, 01:58 PM
A recent review conducted into the Australian cricket team stated that they were deficient in 3 key areas:
Batting
Bowling
Fielding

If we had a review into our performance any even minded individual would have to conclude that we were deficient in:
Attack
Defense
Discipline

Only blind optimism could lead anybody to believe that an offseason with the same coaching staff will rectify these problems.

You're living in the past Ryan. Cartwright has well and truly expended any credit he gained in the 2009/10 campaigns. To say Bennet or Bellamy woukd not have done any better is ridiculous. His job is obviously safe but he needs to be put under pressure. He needs to know that if he can't have us up and running soon that he will be shown the door. That should start with the signing if an assistant coach like Ben Anderson from Tweed who can step straight in if we don't.

We are the worst team in the comp. We will start next year long odds to make the 8 and among the 2 or 3 favorites to win the spoon.

teke
04-09-11, 03:00 PM
To say Bennet or Bellamy woukd not have done any better is ridiculous.Strongly disagree.

karnage
04-09-11, 03:45 PM
Strongly disagree.

That's fair enough. This is entirely hypothetical obviously. I just can't imagine a team coached by them having such a disgraceful attacking structure and such disgraceful attention to detail.

teke
04-09-11, 05:02 PM
That's fair enough. This is entirely hypothetical obviously. I just can't imagine a team coached by them having such a disgraceful attacking structure and such disgraceful attention to detail.If you were referring to last night then not even god almighty would have done anything to help the Titans. In regards to the year savaged by injury and whatnot the coaches in question wouldnt have got this squad near the semis, possibly a few more pts but you have to compare this team to the ones playing in the 8. Night and Day difference.

As you say it's all hypothetical and I hope you are NOT right about the Coaches cause if you are 2012 will not be a nice one.

TitansFan2020
04-09-11, 05:16 PM
I hope our next signing is a halfs coach. Successful halves=Successful Team.
Look at Manly, they have an average team with only a few big names but their halves are so skilled they manage to handle everything thrown at them. Broncs, Storm, Tigers and Cowboys it is all the same. It will determine a teams slickness and unpredictability. That is why we need a halves coach :)

teke
04-09-11, 05:23 PM
I hope our next signing is a halfs coach. Successful halves=Successful Team.
Look at Manly, they have an average team with only a few big names but their halves are so skilled they manage to handle everything thrown at them. Broncs, Storm, Tigers and Cowboys it is all the same. It will determine a teams slickness and unpredictability. That is why we need a halves coach :)Whoa whoa whoa, Manly has an average team?

Matai, Watmough, Stewarts, Hoppa, King, Robertson...should I keep going on

DIEHARD
04-09-11, 05:23 PM
Halves coach! Halves coach! Halves coach!

DIEHARD
04-09-11, 05:25 PM
Manly are so bloody spoilt having two amazing young halves. One Kiwi and one Queenslander. Maybe we should cast our nets further and keep more of an eye on young Queensland talent, because it's coming through and we are well placed to take over from the Storm to sign young Queenslanders in the future.

eelectrica
04-09-11, 05:27 PM
Halves/backs coach and STABILITY in the halves!
We'd need a calculator to figure out how many 5/8ths we've tried this year.

The forward pack should be as good as any in the comp. We'll have try scorers in the backs. Hopefully K. Gordan will be set for the start of next season too!

SunnyCoastTitanFan
05-09-11, 02:55 PM
Well my thoughts on this game is that

1. The referees made a lot of poor decisions against us with second efforts, yet Parra were offside all night, made plenty of high tackles and stripped/the ball out of our grasp, and they got away with all those :mad:

2. The Eels scored probably 4 out of 6 tries from pure luck, and not from set plays, after it got to 16 zip, we lost confidence as has been the story for mist of the year.

3. You can't win a game with 18 handling errors, 5 penalties conceded, a 58% completion rate and 38% of possession.

The ceremony after the game was a nice way to send off the departing players, and I got to meet Presto after the game and had him sign a poster (along with most of the team), however just seeing the way Presto was interacting with the other fans and myself really shows how humble a person he is. I think we are really privileged to have had him as part of our club. :salute:

Titanic
05-09-11, 09:07 PM
Cartwright was an excellent ball playing forward but our forwards show little of that. Gilly was an excellent knock 'em down backrower but we show little of that. Our backs coach is a touch man, we certainly show plenty of that.

What I would really love to see is Idris, Champion, Thompson, James, Bird poking their heads through and seeing Srama, Zillman, Mead, Gordon wanting to run off them.