PDA

View Full Version : NRL: Upsized Tigers won't sacrifice pace

DeeGan
17-01-06, 05:55 PM
Upsized Tigers won't sacrifice pace
By Tom Wald
January 17, 2006

WEST Tigers have upsized their pack but that doesn't mean the NRL premier will compromise its biggest asset: speed.

Keith Galloway, one of three large forward recruits, has been blown away by the pace of Wests Tigers since moving from the Sharks in the off-season.

"Just the speed, the speed of everything they do at training and stuff like that, they are just a really quick side in everything they do," Galloway said.

The red-headed forward has shed 4kg since moving to Wests Tigers.

Galloway, 20, was told by Tigers coach Tim Sheens on arrival to lose some body fat in order to fit the team's high-octane style.

The arrival of Galloway, Ryan O'Hara (Canberra) and Sam Harris (Manly) has added some serious bulk to the Wests Tigers pack, which was considered too small by many until the side swept to the 2006 title.

But Galloway said he and O'Hara were working overtime to keep up with their new teammates.

"They are a really fit side," he said.

"They like doing extra and I know myself and Ryan have really boosted our training to try and match them."

Premiership prop John Skandalis meanwhile said the new faces had ensured complacency didn't seep into the club.

"There won't be much talk of a small pack this year," Skandalis quipped.

The former Western Suburbs player believes the Wests Tigers pack can be more formidable than the under-rated unit that conquered North Queensland in last season's grand final.

"If everyone performs and the top-quality players we have recruited and everyone fits in well, I can't see why not," he said.

"I am really looking forward to seeing how we combine."

Skandalis felt the side would be foolish to change too much from the helter-skelter style that led to the joint-venture club's maiden premiership.

"We don't want to go away from what has been working for us, we just need to find that balance," he said.

"I think every year the game changes. It is just a matter of the coaching staff working what is best for us.

"We are pretty lucky we have that size in guys like Keith Galloway, Ryan O'Hara and Sam Harris. They are big units and then we have the mobility as well."

Galloway, best known for being on the wrong end of an ugly high tackle from Manly John Hopoate last season, is expected to play a key role off the bench this season.

"I am still young and still have a lot to prove and have not done much in the game," he said.

"I am just out to be the best I can be, and keep improving my game."

Agence France-Presse

The Wests Tigers have improved an already really good team in 2006 with some key forward signings that if anything will give them depth. The loss of Richards out wide is not to be underestimated though I still feel the Wests Tigers are not going to be a one-year wonders team. I see a similar performance from the Tigers to that of Penrith in 2004 after winning the premiereship.

DeeGan

Eel 33
18-01-06, 03:27 PM
Just bring home the World Club Challenge Tigers, and shut the Poms up once and for all.