PDA

View Full Version : Gilchrist is rested by Australia

DeeGan
17-01-06, 09:35 AM
Gilchrist is rested by Australia

Out-of-form Australian wicket-keeper Adam Gilchrist is being rested for the next two VB Series matches.

He is being replaced by New South Wales' Brad Haddin for the games against South Africa and Sri Lanka on 20 and 22 January.

Chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns said: "We're very mindful of the heavy workload that Adam has and this rest period was scheduled."

Gilchrist was also reported for dissent in Australia's loss to South Africa

Gilchrist was seen having an argument with Pakistani umpire Aleem Dar over a run-out involving South African batsman Boeta Dippenaar.

Television replays showed the batsman should have been given out but Dar gave him the benefit of the doubt and did not refer the matter to the video umpire.

It is classed as a level one offence and Gilchrist can be given an official reprimand and/or fined up to the equivalent of 50% of his match fee.

The hearing will be held in Adelaide on 25 January, two days after he returns to the squad.

Gilchrist, 34, has not been in good form in the VB Series so far, scoring 13 and nought in two innings.

"We find a rest gives players a well earned opportunity to freshen up," said Hohns.

Haddin, 28, has played 11 one-day internationals for Australia since making his debut against Zimbabwe in 2001.

Hohns added: "Brad has performed well for Australia previously and we have every confidence he'll go well this time around."

Australia beat Sri Lanka by 116 runs in the first match but lost by five wickets to South Africa on Sunday.

Why couldn't this "rest" not have happened before the pointless three one dayers in NZ when Gilchrist was well in need of a break?

Gilchrist is out of sorts and it may be time to think about giving the one day game away to prolong his test career. With the 2007 World Cup so close, this is not going to happen I feel, though it would make sense as the work load IMO and is catching up on the aging star.

Brad Haddin is a really good wicket keeper/batsmen who will slip right in to the side in which we lose relatively nothing. No, he is no Gilchrist with the bat (though he is better with the blade when comparing to former greats Marsh and Healy) and his work behind the stumps is on par if not better than Gilchrist.

The right move made though a month or two late.

DeeGan

Eel 33
17-01-06, 09:44 AM
Haddin will do a good job, but he'll have to watch his back. Queensland Keeper Chris Hartley will be snapping at his heels should he fail. He will be the next Australian Keeper.

Titanium_BD1103
17-01-06, 10:18 AM
Yep Chris Hartley is good.. but Haddin deserves his chance.. and l am sure he will do a good job... :)

I am sure there are a lot of people who would say that the NZ one dayers were not pointless, and IMO they actually point to how future one day series should be played, as I think this VB Series concept is starting to lose its flair, I would prefer 3 match series, one against NZ at the start of the summer, and one against another side at the end... ;)

But yes, I agree Gilchrist should have been rested then and there, but sadly he wasn't and he is getting frustrated, good to see him get the break, and lets hope the rest can do him some good, even I agree he was a bit overboard on Sunday with Dippenaer.. but whether he deserved to be charged with dissent, I think not.. :(

Steelers
17-01-06, 01:57 PM
IT's official. New Zealand cricket spectators are more important than Australian fans.

No other conclusion can be drawn after Cricket Australia approved a rest for exhausted and struggling batsman-wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist.

He will miss Australia's next two one-day matches: against South Africa in Melbourne on Friday and Sri Lanka in Sydney on Sunday.

Sadly, the game's governing body in this country was not nearly so enlightened when the selectors requested that one of Australia's most important players be spared the three-match Chappell-Hadlee Trophy in New Zealand last month.

Chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns had already told the brilliant playmaker he could go and spend a week with his wife and family after the West Indies Test series for a desperately needed rest during the busiest year of his career, which included a difficult Ashes campaign and a brilliant ICC Super Series in October.

However, in an appalling piece of man management, CA insisted that Gilchrist tour for the sake of a newly created and instantly forgotten one-day tournament.

So the tens of thousands of cricket fans in Melbourne and Sydney who have paid up to $50 a seat to watch Australia's finest go around can rightly feel short-changed.

If Gilchrist had been rested from the New Zealand frolic, as the selectors suggested for the long-term good of an ageing side heading into next year's World Cup, then the supporters at Telstra Dome and the SCG over the next week or so would have nothing to complain about.

The dashing left hander is 34. He is in the latter stages of a remarkable career and must be carefully nursed if he is to be at his best through next season's much anticipated Ashes contest and the World Cup which follows in the Caribbean.

It is difficult to see how defying the selectors and failing to show faith in such a strong and successful panel is doing the best by Australian cricket or its players.

Source: www.foxsports.com.au

Obviously Gilchrist should of been rested during the NZ series.