View Full Version : Round 24: Gold Coast Titans vs Canberra Raiders

DIEHARD
14-08-11, 05:50 PM
Gold Coast Titans vs Canberra Raiders

5:30pm Saturday 20 August - Skilled Park

DIEHARD
14-08-11, 05:52 PM
Raiders smashed again

The Canberra Raiders are in danger of claiming the dreaded wooden spoon after they were thumped 47-18 by the South Sydney Rabbitohs at Canberra Stadium today.

The Rabbitohs were in total control from start to finish in front of a crowd of 12,150, never giving up the lead after running in four unanswered tries in the first 25 minutes.

Rabbitohs fullback Nathan Merritt extended his hot try-scoring form with a hat-trick to take his tally to 21 for the season, while Greg Inglis also crossed for a double.

It was the second-largest losing margin to the Rabbitohs in the Raiders’ 30-year history.

The Raiders are 14th on the table with three games remaining but only two points clear of last-placed Gold Coast Titans.

The two teams meet at Skilled Stadium next Saturday night.

Meanwhile, the Rabbitohs are two points outside the top eight on the back of their third-straight win.

The Rabbitohs opened the scoring in spectacular fashion in the 9th minute when halfback Chris Sandow sparked a 105m effort.

The Eels-bound playmaker swooped on a grubber kick in his own in-goal, sprinting downfield before putting Dylan Farrell under the posts.

The Rabbitohs were in again soon after when Inglis picked up a deflected John Sutton pass for the easiest of tries.

More pain was inflicted on the Raiders when big Ben Ross waltzed through some woeful defence on the back of a simple Sandow inside ball.

Worse was to come when Inglis intercepted a Josh McCrone pass and ran 60m to collect his double.

Sandow’s fourth straight conversion gave the Rabbitohs a commanding 24-0 lead after as many minutes.

Raiders utility Michael Picker made his NRL debut in the 30th minute when he replaced captain and dummy-half Alan Tongue.

The Raiders needed a bit of luck to stem the tide.

They got it when Josh McCrone’s clearing kick bounced horribly for Merritt, allowing Blake Ferguson to pick up the scraps and get the Raiders on the scoresheet.

Ferguson appeared to reduce the deficit further on the stroke of halftime when he planted the ball down in the right-hand corner.

However, the replay showed the flying winger had put a foot on the right-hand touchline before grounding the ball, resulting in the video referee denying the four-pointer.

The Raiders trailed 24-6 at halftime.

Merritt opened his account in the 50th minute when the Souths custodian sliced through a massive hole in Canberra’s left-edge defence.

Four minutes later Merritt was in again, finding a gap up the middle before side-stepping the final defender.

Holding a 30-point buffer the Rabbitohs took their foot off the pedal.

The Raiders made them pay, fullback Josh Dugan beating Sandow one-on-one with a neat step in the 58th minute.

And when winger Reece Robinson strolled over in the left-hand corner the Raiders trailed 36-18 with 15 minutes left.

But a long-range Sandow field-goal, followed by Merritt’s third on the back of a clever John Sutton chip kick, quashed any thoughts of a miracle comeback.

Rabbitohs winger Chris McQueen finished off proceedings when he dived on a loose ball in the 78th minute.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/

DIEHARD
14-08-11, 05:52 PM
Hopefully we will win this, the Titans haven't lost to the Raiders on the Gold Coast. We need to bag this game to set us up to lose the spoon.

teke
14-08-11, 05:53 PM
Interesting game.

If Srama runs from Dummy half well then there is massive amounts of metres to be made in this game. I can only say it's a toss up for who wins this one :(

DIEHARD
14-08-11, 05:57 PM
Interesting game.

If Srama runs from Dummy half well then there is massive amounts of metres to be made in this game. I can only say it's a toss up for who wins this one :(

If we can't beat the Raiders at home, we probably deserve the spoon. I really don't want it to come down to Round 26 against the Eels! :doh:

teke
14-08-11, 06:01 PM
If we can't beat the Raiders at home, we probably deserve the spoon. I really don't want it to come down to Round 26 against the Eels! :doh:Raiders arn't as bad off as the Titans for injuries so Im not expecting too much. However, their form is truly terrible :D

eelectrica
14-08-11, 06:40 PM
Apparently Dugan might be out. Not entirely certain if that's a good thing or a bad though.

With Parra playing the Roosters in a couple of weeks this is a must win game for the Titans to have a chance at avoiding the spoon.

It's like a semi final at the bottom of the table really :D

Mushi
14-08-11, 07:11 PM
Come on Titans - my last home game of the year to watch - I wanna see a WIN!!!!!!!!!!!
Raiders don't usually get us a big crowd either so we will need to make LOTS of noise to lift the boys - I'm up for it!!!!!

Mushi
14-08-11, 07:13 PM
Just went to order a child's ticket to bring my daughter to the Raiders game and it is telling me that tickets are no longer on sale!!!!!! How bloody rude! Am going to check back in a day or so and hoping the error is fixed - we'll have a very small crowd if thats the case :-O

DIEHARD
14-08-11, 07:33 PM
Raiders don't usually get us a big crowd either so we will need to make LOTS of noise to lift the boys - I'm up for it!!!!!

You are right. They don't bring many fans, they bring passionate and loyal fans but not in huge numbers.

So we need to seriously pound the pavement and get the word out. Try and get the best crowd possible.

There is only so much we can do about crowd size, but there is all the things in the world we can do about crowd support and atmosphere. So let's all go the extra mile.

DIEHARD
14-08-11, 07:59 PM
Just went to order a child's ticket to bring my daughter to the Raiders game and it is telling me that tickets are no longer on sale!!!!!! How bloody rude! Am going to check back in a day or so and hoping the error is fixed - we'll have a very small crowd if thats the case :-O

I've contacted the club about it. With the short timeframe until the game, every minute of ticket sales is important and it'd be a shame to lose half a days worth of sales.

Hopefully it gets fixed or the Titans take action to fix it promptly.

DIEHARD
14-08-11, 08:04 PM
Thanks so much for reporting this Mushi. It's so important that we know what is going on and at the end of the day a few more people might be at Saturday's game because of it. Hopefully either Ticketek.com.au rights itself or the Titans pounce on it first thing in the morning.

SunnyCoastTitanFan
14-08-11, 09:30 PM
Well we have 2 teams here, both coming off big losses at home, the difference is we lost to the competition leaders, and they lost to the current flavour of the month. I'd say of these 2 teams, we were the better one this round. Melbourne always seem to have luck on their side, that combined with a bit of soft defence, some poor options in attack, added a dodgy penalty against Bull for a strip (which denied us some points and some much needed momentum), plus an error called against Zillman which looked as though the Storm interfered, plus Michaels getting tackled high in goal, yet a dropout is called; take all that out, the game would be a lot closer. A few more kicks from Srama, and get the ball to Mead more often, these 2 things are what worried the Storm defence the most in the second half.

The Raiders on the other hand, were also unlucky, a couple of tries to the bunnies against the run of play, combined with Sandow and Merrit in white hot form. The Raiders did have some valuable possession on the bunnies line, and couldn't capitalise for a while, and there were times where the Raiders were shredding the bunnies defence as well.

Traditionally we win this clash by 20 points, but traditionally we are also a team that doesn't lose games at home, never gives up, and sit in the top 4. So I'm gonna be negative and say we can't win this game, in the hope that it is a good omen for the team, cos being positive, doesn't seem to work, but than again I'm a little superstitious :laugh:

Smakked
14-08-11, 09:36 PM
SHould be a good game, Raiders have been terrible of late so they may make us look good.

DIEHARD
15-08-11, 03:21 PM
Ticket sales for this game are now available online again, after being offline for at least half a day. The Titans have corrected this.

Boofhead
15-08-11, 04:40 PM
1. Zillman
2. Michaels
3. Peyroux
4. Thompson
5. Mead
6. Rankin
7. Campbell (c)
8. Bailey
9. Srama
10. Laffranchi
11. Bird
12. Minichiello
13. Harrison

14. White
15. Lawrence
16. Matthews
17. O'Dwyer

Woops... Included Harrison for some reason.

GoldCoastTitans100
15-08-11, 04:54 PM
1. Zillman
2. Walker
3. Peyroux
4. Joseph Tomane
5. Mead
6. Rankin
7. Campbell
8. Bailey (c)
9. Srama
10. Bodene Thompson
11. Bird
12. Minichiello
13. Harrison

14. Laffranchi
15. Lawrence
16. Matthews
17. Ben Ridge

Mushi
15-08-11, 06:46 PM
thanks Brad - will get on there and order that ticket ASAP!!!!

Boofhead
16-08-11, 12:30 PM
Jordan Rankin, Steve Michaels, William Zillman, Dominique Peyroux, David Mead, Beau Henry, Preston Campbell, Luke Bailey (c), Matt Srama, Matt White, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello, Greg Bird. Interchange (from): Brenton Lawrence, Will Matthews, Bodene Thompson. Luke O'Dwyer, Clinton Toopi

http://www.nrl.com/News/OfficialTeamLists/tabid/10998/Default.aspx

DIEHARD
16-08-11, 12:50 PM
And it's Boof's 100th game for the Titans!

Coaster
16-08-11, 12:51 PM
And it's Boof's 100th game for the Titans!

You just had to do it, didnt you Brad haha

we are screwed now

Boofhead
16-08-11, 12:53 PM
Dugan is out apparently.

:drinkies: :drinkies: :drinkies:

teke
16-08-11, 01:02 PM

we are screwed now:D

Not many milestones next year though !!! ;)

lonegull
16-08-11, 01:29 PM
yes i have heard dugan is out and milne to be his replacement

DIEHARD
16-08-11, 01:29 PM

we are screwed now

I've been stroking my chin waiting for the team announcement for the chance to remind you all. :laugh:

DIEHARD
16-08-11, 01:30 PM
:D

Not many milestones next year though !!! ;)

Let's get them all out of our system this season.

Good news if Dugan is out!

SunnyCoastTitanFan
16-08-11, 01:34 PM
Clinton Toopi set to retire after fainting in Gold Coast Titans game NRL game against Melbourne Storm

Marco Monteverde From: The Courier-Mail August 15, 2011 12:00AM

The 31-year-old former Kiwi international, set to quit football at the end of the season, spent Saturday night in hospital after falling victim to a type of vertigo at Skilled Park.

Titans coach John Cartwright, who visited Toopi yesterday, described the player's collapse as a "one-in-a-million" incident, but stressed every precaution would be taken during Gold Coast's final three weeks of the season.

"It's definitely sent a scare through our camp," Cartwright said.

"We're going to be erring on the side of caution in regards to him playing again."

Toopi's predicament comes hot on the heels of utility back William Zillman's recent heart murmur scare.

However, Cartwright said Zillman was fine and would have no problems completing what has been a disastrous season for the last-placed Titans.

But Gold Coast can at least jump off the bottom of the ladder if they beat fellow strugglers Canberra at home on Saturday night and the red-hot Wests Tigers defeat battlers Parramatta at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday.

"We've been saying the same thing for eight weeks. We want to finish the season strongly," Cartwright said.

The Titans coach tipped Melbourne to find the going tough if Storm halfback Cooper Cronk's ankle injury became a long-term problem.

"He's got the best kicking game in the competition," Cartwright said of Cronk.

"It's going to be a very tight battle for the premiership."

*http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/clinton-toopi-set-to-retire-after-fainting-in-gold-coast-titans-game-nrl-game-against-melbourne-storm/story-e6frep5o-1226114723610

DIEHARD
16-08-11, 02:12 PM
Terrifying stuff. I hope Clinton is doing well. It'd be a shame to see him retire. But Rugby League is such a high intensity sport that pushes the human body to great limits. So we and players must also be guarded against it's rigors.

William's heart condition is was frightening as well. And Im pleased that it has righted itself.

Two very scary eventuations in 2011!

DIEHARD
16-08-11, 02:36 PM
Raiders name team to tackle Titans

The Canberra Raiders have been forced to make changes to their team for their round 24 clash against the Gold Coast, with injuries to Josh Dugan and Josh Miller forcing a reshuffle of the side to take on the Titans at Skilled Park.

David Milne returns to the NRL team this weekend for the first time since round two in what will be his 50th NRL match, after Dugan was ruled out for one week with a groin strain.

Joe Picker comes back onto the interchange bench this weekend for Josh Miller who could miss the remainder of the season with a collarbone injury, with Michael Picker retaining his spot on the bench after a solid debut performance last weekend.

Jarrad Kennedy has been named 18th man for the match and will travel with the team to the Gold Coast.

Raiders Coach David Furner said the loss of Dugan for a week was disappointing, but said he expects David Milne to step up against the Titans on Saturday night.

?Josh (Dugan) has had a tough year with injury and it?s disappointing for him and the team for him to miss out this week after he was our best player last weekend,? Furner said. ?David Milne will be excited though to play in his 50th NRL match which is something he probably thought he wouldn?t be able to achieve this year.

?We?ve had a tough run with injury this season so Dave gets another opportunity and his form playing for Woden in the local competition has warranted his selection.?

Furner said the loss of Josh Miller was another injury that?s disappointing for the team, but said he has the confidence in Joe Picker having a big game on his return, especially playing alongside his brother Mick for the first time.

?Josh (Miller) has been a tremendous player for the club and it looks like there is a possibility he won?t play again this year through injury which would be a tough way for him to leave the club, but there?s still a very slim chance he could play in the last round,? he said. ?Joe Picker though will be keen to come back into the team and play alongside his brother Mick who had a strong debut last weekend.

?Mick showed last weekend that he could come out of the local competition from Goulburn and play well and this is hopefully what we?ll see from David Milne this weekend.?

To view the NRL team this week please click the link below:

NRL Teamhttp://www.raiders.com.au/default.aspx?s=teamTo View the Raiders NYC team this week please follow the link below:

NYC Team (http://www.raiders.com.au/default.aspx?s=team-nyc)

http://www.raiders.com.au/

DIEHARD
16-08-11, 02:37 PM
Milne replaces injured Dugan

David Milne has been named at fullback for the Raiders in place of injured star Josh Dugan in the only change to the starting line-up that went down to South Sydney on the weekend.
Dugan suffered a groin injury in Sunday's 47-18 loss to the Rabbitohs.

Injury has also forced the exclusion of Josh Miller, with Joe Picker joining his brother Michael on the bench.

Halfback Michael Picker will again act as backup hooker to captain Alan Tongue.

Coach David Furner today named second rower Jarrad Kennedy as part of an extended bench for Saturday's game on the Gold Coast.

Full team

1 Milne
2 Ferguson
3 Croker
4 Thompson
5 Robinson
6 McCroine
7 Williams
8 White
9 Tongue
10 Shillington
11 Galea
12 Harrison
13 Fensom

14 M Picker
15 J Picker
16 Papalii
17 Mataora
18 Kennedy

http://www.canberratimes.com.au

DIEHARD
16-08-11, 02:37 PM
WE CAN DO IT!

Smakked
16-08-11, 03:02 PM
JETSTAR TITANS v CANBERRA RAIDERS
5.30pm, Skilled Park
Saturday, August 20
1 Jordan Rankin
2 Steve Michaels
3 William Zillman
4 Dominique Peyroux
5 David Mead
6 Beau Henry
7 Preston Campbell
8 Luke Bailey (c)
9 Matt Srama
10 Matthew White
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Greg Bird
INTERCHANGE
14 Brenton Lawrence
15 Will Matthews
16 Bodene Thompson
17 Luke O’Dwyer
18 Clinton Toopi

Ryan
16-08-11, 03:22 PM
Bailey gets the (c) :salute:

GoldCoastTitans100
16-08-11, 03:53 PM

About time

TITAN PETE
16-08-11, 03:57 PM

If u watch the game while wearing Sports Ears u will know Bails has Always been the Captain & no one is game to tell him otherwise :D

Rage
16-08-11, 04:22 PM
Not that I'm complaining, but wasn't it stated last week that Presto would be the captain for the rest of the season?

TitansFan2020
16-08-11, 04:40 PM
I dont want Toopi to play again especially after his heart problem last week. Health before play in my opinion.

DIEHARD
16-08-11, 04:54 PM
I dont want Toopi to play again especially after his heart problem last week. Health before play in my opinion.

Well it was Zillman with the heart issue. But I don't think the club will risk Toopi.

Great to see Bailey as captain. He is a great leader and my respect for him grows with every game. Especially in the tough ones.

DIEHARD
16-08-11, 04:56 PM
Not that I'm complaining, but wasn't it stated last week that Presto would be the captain for the rest of the season?

Well I guess it was just for his 100th. I read into that being the remainder of the season.

SunnyCoastTitanFan
16-08-11, 05:21 PM
Zillman happy travelling positions

By Nathan Ryan
16 August 2011 05:47PM EST

GOLD Coast centre William Zillman has been a journey man of positions this season.

After kicking off 2011 at his preferred position of fullback, a position he naturally gravitates to, he found himself wearing the No.6.

He was just becoming accustomed to five-eighth when Beau Henry arrived at the club, meaning Zillman found himself playing in the centres, a position he is now beginning to grasp and enjoy.

?I don?t really mind. I have played more fullback so I probably feel more comfortable there,? Zillman said of the No.1 jersey.

?In saying that, I?ve I have played about eight games of five-eighth this year and really like being up in the line and now I have had a couple of games in the centres.

?I enjoy playing anywhere in the backline if I?m playing NRL.

?I take it more as a challenge and haven?t played any games in the centres until this year, it was a challenge and I?m enjoying it out there.?

Faceing his former club Canberra on Saturday, Zillman is eager to put his best foot forward when he again don?s jersey number three for the Titans this weekend against a team he began his career with in 2006 before leaving to join the Titans in 2009.

Still emotionally tied to the Green Machine, the 25-year-old Logan Brothers junior is pumped for the encounter.

He remains close friends with their skipper Alan Tongue, Joe Picker, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and Glen Buttriss who are both out injured, the Queensland native admitted the Raiders still pull at his heart strings.

?It is exciting playing against them because I know all the boys and they?re always tough to beat,? Zillman told sportsnewsfirst.com.au of playing his former side.

?I would say I like coming up against them.

?I still certainly keep an eye on them... I?ve certainly got a lot of friends down there which is another good thing about playing them because we will get to catch up.?

Keeping tabs on his friends and old teammates, the fullback turned centre has been overly impressed by the Raiders two young second rowers in Josh Papalii and Joe Picker.

While Canberra has struggled to fire this season, Zillman believes the club's future is in safe hands.

?(Papalii?s) really good he?s only young as well,? said Zillman.

?Another back rower Joe Picker he has been going really well and they have a few good young players after a year or two can be a force to be reckoned with.?

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/08/16/zillman-happy-travelling-positions/

Supergoose
16-08-11, 09:57 PM
Zillman can't be watching too closely as Joe Picker hasn't played that many games this season due to injury and the rise of some of their other young backrowers in Fensom and Papalii.

teke
16-08-11, 11:41 PM
I hope someone cleans Blake Ferguson up. He is close to the top of my NRL list for ppl I wanna slap.

Smakked
17-08-11, 01:18 AM
I hope someone cleans Blake Ferguson up. He is close to the top of my NRL list for ppl I wanna slap.

+1 to this, i feel the same aswell

DIEHARD
17-08-11, 03:04 AM
GOLD Coast centre William Zillman has been a journey man of positions this season.

After kicking off 2011 at his preferred position of fullback, a position he naturally gravitates to, he found himself wearing the No.6.

He was just becoming accustomed to five-eighth when Beau Henry arrived at the club, meaning Zillman found himself playing in the centres, a position he is now beginning to grasp and enjoy.

?I don?t really mind. I have played more fullback so I probably feel more comfortable there,? Zillman said of the No.1 jersey.

?In saying that, I?ve I have played about eight games of five-eighth this year and really like being up in the line and now I have had a couple of games in the centres.

?I enjoy playing anywhere in the backline if I?m playing NRL.

?I take it more as a challenge and haven?t played any games in the centres until this year, it was a challenge and I?m enjoying it out there.?

Faceing his former club Canberra on Saturday, Zillman is eager to put his best foot forward when he again don?s jersey number three for the Titans this weekend against a team he began his career with in 2006 before leaving to join the Titans in 2009.

Still emotionally tied to the Green Machine, the 25-year-old Logan Brothers junior is pumped for the encounter.

He remains close friends with their skipper Alan Tongue, Joe Picker, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and Glen Buttriss who are both out injured, the Queensland native admitted the Raiders still pull at his heart strings.

?It is exciting playing against them because I know all the boys and they?re always tough to beat,? Zillman told sportsnewsfirst.com.au of playing his former side.

?I would say I like coming up against them.

?I still certainly keep an eye on them... I?ve certainly got a lot of friends down there which is another good thing about playing them because we will get to catch up.?

Keeping tabs on his friends and old teammates, the fullback turned centre has been overly impressed by the Raiders two young second rowers in Josh Papalii and Joe Picker.

While Canberra has struggled to fire this season, Zillman believes the club's future is in safe hands.

?(Papalii?s) really good he?s only young as well,? said Zillman.

?Another back rower Joe Picker he has been going really well and they have a few good young players after a year or two can be a force to be reckoned with.?

www.sportsnewsfirst.com.a

Coaster
17-08-11, 10:11 AM
Legion talk Podcast is up in HD on Youtube

Enjoy

Youtube link (http://youtu.be/T72N76phQs0)

Smakked
17-08-11, 03:45 PM
Will come and join the Legion this saturday, first time sitting there.

DavidBouveng
17-08-11, 06:24 PM
Its great to see bails with the captaincy.

I think the rest of the nrl underrates how effective and lion hearted he still is.

And with the captaincy, he might finally decide to take one of his quick taps he always threatens with before princey stops him.

DIEHARD
17-08-11, 06:32 PM
Will come and join the Legion this saturday, first time sitting there.

Great to hear mate, will introduce you to the crew. :thumbsup:

Rage
17-08-11, 09:07 PM
NRL.com Wed, Aug 17, 2011 - 1:00 PM

Titans v Raiders
Skilled Park
Saturday 5.30pm

Twelve months ago this would have been viewed as a crucial semi-finals warm-up but as the 2011 season winds down these combatants find themselves with little to play for other than avoiding the dreaded wooden spoon.

The Titans showed some early grit against the Storm last week before the title favourites slipped up a gear and bolted away 40-16 winners. The loss leaves John Cartwright?s side rooted to the bottom of the NRL ladder ? but they?re only one competition point adrift of the under-achieving Eels and one victory off the 14th-placed Raiders.

This game looms as stage one in their three-week assignment to avoid last place. Even if they were to win they would not leapfrog (well, it?s unlikely) the Raiders, who have a superior points differential (-177 to -225). They need to win by 49 points to overtake Canberra.

The only other way they can climb the ladder this week is if they win by even the smallest margin and the Eels get rolled by the Wests Tigers on Monday night.

Meanwhile the Raiders played in fits and starts in their 47-18 loss to the Rabbitohs at home. In fairness Souths are red hot right now but some of the Raiders? defence was simply schoolboys? stuff and if they don?t stiffen up this week they are a real chance of being left in the mix for the spoon, given they face the Panthers and Bulldogs in their final two games.
Canberra are averaging their fewest points away from home (just 16.4 per game) since their 2007 season when they finished the season third from the bottom of the table. And if they concede 40 points again this week they will establish an unwanted record ? they?ve never leaked that many points in three successive games.

It?s a milestone game for back-rower Bronson Harrison who makes his 150th NRL appearance.

Meanwhile the Titans close out the season with games against the Wests Tigers and Eels ? the latter in all likelihood a showdown for the wooden spoon. But first they have to get past the Raiders?

In team changes Anthony Laffranchi, a late withdrawal for the Titans last week, returns in the second row with Greg Bird shifting to lock and Luke O?Dwyer benched.

Meanwhile a groin injury has sidelined Raiders? fullback Josh Dugan; he?s been replaced in the No. 1 jersey by David Milne. Joe Picker joins younger brother Mick on the bench, with Josh Miller missing out.

Watch Out Titans: Winger Blake Ferguson (207 metres last week) will be a danger down the right edge. Ferguson bagged his 13th try for the year against the bunnies ? setting a club record for most by a first-season player ? and the Titans have shown they are vulnerable to his flair and speed, leaking an NRL-high 41 tries down their left side.

Given their problems reading defences John Cartwright would have schooled his side on the decoy runs of Raiders lock Shaun Fensom, who leads the league for metres made off the ball, running 122 confusing decoys.

Danger Sign: If the Titans don?t improve their completions from last week (just 65 per cent) and gift the Raiders good field position they?ll find it hard to pressure their opponent. They need to get through their sets, pump the ball deep and throw the onus back on the Raiders to claw back the territory.

Watch Out Raiders: David Mead is the go-to man for the home side, whether it?s through the hands or in the air. Mead scored his 13th try of the season last week fielding a Matt Srama cross-field chip and given the Raiders have defused just 55 per cent of all cross-field kicks it?s safe to assume they?ll try their luck again here.

The Titans may also look to gain a result from a short kick either wide or into no-man?s land between the Raiders? defensive line and fullback David Milne ? the Raiders have safely handled just 50 per cent of these kicks.

The Raiders need to cover for their fullback when he?s forced into making tackles. John Sutton exploited this to perfection last week when he noticed Josh Dugan up at marker and no-one at home at fullback midway through a tackle count 40 metres out. He chip-kicked ahead and Nathan Merritt won the race for the ball to score this third try of the afternoon.

Luke Bailey and Greg Bird will look to make charges on an angle from close range after Ben Ross found joy this way last week.

Bird and right-side centre Dominique Peyroux will target Jarrod Croker, who missed six tackles last week. Croker has missed 58 all year, the most by any centre.

Danger Sign: Bird has great deception skills for a forward and likes to change the point of the attack when the opposition defence gets in his face. He does this with urgency and pace, which can catch out defenders back on the other side of the field. He executed this to perfection against the Storm last week when making a long, stepping run from the right side of the field back across to the left, linking with William Zillman who scored. If the Raiders go to sleep when the ball drifts away from them, Bird can create nightmares.

Plays To Watch: William Zillman looking to get around Joel Thompson; Preston Campbell showing sprite in the No.7; Titans? forwards running angles close to the Raiders? try line; Greg Bird?s ball-playing on the edges; Blake Ferguson?s pace; David Shillington hitting it up hard (last week he made 15 runs for 121 metres); plenty of tackle-busts from the Raiders? backs ? they combined for a phenomenal 33 last week.

Where It Will Be Won: Desire to avoid the spoon will be evident in how each side applies themselves in defence. These are the two worst defensive units in 2011 ? and there?s not a struck match between them. The Raiders rank rock bottom for points and tries scored against them yielding 25.7 and 4.4 respectively. The Titans have conceded 25.8 points a game and 4.5 tries each 80 minutes.

Their dismal defences aren?t just due to missed tackles but also poor judgment and defensive structure. That?s shown by their difficulty in stopping opposition busts ? the Raiders have conceded the most line-breaks all year (5.1), with the Titans breathing down their neck (five).

Whichever team muscles up from the outset ? and most importantly maintains application and structure ? will lay the foundations for victory.

The History: Played 9; Titans 5, Raiders 4. Results have run in sequence since these teams first met in 2007, when the Titans were victorious. The Titans won 23-22 in golden point in Canberra in Round 4 ? does that mean the Raiders are due? Countering that, the Titans hold a 3-0 advantage on the Gold Coast.

Conclusion: Neither side wants to end 2011 with the wooden spoon so there will be no excuses should one team not turn up ready to go.

Defence is the key ? both teams? attacks have struggled to score points this year (Raiders average three tries scored, Titans 2.7) so they?ll happily take any advantage a poor defensive unit might present them. The Titans missed 46 tackles last week, the Raiders 44. Whichever side can lower that number to high 20s, or even low 30s, will prevail.

We?re in the Titans? camp for this one ? especially given Josh Dugan?s absence. There?s too much pride at stake. The Gold Coast by eight points.

Match Officials: Referees ? Tony De Las Heras & Alan Shortall; Sideline Officials ? Jason Walsh & Peter Gough; Video Ref ? Phil Cooley.

Televised: Fox Sports ? Live 5.30pm.

* Stats: NRL Stats

SunnyCoastTitanFan
17-08-11, 09:30 PM
It would be nice to crack 30 points, hopefully we have a chance to do that on Saturday night, it's been over a year since our last time when we beat the Cowboys 37-18. I reckon if we win, it'll be by 20 :D. The Raiders defence is soft, and plus no Dugan, our forwards just really need to muscle up and we should aim for a shutout I reckon.

DIEHARD
18-08-11, 02:06 AM
'I've given everything I can'

Canberra Raiders captain Alan Tongue says his aching body made the final call to end his illustrious 12-year career despite having a season to run on his contract.

The 30-year-old announced his retirement at Canberra Stadium today flanked by wife Katie, daughters Becky, 5 and Heidi, 3, and four-month-old son Gem.

Tongue is the sixth-most capped Raiders player in the club?s history, and will make his 218th appearance in Saturday night?s match with the Gold Coast Titans at Skilled Park.

Renowned as a workaholic tackling machine, the one-club stalwart said a shoulder injury sustained in the round-one win against Cronulla had been the catalyst for his decision.

??I know it?s time to finish my playing career,?? Tongue said.

??Over the past few seasons I?ve sustained some injuries that have been difficult to fully overcome.

??I know that if I continue to force myself to play with these that it?ll be painful in the short-term by letting my team-mates down, but more importantly in the long-term by impacting my life after footy.

??For me, my family has always come first, and this has been a huge factor in my decision and I?m ready to move on to the next part of my life.??

Tongue said he had decided to retire ??a couple of weeks ago??, but only informed the playing group this morning.

??I must admit it was probably harder than being here,?? Tongue said.

??It was something I had to get myself up for.

??It is difficult, but I think they understand and know where they?re coming from and appreciate that.??

Raiders coach David Furner paid tribute to Tongue?s longevity and service to the Raiders.

??Playing alongside Alan some many years ago it was easy for me to see he was going to become a special person and a special player,?? Furner said.

??We?ve got three games remaining that are going to be pretty special.??

Tongue said he had been in discussions with the Raiders about a possible off-field role next year, but that nothing was confirmed yet.

Tongue debuted for the Raiders in 2000, and took over the captaincy in 2007.

He was largely overlooked for representative honours during his career, with his sole appearance coming for NSW Country in 2009.

??I?ve always would?ve loved to tested myself in that arena,?? Tongue said.

??It?s when the special players rise to the occasion, and that would?ve been great.

??But it didn?t work out for me.

??When I look back on what I?ve achieved in the game, it puts a big smile on my face.??

Alan Tongue

Date of Birth: 13/10/1980

Birthplace: Tamworth, NSW

Junior Club: Farrer Agricultural

Position: Lock

Height: 180cm

Weight: 87kg

Debut: v Brisbane, ANZ Stadium, 17/3/2000 (Rd 7)

Rep Honours: Prime Ministers XIII (2008), Country Origin (2009)

Matches: 217

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/

DIEHARD
18-08-11, 02:08 AM
Sad to see Tongue retire like this. He has been one of the unsung heroes in Rugby League and never got the widespread acclaim he truly deserved. He retires pretty young as well at 30.

I just hope he isn't lost to the game and the Canberra Raiders.

DIEHARD
18-08-11, 02:41 AM
Everyone on NRL on FOX has tipped the Raiders to defeat the Titans. :surprise:

DIEHARD
18-08-11, 02:45 AM
Titans clash a family affair for Picker brothers

Joe and Mick Picker will become the first brothers in almost eight years to represent the Canberra Raiders alongside each other this weekend.
Not since Joel and Michael Monaghan were part of the Raiders' one-point loss to the New Zealand Warriors in week two of the 2003 semi-finals have brothers played an NRL match together for Canberra.

Raiders coach David Furner yesterday named both Pickers on the interchange bench for Saturday's Gold Coast clash.

Joe returns to the side for the injured Josh Miller, who will miss the rest of the season with a collarbone injury.

Furner was forced into more changes through injury, naming David Milne at fullback after scans revealed a small tear to Josh Dugan's adductor muscle, which will put him out for at least a week.

In a quirky twist of fate last weekend, Mick made his NRL debut at the expense of his older brother, who was relegated to 18th man.

Joe said he'd always dreamed of playing alongside his younger brother.

''It's pretty special I suppose, brothers playing first grade. We've always played footy in the backyard,'' Picker said. ''Hopefully we can get out there and get a better result for Mick this week.

''I was pretty proud of the way he played [on debut].

''There was no worries with his defence in the middle.

''He got out of dummy-half a couple of times and made a few metres.

''I've seen him do stuff like that our whole life, it was no real big shock to me, I knew he'd handle it.''

The Picker brothers moved to the capital before the 2006 season after Joe finished high school. Mick did Year 11 and 12 in Canberra.

Last year the pair were joined in their McKellar home by younger brother Ben, who has been playing with Canberra's under-20s this season. Joe has established himself as a regular first-grader in that time, but Mick has struggled to gain a foothold in Furner's NRL plans.

He was a key member of the Raiders under-20s premiership side in 2008 but has spent most of his time since playing in the Queensland Cup. Last month he joined the Goulburn Bulldogs as one of nine fringe Raiders players injected into the local competition.

Milne was also part of that distribution and will join Picker on Saturday as the second player in two weeks Furner has plucked from the Canberra Raiders Cup.

''We talk about a different standard but they're still getting the basics of football and it does endorse that competition there as a very good competition,'' Furner said.

''With Dave Milne and Mick Picker going straight from the local competition to first grade, it's good, it'll lift the local competition as well.''

Furner yesterday named Jarrad Kennedy, who has spent the past six weeks with the Gungahlin Bulls, at 18th man.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au

DIEHARD
18-08-11, 02:50 AM
Titans v Raiders
Skilled Park Saturday 5.30pm

Twelve months ago this would have been viewed as a crucial semi-finals warm-up but as the 2011 season winds down these combatants find themselves with little to play for other than avoiding the dreaded wooden spoon.

The Titans showed some early grit against the Storm last week before the title favourites slipped up a gear and bolted away 40-16 winners. The loss leaves John Cartwright?s side rooted to the bottom of the NRL ladder ? but they?re only one competition point adrift of the under-achieving Eels and one victory off the 14th-placed Raiders.

This game looms as stage one in their three-week assignment to avoid last place. Even if they were to win they would not leapfrog (well, it?s unlikely) the Raiders, who have a superior points differential (-177 to -225). They need to win by 49 points to overtake Canberra.

The only other way they can climb the ladder this week is if they win by even the smallest margin and the Eels get rolled by the Wests Tigers on Monday night.

Meanwhile the Raiders played in fits and starts in their 47-18 loss to the Rabbitohs at home. In fairness Souths are red hot right now but some of the Raiders? defence was simply schoolboys? stuff and if they don?t stiffen up this week they are a real chance of being left in the mix for the spoon, given they face the Panthers and Bulldogs in their final two games.
Canberra are averaging their fewest points away from home (just 16.4 per game) since their 2007 season when they finished the season third from the bottom of the table. And if they concede 40 points again this week they will establish an unwanted record ? they?ve never leaked that many points in three successive games.

It?s a milestone game for back-rower Bronson Harrison who makes his 150th NRL appearance.

Meanwhile the Titans close out the season with games against the Wests Tigers and Eels ? the latter in all likelihood a showdown for the wooden spoon. But first they have to get past the Raiders?

In team changes Anthony Laffranchi, a late withdrawal for the Titans last week, returns in the second row with Greg Bird shifting to lock and Luke O?Dwyer benched.

Meanwhile a groin injury has sidelined Raiders? fullback Josh Dugan; he?s been replaced in the No. 1 jersey by David Milne. Joe Picker joins younger brother Mick on the bench, with Josh Miller missing out.

Watch Out Titans: Winger Blake Ferguson (207 metres last week) will be a danger down the right edge. Ferguson bagged his 13th try for the year against the bunnies ? setting a club record for most by a first-season player ? and the Titans have shown they are vulnerable to his flair and speed, leaking an NRL-high 41 tries down their left side.

Given their problems reading defences John Cartwright would have schooled his side on the decoy runs of Raiders lock Shaun Fensom, who leads the league for metres made off the ball, running 122 confusing decoys.

Danger Sign: If the Titans don?t improve their completions from last week (just 65 per cent) and gift the Raiders good field position they?ll find it hard to pressure their opponent. They need to get through their sets, pump the ball deep and throw the onus back on the Raiders to claw back the territory.

Watch Out Raiders: David Mead is the go-to man for the home side, whether it?s through the hands or in the air. Mead scored his 13th try of the season last week fielding a Matt Srama cross-field chip and given the Raiders have defused just 55 per cent of all cross-field kicks it?s safe to assume they?ll try their luck again here.

The Titans may also look to gain a result from a short kick either wide or into no-man?s land between the Raiders? defensive line and fullback David Milne ? the Raiders have safely handled just 50 per cent of these kicks.

The Raiders need to cover for their fullback when he?s forced into making tackles. John Sutton exploited this to perfection last week when he noticed Josh Dugan up at marker and no-one at home at fullback midway through a tackle count 40 metres out. He chip-kicked ahead and Nathan Merritt won the race for the ball to score this third try of the afternoon.

Luke Bailey and Greg Bird will look to make charges on an angle from close range after Ben Ross found joy this way last week.

Bird and right-side centre Dominique Peyroux will target Jarrod Croker, who missed six tackles last week. Croker has missed 58 all year, the most by any centre.

Danger Sign: Bird has great deception skills for a forward and likes to change the point of the attack when the opposition defence gets in his face. He does this with urgency and pace, which can catch out defenders back on the other side of the field. He executed this to perfection against the Storm last week when making a long, stepping run from the right side of the field back across to the left, linking with William Zillman who scored. If the Raiders go to sleep when the ball drifts away from them, Bird can create nightmares.

Plays To Watch: William Zillman looking to get around Joel Thompson; Preston Campbell showing sprite in the No.7; Titans? forwards running angles close to the Raiders? try line; Greg Bird?s ball-playing on the edges; Blake Ferguson?s pace; David Shillington hitting it up hard (last week he made 15 runs for 121 metres); plenty of tackle-busts from the Raiders? backs ? they combined for a phenomenal 33 last week.

Where It Will Be Won: Desire to avoid the spoon will be evident in how each side applies themselves in defence. These are the two worst defensive units in 2011 ? and there?s not a struck match between them. The Raiders rank rock bottom for points and tries scored against them yielding 25.7 and 4.4 respectively. The Titans have conceded 25.8 points a game and 4.5 tries each 80 minutes.

Their dismal defences aren?t just due to missed tackles but also poor judgment and defensive structure. That?s shown by their difficulty in stopping opposition busts ? the Raiders have conceded the most line-breaks all year (5.1), with the Titans breathing down their neck (five).

Whichever team muscles up from the outset ? and most importantly maintains application and structure ? will lay the foundations for victory.

The History: Played 9; Titans 5, Raiders 4. Results have run in sequence since these teams first met in 2007, when the Titans were victorious. The Titans won 23-22 in golden point in Canberra in Round 4 ? does that mean the Raiders are due? Countering that, the Titans hold a 3-0 advantage on the Gold Coast.

Conclusion: Neither side wants to end 2011 with the wooden spoon so there will be no excuses should one team not turn up ready to go.

Defence is the key ? both teams? attacks have struggled to score points this year (Raiders average three tries scored, Titans 2.7) so they?ll happily take any advantage a poor defensive unit might present them. The Titans missed 46 tackles last week, the Raiders 44. Whichever side can lower that number to high 20s, or even low 30s, will prevail.

We?re in the Titans? camp for this one ? especially given Josh Dugan?s absence. There?s too much pride at stake. The Gold Coast by eight points.

Match Officials: Referees ? Tony De Las Heras & Alan Shortall; Sideline Officials ? Jason Walsh & Peter Gough; Video Ref ? Phil Cooley.

Televised: Fox Sports ? Live 5.30pm.

* Stats: NRL Stats

http://www.nrl.com

Boofhead
18-08-11, 11:07 AM
$1.70 we are paying... That's pretty damn good odds.

karnage
18-08-11, 12:47 PM
I would hold out at that price. Given Diehard's comments and the hopeless form we have showed all year I think the disparity in the price between the two teams might diminish as the game approaches.

We opened $1.60 on Wednesday so we are already out 10c.

Personally, I think that is still 'unders' at the $1.70 and would not want to take anything less than even money.

Don't forget the oldest punting saying of them all - ODDS ON LOOK ON!!
"Never run up stairs and never lay odds-on"

Tamwelg
18-08-11, 05:21 PM
Henry is out with a foot injury, Bailey is out with the flu and Bird has a broken hand, but ids going to play injured. We are apparently done to our last 17 players. If we get another injury we will have to ask for a salary cap exemption.

http://forum.titans.com.au/showpost.php?p=290054&postcount=22

Titanic
18-08-11, 06:08 PM
Crikey :-(

Toads
18-08-11, 06:54 PM
Bloody hell, can it get anymore dire for us? :ugh:

Mt Smart
18-08-11, 07:03 PM
We can beat these guys, they are worse on the road than at home.

Cowboy Titan
18-08-11, 07:39 PM
http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/08/18/nrl-late-mail-round-24/

Gold Coast welcome Canberra to Skilled Park on Saturday afternoon with a new-look line up.

Five-eighth Beau Henry has been ruled out of the match with an ankle injury which will require surgery.

William Zillman will shift to five-eighth with Esi Tonga joining the side with either he or Bodene Thompson to move to the centres.

Captain Luke Bailey has been ruled out with the flu with Anthony Laffranchi likely to move to the forwards with Luke O’Dwyer to the back row with Preston Campbell as captain.

The Titans can’t afford any more injuries and with no more players available will require a salary cap exemption should another injury arise.

The Raiders are 1-17 but will travel with rookie Jarrad Kennedy as 18th man.

DIEHARD
18-08-11, 07:46 PM
Oh no. Beau and Bails. That is a big blow. I'd back Esi for centre.

DIEHARD
18-08-11, 08:09 PM
http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/08/18/nrl-late-mail-round-24/

The Titans can?t afford any more injuries and with no more players available will require a salary cap exemption should another injury arise.

Strewth. :surprise:

Mushi
18-08-11, 09:01 PM
Man we have been hit hard by injury this season!!!!!!!

Titanic
18-08-11, 09:17 PM
Gilly and Carty in the backrow and Murphy in the front row that should liven him up.

hammer
19-08-11, 04:30 AM
Gilly and Carty in the backrow and Murphy in the front row that should liven him up.

Not sure about liven them up!

It might be the end for Gilly, Carty and Murphy in the front row...perhaps in their prime!

Titanic
19-08-11, 09:43 AM
You've got me wrong ... they are the three I want to liven up.

GoldCoastTitans100
19-08-11, 12:01 PM
Oh no. Beau and Bails. That is a big blow. I'd back Esi for centre.

Beau is not much of a loss, Baily out is the worst thing that could have happened.

The team should be

1. Zillman
2. Walker
3. Peyroux
4. Joseph Tomane
5. Mead
6. Rankin
7. Campbell (C)
8. Laffranchi
9. Srama
10. Bodene Thompson
11. Bird
12. Minichiello
13. Harrison

14. White
15. Lawrence
16. Matthews
17. Ben Ridge

Ryan
19-08-11, 02:48 PM
Beau is not much of a loss, Baily out is the worst thing that could have happened.

The team should be

1. Zillman
2. Walker
3. Peyroux
4. Joseph Tomane
5. Mead
6. Rankin
7. Campbell (C)
8. Laffranchi
9. Srama
10. Bodene Thompson
11. Bird
12. Minichiello
13. Harrison

14. White
15. Lawrence
16. Matthews
17. Ben Ridge
Tomane & Walker were released weeks ago....
Harro was ruled out for the season weeks ago...
Ridge wasn't due back till next week, unless thats changed???

Where the **** have you been??

GoldCoastTitans100
19-08-11, 08:21 PM
Tomane & Walker were released weeks ago....
Harro was ruled out for the season weeks ago...
Ridge wasn't due back till next week, unless thats changed???

Where the **** have you been??

I have lost interest tbh.
Sorry my mistake.

DIEHARD
19-08-11, 11:59 PM
A strong win over the Raiders and the Wests Tigers beating the Eels and we could move to 14th.

TITAN PETE
20-08-11, 07:36 AM
This game will decide our fate , i hope the boys have been watching Souths play as they have been decimated with injuries too this season & have been playing brilliantly..

DIEHARD
20-08-11, 07:38 AM
Presto wants Titans to go out in style

SKIPPER Preston Campbell has vowed the Gold Coast Titans will turn on the razzle dazzle against the Canberra Raiders at Skilled Park tonight in a bid to rediscover their winning style and lift themselves out of the NRL cellar.

Renowned for their attacking style of football in recent seasons, the flamboyance has been absent from the Titans' play this year.

Inspired by a burst of flair during the final 20 minutes of last Saturday's loss to Melbourne, retiring halfback Campbell admitted it could be just the tactic the Titans needed to launch themselves off the bottom of the table and finish the season and his career on an exciting note.

"That just sort of happened, I don't know where that came from (last week), it hasn't been around for a long time," Campbell said.

"I think that just shows that we would like to enjoy our last few games (this year).

"You might see it again. We have got a game plan so we'll stick to that but if that comes about it will be good. I think it will be good to be able to play like that."

For Campbell, adding an element of flair to the Titans attack is a win-win situation.

"Obviously I enjoy playing like that and I think the spectators enjoy watching it," Campbell said.

"Canberra have got big guys but we need to concentrate on turning them around and look to go through them.

"We can't go around them because they have some skilful, youthful backs but later in the game when we're doing the work upfront, maybe we can throw it around a little bit."

Titans coach John Cartwright had no qualms about Campbell playing what he sees in front him, saying his experience against a youthful Raiders halves pairing of Josh McCrone and Sam Williams is a big advantage for the home side.

"I've got no worries about Preston," Cartwright said. "He knows he has got three games left in his career and he is really buzzing. He is looking forward to it."
Should the West Tigers beat Parramatta tomorrow, a win for the Titans will elevate them off the bottom of the NRL ladder on equal points with Canberra but trailing the Raiders on for and against.

Campbell admitted avoiding the dreaded wooden spoon was extra motivation for tonight's crucial clash.

"It's a big game," Campbell said. "Sitting at the bottom is not where I'd like to be when I finish up, so we will be trying our best.

"It will be a tough one for us. Even though Canberra haven't been going really well they have got a good side."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

karnage
20-08-11, 08:30 AM
I hope you left the $1.70 alone... We're out to $1.74 with the corporates and $1.81 on the betting exchange which is usually a better indication of where the true price is.

The bookies can't get us out too far or the big punters who took Canberra at around $2.20 will be able to step in heavily to the Titans and guarantee a profit either way.

With Bailey out I really don't like our chances now... I'm more hopeful than confident.

The team that runs out will tell us a lot about the coaching staff tonight too. How on Earth does O'Dwyer make the run-on ahead of Thompson?? He was pathetic against the Storm. If Thompson starts in the centres as the story says he might the coaching staff are just kidding themselves.

teke
20-08-11, 12:20 PM
Esi is starting at left centre i have been told

Titanic
20-08-11, 02:11 PM
I'm with Karnage on this. I sat through last weekend's game this morning and O'Dwyer is not our answer ... honest, willing but devoid of answers.

Titanic
20-08-11, 04:57 PM
In between chopping onions for the bbq, I've again witnessed just how horrible we are. CBR in first :-(

Steelers
20-08-11, 05:06 PM
Back to 6-all. Srama and Campbell looking good. Show the faithful small crowd how you can play boys!

Steelers
20-08-11, 05:12 PM
Bad mistake by Rankin. Lucky to get away with that one. He's looked good as well though. Promising signs...

Titanic
20-08-11, 05:31 PM
Commentators are over-playing their hands. Error rate of both teams is appauling but can't wait for the second half because we can win it.

First half comments: Srama and Bird streets in front of anyone else. Michaels and Rankin would struggle to make any other first grade team. Campbell trying but just not quite that zip anymore. White, Mead and Zillman going well too.

Steelers
20-08-11, 05:41 PM
18-6 courtesy of a long range try to Mead after a Canberra mistake.

Titanic
20-08-11, 05:48 PM
Presto from the sideline 24-6

CairnsTitan
20-08-11, 05:54 PM
tonga ****s on champion from great heights

CairnsTitan
20-08-11, 06:01 PM
white you ******, just hold him

Titanic
20-08-11, 06:02 PM
CBR in and we are self-destructing.

Titanic
20-08-11, 06:08 PM
Self bloody destructing

Titanic
20-08-11, 06:16 PM
snuck home but next year can't come quick enough ... Bird, Srama and White were outstanding.

Geeman
20-08-11, 06:25 PM
I think Peyroux had a good game defensively, only one real error to speak of, Srama was excellent, and Bird = Amazing (especially considering he has a broken hand!)

bigjim
20-08-11, 06:29 PM
We won this game not because we were the better team but rather we weren't the worst.
Loved Srama, hate to say it but Bird played well, Presto great in defence.
Roll on next season.

Ryan
20-08-11, 06:57 PM
Sloppy game error wise, but I don't think they were that bad???? Scoreline was realistically 26-12, been too long of a year too keep b!tching about the negatives...
Bird was easily our best again, good efforts from White & Srama too. And the boys done the match with only 16 players.
Feeling a little bit more confident that they can offload the spoon.....

gotitans101
20-08-11, 07:38 PM
I thought we were pretty good minus the stupid errors...shame we let them back into it towards the end. Never seem to be able to put teams to the sword.

Thought Bird was our best too. Still can't believe Tonga is leaving us next year. :(

teke
20-08-11, 07:48 PM
I watched the game in a busy club so the commentators didnt ruin it for me.

I thought the game was entertaining.

The boys had fun and all of them had some good moments at stages.

Coaster
20-08-11, 08:10 PM
Weee wooooonnnnnn!!!!!!!

Smakked
20-08-11, 08:48 PM
Missed going to it yea again thanks to work, but watched it, Pretty bad to watch ,both sides sucked pretty bad. Good to see Dom get his first and a good runaway try from mead, Bird gets my vote played awesome with a broken hand.

Titanic
20-08-11, 10:04 PM
I thought we were pretty good minus the stupid errors

we'd be undefeated if we cut out the goddamned unbelievable amateurish unforced errors

SunnyCoastTitanFan
20-08-11, 10:16 PM
Well I was happy with that game (second time I've seen them win live :D) just too many errors, lucky the Raiders were just as bad with their errors. Good to see Zillman put in a few good kicks, Srama develop his kicking game (just keeps getting better and better, also note this is his first, first grade win at Skilled), our forwards muscled up, put in some good hits, and our first length of the field try in I don't know how long, speaking of which, Mead is equal third top try scorer, and I think he has broken the club record for most tries in a season with 14 (I think the previous record was Gordon with 13 last year).

Once it got to 24-6, I had a feeling the Raiders may have scored the next couple, that scoreline seems to be cursed I've noticed with all teams :frown: Shillingtons try should not have been allowed imo, it came off a forward pass plus I reckon, double movement as well.

Btw does anybody know who got MoM?

teke
20-08-11, 10:20 PM
Good to see Presto not leaving anything behind in his final games, I thought he was the best in the team. Dom is one angry monster when he wants to hit :D

It's clear Rankin has a spot in the side but it's not at FB. Magic Mead finds some open space and I loved seeing Fergo trying to catch him in 2nd gear :laugh:

Tigers to put Eels to the sword tomorrow :)

gotitans101
21-08-11, 12:06 AM
Press Conference below.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/039we-grew-from-early-tries039/video-e6frf3ou-1226118858158?sectionvertical=league

Nice to see a smile on both Presto & Carty's faces. :)

Ryan
21-08-11, 07:14 AM
Press Conference below.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/039we-grew-from-early-tries039/video-e6frf3ou-1226118858158?sectionvertical=league

Nice to see a smile on both Presto & Carty's faces. :)

Presto is a crack up, he has an infectious personality :laugh:

For those who are screaming for Zillman to go #1 and Rankin to go #6 - Carty said that was gonna happen during the match, but decided not to when the scoreline tightened up.....

Had a laugh at Furner's whinge :laugh:
Questioning our second try, but no mention of Shillington's bullsh!t try :nope:

shamus
21-08-11, 09:04 AM
I didn't think we played that bad TBH...Probably would have been beaten by any top 8 side but we never looked like losing against this mob. Maybe it was just me and my confidence in the boys for this week. But I haven't looked at stats (I have reached my ADSL limlit and have been slowed so opening ANYTHING is a pain...cannot even add emoticons)..but Fox Sports news this morning shows us only missing 26 or so tackles...That has to be a first.

All in all I walked out of the stadium a happy man and if I could give points to all 17 I would have. (Although going on what Ryan says above I obviously missed someone retiring and not coming back)

I thought Bird was outstanding and Presto led by example.

eelectrica
21-08-11, 09:14 AM
Even Raider fans believe Shillingtons try was a double movement. Ah well made for an exciting finish I guess.

Mushi
21-08-11, 09:19 AM
Well we also had some tries disallowed that I would like to see replays of so Furner has nothing to whinge about!!!!!

LOVE the winning feeling at skilled park - its been such a long time!!!!!!

thelwall
21-08-11, 09:27 AM
bird was mom

hammer
21-08-11, 09:32 AM
A scrappy win...but still a win...it is just great to have that winning feeling at home again.
I thought Bird's contribution was great and what makes even more impressive is that he had a broken hand. Srama is continuing to develop and is trying new things each and every week. Peroux in the centres has been very impressive in recent weeks and Preston was great particularly in defense!

Titanic
21-08-11, 10:56 AM
We really have a serious problem at pivot ... I know, I know ... it's been said a million times but when you consider the punch we'll have next year in outside backs (Peyroux has real potential plus watched Graham closely yesterday and he should go alright too) we are in danger of re-visiting this year's calamity again.

Zillman, Rankin, Henry, Sezer and even Bird offer only offer more questions than answers, imho.

karnage
21-08-11, 12:42 PM
There was only one thing worth taking out of last nights game which, while entertaning, was a perfect example of what any game between 16th and 14th will look like.

WE ARE OFF THE BOTTOM OF THE LADDER!!!

Carn Benji and the Tigers!!

Ryan
21-08-11, 02:13 PM
(Although going on what Ryan says above I obviously missed someone retiring and not coming back)

Toopi was our 17th player, he was suited up ready to play - but didn't. Cartwright later said in the post-match interview that he didn't want Toopi to run on...

DIEHARD
21-08-11, 08:55 PM
I guess this was a game that was better to be at than watch on TV. I haven't seen the replay yet.

But it was awesome to win again especially at Skilled Park! Preston was fantastic as was Bird. Srama was fantastic as usual, he must be up there in the Paul Broughtons.

Mead's long range try was an example of my favourite Rugby League drug.

We had alot of disallowed tries, at least a couple of them were unfair. So at least we got opportunities.

And we did it without Bailey, which was a very big loss.

patskE
21-08-11, 09:47 PM
"
Mead's long range try was an example of my favourite Rugby League drug."

wat u mean by that?
only seen highlights so didnt see how he got into the clear

Titanic
21-08-11, 10:02 PM
Will Mathews ran across field and gave it to him, he stopped, looked around and saw no one in front, palmed off an ineffectual attempt at a tackle and ran 80 meters un-opposed.

teke
21-08-11, 10:18 PM
Mead's long range try was an example of my favourite Rugby League drug.
Nothing beats running straight and hard on a kick return, there are many wingers who jink and what not but the good ones ask questions over and over again. It only takes one missed tackle from the chasers and it's over.

Next year I predict Flash and Magic to set some kind of record for long range efforts :fight:

Titan Dad
22-08-11, 12:35 PM
[
Next year I predict Flash and Magic to set some kind of record for long range efforts :fight:[/QUOTE]

I am with you on this one. :banana:

Toads
22-08-11, 01:38 PM
Something else that's worthy of a mention. It was good to see a few more numbers (crowd) roll in earlier to witness our Titan's NYC lads roll over the Raiders mob, with a convincing win. :thumbsup:

shamus
25-08-11, 06:20 PM
I didn't think we played that bad TBH...Probably would have been beaten by any top 8 side but we never looked like losing against this mob.

I watched the replay the other night and I have changed my mind. We were abysmal in the first half and lucky for us so were Canberra. So I have extended the 'we would have been beaten by any top 8 side' to 'we would have been beaten by any top 13 side'. :p

I for some bizarre reason think we will beat Tigers this week. So we won't be sweating it out in the last round. :thumbsup:

We need to beat Tigers coz Raiders will take the points from Panthers.. After 'The Army' folding and Tongues last game, they will lift.. :fight:

I don't want the spoon decided on the last game so lets do it now!