PDA

View Full Version : Round 22: Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks vs Gold Coast Titans

DIEHARD
02-08-11, 01:29 AM
Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks vs Gold Coast Titans

DIEHARD
02-08-11, 01:32 AM
Yea we do have a game this weekend. :) Another chance to get a win, but it is at Shark Park so it won't be easy.

I'm so starved for victory even line breaks make my heart explode. I don't know what I'll do when we win. Party!

We have a red hot chance at upcoming games, at least on paper. I hope we can win some of those... all of them. Because it is amazing, there has been not peak and fall in 2011. It's been a total flatline. :(

Smakked
02-08-11, 01:57 AM
Yeah we can win, i think now it is a mental thing, they need to snap out of it start believing they can win.

Boofhead
02-08-11, 11:46 AM
Would like to see Thompson relegated to QLD Cup and Mini to the bench. Bring in Ridge!

Tamwelg
02-08-11, 02:12 PM
Round 22 Team
2/08/2011 1:59:58 PM
Team for Round 22 of the National Rugby League.
Jetstar Gold Coast Titans v Cronulla Sharks
Saturday 6th August 2011
Toyota Stadium 7.30pm Kick Off

1. Jordan Rankin
2. Steve Michaels
3. William Zillman
4. Dominique Peyroux
5. David Mead
6. Beau Henry
7. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Matt Srama
10. Matt White
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Luke O'Dwyer
INTERCHANGE
14. Brenton Lawrence
15. Will Matthews
16. Bodene Thompson
17. Preston Campbell

Boofhead
02-08-11, 02:14 PM
Oh ****...

Where is Bird?

Edit: Hamstring complaint.

karnage
02-08-11, 03:53 PM
Thank God Toopi's gone.

Not concerned by the loss of Bird at all, he has forged an entire career from looking good in losing teams to the point that he has made it an art form. I'm just disappointed that Ridge isn't getting a chance to get a few more first grade games under his belt. I'm assuming he's injured??

We're 3 points off the Eels who have a winnable Monday night game against the Rabbitohs. Lose here and there is absolutely no doubt who will be 'winning' the wooden spoon this year...

GoldCoastTitans100
02-08-11, 04:35 PM
ffs, we are going to lose.

Smakked
02-08-11, 04:57 PM
ffs without bird we dont have much, he was a stand out lastweekend
I wouldn't have put Dom or Rankin in they have nothing to add.

I cant see us winning with that side :(

Boofhead
02-08-11, 05:23 PM
Why Zillman is not playing fullback blows my mind.

bigjim
02-08-11, 05:54 PM
Gallan's back.

That's all I have to say.

Supergoose
02-08-11, 06:03 PM
Great to see Peyroux getting a run in the centres - will be very interesting to see how he goes not defending outside thin air. I reckon Bird and Harrison whilst individually strong have not been playing that well for the team - it will be interesting to see how we go without them. What is the story with Will Matthews - is he not off to the Dragons next season? Do we not have any other fit players if that is the case?

If Minichiello can play well we are in with a chance otherwise - I can't see us winning against anyone.

Rage
02-08-11, 09:01 PM
Srama better start! I think that decision alone will set the tone of the match in a very big way

Titanic
03-08-11, 12:31 AM
I would like to say something positive about the team and Peyroux getting another dig is it.

On the other side of the coin, why do we persevere with the most penalised player in the NRL? I will give Minichiello his enthusiasm but his mistake rate is attrocious ... "trying hard" is just not good enough as a professional, in fact his error rate and ill-discipline is downright unprofessional.

patskE
03-08-11, 01:04 AM
tbh mini should be on the bench...
we miss harrison n his tackles. we need to bring in ridge to cover that possie tbh...

teke
03-08-11, 01:44 AM
Good to see Dom get another shot, the team just needs to number up so the edge defenders don't have a 2 or 3 man overlap.

Gallen is back this week and...umm yeah :ugh:

Mushi
03-08-11, 07:07 AM
Of course Gallen is back! We just don't get a break lately!
I'm actually going to miss watching this game - got a family bbq to attend. Am really hoping that I get home to look up a great result - maybe me not watching it is a good omen for the boys - nothing else has worked so far!

SunnyCoastTitanFan
03-08-11, 01:03 PM
Of course Gallen is back! We just don't get a break lately!
I'm actually going to miss watching this game - got a family bbq to attend. Am really hoping that I get home to look up a great result - maybe me not watching it is a good omen for the boys - nothing else has worked so far!

Hopefully Gallen's return gives the Sharks a false sense of security. Plus no more bloody milestones as far as I know, but the media will probably make one up just to make us self conscious lol.

Coincidentally I have to miss this game as well cos of work :( so if we do win it might be my good omen lol last game I missed was v raiders, although I did catch the end, plus the only home game I missed going to was against the roosters..... now I'm starting to feel like bad luck lol

Mushi
03-08-11, 03:36 PM
Funny I missed the raiders game too - only 2 games I haven't been able to either get to or watch on tv - hope it is a good omen for the boys then!!!!! I did get to go to the roosters and tigers home games though so it can't be me :-)

Titanic
03-08-11, 09:48 PM
C'mon guys ... it's not that ... just put your socks on the other way round, get up on the other side of the bed ... pat the dog before the cat ... read the business section before the sports.

UpUpCronulla
03-08-11, 10:11 PM
Hey guys do you know if laff is going to be playing second row for the rest of the year?

patskE
03-08-11, 10:37 PM
nah i dont think so. just with bird n harrison out, i think the coach's think we need his exp in the back row. esp with mini there! :P

DIEHARD
04-08-11, 02:09 AM
Cronulla risk losing Paul Gallen for rest of season in attempt to keep faint NRL finals hopes alive

Cronulla could risk losing captain Paul Gallen for the rest of the season in a desperate attempt to keep their faint NRL finals hopes alive.

Gallen has missed the Sharks' past two games with a calf injury suffered in the round 19 loss to St George Illawarra.

Cronulla sit in 12th place on 18 points and need to win all five of their remaining games, starting with Saturday's Toyota Stadium clash with Gold Coast Titans, and hope they can scrape into the play-offs.

Coach Shane Flanagan says he might have to risk inspirational skipper Gallen to keep his side's hopes flickering.

"That's a tough one but it's getting towards that stage that we've got to risk a few things," he told reporters on Wednesday

"I didn't want to risk him last week (in the loss to Brisbane Broncos) but we need to start taking some risks and that's one we might have to take."

Flanagan said that could mean putting the NSW captain's season on the line.

"That's the risk you take," Flanagan said.

"If he tears his calf again he could be gone for three or four weeks which probably means the season, so that's what we've got to toss up.

"I'll be guided by the medical staff a bit there but we'll see how we go."

Gallen declared he was in desperate need of a rest after the Sharks' round-18 win over Canberra.

His incredible 80-minute efforts at prop for New South Wales in the State of Origin series had clearly taken their toll and a week later he was forced off WIN Jubilee Oval with the calf problem.

Flanagan said the injury was taking longer than expected to heal.

"I thought he'd be 100 per cent (this week), he was close last Friday night but it's really slow and I'm not that confident anymore," Flanagan said.

"He'll train on Friday and if he comes up 100 per cent he'll play, but he's not sending out any great signals at the moment."

The Sharks also have concerns over niggles to backs John Williams and Matthew Wright.

After a mid-season rally of four straight wins, Cronulla have lost their past three games, the latest a 46-16 smashing by Brisbane.

But, despite facing a virtually impossible task to make the top eight, they have not given up on playing finals football.

"We've won four in a row (this season) and there's five games left and we're confident that we can win all of our games," Flanagan said.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

teke
04-08-11, 02:54 AM
Who are the Sharks kidding, they arn't playing finals footy this year :laugh:

DIEHARD
04-08-11, 11:50 PM
Cronulla Sharks v Gold Coast Titans

Want to learn more about cfds? We can help. Learn More

Sharks captain Paul Gallen. Photo: Getty Images
Toyota Stadium, Sydney, Saturday 7.30pm (AEST)
Last meeting: Round 16 2011 - Sharks 36 bt Titans 12 at Skilled Park
Stats: Head-to-head
Referees: Gavin Badger, David Munro
TV: Live, FoxSports 2
TAB Sportsbet: Sharks $1.43 Titans $2.85
FootyTab: Titans +6.5

Greg Prichard writes: The Storm?s winning streak should have been stopped at eight games on Monday night, when the Eels had them down 18-0. But the Eels have become world champions at finding ways to lose this season, and the Storm got home late. That experience should shake the Storm up for this one, but they do have to deal with a quick turnaround. Two straight losses have left the Panthers four points outside of the top eight.

AAP writes: Cronulla have conceded 102 points in their past three matches - all losses against the Dragons, Knights and Broncos but will be boosted with the return of skipper Paul Gallen. Sharks coach Shane Flanagan reacted to last week's heavy loss to Brisbane by dropping fullback Nathan Gardner to the bench with Isaac Gordon taking over at fullback. The Titans will be without former Shark Greg Bird, who has a hamstring problem while veteran centre Clinton Toopi has been dropped. Steve Michaels returns on the wing with William Zillman to play in the centres for the bottom-placed Titans who have been a shambles in 2011.

Key: The Titans forwards have to stand up and provide a platform for embattled halfback Scott Prince to weave some magic, otherwise the Sharks will slaughter them.

SHARKS: Isaac Gordon, Matthew Wright, Ben Pomeroy, Ricky Leutele, Nathan Stapleton, Wade Graham, Chad Townsend, Josh Cordoba, John Morris, Luke Douglas, Jeremy Smith, Taulima Tautai, Paul Gallen (capt). Interchange: Kade Snowden, Sam Tagataese, Paul Aiton, Anthony Tupou, Johnny Mannah, Nathan Gardner, Tyson Frizell (two to be omitted).

TITANS: Jordan Rankin, Steve Michaels, William Zillman, Dominique Peyroux, David Mead, Beau Henry, Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Matt Srama, Matthew White, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello, Luke O'Dwyer. Interchange: Brenton Lawrence, Will Matthews, Bodene Thompson, Preston Campbell.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/

karnage
05-08-11, 09:41 AM
Key: The Titans forwards have to stand up and provide a platform for embattled halfback Scott Prince to weave some magic, otherwise the Sharks will slaughter them.

It's not often one of these preview writers uses a word like 'slaughter'...

DIEHARD
05-08-11, 11:19 AM
Key: The Tita0ns forwards have to stand up and provide a platform for embattled halfback Scott Prince to weave some magic, otherwise the Sharks will slaughter them.

It's not often one of these preview writers uses a word like 'slaughter'...

Yea the amount of desrespect out there for us is amazing. But that will just help us hunt under the radar in 2012. (I hope)

It's a shame that Gallen has returned, typical, we always face returning players. More often than not. But I still think we can win this. We have to.

I am pretty happy with the team named as well.

DIEHARD
05-08-11, 11:51 AM
Sharks v Titans
Toyota Stadium Saturday 7.30pm

Chances are the Toyota Stadium management have teamed their scoreboard operator with an assistant this week given these tackle-averse sides conceded a combined 96 points in losses to the Broncos and Knights last weekend.

The home side leaked eight soft tries to Brisbane – shaded by the Titans who slumped to a new season low when letting the Knights in for nine tries at Ausgrid Stadium. Between the two games they were the most and fourth-most points conceded by any side all year.

The Titans are left with a massive battle to avoid the wooden spoon; they sit in last place on the ladder, three points (effectively two wins) adrift of Parramatta. Meanwhile, even if the Sharks were to win all five of their remaining games, 28 competition points would still most likely see them fall one win and a couple of dozen for-and-against points shy of the finals zone.

All that’s left to compete for here is pride, bragging rights… and maybe even a few playing futures.

Quite a few team changes from the Sharks this week: in worrying news for the Titans the Sharks welcome back their powerhouse captain Paul Gallen after a fortnight out with a calf strain. His inclusion sees Jeremy Smith shift back to the second row, pushing Tyson Frizell to the extended bench. Paul Aiton also makes his return, named on the bench.

But the Sharks will be sweating on the fitness of mercurial fullback Nathan Gardner, who has been named on the bench – Isaac Gordon has been named at fullback to cover for him. Another blow is the loss of Colin Best (hamstring); he’s been replaced by rookie Ricky Leutele.

Elsewhere Ben Pomeroy will start at centre, with Matthew Wright moving to wing and pushing John Williams from the squad. Taulima Tautai has been named in the second row, with Anthony Tupou benched. Johnny Mannah rounds out their extended interchange.

Meanwhile injuries and poor form have forced John Cartwright to reshuffle his side; they’ll be without injured impact player Greg Bird, with Luke O’Dwyer replacing him at lock. Centre Clinton Toopi has been punted, with Dominique Peyroux moving from wing to centre and Steve Michaels recalled on the flank. Matt White returns to partner Luke Bailey in the front row with Anthony Laffranchi dropping back to the second row and Bodene Thompson benched. Matt Srama will start at hooker after paying from the bench last week, with Preston Campbell relegated to the pine. Will Matthews is the new face on the bench.

It’s a huge challenge for the Titans – no Gold Coast side ever won in the shire in 10 attempts!

Watch Out Sharks: If Scott Prince gets some room to move and time to think and has some willing supports he can make a dent in the Sharks from close range. The stats show the Sharks have conceded 18 tries off select passes close to their try line – the third most by any side.

Last week the ravenous Broncos put 11 line-breaks past the Sharks, the most by a team all year – and although they’ve struggled in this department the Titans still have a few troops capable of busting them open. Winger David Mead has 11 line-breaks to his name as well as 48 tackle-breaks, while centre William Zillman has seven line-breaks. Again, Prince is the man most likely to help his team-mates through; he has a team-high eight line-break assists.

The Titans favour a left-side attack and they may gain some unprecedented success this week coming up against the Sharks’ right-side defenders who have conceded 31 tries compared to 25 on the other side of the park.

Having said that Brisbane targeted the Sharks’ right side last week, crossing for seven tries, so Luke O’Dwyer and David Mead may combine to wreak some havoc there.

Danger Sign: If the Titans head right often you’ll know they’re playing mind games with the Sharks’ left-side defenders who were simply paper-thin with their tackles last week. The Titans scored three tries on the right side against the Knights.

Watch Out Titans: The Gold Coast players slipped off their tackles last week like the Knights’ players were covered in Funnel Web spiders, their 56 misses were the seventh most in a game this year. They need to turn things around or hard-running Sharks like Paul Gallen (62 tackle-breaks and an NRL-high 178 metres a game), Nathan Gardner, should he play (12 line-breaks, 100 tackle-breaks – third most by any player) and Wade Graham (10 line-breaks, 60 tackle-breaks) will run riot.

Kicks have really brought the Titans unstuck this year – the side has conceded 23 tries to the boot, more than any other team. The Sharks have had good success from kicks, scoring 12 tries.

With a greater share of possession this week the Sharks can make the most of their offloading skills. The team ranks fourth for offloads (12.9 a game) with Anthony Tupou their most dangerous with 47 made. Paul Gallen (36) and Ben Pomeroy (21) are threats too. The Titans need to wrap up these players and be especially alert near their try line – they’ve conceded eight tries from offloads.

Given their struggle to score points the Titans really need to make sure they give themselves every chance and execute correctly – they’ve conceded 16 penalties while in possession! D’oh!

Danger Sign: Only the Cowboys have more trouble defusing cross-field bombs than the Titans, who fumble the ball a worrying 67 per cent of the time. And overall the Titans are the least assured when fielding kicks, escaping problems just 60 per cent of times. You can bet Chad Townsend will launch plenty of aerial raids.

Plays To Watch: Nathan Gardner’s zippiness (102 metres and six tackle-breaks against the Broncos last week); Anthony Tupou’s offloads; Luke Douglas’ cart-ups; Paul Gallen’s no-fear charges; Scott Prince’s involvement to salvage some pride; Beau Henry’s clever flick passes; David Mead’s speed; Luke Bailey’s commitment (15 runs, 134 metres and 35 tackles last week).

Where It Will Be Won: In attitude. For the most part last week the Titans looked like they’d clocked off and weren’t prepared to put their bodies on the line in defence, especially in the second half when they gave up the ghost and conceded 34 points; meanwhile the Sharks were psychologically shattered by a far superior opponent. Whichever team shrugs off the funk and turns up prepared and focused will get the competition points.

The History: Played 7; Sharks 4, Titans 3. The Sharks have won the past two games between the sides, including a 36-12 win at Skilled Park in Round 16. The Titans have lost all three games at Toyota Stadium.

Conclusion: The Titans owe John Cartwright. There isn’t a more passionate mentor in the game and to see some of the insipid efforts from his ‘reputation’ players this year… well, in the words of Dragons coach Wayne Bennett: “It makes you sick in the stomach.”

Whether they can turn things around so dramatically in a week though remains to be seen.

The Sharks were similarly dismal and even though they are done for 2011 there are some players who need to put in for the rest of the year to guarantee they figure in coach Shane Flanagan’s plans in 2012. At home, they have more upside – just.

The Sharks by a converted try.

Match Officials: Referees – Gavin Badger & David Munro; Sideline Officials – Steve Chiddy & Grant Atkins; Video Ref – Bernard Sutton.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live 7.30pm (viewer’s choice), delayed 9.20pm.

* Stats: NRL Stats

http://www.nrl.com/

Titan Dad
05-08-11, 02:31 PM
Yea the amount of desrespect out there for us is amazing. But that will just help us hunt under the radar in 2012. (I hope)

It's a shame that Gallen has returned, typical, we always face returning players. More often than not. But I still think we can win this. We have to.

I am pretty happy with the team named as well.

DIEHARD by name DIEHARD by nature. I am with you on this one mate. We will get them and silence the critics for at least one day anyway. They will no doubt still try and stick the knife into us no matter how we are going.:doh:

DIEHARD
06-08-11, 11:32 AM
Gallen passed fit to take on Titans

Cronulla captain Paul Gallen passed a fitness test on Friday and is expected to return from injury against Gold Coast at Toyota Stadium on Saturday night.

Gallen has been battling a calf injury and was forced into a rare two-week stint on the NRL sidelines.

But the courageous lock will risk further damage and lead his side out against the Titans after completing everything asked of him at the Sharks' final training session.

The only risk to Gallen taking the field for the do-or-die clash is if he wakes up on Saturday morning and the pain from his torn calf has intensified.

Fullback Nathan Gardner will play for Cronulla's NSW Cup side.

Despite being left out of the 17 at the beginning of the week, there was some chance Gardner would still play, but it's now been confirmed that after a run of poor form he'll make way for Isaac Gordon at the back.

Sharks coach Shane Flanagan said Gardner and Colin Best weren't scapegoats for last week's flogging by Brisbane, and declared the lightning fast No.1 and the experienced centre would make it back to first grade.

"No, he's (Gardner) not a scapegoat, Nathan hasn't been at his best over the last month, he's been battling a few niggling injuries which has affected his form a little bit and the bloke that's replaced him there Ike (Isaac) Gordon has been playing really well," Flanagan said.

"He's a great player and he'll come back from it.

"Colin Best ... he's been great for us over the year. He didn't have a great game last week but he wasn't on his own, that's for sure. I needed to make a couple of changes and where and whom was a tough decision, and he'll just have a rest this week and be back bigger and better."

Cronulla are six competition points out of the top eight picture, but Flanagan says the topsy-turvy nature of the NRL means his Sharks can't give up yet.

Flanagan needs Newcastle and Wests Tigers to fall into significant holes over the final five weeks and the Sharks would need to win every remaining game to be any chance.

"We've won four in a row (this season) and there's five games left and we're confident that we can win all of our games," he said.

"Our form over the last couple of weeks has been poor, and we've all put our hands up and admitted to that.

"We're in a situation now where we're still in control of our own destiny a little bit, if we win five games we can probably scrape in there, but we've got to win five games and that's a tough job."

Wooden spoon favourites the Titans will now have the added motivation of playing for veteran Preston Campbell, who announced on Friday he will retire at season's end.

Campbell won the 2001 Dally M medal while playing for the Sharks and with the emotion of calling it a day running through him, the utility will be primed for a big one against his former side.

nrl

C-Whiz
06-08-11, 04:23 PM
I am dreading this game. Maybe that's a good omen, because I thought we really had a chance for the past few games, and we all know how that turned out.

Having said that, if we can win tonight, then I honestly think we could beat Storm and ride the last games home to avoid the spoon.

Who do you think will start at hooker tonight? :laugh:

DIEHARD
06-08-11, 04:53 PM
Who do you think will start at hooker tonight? :laugh:

Hopefully Srama mate and hopefully he stays there. :thumbsup:

Titanic
06-08-11, 06:19 PM
Spoilers allowed, mods?

teke
06-08-11, 06:29 PM
Spoilers allowed, mods?Sharks win...sori :(

Tamwelg
06-08-11, 06:53 PM
Spoilers allowed, mods?

I don't see why not, I'll update the thread title with spoiler alert.

DIEHARD
06-08-11, 06:56 PM
Spoilers allowed, mods?

Yea mate it's a live game, game discussion is very welcome.

DIEHARD
06-08-11, 06:57 PM
Not long now till kick off. I'm going to continue to be optimistic and expect a good game.

Would love to see Rankin kill it tonight.

Tamwelg
06-08-11, 07:11 PM
Yea mate it's a live game, game discussion is very welcome.

:doh: Silly me of course it is :drinkies:

Titanic
06-08-11, 07:18 PM
Looking forward to getting through a game with nothing negative at all :boo: flicked the bbq this week to reflect on the game without putting up with the abuse ... typhoon heading this way.

teke
06-08-11, 07:23 PM
Looking forward to getting through a game with nothing negative at all :boo:Law of Attraction. Think negative and it comes ;)

Titanic
06-08-11, 07:28 PM
Law of the Jungle: Sharks never made it out of the sea.

Toads
06-08-11, 07:38 PM
I hope prince isn't converting tonight..

Titanic
06-08-11, 07:40 PM
that'll do

Titanic
06-08-11, 07:44 PM
hook Mini for that now

DIEHARD
06-08-11, 07:49 PM
Looking pretty good so far. Great try to Mead off the cut out pass.

Got sting in our defence, where has this been? This is familiar.

Titanic
06-08-11, 07:54 PM
hook Mini now ... he really is a liability ... poor miss

Titanic
06-08-11, 08:02 PM
how does that push on 5 go un noticed but we get penalised there

Titanic
06-08-11, 08:05 PM
gee no luck

eelectrica
06-08-11, 08:08 PM
Penalty goals are not going to bring a victory!
We're coming last dammit -quit taking soft options!

Titanic
06-08-11, 08:09 PM
Prince poor pass option

Toads
06-08-11, 08:10 PM
indeed, prince should've went himself

Titanic
06-08-11, 08:10 PM
Prince is trying but his timing is so off

Toads
06-08-11, 08:12 PM
un***believable! Onya Meady!

Titanic
06-08-11, 08:12 PM
freakin' classic Mead

eelectrica
06-08-11, 08:14 PM
Listening to this on the radio. Looking forward to seeing that one.

eelectrica
06-08-11, 08:17 PM
Sounds like Peyroux is having a nigthmare with his handling

Titanic
06-08-11, 08:20 PM
How are your pace-makers lads? I think the betting scandal mob should swab both teams - we've got more ways to lose than anybody could imagine and the Sharks don't want to take them.

teke
06-08-11, 08:21 PM
1 more try from my boy Mead and I walk away with a few grand.

I want collective positive energy fellas :banana:

Titanic
06-08-11, 08:21 PM
Peyroux adds something in defence I can happily report.

eelectrica
06-08-11, 08:22 PM
We're a 40 good minutes from our first win since beating the reserve grade Dragons. Hope we can produce.
Going to need more 2 or 3 more tries to win this.

TitansFan2020
06-08-11, 08:24 PM
Mead, excellent try and an excellent game so far. Peyroux, brutal defence. prince Going good but seriously have you heard zilly's name its like hes not out there!

Titanic
06-08-11, 08:28 PM
Zillman ok but crampd by Mini ... 3rd time I've said it ... he is a liability ... enthusiastic but a liability. Cramps the left-side, to slow around the ruck i defence and makes how many errors per game.

Also Michaels getting no ball in attack and no support in defence ... Sharks just need to keep popping at him ... still our effort is freakin' extraordinary.

Toads
06-08-11, 08:28 PM
:laugh: Titanic 'n teke. :laugh:

Wow eelectrica, I didn't realise it's been that long since our last win. :doh:

Here's hoping the lads hold their composure and defense for the next Forty.. :thumbsup:

Titanic
06-08-11, 08:33 PM
bullsh!t bloody hell :-)

eelectrica
06-08-11, 08:33 PM
LOL Sharks, they've got a penalty for us being off side and taking a shot for goal :rolf:

Titanic
06-08-11, 08:37 PM
where's Zillman? over the try line :-)

eelectrica
06-08-11, 08:39 PM
where's Zillman? over the try line :-)

Keep it up Titans! Sharks deserve to lose for kicking that penalty goal. Softer than butter.

Titanic
06-08-11, 08:44 PM
mid field defence ... campbell please no more - Srama please

eelectrica
06-08-11, 08:45 PM
Bailey gives away a stupid penalty on the last tackle and Sharks score 18-12.
Crap like that is why we're running last.

Toads
06-08-11, 08:46 PM
Yup, need Srama back on the paddock.

Titanic
06-08-11, 08:49 PM
every penalty has been deserved ... we are ill disciplined

eelectrica
06-08-11, 08:50 PM
every penalty has been deserved ... we are ill disciplined

We're too stupid to win games.

Toads
06-08-11, 08:52 PM
It's as if we've lost our first half momentum again. :(

eelectrica
06-08-11, 08:54 PM
Sounds like the Sharks are just as stupid tonight. We're lucky.
Need to score more tries.

Titanic
06-08-11, 08:55 PM
we can take the two because we are as hard as John Holmes (for all you old bastards).

eelectrica
06-08-11, 08:57 PM
Still going to need at least one more try I feel.

eelectrica
06-08-11, 09:03 PM
Sounds like Zillman saves the day with a big tackle.
Between Parra and the Titans I'm going to be a full on alcoholic by the end of this season and I barely drink!

Titanic
06-08-11, 09:10 PM
Mead far too deep but now we'll see if we have anything

eelectrica
06-08-11, 09:11 PM
20-16 Sharks. About a minute left.

eelectrica
06-08-11, 09:13 PM
Titans win! Titans win!

Tamwelg
06-08-11, 09:14 PM
OMG we win :D

DIEHARD
06-08-11, 09:19 PM
Wow we hung in there and won. Well done Titans. I was proud and the defensive efforts out there tonight were tonic for the soul and I enjoyed them as much as linebreaks.

Devastated to see Scott Prince go off, looks like a broken arm, Just have to see how it washes up but hard to see him coming back any time soon.

And what about that mircale try by David Mead, one for the all time highlights reel! That's what we pay money for and why we support our team. Feels great to get a bit of a pay off tonight.

And interesting to say that Friend had some defensive drills for them at training. It certainly helped. As Mead said, might be a future career for Nathan.

Titanic
06-08-11, 09:20 PM
that'll do and now I can stop whinging until I think about the penalty count and a million other things - onya lads until next week :-)

eelectrica
06-08-11, 09:21 PM
Damn, they didn't mention anything like that on the radio commentary about Scotty Prince. Talk about every silver lining having a cloud!

Tamwelg
06-08-11, 09:23 PM
Damn, they didn't mention anything like that on the radio commentary about Scotty Prince. Talk about every silver lining having a cloud!

You weren't near to tv to watch the game?

Toads
06-08-11, 09:24 PM
The last 10 minutes definately had me on the edge of my seat. Stoked to finally see us add another 2 points onto the ladder.

Well done lads, hope this is the change that we've all been hanging out for quite some time.

eelectrica
06-08-11, 09:26 PM
You weren't near to tv to watch the game?

Nah listening to ABC commentary I've gotten rid of Austar. Nights like this I wish I still had it, but it's not really worth the expense.

Tamwelg
06-08-11, 09:29 PM
Nah listening to ABC commentary I've gotten rid of Austar. Nights like this I wish I still had it, but it's not really worth the expense.

Yeah I agree, apart from the NRL not much else on there worth watching and not worth the expense.

lonegull
06-08-11, 09:31 PM
yes thank god, its about bloody time they started playing for each other, great win, go you good things finally something to cheer about

Steelers
06-08-11, 09:33 PM
I don't have Pay TV, I just watch live streams on the internet :)

eelectrica
06-08-11, 09:38 PM
So if Prince is gone is it Presto to 7 for the rest of the season? Not sure who else to throw in there.

shamus
06-08-11, 09:40 PM
we can take the two because we are as hard as John Holmes (for all you old bastards).

Right on both counts....I am old and pretty sure I am a bastard....I remember John. He was a terrible actor and always cum across as a little stiff with his acting. :D

On another note......Geez, we did our best to lose and couldn't even get that right. :ugh:

Thank God! ::p

TITAN PETE
06-08-11, 09:47 PM
Spoke with our real no9 after the match & he is in Melbourne & didn't even know the score.... But he did say the boys were training themselves this week:surprise: , maybe there should be more of it with Friendy taking over from Gilly :thumbsup:

teke
06-08-11, 09:51 PM
that'll do and now I can stop whinging until I think about the penalty count and a million other things - onya lads until next week :-)What did I say about Law of Attraction - whinging almost cost us :laugh:

Coaster
06-08-11, 09:52 PM
Everytime we have played storm without prince we have won. Maybe an omen.

defense was great tonight, first time we have seen that all year.
I won't talk about the penalties

karnage
06-08-11, 10:01 PM
I couldn't even remember what it felt like to get a win. Awesome stuff!!!!

Coaster
06-08-11, 10:02 PM
I know Karnage such a long time between drinks

eelectrica
06-08-11, 10:35 PM
Match highlights are up now on nrl.com, that Mead try was absolutely freakish.
They also showed the tackled Prince got injured on. doesn't look hopefull for Prince. Just when he's finally starting to get a bit of form.

CairnsTitan
06-08-11, 11:09 PM
I can see why prince is scared to tackle/get tackled, he is made of paper

SunnyCoastTitanFan
06-08-11, 11:10 PM
I was at work tonight so couldn't watch or listen to the game, but according to the stats, 40% possession and 10 penalties conceded and we still won :D. Sad to see Princey out :(, but we lose nothing with Presto at half imo, plus it is the games where we had Presto at 7, playing against the Storm where we had some great wins, all we need is the same resolute defense we used on that cold night at Olympic Park back in April 2009, well that maybe a bit much, but Melbourne have won 10 straight, I doubt they can maintain the intensity much longer.

patskE
06-08-11, 11:16 PM
cairnstitan... didnt u see his defense? one of the best game in defense i seen him play...

rankin... wat a improvement is all i can say :D
i dnt know about herny, he seems a bit up himself, better then the rest :S yet to convince me aye

soooooo cut i couldnt make it out ;(
gw to everyone who went out there.
where was that determination past 6 matches

teke
06-08-11, 11:18 PM
I can see why prince is scared to tackle/get tackled, he is made of paperPrince did some doozies in defence tonight but lucky his teammates covered up.

SunnyCoastTitanFan
06-08-11, 11:30 PM
I just saw the highlights, Mead is a real gun it looked like he did it sooooo easily, speaking of Mead has anyone noticed that he is only 3 tries off top try scorer?

teke
06-08-11, 11:35 PM
I just saw the highlights, Mead is a real gun it looked like he did it sooooo easily, speaking of Mead has anyone noticed that he is only 3 tries off top try scorer?I put 100 on him 4 weeks ago at $51. He promised me 3 tonight so he can go jump :mad:

49 Matches with 26 tries is quite good considering.

teke
06-08-11, 11:47 PM
It's not good that Gallen was looking at Henry when he sprigged his face.

A few weeks on the sideline for that im guessing, he still made a whopping 240 mtrs :surprise:

Supergoose
07-08-11, 12:23 AM
I agree Teke - he should've been sent off for that IMO - He will now get a week or two and the Titans don't get any benefit when they were the ones infringed on. Henry does seem to lie in the ruck a lot though. He is one strange character. He hangs around offside, just seems to drift in and out of the game - puts on a hit here and there and then goes missing again. He has something about him, but has yet to really impress.

I'm loving Rankin at fullback - he has really provided something. With Prince out will they play Ranking at halfback and bring in Mead to fullback and perhaps Vickery or someone else on the wing - maybe even Walker to fullback for one last hurrah, or will Presto get 80 mins at halfback for the rest of the season. Tough one really and maybe there's a case for playing Srama at half with O'Dwyer and Presto sharing hooker. I still reckon Bird at hooker is a trick we have missed. I thought Peyroux did some good things especially in defence tonight. Anyway, good to see some experimenting and great to finally get a win no matter how absurd the game was.

Titanic
07-08-11, 01:04 AM
I thought that the Bailey/Laffranchi issue became clearer tonight. These two guys should not be on the field at the same time. We looked a lot better with one on and one off and younger legs around the ruck in defence.

Minichiello has me beat - you can't fault his commitment but his execution is horrible.

Sorry for Prince but not sorry for the team. Morris' try was a direct result of Prince being sold the dummy five meters out and although he had a fair game in attack plus had a go in defence, I think he is not the vital cog that he is made out to be.

Rankin looked a lot more comfortable tonight and Peyroux showed enough to suggest that he's going to see a fair bit more NRL in the future. Peyroux v Neilson wil be worth the price of admission.

I think Henry has a bit of John Sutton about him and once the team can work out how to switch him on he should be fine. His kicking is erratic but his defence is stable, his passing is crisp but his positioning is questionable.

I'd like to add a little pat on the back for Will Mathews who I really though would be a waste of space ... good effort.

Matt Srama = 80 minutes ... please, whoever is coaching the team.

Super_Matt
07-08-11, 09:25 AM
Rankin had an awesome game, so stoked that he's getting some good game time, and making the most of it.

Was quite impressed with Mark Minichiello this game. Despite the bias love, he's stepped up with recent injuries, and playing all but 80 minutes (77), he logged up some great tackles and meters.

His hands are getting alot better too, he's worked quite hard on it i reckon, and it's starting to show. All this when he's virtually destined for the bench next season, and 20-30 mins a game! Love that he's committed to staying though.

Great game, poor Prince though!

shamus
07-08-11, 09:41 AM
I thought that the Bailey/Laffranchi issue became clearer tonight. These two guys should not be on the field at the same time. We looked a lot better with one on and one off and younger legs around the ruck in defence.

I can't comment as I didn't notice. I will watch the reply during the week.

Minichiello has me beat - you can't fault his commitment but his execution is horrible.

I thought he had one of his better games tonight.. He didn't try to offload.. :thumbsup:

Sorry for Prince but not sorry for the team. Morris' try was a direct result of Prince being sold the dummy five meters out and although he had a fair game in attack plus had a go in defence, I think he is not the vital cog that he is made out to be.

Yeah, you are correct, he did fall for it, but it was Morris only moments earlier that interfered with Prince, not the other way around that led to the Sharks being down that end.

Rankin looked a lot more comfortable tonight and Peyroux showed enough to suggest that he's going to see a fair bit more NRL in the future. Peyroux v Neilson wil be worth the price of admission.

I thought both were great. Rankin was a standout!

I think Henry has a bit of John Sutton about him and once the team can work out how to switch him on he should be fine. His kicking is erratic but his defence is stable, his passing is crisp but his positioning is questionable.

.......Jury is still out on this one....Really silly stuff like being 1000 metres off side on a charge down on the last tackle.... :fight: WTF!

I'd like to add a little pat on the back for Will Mathews who I really though would be a waste of space ... good effort.

TBH I didn't notice, 17 blokes out there and I find it difficult to watch all of 'em (I think it is the alcohol)

Matt Srama = 80 minutes ... please, whoever is coaching the team.
Agree 100%

shamus
07-08-11, 09:45 AM
.....Oh and we broke the milestone hoodoo last night.

First win for a Gold Coast team EVER at Shark Park! :banana:

Ryan
07-08-11, 10:09 AM
I can see why prince is scared to tackle/get tackled, he is made of paper
Steel actually, if you are talking about the plate thats in his arm ;)
26 tackles is more than what he should have to make, but the team have to make 100 more tackles than Cronulla....

Well you can certainly notice the difference when the boys want to turn up and play, the difference in effort compared to last week was blinding. And the efforts in defense on our line gives me hope not concede 100+ to Melbourne next week! Still a scrappy performance and realistically we probably wouldn't have beaten a better side, but even though we lost the penalty count 10-3, the possession 58%-42% and missed 40 tackles - it was good to see them put some ticker into their game.

Rankin showed his potential in #1, it would be good if he can do that week in week out. Minichiello played nearly 80mins for only 1 error! And finally some support in attack for Prince, with genuine threats from Campbell & Rankin. Hopefully we can jag a few more wins and offload the spoon to Parra in the last round :D

patskE
07-08-11, 12:52 PM
it will be interesting to see what they do at halfback now. prob see just campbell there n lawton on the bench maybe

TitansFan2020
07-08-11, 12:57 PM
I reckon we will see
1. rankin
3. zillman
6. henry
7. presto
9. srama
17. lawton

but i hope

1. walker
3. zillman
6. rankin
7. henry
9.srama
17. presto

Titanic
07-08-11, 01:39 PM
I wouldn't change anything except Campbell to 7 and Lawton on the bench with Bird starting replacing Mathews with Minichiello on the bench, however...

Doesn't anybody else think that Minichiello is so often caught out of position in defence on that left side, that he chokes the left side attack (Zillman looked good once he got some ball), that he will try to off-load every tackle no matter what (thank heavens he somehow just didn't let them go last night) and that he gives outrageous penalties every week (the NRL's most penalised player)?

I know he tries his heart out, he can tackle and bend the line occasionally but fairdinkum.... Thompson, Ridge, Bird and even Mathews (on last nights dig) are surely better options.

Did anybody pick-up on that sarcastic comment Belcher made about why Bird wasn't playing, "they said he had a hamstring problem or something"? He sounded like he suspected that there was some other reason, such as being dropped.

teke
07-08-11, 01:47 PM
The left side defence is where alot of problems start. I havnt picked it yet but I wanna know why there is often a 1 or 2 man overlap on the right edge.

Coaster
07-08-11, 01:52 PM
Bird tweeted he went skydiving yesterday.
Make your own conclusions

Titanic
07-08-11, 02:01 PM
Skydiving is a well known cure for hamstrings. That's how they treated them years ago ... without a parachute ...lol.

Coaster
07-08-11, 02:04 PM
Skydiving is a well known cure for hamstrings. That's how they treated them years ago ... without a parachute ...lol.

It's not a good look.
If I was paying someone 200k+ and they had a sickday, I would be plssed if they went skydiving lol

matti
07-08-11, 03:44 PM
he prob went with carty lol

DIEHARD
07-08-11, 07:20 PM
I know Bird is contracted to us, but I'm sus about the Knights.

DIEHARD
07-08-11, 07:23 PM
I have very much enjoyed my Sunday in the reflected glow and warmth of a win. And now we are just one point behind the Eels. We can escape the spoon!

Shattered about Prince being out, he has far too much more than his fair share of long term injuries. But well... get ready for 2012 Princey and help the squad out as much as you can as we battle for pride in 2011.

I'd like to see Preston at halfback. I don't think we can have two inexperienced halves. Let Presto lead the Titans in the remaining games of his career!from #7

Preston the giant killer has had much success in taking down enormous opponents while playing at halfback, particularly the Melbourne Storm.

Smakked
07-08-11, 09:26 PM
Yeah had almost forogt what it feels like to get a win. Good Job to the boys Dom showed some promise. Now all we need is Eels to loose Monday night.

matti
07-08-11, 09:33 PM
i think zilly needs more ball, leave ranks at fb

teke
07-08-11, 09:38 PM
I dont think Eels will be the team we will be fighting for Spoon, the Raiders dont look like they'll win another game this season

Titanic
07-08-11, 11:23 PM
How about third last?

TITAN PETE
08-08-11, 12:28 PM
Mead's NRL 'try of the year' wasn't lucky

Ben Horne AAP Sun, Aug 07, 2011 - 6:53 PM

Gold Coast winger David Mead's stunning nomination for try of the year was "freakish" and "amazing", but you won't hear Titans teammates describing it as lucky.

For pure individual skill, you'll struggle to find a better try than Mead's effort in the first half of the Titans 20-16 win over Cronulla on Saturday night.

With the Titans attacking the Sharks' line, halfback Scott Prince saw an opportunity to put a cross-field kick over the top for the flying No.5 to chase through, however it looked as though the skipper had over-cooked the delivery.

The ball bounced harshly millimetres inside the chalk, destined to go into touch with its next bounce and giving Mead just a fraction of a second to react as he sped down the touchline.

But showing miraculous touch, the PNG-born Mead crouched to get closer to the ground before grabbing the ball one-handed on the half volley and jamming it into his side.

He tip-toed up the sideline, maintained control and dived over for a try, the likes of which might never be seen again.

Nine times out 10, the play would have resulted in a scrum feed to Cronulla, but Titans veteran Luke Bailey said that doesn't mean it was a fluke.

"It was (a bit special)... in saying that, though, he works at his skills and works at his fitness. He's probably one of the last guys to leave training and it's just a reward for his consistent effort," said Bailey.

"It was freakish and I thought it was no chance when I saw it ... couldn't be happier."

Mead was modest about his piece of magic, post-match, but admitted he won't forget it in a hurry.

"It's one of my favourites, yeah, it has to be," a grinning Mead told AAP.

"Just when I saw Princey get the ball, I saw the winger jam up a bit and I put my hand up and called for him to kick.

"I don't know it happened so fast. I can't even remember it.

"I saw the ball bounce up and I put my hand out and it just stuck. I don't even know how it did but I'm glad it did and I'm pretty happy with the try."

Assistant coach Steve Murphy agreed with Bailey that Mead's effort wasn't a total accident.

"I can't believe he caught that ball. It was just one of those freak things, those amazing things. He's got those in him, Dave," said Murphy.

On the same night in Brisbane, Warriors halfback Shaun Johnson also posted a candidate for the year's best try, with an incredible solo run down field in the first half where he beat numerous defenders.

Bayside Titan
08-08-11, 08:49 PM
I thought we played pretty well and looked like the team that played well last year in patches. I thought that Dom played pretty soundly and Henry has started to find his feet. We still had brain explosions but they didn't hurt us too much. Our defense on the line was a lot better.