PDA

View Full Version : Queen Street Mall smoking ban from September

DIEHARD
21-07-11, 09:45 AM
Queen Street Mall smoking ban from September 1

A TOTAL smoking ban in the Queen Street Mall will take effect from the first day of Spring.

Lord Mayor Graham Quirk will announce that September 1 will herald the start of a smoke-free mall which was first flagged by his predecessor Campbell Newman last November.

Under the ban, smokers will face a $200 fine if they are caught lighting up in the mall.

Up to 900,000 people frequent the mall each week and a 2010 survey found 80 per cent of respondents supported a total smoking ban in the shopping strip.

Cr Quirk will provide further details at a press conference with representatives of the Australian Medical Association and the Queensland Cancer Council.

http://www.couriermail.com.au

DIEHARD
21-07-11, 09:46 AM
Thank god for that. We can reclaim and enjoy the mall without it being a giant ashtray.

C-Whiz
21-07-11, 10:24 PM
Thank god for that. We can reclaim and enjoy the mall without it being a giant ashtray.I agree with you mate, the worst thing about smokers IMO, is the way they just throw their butts on the ground and that's ok with them. It s#!t$ me.

We've come a long way from the Winfield Cup, hey boys?

DIEHARD
22-07-11, 08:41 AM
We should provide smoking booths like in science fiction for smokers. And it can suck all the smoke up. It can be coin operated. Like the suicide booths in Futurama.

Coaster
22-07-11, 05:15 PM
We should provide smoking booths like in science fiction for smokers. And it can suck all the smoke up. It can be coin operated. Like the suicide booths in Futurama.

How about you 2 grow a set, haha

FFS you probably both own cars spewing poisonous gases into the air, but complain about cigarette smoke.

You both should be on your knees thanking people like me, that pay for all your roads, schools ect with the amount of taxes i pay the government to smoke.

Bloody nanny state

TitansFan2020
23-07-11, 07:39 AM
Why smoke?

DIEHARD
23-07-11, 09:42 AM
Thank you for the roads and schools Coaster!

Toads
23-07-11, 10:04 AM
I can understand where Coaster is coming from. Because smokers are having their rights stomped on time 'n time again, while copping an earful by radical non-smokers telling them how they should live their lives. It's not pleasant feeling when others constantly question your lifestyle and become judgemental with it. While in the meantime, having the Government/Councils limiting places to where they can smoke. This situation gives smokers an slight understanding to what it may have felt like for lepers, and being treated as outcasts (whenever smokers light up or smell heavily of cigarettes).

On the other hand, it's not pleasant walking into a wall of cigarette smoke, like what has been happening in the Queen Street Mall. Non-smokers can thank the previous laws/legislation which has pushed the smokers out there, and not the smokers as such. So we all can directly lay blame at the Governments/Councils for their double standards 'n lack of hindsight, by not providing somewhere for smokers to go to partake in their habit. The Government has got to eventually address this properly by providing places for smokers. Or ban the sales of cigarettes, cigars, etc altogether. As they can't have it both ways like it currently is.

I smoked for 20 odd years 'n decided to quit some 4-5 years ago. So I've seen it from both sides of the fence. Personally, I don't buy into the hyped opinions from both sides. As I do think we all can co-exist if a little bit of old school common courtesy is practised, and shown towards one another.

On a side note, I do still get a laugh out of this common fallacy, some folk have that think their hard-earned tax dollars is going into health, education, transport, NBN infrastructure and/or dolebludgers. If we were all aware of what was actually getting squandered, before we got to see our tax dollars take shape. I'm sure this view/opinion wouldn't exist at all.

Cowboy Titan
23-07-11, 11:03 AM
I'm fine with people smoking if they wish. They can do what they want with their own bodies. I do have an issue though when myself and my family have to put up with people smoking nearby and with the mess that smokers feel is their right to leave behind.

The worst part of the walk out of Skilled Park after a game is the number of people lighting up when you're corralled in and can't escape it.

I personally watched my uncle die a slow, excruciating death from lung cancer and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. The saddest thing about when he was dying was one day when my mum went to visit. He's there on his last legs and his mum, wife, son & daughter were all out on the balcony smoking.