PDA

View Full Version : Speeding Fine from roadside mobile van.

C-Whiz
08-07-11, 05:12 PM
Hey peeps, I just received a speeding infringement notice in the mail. I was "busted" doing 70k's in a 60k zone, at the same place the van is usually parked. I know it is there, and for that reason I set cruise control, but because it is at the bottom of a descent, even doing 60 turns into 70 by the time you roll past it.

Anyway, has anyone else got some hard luck stories or rant about the ineffectiveness of camera detection units that advise you you were speeding 3 weeks after the offence?

Just for the sake of stirring the pot, the propoganda letter that accompanies the infringement notice states:

8. What if the speed camera vehicle was positioned on a downhill slope? Speed camera sites are selected primarily on road crash data, Queensland Police Service policy acknowledges that in some cases, it may be necessary to perform speed detection enforcement on downhill grades where there is documented history of crashes.

I have lived here for over 7 years and have never seen anything resembling a fender-bender, let alone a crash from people rolling down this hill. However, if people start braking to slow down for the camera I can see accidents happening as a result!

11. What does the government do with money collected from speed camera and red light camera detected offences?
Speed cameras and red light cameras are used for road safety purposes in Queensland. Driving at any speed above the posted speed limit is illegal and dangerous and it is for this reason that enforcement is undertaken, not for the purpose of raising revenue.

Hmmmm....... I call BS! :boo:

Steelers
09-07-11, 12:22 AM
Speed limits have always been a sham and enforcement of those limits has always been about making money. Why is it that dodgy rural roads always have a 100km/h limit while brand new roads with full safety fencing and multiple lanes are limited to 80km/h?

Mark Skaife had that news story thing a few months ago on TV about how speed limits cause more crashes because drivers spend too much time looking at their speed. I have almost crashed while driving at a speed camera a few times because I looked down to check my speed and looked up to see the back of a car with brake lights on slowing down to 20km/h below the speed limit.

If the government spend more of their resources on fixing up our roads rather than enforcing bogus speed limits then the road toll would be alot lower. The German autobahns are among the safest roads in the world and you can drive 200km/h on those if you want to (and many do).

SunnyCoastTitanFan
10-07-11, 02:07 PM
Well if they don't enforce these speed limits/traffic infringements, then there will be a lot of cops out there with nothing to do. On the Bruce Highway from Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast the speed is 100 km/h, and once u get to the coast it jumps up to 110km/h, and for no real reason from what I can see, it drops back to 100 when u get to the Sippy Downs/Mooloolabah area, then it jumps back up to 110. A couple of months ago, I missed the 100 sign (and the speed camera) and got fined and lost a point for going 112 km/h in that area, while overtaking. I just don't see why the speed really needed to drop in the first place. Plus speedos are always off anyway, and the tyre pressure and size can also has an affect. A friend of mine had 20" rims on his xr6, which threw his speedo out by 5km/h.

Coaster
12-07-11, 08:18 AM
Dont get me started on this, i hate this topic.

IMO this is the biggest joke in Australia. Try traveling long distances like to Victoria, the Old England Hwy used to 110, now dropped to 100 why? I got pinged 3 times going to warwick, not a house in site, and speed dropped to 80 for no reason, all 3 time i got done, was on a hwy, all 3 times i was going less then 100.

Look at any of Australias issues and IMO it comes back to the price of land, that is why we pay so much for everything. We have so much of it, but it is out of reach, due to ridiculous speeds on our roads, and the quality of them. They spend 80 billion on internet, but all they have to do, is give us decent infrastructure like 6 lanes highways, with UNLIMITED speed and we would flourish.

The Germans have the Autobahn, between that and there rail, they opened the whole of Europe up, and we could do the same, if we had someone will the balls to do it.

Cars are designed to travel at speed, 80% of the GC hwys are now down to 80km, due to construction or just money grabbing. Its a short term solution to get coins, it plsses me off.