PDA

View Full Version : QCUP Round 13: Ipswich Jets v Burleigh Bears

DIEHARD
17-06-11, 04:53 AM
Ipswich Jets v Burleigh Bears at North Ipswich Reserve on Friday, June 17 - 7.30pm

Ipswich Jets

1. Luke Capewell 2. Ramon Filipine 3. Donald Malone 4. Jarrod McInally 5. Esi Tonga 6. Brendon Lindsay 7. Todd Riggs 8. Matt McPhee 9. Michael Fisher 10. Nathaniel Neale 11. Jacob Ling 12. Lorenzo Maafu 13. Keiron Lander 15. Slade King 16. Sam Martin 17. Taulago Fonoti 18. Max Seumanutafa

Coach: Ben Walker & Shane Walker

Burleigh Bears

1. Nick Parfitt 2. Hayden Allsop 3. Dominic Walsh 4. Ayden Lee 5. Joe Vickery 6. Marty Mitchell 7. Jamie Dowling 8. Liam McDonald 9. Riley Brown 10. Brenton Lawrence 11. Louis Fanene 12. Jimmy Andersen 13. Seb Davies 14. Josh White 15. Martin Griese 16. Shaun Spring 17. Matt Pow

Coach: Paul Bramley

DIEHARD
17-06-11, 04:55 AM
Max to come off the bench

IN JUST five months Max Seumanutafa has gone from playing rugby union against ?hard nuts? on boggy fields in Scotland to making his Queensland Cup debut for the Ipswich Jets.

It has been an odd football journey for Seumanutafa, who made his long awaited debut for the Jets off the bench in their painful 24-22 loss to the Easts Tigers last week.

The 25-year-old has been in and out of the Jets FOGS Cup team for several years while also playing for Goodna in the IRL.

He has always showed talent, but never quite realised it until this year.

Seumanutafa will come off the bench for the green brigade in the QCup again tonight when the Jets clash with the Burleigh Bears at North Ipswich Reserve.

The centre turned back rower said he was determined to repay the faith Jets coaches Ben and Shane Walker had shown in him.

?They?ve given me a great opportunity and I want to repay them by playing good footy,? he said.

?Now that I?m in the team I want to stay there.

?It?s been a long time coming for me.

?I started the pre-season late, so I had to work twice as hard to get where I am.?

Earlier this year, Seumanutafa was playing the 15-man code in Scotland for Premier 2-3 rugby union club Dunfermline.

Dunfermline is 20km north-west of Edinburgh.

Homesick and not impressed with the weather, he only stayed 10 weeks.

?I missed my daughter (Harmony, 4) a lot. It was really hard being away form her and my family,? Seumanutafa said.

?It was really wet all the time. Coming from Ipswich where it?s hot, it?s hard to adjust to the cold.

?The quality of footy there is nothing like Australia.

?They?re physical. They are hard nuts.?

Jets co-coach Ben Walker said Seumanutafa had great potential.

?He?s improving as a footballer and we?ve been really happy with how he?s gone this year,? Walker said.

?His future lies in the back row.?

Seumanutafa was drawn back to the Jets to play with his cousin ? rampaging winger Ramon Filipine.

Filipine has been on fire this year.

?He?s more committed to footy. He?s training better, playing better, everything is going well for him this season,? Seumanutafa said.

Tonight?s match is the second encounter between the Jets and the Bears.

In round two the teams drew 20-20.

Bears coach Paul Bramley said the Jets should have won that encounter.

?They probably look back at that and think they should have won considering the experienced blokes they have there,? Bramley said.

?They didn?t throw it away but we did have a young team.?

Bramley said his backline would have to record personal bests in defence in order to halt the hulk that is Esi Tonga.

Tonga was the Jets best back last week in their two point loss against the Easts Tigers.

?It?s hard enough trying to stop Donald Malone, but then you also have Esi Tonga next to him,? Bramley said.

The Bears are expected to field new Gold Coast Titans signing Beau Henry tonight.

Henry moved from the Newcastle Knights mid-season after being told he would not be needed next year under Wayne Bennett.

http://www.qt.com.au

Nick
20-06-11, 09:39 PM
I wonder if Tonga will get called back into first grade anytime soon? Judging by the highlights from this match he had a very good game.