PDA

View Full Version : Cartwright stands down from NSW coaching role

Boofhead
06-06-11, 03:27 PM
Cartwright stands down from NSW coaching role
Gold Coast Titans Media | Jun 6, 2011

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans Coach John Cartwright has decided to stand down from his role as NSW Assistant Coach for the rest of the 2011 Origin series as he elects to focus solely on club football with the Titans.

Cartwright informed NSW Coach Ricky Stuart of his decision over the weekend, with the Jetstar Titans Coach saying he didn't feel comfortable leaving his side in its current predicament to join the NSW side which assembles in camp in Sydney today ahead of State of Origin 2.

?I've just decided that it was probably a little bit too much to be away with where we are at the moment,'' said Cartwright.

?I just probably wouldn't be able to get my head around being involved in the NSW team.

?I just phoned Ricky and said ?mate I won't be able to do it for the next couple of games'.

?My priority has always been here and none of us ever intended for us to be in this situation but if anything I'm excited by it. I think it's a challenge, we haven't been in these waters before and we're halfway through the season and looking to finish the back end of the year on a high.

?I just don't think I could've got my head around being down there while the side was up here working hard.''

Cartwright said the issue had been on his mind in recent weeks but he felt comfortable with his decision to stand down from his representative position.

?It has been on my mind. It's a tough thing to do ? you want to be involved at the very elite but my priority is here, so I have been wrestling with it,'' said Cartwright.

?But I feel much better now that I've made a decision. As I said my priority is here and in no way in the world have we given up on anything here.

?We realise we're halfway through and our pre-season goals haven't been met but we've still got half a season left to finish as high as we possibly can.''

Cartwright said Stuart had been very supportive of his decision to stand down given the team's current situation.

?He's been through some tough times at the Sharks and knows exactly what I'm going through ? he's been tremendous actually,'' said Cartwright.

?I still talk to him regularly and he understands where I was at.''

Titans

Titanic
06-06-11, 03:43 PM
I reckon Harrison and Bird should do so too ... we are a team aren't we?

Boofhead
06-06-11, 03:50 PM
I reckon Harrison and Bird should do so too ... we are a team aren't we?

You're not wrong, we are a better chance with them not playing at the moment apparently.

DIEHARD
06-06-11, 04:04 PM
Well done Carty. The truth is NRL coaches holding Origin positions doesn't really work anyway. There is going to come a time when many have to make a decision or feel pressure when their club doesn't fare well.

But I can't agree about Ash and Bird, if that happened Origin would be doomed and we would become like the AFL. You can throw international footy in that as well.

It isn't fair and another reason why the season needs to be adjusted.

I think we will get that balance one day.

Toads
06-06-11, 04:49 PM
Hmm, no mention of what Gilly is doing..

Chaos
06-06-11, 05:50 PM
Well done Carty. The truth is NRL coaches holding Origin positions doesn't really work anyway. There is going to come a time when many have to make a decision or feel pressure when their club doesn't fare well.

But I can't agree about Ash and Bird, if that happened Origin would be doomed and we would become like the AFL. You can throw international footy in that as well.

It isn't fair and another reason why the season needs to be adjusted.

I think we will get that balance one day.

I agree with you here Diehard...I hope we get that balance but it does highlight the stress both roles have at the same time.

Big mal gets to concentrate on the Origin all year round.

Coaster
06-06-11, 05:58 PM
Thank you Carty.
It may be just the impression given by you not being here, but it says a lot you have put the club before yourself.

Titanic
06-06-11, 06:53 PM
You're not wrong, we are a better chance with them not playing at the moment apparently.

Totally agree with this ... my facetious comment was made because neither Harrison nor Bird should have been picked for Origin on form, imho.

GoldCoastTitans100
06-06-11, 08:08 PM
No point standing down.
This is just to get some good publicity

TITAN PETE
06-06-11, 08:19 PM
I see the knockers are at the door even before the team is chosen this week , can't wait to see what rubbish the other has to say

Rage
06-06-11, 09:09 PM
Respect to Carty. Pretty much everyone in league says they focus on their club first and all rep honours second but it's rare to see someone actually walk the walk. He always comes across as more passionate than most of the players and he'll get us out of this sooner or later

AmericanTitan
06-06-11, 11:20 PM
I am sure Carty had to think long and hard about the decision, but in the end the right one was made IMO.

The team is struggling and his job is to get them back on track, first and foremost.