PDA

View Full Version : Round 14: St George-Illawarra Dragons vs Gold Coast Titans

Pages : [1] 2

Boofhead
05-06-11, 03:17 PM
St George-Illawarra Dragons vs Gold Coast Titans7:45 | Win Jubilee Stadium | Fri June 10

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/NRL/dragonsvstitans.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/NRL/dragons.gif

TBA

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/NRL/titans.jpg

TBA

karnage
05-06-11, 03:19 PM
Should change the title of this thread to Titans v Shellharbour Sharks!!

Boofhead
05-06-11, 03:20 PM
Should change the title of this thread to Titans v Shellharbour Sharks!!

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2011/02/15/1226006/589506-john-cartwright.jpg

Boofhead
05-06-11, 03:46 PM
1. Zillman
2. Tonga
3. Toopi
4. Tomane
5. Mead
6. Prince
7. Campbell
8. Bailey (c)
9. Srama
10. Henderson
11. Laffranchi
12. Minichiello
13. Thompson

14. James
15. O'Dwyer
16. Tagataese
17. White

Rage
05-06-11, 04:06 PM
If we were to win only one game for the rest of the season, I'd place my bets on us winning this game. It's always the biggest games that no one ever gives us hope for that we always come away with a win. Not to mention the dragons will have like half their team out for origin, I think we'll win this by < 10 points

Coaster
05-06-11, 04:29 PM
I'm not convinced

TITAN PETE
05-06-11, 05:03 PM
If we don't beat the Dragons this week we never will, possibly 10 Dragons playing Origin & injuries ..I still don't think we are a chance .

Toads
05-06-11, 07:56 PM
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread this week, as I'm expecting many moments of hilarity. So far it's proving to be entertaining.. :D

shamus
05-06-11, 08:02 PM
If we don't beat the Dragons this week we never will, possibly 10 Dragons playing Origin & injuries ..I still don't think we are a chance .

2 certainty's this week....Manly and the Titans...I ain't giving up :thumbsup:

Mushi
05-06-11, 08:10 PM
Ok - this game last year was a turning point for us - we were in a losing slump (ok not as bad as this years :-() but we won in golden point time. Now this year, we face an understrength dragons and SO badly need a win!!!! Come on titans - this week is it!!!!!!!

SunnyCoastTitanFan
05-06-11, 08:42 PM
I have contrasting thoughts on how this game could turn out, I personally think we can win it by 1-12 points, but I don't want them going into the game thinking they have 2 points in the bag just because the dragons are understrength. I think if they could just eliminate the errors from their game they will go a long way to not only winning this game, but maybe even making the finals... Hopefully anyway :)

Supergoose
05-06-11, 10:31 PM
Finals are gone but this game is in reach. I like the look of the team posted above bit where is Steve Michaels? I also wouldn't mind seeing Capewell at 7 and Presto on the bench. I wonder if Carty is relieved to not have Harrison and Bird in the side dominating the wrong parts of the stat sheet? Hope Laffranchi is back. The one percenters are killing us.

patskE
05-06-11, 11:21 PM
GOING TO BE THERE. got the week off just so i can go n watch this game n the under 20's....
bring on the blue body paint!

Titanic
05-06-11, 11:54 PM
The only thing we've got in the bag is our playing gear without the instructions of how to use it.

Steelers
06-06-11, 12:29 AM
We're definately in danger of losing this game. As much as I want to see the Titans get a win, don't do it against us ;)

shamus
06-06-11, 07:20 AM
I don't want them going into the game thinking they have 2 points in the bag

Highly unlikely they will think that. On our current form we would be lucky to get the points from our Bye.. :p

SunnyCoastTitanFan
06-06-11, 09:02 AM
*Print*
Titans weigh Seagulls stars potential
Luke Turgeon **|**June 6th, 2011

Gold Coast Titans could do a lot worse than Seagulls' skipper Brad Davis. Pic: Brendan Radke
Pictures: GC Titans v Penrith (Sat Jun 4 2011)
THE Gold Coast Titans are weighing up whether to raid the ranks of undefeated feeder club Tweed Heads in a desperate attempt to break free of their downward spiral.

While the Titans hit rock-bottom with their fourth-straight loss against the Panthers at the weekend, the high-flying Seagulls created a new Queensland Cup record, dominating defending premiers Northern Pride to clock up 11 consecutive wins to start 2011.

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright yesterday hinted a selection shake-up was on the cards ahead of Friday night's clash with the St George Illawarrs Dragons at Kogarah, finally fed up with his highly paid players failing to fire this season.

Gold Coast Titans news and photo galleries
Have your say on the feedback form below
Titans fans also inundated goldcoast.com.au, venting their frustration with club's underperforming roster.

Commenter `Dazz' said: ``Here's an idea Carty, since Tonga was dropped for poor form how about relegating Prince to Queensland Cup for a few weeks?''

`Simone' said: ``Here's an idea how to turn it around Carty -- stop naming the same miserable team each week. Put some variation into the team.''

Dave Berryman of Merrimac said: ``How about the team's best player, Ryan James, gets put on the field for more than 20 minutes? Either that or start teaching the other blokes how to play the ball properly. Would be happy if Cartwright gave the entire Tweeds Head Seagulls team Titans jerseys, they would do much better.''

While Titans-contracted Seagulls Dom Peyroux, Will Matthews and Kayne Lawton are likely to be first under consideration, with fringe Titans Ben Ridge (shoulder) and Shannon Walker (hamstring) unavailable through injury, there are other Tweed stars arguably more deserving.

Experienced skipper Brad Davis has been typically sensational all season and would ease pressure on Scott Prince in the halves.

Tackling machine Ryan Simpkins and ball-playing forward Cody Nelson would not let anyone down in the back row for Harrison and Bird respectively.

The inclusion of battle-hardened centre James Wood would allow Bodene Thompson to move back to the pack, while hulking prop Brock Hunter would add more muscle up-front.

Seagulls coach Ben Anderson backed at least half a dozen of his players to make the successful transition if called upon.

"There are six or seven guys I wouldn't hesitate to put in there," Anderson said.

For more on this story and other Titans news, see today's Gold Coast Bulletin.
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2011/06/06/321351_gold-coast-titans.html

Nick
06-06-11, 09:37 AM
*Print*
Titans weigh Seagulls stars potential
Luke Turgeon **|**June 6th, 2011

Gold Coast Titans could do a lot worse than Seagulls' skipper Brad Davis. Pic: Brendan Radke
Pictures: GC Titans v Penrith (Sat Jun 4 2011)
THE Gold Coast Titans are weighing up whether to raid the ranks of undefeated feeder club Tweed Heads in a desperate attempt to break free of their downward spiral.

While the Titans hit rock-bottom with their fourth-straight loss against the Panthers at the weekend, the high-flying Seagulls created a new Queensland Cup record, dominating defending premiers Northern Pride to clock up 11 consecutive wins to start 2011.

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright yesterday hinted a selection shake-up was on the cards ahead of Friday night's clash with the St George Illawarrs Dragons at Kogarah, finally fed up with his highly paid players failing to fire this season.

Gold Coast Titans news and photo galleries
Have your say on the feedback form below
Titans fans also inundated goldcoast.com.au, venting their frustration with club's underperforming roster.

Commenter `Dazz' said: ``Here's an idea Carty, since Tonga was dropped for poor form how about relegating Prince to Queensland Cup for a few weeks?''

`Simone' said: ``Here's an idea how to turn it around Carty -- stop naming the same miserable team each week. Put some variation into the team.''

Dave Berryman of Merrimac said: ``How about the team's best player, Ryan James, gets put on the field for more than 20 minutes? Either that or start teaching the other blokes how to play the ball properly. Would be happy if Cartwright gave the entire Tweeds Head Seagulls team Titans jerseys, they would do much better.''

While Titans-contracted Seagulls Dom Peyroux, Will Matthews and Kayne Lawton are likely to be first under consideration, with fringe Titans Ben Ridge (shoulder) and Shannon Walker (hamstring) unavailable through injury, there are other Tweed stars arguably more deserving.

Experienced skipper Brad Davis has been typically sensational all season and would ease pressure on Scott Prince in the halves.

Tackling machine Ryan Simpkins and ball-playing forward Cody Nelson would not let anyone down in the back row for Harrison and Bird respectively.

The inclusion of battle-hardened centre James Wood would allow Bodene Thompson to move back to the pack, while hulking prop Brock Hunter would add more muscle up-front.

Seagulls coach Ben Anderson backed at least half a dozen of his players to make the successful transition if called upon.

"There are six or seven guys I wouldn't hesitate to put in there," Anderson said.

For more on this story and other Titans news, see today's Gold Coast Bulletin.
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2011/06/06/321351_gold-coast-titans.html

I like this story. Surely with the amount of media pressure Carty will shake the team up a bit.

GCTitans11
06-06-11, 10:59 AM
If we lose to understrength Dragons it will start to get a little embarrassing.

AmericanTitan
06-06-11, 12:20 PM
If we lose to understrength Dragons it will start to get a little embarrassing.

START to get a little embarrassing? We passed embarrassing a few weeks ago unfortunately.

Could be a nice starting point for a run IF the potential changes work.

Surfers6
06-06-11, 12:42 PM
This is a team that can win.

1 Zillman
2 Tomane
3 Michaels
4 Peyroux
5 Mead
6 Prince
7 Capewell / Campbell
8 Bailey
9 Srama
10 James
11 Thompson
12 Tagataese
13 Simpkins / Ridge

14 Lawton
15 Ridge / Simpkins
16 Hunter / Lawrence
17 White / Mathews /Mini / Hederson

What do you think?

Titanic
06-06-11, 02:35 PM
The protected species like Mead, Mini and Henderson need a reality check ... Prince needs direction and Bailey needs to take responsibility (I know he puts in but is he playing a team role?).

1. Zillman
2. Tomane
3. Tonga
4. Toopi
5. Peyroux
6. Prince
7. Capewell
8. Bailey
9. Srama
10. James
11. Matthews
12. Laffranchi**
13. Thompson

14. Tagataese
15. Hunter*
16. Nelson*
17. Campbell

*In my desperation I name two blokes I know nothing about and another ** I don't know if he's fit while still claiming a huge pay check along with Friend :-(

Surfers6
06-06-11, 02:51 PM
The young Tweed players are guns and the majority of them came through our 20's system.

If we are close to gone in 2011, why not see what they can do!

TITAN PETE
06-06-11, 02:55 PM
The protected species like Mead, Mini and Henderson need a reality check ... Prince needs direction and Bailey needs to take responsibility (I know he puts in but is he playing a team role?).

1. Zillman
2. Tomane
3. Tonga
4. Toopi
5. Peyroux
6. Prince
7. Capewell
8. Bailey
9. Srama
10. James
11. Matthews
12. Laffranchi**
13. Thompson

14. Tagataese
15. Hunter*
16. Nelson*
17. Campbell

*In my desperation I name two blokes I know nothing about and another ** I don't know if he's fit while still claiming a huge pay check along with Friend :-(

Is this Will Mathews :laugh:

Titanic
06-06-11, 03:34 PM
yeah I know but anybody could take up space at the moment

titansrawesome
06-06-11, 03:38 PM
tweed are 11-0 thhey know what they are doing well i suppose, i wouldnt mind brad davis at 6 and capewell at 7

Surfers6
06-06-11, 04:21 PM
tweed are 11-0 thhey know what they are doing well i suppose, i wouldnt mind brad davis at 6 and capewell at 7

It would be a laugh if they were the halves named and Prince goes to Tweed and then they suffer their first loss in 12 games.....haha Prince. He has lost his mojo bigtime.........

titansrawesome
06-06-11, 04:23 PM
It would be a laugh if they were the halves named and Prince goes to Tweed and then they suffer their first loss in 12 games.....haha Prince. He has lost his mojo bigtime.........

i wouldnt be surprised if that did actually happen, its astonishing that a rugby player cant tackle after all these years and is considered a fantastic HB(last year and backwards) you learn to tackle right in under 10's

Titan_Blue
06-06-11, 04:32 PM
I wonder which outside back will cop the blame this week?

DIEHARD
06-06-11, 04:41 PM
We really need to smash the Dragons and with so many out for Origin it is the best chance ever. But we need to go in not thinking about the other team. Obviously the reason why we are losing is within. We haven't really been spanked this year, aside from the Storm. We have had our chances to put twos to the sword and win but it hasn't been coming off. We need to focus on the simple things, go up the middle, chill out and have some patience.

We win footy over 80mins guys don't stress about keeping the ball alive or forces flat passes. One of our trademarks is that we never gave up and we would come for you. We used to have great patience.

Come on boys, bring us home victory. Us fans are loyal and we won't give up. But we do miss seeing the blues in blue, gold and white bounce over the try line. And celebrate after the final siren.

Well done to John for standing down from Origin, I talked about it in the dedicated thread, but it was the right move but one that Carty would have done with the Titans being his priority but he is also a passionate NSW man so it would have hurt. But the Blues are in crisis as well and one man can't solve two crisis'.

DIEHARD
06-06-11, 04:44 PM
I'll be at the Titanium Bar watching if any other Titans fans wanna join us.

titansrawesome
06-06-11, 04:55 PM
i would hope carty is giving good consideration to using a lot of seagulls players and some ipswich players this week, i think bodene in the pack and kingi akauola in the centre is nice, davis and capwell halves, walker is unfortunately injured, tomane on michaels wing would be nice, mead at fullback and pereyoux other wing.

gotitans101
06-06-11, 06:06 PM

1. Zillman
2. Tomane
3. Tonga
4. Toopi
5. Peyroux
6. Prince
7. Capewell
8. Bailey
9. Srama
10. James
11. Matthews
12. Laffranchi**
13. Thompson

14. Tagataese
15. Hunter*
16. Nelson*
17. Campbell

I don't quite understand this logic. Throwing a player in there whose already proven this year that he is a liability in defense, for someone who proved last week that he has what it takes to be there. Did you not see how well Mead had Jennings covered last week (until Jennings went off injured)?

I am all for changes but this is one that I just can't agree with. Maybe I'm just being one eyed and haven't noticed whatever Mead has done to deserve to be dropped.

I totally agree that Mini & Henderson need a wake up call though.

patskE
06-06-11, 06:29 PM
ill start james for sure, and move thompson back to the backrow. mead hasnt done anything really in my eyes to get dropped.

sooooo excited for this game. BRING ON THE HILL

Titan Fanatic
06-06-11, 06:41 PM
I know there needs to be changed to the team but a poor time to change IMO. This game is a great chance for the boys to build some confidence against a weekened opponent. If the boys can hold onto the ball this will be a chance for our attack to attempt some much needed variation.

Titanic
06-06-11, 06:44 PM
I don't quite understand this logic.

I feel that Mead has not provided even a 40 minute game this year - sure, in flashes he's great but he is nowhere near being a strike weapon. His highlights clip of this year includes; how many missed tackles, not attempted tackles, dropped kicks, dropped passes and going missing? I would like to give Peyroux a shot.

Tomane played successfully at left wing for the Storm (and kicks goals) and that's where I'd play him. He wasn't a swap for Mead but for Michaels who is honest without being great and is just holding down a position for Gordon (and that's another debate too).

I realise that may not be a popular choice but it's mine :)

Titanmudgee
06-06-11, 07:01 PM
I recon the team this weekend will be:

1. Zillman
2. Michaels
3. Toopi
4. Tomane
5. Mead
6. Capewell
7. Prince
8. Bailey
9. Srama
10. James
11. Laffranchi
12. Minichello
13. Thompson

14. Campbell
15. Taga
16. White
17. Ridge

The one change that really worked for us was preston coming off the bench. I hope carty doesn't change something that works because let's be honest there isn't alot working for us.

The was we are currently playing we will be lucky to even get the points when we play the bye

Rage
06-06-11, 09:03 PM
Gonna be interesting to see if there really is a major player shakeup and who's gonna cop the blame for the recent losses

Smakked
06-06-11, 09:39 PM
you cant really single out individuals in titans games they all have played as bad as each other, they just need to play for each other and get the basics right. Major lineup changes will not help if anything make it worse, you cannot put new guys in that have not played with the team all year or even trained with them, it takes a good couple of weeks to learn set plays and the like. I am not expecting a win this weekend but i would like to see them hold the ball and just put in a good effort.

teke
07-06-11, 12:45 AM

1. Zillman
2. Tomane
3. Tonga
4. Toopi
5. Peyroux
6. Prince
7. Capewell
8. Bailey
9. Srama
10. James
11. Matthews
12. Laffranchi**
13. Thompson

14. Tagataese
15. Hunter*
16. Nelson*
17. Campbell

*In my desperation I name two blokes I know nothing about and another ** I don't know if he's fit while still claiming a huge pay check along with Friend :-(You arent serious with that lineup are you?

Tonga, Tomane and Toopi in the backline with Dom :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It is quite terrible

teke
07-06-11, 12:59 AM
I feel that Mead has not provided even a 40 minute game this year - sure, in flashes he's great but he is nowhere near being a strike weapon. His highlights clip of this year includes; how many missed tackles, not attempted tackles, dropped kicks, dropped passes and going missing? I would like to give Peyroux a shot.

Tomane played successfully at left wing for the Storm (and kicks goals) and that's where I'd play him. He wasn't a swap for Mead but for Michaels who is honest without being great and is just holding down a position for Gordon (and that's another debate too).

I realise that may not be a popular choice but it's mine :)Have you ever stopped to think why Mead and Michaels havnt provided a 40min game this year? It's plain obvious, which part of he never gets the ball dont you understand?

Dropping a player that is in the top 15 metre eaters in the comp who just happens doesnt get the ball is lunacy and I freely admit Im being bias but it's also fact. I hope he is dropped cause the next step is out the door.

Titan Fanatic
07-06-11, 08:42 AM
This would be my team this week

1. Zillman
2. Micheals
3. Tonga
4. Mead
5. Tomane
6. Capewell
7. Prince
8. Bull
9. Srama
10. James
11. Bodene
12. Laffranchi
13. O'dwyer
14. White
15. Page
16. Mini
17. Preston

Ok here's why:
It seems like ereryone thinks mead isn't getting enough ball so move him into center and tomane to wing to ease defensive pressure. capewell to six as we dont have many other options. Bodene to 11 as I believe he has been wasted in center. O'dwyer to Lock as he has been in good form and harro and bird are out. Page given a go on the bench, see how he goes. Then presto can play either hooker or 6 depending on how srama and capewell are playing.

Surfers6
07-06-11, 09:02 AM
you cant really single out individuals in titans games they all have played as bad as each other, they just need to play for each other and get the basics right. Major lineup changes will not help if anything make it worse, you cannot put new guys in that have not played with the team all year or even trained with them, it takes a good couple of weeks to learn set plays and the like. I am not expecting a win this weekend but i would like to see them hold the ball and just put in a good effort.

Set Plays, haha. I am not sure I have seen one of those from the Titans this year. Maybe a bit of variety and spontanaity would work.

Titan Dad
07-06-11, 11:43 AM

TITAN PETE, I expect better from you. With the boys returning to basics and having a good look at themselves we will do allright this week. We as SUPPORTERS should never shy away from the fact that we support the Gold Coast Titans through and through, thick and thin. I for one are in this for the long haul, no matter how we are travelling.:salute:

TITAN PETE
07-06-11, 11:57 AM
TITAN PETE, I expect better from you. With the boys returning to basics and having a good look at themselves we will do allright this week. We as SUPPORTERS should never shy away from the fact that we support the Gold Coast Titans through and through, thick and thin. I for one are in this for the long haul, no matter how we are travelling.:salute:

Please don't ever question My Loyalty u don't know me well enough :fight: , i have watched every game that the 20's play no matter how bad they were playing & i will do the same with the top grade but if they continue to play as they have been they won't beat the Dragons & thats what i'm saying :mad:

doc
07-06-11, 12:31 PM
1.zillman
2. micheals
3. tonga
4. mead
5. tomane
6. campbell
7. prince
8. bailey
9. srama
10. Laffranchi
11. Tagataese
12. Thompson
13. Ridge

14. Minichello
15. James
16. White
17. O Dwyer

TitansFan2020
07-06-11, 12:34 PM
1.zillman
2. micheals
3. tonga
4. mead
5. tomane
6. campbell
7. prince
8. bailey
9. srama
10. Laffranchi
11. Tagataese
12. Thompson
13. Ridge

14. Minichello
15. James
16. White
17. O Dwyer

shocker ;)

AmericanTitan
07-06-11, 12:36 PM
I think you hit it on the head there doc. Very good team on paper.

Supergoose
07-06-11, 01:21 PM
Henderson was one of our better performer last week. He will be there for sure.

Boofhead
07-06-11, 01:34 PM
Henderson was one of our better performer last week. He will be there for sure.

Agree 100%

Bloke made 37 tackles (non missed), 2 offloads and 62 meters in 35 minutes.

Most importantly no errors or penalties!

Titan_Blue
07-06-11, 01:43 PM
Team named:

JETSTAR TITANS v DRAGONS
Friday, June 10 - 7.45pm, WIN Jubilee Stadium.
1 William Zillman
2 Steve Michaels
3 Clinton Toopi
4 Joseph Tomane
5 David Mead
6 Preston Campbell
7 Scott Prince (c)
8 Luke Bailey
9 Matt Srama
10 Michael Henderson
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Luke O’Dwyer
INTERCHANGE
14 Matthew White
15 Ryan James
16 Bodene Thompson
17 Ben Ridge
18 Brenton Lawrence

Supergoose
07-06-11, 02:01 PM
good looking side. O'Dwyer deserves his start after playing fairly well in the last few matches. Looking forward to Tomane showing an improved performance after an indifferent last start. Good looking side, anyone shed info on Brenton Lawrence?

Boofhead
07-06-11, 02:02 PM
Good looking side, Lawrence would not look out of place over White.

teke
07-06-11, 02:12 PM
good looking side. O'Dwyer deserves his start after playing fairly well in the last few matches. Looking forward to Tomane showing an improved performance after an indifferent last start. Good looking side, anyone shed info on Brenton Lawrence?O'Dwyer has been doing alright, I just wish he was a touch bit quicker cause he has made a fair few half breaks that could have been line breaks if he was a bit quicker.

Get the ball to Tomane so the boys on the right can do their stuff. It's the stronger offensive side that needs to be utilized. Quick and early and they will kill the Dragons.

TITAN PETE
07-06-11, 02:43 PM
good looking side. O'Dwyer deserves his start after playing fairly well in the last few matches. Looking forward to Tomane showing an improved performance after an indifferent last start. Good looking side, anyone shed info on Brenton Lawrence?

He has been a stand out for Burleigh & is a player that will bend the line :fight: , many people have been saying within the Bears that he has to get a shot with the Titans & it looks like he is about to get it :fist: , could easily replace White :thumbsup:

lonegull
07-06-11, 02:52 PM
lawrence has been great for burleigh, he is a big lump of a unit and is a real metre eater, plus he has an offlaod to go with it, really deserves a shot in 1st grade

titansrawesome
07-06-11, 03:02 PM
hmm i would have left o dwyer out and put taga on bench and thompson at lock but pretty solid side

Rage
07-06-11, 03:47 PM
Looks to be a pretty strong side, heres hoping they can really bring it to the drags

TitansFan2020
07-06-11, 03:52 PM
thats a better side :) haha looking forward to seeing brenton get a go infirst grade if he isnt ommited, cross fingers :D

Titanic
07-06-11, 03:52 PM
Is Ridge injured? Also we look short of backs options but otherwise not too bad.

Smakked
07-06-11, 03:59 PM
Interesting side, Never hear dof lawrence but what i have read is all good, good to see Tomane back in hope he has a blinder, we all know he is capable of a big game.

Surfers6
07-06-11, 04:38 PM
Good Side.......

Can someone please make a couple of line breaks this week and maybe some try assists from Prince.
Prince please practice your attacking kicks as they currently stink.

Im hopeful...........:thumbsup:

DIEHARD
07-06-11, 04:42 PM
Minichiello to reach ton for Titans

Bullocking Jetstar Gold Coast Titans forward Mark Minichiello will play his landmark 100th match for the club in Friday night?s Round 14 clash with the St George Illawarra Dragons at WIN Jubilee Stadium.

Minichiello will become only the second player in Titans history to reach the 100 game milestone after Jetstar Titans Coach John Cartwright today named him in a new-look 18-man squad to take on the Dragons.

In team changes, backrower Anthony Laffranchi has been named to make his return from an ankle injury while the Titans will be without the services of State of Origin duo Ashley Harrison (QLD) and Greg Bird (NSW) this weekend.

Centre Joseph Tomane has been named to make his return to first grade in what will mark his second NRL appearance this season while former Canberra Raiders lower grade prop Brenton Lawrence has been named on an extended five-man interchange bench.

Lawrence, 26, is yet to make his NRL or club debut for the Titans but has been performing strongly in the Queensland Cup with feeder club Burleigh Bears since joining the club in the off-season.

The Titans? only prior visit to WIN Jubilee Stadium netted the club a thrilling 11-10 victory over the Dragons in July last year.

JETSTAR TITANS v DRAGONS

Friday, June 10 - 7.45pm, WIN Jubilee Stadium.
1 William Zillman
2 Steve Michaels
3 Clinton Toopi
4 Joseph Tomane
5 David Mead
6 Preston Campbell
7 Scott Prince (c)
8 Luke Bailey
9 Matt Srama
10 Michael Henderson
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Luke O?Dwyer

INTERCHANGE
14 Matthew White
15 Ryan James
16 Bodene Thompson
17 Ben Ridge
18 Brenton Lawrence

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

patskE
07-06-11, 05:33 PM
new look 18-man squad? hardly lol
bit dissapointed james isnt starting. n thompson is on the bench instead of mini

Titan_Blue
07-06-11, 06:20 PM
I'm glad Tomane has got a second chance, and this one will be a legitimate one where he feels comfortable, not rushed in at the last second.

Do people here think this means Carty wants to end the Thompson-in-the-centres experiment? I think it's time to can it, we have no strikepower out wide and really, his defense isn't even THAT good. But I suppose he could just be on the bench to give us some forward depth this week with Bird and Harro out...

I'm just relieved to see Laffranchi back!

Titan Fanatic
07-06-11, 06:32 PM
In the team announcement for round fourteen carty said that if tomane plays well and make the spot his own he could be there the rest of the year. Hopefully this means tomane will be given a genuine go at center and bodene will go back to second row.

Coaster
07-06-11, 07:55 PM
Legion Podcast is up for this round, listen to it or ill get all stabby next time i see you

Listen here (http://www.titanslegion.com/LegionTalk/TitansR14-2011.mp3)

COMMENT ON IT

doc
07-06-11, 08:51 PM
I'm glad Tomane has got a second chance, and this one will be a legitimate one where he feels comfortable, not rushed in at the last second.

Do people here think this means Carty wants to end the Thompson-in-the-centres experiment? I think it's time to can it, we have no strikepower out wide and really, his defense isn't even THAT good. But I suppose he could just be on the bench to give us some forward depth this week with Bird and Harro out...

I'm just relieved to see Laffranchi back!

I agree with what you said about thompson. Although he defends well at second row a couple of times this year he has looked unsure on what he should be doing. Hopefull but without him in the centres i doubt he will get much of a chance when harro and bird are back.

GoldCoastTitans100
07-06-11, 09:54 PM
new look 18-man squad? hardly lol
bit disappointed james isn't starting. n thompson is on the bench instead of mini

Does it matter if a player is on the bench ?
He will be substituted on and get the same amount of game time anyway.

Rage
07-06-11, 10:18 PM
By Steve Jancetic AAP Tue, Jun 07, 2011 - 6:43 PM

The ugly side of not having stand-alone weekends for State of Origin will show its face on Friday night with NRL premiers St George Illawarra forced to field a side barely recognisable to the one which won last year's title.

The Dragons will run out just six players who played in their breakthrough 2010 grand final triumph when they host Gold Coast at WIN Jubilee Oval on Friday night - their side ravaged by Origin commitments and injury.

So dire is their predicament that the Dragons have called Reece Simmonds out of retirement to play his first NRL game in almost four years, while two other players have been handed their first top grade game in the red and white.

Heading the list of those unavailable for selection are the Dragons' six Origin representatives Jamie Soward, Mark Gasnier, Darius Boyd, Beau Scott, Ben Creagh and Trent Merrin.

The situation is compounded by the absence of injured trio Matt Cooper, Brett Morris and Kyle Stanley.

Morris would have retained his place in the NSW for Origin II had he not injured his hamstring while Cooper knocked back an opportunity to come out of representative retirement to play for the Blues in the series opener.

"It's more a good opportunity for people like me waiting to get a chance," said rookie forward Jack Bosden, who will start alongside Michael Greenfield and Adam Cuthbertson in the backrow.

"When these weeks come up you just want to get out there and impress and not let the boys down most of all.

"Just do your job in the team and hopefully not let anyone in the team down."

Who can felt let down however are the fans, robbed of the chance to see the Dragons field anything close to their best side.

While the presence of a few key players and the magic of master coach Wayne Bennett will no doubt ensure the Dragons remain competitive against a side currently last on the ladder, the match loses plenty of appeal due to the absence of a throng on topline players.

The Dragons-Titans game is not the only one adversely affected by Origin call-ups, with the top-four battle between North Queensland and Manly also diminished in status with the Cowboys to be without gun duo Johnathan Thurston and Matt Scott.

The debate over stand-alone matches is two-fold - the bid to ease fears of player burnout while also maintaining the credibility of the club matches.

The most recent push has been for Monday night Origin games but that would not do anything to solve dilemmas like the one facing the Dragons this week.

"Who knows what we should do, it goes round and round and round," Manly coach Des Hasler said of when Origin should be played.

"I think there is a number of different scenarios, but as soon as they get themselves sorted the better."

With the Dragons unbeaten in their last ten matches, Bosden said the expectation to perform would not be lowered by the long list of unavailabilities.

This despite a centre combination featuring Matt Prior and debutant Alex McKinnon - both of whom normally play in the second row.

"We've still got a lot of quality players still within the team - players like Ben Hornby, Dean Young and Nathan Fien - they're all really experienced players," Bosden said.

"We're going out there hoping just to play good football and hopefully the result comes our way."

The lunacy of the situation facing the Dragons was highlighted by the goalkicking competition staged between Hornby and Fien at training on Tuesday.

Fien has never kicked for goal in his NRL career while Hornby has just seven goals in more than 230 NRL games, the Dragons without their first two options in Jamie Soward and Stanley.

DIEHARD
07-06-11, 10:41 PM
It isn't fair for clubs to carry such a burden. Not fair to the competition, fans, sponsor or players.

But I'm quite happy to see the Titans take advantage of it this Friday night.

I would love to be there...

AmericanTitan
08-06-11, 01:47 AM
It isn't fair for clubs to carry such a burden. Not fair to the competition, fans, sponsor or players.

But I'm quite happy to see the Titans take advantage of it this Friday night.

I would love to be there...

I completely agree. I tried to imagine the NFL having an all-star game midweek and the teams losing their players to that and then not playing in the regular games-there would be hell to pay. Of course I realize the history, tradition, and meaning of Origin games in rugby league, so its a completely different situation.

Here's to the Titans taking advantage of the opportunity and getting those two points.

I sure wish Ryan James was starting though...

Titan Dad
08-06-11, 01:19 PM
Please don't ever question My Loyalty u don't know me well enough :fight: , i have watched every game that the 20's play no matter how bad they were playing & i will do the same with the top grade but if they continue to play as they have been they won't beat the Dragons & thats what i'm saying :mad:

No-one questioned your loyalty CHAMP.:wave:

Titan Dad
08-06-11, 01:25 PM
JAMES should be given the start this week with more minutes in my view. LAWRENCE is a big unit who has been playing the house down in the Q,Cup and will go real good. Look forward to him making his debut for us.

Rage
08-06-11, 04:03 PM
NRL.com Wed, Jun 08, 2011 - 3:30 PM

Dragons v Titans
WIN Jubilee Stadium
Friday 7.45pm

Wholesale changes to the Origin-ravaged Dragons present the Titans with a golden opportunity to wipe the perpetual frown from their coach John Cartwright?s face and push off the lowest rung on the 2011 premiership ladder.

It will be left to a core group of regular first-graders, bench players and rookies to protect St George Illawarra?s record 10-match unbeaten streak, which went oh so close to being shattered by the enthusiastic Eels last week.

The Titans will be without key forwards Ashley Harrison and Greg Bird who will suit up for the Maroons and Blues respectively next Wednesday night.

As for the myriad Dragons changes? some of them sound like Wayne Bennett wrote a bunch of names and positions on pieces of paper, placed them in two hats and drew for luck. Except we know there?s canny thought behind Bennett?s selections. You ready for this? Deep breath and? go: Jason Nightingale moves to fullback for Darius Boyd, with 31-year-old Reece Simmonds set to play his first game for the Red V since 2006 on the right wing. (Simmonds has been knocking around in the Carlton League down in the Illawarra for the past few seasons.) In another major surprise, 19-year-old Toyota Cup back-rower Alex McKinnon will make his NRL debut partnering regular first grade lock Matt Prior in the centres. Nathan Fien shifts to the unfamiliar role of five-eighth to cover for Jamie Soward. Jack Bosden and Michael Greenfield slip into the second row for Ben Creagh and Beau Scott. Adam Cuthbertson shifts to lock. Jon Green, David Gower, Daniel Penese, Jake Marketo and Mitch Rein comprise the extended bench.

That?s seven regular first-graders? and a total of 33 first grade games in 2011 spread among the other 11 players, with McKinnon and Penese on debut while Simmonds and Marketo are playing first grade for the first time in 2011.

Meanwhile the Titans will be looking to arrest the bumbling ways that have seen them register just three wins all year and just one win from their past six games. They were miserable again against the Panthers at home last week, well in the fight before capitulating with 26 missed tackles in the second half.

This week Joseph Tomane is back in the centres, pushing Bodene Thompson to the bench. Preston Campbell shifts from the bench to five-eighth to cover for Greg Bird. Anthony Laffranchi is a welcome return in the second row after nine weeks out, with Luke O?Dwyer to start for Harrison at lock. Ben Ridge and Brenton Lawrence are the new players on the bench.

However, the Titans have won only one of their past seven away games.

Here?s an idea for a raffle: guess which Dragon will score the side?s 200th try at WIN Jubilee? They sit on 199?

Watch Out Dragons: With no Jamie Soward in the Dragons? line-up Scott Prince won?t get a better opportunity to break the shackles and bounce back to form. The Titans? success over the past few years has revolved around Prince?s deep kicking game. Last year he booted to open space a remarkable 61 per cent of the time; under pressure this year that?s dropped to a run-of-the-mill 49 per cent.

Prince also gets the chance to send some runners through the inexperienced Dragons? defensive line. Last year Prince finished the year ranked third for try assists, with 15. At this point in the comp he?s ranked 40th with just three. We can?t see him not adding to that tally in this game.

Former Dragon Luke Bailey will be fired up to show his old side he?s still got it. Not that he has to. Bailey has played the third-most minutes of all front-rowers in 2011, accruing the third-most metres (129) with a substantial 32 tackles a game. (Last time he played at Kogarah, in Round 20 last year, he made a career-high 56 tackles.)

Danger Sign: Scott Prince is averaging fewer than eight runs a game so far ? if he runs the ball to the line four times in the opening 25 minutes (and we think he will) you?ll know he?s switched on.

Watch Out Titans: Up against this inexperienced opposition errors and lack of concentration loom as the biggest problems for the visitors. If the Titans can limit their mistakes and build pressure they can steal this game. Currently they make 14.8 errors a game ? the worst in the comp ? so they need to focus.

Danger Sign: The Dragons? right edge will be significantly under-manned in defence. If the likes of Bailey, Minichiello and Laffranchi get the opportunity to charge hard and often at Fien and newcomer McKinnon, while testing out Simmonds, the Titans may garner easy points.

Plays To Watch: Jason Nightingale returning kicks with a mix of cunning and dash; Ben Hornby dummying and running near halfway; Dan Hunt and Michael Weyman taking control of the ruck; Adam Cuthbertson playing a more expansive attacking role with plenty of offloads; Preston Campbell scheming for holes at five-eighth; David Mead?s speed; Prince upping his involvement; Minichiello trying his luck from close range.

Where It Will Be Won: Desire and territory. It all boils down to who wants this one the most. On the one hand, the rag-tag Dragons have their pride on the line, looking to protect their unbeaten run. On the other the Titans have pride on the line too, looking to avoid what some might construe an embarrassing defeat given the calibre of the opposition, even despite the Titans? lowly rank on the ladder.

The depleted Dragons will have a real challenge matching the go-forward of the Titans. Even with their best side the Red V concede the fourth-most metres to oppositions (1380) while the Titans concede the fourth fewest (1267).

Then there is the huge territory the Dragons will miss off the boot of Jamie Soward, who has punted the ball more thant six kilometres to date, helping the Dragons to a healthy 1400-metre lead in kicking metres over the next most prolific kickers Parramatta.

The History: Played 9; Dragons 7, Titans 2. The Dragons have won six of the past eight games but the Titans have won two of the past three, including a thrilling golden-point victory at Kogarah last year. The Dragons beat the Titans 25-16 in Round 1.

Conclusion: The Titans have been awful all year ? but despite that they have still been well in the mix in most games. Here they come up against as unorganised a side as you could wish for, so they have a huge chance of taking the premiers down.

Of course, it wouldn?t be any surprise to see the Dragons take the two points. But on balance, we see their unbeaten run ending here. The Titans by eight.

Match Officials: Referees ? Tony Archer & Alan Shortall; Sideline Officials ? Steve Carrall & Luke Potter; Video Ref ? Steve Clark.

Televised: Channel Nine ? Live from 7.30pm (NSW & Qld); Fox Sports ? Delayed 10.30pm.

TitansFan2020
08-06-11, 04:19 PM
hallalujah

Mushi
08-06-11, 04:50 PM
come on Titans you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DIEHARD
08-06-11, 05:07 PM
Lawrence within reach of NRL debut

BURLEIGH Bears front-rower Brenton Lawrence is within reach of his NRL debut after being named on an extended bench for the Gold Coast Titans' clash against St George Illawarra on Friday night.

The 26-year-old has been named as 18th man as cover for Ben Ridge, who has a shoulder problem.

While coach John Cartwright said it was too early yet to make the call on Ridge's fitness, Lawrence deserved his call-up.

''He's been great for Burleigh, he's one of our fittest and strongest blokes in the club,'' Cartwright said.

''He's got there through hard work and what he's done back at Burleigh.''

Forward Mark Minichiello will play his 100th game on Friday, becoming the second Titan after injured hooker Nathan Friend to reach the milestone.

Back-rower Anthony Laffranchi returns from an ankle injury to boost the pack, while Luke O'Dwyer will start at lock with Ashley Harrison and Greg Bird on State of Origin duty.

Centre Joseph Tomane has been named in the centres for only his second NRL game this season.

Titans: 1 William Zillman, 2 Steve Michaels, 3 Clinton Toopi, 4 Joseph Tomane, 5 David Mead, 6 Preston Campbell, 7 Scott Prince (c), 8 Luke Bailey, 9 Matt Srama, 10 Michael Henderson, 11 Anthony Laffranchi, 12 Mark Minichiello, 13 Luke O'Dwyer. Interchange: 14 Matthew White, 15 Ryan James, 16 Bodene Thompson, 17 Ben Ridge, 18 Brenton Lawrence.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 01:03 AM
Fox Sports Adjudicator...

St George Illawarra v Gold Coast Titans, WIN Jubilee Oval, Friday 7.45pm (EST)

The Adjudicator says: "St George Illawarra let me down in a big way last Friday night against the Eels. Can I trust them just one week later? A quick browse over the Titans form guide leads me to believe that I can. Seriously, John Cartwright pulling himself out of NSW duty to further focus on his battlers is alike to a mother leaving a friend's birthday party because her son is kicking sand in another kid's eyes. I can't predict the Dragons will lose a second consecutive match - that happens about as frequently as The Adjudicator fails to make you laugh. It's a rare event. Can you guess which way I'm leaning? Hint: not north."

The Adjudicator's verdict: "Titans fan Johnny told us the "Titans will win, just because the Titans will win!". I have plenty of respect for a fan taking the mickey, but not much for the boys from the Coast. Dragons by 16."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/

Titanic
10-06-11, 01:09 AM
Man, I don't know why you read that tripe ... Lol I read it too but he really is a tosser. We'll win because the boys have pushed the odds out so far they'll all make squillion :-)

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 01:53 AM
Motivation I guess. I know. I shouldnt.

karnage
10-06-11, 10:06 AM
I love The Adjudicator. I reckon he is hilarious.

He said all year last year that we were boring but it didn't matter because we were winning. His criticism of our style of play this year is warranted IMO. We look old and slow and if we lose to Shellharbour tonight we will complete the wooden spoon cleansweep:
GIANTS - SEAGULLS - CHARGERS - TITANS (2011)

TIme to start winning...

titansrawesome
10-06-11, 11:17 AM
we win because the adjudicator says we wont

AmericanTitan
10-06-11, 11:19 AM
we win because the adjudicator says we wont

he's been picking against us most of the season and has been spot on unfortunately.

Not this week though, Titans are going to pull through.

Surfers6
10-06-11, 02:10 PM
It begins and ends with Prince tonight.
If he can control the game and improves his kicking game we will win.
If not........................GONE

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 07:31 PM
I cant remember the last time I was infront of a computer ready to watch a game. But I have a heater, TV, computer and pizza. Let's go Titans!

Hashtag for Twitter users #nrldragtit

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 07:31 PM
LOL Gus is embedded in the Dragons Army!

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 07:33 PM
Nice touch, we need more of that in Rugby League broadcasting.

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 07:44 PM
Always good to see us wearing our home/primary strip at away games from time to time.

titansrawesome
10-06-11, 07:54 PM
tomane great try where is that guy trashing tomane all the time? super_matt or something

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 07:55 PM
What an AMAZING try by Tomane, now that is what we know the talented man for! What aerial acrobatics!

Scotty misses conversion from out wide.

Titans up 4-0

Nick
10-06-11, 07:56 PM
What impressed me was Hendersons first hit up. That showed me the boys are ready to play.

Great try Tomane.

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 07:57 PM
Good to see Srama scrambling around in defence. Reminds me of someone...

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 08:04 PM
Well Tomane tapping that forward gave em another set of six and Michaels coming off the wing left it wide open.

Dragons fail to convert as well. 4-4

Live and learn let's push on.

titansrawesome
10-06-11, 08:05 PM
ffs no one can defend on michaels side

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 08:07 PM
Dragons are in again. McKinnon. Michaels again caught out.

The Birdman
10-06-11, 08:07 PM
Conceded another quick try..... Heads up boys

Ryan
10-06-11, 08:10 PM
ffs no one can defend on michaels side

Someone get him a bucket ^^^^
It's about to start http://wdlovesme.19.forumer.com/images/smiles/wdlovesme/vomit-smiley-007.gif

Nick
10-06-11, 08:12 PM
Only 4 points in it. Easily within reach, they are playing for each other. The dragqueens are getting too many offloads away though. Henderson is really shaping up tonight. We are playing with speed again! Please keep it up boys!

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 08:12 PM
Presto looks like he is doing pretty good out there.

titansrawesome
10-06-11, 08:13 PM
tomane looks motivated and good tonight

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 08:13 PM
Good kick from Princey. Repeat set here we come!

titansrawesome
10-06-11, 08:15 PM
coach killer o dwyer mate

titansrawesome
10-06-11, 08:17 PM
tomane has lost some speed from last year

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 08:18 PM
Wow see Zillman! And that run from Tomane was awesome. Really boost the spirits of the team and fans.

And another good kick and we capture them in goal. Srama!!! Bloody hell mate! Matt is amazing.

Goal line drop out....

titansrawesome
10-06-11, 08:19 PM
Wow see Zillman! And that run from Tomane was awesome. Really boost the spirits of the team and fans.

And another good kick and we capture them in goal. Srama!!! Bloody hell mate! Matt is amazing.

Goal line drop out....

forward pass?

DIEHARD
OMG! That should have been a try from Presto inside ball... You have got to be kidding. Called forward!

The Birdman
Nice move there, typical of the refs riding us this year.

Nick
Wow how much is Bennett paying that touchie?? how was that forward?!?!
Nevertheless that was excellent build up play.

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 08:20 PM
Don't let it rattle you Titans, hold on, we will get another chance.

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 08:21 PM
Great try saving ankle tap.

titansrawesome
10-06-11, 08:22 PM
good damn toopi and michaels side is getting destroyed

The Birdman
Scott Prince (or was it Toopi) doing his usual turnstile impersonation.

If that wasn't a forward pass.......

titansrawesome
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo dragons in again

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 08:23 PM
No try! THERE IS A GOD! But still not fair. A no try for a no try doesnt make up for a no try for a legit try.

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 08:26 PM
Ryan James is on! He will make an instant impact.

The Birdman
10-06-11, 08:26 PM
We wait until the 31st minute to bring on our best player this year???

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 08:27 PM
God... that pass was fine, fine by a mile. This is killing us.

The Birdman
Don't worry about the Dragons, first people we have to beat is the refs.

titansrawesome
..forward?

DIEHARD
We wait until the 31st minute to bring on our best player this year???

He should be starting in my book!

Toads
10-06-11, 08:28 PM
who's running this show. The Ref or the bloody Touchie?

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 08:29 PM
Great take Tomane, even if it was right down his throat with no pressure.

Time to steady the ship. And dictate terms.

titansrawesome
the right side defense is very very average tonight, we are getting beat up

Nick
How good is Tomane's jump. This dragons team is playing twice as good as their first grade team in attack.

DIEHARD
Mini is having a good game so far.

titansrawesome
10-06-11, 08:30 PM
i have a question, is this dragons side just that good or we that bad?

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 08:30 PM
Yea Nick the Dragons are looking good in attack. But our defence helps that. I shouldn't be freaking out every time they spread the ball.

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 08:31 PM
i have a question, is this dragons side just that good or we that bad?

We aren't playing bad by any stretch of the imagination.

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 08:32 PM
Titans caught napping, not expecting the 2nd phase play.

Missed opportunity there.

DIEHARD
We need to look beyond the basics because we are missing opportunities across the park.

titansrawesome
We aren't playing bad by any stretch of the imagination.

we seem to be physically outmuscled and gus keeps saying we are rattled, prince please give it to the backs not mini

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 08:33 PM
How many different ways can Rabs pronouce Tomane? haha :laugh:

Nick
10-06-11, 08:35 PM
He is awkward looking, but gee Nightingale is bloody good.

titansrawesome
see that there from zillman even though it didnt work is type of the flair in attack we need, it nearly payed off to if he was 1 second faster

Toads
Definately a better half of footy out of the boys this week.

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 08:36 PM
OK not too bad, we are only 4 behind. Usually our first half puts us well behind.

Great kick by Zillman, hopefully he is developing into that other attacking option that we need to take the attention and pressure away from Prince.

Now hopefully we can take stock of the game and settle the troops and bring this one home. Because losing isn't an option!

The Birdman
10-06-11, 08:37 PM
We should be able to wear down this inexperienced side in the second half but I'm not taking anything for granted right now.

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 08:38 PM
Hopefully we get some luck with the refs. It'd be tragic to fail because of a couple of forward passes.

The Birdman
10-06-11, 08:38 PM
Anyone else think St George fans are the most one-eyed and parochial in the land? It is good for their team but some of the penalties the crowd appeal for are cringe-worthy. Anyone else agree?

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 08:40 PM
We should be able to wear down this inexperienced side in the second half but I'm not taking anything for granted right now.

Thats a point, two good ones infact. Let's hope it becomes a factor.

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 08:42 PM
Anyone else think St George fans are the most one-eyed and parochial in the land? It is good for their team but some of the penalties the crowd appeal for are cringe-worthy. Anyone else agree?

Totally mate. I want our home crowds to be a bit more like that. But I believe there is definitely such a thing as too much. It ruins the spectacle of the game sometimes. And I also think you need to choose your battles, if you do you win more penalties.

Crowd support is definitely a factor in Rugby League.

gotitans101
10-06-11, 08:43 PM
good damn toopi and michaels side is getting destroyed

That's what we get for getting rid of Tonga.

Some really bs calls in the game so far. Those two passes were not forward. I thought Nightingale's pass was more forward than any of ours.

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 08:48 PM
I'm like a starving man right now. I need those 2 Premiership points!

titansrawesome
10-06-11, 08:49 PM
That's what we get for getting rid of Tonga.

Some really bs calls in the game so far. Those two passes were not forward. I thought Nightingale's pass was more forward than any of ours.

yep i liked tonga better too

Titanic
10-06-11, 08:50 PM
Tomane for Michaels on the LEFT side ... that's where he plays his best. I must admit I hate that defensive formation ... when you're a smaller wing you need to defend outside your opponent or they can do you half a dozen ways.

Liked the first half but where we look better in attack we really look tentative in defence. Srama ... bloody ripper :-)

C'mon boys!!!!

SunnyCoastTitanFan
10-06-11, 08:51 PM
You would think that the most experienced ref would not make those two bad calls :(

The Birdman
10-06-11, 08:51 PM
I wish Tagataese was playing.

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 08:52 PM
Here we go... let's all hope for the best.

titansrawesome
10-06-11, 08:52 PM
I wish Tagataese was playing.

me too, i think michaels has had 2 crap weeks because of no tonga on his side

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 08:53 PM
Oh no... terrible play the ball. Dragons in possession 10m out. Michaels having a shocker.

Our defence is about to be tested early...

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 08:55 PM
Presure is off and karma strikes a touchie. Falling on his ass. And another penality for the Titans. Let's see what we come up with....

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 08:56 PM
Thank god for that offload, we were going to be put into the stands otherwise.

Rage
Prince with individual try!

Toads
Princy's lookin' good

SunnyCoastTitanFan
10-06-11, 08:57 PM
Yeh!!! Princey's still got it :)

titansrawesome
good try prince, prince and zillman grubbering for themselves is brilliant attack if you do it short but right which they did

DIEHARD
Welcome back Scott Prince!

What a try! That took vision, speed, swerve and handling. I couldnt have hoped for a more worthy try scorer.

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 08:59 PM
That is the sort of on field leadership we have been looking for from Scotty.

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 09:01 PM
Hell yea run Presto run! More electricity that the rest of the boys feed off..

Here come the Dragons fans begging for a penalty....

titansrawesome
10-06-11, 09:02 PM
try minichello

Rage
10-06-11, 09:02 PM
Mini gets a try on his 100th game! :banana:

Boonarga
10-06-11, 09:04 PM
Did everybody miss Mead doing a Taga on them about 5 before halftime? He had a 3 man overlap facing him and raced in to belt the ball carrier. Awesome!

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 09:04 PM
WOW! Just when it looked like the Dragons fans were gonna turn the screwed at a pivotal moment. The Dragons cough it up with a little help of Tomane and goes straight over.

About time some decisions went our way... when was the last time 2010?!

Scotty converts. 16-8

The Birdman
10-06-11, 09:05 PM
Just missed an opportunity to put the nail in the coffin...

Rage
10-06-11, 09:06 PM
I can't even remember the last time we've held a lead

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 09:06 PM
Strong running from Ryan James. And he helps get us a penalty. He needs to be in the run on.

Ah damn it, we blow a great chance with Zillman failing to grab a pass from preston.

Back into defence mode.

Titanic
10-06-11, 09:07 PM
If you put Srama in your fantasy team you won't have to change him for 10 years.

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 09:08 PM
I'm enjoying sharing the game with you guys. :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 09:08 PM
Oh well done Titans, good movement there and Srama and he has the foresight to worm back towards infield to avoid being pushed out.

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 09:09 PM
I have to applaud Luke Bailey for that effort! That is top shelf.

Rage
10-06-11, 09:09 PM
Mead's in!

I'm loving this!

titansrawesome
10-06-11, 09:10 PM
mead try tomane was unmarked too

TITAN PETE
Try time .... We now have a chance to bury the Premiers !!!

DIEHARD
Oh yes! We go wide and it's open and Davey Mead scores!

Titanic
thank heavens

SunnyCoastTitanFan
10-06-11, 09:11 PM
Wow!! I know we are playing weakened opposition but we are looking great :)

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 09:13 PM
Scott has had a good game so far, but need to work on his goal kicking. Then again we haven't had much in game practise!

Keep piling on the points Titans!

titansrawesome
10-06-11, 09:15 PM
we parted like the red sea then campbell even had the defense calling covered

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 09:15 PM
Here they come, it'll be soon a 6 point ball game. *gulp*

Titanic
10-06-11, 09:16 PM
Don't worry about Toopi or Michaels just add Presto to that mix of poor defence. Where was Mini who is missing from that lot?

shamus
10-06-11, 09:16 PM
we parted like the red see then campbell even had the defense calling covered

red sea........and 2 Titans went on their ****

titansrawesome
10-06-11, 09:17 PM
red sea........and 2 Titans went on their ****

i already edited that part

Rage
10-06-11, 09:20 PM
Srama scores!!

titansrawesome
10-06-11, 09:20 PM
brilliant by ridge, yes srama first try

Rage
10-06-11, 09:21 PM
Very deserving player, he's been great for us tonight

DIEHARD
Srama! Thats to make up for the other one where he was likely to scored, was knocked on by Dragons yet they got possession.

Great medicine for Srama. He will be getting a swag of my player of the match points.

Titanic
Matty "Pacman" Srama ... THE man

Toads
The boys are on it tonight. I'm lovin' this.. :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 09:23 PM
Starting to see our raw spine work.

Rage
10-06-11, 09:23 PM
As a side note, its great to see this forum being so positive again, feels like a completely different forum

Toads
10-06-11, 09:24 PM
Great save by Micheals

Toads
10-06-11, 09:25 PM
As a side note, its great to see this forum being so positive again, feels like a completely different forum
Well said, Rage. Hope it's a common trend for some time to come. :thumbsup:

titansrawesome
10-06-11, 09:25 PM
mead on sideline, looks to be a calf injury

titansrawesome
10-06-11, 09:27 PM
boooooo we are going for goal we have this game won why not another try

Rage
How'd he do it? I walked out of the room for a second so I must've missed it.

Really hope we can break 30 tonight, it's been ages since that's happened.

Toads
mead on sideline, looks to be a calf injury
It'll buff out.. I hope..:ugh:

Titanic
10-06-11, 09:28 PM
50+ come on

titansrawesome
10-06-11, 09:30 PM
what do you say titans forum members same team next week except harrison and bird coming back?

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 09:33 PM
Wow that was some dramatic stuff, glad we defused that Dragons assault.

Rage
10-06-11, 09:34 PM
what do you say titans forum members same team next week except harrison and bird coming back?

hahaha that would be the first time all season people actually want Carty not to change the team

titansrawesome
10-06-11, 09:34 PM
hornby and mead come off second best to end the game, ankle for hornby calf for mead

Toads
10-06-11, 09:35 PM
Well, that was a very welcomed refreshing change. The lads look like they've got their mojo back. :banana:

shamus
10-06-11, 09:36 PM

We were only 12 in front...funny things happen with only 5 minutes to go..

SunnyCoastTitanFan
10-06-11, 09:37 PM
Woooooooooooo!!!!!!!! It's so good to get the two competition points, but a little worried with some of our defence still but still over the moon :)

shamus
10-06-11, 09:39 PM
Great second half, albeit up against a second string Dragons side. Only conceded the 6 points in the second half and had the defenders held their feet may have even prevented that...:thumbsup:

titansrawesome
10-06-11, 09:40 PM
so should we keep the same team except for harrison and bird, i would omit toopi so we could put bodene back to centre to put bird back in the 2nd row, i dont know where to put someone to omit for harro though

Rage
10-06-11, 09:43 PM
Srama gets man of match

AmericanTitan
10-06-11, 09:43 PM
much better second half than first! Should create some momentum going forward hopefully!

Great game from Scotty Prince, almost looked a bit like his old self. Mini had a great game too.

Man of the match had to be Matty Srama though, what a stud that kid is!

TITAN PETE
10-06-11, 09:44 PM
so should we keep the same team except for harrison and bird, i would omit toopi so we could put bodene back to centre to put bird back in the 2nd row, i dont know where to put someone to omit for harro though

I thought Toopi was one of our best on field

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 09:44 PM
Wow Srama is a really good speaker. A great representative for our club. Not an easy role but he seems to have it naturally.

Man of the match in what his third NRL game?

Congratulations!

shamus
10-06-11, 09:48 PM
Wow Srama is a really good speaker. A great representative for our club. Not an easy role but he seems to have it naturally.

Man of the match in what his third NRL game?

Congratulations!

Yes.........He appears to be heading for LEGION status!...oops. I meant legend status.:thumbsup:

It must be a hooker thing..
:D

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 09:48 PM
Any word on Meady?

GCTitans11
10-06-11, 09:49 PM
Matt Srama is my new favourite player what a talent!!! He has eased the pain of losing Nathan Friend...

Glad to win a game. Couldn't care less if it was second string side. A win is a win.

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 09:51 PM
Matty "Pacman" Srama ... THE man

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/pacman.gif

I can see the resemblance. :laugh:

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 09:53 PM
Much-needed win for Titans

GOLD Coast Titans scored a much-needed NRL win over an albeit depleted St George Illawarra Dragons side, 28-14 at Kogarah Oval tonight.

Dragons were missing 11 frontline players through either Origin duties or injury, but the game still had to be won, and the Titans came back from 8-4 down at halftime to be convincing winners in the end.

Matt Srama, heir-apparent to the injured Nathan Friend, scored his first try in the NRL in just his third game in the top tier, but it was a much-improved performance from the halves which drove the win.

Preston Campbell and Scott Prince played probably their best games in several weeks, if not the season.

"That keeps our hopes alive," said Campbell after the game.

"They were depleted that's for sure, but you put a Dragons jersey on them and they just keep coming at you.

"We had a bit more experience than them and we just had to trust our plan, our confidence and complete our sets and we did that."

Joseph Tomane kicked off the scoring with an athletic try in the extreme right corner early, but the Dragons hit back with two tries in even time thanks to some soft defence from the Titans.

After halftime the Gold Coast team capitalised on having the bulk of possession with tries coming to Prince, Mark Minchiello, David Mead and finally Srama.

Mead came off late in the game with what looked like an ankle injury.

Titans now play the Rabbitohs in Sydney on Friday night.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

AmericanTitan
10-06-11, 09:54 PM
Pacman, I love it!

The kid is going to be a superstar when its all said and done. Awesome job Matty!

Chaos
10-06-11, 09:54 PM
How bias were the natural comments of the commentators...Rabbits sometimes realised they were bias and tried to correct himself but was conflicting in his statements.

Those two passes were not forward and I'm glad the Titans went on with the win.
It's amassing how many times the Refs rule close calls against the side they don't rate.

titansrawesome
10-06-11, 09:55 PM
I thought Toopi was one of our best on field

well i dont know if it was toopis fault but michaels looked very uncomfortable in defense tonight

karnage
10-06-11, 09:57 PM
We saw the future tonight. Don't leave Ridge out of the accolades. He was strong. So long as Ridge, Srama, James, Thompson, Zillman continue to develop into their roles 2011 will not be a complete loss.

Zillman, Campbell, Thompson all playing in the correct position and all had their best games of the year.

I have to give a wrap to Hendo as well. I have been a vocal critic of his but he really ran the ball strongly tonight.

Stradbroke Day tomorrow and for once I'm doing the form with a smile on my face courtesy of the win. Let's hope the winners flow now that the boys have that elusive win we've needed for so long!!:thumbsup:

AmericanTitan
10-06-11, 09:58 PM
well i dont know if it was toopis fault but michaels looked very uncomfortable in defense tonight

I just think it wasn't Steve Michaels night. He was a tad off, everyone has a bad day.

karnage

Interesting comment from a fan of Rugby Union.:laugh:

Tamwelg
I love that winning feeling.

Srama is brilliant, for a 20yr old playing the role of an 80 min hooker, just unbelievable. He will play for QLD and Aust in the future, I have no doubt about that.

Great all round team performance. I just put up the Forum player of the year thread and was thinking of who to give my points to and I want to give at least a point to almost all of them.

Completion rate is what wins games. This has been said over and over and over again. We had our best completion rate of the year so far (84%) and look at the result, we win. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Tamwelg
10-06-11, 10:00 PM

Michaels had an off night, but has been one of our best in almost every other game this year.

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 10:02 PM
We saw the future tonight. Don't leave Ridge out of the accolades. He was strong. So long as Ridge, Srama, James, Thompson, Zillman continue to develop into their roles 2011 will not be a complete loss.

Zillman, Campbell, Thompson all playing in the correct position and all had their best games of the year.

I have to give a wrap to Hendo as well. I have been a vocal critic of his but he really ran the ball strongly tonight.

Stradbroke Day tomorrow and for once I'm doing the form with a smile on my face courtesy of the win. Let's hope the winners flow now that the boys have that elusive win we've needed for so long!!:thumbsup:

Well said karnage. :clap:

There is alot of amazing talent that again showed their wares tonight. Ridge was awesome, I really noticed alot to his game that I liked. Not just what he did but what he was prepared to do as well.

I think we just need to run with a Campbell/Prince halves combination. That is where I prefer them.

Zillman had a great game at #1 and probably reinforces that fullback is where he belongs.

How bias were the natural comments of the commentators...Rabbits sometimes realised they were bias and tried to correct himself but was conflicting in his statements.

Only thing worse was the irrelevant garbage they go on about. The Flintstones? Really Rabs? :doh:

Mushi
10-06-11, 10:03 PM
So nice to get the two points. Of course, our boys like to have us on the edge of our seats with a few soft trys to the dragons but we held strong and got a much needed win!!!! I think our 1,6,7 and 9 are looking the strongest all year - Presto took a lot of pressure off Princey being in the 6 and Matty Srama - wow - well deserved man of the match. Nice to see some "close" calls going towards us in the second half too - I was all set for that try to come up red!!! Oh and Karma to the touchie who fell on his backside - OMG that will teach him to call two completely legal passes forward!

Now to work on our defense for next week and I think some confidence from this win will take us a long way - bring on the bunnies for our first consecutive wins for the year!!!!

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 10:04 PM
Michaels had an off night, but has been one of our best in almost every other game this year.

He has been, I agree. He has been consistently good for us in 2011. So I can spare him the criticism for this game.

We still looked unstructured and unorganised at times. So hopefully we can see further improvement against South Sydney. We have to be a red hot chance against them.

titansrawesome
10-06-11, 10:04 PM

thats true, and i liked thompson better in the pack anyways, we are 4 oints out of the top 8 take note people

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 10:05 PM
We have a spine! Something we have missed all season. Let's stick with this combination for the rest of the season.

1 - Zillman
6 - Campnbell
7 - Prince
9 - Srama

titansrawesome
10-06-11, 10:05 PM
also what diid you guys think of tomane tonight, i thought he was pretty good, some ball would have been nice but he still played pretty good

AmericanTitan
10-06-11, 10:08 PM
one thing I was disappointed with was Laffranchi not doing a whole lot. Maybe they were just easing him into it coming off the injury, but he didn't do much.

but hey, its a small thing, a win is a win!

Tamwelg
10-06-11, 10:08 PM
also what diid you guys think of tomane tonight, i thought he was pretty good, some ball would have been nice but he still played pretty good

He was solid. I liked the way Carty swapped him and Mead around, both made mainly good decisions in defense and Tomane is good under the high ball.

Tamwelg
10-06-11, 10:09 PM
one thing I was disappointed with was Laffranchi not doing a whole lot. Maybe they were just easing him into it coming off the injury, but he didn't do much.

He didn't play anywhere near the minutes he usually plays.

karnage

I was interested to see that he split his time between Wing and Three-Quarter with Mead. He lessens the aerial threat to that side of the field as Mead was becoming mince meat courtesy of accurate kickers and larger wingers.

If Carty gives him a few weeks in a row the faith that he shows will be enough to improve him out of sight. He wasn't great, but hopefully he was good enough to hold his place again.

GIVE US A SMILE CARTY!!

Titan_Blue

He was only on for about half the match, his workrate was actually very high for the amount of time he was on.

shamus
10-06-11, 10:10 PM
He was solid. I liked the way Carty swapped him and Mead around, both made mainly good decisions in defense and Tomane is good under the high ball.

lol....I bet Tomane would rather have been playing centre when Prince threw that pass for Meads try :D

karnage
10-06-11, 10:11 PM

Laffranchi's a winner.:thumbsup:

DIEHARD
10-06-11, 10:11 PM
Speaking of bias, did anyone throughout the whole game really remember them mentioning that we have two rep players out as well? Ash and Bird.

Chaos
10-06-11, 10:13 PM
He has been, I agree. He has been consistently good for us in 2011. So I can spare him the criticism for this game.

We still looked unstructured and unorganised at times. So hopefully we can see further improvement against South Sydney. We have to be a red hot chance against them.

Michaels had a shocker in defense...no sympathy for him tonight.

We did look unstructured...as I was watching, I was wondering how many times the guys run their wide attacking plays at training.

Even though Dragons throw the ball wide early in the tackle, they all seem to know where it needs to end up and rarely make an error.

Mushi
10-06-11, 10:18 PM
Am loving the positive attitude on here tonight :-)

Diehard - no didn't hear them mention our origin stars and they said at the beginning of the game there was 9 dragons out and the media reports coming in about the win say 11 - just shows the competency of the media as usual :-) ha ha

AmericanTitan
10-06-11, 10:19 PM
He was only on for about half the match, his workrate was actually very high for the amount of time he was on.

I think he only touched the ball maybe twice or three times.
Only being on for a short time makes a big difference, but still would have liked to see him more involved.

Titan_Blue
10-06-11, 10:22 PM
I think he only touched the ball maybe twice or three times.
Only being on for a short time makes a big difference, but still would have liked to see him more involved.

He made 12 runs for 102 metres and 22 tackles in probably 45-50 minutes.

Mini made 13 runs for 112 metres and 24 tackles in 80 minutes.

I thought Laffranchi was getting through a good workload while he was on.

AmericanTitan
10-06-11, 10:24 PM
He made 12 runs for 102 metres and 22 tackles in probably 45-50 minutes.

Mini made 13 runs for 112 metres and 24 tackles in 80 minutes.

I thought Laffranchi was getting through a good workload while he was on.

really? Didn't seem like it to me. Impressive then. I take it all back! :)

Titan_Blue
10-06-11, 10:26 PM
really? Didn't seem like it to me. Impressive then. I take it all back! :)

Yeah, according to nrlstats.

I was a bit disappointed he didn't get more game time, but I guess that was because it was his first game back.

AmericanTitan
10-06-11, 10:27 PM
Yeah, according to nrlstats.

I was a bit disappointed he didn't get more game time, but I guess that was because it was his first game back.

yeah agreed. What do you think will happen with the rotation back there when Bird and Harro get back in with the team?

Titan_Blue
10-06-11, 10:29 PM
Personally, I'd like to see Mini come off the bench and inject some real impact. Not sure how it will go though.

GoldCoastTitans100
10-06-11, 10:30 PM
Prince steps up against a weak dragons team, lets see if he can play like that next week.
Overall a decent performance, only real change i would make is drop luke o'dwyer.

teke
10-06-11, 10:30 PM
That was an entertaining game.

Titans finally showed signs of being dangerous when moving the ball wide. The backline movement to the left improved out of sight but the movement to the right was still non existent.

This game satisfied me whole heartedly :D

Boofhead
10-06-11, 10:33 PM
Prince and Presto's kicking game and combinations were outstanding.

Great all round team performance, think everyone deserves a shout out really.

teke
10-06-11, 10:37 PM
I made a few dollars with the Titans winning 13-18 at $7.50.

A weekend to be jolly.

Not many teams from now til the end of season can say they beat the Dragons :p