PDA

View Full Version : Manu ponders Raiders lifeline

Super Cronk
11-01-06, 10:40 PM
Manu ponders Raiders lifeline

Source: Foxsports.com.au

ANOTHER controversial forward has been offered an NRL lifeline by the Canberra Raiders.

Sacked St George Illawarra back rower Willie Manu has stalled plans to leave for English club Castleford to contemplate an offer from the Raiders.

Canberra signed former Newcastle forward Dane Tilse following his axing from the Knights for his part in a booze-fuelled pre-season romp at Bathurst last year.

And the Raiders also signed former Cronulla prop Jason Williams who spent three months in jail on assault charges.

Canberra has now offered a second chance to Tongan international Manu, who was released by the Dragons at the end of a tumultuous 2005.

Manu, 25, was charged with assault causing actual bodily harm after he and two other men allegedly punched and kicked a nightclub owner in Wollongong in May.

He was released from the final year of his Dragons contract after he breached bail conditions and was arrested for driving an unregistered vehicle while disqualified in July.

He is due to appear in Wollongong Local Court on February 6 to face the assault charges.

Due to the pending court appearance, Manu is believed to be leaning towards remaining in Australia.

Manu had been trumpeted by newly-promoted Super League side Castleford as one of its prize 2006 signings along with ex-Sharks and Queensland Origin prop Danny Nutley.

But Manu's manager Wayne Beavis today said his client would sit down and compare the Raiders offer with the Castleford deal "some time soon" after meeting with the Canberra hierarchy this week.

Recent reports said the Castleford deal had already broken down due to Manu having problems receiving a work permit.

But Beavis said Castleford was still an option.

"In the last 24 hours I have got some numbers off Canberra and spoke to Willie this morning," Beavis said.

"Castleford is still on track. But he's got two offers now, it's as simple as that.

"He's got the work permit, he was going to Castleford, now he's got the Canberra offer.

"We've got to sit down and discuss it so he can make up his mind."

Canberra is believed to have offered Manu a contract with strict behaviour guidelines.

The Raiders pack needs bolstering after the off-season loss of Matt Adamson, Tyran Smith (both retired) and Ian Hindmarsh (Les Catalans).

Back rowers Kris Kahler and Alan Rothery are both recovering from shoulder surgery and will miss the start of the 2006 NRL season.

"I think we're a little light in that (backrow) area," Elliott said.

"We've certainly put a deal to (Manu) that he can consider.

"He's not going to retire on that deal but we'd love to give him an opportunity. We've provided an opportunity for him to get back into the NRL.

"He brings qualities that would be fantastic in this squad.

"There's not a great deal of flexibility in our deal ? it's a matter of him saying yes or no."

The Raiders returned to training this week in preparation for their first trial game against the New Zealand Warriors at Auckland on February 12.

---------

WTF are the raiders doing?

Not only is manu a thug who looks for trouble on and off field...he isnt even that good. I know they are short on players for the position ...but sheez.

Luke
11-01-06, 11:12 PM
the last time i heard of him when my sister was out and he was drunk dribbling on his shirt.

Research Station Drive
12-01-06, 10:43 PM
Manu's got a few personal problems off the field but he does have some raw talent.

He'd be a handy acquisition at a bargain-basement price, I'd look to pick him up if I were the Raiders - they could use the depth.

I'm mates with a bloke who's good friends with him. From what I've heard his biggest problem is motivation.

DeeGan
13-01-06, 09:01 AM
Manu's got a few personal problems off the field but he does have some raw talent.

He'd be a handy acquisition at a bargain-basement price, I'd look to pick him up if I were the Raiders - they could use the depth.

I'm mates with a bloke who's good friends with him. From what I've heard his biggest problem is motivation.

Good post :thumbsup:

At a 'bargain basement price' Willie Manu would be a decent pick up for the simple reason he does have that raw, natural talent that have recruitment officers drooling.

DeeGan