PDA

View Full Version : Communism at it's finest - Carbon Tax

Boofhead
30-05-11, 11:19 AM
'Out of touch' Cate Blanchett, Michael Caton tell us to pay up in row over carbon tax ad
Brenden Hills AAP | Sunday Herald Sun | May 29, 2011

The Climate Institute has defended its decision to use Hollywood actress Cate Blanchett in a TV ad to support a carbon price, saying the campaign is about people power.
At the launch of the ad today, institute chief executive John Connor said a "furious scare campaign" was taking place.

"We've got a range of Australians (in this ad). Everyone has a right to speak out," he told reporters in Sydney.

"There is a furious scare campaign going on so I'm not surprised by some of the personal attacks but what we're trying to do is focus on the policies and the issues and a range of Australians are behind this campaign.

"Michael Caton and Cate Blanchett have every right to stand up and say what they think and we're pleased for that."

Nine organisations, including Greenpeace, WWF and the Climate Change Institute, have launched the advertisements with Blanchett and fellow

The ads are aimed at convincing the average Australian that a carbon tax is a good idea, even if it is tipped to raise the cost of living.

But Blanchett's involvement has drawn criticism from some political groups. They say the actress, who is worth $53 million, has shown she is out of touch by spruiking the benefits of the tax that she can afford to pay, unlike many already hard-up Australians.

"It's nice to have a multi-millionaire who won't be impacted by it telling you how great it is," said Terri Kelleher, from The Australian Families Association.
"It's easy for her to advocate it - she's one of the people who can afford to pay it. There are people who have no comfort zone and no room to move."
Nationals Senator Barnaby Joyce also took the actor to task.

"Fifty-three million dollars gives you a whole heap of latitude to care about a lot of things," he said. "If you really care, how about you give some of your money to help people meet the increased costs they are about to face?

"I'm so proud of her as an Aussie actor ... but this is an area that's got nothing to do with acting.

"It's got a lot to do with whether people can afford the fundamentals of life."
But Mr Swan has defended her today, saying climate change will affect everyone.

"I admire people who speak their views and Cate Blanchett, along with many others, has a strong view that Australia needs to price carbon," he told reporters this morning.

"It's the responsible thing to do for citizens to speak up."

He said the Government had no involvement in the campaign.

"(The organisers) are entitled to spend money they raise in the way they see as enhancing the future of our country," Mr Swan said.

"They have just as much right to do that as mining companies have got to spend their shareholders' money on a campaign to pay less tax."

Blanchett's ad will be screened nationally from tonight.

Last night Caton defended the ads.

"I'm sure people will criticise me, but I thought long and hard and I really believe in this so I'm speaking up for it," Caton said.

"Occasionally you've got to put your head up and if someone kicks you in it, you've got to roll with the punches.

"I'm just wondering what will happen to my grandchildren. When the worst happens I won't be here.

"But in 2050 I suspect my grandchildren would be really disappointed in me if I didn't take a stand and try to do something to make a positive impact on their standard of living."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/money/money-matters/cate-blanchetts-tv-row-over-carbon-tax-ad/story-e6frfmd9-1226064810040#ixzz1NnJ4vBIy

Cowboy Titan
30-05-11, 11:55 AM
I really believe we do need to do more for the environment but it's totally pointless us punishing ourselves until the world's biggest polluters get on board.

We produce 1.35% of the world's pollution so if we hit the target which I believe is a 20% reduction in emissions, all we have done is reduced the global pollution by 0.27%. I read somewhere that our reduction will be wiped out in 9 days by China's ever increasing pollution.

It's already hard enough to pay our power bills without this extra pointless slug on it.

Steelers
30-05-11, 10:44 PM
I really believe we do need to do more for the environment but it's totally pointless us punishing ourselves until the world's biggest polluters get on board.

We produce 1.35% of the world's pollution so if we hit the target which I believe is a 20% reduction in emissions, all we have done is reduced the global pollution by 0.27%. I read somewhere that our reduction will be wiped out in 9 days by China's ever increasing pollution.

It's already hard enough to pay our power bills without this extra pointless slug on it.

Couldn't say it any better myself.