PDA

View Full Version : Steve's revival could land him Origin spot

TITAN PETE
23-05-11, 08:25 AM
Luke Turgeon | May 23rd, 2011

THREE years after he first burst on to the Origin radar, Titans winger Steve Michaels is back in the frame for a Queensland call-up this season.

Brisbane football operations chief Andrew Gee yesterday declared Michaels' career had come 'full circle', overcoming a serious knee injury and split from the Broncos to rediscover the form that first rocketed him into Maroon calculations in 2008.

The Titans will resume their premiership campaign against the Bulldogs on Friday night at Suncorp Stadium following a bye at the weekend.

Michaels' performances have been one of the few highlights for the Gold Coast in what has otherwise been a forgettable start to the season.

While Michaels will be watching Game One from the sidelines on Wednesday, Gee said it was not beyond the realm of possibility to think he could be sighted by the end of the series.

"He is getting back to the stage where he is on the verge of Origin again now," former Queensland hardman Gee, who was in camp with the Maroons on the Gold Coast, said.

"It is a very hard team to break into.

"But he has been playing consistently well over a fair period of time now.

"He has done the full circle.

"You see players with those bad knee injuries and it does take them some time to get back to their top level.

"It was a bit of a patience thing with Steve.

"To see him going so well now makes everyone pretty happy at our joint."

Michaels was on the cusp of making his Origin debut in 2008 before he injured his knee and underwent reconstructive surgery which ruled him out for the rest of the season.

Housemate and fellow Gold Coast product Darius Boyd got the nod and hasn't looked back.

But what followed for Michaels was quite the opposite.

After a lengthy rehabilitation he found himself on the outer with Broncos coach Ivan Henjak and wasting away in the Queensland Cup with Brisbane feeder club Wynnum Manly.

Considered a mentor by Michaels, it was Gee who urged the red-haired Mudgeeraba junior to find a new club mid-way through last season to re-ignite his career.

"Steve had been at our place since he was a schoolboy," Gee said.

"So when I saw him languishing at Wynnum and probably with no way out of there at the time, I sat down with him and thought that it was in his best interest to try and move to another club and get an opportunity there.

"No one likes to see a player like Steve Michaels sitting in the Q Cup.

"When I first talked to Steve about leaving I thought the Gold Coast would be the perfect place for him at that stage.

"He has developed back into a fine first grade player.

"He is a local junior down here as well so to see him come back and do well is tremendous."

DIEHARD
23-05-11, 08:27 AM
I think he is worthy of an Origin jersey but he would be behind Tonga, Inglis and Hodges. So it might be tough for him to get a run.

He has been a gun for the Titans ever since he moved down the Coast.

TITAN PETE
23-05-11, 10:16 AM
I think just being spoken of with "Possible" Origin selection is fantastic for the Redback junior to know he has beaten his demons of the past :clap:

AmericanTitan
23-05-11, 01:44 PM
if anyone deserves a look based on current form it has to be Steve Michaels. The guy has been on fire and as the article states, one of the few bright spots to start the season.

Good on him for at least getting a mention.

Steelers
23-05-11, 09:32 PM
Personally I think he is a better option than Yow Yeh

gotitans101
24-05-11, 01:06 AM
Unfortunately, as long as the beloved Yow Yeh is fit, I can't see Michaels given a shot. Sucks considering the current form he's in.

Toads
24-05-11, 08:34 AM
Tend to agree with the rest of the crew here. Michaels is showing some cracking form at the moment, though the chances of pulling on a Maroon jersey seems pretty slim. :(