PDA

View Full Version : Origin Game 1: Queensland vs New South Wales (2011)

DIEHARD
18-05-11, 06:34 PM
Origin Game 1:
Queensland vs New South Wales

hammer
18-05-11, 07:40 PM
Cannot wait to see this year's series win by Queensland...last year we missed all 3 games on television as we were in Broken Hill (South Australian TV) for Game 1, Devils Marbles for Game 2 and then Katherine for Game 3.
QUUUEEEEEEEENSLAAAAANDEEERRRRR!

AmericanTitan
19-05-11, 10:20 AM
this will be fun to watch. I think QLD is obviously the better side, but who knows.

Good luck Ash Harro and Greg Bird! Stay healthy!

Coaster
19-05-11, 07:40 PM
Bird in the press targeting Lockyer, idiot!
3/4 of the GC is in QLD and one of our main players is talking up smashing the QLD captain and legend in his last series.

Searle should be jamming a sock down his friggin throat

Chaos
19-05-11, 07:50 PM
Bird in the press targeting Lockyer, idiot!
3/4 of the GC is in QLD and one of our main players is talking up smashing the QLD captain and legend in his last series.

Searle should be jamming a sock down his friggin throat

Take your Titans hat off during Origin series...Origin is one of the best times of the year and I want to hear some of the boys talking it up...eeewww its so much fun!

Steelers
19-05-11, 08:06 PM
Bird talking up smashing Lockyer is what Origin is all about!

Coaster
19-05-11, 08:10 PM
There is 3 teams in QLD. 2 are supplying majority of players to QLD and the third is supplying the bloke talking bout smashing the QLD captain in his last series.

Way to get the people in the gates to Titans games. Yes it's Origin, but why Bird? I'll answer it's because he is a stinking blue, that has the IQ of a peanut. I hope QLD tear him in half

Nick
19-05-11, 08:21 PM
Go the blues.. Bird will bring out his real mongrel on wednesday, he always steps it up another gear for the blues. God i love origin, im so pumped for the game.

TITAN PETE
19-05-11, 08:28 PM
Origin is about Passion & Birdy has loads of it , get to the history books where u will find Beetson beating the crap out of his Parra teammate in Cronin in Origin 1 ...1980

That's why we love the game

titanstattman
20-05-11, 08:32 PM
Im with bird... i cant stand him playing in the QLD or the donkeys side..... Go get them birdy rip into them i wanna see blood...

DIEHARD
22-05-11, 07:33 AM
Queensland must focus on job at hand before thinking about life after Darren Lockyer, says Cam Smith
Cameron Smith

LIFE without Darren Lockyer is not something Queenslanders want to think about. It's the same inside Camp Maroon.

Lockyer has been Queensland's mainstay for more than a decade and to consider entering a series without his talent and leadership will be a major challenge to confront.

It goes without saying that we would love to win this series to give Darren the send-off he deserves.

But regardless of our success in recent times, winning an Origin series isn't easy.

You can't expect to use that sort of motivation to get you over the line.

There is a lot of hard work to be done before you can secure a victory and we all know that.

Origin is a game where you have to focus on your own preparation and doing your job well.

As much as we all want to win this series, the most important thing is our preparation. If we do that then the results generally look after themselves.

Mogg's advice: Hey rookie, just do your job Origin I: Qld ready for anything, says Hannant Life after Locky: King warns against Thurston switch .End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Over the years I have learnt plenty of things from Locky, both as a player and a leader.

I think the thing that stands out most is that when his team is struggling or on the back foot, he invariably comes up with a play that says "C'mon boys, follow me".

That might be jumping on a loose ball, or coming up with a big play, or being there to back up when someone makes a break.

He has shown that good leaders always put their hand up to help their team in tough situations.

His temperament is the other thing that has always impressed me. On the field, regardless of the situation, you never see Darren getting flustered too much.

He can get frustrated, but he never lets his emotions control his actions. He is very calm, no matter how tough you are doing it and in Origin that is so important.

Origin games ebb and flow and it is the team that gets through the tough times best that usually finishes in front at the end.

When Locky stays so calm, that mood washes over the rest of the team, particularly with the younger players who might be playing their first game or first series.

They are just trying to hang on and adapt to the pace and intensity and if they see their leader is in control, that is great for them.

With Locky retiring next year, there will be a job up for grabs and I don't mind admitting I'd love to be the next captain. You never assume anything, but who wouldn't love to lead this great team and great state?

It is something I have had a taste of in the past and it was a huge honour. With that in mind I'll be using this series just to watch a little more carefully what Locky does around camp.

While my own preparation and doing my job for the team is always the main focus, I'll be keeping an eye on what Darren does in meetings and things like that. He talks a lot more than he used to and he is driven to ensure we get the best out of everyone.

He is particularly good with the young guys, and if the opportunity arises next year for me, I will hopefully be able to draw on a lot of what I've learned from him.

But enough looking into the future. Our focus is all about Wednesday night.

The first game of the series is always massive with both teams eager to get their noses in front.

I'm often asked how we maintain our hunger after winning five straight series.

We are constantly striving to get the best out of ourselves. We are always trying to be the best team we can be. It is a formula that really has worked for us.

We look out for each other as well. What we have built over the last five years is almost like another club side. We come into camp and we are immediately comfortable.

There is a real consistency not just across the playing group but the staff as well. It is a mateship, a really strong bond. It is why have been able to maintain that drive to be better

http://www.couriermail.com.au/

DIEHARD
22-05-11, 07:35 AM
I am looking forward to seeing Queensland smash the Blues. I even have a brand new Maroons jersey to celebrate the occassion.

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 06:39 AM
I'm looking forward to tonight's game! Got to christen the new Maroons jersey! :)

If you are on twitter today, remember to help State of Origin trend by using the hashatg #Origin.

I think the Maroons will win strongly, but I never underestimate the Blues. I know that Origin can come down to a few tackles or one play.

I think Soward will go well but will probably end the night being scraped off of the boots of the Queensland forward pack.

Biff? Yea I think we will see a bit of that too.

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 07:34 AM
Origin experience

QLD - 19.3 games a player
NSW - 1.5 games a player

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 07:34 AM
This series will prove and disprove alot of things about Origin football. Not sure which those will be though.

AmericanTitan
25-05-11, 07:38 AM
Origin experience

QLD - 19.3 games a player
NSW - 1.5 games a player

wow stunning numbers there.

You're right, could spell out a lot of things about Origin.

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 08:10 AM
Just saw President Barack Obama on TV meeting the Queen and receiving a 41 gun salute.

He was wearing a MAROON tie, so the big man goes for QUEENSLAND!

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 09:16 AM
Titans set for Origin blow-up

GREG Bird is a hard-hitting rugby league bad boy with a reputation as one of the game's most intimidating enforcers.

Ashley Harrison is a workaholic cleanskin with a reputation born not out of fear but of respect.

Two Titans, both built for State of Origin, but polar opposites in every other sense.

Gold Coast brothers-in-arms Bird and Harrison will transform from Titans teammates to interstate enemies tonight at Suncorp Stadium, just one of the enthralling sub-plots that will unfold in front of nearly 50,000 diehard Queensland fans.

Harrison bleeds maroon. Born in 1981, the year after the first Origin, the now 30-year-old grew up in the suburbs of Brisbane's northside. He kicked the footy on the back oval of Wavell State High School, impersonating heroes like Wally Lewis and Bob Lindner.

Bird is carved from the toughest country stock in the Hunter Valley.

The 27-year-old Maitland boy played for the Pumpkin Pickers as a junior. The odd name for the club meant he often had to know how to fight. A town just outside of the much bigger city of Newcastle, Maitland battles the little-brother syndrome every day. Being an underdog is in Bird's nature.

Tonight, the two Titans line up in opposing camps and with vastly different expectations.

Harrison is part of a triumphant Queensland team chasing their sixth series title in a row. Bird is in a squad desperate to restore respect to the fading Blue jersey.

Students of Origin history will know how formative those young years can be in shaping the psyche of the modern player. A teenaged Harrison cheered the Maroons in the mid-90s when they lost more often than they won. It still burns. There will be no complacency.

There is nothing in Australian sport that compares with the theatre of State of Origin.

Ever since big Artie Beetson whacked Parramatta teammate Mick Cronin during the inaugural match back in 1980 to give birth to the notion "mate against mate, state against state", the concept has flourished.

It doesn't take too much imagination to see Bird hunting down Harrison and continuing the tradition tonight.

This week Bird declared his hate for Queensland and for 80 minutes at least, that includes Harrison.

"I think every Origin's personal," he said.

"They're going out to take what we think is rightfully ours.

"The way I've thought about it is over the years when NSW were so dominant, Queenslanders sort of developed this hatred for NSW because they were always on the losing side.

"I think a lot of New South Welshman have started to develop that over the last couple of years because we've been consistently in the losing side."

A hard-working no-nonsense back rower, Harrison is the kind of player every coach loves to have in his starting 13.

He knows Bird will come out all guns blazing but isn't fazed one bit.

"He is playing at State of Origin level and he has played for his country, so he obviously hasn't got too many weaknesses," he said.

"It is all about what you do on the night.

"Birdy is a real competitive type guy and I am sure he will be out there doing his best."

Just as Beetson and Cronin first showed state passion came before friendship, Harrison and Bird must put club loyalty aside.

But few know that after the inaugural Origin clash, Beetson and Cronin sat next to each other on the return plane trip to Sydney and didn't even mention the now infamous stoush.

And therein lies the beauty of Origin.

For whatever happens, Harrison and Bird will be back at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night, once again packing down in the back row for the Gold Coast when they take on the Bulldogs.

Differences will be forgotten but the hate will still be burning deep inside, ready to ignite when Origin 2 hits Sydney on June 15.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

AmericanTitan
25-05-11, 09:20 AM
awesome write up. Loved the last few lines:

"And therein lies the beauty of Origin.

For whatever happens, Harrison and Bird will be back at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night, once again packing down in the back row for the Gold Coast when they take on the Bulldogs."

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 10:25 AM
Hahaha http://www.facebook.com/QueenslandPolice have changed their colours to Maroon! Well done! :laugh:

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 11:28 AM
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/250946_10150257538393619_710583618_8759550_4047115 _n.jpg

Coaster says he has just authorised OperationWhipAss on NSW. :laugh:

Blazertaser
25-05-11, 11:47 AM
2 mates sat down while watching State of origin, one a QLDer and one NSWer. The QLDer said, i love it when QLD wins my dog jumps around and does all sorts of tricks its amazing, what does your dog do he asks, i dont know, says the NSWer, my dogs only 5 years old

Coaster
25-05-11, 11:58 AM
2 mates sat down while watching State of origin, one a QLDer and one NSWer. The QLDer said, i love it when QLD wins my dog jumps around and does all sorts of tricks its amazing, what does your dog do he asks, i dont know, says the NSWer, my dogs only 5 years old

good one Blaze ahaha

Ok Mal decides the NSW is rubbish, so he says "Right tonight i am off to the pub with the boys, and only Locky and Smith will play against them".

At half time Qld are in front 30-0 so locky says "Bugger this Smithy, im going to the pub with Mal and the boys".

After the game Smith walks into the bar, and Mal asks him the final score, Smith replies "We won 30-28".

Mal looks shocked, "WTF he says, how did you nearly lose a 30 point lead in one half?"

Smith replied "I dunno mate, i got sent off"

AmericanTitan
25-05-11, 12:02 PM
like I told Coaster on twitter, I admire the fact that you guys can flip that Origin switch and up your intensity for these matches.

Its an awesome sight to see from the outside. You guys are awesome.
It reminds me a lot of how I feel about my Nebraska Cornhuskers.

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 12:12 PM
I love that joke Coaster hahaha, sent off. Fantastic. I love the build up to Origin. But it'll be funnier when the Blose lose Game 1 and turn on each other.

Up the mighty Cornhuskers!

Coaster
25-05-11, 12:14 PM
Apparently Andrew Johns has been impersonating Thurston at training!! The current score is Johns 50- NSW 0

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 12:44 PM
Apparently Andrew Johns has been impersonating Thurston at training!! The current score is Johns 50- NSW 0

Haha you seriously kill me Coaster, keep them coming! :laugh:

Johns and Fitler were the only Blues players I really feared in recent history.

Coaster
25-05-11, 12:49 PM
I tweeted this to Blaze "I hate if my wife wears a NSW Jersey, its her way of saying "there will be no scoring tonight"

haha

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 12:54 PM
I tweeted this to Blaze "I hate if my wife wears a NSW Jersey, its her way of saying "there will be no scoring tonight"

haha

I would be so pissed off to be a Blues fan and read that. I'd be so fired up. :laugh:

I have tickets to Origin 3, thanks to a brother who is far too good for me. :thumbsup:

AmericanTitan
25-05-11, 12:57 PM

haha

lmao :laugh:

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 01:01 PM
To me Origin is all about what NSW did to us for generations stealing our players with their cash. Not just the ones that played against us, but the countless more who didn't because they played in NSW competitions were ineligible for QLD representation due to the residental rules.

But Queensland never gave up. The players always fought till the end and the crowds never gave up either. That is what makes Queensland so special.

Now that the terms are fairer (Not fair, still 3 v 11 clubs) we are kicking ass and taking names.

I will always maintain the rage! KILL THEM MAROONS!

GIVE THEM NOTHING! BUT TAKE FROM THEM EVERYTHING!

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 01:18 PM
I added a poll to this thread so choose your winner and by what margin.

I went Queensland 19+

Steve
25-05-11, 01:18 PM
Bird's one of those players who's mouth writes cheques his body can't cash, but I'm hoping tonight instead of knocking on or giving away game killing penalties he actually lives up to his own hype!

I'm looking forward to tonight's game. I'm a lot happier with the team picked than I have been in recent years.

Oh hey, I have a joke too.

Queensland - the Smart State.

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 01:30 PM
#Origin and #stateoforigin are trending on twitter! Go RL!

AmericanTitan
25-05-11, 01:34 PM
I added a poll to this thread so choose your winner and by what margin.

I went Queensland 19+

QLD 13-18 was my vote!

Great job to all RL fans for getting Origin trending also!

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 01:47 PM
Dean "Bulldog" Ritchie gives 10 reasons why the NSW Blues will shock the league world with victory in State of Origin I

Inspirational: Blues captain Paul Gallen's toughness and leadership will play a key role for NSW in Origin I. Source: The Daily Telegraph
DEAN ''Bulldog'' Ritchie is in enemy territory for tonight's big match and gives 10 clear reasons why the Blues will stun rugby league with victory.

1. Greg Bird. Will line up Darren Lockyer all match. Whack! Lockyer will be hit hard and late, if need be. He will loathe the sight of Bird by fulltime.

2. Arrogance. Queensland have become far too ****y and arrogant. They think they have a mortgage on passion and pride. Can someone please tell them they don't.

3. Greg Inglis and Justin Hodges. No side can lose two of the finest centres in the game and expect to retain firepower out wide.

4. Jamie Soward. Stands deep and has the best and longest kicking game in the competition. His kicking stats are the best of any player in the NRL by a country mile.

5. Paul Gallen. The most inspirational and toughest player in rugby league. You wouldn't want anyone else leading your state into battle.

6. Seven Dragons. The connection among these Saints will be vital. They will bring confidence and aura to a young Blues side.

7. Akuila The Killer. Uate is the most exciting prospect I have seen in years. A brilliant runner. He could become one of the greats.

8. Andrew Johns. Kind of handy having arguably the greatest player of all time in camp helping and tutoring your halves.

9. No Izzy. A rare talent, Queensland are kidding if they think life will go on unaffected by losing such a star player like Israel Folau.

10. Jharal Yow Yew. Came from nowhere to represent Australia but nothing beats the pressure of State of Origin.There will be nowhere for this kid to hide.

VERDICT: NSW by 2

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 01:47 PM
The thing I fear most is Andrew Johns' coaching and how determined he is.

Coaster
25-05-11, 01:51 PM
I fear nothing.

AmericanTitan
25-05-11, 01:52 PM
I fear nothing.

I believe that would fall under #2 in the above 10 reasons :p

Coaster
25-05-11, 01:54 PM

haha yep without a doubt.

Blazertaser
25-05-11, 02:23 PM
The state of Origin has been moved to the Adult Channel.

Apparently, 17 NSW assholes being hammered for 80 minutes is tooo explicit for Free to Air TV.

Blazertaser
25-05-11, 02:26 PM
How many NSW fans does it take to change a light bulb?

Seven - one to change it, five to moan about it and a Manager to say that if the ref had done his job in the first place the light bulb would never have gone out.

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 02:37 PM
The thing I fear most is Andrew Johns' coaching and how determined he is.

I fear nothing.

haha yep without a doubt.

:laugh: Hahaha love it. Go Queensland! I havent looked forward to an Origin so much in years, Origin is just so intense and special.

I feel we have proven ourselves not it's time to build a glorious dynasty.

And we got to send out the great Darren Lockyer a winner.

Rage
25-05-11, 04:50 PM
Haha getting pumped up for this, can't wait to see a BLUES VICTORY :D

TITAN PETE
25-05-11, 05:17 PM
Haha getting pumped up for this, can't wait to see a BLUES VICTORY :D

I 2nd that :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 05:20 PM
Just under three hours until the Maroons start to pull the wings off the Blose. Again.

Blazertaser
25-05-11, 05:25 PM
An armed robber walks into a bank and demands all the money from the safe, the cashier rips his balaclava off and says "What are you going to do now I've seen your face?"

The robber shoots him dead and says "Did anyone else see my face?" Silence for a moment, then one fella pipes up and says "I think that NSW bastard in the corner got a glimpse".

Cowboy Titan
25-05-11, 05:39 PM
QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!!!!

Toads
25-05-11, 06:55 PM
Just under three hours until the Maroons start to pull the wings off the Blose. Again. :rolf:

QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!!!!
I second that notion.. :thumbsup:

AmericanTitan
25-05-11, 07:47 PM
good morning guys!

Good luck to both teams, this is going to be fun to watch.

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 07:54 PM
OK Im here ready to watch the Maroons kick ass.

As well as watch Anna Bligh do her best to squeeze any type of bounce out of Origin. Something I think the cynical public wont appreciate. Yes Anna, I still remember the custom made "WE ARE QUEENSLANDERS: polo you wore on the Footy Show just weeks after the floods. And Im a Labor man too.

Anyway FOOTY! Hopefully the Maroons explode out of the blocks and pile on the points and break the hearts and will of the Blues. Blues are only in it if they have a sniff in a struggle. It'd be a shame to let them score first.

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 07:55 PM
Eager to see if Coasters prediction of Soward being smashed into oblivion after 10mins rings true. He is a tough lil bugger.

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 07:58 PM
I just saw Soward in a Blues jersey, doesn't looks right. :ugh:

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 07:59 PM
Blues do have a decent backline though, I think Duggan will go well at Origin level.

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 08:01 PM
Greg Bird, for Origin I will return to hating this young man. Just cant summon the hate I used to previously though. I used to hate him so much, maybe like Blues hate Lewis or Tallis. Origin needs characters like Bird.

Smash him Ash.

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 08:03 PM
Feels great to wear the brand new Origin jersey.

AmericanTitan
25-05-11, 08:12 PM
my official picks:

Queensland by 13+
First try: Jahrel Yow Yeh
First punch thrown: Greg Bird or Paul Gallen

AmericanTitan
25-05-11, 08:31 PM
darn it, my Yow Yeh pick let me down!

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 08:51 PM
Come on QLD, get the points on the board before we start getting carried away.

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 09:21 PM
Amazing kick from Cronk for Yow Yeh! :banana: Effort for him to get there even better.

AmericanTitan
25-05-11, 09:40 PM
I know the numbers say you go for goal, but when Queensland decided to go for 2 instead of keeping the pressure on that could very well cost them the game.

Awful decision.

AmericanTitan
25-05-11, 09:50 PM
LOCKY TO BILLY THE KID! What a try!

GoldCoastTitans100
25-05-11, 10:02 PM
LOCKY TO BILLY THE KID! What a try!

That try was not that impressive tbh, NSW not locking up the ball in the tackle made it look better then what it was.

If your not going to lock up the ball you need to tackle around the legs.

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 10:05 PM
Woohoo! All the sweeter that we got the hopes up of the Blose then CRUSHED them!

Billy Slater and Lockyer thank you!

So they brought Soward in as a specialist line drop out kicker.

Should have gone for the TRY.

How about the punch on! Bird at ground zero, lucky Parker's punch didnt connect and likewise for Parket. Great game.

I LOVE STATE OF ORIGIN!

#Origin is also trending worldwide on twitter.

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 10:06 PM
That try was not that impressive tbh, NSW not locking up the ball in the tackle made it look better then what it was.

Hello wet blanket. It was an awesome try and set up. :thumbsup:

AmericanTitan
25-05-11, 10:08 PM

in the moment it was a hell of a try! Really a great game!

NSW defense was good, but too much pressure in the end.

Queensland's kicking game turned out to be the difference I think.

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 10:10 PM
Billy was everywhere tonight and once again he was there when we needed him, scoring the winning try. He is unbelievable.

Lockyer is a legend, but Slater, Smith and Thurston aren't far behind.

We talk about the 1980s but hell I rate this Maroons dynasty, THE BEST. And it has many years left.

TITAN PETE
25-05-11, 10:12 PM
Great Game ... Series On:fist:

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 10:20 PM
Great Game ... Series On:fist:

Blues will take heart and be stronger in Game 2. Hope to see a BIG crowd.

Greg Bird had a great game, as did Uate, Jennings and Gasnier (for Queensland.)

Tonga played well with injury and shut down Gasnier well.

Cam Smith got Man of the Match, he is an inspirational player who doesn't get the credit he deserves next to Lockyer and Thurston.

I loved hearing the QUEENSLANDER! chant at key moments in the game.

But let's win Game 2, I dont want to go into Game 3 1 all.

DIEHARD
25-05-11, 10:24 PM
Boyd was also superb. Well done for dominating Gasiner. :thumbsup:

TITAN PETE
25-05-11, 10:32 PM

Gaz got #Owned :laugh:

Chaos
25-05-11, 10:32 PM

Boyd's watched Soward and Gasnier train that move a thousand times...Why didn't Soward cut him out?

TITAN PETE
25-05-11, 10:34 PM
Both our boys played the full 80 so it will be interesting to see if they both back up

AmericanTitan
25-05-11, 10:34 PM
do you guys think Stuart will move Hayne or Idris into the side and take Gasnier out?

TITAN PETE
25-05-11, 10:37 PM
Boyd's watched Soward and Gasnier train that move a thousand times...Why didn't Soward cut him out?

Sowards best part of his game was his defense , Boyd knew everything that was going on , "Bennett Factor" ;)

thelwall
25-05-11, 10:37 PM
gas was pretty bad imo , bird played well

Chaos
25-05-11, 10:38 PM
I know the numbers say you go for goal, but when Queensland decided to go for 2 instead of keeping the pressure on that could very well cost them the game.

Awful decision.

In hindsight, you could say that because Thurston missed the kick...but I still agree with you.
We had our foot on their throat at that stage and could only make it 2 tries away for a draw with the kick..."simple maths" my ****...taking the tap and getting another try puts them out of the game...at the least we would have got another drop out and worn them down.

TITAN PETE
25-05-11, 10:40 PM
do you guys think Stuart will move Hayne or Idris into the side and take Gasnier out?

No way would Hayne or Idriss make the starting side when u consider how well Dugan & Jennings played ,Gaz is too good to be dropped but Hayne should come on the bench for Young & they just need to swap King with Douglas :thumbsup:

AmericanTitan
25-05-11, 10:45 PM
In hindsight, you could say that because Thurston missed the kick...but I still agree with you.
We had our foot on their throat at that stage and could only make it 2 tries away for a draw with the kick..."simple maths" my ****...taking the tap and getting another try puts them out of the game...at the least we would have got another drop out and worn them down.

yes, exactly. How many sets in a row before that had NSW defended? It had to be close to 5 or 6?

I don't think they could have held out much longer but the missed kick gave them momentum.

Chaos
25-05-11, 10:46 PM
The two biggest impact players in the NRL are both 18th man (Taylor and Idris)
Stuff NSW...lets get Taylor on the bench and drop Parker.

I thought we had Cronk on the bench as a utility...why did Mal use him as a forward taking hits up.

NSW dominated once our bench came on!

kwigibo
25-05-11, 10:49 PM
Pearce scored a try, won't be dropped, so there goes NSW's hope.

Chaos
25-05-11, 10:55 PM
Pearce scored a try, won't be dropped, so there goes NSW's hope.

Yeah...he didn't show much in attack and why was he kicking out of trouble?
Was Soward to nervous to kick or was Pearce over playing his hand or did Stuart stuff up?

Steelers
25-05-11, 11:35 PM
QLD were their dominant self in the first 20 minutes. The lacklustre performances of the NSW props helped somewhat but Petero and Scott got QLD moving forward. Can't really find any faults in the QLD performance though other than the fact that they looked tired when NSW were starting to surge. Mitchell Pearce scored due to Petero's poor tackling attempt on Bird and Jennings almost scored when a gap somehow just opened up in front of him. As much as I like Corey Parker, he is a waste on the bench. Bring in Taylor for the late game impact that we needed when NSW were starting to gain the upper hand.

NSW had some standouts and some disappointments. Josh Dugan played alright, but I feel that NSW needed the spark that Hayne has provided in the past. What was Brett Morris thinking when he gifted Yoh Yeh a try? Michael Jennings looked good but also made a couple of errors which killed any early momentum that NSW could have gained. The defence of Jamie Soward was not a problem. Only missed 2 tackles while his halves partner Pearce missed 6. Pearce seemed to do a little too much kicking. Jason King was woeful in the opening 20 minutes. He was absolutely smashed by the QLD forward pack. Ennis should have started. Greg Bird was one of the best on the field. NSW received an instant boost when Mannah first came on. They needed that sort of energy from the start of the game.

It will be interesting to see how Ricky Stuart reacts and what sort of team we come up against in 3 weeks.

Yeah...he didn't show much in attack and why was he kicking out of trouble?
Was Soward to nervous to kick or was Pearce over playing his hand or did Stuart stuff up?

I doubt nerves had anything to do with it. Either Ricky screwed up and felt that having Pearce as the main playmaker would confuse QLD or Pearce took it upon himself to do everything.

While having 7 Dragons players in the team is great for NSW's combinations, having Boyd in the QLD team nullifies alot of that advantage. Especially when Boyd is one of the vital players in alot of our plays. Boyd read those passes to Gasnier very early and Soward made a mistake when he tried it again.

Mushi
26-05-11, 06:59 AM
I thought it was a great game - love it when origin is competitive and fiery just like last night!!! Thought both Bird and Harro both played really well and am really looking forward to game 2 - I however, think it would be FANTASTIC to have a decider for game 3!!!!

DIEHARD
26-05-11, 08:05 AM
How good was Matt Scott? Reminds me of Webcke. Probably the best prop going around at the moment.

Duggan seemed at home at Origin level, nothing stunning but he did the job. He is such a lanky bloke he reminds me of Brett Mullins and Gary Belcher. Ironically both of which were famous Raiders fullbacks.

AmericanTitan
26-05-11, 08:27 AM
morning guys!

It sounds like some buzz is being made for the prime time replay of Origin 1 tonight on the Fox Soccer Channel here! Good news, because it was a hell of a game.

DIEHARD
26-05-11, 08:59 AM
I'd have Dallas Johnson in for Lillyman for Game 2.

Cowboy Titan
26-05-11, 04:47 PM
I know the stats don't tell the whole story but what about this:

http://live.nrlstats.com/matches/nrl/match7113.html

Matt Scott - 15 hitups, 154 metres
Petero - 16 hitups, 143 metres

Jason King - 4 hitups, 24 metres
Kade Snowden - 6 hitups, 46 metres
Trent Merrin - 5 hitups, 28 metres
Tim Mannah - 7 hitups, 46 metres

So Matt Scott made more metres than all 4 NSW front rowers combined and Petero was only 1 metre less than the 4 of them.

I agree with Diehard that Dallas Johnson should come in for Jacob Lillyman and I also think Taylor should be in there for Parker. I know Qld rarely drop anyone from a winning team but I think these changes will cover for the improvement that NSW will have in game 2.

Coaster
26-05-11, 05:07 PM
Great game!!!

I loved it, Matt Scott was awesome, that word is not good enough for him, he was simply brilliant.

And big Petro, they just killed it last night, we defiantly need another prop on the bench, when they came off we lost all go forward. I would have Shillo if fit, or Big Taylor. And drop Lillyman.

If either of our big guns Hodgo or inglis is fit, they slot straight back in also. Tonga showed pure grit playing injured the way he did.

really disturbed reading Birdies twitter this morning.

I made a comment about Bird earlier in the week, about his comments on Locky. I stick by them, i do not think our involvement with the NSW team helps our standing as a QLD club. Seeing Carty in the sheds, Bird making comments about Locky, and the color blue we chose for the titans strip, is an instant turn off for Qld fans. That said the comments sent to him by @cabonisgood were downright disgusting, and it makes me sick in the guts to think we have people in this country that can not define the difference between banter and threats.

Rage
26-05-11, 05:09 PM
What a great game, too bad the result was disappointing :( Loved to see how the Blues held out the Maroons from 6 repeat sets on our line. Unfortunately, it was Queensland's continual line dropouts compared to the 1(?) dropout the Blues conjured.

Still, it was close and only decided in the final 5 minutes so I'd be quite happy if the majority of the Blue's squad was selected again although I'm sure some improvements can be made

hammer
26-05-11, 05:23 PM
I know the stats don't tell the whole story but what about this:

http://live.nrlstats.com/matches/nrl/match7113.html

Matt Scott - 15 hitups, 154 metres
Petero - 16 hitups, 143 metres

Jason King - 4 hitups, 24 metres
Kade Snowden - 6 hitups, 46 metres
Trent Merrin - 5 hitups, 28 metres
Tim Mannah - 7 hitups, 46 metres

So Matt Scott made more metres than all 4 NSW front rowers combined and Petero was only 1 metre less than the 4 of them.

How much of those metres are attributed to the number of returns from the numerous dropouts QLD had?

titansrawesome
26-05-11, 05:57 PM
morris,king,mannah,young need to all go and lillyman needs to go for the qlders Go you maroons

Cowboy Titan
26-05-11, 08:14 PM
Qld State of Origin police car. I'm sure plenty of do gooders will say it's money wasted but I like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xSQeTVkWvo&feature=player_embedded

DIEHARD
27-05-11, 05:20 AM
Any money that improves Police/Community relations is money well spent. I love it.

lonegull
27-05-11, 07:51 AM
NSW broke an origin tradition why didnt they have the players names on the back of their jersey?

Ryan
27-05-11, 07:55 AM
NSW broke an origin tradition why didnt they have the players names on the back of their jersey?

Cause when people review the highlights of SOO when NSW lost 6 series in a row - they don't want that recognition. Neither would I. :?)

DIEHARD
27-05-11, 08:08 AM
Cause when people review the highlights of SOO when NSW lost 6 series in a row - they don't want that recognition. Neither would I. :?)

Hahaha that's funny.

It also means they can cut and change their team and the NSWRL can ask for the jersey back for reuse.

Titanic
29-05-11, 09:57 PM

No spellcheck?

shamus
30-05-11, 12:51 PM
Hahaha that's funny.

It also means they can cut and change their team and the NSWRL can ask for the jersey back for reuse.

No.......Not funny you mongrels....

P.S. Their names were on the front...Albeit in very small font.