PDA

View Full Version : Bird doesn't ruffle Lockyer feathers

TITAN PETE
18-05-11, 05:26 PM
Laine Clark AAP Wed, May 18, 2011 - 5:20 PM

At 35, Darren Lockyer admits he is no spring chicken.

But NSW hitman Greg Bird's threats ahead of next week's State of Origin opener have not ruffled his feathers.

Every game Lockyer says he runs out with a target on his head.

And while he may be nearing retirement, Lockyer did not expect any favours from NSW in his final Origin series.

No wonder Lockyer was hardly fazed after Bird wasted no time singling out the outgoing Maroons skipper ahead of May 25's opener.

"Even before Greg said anything I knew that was going to be the case," Lockyer said.

"That is how Birdy likes to play on the fringes and he is hard to contain - I am expecting plenty of traffic.

"Origin encounters are always physical. You pull up pretty sore by the 80th minute - I am not treating this any different."

Lockyer will equal Allan Langer's record for Origin games played when he runs out for No.34 in Brisbane next Wednesday.

Another year older and wiser, Lockyer said he would be ready for whatever NSW dished up.

"It is part of today's game - you run a lot of traffic at the halves, try to tire them out so they don't have as much in attack," Lockyer said.

"That's just a common gameplan for a lot of teams.

"Greg Bird runs the ball really strong on both edges. Myself and Johnno (halfback Johnathan Thurston) go into every Origin expecting traffic."

Bird also believed Queensland would find it harder to hide Lockyer in defence with debutant Dane Nielsen by his side.

If Lockyer was worried, he didn't show it on Wednesday.

"They will have a gameplan and I am sure they will want to carry that out best they can," he said.

"I am just going to prepare myself and the guys around me that we need to be ready to go on Wednesday because there is a very high chance we are going to have some traffic."

Lockyer seemed more concerned about NSW's attack rather than its defence on Wednesday.

"At any Origin you look at the opposition and some of their strengths," he said.

"The kicking game with (Michael) Ennis out of dummy half, (halfback Mitchell) Pearce and (Jamie) Soward are also very capable, and (rookie fullback Josh) Dugan brings the ball back very well.

"Then you have (winger) Akuila) Uate on the wing - they have powerful runners.

"We have to be good on the kick chase department and make sure they don't get too much momentum.

"If we are giving them any space bringing the ball back we are going to get hurt."

Queensland will be primed to send Lockyer out a winner as they vie for a record six straight series wins.

DIEHARD
18-05-11, 06:46 PM
Don't hurt him Bird we need him to win us the series and set new records or the Kangaroos at the end of the year!

Chaos
18-05-11, 07:59 PM
First I'll take my Titans hat off...

Bring it on Bird...don't forget, Locker's running on the field with maroon armor...Birds running on with a blue nappy.

Boofhead
23-05-11, 11:48 AM
Love the Origin banter!

Harrison backs Lockyer to blunt Bird
Wayne Heming | Sun, May 22, 2011 - 6:37 PM

Workaholic lock Ashley Harrison says Queensland skipper Darren Lockyer is prepared for another Greg Bird bashing in Wednesday night's State of Origin opener.

The Suncorp Stadium faithful are set to give Lockyer a massive reception when leads Queensland out in his 34th Origin, equalling former great Allan Langer's all-time Origin appearance record in the process.

But Bird, the powerful NSW utility with a reputation for bruising defence, will also be keen to give Lockyer a big welcome on the field in a bid to disrupt the Queensland veteran.

Harrison, playing in his 10th Origin for the Maroons, says Lockyer is unlikely to be fazed however considering the experience he has of 12 Origin series since 1998.

Of Bird's five Origins, three have been against Queensland teams featuring Lockyer, with the Maroons skipper emerging victorious in two of those occasions.

But the Gold Coast utility had a moral victory over Lockyer in game three of the 2007 series with a man-of-the-match performance in NSW's 18-4 win at Suncorp Stadium.

"I'm pretty sure that will be his role," said Harrison who celebrated his his 30th birthday in Maroon camp last Wednesday.

"Someone has to do it and he seems to be the one who puts his hand up most years to fill that role and I've got no doubt he'll be doing his best put Lockyer off his game again.

"But I'm sure Locky knows it's coming and will be ready for it."

It's often said Bird is "made for Origin" because of his toughness.

"You often see it written blokes are made for Origin footy," said Harrison, one the unsung heroes of Queensland's five straight series streak.

"I guess it's a combination of things, being able to play at that very high standard for 80 minutes. It's about the passion you show, toughness, it can be a number of things."

While Bird has built his reputation on intimidation and toughness, Harrison said his Titans teammate was a lot more than just a punishing defender and had the ability to bust open the Maroons with his size and strength..

"He does lots of things really well and he can be a massive threat us, he has been in the past," warned Harrison.

Queensland have declared their intention to carry out their own examination of Dragons rookie Jamie Soward and to also pressure young halfback Mitchell Pearce, who has played only three Origins.

But Harrison said Soward was an extremely difficult player to "get at" the way he played so deep.

Harrison, Nate Myles, Corey Parker and Sam Thaiday will be doing their best to rattle the Blues' 14th halves pairing in 19 Origins.

"Soward defends two in so he's a bit harder to get at and I think him and Pearce swap around a bit," said Harrison

AAP

AmericanTitan
23-05-11, 02:38 PM
I can not wait for this first match!!! Bird gunning for old Locky. Harro seems ready to go too. It's going to be great!