PDA

View Full Version : Titans pledge squeaky clean squad

Kingytek
09-01-06, 04:18 PM
Titans pledge squeaky clean squad

The managing director of the Gold Coast Titans says the club will be under intense community scrutiny when it joins the competition in 2007.

Michael Searle says a strict players' code of conduct is being designed with National Rugby League bosses to ensure players are accountable and are good role models to juniors and upcoming stars.

He says the team has been careful in the way it has selected players.

"Our recruitment policy has been based on, I suppose the social behaviour of the players in the past and also the type of player they are," he said.

"If you look at the guys we've signed, Preston Campbell, Luke Bailey, Brian Carney, all those lads are just settled in their life and they know what they want and there are a number of players that did come on the market that we didn't bid for."

Mr Searle's comments come after another damaging scandal for league, with Penrith's Craig Gower stripped of the club captaincy over his drunken misbehaviour at a charity golf event.
http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200601/s1544037.htm

This is showing everyone in the rugby league community that Titans are more then serious about there future ventures as they will be a force in 2007.
There buying the person before the player policy will show this.

Again, good work lads!

Super Cronk
09-01-06, 04:31 PM
Thats one thing that i have been in impressed with from the start, i cant remember the exact quote but it was something like "we are sigining the person before the player". Which really does create a feel of a tight nit community that is all about helping the game grow and bringing that community feel back into the game.

The Original Idiot
09-01-06, 06:56 PM
The bid team, Searlo in particular, know exactly what they have to do and how to do it. If you take the time to watch what others did right or wrong and learn the lessons, you will be successful. Not only have they signed great players, they have also signed great guys in general.

DeeGan
09-01-06, 11:06 PM
I would not single out one particular person as knowing 'exactly what to do' more than any other for the simple fact this was a team effort with individuals combining to put together the Gold Coast Titans package. Michael Searle has been the public face with Scott Sattler and John Cartwright though the rest of the crew are the best at what they do which all helped in securing the 16th license.

I think you could put the mortgage on the Titans not signing John Hopoate, Julian O'Neill or a Chris Walker :laugh:

DeeGan

Cliffy GC
10-01-06, 05:47 AM
I would not single out one particular person as knowing 'exactly what to do' more than any other for the simple fact this was a team effort with individuals combining to put together the Gold Coast Titans package. Michael Searle has been the public face with Scott Sattler and John Cartwright though the rest of the crew are the best at what they do which all helped in securing the 16th license.

I think you could put the mortgage on the Titans not signing John Hopoate, Julian O'Neill or a Chris Walker :laugh:

DeeGan
oi hoppa would be a great signing ;)

The most misunderstood man in league.

Talk about whiteline fever off a rugby league field you wouldnt find a nicer more gentleman than the big fella. Sadly all people want to believe is the way he plays the game and the few mistakes he made.

Queenslander
10-01-06, 10:32 AM
The Titans will have the most community friendly image in the NRL IMO. From the start the Titans have created a team for the people and not for the sponsers. And by selecting players that can help this image is a step forward in the right direction. :thumbsup:

DeeGan
10-01-06, 11:39 AM
Talk about whiteline fever off a rugby league field you wouldnt find a nicer more gentleman than the big fella. Sadly all people want to believe is the way he plays the game and the few mistakes he made.

Very true Cliffy, I have met Hoppa a couple of times and found him to be one that is not only humble but a gentlemen as well. Add to that a stout family and club man, he is a model footballer off the field.

On the field - well that's a whole other story ;)

DeeGan

Dakink
11-01-06, 11:31 AM
The perfect way to run a club that will be under as much scrutiny as the Titans...

There is no place IMO for players that regularly run riot. They know the responsibilities that come with being a pro player. Everyone makes mistakes and no one deserves to be crucified for one error - its the repeat of these errors that is a concern.

Research Station Drive
17-01-06, 09:43 PM
I only just came across this thread, and once again I'd like to applaud Titans Management. :clap:

Looks like they're setting up the right culture at the Titans. This culture should see us set for long-term success.

The bars of the Gold Coast would certainly provide ample opportunity for trouble making players to run wild.

Geez, imagine Craig Gower at schoolies!