PDA

View Full Version : Sandow says Eels move not all about money

TITAN PETE
04-05-11, 12:33 PM
By Ben Horne AAP Wed, May 04, 2011 - 12:15 PM

Star South Sydney halfback Chris Sandow insists his big money move to Parramatta from next NRL season isn't all about the cash, but says he needed to consider his young family's future.

The Rabbitohs took Sandow's decision badly, with the club beating the Eels to announce it by issuing a media statement on Wednesday expressing disappointment and making it clear they considered money the prime motivator.

Souths chief executive Shane Richardson said in the statement: "Unfortunately for us he has met his Alan Bond."

It was a reference to the famous quote attributed to the late Kerry Packer after he sold Channel Nine to Bond for $1 billion in 1987 then bought it back from him in 1990 for $700 million as Bond's business empire crumbled.

"You only get one Alan Bond in your lifetime, and I've had mine," Packer was quoted as saying at the time.

Souths owner Russell Crowe tweeted on Wednesday that Sandow was going to the Eels for an astronomical $550,000 a season - a figure Parramatta hasn't confirmed.

When asked about the figure in Crowe's tweet, 22-year-old Sandow was coy.

"I don't have twitter mate, it's too much technology for me, so I don't know what he's saying on there," he said.

Sandow asked reporters to explain the Bond reference before responding: "It's all good. My manager spoke to me about it, so it's all good."

Rabbitohs officials confirmed the Eels' offer was far too much for the club to match.

The dynamic No.7, who played his best game of the season last week in the Rabbitohs' thrashing of Cronulla, said there was more to his decision than just money, but he had to think of his young family.

"No it's not about the cash. I just want a new journey, new start for my life and hopefully I play good footy there, but I'm still a South Sydney Rabbitoh until the end of 2011," said Sandow after training at Redfern Oval on Wednesday.

"I've been at Souths so long now and I appreciate Souths for giving me the opportunity to play NRL.

"Heaps of people have been talking to me about not leaving Souths but I have to do what's best for me and my family and I have three little kids now so I have to look after them before me. In saying that I've still got to love myself before others."

Despite the backhanded statement from Richardson, Sandow said he had the full support of his team-mates when he informed them on Wednesday morning of his decision.

Sandow said he hadn't fallen out with Crowe over the move.

""He had a few words to me, he basically wanted me to stay but he said what's best for me.

"He's going to be upset but he's there on the side just to talk to me, giving me a hand. He said if I go ahead and go to Parramatta he'll still be my mate, but it's my choice."

TITAN PETE
04-05-11, 12:35 PM
If Sandow is getting $550k then JT,Cronk & even Prince are getting paid unders :surprise:

Coaster
04-05-11, 12:47 PM
If Sandow is getting $550k then JT,Cronk & even Prince are getting paid unders :surprise:

Everyone in the competition is.

Good luck to him, lots of pressure on him now to preform

Rage
04-05-11, 05:04 PM
Will be interesting to see how the pressure of being the marquee signing will affect his game

titansrawesome
04-05-11, 05:09 PM
now i can never like parramatta again, sandow is the biggest grub in the game thats why i thought he belonged at souths. but 550k? wow didnt he get the most missed tackles in a season record?

Chaos
04-05-11, 06:23 PM
Doesn't some good form increase your contract when it comes around.

I don't understand Souths getting annoyed...Of course he'll sign the best contract for himself...If Parra think he's worth more the Souths can offer then thats where he'll go.
They made a mistake by signing Sutton first...I wouldn't want to play with the worst 5/8 in the comp.

DIEHARD
04-05-11, 08:04 PM

I was staggered when I heard the price. He isn't worth that and you sum it up best mate. The big three halfbacks of or games are under valued on that. Thankfully Prince isn't off contract because Parra would have paid even more.

I think Souths are hard done by in a way as Souths had faith with him and stuck by him when other clubs may not have. But when there is 550k on the table, I dont think Souths would match it.

I doubt any Souths players is on that type of money except Inglis. And he isn't worth that much money, Souths would do themselves a disservice paying it.

Rage
04-05-11, 08:57 PM
Ben Horne AAP Wed, May 04, 2011 - 6:56 PM

Chris Sandow has run with the nickname "Aboriginal Alfie" since he broke into the NRL, but Parramatta hope their new signing can live up to comparisons with another former champion.

From the moment Peter Sterling hung up his boots in the early 90s, the Eels have been searching for another great halfback capable of breaking their 25-year premiership drought.

Even though South Sydney didn't allow Parramatta the pleasure of announcing it themselves, the Eels were delighted to have finally landed a big-name star after several failures on the open market.

Sandow's four-year commitment to the Eels from next year is the bright news fans have been longing for, after a less-than-impressive start to 2011 and more than two decades of emptiness.

Since the tiny 22-year-old from Cherbourg, north-west of Brisbane, made his first grade debut in 2008 he's shown glimpses of the huge potential that sparked similarities to Queensland great Allan Langer.

Although he's been heavily criticised for his inconsistency and flashiness, there's plenty of evidence to suggest Sandow could develop into one of the game's best.

He's already featured in Mal Meninga's emerging Maroons State of Origin squads and supercoach Wayne Bennett reportedly recommended Parramatta to pursue him.

Sandow single-handedly destroyed Cronulla last week, despite the weight of contract negotiations on his mind.

Osborne said his new man is ready to handle the pressure of being the new Sterling.

"He's been under enormous pressure, but his form's been magical," said Osborne.

"That's something we can be excited about.

"Pete Sterling was a once-in-a-lifetime halfback and I think anyone that dons the No.7 for the next 100 years will be compared to Sterlo.

"Chris is a great player."

The Eels have been unsuccessful in their pursuit of halfback stars in recent years - with Johnathan Thurston, Cooper Cronk and Wallabies flyhalf Quade Cooper among those to turn them down.

Securing Sandow is a giant relief for the club given the shortage of star playmakers in the modern game.

Sandow said his passion for the game will see him cope with the expectations that go with pulling on Sterling's No.7.

"I came here to South Sydney with heaps of pressure too," he said.

"All my family back in Cherbourg, they grew up the same way but did the wrong decisions in life ... I moved away and did something with my life.

"I love my rugby league, I'll never leave. It's in my heart."

When he first arrived in Sydney, Sandow admits he often got lost driving to Souths training and hopes a GPS is part of his lucrative Parramatta deal.

"I actually don't (know my way to Parramatta), but I'll find my way there," he said.

"I grew up in the mission in the bush ... 100 dollars is a lot of money for me ... I don't care about money."

DIEHARD
04-05-11, 10:35 PM
Oh lord, the Parramatta #7 curse. Good luck Chris!

Rage
04-05-11, 11:45 PM
I know right! Good luck indeed

Boofhead
05-05-11, 01:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxX-QOV9tI

AmericanTitan
05-05-11, 02:02 PM
ha

not all about the money...just mostly about the money!

I like watching Sandow play, good luck to him.

Chaos
05-05-11, 04:56 PM
I was staggered when I heard the price. He isn't worth that and you sum it up best mate. The big three halfbacks of or games are under valued on that. Thankfully Prince isn't off contract because Parra would have paid even more.

I think Souths are hard done by in a way as Souths had faith with him and stuck by him when other clubs may not have. But when there is 550k on the table, I dont think Souths would match it.

I doubt any Souths players is on that type of money except Inglis. And he isn't worth that much money, Souths would do themselves a disservice paying it.

I understand it looks like Sandow doesn't deserve that much, compared to other halves but Parra have been struggling in the halves for some time now and so they should pay more then other clubs to secure a good half back.
Thats their choice...Souths sacrifice him for other positions.

DIEHARD
05-05-11, 05:18 PM
What is the slogan for NRL 2011?

"It wasn't about the money!"

DIEHARD
14-11-11, 03:58 PM
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/383940_273958125978771_110919635615955_771290_1587 91498_n.jpg

This will take some getting used to!