PDA

View Full Version : JT saves Maroon selectors massive headache

Rage
27-04-11, 10:20 PM
Wayne Heming AAP Wed, Apr 27, 2011 - 7:48 PM

Johnathan Thurston's offer to take over legend Darren Lockyer's No.6 jumper has spared Queensland selectors a massive headache next year.

Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin will have to work some magic to replace the club's icon in 2012 when the Broncos come face to face with the reality of life after Lockyer.

But dual Dally M winner Thurston has provided Maroon selectors dreading Lockyer's retirement with a perfect short- or long-term solution by volunteering to move from halfback, where he's played all 18 Origins and five straight series wins, into the famous No.6 jumper.

The switch would open the Origin door for either Melbourne's Cooper Cronk or the Gold Coast's Scott Prince to play halfback.

"The No.6 jersey has been worn by the legends of our game, Locky and Wally (Lewis). It's a jersey I'd certainly love to wear long-term if that's the way the selectors want to go," Thurston told News Limited.

Queensland selectors have privately been dreading the day Lockyer hangs up his boots, which he could do as Origin's most capped player in July should he contest all three games.

"He can see there isn't a stand out five-eighth out there at the moment," former Queensland centre and current selector Gene Miles told AAP when asked about Thurston's offer.

"That's the nature of this team, they'll make sacrifices for each other to try and continue the run they've got going."

Thurston's North Queensland coach Neil Henry, who until recently was Mal Meninga's right hand man and Origin tactician, backed Thurston's decision to move into Lockyer's role.

"In the modern game there's very little difference to being a halfback or a five-eighth," Henry told AAP.

"Most times they play either on the right side or left side in attack.

"JT would handle what would be a nominal change quite comfortably."

Henry pointed out that Thurston had played most of his football at No.6 before coming to the Cowboys.

"He was recruited here as anumber six from the Canterbury Bulldogs where the reason he wasn't playing five-eighth was because Braith Anasta was established in that position before moving to the Roosters.

"The reason JT started playing as a halfback was because Darren Lockyer was five-eighth in Origin level and the best chance for him to play regularly for Queensland was at halfback.

"It was around the time that Joey (Andrew) Johns was finishing up as a No.7."

Rage
27-04-11, 10:21 PM
Even with Lockyer retiring I still don't like the chances of selectors picking Prince. I reckon they'll just snub him again and pick Cronk

Chaos
28-04-11, 12:07 AM
Good on Thurston for going for the 5/8 position...I always thought 5/8 suited him better and wanted him to partner Prince in the halves years ago. But there was too many good fullbacks coming through and Lockyer filled the void first.

You'd think it opens an opportunity for either Prince and Cronk...Three years ago I would have given the half back spot to Prince but since then he hasn't had another quality halve to work with or any backs in his coaching staff to grow.
Cronk is learning all the time and sadly Prince is dropping off the pace.

Rage
28-04-11, 08:37 PM
Laine Clark AAP Thu, Apr 28, 2011 - 7:30 PM

Another snub by Queensland selectors may be just what Gold Coast halfback Scott Prince needs to reignite his NRL season, according to Titans boss Michael Searle.

Prince was a big name casualty when the Maroons named a 25-man squad for May 25's opening Origin clash at Suncorp Stadium, with selectors opting for Cooper Cronk as Test No.7 Johnathan Thurston's deputy.

Another glaring omission was Cowboys fullback Matt Bowen after he was leapfrogged by Ben Barba.

Exciting Bulldogs fullback Barba is one of four rookies in the squad.

The others were Broncos flyer Jharal Yow Yeh, in-demand Sydney Roosters prop Martin Kennedy and Canberra winger Daniel Vidot.

At 31, Prince may be tempted to think his representative days are numbered, especially with the halfback battling for consistency in a Titans side (13th; 2-5 record) on the slide.

But Searle hoped the omission would work in Prince's favour.

"This is good motivation to prove some of the knockers wrong," he told AAP.

"It is up to him to grab the bull by the horns in the next three or four weeks and prove to the selectors that he is worthy of consideration."

Titans coach John Cartwright had warned this week their disappointing season start may come back to bite them on the representative front, with a May 6 trans-Tasman Test also on the horizon.

But Searle said: "JT (Thurston) got selected in the side last year and the Cowboys were running last so I don't think it really matters how your team is going.

"At the end of the day selectors will pick a team that is best for the job at hand and the only thing Scott can control is his form in the next month.

"And I can think of no greater motivation than being left out of a 25-man squad."

Bowen has been snubbed despite helping revive the Cowboys this season.

Coincidentally, selectors opted for Barba - a player who asked Bowen for fullback tips during the Indigenous All Stars camp.

Vidot and Yow Yeh will be vying for a wing spot left vacant by Israel Folau's AFL defection and Lote Tuqiri's broken arm.

Kennedy is in the squad after being the centre of a tug of war between NSW and Queensland earlier this season.

Broncos backrower Corey Parker makes the squad six years after he last represented Queensland and Warriors forward Jacob Lillyman is back in the mix three years after his last taste.

"These are the guys who are performing well at the moment and are in the picture," Queensland chairman of selectors Des Morris said.

"Obviously if we get a couple of injuries we might have to go outside the squad but as it stands now this is the group of players in the mix.

"By naming the squad today it provides an incentive for some of the players who have been on the fringe of Origin selection."

Queensland will be aiming for a sixth straight series win in captain Darren Lockyer's swansong year.

Rage
28-04-11, 08:38 PM
^ Just like Searley said, form doesn't count for much to selectors. While it's less apparent now since Prince isn't playing at his best, there were times when he was on fire such as 07/08 yet still couldn't get a run. Seems Cronk is the future after Locky's done

Coaster
28-04-11, 10:19 PM
Prince got snubbed for Hunt FFS. That was in form. There is a problem between the Titans and the QRL. I don't think even Harrison will get a run

kwigibo
28-04-11, 10:37 PM
What the has Lillyman done to be recalled?

Blazertaser
28-04-11, 10:39 PM
Prince got snubbed for Hunt FFS. That was in form. There is a problem between the Titans and the QRL. I don't think even Harrison will get a run

Honestly.... i think for some reason the NRL in general has some sort of problem with the Titans. Rarely get picked for representative teams, Most advertising campaigns have near to none of Titans highlights, No matter where we go even at home we are reffed against (That's just from how it has looked since we have been here).

For some reason, i just dont think the NRL likes the Gold Coast Titans. Your opinions on this?

Coaster
28-04-11, 10:42 PM
Honestly.... i think for some reason the NRL in general has some sort of problem with the Titans. Rarely get picked for representative teams, Most advertising campaigns have near to none of Titans highlights, No matter where we go even at home we are reffed against (That's just from how it has looked since we have been here).

For some reason, i just dont think the NRL likes the Gold Coast Titans. Your opinions on this?

I have to agree, if you compare what the afl do for the SunBurns to what the NRL do for us it makes me sick in the guts.

But in saying that, when we win it will make it that much sweeter.
I am not sure what a GF win feels like if you follow AFL, but to me the lions winning 3 straight and the swans looks like WWE with a ball

Steelers
29-04-11, 01:00 AM
The selection process for rep sides in a few Australian sports is often very similar to the selection process of junior district rep sides. Quite often the kids who have parents with connections will get the nod over their more skillful peers. In elite sport, the players with better relationships with the senior group will get the nod over their more skillful peers. Hunt got picked a few years ago because he played for the Broncos, who would have more influence than any other team when it comes to League in QLD.

DIEHARD
29-04-11, 11:16 AM
I agree Steelers, often the selection process for representative teams is a complete joke.

But I think Thurston moving to 6 and either Cronk or Prince into 7 will make the Maroons just as deadly as either, maybe more.