PDA

View Full Version : Joseph Tomane - 2011 Discussion Thread

Tamwelg
03-04-11, 01:15 PM
Joseph Tomane - 2011 Discussion Thread

General discussion on match performances, position, injuries, contracts, and anything else.

Super_Matt
16-05-11, 09:05 PM
Still don't believe me he's a liability?

Rushes up and tries to tackle the Manly bloke right in front of Zillman, creates an overlap, Manly score in the corner.

Gives up a stupid penalty trying to drag Robertson out, leads to Robertson's second try (don't get me started on him jogging to try beat Robertson to the ball for the grounding).

Runs across field and offloads to Mead 1m from the touchline, who promptly gets dragged out, turn over.

Gives up the most stupid of penalties trying to run over Matai to get back to marker, should have cost us a try.

Let Robertson jump in front of him and have a clean go at the ball, we were only lucky Robertson dropped it cold.

The talk that he should be signed for next season is absolute rubbish. He's just flat out not up to first grade standard defensively

teke
16-05-11, 09:09 PM
To sum it up, Prince was covering for him at times.

Poor guy had the commentators on his back and then they pan up to Carty giving him a spray. He doesnt deserve that imo.

titansrawesome
16-05-11, 09:10 PM
what a stupid thread, yes he made what 2 errors in defense on the night(he should be out on the wing anyways) he also pulled off some great tackles and was a bit of handful even with bad ball service. the only problem i had with joseph tonight was from the start of the match he looke hung over and unmotivated a motivated joseph plays 100x better. its better than thompson anyhow.

teke
16-05-11, 09:11 PM
what a stupid thread, yes he made what 2 errors in defense on the night(he should be out on the wing anyways) he also pulled off some great tackles and was a bit of handful even with bad ball service. the only problem i had with joseph tonight was from the start of the match he looke hung over and unmotivated a motivated joseph plays 100x better. its better than thompson anyhow.He is not better than Bodene in the centre

Super_Matt
16-05-11, 09:12 PM
What? Shouldn't be playing for a contract next season be motivation enough?

You're covering for him hard, he cost us the bloody match

Super_Matt
16-05-11, 09:12 PM
Enjoy QLD cup.... You ain't coming back to first grade

titansrawesome
16-05-11, 09:15 PM
What? Shouldn't be playing for a contract next season be motivation enough?

You're covering for him hard, he cost us the bloody match

if he cost us the match then carty would have taken him off straight away, and yes he is better than bodene at centre i have seen bodene this year been caught out more than a few times and tomane was just not feeling it tonight, you give him another 2 weeks and he'll come good, if he doesnt then cast him back, you guys act like he has been playing like prince this year.

Super_Matt
16-05-11, 09:16 PM
if he cost us the match then carty would have taken him off straight away, and yes he is better than bodene at centre i have seen bodene this year been caught out more than a few times and tomane was just not feeling it tonight, you give him another 2 weeks and he'll come good, if he doesnt then cast him back, you guys act like he has been playing like prince this year.

Can't afford for him to play like this again.

Basically, last season he had defensive issues. He was sent to QLD cup to fix those.

He's emerged again, and still has those issues. No way is he worth waiting "until he gets motivated"

titansrawesome
16-05-11, 09:21 PM
Can't afford for him to play like this again.

Basically, last season he had defensive issues. He was sent to QLD cup to fix those.

He's emerged again, and still has those issues. No way is he worth waiting "until he gets motivated"

ok look, last year he got like 7 tries in 10 games for us and he is leading scorer for the jets so obviously this was just a bad night and he can be shifted to the wing and the lapses in defense wont ever happen because that would be impossible then. if you are gonna criticise anyone it should be prince who has not played one good game all year and is a speed bump

CairnsTitan
16-05-11, 09:23 PM
meh, would like to see him there again next week

teke
16-05-11, 09:24 PM
ok look, last year he got like 7 tries in 10 games for us and he is leading scorer for the jets so obviously this was just a bad night and he can be shifted to the wing and the lapses in defense wont ever happen because that would be impossible then. if you are gonna criticise anyone it should be prince who has not played one good game all year and is a speed bumpScoring tries doesnt mean anything when there is other issues. Q Cup is a far cry from NRL. He is not a winger

Super_Matt
16-05-11, 09:26 PM
This isn't a Scott Prince issue, this is a Joseph Tomane Issue.

Your missing the point, he could score a hundred tries, fact of the matter is, he cost us DIRECTLY the match by that woeful defensive read, and giving up a stupid penalty, followed by not chasing the ball hard against Roberston in goal.

Should have been 3 tries if Robertson hadn't dropped it cold over the line

titansrawesome
16-05-11, 09:28 PM

Your missing the point, he could score a hundred tries, fact of the matter is, he cost us DIRECTLY the match by that woeful defensive read, and giving up a stupid penalty, followed by not chasing the ball hard against Roberston in goal.

well that touch line thing wasnt even a penalty in my book if we can get dragged out a few times and nothing happens, if he goes to the wing he doesnt have to make these decisions and he will be fine, all carty has to simply say is mark your man and noone else the whole night.

CairnsTitan
16-05-11, 09:30 PM

:laugh: He did not cost us the game. We lost the game because we cannot score a try, it was embarrassing watching us down the other end with no clue, Manly were laughing at us every time we spread the ball in there 20

teke
16-05-11, 09:31 PM
Definitely not a Scott Prince Issue.

The ball movement of the titans was simply childish. Instead of buying another player they should invest in a backs mentor like Matt Johns as an example.

Nick
16-05-11, 09:36 PM
Mate you cannot blame tomane for not stopping robertsons second try. He was on the ground after trying to help prince takle matai, who also ran straight over the top of mead, there is no way it was his fault. Otherwise he had a terrible second half and bodene gets the spot any day of the week. Although taga and chalky can hit well, they both offer very little go forward in attack, taga really needs to work on it. Brown made no massive mistakes but he is bland and doesnt offer anything more than some terrible passes.

teke
16-05-11, 09:40 PM
Mate you cannot blame tomane for not stopping robertsons second try. He was on the ground after trying to help prince takle matai, who also ran straight over the top of mead, there is no way it was his fault. Otherwise he had a terrible second half and bodene gets the spot any day of the week. Although taga and chalky can hit well, they both offer very little go forward in attack, taga really needs to work on it. Brown made no massive mistakes but he is bland and doesnt offer anything more than some terrible passes.Matai went straight through Joey in Robertsons 2nd try. He had issues tonight but to be dropped for it it will be terrible for the young fella. I feel for him cause every player knows how they played.

TitansFan2020
16-05-11, 09:43 PM
who remembers everyone wanting to drop mead after his first game cause he wasnt " a good overall player", stupid thread he is not nrl fitness so what we have a bye and matt your supposed be acknowledging players not putting them down, if you gonna do one thing put down riley brown not once did manly score when he was off, best players though easily tagatease, james and bird all had great games especially sam really impressed

Nick
16-05-11, 09:52 PM
Matai went straight through Joey in Robertsons 2nd try. He had issues tonight but to be dropped for it it will be terrible for the young fella. I feel for him cause every player knows how they played.

My bad, just watched the replay. Tomane just fell off matai and he was too far past mead do do anything.. Still once the ball was out of matai's hands, tomane had little chance of beating robertson to the ball. I hope he redeems himself though. He is a good player but he had a very off night.

Titanic
16-05-11, 11:47 PM
I'm for giving him another shot. Sure, he had some issues but he had plenty of better-credentialled mates.

We need Thompson for 80mins but from the backrow.

Super_Matt
17-05-11, 11:52 AM
I enjoy Tonga and Thompson in the centres. They're never going to score 100 tries, but you know that defensively they're up to scratch

Boofhead
17-05-11, 04:06 PM
The bloke had his first game with the squad... He will come good, his defense (especially one on ones) was solid!

He needed some better ball, kicks for him weren't in the right positions either.

Give him another run, Thompson back into the pack to bolster it.

GoldCoastTitans100
17-05-11, 04:49 PM
Well Tomane did not cost us the game.

Rage
17-05-11, 05:37 PM
I agree, give him another shot, this was his first game in first grade in like a year?

Super_Matt
17-05-11, 06:04 PM
Should have been even more reason for him to perform and step up.

IMO, he did cost us the game.

His stupid move to try tackle Hopoate right in front of Zillman lead to Robertson's first.

And then his stupid penalty dragging Robertson out lead to the second of Robertson's try

doc
25-05-11, 07:20 PM
he should be on the wing outside micheals nobody in the titans can match tomane in the air and somone his size running the ball back will be scary good

Titan Dad
26-05-11, 09:03 AM
Back UP Super MATT, Give the guy a go....As we all know coming from Q.Cup into the NRL against a well credentialled backline after a long abscence is not ideal. Have a bit of faith in the bloke he will come good. Our backline has not fired at all this year and when you are getting slow ball out wide this just compounds the problem of allowing the defence to adjust and negate anything we are throwing at them. He is strong and will come good, with some fast ball he will destroy backlines and with some support he will be even better...

Rage
26-05-11, 04:54 PM
Seems like mixed reaction to Tomane but it doesn't really matter how we feel because as long as Thomson's fit, he'll get the center spot

DIEHARD
27-05-11, 05:32 AM
Seems like mixed reaction to Tomane but it doesn't really matter how we feel because as long as Thomson's fit, he'll get the center spot

I agree mate, unfortunately one game back isn't a fair go for Tomane but Thompson has the edge for as centre spot right now.

Nick
29-05-11, 10:36 AM
Is Tomane injured? He hasnt played Qcup the last 2 weeks?

CairnsTitan
29-05-11, 01:42 PM
i just looked at nrl stats and it said tomane was on the wing for melbourne lol?

toyota cup that is

dee13
29-05-11, 03:34 PM
Didn't play this weekend due to illness. He was taken to hospital but is home again today.

Tamwelg
05-08-11, 09:35 AM
Tomane targets Brumbies' No13

BY CHRIS DUTTON, RUGBY UNION
05 Aug, 2011 04:00 AM

Joseph Tomane hopes getting an early release from his NRL contract will accelerate his bid to be the ACT Brumbies midfield wrecking ball next year.
And while Tomane arrived in Canberra yesterday, Brumbies coach Jake White will finalise his 30-man roster today when he announces his last four recruits.

Despite being six months out from the start of the season, White has already ramped up preparation for his first Super Rugby campaign.

In major news:

Leon Power, Zack Holmes, Tevita Kuridrani and speedster Tom Cox will be unveiled as the last four players on the full-time roster today;
Tomane was granted a release by NRL club the Gold Coast Titans to start training with the Brumbies and will play for the Uni-Norths Owls tomorrow, and;
Peter Kimlin will have an arthroscopy on his knee today and will be sidelined for at least six weeks.
Whites full-time squad is now complete, but he still has five wider training-group contracts available which are expected to be filled in the next three weeks.

Rugby league convert Tomane is banking on a stint with the Owls in Canberras premier rugby competition to boost his chances of winning the Brumbies No13 jersey.

Given Tomane has played just three games for the Titans this season, the Gold Coast released him from the final weeks of his contract to join the Brumbies.

He will waste no time trying to impress White when he suits up for the Owls against Easts at Griffith Oval tomorrow.

But after four years as a centre for the Titans and Melbourne Storm, Tomane admitted to being nervous before his rugby comeback in the John I Dent Cup.

"The game's changed a lot since I last played when I was 17, there are a few rules Im not familiar [with]," Tomane said.

"But I've got Jake White, Stephen Larkham and George Gregan - three of the best in the game so I'm confident they will get me where I need to be.

"I'm really excited, I just cant wait to rip in.

"It's going to be a challenge, but I think I'm up to it.

The soft-spoken 21-year-old will play with the Owls for the rest of the John I Dent Cup season.

He will join the Brumbies at their next off-season camp at Narrabeen from August 15 and hopes his early arrival in the capital will give him the head start he needs to make an impact in Super Rugby.

Tomane made the painful decision to request an early release from the Titans, who have five games remaining in their horror 2011 NRL campaign and sit last on the ladder. Tomanes comeback from a shoulder injury has limited him to three games this season.

He damaged nerves in his shoulder last year and said he struggled to regain confidence after his return to the field.

"My form hasnt been up to scratch this year, I've only got myself to blame," he said.

"The confidence wasnt there in the shoulder but it's feeling a lot better now, it's stronger and it shouldn't be a problem.

"It was a really tough decision leaving the Titans early, I felt bad leaving the boys and especially with the way our season is turning out.

"I kind of wish I had stayed up there, but at the end of the day, I've got to do what's best for me and I'm looking for a fresh start down here."

Tomane was a schoolboy rugby star and made the Australian team in 2007.

The Storm saw his potential and poached him before he could make an impact as a senior rugby player.

Now Tomane has his sights set on the vacant outside centre spot for the Brumbies and he wants to be a blockbusting No13.

"Hopefully I can bring a power game, we just have to wait and see how the coaching staff want to mould me and use me," he said.

"I'm not thinking too far ahead, Id like to cement a spot at 13. But first Ive got to get myself into the 22."

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/

Smakked
27-05-12, 09:12 PM
Tomane is going well ,just got picked for the Wallabies train on squad, good on him.

Titanic
27-05-12, 09:23 PM
Yep, would look great on right side.

Princey's Titanz
27-05-12, 10:07 PM
i was just about to post about Tomane. Tomane has certainly showed how talented he is by breaking into the Wallabies train on squad in the first year of his Union career. He was one of my fav Titan and i wish him the best for the future.

GoldCoastTitans100
03-06-12, 12:53 PM
Tomane is starting on the wing in Tuesdays game for the wallabies.

Good thing we got rid of him, he wasn't good enough :ugh:

Titanic Believer
03-06-12, 01:15 PM
He has said that his head wasn't in the right place and that he didn't deserve to be in the NRL. Maybe thats the Titans fault but more likely it's a young man maturing. At least he doesn't blame others for his situation and probably because of that he has got his head together and is beginning to show his real potential.

As for Shannon Walker, 7's is probably more suited to his exciting talents. The few games I saw him play he didnt seem to be solid in defence. Sevens is a game with space to move.

Princey's Titanz
03-06-12, 02:52 PM
As for Shannon Walker, 7's is probably more suited to his exciting talents. The few games I saw him play he didnt seem to be solid in defence. Sevens is a game with space to move.

So you think Barba should play 7's as well? Shannon Walker had enough talent to be in the NRL. We just didnt nurture him properly. That also goes for Tomane. I loved Tomane and he was one was my fav players. Carty didnt notify them about what to improve on. Communication wasnt there.

Tomane getting picked and dropped week after week would put his confidence down. Im really dissapointed that Tomane couldnt finish business here at the Titans but im happy that he is fulfilling his potential in Union.

GoldCoastTitans100
03-06-12, 03:06 PM
So you think Barba should play 7's as well? Shannon Walker had enough talent to be in the NRL. We just didnt nurture him properly. That also goes for Tomane. I loved Tomane and he was one was my fav players. Carty didnt notify them about what to improve on. Communication wasnt there.

Tomane getting picked and dropped week after week would put his confidence down. Im really dissapointed that Tomane couldnt finish business here at the Titans but im happy that he is fulfilling his potential in Union.

Completely agree.

shamus
03-06-12, 05:28 PM
Shannon Walker had enough talent to be in the NRL.

Nah....I watched him a fair bit and there is no more exciting player to watch when he has the ball but Geez.....he was not interested at all in tackling. That had nothing to do with how he was coached. He just showed no interest in tackling. Just my opinion. :D

Princey's Titanz
03-06-12, 06:10 PM
If hes not 'interested' in tackling then Carty has to tell Shannon that and then has to work on that part of the game with him. Its a matter of getting better. Seems like Carty couldnt achieve that.

Titanic
04-06-12, 12:03 AM
Have to admit it, Shannon Walker did nothing for me - he was a complete liability in defence and although it could be argued that he could have been coached around that, in his case I would have had serious misgivings. Anybody know what he's up to and how is he going?

Princey's Titanz
04-06-12, 08:10 AM
John Cartwright said after months of media
prodding: "I'm not going to talk him down any
more, because the fact is he could be
anything." Titans skipper Scott Prince wrote a column about his teammate in 2010, saying: "I have no doubt he has the potential to set the NRL alight, not unlike a younger Preston Campbell, Matty Bowen, Billy Slater or Jarryd Hayne."

m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/rugby-gold/former-gold-coast-titans-prodigy-shannon-walker-now-playing-sevens-rugby/story-fn8ouw0e-1226316910020

Julius Sezer
06-06-12, 09:09 PM
John Cartwright said after months of media
prodding: "I'm not going to talk him down any
more, because the fact is he could be
anything." Titans skipper Scott Prince wrote a column about his teammate in 2010, saying: "I have no doubt he has the potential to set the NRL alight, not unlike a younger Preston Campbell, Matty Bowen, Billy Slater or Jarryd Hayne."

m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/rugby-gold/former-gold-coast-titans-prodigy-shannon-walker-now-playing-sevens-rugby/story-fn8ouw0e-1226316910020

Im guessing you are talking about Shannon Walker? So Carty and Prince praised Walker highly and they still decided to release him? Walker would never have made the starting team because Zillman has signed a 5 year contract. It would basically have been a talent gone to waste.

Titanic
06-06-12, 10:42 PM
Back to my question about him, does anybody have an up-date on what he is doing or how he is going now?

DavidBouveng
06-06-12, 10:43 PM
i also think that carty and prince were assuming hed grow a pair and start tackling like most young skinny fullbacks do.

That should be the easy part so they just didnt factor it in.

Darren Lockyer was terrible tackler and very weak early on, and Barba comes to mind as someone who recently has turned a weak defensive mindset around and became a terrier.

Preston Campbell would have been a good source of inspiration, but walker just never seemed interested, now hes playing glorified touch footy, albiet he gets to travel a bit.

DavidBouveng
06-06-12, 10:44 PM
Back to my question about him, does anybody have an up-date on what he is doing or how he is going now?

hes globe trotting on the rugby sevens world junket...i mean tour.

Titanic
06-06-12, 10:47 PM
Cheers mate, does he feature or is he just making up numbers?

DavidBouveng
06-06-12, 11:12 PM
Cheers mate, does he feature or is he just making up numbers?

think hes one of the main guys now, been in the squad for last 2 seasons i think.

someone who knows more might chip in tomorrow with better info.

i reckon theyd have a beer after the game, laughing and giggling while they recall all the tackles they almost had to make.

Nick
07-06-12, 06:32 AM
I watch a fair bit of sevens and Shannon has been doing ok, he has only just overcome his hamstring problems and played in te final 3 or 4 tournaments. He won the tournaments best player award in the Japanese tournament and has been the turning point for the Aussies, helping them win their first in 2 years or so. He has scored some excellent long range tries and would be one of the quickest over 40m.. However, the last 2 tournaments he lost his starting spot and was used as a super sub (pretty pointless in a game with 5 min halves). IMO he was dropped to the bech because of his lack of commitment in defence and lack of urgency going for the ball.

So to sum up my tired slurr, he is still one of best ball runners you will see and he is perhaps back to his best now his hammys no longer hinder him... But he is one of the laziest, non commitment defenders you will ever see. He would get found out far too much in league whereas sevens suits that defencive type well.

Tomane on the other hand seems to be playing well, nothing special, he just scores tries when they are presented to him and occasionally joins in a game of force-em-backs with the other wingers/fullbacks. He has done nothing special IMO it more so highlights the lack of talent in the outside backs for Australian rugby union ATM.

patskE
27-07-12, 04:46 PM
Tomane named Rookie of the year. congrats! good to see him given a go!

http://www.brumbies.com.au/News/Article/tabid/1213/ArticleID/7246/Default.aspx