PDA

View Full Version : Matt Srama - 2011 Discussion Thread

Tamwelg
03-04-11, 12:11 PM
Matt Srama - 2011 Discussion Thread

General discussion on match performances, position, injuries, contracts, and anything else.

Titan Dad
07-04-11, 12:49 PM
Srama is a fine talent with an exceptional work rate not in different to Friendy. He comes from a good football family and plays the game tough. Should FRIENDY depart the Titans seasons end then this young fella with a little work could definately be a player of the future for the Titans.

Boofhead
08-04-11, 11:06 AM
No doubt we will be giving this kid some game time in the top grade.

Tamwelg
08-04-11, 11:49 AM
Srama is a fine talent with an exceptional work rate not in different to Friendy. He comes from a good football family and plays the game tough. Should FRIENDY depart the Titans seasons end then this young fella with a little work could definately be a player of the future for the Titans.

I agree 100%, it would however of been more ideal for Friendy to remain for another 2 - 3 years to see his career out and help drip feed Srama in rather then drop him straight in.

Titanic
10-04-11, 11:33 AM
I just don't get the obession with Riley Brown - Srama may be green but we wouldn't have lost anything by playing him in the top grade. He's getting choked in the Youth team.

Ryan
28-05-11, 08:52 AM
Great debut last night IMO.

Loved his service out of DH, very quick and gave our forwards some good momentum. Also kept the markers and center field busy with some darts and various running around. Busy hooker, changing things up and made his mark on the game. Decent meters, decent tackle count (only a few missed), line break, offload, try assist and 80mins.

I hope he gets every NRL game possible for the rest of the season to gain experience and develop consistency.

AmericanTitan
28-05-11, 10:25 AM
I hope he gets every NRL game possible for the rest of the season to gain experience and develop consistency.

I completely agree. The more games he notches on his belt the better he will be. You could tell at times he was unsure of where the ball was supposed to go, but even then he had a great game.

The more time he plays he'll exponentially improve.

Rage
28-05-11, 10:31 AM
Really liked what I saw from him last night, can see where all the hype's coming from. Now I'm hoping management doesn't shell out alot of money for a hooker like DeGois and instead spends it somewhere else, this guy's our future

Tamwelg
28-05-11, 10:57 AM
Great debut last night IMO.

Loved his service out of DH, very quick and gave our forwards some good momentum. Also kept the markers and center field busy with some darts and various running around. Busy hooker, changing things up and made his mark on the game. Decent meters, decent tackle count (only a few missed), line break, offload, try assist and 80mins.

I have just as big a rap on his game from last night as well. He also has a kicking game, which will no doubt come into play when he gets more first grade under his belt. Unless he picks up an injury he should day in the top grade from now on IMO.

timor 2
28-05-11, 11:28 AM
I totally agree guys, another friend in the making. I hope carty sticks with him.

Titanic
28-05-11, 12:03 PM
I'm sure he will ... one thing for sure; Carty is hardly a "cut & paste" selector.

Geeman
28-05-11, 04:24 PM
Fully agree!!! Fantastic debut, with no big errors to speak of. Might as well keep him in 1st grade now, he seemed to handle it just fine. :thumbsup:

lonegull
28-05-11, 05:47 PM
great debut and to play 80 minutes was outstanding, leave him there now gave good service and three times and quick as brown, you can see why he has all the wraps on him

DIEHARD
30-05-11, 05:38 PM
Titan tyro Matt Srama answers No.9 call

Youngster: Matt Srama. Picture: Adam Head Source: The Daily Telegraph
THE man who made Matt Srama a dummy-half believes his efforts on debut prove he possesses the courage and determination to become the Titans' long-term No.9.

Srama made an impressive debut in the Titans' 28-6 loss to the Bulldogs with a performance Titans Toyota Cup coach Rod Patison felt typified the rookie's determination.

"Matty will know from that game his skill base is suited to the NRL," offered Patison, who moved Srama from the halves to hooker early in last year's Toyota Cup campaign.

"There's quite a few kids going around who are good in under-20s but don't have the skill base to hold up at the next level. But he showed it defensively, he showed it with his carry and also with his running that he can handle it."

Strengthening their roster following the recruitment of Jamal Idris, Nate Myles and Luke Douglas for next season, the loss of first-choice rake Nathan Friend to the Warriors has caused the greatest concern for the Titans.

Off-contract top squad members Kayne Lawton and Riley Brown, who have both featured in the NRL this season, are two of contenders while Penrith's Masada Iosefa, Cronulla's Paul Aiton, Newcastle's Isaac De Gois and Rabbitoh Beau Falloon have been linked as contenders.

But the efforts of Srama, who this month signed a three-year deal keeping him at the Titans until the end of 2013, in a beaten side will bring comfort for coach John Cartwright.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/

TITAN PETE
30-05-11, 05:42 PM
I think the decision to re-sign Srama is the most important signing the club has had to do since our inception & young Matt will be an international star of the future

DIEHARD
01-06-11, 05:03 PM
Born to play

SOME men are born to play football, and Matt Srama is one of them, according to Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright.

The 20-year-old will wear the Titans? No.9 jersey for the first time against Penrith Panthers on Saturday, after impressing in his surprise debut against the Bulldogs at the weekend.

Cartwright rated Srama the club?s best in that game in his full 80-minute performance.

?He deserves to be there and in my opinion he was our best player the other night,? Cartwright said.

?While ever he?s doing that there?ll be a place in first grade for him.

"It?s a tough position to play and not many guys in the game at the moment can do it for 80 minutes, even the guys that have been there a long time.

"So for a lot of reasons, if we had?ve won the game I?m sure Matty would have got more headlines out of it.?

Srama got through plenty of work against the Bulldogs, making 36 tackles, plus making 120 metres from 14 runs, with an offload thrown in.

He was composed and mature beyond his years, showing promising signs with the hooker?s role almost certainly his upon Nathan Friend?s departure at season?s end.

?I think he is just born to play football, I think ... the general benchmark is between 50 and 100 games before you become a seasoned first grader,? Cartwright said.

?I am not saying Matty is there yet, but you can only go on what you have seen, and what we saw the other night ? his composure, his energy, fitness and his ability to keep up with the game even though he is tired ? you don?t see that in many individuals.?

With Friend injured, Srama?s extra game time this year will be to the Titans? benefit in 2012.

?It is like anyone, the more first grade they can play, the better they get and the quicker they get there,? Cartwright said.

?There are opportunities there for him now, he has cracked it into the first grade, he has held on to his spot. It gets harder and harder, but the first signs are great.?

The Titans? season isn?t over yet, Cartwright says.

He just wants to see more consistency in his side and says that success will follow.

http://www.coolum-news.com.au

DIEHARD
03-06-11, 01:48 PM
PRINCE: Matt Srama is special

I KNEW Matt Srama was good.

Last Friday night against the Bulldogs he proved that to the entire club.

In a game that was more notable for our missed opportunities than anything else, young Matty stood tall.

Most players take a few games to find their feet at the top level. Not this bloke.

He played the full 80 minutes in the toughest position on the field.

The first time I really believed the Packman (his nickname because of his Filipino heritage and likeness to that country's boxing legend Manny Pacquiao) could make it at NRL level was in a pre-season trial this year against Souths at Coffs Harbour.

He stood up to the big Rabbitoh forward pack and showed great composure in his decision-making and passing when fatigued and under pressure.

But what convinced me was a training session earlier this year.

Matty was already identified as a possible replacement for our champion No.9 Nathan Friend, when the youngster was named as the under 20s' player of the year for 2010.

His good form has continued in that grade in 2011, but he was also elevated to the top squad for training sessions.

During one particular session our strength and conditioning guru, Macca, had us doing 40-metre shuttle sprints.
You have a set amount of time to sprint the 40m, recover and then line up again.

After about 23 I had had enough. I was completely stuffed. Workaholic forwards like Ash Harrison made it to about 40 before collapsing.

The ranks thinned until there was just one person left -- Matt Srama. When he reached 50 it was Macca who just shook his head and said: "OK, that's enough."

It takes something pretty special to surprise me at training. I have seen some of the best over a pretty long career. But I walked off the training paddock that day thinking I had seen something that I would probably never see again.

Matt that day proved he was made of the same stuff as blokes like Friendy. They not only have the toughness to mix it with some of the biggest and meanest players in the game, but they also have that big motor that keeps going for 80 minutes.

Against the Bulldogs Matt showed another admirable side to his character. He is not fazed by what is in front of him.

He made his debut in a team that has been misfiring all season. But he approached it in a refreshing way. Here was a young bloke out playing the game that he loves with passion.

He carried no baggage with him, just a desire to do the best for his teammates; to play with courage; to give everything for his jersey; but also to have a good time.

He played the game for what it was.

Matty reminded all of us of what this club is about and how we should prepare and play.

I am a great believer in preparation. That means always arriving early for training. Always giving your best at training.

The Packman did something for all of us last Friday night. For me he fanned the flame of desire that has always burned in me.

And for that I thank him.

But I will also remind him that that was one game. The good NRL players are able to replicate that week in, week out.

I believe Matty can do that. But that is up to him.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/

Rage
03-06-11, 04:12 PM
I'm pretty excited to see if Srama can replicate his efforts on a week to week basis. I know there's been alot of hype about him but last week was the first time I saw him play so if that was a typical performance, things are looking good

Titan Fanatic
08-06-11, 07:59 AM
Like to see srama try a few kicks to ease pressure on prince and presto and keep defence guessing.

Ryan
09-06-11, 05:50 PM
Pacman got a nice rap from Lockyer in today's Courier Mail! Lockyer put him in his Supercoach team, as did I ;)

Super_Matt
11-06-11, 09:38 AM
Alright so - Nathan who?

Srama's game last night was like a better version of Friend :p

Ryan
11-06-11, 10:54 AM
No joke!
He is playing 80mins, holding up in defense, offers more in attack and is so far consistent!
****ing Champion!

Super_Matt
11-06-11, 10:57 AM
Riley Brown - LOL

dee13
11-06-11, 12:29 PM
WOW!!!! He was a star for us last night. Well done Matt.

teke
11-06-11, 03:11 PM
As Bennett said a month ago, if you can gain a half a second in speed in every play the ball while on attack it makes a hell of a difference to the offensive structure of the set.

Srama has come in and instantly given Prince/Presto more time to do what they want.

Srama for President :thumbsup:

Rage
11-06-11, 03:59 PM
The best thing about having him is that now we can also enjoy the signing of Idris and the like without complaining about how we didn't spend that money on a hooker instead.

Steelers
11-06-11, 05:13 PM
The best thing about having him is that now we can also enjoy the signing of Idris and the like without complaining about how we didn't spend that money on a hooker instead.

I was one of those people who heavily criticised the Idris signing, especially when it meant losing Friend. However it seems as though Srama fills that void quite well, and being about 10 years younger and a fair bit cheaper (at this stage anyway) means that he is alot better value than Friend. I still think the money spent on Idris could have been better spent elsewhere though (like retaining Tonga and signing another high profile forward).

DIEHARD
11-06-11, 06:36 PM
Just like the rest of you, I'm terribly excited about him. He really gets us moving and is a terrier in defence. He is class. And class is hard to find.

patskE
12-06-11, 03:54 PM
love the way he skips out and takes a few steps to get us going before he passes it.
cant wait to see him develop!
great guy to, had a quick word to him after the game

Smakked
13-06-11, 12:20 AM
He is playing pretty good for now but i wont pass judgement till he has 10 games or so in topgrade to see if he keeps it up, but so far so good.

titansrawesome
13-06-11, 01:21 AM
i knew he was special when i saw him in the under 20s last year like when i saw gordan,mead,tonga,thompson,ridge and james and others play for our under 20s

DIEHARD
15-06-11, 01:27 AM
Srama the new Smith?

He's already earned himself comparisons with Cameron Smith just three games into his first-grade career but the Gold Coast Titans aren't getting carried away with the rapid rise of young hooker Matt Srama.

The promising 20-year-old was plucked from the Toyota Cup and thrown into the Titans lineup just three weeks ago but has so far lived up to the hype that has seen him billed as the club's long-term successor to injured rake Nathan Friend.

Srama faced a first-grade baptism of fire in his matches against the Bulldogs, Penrith and St George but not once has he looked out of place in the No.9 jumper.

Gold Coast assistant coach Steve Murphy said the club was 'ecstatic' with Srama's performances to date but are keeping his feet firmly on the ground, despite showing shades of Smith when he was at a similar age.

"We want him to be a 10-year Titan," he said.

"He's a composed young man and he'll play a lot of first-grade for this club, make no mistake about that."

"We think he's the real deal but comparisons to Cameron Smith are definitely premature. He's only a slightly built young fella and we don't want to rush him at this level."

Srama is miles ahead of the pack in the voting for the Titans' under-20 player of the year but he has been so impressive, Murphy said he could be right up there for the club's overall best and fairest if he continues his blistering start at NRL level.

"It's every possibility if he continues at the rate that he's going. He's well clear in the NYC voting at this stage," he said.

"I wouldn't say we're surprised (by his form). We knew we had a pretty special talent. We were just very respectful of his stage in development. We've got a very high opinion of the young man."

Srama has been named for what will be his fourth first-grade match against South Sydney on Friday night, part of an extended 19-man squad for the Titans' visit to ANZ Stadium.

How the Coast line up against the Rabbitohs largely hinges on how representative stars Ashley Harrison and Greg Bird pull up from Origin II on Wednesday night.

Their latest signing, Beau Henry - who has barely had time to unpack his suitcase since his sudden departure from Newcastle - was not named but Murphy did not rule out the chance of him making his Titans debut on Friday if Harrison and Bird cannot back up successfully.

"Beau's here to play first-grade football. He's trained well this week and we're hopeful that he'll play a lot of first-grade between now and the end of the year," Murphy said.

"It could be early as next week, it could be this week. John (Cartwright) will make his decision in due course and we'll go from there."

"John can come up with a few surprises, he's been with Ricky Stuart for quite some time so he likes putting a little smoky in there from time to time," he laughed.

Source: Sportal

kwigibo
15-06-11, 01:08 PM
"John can come up with a few surprises, he's been with Ricky Stuart for quite some time so he likes putting a little smoky in there from time to time," he laughed.

What's he been smoking?

lonegull
15-06-11, 01:34 PM
great article in this weeks league week on Srama, worthwhile read

DIEHARD
16-06-11, 02:04 AM
Srama 'future 10-year Titan': Murphy

GOLD Coast assistant coach Steve Murphy has hosed down comparisons between boom rake Matt Srama and Storm star Cameron Smith at the same age, but believes Srama is a future 10-year Titan.

Srama has been sensational since being drafted into first grade from the under-20s three weeks ago, earning many plaudits along the way.

While Murphy admitted Srama was a special talent, he said it was important not to get too carried away.

"We think he is the real deal but any comparisons to Cameron Smith are definitely premature," Murphy said.

"He is a composed young man and he will play a lot of first grade for this club, make no mistake about that.

"We have got a very high opinion of the young man and we are ecstatic he is performing at the level he is at such a young age.

"He is only a slightly built young fella and we don't want to rush him at this level because we are hoping for him to be a 10-year Titan."

Srama will again start in the No.9 jumper against the Rabbitohs in Sydney on Friday night, in the wake of season-ending shoulder surgery to workaholic first-string hooker Nathan Friend.

Titans coach John Cartwright has named a 19-man squad against the Rabbitohs, with the make up of his side to be determined on how representative stars Ashley Harrison and Greg Bird recover from last night's State of Origin.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/

DIEHARD
23-07-11, 08:47 AM
Maroons Origin star Cameron Smith raves about boom Titans hooker Matt Srama

MAROONS captain-in-waiting Cameron Smith has declared Matt Srama one of the most promising hookers he has seen.

In a glowing endorsement, Smith says Srama's ice-cool entry to first grade has rubber-stamped him as a long-term NRL rake.

And departing Titans hooker Nathan Friend has backed up the Storm skipper, claiming his understudy is more gifted than himself.

Srama, who plays his eighth top-grade game tonight against the Cowboys at Skilled Park, has been a beacon of hope in a forgettable season for the Titans.

Handed his debut against the Bulldogs in round 12 after Friend underwent shoulder surgery, the 20-year-old has looked comfortable from his first outing.

Such is the excitement surrounding Srama, the Titans handed him an upgraded three-year deal worth an estimated $400,000 before he had even made his NRL debut.

Smith, the best player in his craft for at least the past four seasons, does not easily dispense praise to the next generation cutting their teeth in the No.9 jumper.

"The one player who has caught my eye this year is Matty Srama," Smith said.

"He did some really good things in his debut and of the young hookers coming through, he's definitely one to watch.

"I like the way he plays, he's enthusiastic and is sharp around the rucks, he's certainly got a big future in the game."

It is a pointer to Srama's potential that since his debut eight weeks ago, the 80kg hooker has been one of the Titans' most consistent performers. In seven games he has made 255 tackles at an average of 36 a game.

But just as significant has been Srama's composure out of dummy half, his courage in traffic and the ability to consistently play above his weight.

Just 12 months ago, boom utility Kayne Lawton was being groomed as the man to wear the Titans No.9 jumper, but Friend says Srama is now a worthy successor.

"He's probably the man to replace me, I think Matty has shown the goods this year," said Friend, who will join the Warriors next season.

Asked if Srama is State of Origin quality, Friend said: "It's hard to say if someone will definitely take the next step to Origin.

"Not many guys are lucky enough to play Origin. Cameron Smith is a great player and he'll be there a while yet, but if Matt stays patient and keeps improving, you never know, he might be the next great Queensland hooker."

Srama's manager Paul Hogan revealed how close the former five-eighth came to joining the Wests Tigers three years ago.

"Matt was going to go to the Tigers but his father had a health condition," he said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/