PDA

View Full Version : Preston Campbell - 2011 Discussion Thread

Tamwelg
03-04-11, 12:00 PM
Preston Campbell - 2011 Discussion Thread

General discussion on match performances, position, injuries, contracts, and anything else.

Titan Dad
01-05-11, 01:01 PM
,This bloke is a legend of the game. For he has shown that the little men are incredibly dangerous in our ever evolving game. We need to keep him around our club to mentor the younger players.

DIEHARD
01-05-11, 02:41 PM
He was on fire last night, really impressive for his first match back from injury.

He should have scored that try too IMO!

Rage
01-05-11, 06:29 PM
Presto's the one player I wish we could make 10 years younger with a lifetime contract

Panthers_Fan
01-05-11, 09:23 PM
Presto's the one player I wish we could make 10 years younger with a lifetime contract

I wish that he was still with the Panthers, was one of the main reasons that I really started following them. Such a gun player.

Titanic
01-05-11, 11:49 PM
If what's reported is correct then Prince can't play without guidance ... Campbell is a must to start at 1.

Chaos
02-05-11, 05:57 PM
If what's reported is correct then Prince can't play without guidance ... Campbell is a must to start at 1.

It's not that Prince can't play without guidance...it's more of a fact that a combination will beat a team of individuals.
I combination is based on communication...sounds like that is what Preston is providing...It's also what I what wishing for at 5/8.

teke
02-05-11, 06:15 PM
If what's reported is correct then Prince can't play without guidance ... Campbell is a must to start at 1.I wouldnt say "without guidance" He certainly likes what Presto brings and that's why he is valued at the back. Melbourne storm have Kronk, Smith, Slater and Widdup where as up until recently we have only had Prince and an inconsistent lineup to help him out.

Titanic
02-05-11, 07:45 PM
I accept all of that and my comment was in support of Campbell not to bag Prince but I was quoting Prince himself and when you consider his best games were with quality playmakers around him - Marshall, Rogers, Campbell, et al then I think he needs on-field guidance ... I doubt Carty can offer that.

teke
02-05-11, 09:47 PM
I accept all of that and my comment was in support of Campbell not to bag Prince but I was quoting Prince himself and when you consider his best games were with quality playmakers around him - Marshall, Rogers, Campbell, et al then I think he needs on-field guidance ... I doubt Carty can offer that.Yeah I agree, Prestos best spot is out the back.

patskE
03-05-11, 12:35 AM
i think presto n prince is sorta the same as Thurston n bowen...
bowen makes thurston play better cause they trust each other n know they can depend on them

n we are a better side all round when presto is in the side, he just inspires n makes others wanna try harder

Tamwelg
03-05-11, 08:51 AM
When Carty first put Presto at fullback a few seasons back I didn't like the idea at all and thought he was out of position a lot and was terrible under the high ball, but now I wouldn't put anyone in the side back there before Presto. All he needed was a bit of time to adjust.

Chaos
03-05-11, 05:50 PM
When Carty first put Presto at fullback a few seasons back I didn't like the idea at all and thought he was out of position a lot and was terrible under the high ball, but now I wouldn't put anyone in the side back there before Presto. All he needed was a bit of time to adjust.

The risk is still there

Rage
04-05-11, 04:01 PM

Agreed, I remember the first few games of 2007 and I kept waiting for Carty to move him to 5/8 but now I don't want anyone there except for Presto

TitansFan2020
09-05-11, 09:18 PM
Whatan absolute shocker of a game

Titanic
09-05-11, 10:53 PM
The risk is still there

clairvoyant (unfortunately)

Chaos
10-05-11, 05:00 PM
clairvoyant (unfortunately)

There has always been a risk with Preston at fullback but it just needed an opposition to have a game plan to target him...I was surprised he wasn't targeted last year.

As nice as Preston is...he wouldn't be enjoying it.

Titanic
10-05-11, 10:16 PM
no doubt ... you can't hide a little guy at the back ... they either get found out or busted like Gardner.

Blazertaser
11-06-11, 09:06 PM
‘Presto’ to continue weaving magic with Titans

One of the Gold Coast Titans favourite sons has decided to play on, with inaugural signing Preston Campbell today agreeing to sign a one-year contract extension for next season.

In a significant boost for the club, the recently turned 34-year-old has decided to extend his illustrious playing career for one more year as he assists the club through a transitional phase heading into season 2012.

Having weighed up his future over the past two years, Campbell said the chance to play alongside some of the club’s new recruits such as Jamal Idris was a significant part of his decision to continue playing on.

“The main reason is I’m feeling really good at the moment. The way we’re going as a team isn’t that great but hopefully we can finish on this season on a good note,’’ said Campbell, who has played 257 NRL matches and won a premiership, Dally M Medal, Paul Broughton Medal and Ken Stephen Medal during his glittering 14-year career.

“We’ve got a bit of a changing team and there will be some fresh faces here next year so I’m really excited to play alongside those boys.

“I’m also happy to continue helping the club with its work in the community and through programs like the Learn Earn Legend initiative for indigenous students.’’

Having made Campbell’s signature a priority before the birth of the Titans in 2007, Titans Managing Director Michael Searle said the club was excited to have such a great role model on board for another season.

“Preston has been an integral part of what we’ve been able to build here on and off the field so for him to be playing on as the club embarks on a new era is fantastic,’’ said Searle.

“He’s still playing some great football and contributing to the club in so many different ways.’’

Titans Coach John Cartwright said Campbell’s calming influence continued to have a great impact on the team.

“It just makes you feel better knowing that Preston is going to be involved next year,’’ said Cartwright.

“He has such a great influence on his teammates and I’m really happy that he’s decided to go around again.’’

Source: http://www.zerotackle.com.au/presto-continue-weaving-magic-titans-2338/

DIEHARD
10-08-11, 02:39 PM
?Presto? excited about magic 100 milestone

He?s played more than 260 NRL games over 14 seasons at the top but livewire Preston Campbell says reaching 100 games for the one club, for the first time in his career is a special achievement.

Campbell will notch 100 games for the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans when he dons the No.7 jersey in Saturday night?s clash against Melbourne at Skilled Park, becoming just the fourth player in Titans history to do so.

Fellow inaugural Titan Anthony Laffranchi may also reach 100 games for the club this weekend if he can overcome a corked leg in time to take on Melbourne.

For Campbell, after playing 96 matches for Penrith (2003-06) and 54 matches for Cronulla (1999-2002), the 100-game milestone marks a significant achievement to add to his list as he soaks up his final month as a player in the game.

?Even though I?ve gone full circle, not many blokes can say they?ve started and finished at the same club,?? said Campbell, referring to his debut for the Gold Coast Chargers in 1998.

?I know they were the Chargers back then but they were still the Gold Coast.

?So it is great to be back here and to play 100 games for them ? I?ve never played 100 games for any team ? so that?s pretty special for myself.??

With just four games remaining in his playing career, Campbell said he would be out to bring a ?bit of fun? to his side?s style of play, starting this weekend.

?It?s the last four games of the season so I just think we should go out there and enjoy it,?? he said.

?Obviously we?ve got a structure in place but we just need to go out there and enjoy it. That?s the best way we play our football, we beat teams playing like that so I?m just going to try and bring a bit of fun into it

?You?re a long time retired from rugby league so I?m definitely going to go out and have a bit of fun.??

Jetstar Titans Coach John Cartwright said it was nice to see the club?s inaugural players making history by reaching milestones this season and pointed towards the side?s strong record when Campbell has filled in for Prince at halfback in the past.

Without Prince, Campbell guided the club to a history making 18-6 win over the Storm in Melbourne 2009 along with a 20-16 win over Melbourne at Skilled Park last year.

?He?s been a cornerstone of our side and our club. He?s loved by everyone, especially us, and with four games we want to send him out a winner as much as we possibly can,?? said Cartwright.

?We?ve actually got a good record when Presto plays halfback. I know he?s very excited about it, he?s very important to us, very infectious and he brings that out in everyone else around him.??

Source: Titans

C-Whiz
04-09-11, 07:06 AM
Well done Preston, you were the highlight of an otherwise forgetful year, and have been the highlight of all my years as a Gold Coast supporter, from Chargers to the Titans.

Last night you excited the crowd with every touch and showed again why you are a favourite player for many NRL supporters.

Thanks for a great effort last night to finish off your stellar career. :salute:

DIEHARD
04-09-11, 12:10 PM
He is my favourite player of all time!

Cowboy Titan
05-09-11, 03:06 PM
Just heard on 2UE that Preston has been named in the Australian train on squad and is likely to play in the PNG game. Hope it's true.

SunnyCoastTitanFan
05-09-11, 04:05 PM
He is my favourite player of all time!

Well after meeting him the other night I second that :D

DIEHARD
05-09-11, 04:35 PM
Just heard on 2UE that Preston has been named in the Australian train on squad and is likely to play in the PNG game. Hope it's true.

That'd be the Prime Minister's XIII.

I hope he plays for the Kangaroos too.

Anyway our forum's own Timor 2 scored Preston's socks!

They couldnt have gone to a nicer bloke or more worth home. :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
05-09-11, 04:44 PM

It is true! Thanks for the tip, Ive tracked down the news and posted it in the Titans Forum and put it through the Roo Crew.

Congratulations Presto!

Make him the Kangaroos super sub! :thumbsup:

C-Whiz
06-09-11, 04:09 PM
Not only is he evergreen, hopefully soon he will be evergreen and gold. :thumbsup:

Cowboy Titan
06-09-11, 08:36 PM
Not only is he evergreen, hopefully soon he will be evergreen and gold. :thumbsup:Where's the "LIKE" button.