PDA

View Full Version : Greg Bird - 2011 Discussion Thread

Tamwelg
03-04-11, 12:59 PM
Greg Bird - 2011 Discussion Thread

General discussion on match performances, position, injuries, contracts, and anything else.

Tamwelg
04-04-11, 09:24 PM
Bird at home in Titans' No.6, says Prince

AAPMon, Apr 04, 2011 - 7:10 PM

Gold Coast are facing a halves crisis with Scott Prince and Greg Bird confronting major hurdles to play in Friday night's NRL showdown with the North Queensland in Townsville.

Scan results on Prince's injured hamstring will be known on Tuesday while on Monday Bird was hit with a grade one striking charge after appearing to collect Canberra halfback Matt Orford with a forearm in the Titans' 23-22 win over the Raiders.

The Titans have until midday on Tuesday to notify the NRL if they plan to fight the charge.

Even though it's a low grade, Bird, who has carry over points, would still miss the clash if he takes an early guilty plea.

If he fights the charge and loses, he still only misses a week.

With the injury cloud over Prince and with utility ace Preston Campbell (knee) sidelined, the club may be forced to try and defend Bird or risk going up against an in-form Cowboys pairing of Johnathan Thurston and Ray Thompson with an untried halves combination.

Fullback William Zillman jumped into halfback when Campbell was injured in the second half against the Raiders and South Sydney recruit Luke Capewell played five-eighth in the club's opening few games of the season.

Young winger David Mead could play fullback at a pinch.

Prince had praised Bird's display at five-eighth in his absence against the Raiders before the judiciary charge was known.

The former NSW pivot, who many believe is more damaging and intimidating in the second-row, threw the final overhead pass for forward Anthony Laffranchi who scored a converted try that tied the match at 22-all with seconds remaining.

Bird then neatly slotted the game-winning field goal in golden point from a scrum win.

"I thought he played a traditional five-eighth game," Prince said.

"He took the line on when it was time to take it on, he looked to shift when it was time to shift, it was a really good balance and he kicked really well.

"It was just a typical five-eighth role."

Prince said he would be disappointed to miss the chance of going up against Thurston.

"We'll have to wait and see, it's all positive signs at the moment," he said before heading off for scans.

"I had a run this morning and it seems to have pulled up ok.

"I've got scans this afternoon and that will tell us exactly what's going and give us some positive news."

The possible returns from injury of hard working lock Ashley Harrison and busy hooker Nathan Friend would be massive in helping shut down the running games of Thurston, Matt Bowen and Aaron Payne.

Prince said the players could use the win over Canberra as a springboard to getting their season back on track against the Cowboys.

"We showed some guts and grit at the weekend and with a few guys coming back things may be starting to fall into place a little, although we can't rest on that," he said.

Tamwelg
04-04-11, 09:25 PM
I thought Bird has his best game at 5/8 for the titans against the Raiders and I didn't realise he could kick the ball so well.

Blazertaser
05-04-11, 12:44 PM
Titan Bird accepts one-match ban

THE Titans face the prospect of taking on the Cowboys in Townsville on Friday night without their two first-choice halves after five-eighth Greg Bird today accepted a one-match ban for striking.

Bird was hit with a grade one charge by the match review panel on Monday over a 66th minute incident involving Raiders halfback Matt Orford in his matchwinning performance in Canberra.

The Titans were surprised by the charge given the incident failed to result in a penalty during Saturday night's, which the Coast won 23-22 in golden-point extra-time on the back of a Bird field goal.

His suspension leaves the Titans sweating on the fitness of skipper Scott Prince after he missed Saturday's win in Canberra with a hamstring injury.

Prince is confident of receiving positive news when he gets the results of scans on his hamstring injury today but will be given until game day to prove his fitness.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2011/04/05/305475_gold-coast-titans.html

Blazertaser
05-04-11, 12:47 PM
Not a good sign heading into a very difficult match up against a strong North Queensland team at Dairy Farmers this week.

Titanic
10-04-11, 12:49 PM
I also thought Bird was excellent without Prince. Surely, Prince needs to get fit either physically or mentally - something is obviously wrong with his preparation. Friend 9, Zilly 7, Bird 6 and Mead 1 has a lot of appeal with the Campbell 6 and Bird backrow rotation option a bonus.

Chaos
10-04-11, 01:09 PM
Bird...very good back rower...has good ball skills to suit lock and loves the tough stuff

Ordinary 5/8

Titan Dad
19-04-11, 03:13 PM
Birdman is the answer to our utility position. He can play back row, lock, 5/8 and centres at a push. We have got to keep this bloke.

Rage
19-04-11, 04:48 PM
Any info on Bird for next year? Been hearing some rumors that he may not be with us next season.

Tamwelg
06-05-11, 12:02 AM
By Nathan Ryan
5 May 2011 05:25PM EST

OFF-contract Parramatta halfback Jeff Robson has no shortage of offers for next season in the wake of the club signing Chris Sandow for the next four years.

According to Robson?s manager Gavin Orr, the 28-year-old who led the Eels to a grand final in 2009 has at least two Sydney clubs chasing his signature.

They don't include, Cronulla who are busy working on the retention of young five-eighth Albert Kelly.

With halves partner Daniel Mortimer signed until 2012, Robson has been offered a one-year extension from the Eels but is weighing up his other options.

?He?s had the Eels contract offer for a while,? Orr told sportsnewsfirst.com.au.

?He?s just focused on performing well for the Eels each week.?

On top of the two Sydney-based sides, he is said to have four clubs in the Super League searching for a half-five-eighth.

The Leeton junior made his debut for Manly in 2004, but only managed to register six games for the Sea Eagles over a four-year period.

Signing year-to-year deals, he signed a two-year deal with the Eels in 2009 which runs out at the end of the year.

South Sydney is without a halfback for next season, with Sandow announcing on Wednesday he had signed with the club - leaving Robson out of favour.

Meanwhile Roosters forwards Daniel Conn has three clubs interested in his services next season.

Off contract with the tricolours, the tattooed former Titan is searching for a further two seasons but remains hopeful of staying at the club despite them having no immediate plans or his future.

?We have done nothing yet,? recruitment manager Peter O?Sullivan told sportsnewsfirst.com.au.

?He?s off contract this year and we haven?t made any decisions going forward.?

In more good news for Titans fans, Greg Bird has activated a year extension on his contract to remain at the Titans until the end of 2012.

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au

AmericanTitan
06-05-11, 12:52 AM
glad to see Bird will be back next year. He really ups the physicality of the team when he is in the side (for better or for worse).

Boofhead
06-05-11, 12:16 PM
You little ripper!

lonegull
06-05-11, 12:19 PM
great news especially with Boof gone

Rage
06-05-11, 02:28 PM
Awesome! was worried we were gonna lose him along with Laffranchi

teke
07-05-11, 01:56 AM
Good to see him staying.

He annoys the crap out of me sometimes but he is a good player

TITAN PETE
07-05-11, 06:45 AM
Great news

shamus
07-05-11, 09:06 AM
Good to see him staying.

He annoys the crap out of me sometimes but he is a good player

That just about sums it up.. :thumbsup:

Titanic
07-05-11, 07:01 PM
1. Walker
2. Mead
3. Idris
4. Tonga
5. Michaels
6. Zillman
7. Prince
8 Bailey
9. $6,000,000 question
10. Douglas
11. Bird
12. Myles
13. Harrison

14. James
15. Minichiello
16. Thompson
17. Tagataese

TitansFan2020
07-05-11, 08:21 PM
In my mind how could you EVER leave out flash

teke
07-05-11, 08:23 PM
1. Walker
2. Mead
3. Idris
4. Tonga
5. Michaels
6. Zillman
7. Prince
8 Bailey
9. $6,000,000 question
10. Douglas
11. Bird
12. Myles
13. Harrison

14. James
15. Minichiello
16. Thompson
17. TagataeseThat's a pretty strong lineup and close to what it will be at begining of next year.

teke
07-05-11, 08:25 PM
In my mind how could you EVER leave out flashHe has suffered a big injury and will have to prove himself like everyone else has in the club. Some time in the Q Cup might be needed and if good enough he will be back

TitansFan2020
07-05-11, 08:30 PM
He has suffered a big injury and will have to prove himself like everyone else has in the club. Some time in the Q Cup might be needed and if good enough he will be back

1. Mead
2. Gordan
3. Idris
4. Champion
5. Tomane
6. Zillman
7. Prince
8. Bailey
9. Sezer
10. Douglas
11. Bird
12. Myles
13. Harrison

14. James
15. Tagatease
16. White
17. Walker

NOW THATS A TEAM

TitansFan2020
07-05-11, 08:33 PM
Sorry drop taga and put in mini

teke
07-05-11, 08:33 PM
1. Mead
2. Gordan
3. Idris
4. Champion
5. Tomane
6. Zillman
7. Prince
8. Bailey
9. Sezer
10. Douglas
11. Bird
12. Myles
13. Harrison

14. James
15. Tagatease
16. White
17. Walker

NOW THATS A TEAMSezer at number 9?

Titanics is much better

TitansFan2020
07-05-11, 08:37 PM
Sezer at number 9?

Titanics is much better

Mate sezers only a kid mend him to a hooker and he'll become great, I know you guys aren't gonna be happy but maybe we don't need a friend maybe we need a playmaking hooker with kicking ability and no those backs would be unstopable

teke
07-05-11, 09:23 PM
Mate sezers only a kid mend him to a hooker and he'll become great, I know you guys aren't gonna be happy but maybe we don't need a friend maybe we need a playmaking hooker with kicking ability and no those backs would be unstopableBuy a natural 5/8 prospect then try and turn him into a hooker?

Mead hasnt shown to be a fullback, Tomane isnt a winger and champion imo isnt better than Tonga

TitansFan2020
07-05-11, 09:30 PM
Mead is a freak fullback played for png in it to mane used to play wing is fast and awesome jump and champion scored 22 tries last year, I win :)

TitansFan2020
07-05-11, 09:32 PM
And 6's usually make great 9's plus I think we need a playmaker we need to move forward and turn into an attacking team and my team is excellent offense while still keeping descent defence

Chaos
07-05-11, 09:40 PM
And 6's usually make great 9's plus I think we need a playmaker we need to move forward and turn into an attacking team and my team is excellent offense while still keeping descent defence

A tough half with good defense can make a good dummy half but I personally think Mead is suited to the wing and Zillman at Fullback.

I never seen Sezer play and don't know where he is suited...but whether he plays 6 or 9...there is still a void somewhere.

TitansFan2020
07-05-11, 09:46 PM
He's good trust me and he has best passing and vision ive seen and he usually goes dummy half and he's not small he is muscly as gordan mead hasn't been scoring enough for a winger but is showing fullback qualities And walker would be biggest impact player in league zillman is showing his worth at the moment I wouldn't move him

Chaos
07-05-11, 09:51 PM
He's good trust me and he has best passing and vision ive seen and he usually goes dummy half

Big call...you describe a player we need

TitansFan2020
07-05-11, 09:52 PM
That's why I'm so glad we've signed him

teke
07-05-11, 10:11 PM
Mead is a freak fullback played for png in it to mane used to play wing is fast and awesome jump and champion scored 22 tries last year, I win :)I want Mead at fullback but he hasnt shown anything there in the NRL yet to get the jump on Presto, Zilly or Shannon. Tomane isnt as good as Mead, Gordon or Michaels on the wing. Champion is not better than Tonga.

Titanics team is what will most likely show up plus or minus champion at this stage.

TitansFan2020
07-05-11, 10:28 PM
I would have tomane over mead any day also mead hasn't even been given a chance at fullback he is good there I would rather champion t either are descent doesn't bother me if we do or don't sign him Any way tomane is a freak I don't know why he's not in the team

teke
07-05-11, 10:38 PM
I would have tomane over mead any day also mead, Any way tomane is a freak I don't know why he's not in the teamBodenes defence is better than Tomanes attack, that is why he is not in.

TitansFan2020
07-05-11, 10:41 PM
But that's exactly it ,the titans need attack and he's improved in q cup I watch his games

teke
07-05-11, 10:45 PM
But that's exactly it ,the titans need attack and he's improved in q cup I watch his games:laugh: I dont pick the team, that's what I gathered the reason to be. Carty watches all the games aswell

TitansFan2020
07-05-11, 10:57 PM
Anyway betterstop this debate on the Greg bird discussion thread haha im tired, while so off topic well done to gold coast suns courageous win today haha night boys

teke
07-05-11, 11:04 PM
Anyway betterstop this debate on the Greg bird discussion thread haha im tired, while so off topic well done to gold coast suns courageous win today haha night boys:D I was trying to find a way to get Bird into the topic.

Yeah awesome win by the Suns

C-Whiz
04-09-11, 07:59 AM
Dear Greg,

please just focus on playing good footy in 2012 and stop playing like a friggin' cat who likes to take dives and try to milk penalties. Your football has been about 4/10 this year, and as result you provided a great help in acquiring us the spoon this year.

Also, I sincerely ask you to try to fit into the team to make things flow, rather than constantly killing momentum by taking dives and giving away penalties with your stupid plays at critical times in the game.

So, in summary, please just focus on playing good, honest, tough football. In other words, the sort of football the Titans are paying you to play.

All the best for 2012,
C-Whiz.