PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast Suns

DIEHARD
02-04-11, 09:18 PM
Currently getting destroyed on LIVE national television. :laugh:

Coaster
02-04-11, 09:35 PM
Damn i just checked, knowing Vlad the TV rating just jumped to 20 million.

was 103 to 23 haha, wtf is that?

Maybe they had 23 near misses

DIEHARD
02-04-11, 09:48 PM
Hunt has been on and off all night with injury.

titansrawesome
02-04-11, 10:04 PM
Hunt has been on and off all night with injury.

he injured his pride:p

DIEHARD
03-04-11, 12:00 AM
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/gallery/remote/2011/04/02/973205.jpg

Suns or Lions fans? You decide. Another reason they shouldn't have had similar colours!

Coaster
03-04-11, 01:37 AM
I am sendng this to the GC Bully 2moz

No need to question it. We are sold, thank you Victoria for finally showing us the error of our ways, here we are on the GC only getting about 4 live games a week with countless updates via radio and TV and if it wasn't for the SunBurns we would not have the chance to see it live unless we traveled 40 min.

We are converted, the cool aid is drunk. Why would we watch such a boring game like the Titans, which had just 1 point between them when we could be blown away by the score given to us by the SunBurns?

My mind nearly exploded trying to calculate the score as I multiplied 20 by 6 and then added the 1 point behinds to give me a percentage. I had family members ringing me up for what answer I came up with ( mostly women)

Thank you again, I would become a member but it does look like my $6 Sharks card I have already makes me one

titansrawesome
03-04-11, 01:44 AM
I am sendng this to the GC Bully 2moz

No need to question it. We are sold, thank you Victoria for finally showing us the error of our ways, here we are on the GC only getting about 4 live games a week with countless updates via radio and TV and if it wasn't for the SunBurns we would not have the chance to see it live unless we traveled 40 min.

We are converted, the cool aid is drunk. Why would we watch such a boring game like the Titans, which had just 1 point between them when we could be blown away by the score given to us by the SunBurns?

My mind nearly exploded trying to calculate the score as I multiplied 20 by 6 and then added the 1 point behinds to give me a percentage. I had family members ringing me up for what answer I came up with ( mostly women)

Thank you again, I would become a member but it does look like my $6 Sharks card I have already makes me one
love it, bloody boring victorians lol

TITAN PETE
03-04-11, 01:46 AM
Blues all over Suns

The Gold Coast Suns have been destroyed in their AFL debut, losing by 119 points to Carlton at the Gabba.

The competition newcomers saw their worst fears realised as their young list was overpowered and overrun by the Blues, who recorded their second win to start the season.

After conceding a 52-point deficit in the first frame, the competition new boys were able to somewhat slow the carnage thereafter, eventually going down 26.15 (171) to 7.10 (52)

Rugby League convert Karmichael Hunt was powerless to stop the carnage and was left for dead by Brett Thornton, who finished with four goals.

High-profile Gold Coast singings Gary Ablett Jr and Michael Rischitelli gave huge efforts in the midfield, but were always short of options in attempts to push forward.

Carlton skipper Chris Judd had a happy 200th game, kicking a pair of goals and finishing with 29 disposals.

Andrew Walker and Jeffrey Garlett finished with five marks each for the visitors, while Bryce Gibbs was impressive with 36 disposals and 15 marks.

The Blues dominance of the contest started from the opening bounce, with the Suns tentative and conceding a rush of majors within the opening five minutes.

The Blues were capitalising on their physical advantage, pouring forward with greater numbers at every contest and pushing 30 points ahead before the Suns had their first goal, from the boot of Charlie Dixon.

But Dixon's goal aside, the first quarter was a humiliating introduction for the Suns, who were never once first to the ball and went to the first break trailing 9.5 (59) to 1.1 (7).

The Blues did as they pleased, brushing Suns defenders aside on the rare occasions they appeared and funnelling the ball forward for easy goals from their dominant forward line.

The Suns made a positive start to the second stanza, with Dixon grabbing his second major and their midfield able to briefly stymie the Blues forward momentum.

But Carlton were still in full control, out-muscling their lighter opponents and finding unmarked targets from almost every possession.

Harley Bennell was successful with a brilliant long-range effort from the pocket, but the Blues were doing it easy, taking their advantage to 74 points at half-time.

Carlton broke into triple figures at the start of the third quarter with a goal to Marc Murphy, before the Suns rallied briefly, capturing a better share of the possession and booting three of the first four goals.

But the Blues refused to give the hosts a sniff, refocusing to end the quarter in a flurry, with goals to Thornton, Eddie Betts and Judd.

The Blues continued to pad their advantage in the second half, maintaining a steady stream of points, while at one point the Suns went 26 minutes without a point.

Garlett kicked his fifth to take the Blues past the 150 mark before Walker joined him at the top of the goal-kickers list late in the quarter.

TITAN PETE
03-04-11, 01:49 AM
Awesome Career move Khunt :thumbsup:

Just checked the season market & Carlton are 8th in the betting , look out Sunburns when u come up against one of the contenders :rolf:

TITAN PETE
03-04-11, 01:51 AM
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/gallery/remote/2011/04/02/973205.jpg

Suns or Lions fans? You decide. Another reason they shouldn't have had similar colours!

Looks like the Donkeys had left overs & they changed the emblems :rolleyes:

Steelers
03-04-11, 02:50 AM
Was it a full house there tonight?

TITAN PETE
03-04-11, 10:43 AM
Was it a full house there tonight?

Not even close 27k which when u see how many empty seats there was it may be an exagerated figure :rolleyes:

TITAN PETE
03-04-11, 10:48 AM
Code-jumper Karmichael Hunt makes underwhelming AFL debut in Gold Coast Suns' emphatic loss to Carlton
By Darren Cartwright AAP April 02, 2011 11:36PM

Modest debut...Karmichael Hunt had just five disposals in the Suns loss to Carlton.
The AFL's code-hopping experiment is still very much in the test tube stage after Karmichael Hunt made a less than ideal debut for the Gold Coast Suns.

Starting on a half-back flank, Hunt's assignments were varied in the Gold Coast's heavy 26.15 (171) to 7.10 (52) defeat, with no fewer than three opponents in the opening quarter.

When the positional merry-go-round finally stopped midway through the opening term, Hunt found himself conceding more than a dozen centimetres to Carlton's towering 201cm ruck-forward Shaun Hampson.

The Blues tried a few times to isolate Hunt so he was one-out with Hampson deep in attack.

However, the former Brisbane Bronco was moved to avoid the mismatch, picking up Bret Thornton for most of the second half, and at times was even a spare man in defence.

So far as stats and skill levels are concerned, Hunt looked uncomfortable with the pace of the game and his disposal under pressure left a lot to be desired.

When the ball was within close proximity in the backline he tended to prop and watch rather than take a proactive role and was caught short a number of times.

He spent a lot of time talking and pointing to teammates and even back-chatted the umpire after giving away a blatant free kick in front of goal after getting in the face of Hampson in a marking contest.

Even though the ball spent a lot of time in Hunt's part of the field, he finished with two kicks, three handpasses, no marks and had the fewest touches for the Suns.

Hunt's venture into the AFL world started in mid-2009 when he announced he would jump codes.

He didn't officially start training until midway through last year and was one of 12 debutants for the Suns in their historic first AFL match.

There's also no doubt Hunt's former teammates are eager to plot his progress.

Among the 27,914 spectators at the Gabba were Broncos captain Darren Lockyer and several of his NRL teammates.

TITAN PETE
03-04-11, 10:50 AM
Sounds like Khunt still thinks he's playing fullback for the Donkeys :rolleyes:

Well at least Locky & co would've had a good laugh for the night :rolf:

DIEHARD
03-04-11, 01:58 PM
I think the promo to sign Hunt has backfired, Rugby League fans would have taken a look, for 5 mins and switched channels, saying NO THANKS.

This also makes Folau's signing even less effective after we have seen it with Hunt.

I just cant believe they went so badly, they have salary cap concessions and draft concessions and millions of AFL money.

Meanwhile the Titans were given no favours, no salary cap concessions and thankfully there is no draft in Rugby League. And we nearly won our first game, against the Dragons with something like 42,000 people there.

Steelers
03-04-11, 02:13 PM
I just cant believe they went so badly, they have salary cap concessions and draft concessions and millions of AFL money

I want to know why with all of that as an advantage, they had 12 debutants. Isn't that about half the team? Why did they not recruit more players with some sort of AFL experience?

DIEHARD
03-04-11, 02:29 PM
I want to know why with all of that as an advantage, they had 12 debutants. Isn't that about half the team? Why did they not recruit more players with some sort of AFL experience?

It is mind blowing, there must be heaps of players in state leagues. Or maybe AFL doesn't have anywhere near the depth that it pretends to.

The challenges of GCAFL17FC might make things tougher for GWS. Much like the crisis in soccer with Fury and GCU made the Western Sydney Rovers...well die.

DIEHARD
03-04-11, 02:29 PM
Speaking of Folau...

Izzy happy? NRL clubs keeping an eye on Folau

IT'S hard to tell if it's just those with an anti-AFL agenda pushing the line, but we are hearing that Israel Folau is not happy that he has made the switch from league. Take it as fact that several NRL teams are watching the Izzy situation closely. He would love to play under Wayne Bennett again one day. The teams who are most curious about his progress are those hunting Jamal Idris.

SMH

Boofhead
03-04-11, 05:15 PM
Titans get up, Sunburns fizzle - how good does it get.

Coaster
03-04-11, 06:00 PM
My father in law is a ex-Vic and Sun supporter. I sent him a text this morning " glad you had three daughters, because you suns are crap"

He didn't respond, lol

Boofhead
03-04-11, 06:28 PM
My father in law is a ex-Vic and Sun supporter. I sent him a text this morning " glad you had three daughters, because you suns are crap"

He didn't respond, lol

Haha thats fantastic.

DIEHARD
03-04-11, 08:48 PM

He didn't respond, lol

HAHAHA owned! :laugh:

Skyfire
04-04-11, 09:43 PM
Suns vs Lions will be the same night as Broncos versus Storm in Brisbane. They are currently both top of the NRL and playing well should be a huge game.

No free kicks for Aussie rules in QLD

Boofhead
05-04-11, 06:33 PM
Can't wait for the Sunburns to get smashed again this weekend!

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2011/04/03/1226032/785412-karmichael-hunt.jpg

DIEHARD
06-04-11, 03:23 PM
The surprising thing from Saturday's crowd was that only 6000 of the Suns' 12,000 members came to the game which meant there was a large cash-paying crowd prepared to make the trip up the highway.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/fans-in-show-of-support-for-suns/story-e6frepf6-1226034286545

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Only half of their membership could bother to travel to Brisbane for their first ever game?! Which was on a Saturday! :doh:

Steelers
23-04-11, 05:58 PM
Got home from work, turned on the TV and the AFL was on. GC Suns vs Port Adelaide. Don't usually watch AFL but couldn't be bothered changing the channel. 20 mins to go and GC were losing by about 40. 5 minutes to go and they were in the lead.

Hate to admit it but I was cheering on the Sunburns. I also hate to admit that I was enjoying watching an AFL game :laugh:

Coaster
23-04-11, 06:08 PM
I heard there team was full of kids. Does that mean it takes approx 240 min to be able to compete in AFL at the highest level?

DIEHARD
23-04-11, 06:34 PM
God that was a painful game to watch. So glad I'm a Rugby League fan. That sport is alien.

It is exactly like seagulls fighting over a chip. Port Adelaide are a joke, they completely imploded. And what is it with people carrying in like they are the Washington Generals and won a game? They are a professional AFL team with years of lead time, the AFLs cheque book and more concessions than you can poke a stick at.

I expect them to win alot more games this year.

How funny is Hunt. Even when he gets the ball he is too scared to kick it and hand passes it to another player. Yea that's what they pay him the big bucks for!

Coaster
23-04-11, 07:13 PM
I can't believe u 2 watched it. I watched a cracking QCup game

Steelers
23-04-11, 07:15 PM

I only saw the last quarter :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
24-04-11, 08:06 AM

Because it's the Australian game mate, the National game. With such silky skills and true athleticism that you wouldn't be familiar with being a thugby league fan. ;)

Nah damn it, I forgot the Jets game was on ABC! :mad:

DIEHARD
01-05-11, 01:55 PM
They need Roy and HG to call all Suns games. 2nd highest scoring 1/4 in AFL history, 1st was 1919...

TITAN PETE
02-05-11, 08:38 AM
What about the poor scorers :?) , I can see an RSI claim coming :rolf:

DIEHARD
02-05-11, 11:26 AM
Lions are gonna smash em in the "Q Clash 1"

What happened to the "Sunshine Stoush"? :( Did they realise that it was a stupid name like Gold Coast FC?

I don't have much faith in AFL marketing. :)

Steve Dangerous
10-05-11, 10:13 PM
I think the best idea for Suns/Titans is to co-operate.

Coaster
10-05-11, 10:26 PM

That would be great, let them start first.

You think the KHunt idea wasnt trying to target us?

Steelers
10-05-11, 10:52 PM
Lions are gonna smash em in the "Q Clash 1"

Lions are a joke. I put $10 on the Sunburns to win by 39 or less @ $10 :D

DIEHARD
11-05-11, 01:53 AM

STEVE DANGEROUS!!!! MY LIFE IS COMPLETE! WELCOME BACK MATE! IVE MISSED YOU! :salute:

Steelers
28-05-11, 08:40 PM
First Suns game at the new Carrara and they are beating the top of the table team at half time. KHunt kicked one hell of a goal and the crowd is electric. If the Titans don't start to improve and the Suns start to get on a roll then the Titans could very well be in trouble in terms of crowd numbers.

Now back to watching the Cowboys vs Roosters game :laugh:

Steve Dangerous
28-05-11, 10:46 PM
Well, the suns have a higher average home crowd by a few thousand, twice as many members, and are higher on the ladder. Plus the stadium looks very nice.

Coaster
28-05-11, 11:31 PM
Only 21k turned up to Suns.
If you think that is a good result from a team that has had millions spent on marketing and a brand new stadium built for them your kidding yourself.

Let's see how they are in 2 years

Steelers
28-05-11, 11:32 PM
The Suns capitulated in the 2nd half but I still see them being a real threat to the Titans in years to come.

Coaster
28-05-11, 11:37 PM
The Suns capitulated in the 2nd half but I still see them being a real threat to the Titans in years to come.

Of course they are, the AFL have unlimited resources to throw at them, and will give them a GF win just as they did the lions and swans.

DIEHARD
29-05-11, 08:17 AM
They must have spent half the $20million the AFL spoon feed them on the fireworks display.

But the crowd is concerning, it was a perfect day. And the crowd was heavily filled with Geelong fans.

But as Steve Dangerous says they will be a threat, but Brad/DIEHARD says BRING IT ON!

Coaster
30-05-11, 11:39 PM
The main difference between the AFL and NRL.
AFL spend millions on a team before they start
NRL expect them to be self reliant day one

AFL use there power to persuade government
NRL let the new club do all the work themselves

AFL pour unlimited funds into the new team
NRL announce to papers if a new team asks for a advance

AFL give massive cap concessions
NRL fine 76k for being less than 5k over the cap

AFL take control of the stadium
NRL won't lift a finger

AFL clubs all support the new team
NRL clubs try and derail it

AFL give favorable calls to the new team
NRL crack down on there tactics

AFL fans celebrate the new team
NRL fans ridicule the new team

AFL spend millions on good news stories
NRL owners run a smear campaign against a new team

I could go on

DIEHARD
31-05-11, 09:58 AM
I can go on...

AFL invest in stadiums, with a long term goal of strategic control
NRL pays rent

AFL own a radio station and have non-exclusive radio rights
NRL give exclusive rights to 2GB

AFL give salary cap exemptions to fast track success to frontier clubs (Lions 3 Premierships, Swans 1. 4 this century)
NRL give new teams and frontier teams no help

AFL get the gravy off Fox Sports
NRL made Fox Sports

AFL have a united national brand from auskicks to AFL
NRL have several brands and authorities in charge of grassroots

AFL take games overseas and actually do try to grow the game as ridiculous as it is, AFL clubs toe the line
NRL (rugby league) has a proper international tier but NRL clubs and fans canibalise it

AFL has a compliced Melbourne media who cover stuff up
NRL has a blood thirsty Sydney media who can smell blood

AFL fans cheer for their club
NRL fans support the game

Coaster
31-05-11, 11:51 AM
I can go on...

AFL fans cheer for their club
NRL fans support the game

Actually i think this is the other way around.

It plsses me off to think of the hard work Searle and Co. have done for the Titans, and how little the Suns have done.

Titan_Matchu
05-08-11, 06:54 AM
The main difference between the AFL and NRL.
AFL spend millions on a team before they start
NRL expect them to be self reliant day one

AFL use there power to persuade government
NRL let the new club do all the work themselves

AFL pour unlimited funds into the new team
NRL announce to papers if a new team asks for a advance

AFL give massive cap concessions
NRL fine 76k for being less than 5k over the cap

AFL take control of the stadium
NRL won't lift a finger

AFL clubs all support the new team
NRL clubs try and derail it

AFL give favorable calls to the new team
NRL crack down on there tactics

AFL fans celebrate the new team
NRL fans ridicule the new team

AFL spend millions on good news stories
NRL owners run a smear campaign against a new team

I could go on

The AFL spend millions on areas they want to take over. Have a look at 1997 and compare the advantages Brisbane Lions were given compared to Port Adelaide (both entered in 1997). The reason being they wanted a successful brand in Queensland, South Australia didn't matter because it was and still is AFL territory. I'm not sure what you were doing back in 2001-2004 but I remember the Lions getting quite a bit of support from people in South East Queensland. To further my point research into history and look into what happened to the Fitzroy Football Club(defunct Victorian club) at the end of 1996, I assure you if the AFL wanted to save them they could have.

You are right, the NRL expects teams to be fully self sufficient from day one. I guess that is why so many NRL teams have gone under Newtown, North Sydney, Gold Coast Giants, Gold Coast Chargers, Gold Coast Seagulls, Adelaide Rams(Proof the NRL can't expand into other parts of Australia, I'll go into this travesty if you want me to?), Perth Reds(another example of not being able to expand), South QLD, Hunter Mariners. Then you have all the teams they have had to merge I mean the list goes on and on. In the AFL there has been one merger and one team go under (Melbourne University were never going to survive anyway).

You want to tell me the Gold Coast Titans fully funded Skilled Park and the Centre of Ex?, get your hand off it mate the Titans have received more assistance from the QLD Government then the Suns have. Unlimited is not quite the right word for the funds the Suns receive, they get $20m from the AFL, 9.2m of which goes straight into the players hands. So essentially they are getting somewhere between 8-10m (after staff costs) a year to do community work and you are saying this is a bad thing?

In terms of an NRL team having to declare to newspapers when they ask for some cash look into what is currently happening in the AFL to Port Adelaide. It has been highly publicised in Australian media that Port Adeliade is going to receive $9m from the AFL over the next 3 years. In terms of actually being forced to announce that sort of stuff to the media then I guess that is what happens when News Limited owns 50% of your competition!

The cap exceptions for the Gold Coast Suns this year is merely 1.6m extra that will decrease over the next few years until they are on par with the rest of the AFL clubs. Western Sydney is going to follow the same structure next year so really I don't think that is a huge advantage to a team that is only allowed to sign at maximum 16 players with previous AFL experience. Imagine what the Titans would be like if over 60% of their players in their first year had never played in the NRL before. In terms of going over the cap have you even researched this? Brisbane Lions were fined $21k this year for being over the cap this year. St George were only fined $15k for their breach so the fines vary in both codes.

The Council owns Carrara Stadium not the AFL. It is true the AFL has a huge pull over stadiums such as the MCG but there is a reason the AFL finishes in early October, the Cricket season begins and in case you didn't know the Melbourne Cricket Club owns the MCG. In terms of the NRL clubs not lifting a finger to build a stadium that is probably why Skilled Park is so terribly built and does not reach international standards to host even a FIFA match. Oh also the stadium would basically have to be demolished to increase the size because of the way it has been built, oops.

I can't really see an issue with AFL clubs supporting each other, from their point of view the better product they provide the more money all of them make. Favorable calls? what are these favorable calls you speak of? If you watch the Collingwood v Suns match I guarantee you will think the umpires were being paid off by Collingwood with some of the calls they were coping. Watch some of the other AFL games where people have received suspensions for sling tackles and such, which is one of many things the AFL has cracked down on recently. I really think you need to do more research mate.

Celebration should be in order to a team that can successfully start up and compete week to week in the AFL. It is not an easy thing to do and we are seeing it this year with the Suns really struggling to keep up. I remember when the Titans started and lots of people outside of the GC were excited, including the NRL itself. Again NRL is owned by News Limited, they are thirsty blood sucking vultures that will do anything to get a buck. Controversy causes cash and in this case News Limited have a foot in the door by already owning 50% of the competition. The AFL tries to steer clear of being associated with media outlets from a business stand point but they are not immune either, the whole St Kilda school girl thing really tarnished the code a fair bit.

After assessing everything you have said here I come to the conclusion that you haven't researched enough to know what you are talking about and you have a warped view in what is really going on. Then again you probably think the Titans are going fine pulling 12,000 (almost definitely less than reported) people a week and being owned by two separate entities which will never publish how the team are going financially. Do your research and come back with some real arguments.

I just want to also point out I went to the Titans-Broncos first game this year at Skilled Park and then attended the Suns-Lions game later in the year and I can safely say the atmosphere at the AFL game was much better. Maybe you should give the Suns a go, your kids will be if they go through the school system here because of Auskick, a truly genius idea to win over the public from the kids upwards. Maybe the NRL will learn one day and introduce a junior program for kids that offers the sorts of stuff Auskick does. Maybe even a draft system too? So teams like the Brisbane Broncos don't sign every good player at the age of 15. I guess a rugby league fan can always dream.....

Coaster
05-08-11, 02:04 PM
Wow , what an essay, looks like you have your head well and truly `brainwashed congrats. Must be good to be a nice sheep and follow the company line.

Lets get started with this crap shall we.

The AFL spend millions on areas they want to take over. Have a look at 1997 and compare the advantages Brisbane Lions were given compared to Port Adelaide (both entered in 1997). The reason being they wanted a successful brand in Queensland,

Are you talking about the 3 premierships they were given?
I couldnt watch a sport that is no better then the WWE. They stack the deck in favor of these so called expansion team so that they have success, how does that effect other AFL supporters from other clubs? Do you whinge about it, or just lap it up because Sir Vlad says so?

To further my point research into history and look into what happened to the Fitzroy Football Club(defunct Victorian club) at the end of 1996, I assure you if the AFL wanted to save them they could have.

Are you talking about the Lions? The same team that still exists today in Brisbane? The same team that was handed 3 premierships to keep there support base happy? and to drum up this massive following in Brisbane and capture all the kids imaginations? WTF happened?

You are right, the NRL expects teams to be fully self sufficient from day one. I guess that is why so many NRL teams have gone under Newtown, North Sydney, Gold Coast Giants, Gold Coast Chargers, Gold Coast Seagulls, Adelaide Rams(Proof the NRL can't expand into other parts of Australia, I'll go into this travesty if you want me to?), Perth Reds(another example of not being able to expand), South QLD, Hunter Mariners.

Good work! a whole paragraph of teams and not 1 NRL team

In the AFL there has been one merger and one team go under (Melbourne University were never going to survive anyway).
South Melbourne relocated to Sydney Swans
Brisbane Bears Merged with the Fitzroy Lions
who the f*ck is Melbourne university?
Such massive expansion into 2 of the top 3 biggest markets in Australia, relocation of Melbourne teams.

You want to tell me the Gold Coast Titans fully funded Skilled Park and the Centre of Ex?

Care to point me where i said Titans funded Skilled park?

get your hand off it mate the Titans have received more assistance from the QLD Government then the Suns have.
Bullsh*t!
Care to explain

Unlimited is not quite the right word for the funds the Suns receive, they get $20m from the AFL, 9.2m of which goes straight into the players hands.

Does that figure include the extra funds given to players like Hunt?

The cap exceptions for the Gold Coast Suns this year is merely 1.6m extra that will decrease over the next few years until they are on par with the rest of the AFL clubs.
Again does this include extra payments given to guys like Hunt? NO!
Also how many extra draft picks do they get?
If your too stupid to see the AFL stacking the deck just like they did to Brisbane
Sydney
and Port Adelaide
and West Coast Eagles
Then you are kidding yourself, you try and justify watching a competition that has pre determined winners, and expect the people in Qld and NSW to swallow the cool aid and believe the tripe being dished out by the sport

In terms of going over the cap have you even researched this? Brisbane Lions were fined $21k this year for being over the cap this year. St George were only fined $15k for their breach so the fines vary in both codes.
Ever hear of the Melbourne Storm?
here is your equivalent
Sydney was fined the then-maximum $20,000 and stripped of a first-round draft pick after the first year when it was found to have paid out almost double the cap.
In 1996 Essendon revealed it had breached the salary cap by $514,500 between 1991-96.
Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-clubs-too-failed-to-keep-their-cap-on/story-e6frf9jf-1225857205651)
The AFL said there was no doubt Carlton was guilty of paying players under the table and thus breaching the salary cap in 2000 and 2001.
Link (http://www.afana.com/netpaper/nov23-06907.html)

So are the punishments similar?

The Council owns Carrara Stadium not the AFL.
But the AFL have management rights, and passed them to the Suns, something not heard of in any other stadium in Australia

In terms of the NRL clubs not lifting a finger to build a stadium that is probably why Skilled Park is so terribly built and does not reach international standards to host even a FIFA match.

Skilled park has allready hosted an International game, when is your international game against the potato farmers? with a round ball soccer posts, and throwing LOL

Maybe you could play the Kiwis at metricon LOL
http://www.aussierulesinternational.com/freestyler/files/generated/haka_470cf1e463a4f_w480.jpg

Oh also the stadium would basically have to be demolished to increase the size because of the way it has been built, oops.
Maybe you should research this a bit better LOL

The AFL tries to steer clear of being associated with media outlets from a business stand point but they are not immune either, the whole St Kilda school girl thing really tarnished the code a fair bit.
This is what disgusts me about this code, it was not the medias fault 2 players and a manager had sex with an underage girl you friggin moron

I just want to also point out I went to the Titans-Broncos first game this year at Skilled Park and then attended the Suns-Lions game later in the year and I can safely say the atmosphere at the AFL game was much better.

That is because your a AFL fan, if you like hanging out with 70 year old ex victorians, screaming BALLLLLLL every 5 secs then all the power to you,

Maybe you should give the Suns a go, your kids will be if they go through the school system here because of Auskick, a truly genius idea to win over the public from the kids upwards.

Want some stats on participation numbers for touch football to Auskick?
The difference is if someone plays Touch footy we dont claim they have NRL experience.

TITAN PETE
06-08-11, 09:19 AM
Boom u just got owned Matchu :rolf: , well done Coaster :salute:

Toads
06-08-11, 10:46 AM
LMAO, That response is pretty damn amusing, Coaster.. :laugh:

eelectrica
06-08-11, 05:09 PM
Apparently the circus act known as the Suns got towelled up again :banana:

TitansVic
07-08-11, 02:18 PM
Anyone notice that the Suns have dropped nearly 10, 000 average attendance already this year?
My sister lives back home in goldie, i live in Victoria now and i've seen more Suns (gurnseys?) than she has ahahaha!

But really, we shouldn't laugh at the inferior product, lets be gracious in victory.
AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA KIDDING!
What jokes.

Imagine them next year when they still suck and we're fielding a much better team.

I predict a merger with the Brisbane Bears within 10 years. Bring on the Western Corridor bid or B2 so we can crush them faster.

Go the Titans and F*&K THE SUNS!

Titan_Matchu
07-08-11, 03:17 PM
Boom u just got owned Matchu , well done Coaster

Far from it mate, if you read my post he only responded to the parts that he felt he could argue about. His arguments are weak and lack real substance or evidence. Lots of accusations being made without any real substance but living on the Gold Coast and listening to Rugby League fans my whole life I have gotten used to that.

Are you talking about the 3 premierships they were given?
I couldnt watch a sport that is no better then the WWE. They stack the deck in favor of these so called expansion team so that they have success, how does that effect other AFL supporters from other clubs? Do you whinge about it, or just lap it up because Sir Vlad says so?

I don't recall them handing premierships to Brisbane at the start of the season, if by getting handed you mean these advantages expansion clubs receive then you are way off. Two years earlier Fremantle entered the competition and still to this day have not won a premiership. It is true that they were given some advantages in terms of scheduling but nothing to warrant cheating premierships unlike a certain melbourne-based rugby league club I know of....

Are you talking about the Lions? The same team that still exists today in Brisbane? The same team that was handed 3 premierships to keep there support base happy? and to drum up this massive following in Brisbane and capture all the kids imaginations? WTF happened?

Yeah I am talking about the Fitzroy Lions Football Club. The team that still exists and plays in local football league in Victoria. This team in Brisbane is an amalgamation of both the 1996 Bears and Lions that formed a NEW footy club. Once the Brisbane Broncos started winning again (2006) the Lions struggled to compete with a traditional rugby league area having barely any results on the field since 2004. That is not to say they don't have support. Lions have 20,000 members and Broncos only have about 15,000 or so.

Good work! a whole paragraph of teams and not 1 NRL team

Don't know your history mate? Most of them played in the NRL at one point. Adelaide Rams folded after the 1998 NRL season, Gold Coast Chargers folded after the 1998 NRL season, North Sydney Bears folded after the 1999 NRL season, Newtown Jets left after the 1983 NSWRL season. The super league year saw the death of the South QLD Crushers, Hunter Mariners and Perth Reds.

South Melbourne relocated to Sydney Swans
Brisbane Bears Merged with the Fitzroy Lions
who the f*ck is Melbourne university?
Such massive expansion into 2 of the top 3 biggest markets in Australia, relocation of Melbourne teams.

Didn't say anything about relocations but if you want to get into that South Melbourne were the only ones. Melbourne University played in the AFL around 100 years ago and to this day are the only team to ever compete in the VFL/AFL and not still have a presence. They are still expanding into those markets. A team just started here and there is a team in West Sydney starting next year. The Brisbane Lions Football Club is not a Victorian club, they are a merger of a Victorian club and a Brisbane club to form a new Brisbane club. As I stated before the Fitzroy Football Club still exists.

Care to point me where i said Titans funded Skilled park?

You were saying the AFL use their power to persuade the Government but the Titans did the same thing when Skilled Park was built.

Bullsh*t!
Care to explain

The only funding the QLD government that has been directed at the Suns was the redevelopment of Carrara which cost $144m. Skilled Park cost $160m. Looks like pretty straight forward maths to me. I would think the Government or the NRL would have paid for a lot of the Centre of Ex as well.

Does that figure include the extra funds given to players like Hunt?

This is the biggest misconception about Karmichael. The Suns are paying him 250,000 a year (average AFL contract) and the AFL are paying him the 750,000 for his marketing which includes travelling around in Pacific Islands promoting the game in the off season.

Again does this include extra payments given to guys like Hunt? NO!

Karmichael falls into an exception in the rules where if you have not played in the AFL or professionally at any level for 2 years and you get signed by an AFL side your salary falls outside of the salary cap.

Also how many extra draft picks do they get?
If your too stupid to see the AFL stacking the deck just like they did to Brisbane
Sydney
and Port Adelaide
and West Coast Eagles
Then you are kidding yourself, you try and justify watching a competition that has pre determined winners, and expect the people in Qld and NSW to swallow the cool aid and believe the tripe being dished out by the sport

They did it for Brisbane Bears where they gave them the first 6 draft picks and the team ended up failing so you can't say that worked. The Brisbane Lions were given normal draft picks in when they entered. Nothing changed when Sydney moved in 1982 and West Coast only received direct access to West Aussie players who played for WAFL clubs which is now called a zonal pick and still exists. This is the one that really pisses me off and makes me really know you have no idea because Port Adelaide were the direct losers of this when the Brisbane Lions received "advantages". Mate you have just quoted all the inter-state premiers in the last 10 years and just presumed it happened. DO THE RESEARCH. If it is all predetermined then please explain Geelong and Collingwood's success? If you say the draft then you are dead wrong because Richmond and Carlton should have both won a premiership by now.

Ever hear of the Melbourne Storm?
here is your equivalent
Sydney was fined the then-maximum $20,000 and stripped of a first-round draft pick after the first year when it was found to have paid out almost double the cap.
In 1996 Essendon revealed it had breached the salary cap by $514,500 between 1991-96.
Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-clubs-too-failed-to-keep-their-cap-on/story-e6frf9jf-1225857205651)
The AFL said there was no doubt Carlton was guilty of paying players under the table and thus breaching the salary cap in 2000 and 2001.
Link (http://www.afana.com/netpaper/nov23-06907.html)

So are the punishments similar?

First of all that Sydney Swans incident occured in 1987. Secondly it was $60,000 not $20,000 and thirdly $60,000 was worth a lot more in 1987. The stuff you have quoted is all pretty old if you go a bit more recent (in the last 10 years) you'll see in 2003 the Brisbane Lions were fined $260,000 for late lodgement! The record is $987,000 to Carlton in 2002, so the AFL are not scared to fine clubs big amounts.

But the AFL have management rights, and passed them to the Suns, something not heard of in any other stadium in Australia

The only reason they have management rights is because the AFL actually invested into the stadium. Something the NRL would never do because for some reason they don't like to support their clubs that make them billions of dollars. Where is the logic? I guess the NRL is based in Sydney that is notorious for being blood sucking.

Skilled park has allready hosted an International game, when is your international game against the potato farmers? with a round ball soccer posts, and throwing LOL

There was supposed to be a Socceroos match in 2008 at Skilled Park and then... it didn't happen. The stadium doesn't reach international standards. Sure the RFL or ARL might see Skilled Park as okay but a real sporting body like FIFA won't touch it. You'll be unhappy to know they are actually playing the International Rules game against Ireland at Metricon this year. Something tells me it will sell out and you will be eating humble pie my friend.

Maybe you should research this a bit better LOL

The stadium is semi-enclosed, the roof would have to be removed and it would cost a lot of money that the QLD government would be unlikely to give so close to when it was built. Where as Metricon is going to be upgraded to 40,000 when we get the Commonwealth Games in 2018.

This is what disgusts me about this code, it was not the medias fault 2 players and a manager had sex with an underage girl you friggin moron

I never said it was the media's fault? I was simply showing that the AFL doesn't have the cleanest name either.

That is because your a AFL fan, if you like hanging out with 70 year old ex victorians, screaming BALLLLLLL every 5 secs then all the power to you,

I do like AFL but once upon a time I was a massive Titans fan and attended about 7 games in 2008. You might notice I am a little bit more knowledgeable about Rugby League than your average AFL fan. It is because I used to be an NRL fan, look at when I joined this forum and look at my posts prior to 2010, you will clearly see I was an NRL fan. I have attended an NRL game this year and an AFL game and I am being completely honest about it but you will never accept what I say.

Want some stats on participation numbers for touch football to Auskick?
The difference is if someone plays Touch footy we dont claim they have NRL experience.

Touch footy is different, it is it's own sport. Has it's own governing body and hosts it's own world cup and everything. Get a look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch_football_(rugby_league).

DIEHARD
23-04-13, 01:22 AM
The code's showpiece in Queensland, the round 3 Q Clash, attracted a meagre crowd of 12,961 and a national audience of 83,500 viewers on the 7Mate digital channel.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/false-dawn-for-sinking-suns-lions/story-e6frepj6-1226626345757

Sydney Titans Fanatic
23-04-13, 01:58 AM
just read Titan_Matchu post lol havent laughed so hard in ages haha

CoastSportsFan
10-06-13, 10:34 PM
I don't think anyone will be laughing at the Suns anymore. They seem to be in the box seat to win a lot of matches over the next few years. Will probably win a premiership before the Titans too.

Toads
10-06-13, 11:31 PM
I don't think anyone will be laughing at the Suns anymore. They seem to be in the box seat to win a lot of matches over the next few years. Will probably win a premiership before the Titans too.

Have they cracked 100 points in a game yet?

DIEHARD
10-06-13, 11:46 PM

Is that you Clive? LOL

CoastSportsFan
11-06-13, 12:52 PM
Have they cracked 100 points in a game yet?

Just looking through their history they have done it five times but have reach the 80s and 90s plenty of times. Don't know why there is so much animosity towards them unless you aren't from the Gold Coast? I, for one, want both Gold Coast teams to succeed and don't believe this BS the media spouts to us about hating codes. Support your community or we'll lose even more teams like the Blaze and Gold Coast United.

Toads
11-06-13, 01:47 PM
Just looking through their history they have done it five times but have reach the 80s and 90s plenty of times. Don't know why there is so much animosity towards them unless you aren't from the Gold Coast? I, for one, want both Gold Coast teams to succeed and don't believe this BS the media spouts to us about hating codes. Support your community or we'll lose even more teams like the Blaze and Gold Coast United.

Cool..

Never been to the Gold Coast, Mum won't let me. What's the animosity like between the two codes?

CoastSportsFan
11-06-13, 01:59 PM
Cool..

Never been to the Gold Coast, Mum won't let me. What's the animosity like between the two codes?

Probably similar to what it's like north of Brisbane. I presumed you were from the Gold Coast but it would appear you aren't. As a Queenslander, you should have some sort of hope they do well, right? Or are you one of those code haters that hates AFL and Union because you are told to by the media?

Toads
11-06-13, 02:19 PM
Probably similar to what it's like north of Brisbane. I presumed you were from the Gold Coast but it would appear you aren't. As a Queenslander, you should have some sort of hope they do well, right? Or are you one of those code haters that hates AFL and Union because you are told to by the media?

Not a Code Hater at all. If you were prepared to look back through my posts you'd find I'm open to all of them. Especially any Gold Coast team that competed in any National Comp. Only thing I can say about AFL is I don't get it. I've tried numerous times, and especially with the Suns inaugural year, but it's not for me.

Even had a couple old school mates back in high school try and teach me many moons ago (early 80's Keebra Park). But every time I went play at the ball or kick it. They'd scream out 'kicking in danger'. By the end of that I found it easier just to stand there 'n watch the ball dribble pass me if it came anywhere near me. What's a bloke to do?

Coaster
13-06-13, 07:37 AM

The animosity from me arises because I am told I have to like the sport.

This is a league forum. If you wish to follow AFL. Good luck and have fun, but do not come on here preaching like a religious zealot.

TITAN PETE
13-06-13, 08:58 AM

This is a league forum. If you wish to follow AFL. Good luck and have fun, but do not come on here preaching like a religious zealot.

:thumbsup: :laugh:

CoastSportsFan
13-06-13, 02:58 PM

Who told you that you have to like the sport? If anything it seems to me like the biased NSW and QLD journalists tell us to hate the sport because of the pulling power they have with governments. I understand it is a league forum and I have posted about league stuff in the past but this particular part of the forum is intended to discuss other sports and this thread is about the Gold Coast Suns so I don't see why you are so surpised about that?

I wasn't so much preaching as much as I was trying to get someone to see that the one-eyed nature of people in this city has cost as many sports teams. I just hate seeing these teams go under because it not only decreases the chances of the sport ever coming back but also gets Gold Coasters out of jobs. I just can't see why people would want that to happen? Put your personal differences aside and think about the impact this has on peoples every day life. You don't have to watch it, you don't have to like it but you should at least be supportive of a team from the Gold Coast, regardless of whether you like the sport or not.

Toads
13-06-13, 03:34 PM
Who told you that you have to like the sport? If anything it seems to me like the biased NSW and QLD journalists tell us to hate the sport because of the pulling power they have with governments. I understand it is a league forum and I have posted about league stuff in the past but this particular part of the forum is intended to discuss other sports and this thread is about the Gold Coast Suns so I don't see why you are so surpised about that?

I wasn't so much preaching as much as I was trying to get someone to see that the one-eyed nature of people in this city has cost as many sports teams. I just hate seeing these teams go under because it not only decreases the chances of the sport ever coming back but also gets Gold Coasters out of jobs. I just can't see why people would want that to happen? Put your personal differences aside and think about the impact this has on peoples every day life. You don't have to watch it, you don't have to like it but you should at least be supportive of a team from the Gold Coast, regardless of whether you like the sport or not.

Wow, I was going to comment to this. But I'm deadset lost on which point to start on.. :laugh:

*Stands aside 'n leaves this one with Coaster*

CoastSportsFan
28-08-13, 03:44 PM
SUNS titan their tackling pressure (http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/news/2013-08-28/suns-titan-their-tackling-pressure.workstation)

Video footage of the boys at Carrara today training with the Suns. Looking back through this thread, there was so much hate for the Suns and people laughing at a team that was full of kids developing. Steve Dangerous said it best:

The two teams are working together, so why can't the supporters?

DIEHARD
28-08-13, 04:26 PM
Because the AFL believe in imperialism. I'm not interested myself but I encourage anyone to follow whatever sport they want.

I'm all for Gold Coast sports working together because pragmatically the body count is far too high. Blaze, Aces, GCU and the Chargers who were culled even though they were profitable. And also the failed Brisbane Bears who used to be based at Carrara.

I'm all for both codes working together with scheduling to ensure sports fans are given max opportunity to participate and that we get max benefit from the investment of gov money into sports facilities.

DIEHARD
28-08-13, 04:38 PM
Because Im a good sport Ive changed the name of the thread to Gold Coast Suns from GC Sunburns.

CoastSportsFan
28-08-13, 06:40 PM
Because Im a good sport Ive changed the name of the thread to Gold Coast Suns from GC Sunburns.

Impressed with your attitude mate. The death count of GC sports teams is definitely too high and working together will help never see the Suns or Titans go under. To take a saying out of the Suns book - Together We Are Stronger.

A mini breakthrough in this thread and how people view them might see actual conversation about how the Suns are trekking. I'll kick it off. They've had 7 wins this season and will probably finish 14th on the ladder.

Don't be put off by the Suns and just start laughing at them again. Lets have a civil conversation about our neighbours. If you can't do that, you probably shouldn't be posting here.

DIEHARD
28-08-13, 08:55 PM
Don't be put off by the Suns and just start laughing at them again. Lets have a civil conversation about our neighbours. If you can't do that, you probably shouldn't be posting here.

The best thing that has happened to the Suns is GWS. They are the new primary object of my ridicule.

CoastSportsFan
28-08-13, 11:08 PM
The best thing that has happened to the Suns is GWS. They are the new primary object of my ridicule.

Fair call. It probably helps the Suns cause that they are no longer getting belted each week and have a respectable amount of wins this season. GWS are an easy target but I guess it's like any team on the bottom of any ladder. Ridicule will come if your team is not performing. I certainly remember when we picked up the spoon two years ago and people didn't go easy on us.

I wonder how the GC public would react if both the Titans and Suns were doing well at the same time. It'd be pretty awesome if both clubs were selling out games every week.

CoastSportsFan
10-02-14, 04:05 PM
Just a week to go until the Suns are back on the park against Essendon at Metricon. Yes, I know a lot of you don't care but hopefully someone on this forum is willing to discuss it (in a non-abusive way). I would discuss other Aussie sports as well but I'm not a huge fan of cricket.

C-Whiz
10-02-14, 08:33 PM
I would discuss other Aussie sports as well but I'm not a huge fan of cricket.
OK, since you seem to spend A LOT OF TIME on here trying to promote AFL/Suns,
so why don't you tell us which sports your are actually a fan of.

Given you call yourself CoastSportFan and all.... :nope

CoastSportsFan
10-02-14, 08:40 PM
OK, since you seem to spend A LOT OF TIME on here trying to promote AFL/Suns,
so why don't you tell us which sports your are actually a fan of.

Given you call yourself CoastSportFan and all.... :nope

We've only got two sports team on the GC...

I like soccer and basketball as well. Was never really into Gold Coast United but I do like Brisbane and fancy their chances to win another double this year. I like the GC Blaze but ever since they went under I've taken more notice of the NBA. Kevin Durant is probably my fav player right now.

C-Whiz
10-02-14, 08:54 PM
We've only got two sports team on the GC...

I like soccer and basketball as well. Was never really into Gold Coast United but I do like Brisbane and fancy their chances to win another double this year. I like the GC Blaze but ever since they went under I've taken more notice of the NBA. Kevin Durant is probably my fav player right now.OK, help me out, I'm a slow learner....

You call yourself CoastSportsFan, but there are only 4 sports you are really a "fan" of... even though you only "like" 2 of them. And it seems you are always playing the other 2 sports you are actually a "fan" of against each other any chance you get.

Not much of a "fan" are you. Yet you post pages of diatribe about what being a fan is all about. :rolleyes:

I would say trolling is easily your favourite sport. :boo:

Good luck champ.

CoastSportsFan
10-02-14, 10:29 PM
OK, help me out, I'm a slow learner....

You call yourself CoastSportsFan, but there are only 4 sports you are really a "fan" of... even though you only "like" 2 of them. And it seems you are always playing the other 2 sports you are actually a "fan" of against each other any chance you get.

Not much of a "fan" are you. Yet you post pages of diatribe about what being a fan is all about. :rolleyes:

I would say trolling is easily your favourite sport. :boo:

Good luck champ.

I didn't realise I had to like a certain amount of sports to be considered a fan of sports...

The reason I compare the two teams on the Gold Coast is because they are pretty much neck and neck and it's interesting to me. Why is it so hard to believe that someone would enjoy both league and AFL? I don't buy into the BS the media write about the codes being at war. I appreciate each sport for what it is and I am grateful we have both an NRL and AFL team on the GC.

kioli
10-02-14, 11:43 PM
Is CSF still pretending to be a lover of all sports on the GC? Lol, wow.

I must've missed all of those threads he started about the GCRL, car racing threads, ironman and surf life saving threads, former ice hockey and basketball teams, etc, etc, etc.
Instead when you skim through his post history it's almost impossible to find a single submission that doesn't somehow link itself back to the Suns...

Seriously though, I'll never understand the kind of utter loser mentality of people that spend years of their lives to join and participate in forums about subjects they just don't like, simply so they can get some attention from some people they'll never meet...

GCT_89
24-02-14, 10:59 PM
Sad game on Sunday, Suns got toweled up by the Lions...
Puts a dampener on the thrilling on-the-buzzer win against Essendon last week...

CoastSportsFan
28-02-14, 04:23 PM
Sad game on Sunday, Suns got toweled up by the Lions...
Puts a dampener on the thrilling on-the-buzzer win against Essendon last week...

Wow, someone who is willing to talk about the Suns without hurling abuse their way. Obviously you watched both of their preseason games this year, what do you think of their chances in 2014? Do you think they'll play finals?

I think they play Collingwood at home in two days so that should be a good indicator of where they stand.

GCT_89
28-02-14, 05:09 PM
Wow, someone who is willing to talk about the Suns without hurling abuse their way. Obviously you watched both of their preseason games this year, what do you think of their chances in 2014? Do you think they'll play finals?

I think they play Collingwood at home in two days so that should be a good indicator of where they stand.

I personally think they would have to perform a miracle or two to be in finals contention...

I don't fancy their chances at all... I believe they really need to clean up their game and put a few wins together without GAblett before I consider them a finals playing team...

But as long as they stay off the bottom of the ladder and play a clean exciting game then ill still watch them...

The game-day experience at Metricon is far above what many NRL fans would expect...but each to their won...:thumbsup:

CoastSportsFan
28-02-14, 05:26 PM
I personally think they would have to perform a miracle or two to be in finals contention...

I don't fancy their chances at all... I believe they really need to clean up their game and put a few wins together without GAblett before I consider them a finals playing team...

But as long as they stay off the bottom of the ladder and play a clean exciting game then ill still watch them...

The game-day experience at Metricon is far above what many NRL fans would expect...but each to their won...:thumbsup:

Fair call about Ablett. I don't think they've won a game without him but then again he is the best player in the game so obviously it would be a big blow to any team if they lost him.

They won 8 games last year. Do you think they'll win more, less or stay around the same this year?

I know what you mean about game day experience at Metricon. It's a lot better than the old Carrara days when the Titans were based there. I think it's just one of those things that people don't realise until they experience it themselves. Very fan orientated.

GCT_89
28-02-14, 05:38 PM
They won 8 games last year. Do you think they'll win more, less or stay around the same this year?

I think 8-10 is a fair call but just missing out on finals...

CoastSportsFan
28-02-14, 05:45 PM
I think 8-10 is a fair call but just missing out on finals...

Yeah I agree. You go to Metricon often? Wouldn't it be great if the Suns and Titans didn't clash at any time through the year so we could enjoy both sports live?

CoastSportsFan
13-03-14, 01:31 PM
Is anyone on here going to the Suns game this Saturday? I'm going to both the Suns and Titans games because they are played on separate days. Hoping both Gold Coast teams tear the Tigers apart!

GCT_89
13-03-14, 02:48 PM
Yea Richmond and Balmain both leaving the Coast with a loss this week...

CoastSportsFan
13-03-14, 03:52 PM
Yea Richmond and Balmain both leaving the Coast with a loss this week...

That would be great. Are you going to either game?

GCT_89
14-03-14, 01:10 PM
That would be great. Are you going to either game?

Busy sat, so just going to the Titans game this weekend....

C-Whiz
16-03-14, 10:40 AM
I put some dollars on the Suns just so i had a reason to have some interest in the game last night, and I tired to watch it, but apart from the fact that it was delayed by what seemed like an eternity because I had to listen to the jobber commentary team every time I switched back to see if it had actually started, once the game actually started (does anyone know why it was delayed?) I found it to be just tedious.

I switched back to it after about 5 hours when there was only about 5 minutes to go, and there was some passages of play when GC Suns actually managed to pass it and kick it to their teammates without it being fumbled around, but honestly, I could not sit through a whole game of it. I'm just happy the Suns won, because I got some good odds for 1-39 (yep, thats the AFL equivalent of NRL 1-12 I guess) but apart from that I wouldn't go to a game unless someone else was paying for all the alcohol i would need to consume to keep me there.

CoastSportsFan
16-03-14, 02:14 PM
It was a good win for the Suns and the atmosphere at Metricon last night was amazing. Hoping the Titans make it 2 for 2 in Gold Coast-Tigers matches this weekend.

CoastSportsFan
16-03-14, 06:19 PM
Unfortunately we couldn't score the double win over the Tigers this weekend. One GC team in the top 8 and the other drops out.

GCT_89
16-03-14, 08:48 PM
I put some dollars on the Suns just so i had a reason to have some interest in the game last night, and I tired to watch it, but apart from the fact that it was delayed by what seemed like an eternity because I had to listen to the jobber commentary team every time I switched back to see if it had actually started, once the game actually started (does anyone know why it was delayed?) I found it to be just tedious.

The delay was a knock on effect from the GWSvSwans game which had trouble with severe lighting... (yes they delay the game in order to show all games live,something the nrl could learn).

I found the game quite enjoyable except for the 3rd quarter... I mean i probs could have actually fell asleep in the 3rd it was that boring...

But they got the win, which is a better effort than the Titans put in.... (weather conditions were much different though)

CoastSportsFan
20-03-14, 12:50 PM
Looks like the Suns have this weekend off before heading over to Perth to face last year's runner-ups Fremantle. That'll be a good barometer of where they stand in the league given Fremantle are probably the favourites for the premiership.

CoastSportsFan
05-04-14, 12:41 PM
Anyone heading to the Suns-Lions game at Metricon today? Should be a good crowd if the rain holds off.

It'll be interesting to see who are the kings of Queensland (in AFL) with this game.

DIEHARD
05-04-14, 04:22 PM
Hands off the term we created.

CoastSportsFan
06-04-14, 01:32 AM
If I'm being honest, I think you are a bigot DH. Just sayin'

Toads
06-04-14, 09:41 AM
This must the only Gold Coast Suns thread in existence, anywhere..

Hopefully they'll get there own forum one day.

TITAN PETE
06-04-14, 10:14 AM

Think u may have poked the Dragon

GCT_89
06-04-14, 10:18 AM
I may not agree with it, but on this forum the winner of the two Qld AFL teams would be the Queens of Queensland.....

DIEHARD
06-04-14, 06:58 PM

Harsh words. And unfair. I'd remind you that Im the guy who helps you not being banned for being a troll and who graciously changed the name of this very thread from GC Sunburns to Gold Coast Suns. Thanks!

DIEHARD
06-04-14, 07:00 PM
Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot: someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats or views other people with fear, distrust or hatred on the basis of a person's opinion, ethnicity, evaluative orientation, race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, socioeconomic status, or other characteristics.

You are a ****wit for throwing around words like that in trivial contexts.

TITAN PETE
06-04-14, 07:28 PM
I warned him Brad

CoastSportsFan
07-04-14, 02:22 PM
Harsh words. And unfair. I'd remind you that Im the guy who helps you not being banned for being a troll and who graciously changed the name of this very thread from GC Sunburns to Gold Coast Suns. Thanks!
Indeed you did.

You are a ****wit for throwing around words like that in trivial contexts.
You've made your prejudices towards the AFL/Suns very clear in this thread and I don't think you've been fair to others that may be interested in the sport. You're allowed to dislike the AFL but why should someone else cop it just because they take an interest in it? It's not as if I'm only posting about the AFL. Titans are top of the ladder right now so we should all be excited about this season's prospects. I'm equally as interested in the Suns who sit in the top 8 too.

DIEHARD
07-04-14, 02:47 PM
Oh heaven's you poor dear. Must be so hard being a Victorian and living a life of persecution. :laugh:

I've actually given this thread a wide berth since changing it's name.

Because the AFL believe in imperialism. I'm not interested myself but I encourage anyone to follow whatever sport they want.

I'm all for Gold Coast sports working together because pragmatically the body count is far too high. Blaze, Aces, GCU and the Chargers who were culled even though they were profitable. And also the failed Brisbane Bears who used to be based at Carrara.

I'm all for both codes working together with scheduling to ensure sports fans are given max opportunity to participate and that we get max benefit from the investment of gov money into sports facilities.

But the truth is you are a troll and many of the users here have picked up on many trends, peculiarities, absences and characteristics of your posting. Your constant attempts at trying to segue into mentioning the AFL at any chance, in any thread are pathetic. And the lion's share of your contributions fixate over crowd figures.

Coaster
07-04-14, 04:10 PM
Indeed you did.

You've made your prejudices towards the AFL/Suns very clear in this thread and I don't think you've been fair to others that may be interested in the sport. You're allowed to dislike the AFL but why should someone else cop it just because they take an interest in it? It's not as if I'm only posting about the AFL. Titans are top of the ladder right now so we should all be excited about this season's prospects. I'm equally as interested in the Suns who sit in the top 8 too.

1 point

TITAN PETE
07-04-14, 04:37 PM
1 point

For missing ?

Coaster
07-04-14, 04:55 PM
For missing ?

Yes hahahha

Titanic
08-04-14, 04:05 PM
And the lion's share of your contributions fixate over crowd figures.
DH, I think you shouldn't promote the other Brisvegas manifestation, you should have typed " the glutton's share" also there is a misprint in the title of this thread which should read Gold Coast Bums. Oh I forgot, I am a sports bigot and a rugby league deviant for any who care to wonder.

Hail Sezer
08-04-14, 04:14 PM
How have I missed this thread? So much entertainment to be had, fun for the whole family

Kaysea
09-04-14, 05:02 PM
A group of us headed down to Melbourne for the game last weekend.
Took ourselves along to the Geelong/Collingwood match at the MCG on the Saturday night - great night - sitting in amongst a passionate crowd of 63,000 - amazing.
Then topping the weekend off with the win in Melbourne - not a bad trip!

CoastSportsFan
10-04-14, 01:55 PM
That's a cool story Kaysea. One time I went down to Sydney to watch a Manly game and I attended a Swans game the next day. It's fun to mix it up every now and again and experience everything a city has to offer.

Suns play Hawthorn this Sat night at home so that should give a good idea of where they stand in the league against the defending premiers. Anyone planning on doing the NRL-AFL double this weekend? I'm thinking I will.

CoastSportsFan
24-04-14, 02:46 PM
Anyone planning to head out to the Suns home game on Saturday arvo? They are playing the boys from western Sydney so it should be interesting to see how the two expansion clubs have progressed. If the Suns were to belt them (possible) then they could move as high as 2nd on the ladder.

Mexican titan
28-04-14, 08:10 PM
Crowd announced as 11,500. Joke, and even the AFL writer in the Sunday paper referred to the crowd as 'alleged". Crowd was 6,000 at absolute tops.
Interested in your opinion CSF.

Mexican titan
30-04-14, 06:09 PM
CoastSportsfan, or other people that know more about AFL than me.....do you think it's about time the Suns stopped their fixation with keeping Karmichael Hunt away from the NRL and cut their losses or do you really think he is worth persisting with. He has been great in propaganda value but has not paid his way from a player value point of view and with so many Suns younger players developing further and appears to be wasting his time in AFL. McKenna and others keep stringing him along but is it time to stop the charade and admit he gained the AFL good press coverage but that it's time to cut him free.
Answer it from the player value perspective, not from the point that it was an expensive failure and seeing it as a "win" for the NRL if he returns.

CoastSportsFan
30-04-14, 06:52 PM
CoastSportsfan, or other people that know more about AFL than me.....do you think it's about time the Suns stopped their fixation with keeping Karmichael Hunt away from the NRL and cut their losses or do you really think he is worth persisting with. He has been great in propaganda value but has not paid his way from a player value point of view and with so many Suns younger players developing further and appears to be wasting his time in AFL. McKenna and others keep stringing him along but is it time to stop the charade and admit he gained the AFL good press coverage but that it's time to cut him free.
Answer it from the player value perspective, not from the point that it was an expensive failure and seeing it as a "win" for the NRL if he returns.

I think Karmichael's time at the Suns is just about up. Outside of him being the first player to win both an AFL and NRL premiership, I can't see much reason for him to stay. A lot of the younger players have gone past him and I'm not sure he is anything more than a fringe player these days. If I had to guess right now I'd say he'll be back in the NRL next year and probably with the Broncos.

That's not to say he won't play again this year. I firmly believe the club wants to get him to 50 games (7 games away) so I expect him to play in the AFL again this year. If he wants to stay then I think the Gold Coast and the AFL will make it happen but my guess is that he doesn't want to anymore hence why I think he'll be in the NRL next year.

Mexican titan
30-04-14, 08:00 PM
I think Karmichael's time at the Suns is just about up. Outside of him being the first player to win both an AFL and NRL premiership, I can't see much reason for him to stay. A lot of the younger players have gone past him and I'm not sure he is anything more than a fringe player these days. If I had to guess right now I'd say he'll be back in the NRL next year and probably with the Broncos.

That's not to say he won't play again this year. I firmly believe the club wants to get him to 50 games (7 games away) so I expect him to play in the AFL again this year. If he wants to stay then I think the Gold Coast and the AFL will make it happen but my guess is that he doesn't want to anymore hence why I think he'll be in the NRL next year.

Thanks for your response. Seems like we share the same opinion.
The Suns might like to get him up to 50 games but if they are pushing for the 8, which I expect them to be for at least most of the season, he will not get game time. They might want to keep him interested but they wont do that if there is a potential finals spot on the line.

CoastSportsFan
01-05-14, 03:08 PM
Thanks for your response. Seems like we share the same opinion.
The Suns might like to get him up to 50 games but if they are pushing for the 8, which I expect them to be for at least most of the season, he will not get game time. They might want to keep him interested but they wont do that if there is a potential finals spot on the line.

Injuries to other players will play a part in the amount of games he'll play this season but I see your point about not risking a finals spot just to get him to 50 games. Then again, I think they can win with him in the team so it wouldn't surprise me if he got a game soon. The Suns coach seems to really back him. K's fitness base is really what is holding him back. He has done four pre-seasons with the Suns now and still regularly locks up and cramps during games. Your fitness levels need to be through the roof (especially running wise) to play in the AFL and I think not growing up with the game has hurt him in that regard. Israel Folau had the same problem. Absolutely hated the long distance running.

If he does go back to the NRL then he'll be one of the fittest blokes in the competition and I'm sure he'll do well.

CoastSportsFan
02-05-14, 03:37 PM
Pretty important game for the Suns this weekend against North Melbourne who sit one spot higher than them on the ladder (through percentage). There is a good chance the Suns will enter the top 4 (for the first time) if they win this Sunday. It would be the first time both Gold Coast clubs have been in the top 4 at the same time!

It's hard to not get excited about both GC teams if you are a local.

GCT_89
04-05-14, 03:56 PM
Great win from the Suns just now, beating North Melbourne at Etihad by 43 points....
Not just a rookie team anymore some could say...

CoastSportsFan
05-05-14, 01:10 PM
Great win from the Suns just now, beating North Melbourne at Etihad by 43 points....
Not just a rookie team anymore some could say...

The media seem to be working it up to be a real turning point for the Suns and are now saying finals is a real possibility. Their next three games will really tell us if they are a chance to play finals. They have St Kilda, Bulldogs and Adelaide in their next three games, which are all winnable. If they win those three then I think you can say they will be playing finals in 2014 with a record of 8-2 after 10 rounds.

Hard not to marvel at Gary Ablett Jr and his talents. Easily the best player in the comp.

CoastSportsFan
15-05-14, 01:21 AM
Not sure if anyone saw it in the GC Bulletin but they were reporting that new federal funding for the Commonwealth Games will allow Metricon Stadium to be upgraded to 40,000 seats permanently. Pretty big news if true.

Mexican titan
15-05-14, 02:30 PM
Not sure if anyone saw it in the GC Bulletin but they were reporting that new federal funding for the Commonwealth Games will allow Metricon Stadium to be upgraded to 40,000 seats permanently. Pretty big news if true.

You'll need a wider angled lens for your camera!:nonono:

CoastSportsFan
15-05-14, 07:21 PM
You'll need a wider angled lens for your camera!:nonono:

Haha very funny. I do wonder about the implications of a 40,000 seat stadium. I suppose you really need to fill at least half your stadium to make it worth it so the Suns would want to be average 20k+ crowds by 2018.

Mexican titan
16-05-14, 01:30 PM
Haha very funny. I do wonder about the implications of a 40,000 seat stadium. I suppose you really need to fill at least half your stadium to make it worth it so the Suns would want to be average 20k+ crowds by 2018.

I think it would be good if Metricon was made 40k permanently. Regardless of whether the Suns fill it (and they might for finals, particularly if they played a big Melbourne club) it gives the Coast other options such as Big Bash cricket. The drop in pitch needs to run north south and it would good to fill in that end that is currently open. If Metricon offers a larger capacity it might give better competition with CBus and make CBus offer better hiring arrangements.

CoastSportsFan
16-05-14, 02:59 PM
I think it would be good if Metricon was made 40k permanently. Regardless of whether the Suns fill it (and they might for finals, particularly if they played a big Melbourne club) it gives the Coast other options such as Big Bash cricket. The drop in pitch needs to run north south and it would good to fill in that end that is currently open. If Metricon offers a larger capacity it might give better competition with CBus and make CBus offer better hiring arrangements.

No doubt there are benefits to the city outside of the Suns playing in a larger stadium. As you pointed out, the Suns would probably fill it in a finals match against a big Melbourne club so there is already reason to do it. A finals match against Collingwood at Metricon would easily pull 35k+. As for the BBL, I would have thought 25,000 is already big enough? I guess having a 40,000 seat stadium only furthers the case of a Gold Coast Big Bash team. The drop in pitch does run north-south but there is the issue of the big screen being located in the batters vision when the ball is being bowled to the south. They need to either move the big screen or black it out every second over like they do at the Gabba.

I doubt the state government/Stadiums Queensland would be willing to rework the CBus deal again. As you pointed out, the Titans are hiring CBus where as the Suns have management rights over Metricon and will always have the better deal because they don't really have to put up with Stadiums Queensland's BS. I know this is very unlikely to happen but maybe the Titans would be wise to play a few of their bigger drawing games (Broncos, Rabbitohs etc.) at Carrara to maximise profits? I'm 100% confident the Suns would give them a better deal than Stadiums Queensland. Then again, maybe the Titans are locked in to play a certain amount of games at Robina so it may not be possible.

Just going back on topic here, the Suns have St Kilda this Sunday in Melbourne which is a game they should win. This should result in them entering the top 4 for the first time ever.

C-Whiz
16-05-14, 03:30 PM
I'd definitely go to Metricon to watch cricket.

Don't know if it needs to be any bigger though.

TITAN PETE
16-05-14, 06:00 PM
I'd definitely go to Metricon to watch cricket.

Don't know if it needs to be any bigger though.

Me too or the Foo Fighters again :thumbsup:

CoastSportsFan
18-05-14, 01:27 PM
Although we disagree on a lot of things, it's good to see that everyone rates Metricon highly as a venue.

Suns have an important game today against St Kilda. If they win then they'll go equal second on the ladder and potentially top 4 depending on percentages.

C-Whiz
18-05-14, 01:44 PM
Although we disagree on a lot of things, it's good to see that everyone rates Metricon highly as a venue.More highly accurate posting from CSF... :nope:

Tell us again how we always twist the things you say to suit our own arguments... :rolleyes:

CoastSportsFan
18-05-14, 02:10 PM
More highly accurate posting from CSF... :nope:

Tell us again how we always twist the things you say to suit our own arguments... :rolleyes:

If you would "definitely go to Metricon to watch cricket" then I assume you see the venue as a suitable place to watch sport? Am I wrong? Do you not rate Metricon as a venue?

C-Whiz
18-05-14, 04:33 PM
If you would "definitely go to Metricon to watch cricket" then I assume you see the venue as a suitable place to watch sport? Am I wrong? Do you not rate Metricon as a venue?
Since I don't have anything else to do right now, I am happy to engage you in some pointless banter.
I understand you enjoy making giant leaps of logic, so your comments come as no surprise.

I go to my kids primary school oval to watch them play sport, and other parents do too, and I rate it as suitable for watching them play sport and I assume the other parents do too, but that doesn't mean "that everyone rates it highly" as a venue.

I've never been to Metricon, it might be good, I don't know, all I said is that I would go there to watch the cricket. You just like to bait and switch topics of conversation to suit your own agenda. We all know this. As I have said before, you like to play the victim and accuse others of twisting what you say to suit themselves, but it is usually the opposite.

Either way, I stand by my comments that I would go to Metricon to watch the cricket. I would probably go to watch Foo Fighters too. Either option would be more appealing to me than going there to watch afl.

Mexican titan
18-05-14, 08:35 PM

I think Metricon is a good ground, nothing special however. It's no better (or worse) for watching AFL than Robina is for NRL. Metricon doesn't have a large capacity on the western side which I know is mainly for corporates and a fair chunk of the main stand cops the sun in day games. There are not many seats on lower levels with much elevation and if you sit in these you see a lot of legs if you watch an AFL game, although I appreciate some people like to be near ground level. The layouts of the bars and eateries is much better than Robina although if it is raining you get wet waiting to order food at most of the outlets.
Overall a good ground but better than the SCG, Gabba? Nope.
My point with cricket being played at the ground was that if the end where the screen is was filled with seats then these would be good viewing for cricket. I assume that the screen will need relocating as part of the Commonwealth Games work which would assist in making it better as a cricket venue.

CoastSportsFan
19-05-14, 01:15 AM
Since I don't have anything else to do right now, I am happy to engage you in some pointless banter.
I understand you enjoy making giant leaps of logic, so your comments come as no surprise.

I go to my kids primary school oval to watch them play sport, and other parents do too, and I rate it as suitable for watching them play sport and I assume the other parents do too, but that doesn't mean "that everyone rates it highly" as a venue.

I've never been to Metricon, it might be good, I don't know, all I said is that I would go there to watch the cricket. You just like to bait and switch topics of conversation to suit your own agenda. We all know this. As I have said before, you like to play the victim and accuse others of twisting what you say to suit themselves, but it is usually the opposite.

Either way, I stand by my comments that I would go to Metricon to watch the cricket. I would probably go to watch Foo Fighters too. Either option would be more appealing to me than going there to watch afl.

I probably worded it incorrectly. When I said everyone I meant everyone in the thread and more specifically the two posters above me who mentioned they would go to Metricon for other events outside of AFL. I was trying to point out that you can like the stadium without liking the AFL/Suns which appeared to be the case based on comments I read. I now know you haven't been to Metricon and it would appear that the motivation behind your comment is purely based on your interest in cricket. I just assumed anyone on here that was willing to go had already been. Should I start checking that I get every minor detail correct before I post on here next time?

I think Metricon is a good ground, nothing special however. It's no better (or worse) for watching AFL than Robina is for NRL. Metricon doesn't have a large capacity on the western side which I know is mainly for corporates and a fair chunk of the main stand cops the sun in day games. There are not many seats on lower levels with much elevation and if you sit in these you see a lot of legs if you watch an AFL game, although I appreciate some people like to be near ground level. The layouts of the bars and eateries is much better than Robina although if it is raining you get wet waiting to order food at most of the outlets.
Overall a good ground but better than the SCG, Gabba? Nope.
My point with cricket being played at the ground was that if the end where the screen is was filled with seats then these would be good viewing for cricket. I assume that the screen will need relocating as part of the Commonwealth Games work which would assist in making it better as a cricket venue.

It's a boutique ground. You can't really compare it to the SCG/Gabba given those two grounds are proper cricket grounds with decades of history. I believe the big screen at Metricon is going to be moved for the Comm Games so that'll help if a cricket team does eventuate.

On the topic of the Suns, they had a big win today against St Kilda which takes their season record to 6-2. They are a good chance to make it five consecutive victories with a match at Metricon against the Bulldogs this coming weekend. Currently sitting equal 2nd on the ladder and looking very good chances to play finals this year. Looks like they are finally living up to their potential.

C-Whiz
19-05-14, 07:49 AM
Should I start checking that I get every minor detail correct before I post on here next time?Yes, you should.

I'm glad we finally agree on something. This will definitely make a big difference moving forward.

CoastSportsFan
19-05-14, 12:38 PM
Yes, you should.

I'm glad we finally agree on something. This will definitely make a big difference moving forward.

Okay. I just hope you practice what you preach.

Since this is a thread about the Gold Coast Suns, do you have anything to say about them and their recent results?

C-Whiz
19-05-14, 05:54 PM
Okay. I just hope you practice what you preach.Again, you are twisting things around to suit your own agenda.

You asked a simple question, I gave you a simple answer.

Since this is a thread about the Gold Coast Suns, do you have anything to say about them and their recent results? Of course I do.

I don't really care.

CoastSportsFan
19-05-14, 06:42 PM
Again, you are twisting things around to suit your own agenda.

You asked a simple question, I gave you a simple answer.

Is it not fair that I ask to be treated the same way? You don't think I've been misunderstood on here before?

Of course I do.

I don't really care.

Great contribution. Really furthers the discussion.

C-Whiz
19-05-14, 06:56 PM
You don't think I've been misunderstood on here before?I think you have been entirely and totally understood.

- - - Updated - - -

Great contribution. Really furthers the discussion.Yeah, sorry, it was such a scintillating "discussion" before I brought it crashing down.

CoastSportsFan
19-05-14, 07:37 PM
I think you have been entirely and totally understood.

Just shows how misunderstood on here I am then.

Yeah, sorry, it was such a scintillating "discussion" before I brought it crashing down.

Never said that. Just that you didn't offer much to the discussion after I specifically asked for your views on the Suns.

Toads
19-05-14, 07:44 PM
I nominate a new section of the forum to be added, and title it something along the lines of "Rubbish Bin" or similar 'n move this thread to it.

It'd be quite fitting (IMO).

C-Whiz
19-05-14, 08:55 PM
Just shows how misunderstood on here I am then. I've said it before that you like to play the victim. It is part of your MO.

I have also said that your posts are repetitive and boring. I stand by everything I have said to you and about you.

I would be happy to change my mind about you if you are prepared to change your "discussion" points from negatively toned posts about dwindling crowd figures and constant comparisons to the suns, or give us something that contributes positively towards this Titans RL forum.

Your call now.

CoastSportsFan
19-05-14, 09:40 PM
I've said it before that you like to play the victim. It is part of your MO.

I have also said that your posts are repetitive and boring. I stand by everything I have said to you and about you.

I would be happy to change my mind about you if you are prepared to change your "discussion" points from negatively toned posts about dwindling crowd figures and constant comparisons to the suns, or give us something that contributes positively towards this Titans RL forum.

Your call now.

I posted in the origin sub-forum about NSW thinking Hayne was their saviour again and that I thought QLD would teach them a lesson in 9 days. DIEHARD then accused me of being Victorian (which I'm not), accused me of being a Queenslander the wrong way (don't know how that's even possible?) and then told me to cheer on a rep team that hasn't existed for over 15 years and said Pauline Hanson was one of my idols (she's not).

You blokes just line up and wait to take shots at me even when I do try to give you something that contributes. I wanted to talk about the media getting behind Hayne as if he is going to win Origin off his own boot and I get attacked. What am I supposed to do when I don't talk about the suns/crowds and still get told to p### off?

Am I playing the victim? I don't believe so. I honestly tried to talk about S.O.O and got shut down straight away by the administrator of all people. If even the admin tells me to go away when I try to "contribute" then what am I supposed to do? I don't believe I've broken any rules and I don't want to stop posting on here.

CoastSportsFan
21-05-14, 01:36 PM
Important game for the Suns this weekend when they take on the Bulldogs at home. IF they win then they will enter the top 4 for the first time in their history, regardless of other results. It would also stretch their winning streak to 5.

Mexican titan
25-05-14, 06:58 PM
Excellent win to the Suns. I thought they played pretty average and to do that and win by 45 points is the sign of a good side. I think they are still well below the Hawthorns etc but they are pretty close to a top 4 side and they will get better as the others drop from the peak.

C-Whiz
25-05-14, 08:19 PM
Excellent win to the Suns. I thought they played pretty average and to do that and win by 45 points is the sign of a good side. I think they are still well below the Hawthorns etc but they are pretty close to a top 4 side and they will get better as the others drop from the peak.Yeah, 6 points the difference at half time, so they must have really kicked on after that because they were 53 points ahead at 3/4 time. An 8 goal quarter. That's pretty impressive.

Mexican titan
25-05-14, 08:34 PM
Yeah, 6 points the difference at half time, so they must have really kicked on after that because they were 53 points ahead at 3/4 time. An 8 goal quarter. That's pretty impressive.

Yeah I think they have a very promising side. I am surprised CSF hasn't been on yet but I gather he is still taking pictures. I really am loathe to mention this but the Suns announced a crowd of over 14,000.:rolf:
Metricon must already hold 40,000 so no need to upgrade it.:poke:

C-Whiz
26-05-14, 05:31 PM
I am surprised CSF hasn't been on yet but I gather he is still taking pictures. :laugh:

Good news! We can talk about the Suns again! Yay!

I don't mind the Suns. They are a GC team, and I am all for having more GC teams.

I just don't like complete tossers BS'ing about them on here.

DIEHARD
26-05-14, 05:59 PM
As I said, he did the club a disservice by turning people away from it. I actually have close friends who work for the Suns, so I wish them luck.

Toads
26-05-14, 06:57 PM
You guys talking **** again?

TITAN PETE
26-05-14, 09:57 PM
What Toads said :laugh:

DIEHARD
13-08-14, 12:15 AM
Gold Coast Suns to pay outgoing convert Karmichael Hunt $1 million for one game in 2014

KARMICHAEL Hunt will pocket $1 million in a farewell Gold Coast season that could yield just one game.

The Herald Sun can reveal the Suns have not offered the code-hopper a contract for 2015 and Super Rugby’s Queensland Reds is favourite to win his signature.

The AFL paid around $800,000 a year as part of the mega deal that made Hunt one of the game’s richest players.

But the AFL yesterday labelled the former NRL star’s 44-game Suns stint “extremely successful”.
Hunt, 27, has been considered a good investment by the league and the Suns given the publicity he has generated as an ambassador in the northern battleground states.

But it is set to be the end of Hunt’s AFL journey, which began at a VFL match in Craigieburn on a wintry afternoon in 2010.

The Brisbane Lions last night ruled out reviving Hunt’s AFL career, declaring he had done “an amazing job” promoting football but did not fit their list profile.

His manager, David Riolo, said Hunt had not made a call on which sport to play next year.
“There’s no update until he’s agreed somewhere, that’ll be the update,” Riolo said.
“He hasn’t made a final decision yet and he hasn’t agreed to terms anywhere. He’s also looking at league and union.”

The Brisbane Broncos were believed to be leading the race for Hunt but, despite signing his former coach Wayne Bennett this week, salary cap pressures and sufficient cover for Hunt’s full-back position could thwart their bid.

Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy has publicly stated his interest in Hunt, but it is also facing a salary cap squeeze.

It lands the Reds in the box seat for Hunt.

The AFL yesterday defended the controversial code-jumping bonus payments made to Hunt and Israel Folau, who left the Giants for Rugby union after just one AFL season.

“In terms of ambassador roles for players in the future, the AFL will continue to make that decision on a case-by-case basis and we have a range of players in roles for us,” spokesman Patrick Keane said.
Hunt has kept a low media profile this year, has managed just one game and will miss another two weeks with a knee injury.

He famously slotted a goal after the final siren to upset Richmond in Cairns in 2012 but injury has cruelled the powerful midfielder this year.

He has played seven games in the reserves this year around hamstring and knee injuries and a concussion which led to a staph infection.

Herald Sun

Mexican titan
13-08-14, 07:25 PM
Hunt's best value for the AFL was in marketing value before he even played a game. As a player he has been a complete flop. Obviously he has picked up huge money but he is an elite athlete that has wasted 4 years of his career.

Mexican titan
13-06-15, 08:50 PM
Went to the Suns today and a great effort from them. But an even better effort from the creative crowd counters. It was easily the smallest crowd I have been in at either a Suns or Titans game and the bloke I was with reckoned somewhere between 4-5000 tops. It is on the AFL website as 8,911. No way. I have been to a few games this year where they have clearly fudged the crowds. If the Swans crowd last week was 12k then no way was today 9k.

TITAN PETE
13-06-15, 09:56 PM
Have they won the comp yet ?

Mr Bods
22-07-18, 08:13 PM
That was a fine win by the Suns over the Swans yesterday
Their season has been way more testing than the Titans

shamus
08-08-18, 07:38 AM
The brother in law is a Suns season member as well as a Titan member. He won't be at the Titans game this Saturday as they conflict with each other. He would prefer to be at the Titans but the incentive to go to the Suns game is too much. The deal they have at the moment is for every home game you attend (from the last 3 ) you get $15.00 off next years membership. If you attend all 3 home games they give you another $5.00 off. So an individual member can save $50.00. He has 3 memberships so he will save $150.00. Not a bad incentive.

TITAN PETE
08-08-18, 01:48 PM
They will get value for their money on Saturday when they watch the Premiers win by a 100

DavidBouveng
08-08-18, 04:05 PM
The brother in law is a Suns season member as well as a Titan member. He won't be at the Titans game this Saturday as they conflict with each other. He would prefer to be at the Titans but the incentive to go to the Suns game is too much. The deal they have at the moment is for every home game you attend (from the last 3 ) you get $15.00 off next years membership. If you attend all 3 home games they give you another $5.00 off. So an individual member can save $50.00. He has 3 memberships so he will save $150.00. Not a bad incentive.

The Son in Law is also going to be busy soon hey. how amazing for him.

Mr Bods
08-08-18, 05:45 PM
I’m a member of both clubs. It sucks when there’s a clash. It’s basically a loss of $50 per seat when it happens.
I’ve challenged both clubs on trying to not have clashes but they say the amount of freaks out there like Shamus Brother In Law and I is negligible and has a tiny affect on the attendance.

Mr Bods
12-08-18, 04:31 PM
Titans are in a much better place than the Suns. It will be years before the Suns are competitive. Also there are a huge amount of people in Victoria/Brisbane/Tasmania Campaigning for the Suns to be packed up and moved to Tasmania.