PDA

View Full Version : FFA axes Roar chairman Chris Bombolas

DIEHARD
01-04-11, 02:25 PM
Brisbane Roar CEO Peter McLennan and chairman Chris Bombolas gone as FFA moves

THE FFA has started clearing the decks for its takeover of the Brisbane Roar with CEO Peter McLennan and chairman Chris Bombolas stepping aside.
The pair, who presided over Brisbane's premiership triumph last month, were effectively asked to move on today.

Roar staff fear more changes will follow as the league continues its review into the championship and premiership winners.

The FFA is restructuring the club, with former Brisbane lions boss Michael Bowers leading the review.

However Bowers will not be the new CEO and will concentrate on his mission of finding new owners for the cash strapped club.

Roar issued a statement at 2pm saying Peter McLennan had "decided to leave the club" at the end of April "following a transitional period in which he will assist Football Federation Australia".

No mention was made of Bombolas but it was understood he resigned rather than be sacked.

FFA chief executive Ben Buckley paid tribute to the contribution of McLennan who has overseen the club for the past four years . "The club has recorded unparalleled achievements in recent times which is a testimony to Peter's passion, time, energy and commitment to the club over last four years," said Buckley.

"I would like to acknowledge and thank Peter for his unwavering commitment, dedication and professionalism in guiding the club. "In particular, 2011 has been the undoubted high point of the club's short history and has set new benchmarks not just for the club but for the Hyundai A-League as a whole.

"Coming off a disappointing season last year, the club has won both the premiership and championship, qualified for the AFC Champions League and recorded the longest undefeated streak in Australian football history.

"And it has done it all in great style, setting a new standard of play for the competition and implementing an exciting youth development strategy."

McLennan said he was comfortable with his decision, believing the club was in a fantastic position to make the most of its recent success.

"I've thoroughly enjoyed my time at the club," said McLennan.

"There is no doubting we've had our challenges but I now believe the time is right for me to move on, enjoy some down time with my young family and allow the next phase of the club's evolution take place.

"I'd like to thank all staff, players, coaches, sponsors and of course our wonderful fans seeing Suncorp Stadium on grand final day is an image I will never forget and underlines the enormous potential this club has."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/

DIEHARD
01-04-11, 02:26 PM
Shame to see this happen to a great man like Chris, but he went out on a successful high with a title for the Roar!

Come back to Rugby League Chris! Where you belong!