PDA

View Full Version : Halberg judges snub Kiwis

Go_The_Doggies
02-01-06, 08:41 PM
Source: www.nzoom.com

Jan 2, 2006

The Halberg finalists have been released and as ONE News reported two weeks ago there is no room for the Kiwis league team in the team of the year category.

The All Blacks and the three world champion rowing crews are the finalists for the team of the year award, and at no stage was there any thought of breaking with tradition and naming five finalists.

The outstanding performances by New Zealand rowing crews at the 2005 World Rowing Championships in Japan have been reflected in the finalists selected for the 2005 Say When Halberg Awards.

The rowing crews stunned the rowing world, winning four gold medals in just under an hour at the World championships in Gifu Japan.

All four are among the 12 finalists named in the Say When Sportsman, Sportswoman and Sports Team categories, with head coach Dick Tonks in the Coach of the year category.

However Halberg Trust Executive Director Dave Currie says it has been an exceptional year for New Zealand's sports people and sorting out the finalists wasn't easy.

US golf open champion Michael Campbell is a finalists in the Sportsman of the Year Award, along with All Black Daniel Carter, Mahe Drysdale Rowing, and Jonathan Wyatt, Mountain running.

Sam Warriner, the winner of two triathlons in Japan and Germany, makes the Sportswoman of the Year along with young shot putter, Valerie Vili, mountain running Kate McIlroy and the Silver Ferns, Irene Van Dyke.

The 25 strong judging panel is made up of journalists and former top athletes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMO this is bloody discusting, its the first time we've won a series in 50 odd years, and it's been ages since we beat Australia...and we dont get a mention....i would write to them...but it would do no good....rowing....rowing...ffs...imo rowing isnt a 'team sport' its more like double....ffs....the only too good nomanie's are Michael Campbell, and Bluey....f***king discusting :box:

Eel 33
03-01-06, 09:42 AM
It would be the same over here if we did what the kiwis did in the tri nations final.

I agree, its disgusting.

Go_The_Doggies
03-01-06, 10:42 AM
I just hope Bluey can win coach of the year...but if he can be in the running for coach of they year, why cant the kiwis be in the running for team of the year??...i think the the judges are just scared that the kiwis might actually beat the all blacks and win the award....