PDA

View Full Version : Titans agrressive but they promise not to pillage

DeeGan
01-01-06, 11:02 AM
Titans agrressive but they promise not to pillage

There is a story reported in the SMH today where Michael Searle is featured in the article reassuring rival teams and fans we will not pillage their club.

"We will be aggressive but we don't want to do anything that will be detrimental to rugby league. We don't want to destabilise the game.

"We're all about growing the game. We won't be predatory and we won't be offering huge sums to players to come up here. For most of them it will be a lifestyle decision.

"We won't target one team and look to get their top players up here.

"Obviously Steve Price going to the Warriors upset a lot of Bulldogs fans and we wouldn't want to do something like that"

In other news from the piece:

- Robina Stadium to be ready mid 2007 though we will not play our first match their until 2008

- Michael wants our opening game to be against one of either the Cowboys or Brisbane

Cheers

DeeGan

DIEHARD
01-01-06, 11:13 AM
Probably the first time I have heard a club come out with those types of statements. Very refreshing.

As for a first game against the Cowboys or Broncos. I think we should wait several weeks before we take them on, so we can get some matches under our belt and gel better.

We will be going up against developed teams and combinations. Where as we are a new team playing our first premiership match together.

I'd rather wait and get more experience, help stake the odds in our favour. The Cowboys and Broncos are gun teams on any day of the week and I'd rather not battle them at a disadvantage.

Getting beaten by the Broncos and Cowboys in the first round won't do us any favours. You need to string them out and make the public feverish for a match against the other QLD teams.

It's all about showmanship with the scheduling, like a well crafted screenplay. You don't drop your best scene in the first act.

We should split up our hype matches. The first match will be hyped enough alone regardless who it is. It will get mass attention, coverage and interest.

I'd rather play the Broncos in Round 7 or so. When we have a good chance of upsetting them. Beating the Broncos in our first tilt against each other would be a momentous and meaningful chapter in the rebirth of our club and I want to give the Titans every chance of taking them out.

We shouldn't gamble everything in the first round.

Have our first game against....Storm, Penrith, Warriors, Cronulla, Newcastle or Souths.

But back to the point how great are the Titans as a club and Michael Searle as a CEO? I'm so happy to have a club in the competition with such an outlook and I'm ecstatic to call them my team.

I'm also happy to hear Robina Stadium will be well on schedule for 2008. With enough time to grow a fantastic pitch, we don't want anymore Sandcorp fiascos. I'm sure a lot has been learnt from that.

The Original Idiot
01-01-06, 01:04 PM
^ Totally agree, 'cept for the part about playing the Storm first. The Storm are always hot in the first few rounds. I say play the rabbits or kiwis.

Searlo is right about not splurging money to pinch players, we can get them without purely using the green. I'll bet Bailey didn't come purely for money. But not pillaging? How else do we get players in league?

DIEHARD
01-01-06, 01:56 PM
^ Totally agree, 'cept for the part about playing the Storm first. The Storm are always hot in the first few rounds. I say play the rabbits or kiwis.

Valid point. Storm are usually on fire early.

Eel 33
01-01-06, 04:38 PM
Doesn't really matter who you play first up, there will be a huge crowd at the game due to the fact that history will be made for both teams.

DeeGan
03-01-06, 11:37 AM
Opening the 2007 season with a blockbuster pitting the Gold Coast Titans against either the Brisbane Broncos or North Queensland Cowboys is quite simply a mouth watering prospect that no rugby league fan would want to miss! I would personally prefer to enter the 2007 season with a BANG rather than a whimper (no disrespect to the other clubs though a derby clash is a BANG) for the only reason being to have a better chance in knocking off the established QLD clubs in the later rounds. Let's build on the hype surrounding our debut season rather than hosing it down a little.

When it all comes down to it, we have had our first win agains the likes of the Broncos and the Cowboys by getting the green light in 2005, we got the 16th license giving QLD fans and junior rugby league players an alternative.

Our opening game either way will be an historic event and a crowd pleaser, I understand that, though let's capitalise on the local derby with one of the QLD teams in the round 1 opener that will capture the imagination of the entire rugby league loving public.

DeeGan

..::Coops::..
03-01-06, 03:01 PM
i agree with Diehard, i don't think the first game should be against the Cowboys or broncos. no matter who the titans play teh first game will shorly be a sellout and a fantastic event.

i think a couple of weeks later should be the derby.

Dakink
03-01-06, 03:07 PM
I tend to agree with Diehard hee too - I think the first games - if not all season - will be sell outs no matter who we are playing. I would prefer to have a few home games under the belt before playing the Derby v Brisbane. Make it a longer lead up and tantalise the fans with the advertising - space the big clubs out over the season. Broncos, Cowboys, Dogs, Dragons and Eels always pull strong crowds and would be my blockbusters.

SOLIOLA
03-01-06, 03:09 PM
Do you think with the purpose of no orford or bell there that storm's early season run might come to an end this season

I so reckon orford created the storm's early rise in the early rounds and without him there i just think they would struggle a little but thats my opinion i just have to wait and see in Round 2 when the Roosters take them on in our first home game.

Dizzy
07-01-06, 02:07 PM
I really don't care who we play first just so long as it's televised so I can get to see ir here at home in Pattaya :thumbsup:

The Original Idiot
07-01-06, 08:28 PM
Do you think with the purpose of no orford or bell there that storm's early season run might come to an end this season

If super cronk was reading this, he'd be smacking his head in frustration AGAIN. I have lost count of the times I and others have had to tell people ORFORD IS NOT THE LIFE AND DEATH OF THE STORM! NEITHER IS BELL! They have more than worthy replacements in Cooper Cronk and Greg Inglis, who can fire them through the early rounds. Orford was playing poorly last season. it wasn't him or Bell that got them through the early rounds. It was the entire team. Slater, Webster, King, Geyer, Hill, Kidwell, Smith et al.

Inglis is easily the best back to come out of South Queensland for a long time. He is a tryscoring machine. If you had seen Cronk's kicking game against Burleigh this QLD cup season you would not be worried about the loss of Orford. The Storm's backline is just as good as it was last year.

edited to correct typing errors

Unbearable
05-02-06, 10:17 AM
Titans agrressive but they promise not to pillage

There is a story reported in the SMH today where Michael Searle is featured in the article reassuring rival teams and fans we will not pillage their club.
"We will be aggressive but we don't want to do anything that will be detrimental to rugby league. We don't want to destabilise the game.

"We're all about growing the game. We won't be predatory and we won't be offering huge sums to players to come up here. For most of them it will be a lifestyle decision.

"Obviously Steve Price going to the Warriors upset a lot of Bulldogs fans and we wouldn't want to do something like that"
Motherhood statements like this, from Michael Searle show him to be short of credibility. His statement is at odds with the Gold Coast's actions so far; West Tigers, St.George and Parra fans would unlikely agree with him, going by the Gold Coast's pursuit of their players:.
West Tigers: Laffranchi (signed), Lolesi (attempted to sign but missed out),Prince and Marshall (targeted)
St.George: Bailey (signed), Greenshields (targeted),Simms and Head (said to be targeted also)
Parramatta: Petersen and O'Dwyer (signed), Delaney, Tim Smith, Moi Moi (targeted).

For a new team, there can be benefits to signing groups of players from particular clubs to help the side gel faster - eg Melbourne in their first year, with a core of players with Newcastle/Cronulla origins.

Searle is being hypocritical when it can be seen that Gold Coast is targeting certain clubs. Searle's example Steve Price emphasises the point. I'm sure the West Tigers would be a lot more upset to lose emerging stars Prince and Marshall to Gold Coast, than the Bulldogs were to lose Steve Price to the Warriors (Price is nearing the end of his career, and aparently wanted to leave anyway after the Coffs Harbour and salary cap fiascos).

In the leadup to the announcement of the 16th team, Searle got a lot of media mileage, spruiking that the Gold Coast Club was the more worthy applicant because it would help share the State of Origin burden by spreading QLD players between the Broncos, Cowboys and Gold Coast.

One has to ask, how is the signing of Brian Carney, and the pursuit UK based players Danny Ward, Sean O'Loughlin, Richard Mathers, Stuart Fielden, Paul Deacon and Jamie Lyon going to be good for Queensland Rugby League???

Rugby League these days is a business, more's the pity; but Michael Searle, spare us the PR BS about your club about what's good for the game; it just smacks of duplicity.

Titanium_BD1103
05-02-06, 10:32 AM
OK wait a minute here.. you make some good points here but you also make some very weak ones too Unbearable.

To start off, what Searle meant by the comment of we are not going to be predatory is exactly on the mark, regardless of what you think. Gold Coast Titans so far have shown they are only going to pay as much as they think a player is worth to get them to the club. They will not be paying exorbant amounts of money for a player to join the club and we have rountinely heard them say that Scott Prince will not join the Titans if he wants more money than the club is offering him...now as a PR professional I know that maybe PR and probably is, but until I have seen them do otherwise, I will trust this group of people who have shown so far to be very much working for the needs of the club and its supporters.

As for the Bulldogs and Steven Price, I can tell you that the Bulldogs were very upset Steve Price decided to leave.. I mean he was our captain, an inspiration and we only let him go because he was so adamant our club really had no other option.. you can't try to keep players at a club when they are clearly unhappy or want another challenge.. ;)

With Scott Prince, it will be up to him, as was stated by the club before, GC are not going to offer extravagant amounts of money to him, if he decides to join us, it will be his decision and his alone, for reasons most probably of being closer to family and for his partner... :)

With the signing of SL starts to the QRL and you asking how that will benefit, as a PR person I can tell you how it benefits, it benefits by putting the QRL in the spotlight. With all these SL players playing for QRL teams, it will mean that people will start to take notice and think 'they must have a good system at the QRL if these players want to play for QRL clubs', then more money goes to the QRL and they can use that to help juniors.. :)

On the other hand they can also use these players as ambassdors for the QRL, to get people interested, and youngsters who support these guys as much as their NRL stars will join rugby league and play.. :D :D

Finally you say this smack of business, OF COURSE IT DOES, then again.. RUGBY LEAGUE IS A BUSINESS... it has been since News Limited took it over back in 1998. Rugby League is about making money from sponsors, increasing attraction to the game and then using money that is from sponsors to help out at grass roots level, such as the Qantas NRL Bush Train. It works ATM and one would be naive and a tad silly to think that Rugby League could survive if it didn't act like a business. All the other sports are.. I say get use to it.. :D

So yes it may be PR, but it certainly ain't PR BS, I reckon it is highly smart and the Gold Coast is staying truthful to the word.. and until I see otherwise.. that is where my opinions stand.. ;)

Queenslander
05-02-06, 10:32 AM
Motherhood statements like this, from Michael Searle show him to be short of credibility. His statement is at odds with the Gold Coast's actions so far; West Tigers, St.George and Parra fans would unlikely agree with him, going by the Gold Coast's pursuit of their players:.
West Tigers: Laffranchi (signed), Lolesi (attempted to sign but missed out),Prince and Marshall (targeted)
St.George: Bailey (signed), Greenshields (targeted),Simms and Head (said to be targeted also)
Parramatta: Petersen and O'Dwyer (signed), Delaney, Tim Smith, Moi Moi (targeted).

For a new team, there can be benefits to signing groups of players from particular clubs to help the side gel faster - eg Melbourne in their first year, with a core of players with Newcastle/Cronulla origins.

Searle is being hypocritical when it can be seen that Gold Coast is targeting certain clubs. Searle's example Steve Price emphasises the point. I'm sure the West Tigers would be a lot more upset to lose emerging stars Prince and Marshall to Gold Coast, than the Bulldogs were to lose Steve Price to the Warriors (Price is nearing the end of his career, and aparently wanted to leave anyway after the Coffs Harbour and salary cap fiascos).

In the leadup to the announcement of the 16th team, Searle got a lot of media mileage, spruiking that the Gold Coast Club was the more worthy applicant because it would help share the State of Origin burden by spreading QLD players between the Broncos, Cowboys and Gold Coast.

One has to ask, how is the signing of Brian Carney, and the pursuit UK based players Danny Ward, Sean O'Loughlin, Richard Mathers, Stuart Fielden, Paul Deacon and Jamie Lyon going to be good for Queensland Rugby League???

Rugby League these days is a business, more's the pity; but Michael Searle, spare us the PR BS about your club about what's good for the game; it just smacks of duplicity.

On your first argument in which you state that the Titans are targeting certain clubs im sure you are going to be told thats untrue. The clubs have to give permission for their players to have talks before the June 30 Anti-tampering deadline. Scott Prince has got permission from his club; the tigers to have talks....If there is anyone to blame for the apparent loss of Prince it is the club. And when you use the word "targeted" do you mean that the club has actually gone to them and asked or is just sitting at the Gold Coast and looking at photos of them!!!

Are you also aware that Prince wants to leave the tigers and move back to Queensland? And the tigers are well aware of it, so they are not putting up too much of a fight.

For this I say have a look at the cowboys, they had very few players in state of origin from the start up until recently. The Titans will help share the State of Origin load but its full affect wont take many years.

Dakink
06-02-06, 10:58 AM
As a Dragon fan you get used to losing players due to salary cap, I have no probs with players negotiating the futures.

The Titans have never poached a player (to my knowledge) or offered unrealistic figures. Where else do you expect them to pick up players? When a players contract is finshed he is a free agent and able to dow hat he wishes - hardly poaching players. All players signed negotiated with their current clubs support and best wishes - Im sure they didnt want to lose them but they didnt whinge and stand in their way either.

DeeGan
06-02-06, 09:22 PM

Unbearable,

First off, "motherhood statements" :laugh: I have never read that on a forum before - nice.

If you accuse Michael Searle of lacking in credibility, I have to ask, do you know what the word means? Let me help out:

Function: noun
1 : the quality or power of inspiring belief <an account lacking in credibility>
2 : capacity for belief <strains her reader's credibility -- Times Literary Supplement>

Let's get to the "motherhood statement" from Michael.

We have signed;

1. Preston CAMPBELL (Penrith)
2. Luke BAILEY (St George Illawarra)
3. Brian CARNEY (Wigan via Newcaslte)
4. Anthony LAFFRANCHI (Wests Tigers)
5. Matt PETERSEN (Parramatta)
6. Luke O'DWYER(Parramatta)
7. Nathan FRIEND (Melbourne)

Seven players - correct me if I am wrong, but seven players from six clubs? Hardly targetting one club is it? As Michael said, "we are not being predatory and we won't be offering huge sums to players to come up here. For most of them it will be a lifestyle decision"

Here are comments from each player signed and their reason WHY they signed with us -

Preston Campbell ?It is special, the fact that they still think of me up this way and it is a big honour for me to be the first player the club is signing. I?ve actually been looking forward to this since the Chargers were taken out of the competition in 1998. I was always hoping that they would get a team up here and now it has happened. The opportunity to get the chance to finish my career where I started doesn?t come along that often so for that I?m grateful.?

Luke Bailey "I am excited by the challenge of helping start the new club and the opportunity to use my experience to help mould its culture. I have developed a good relationship with John Cartwright through my association with him at State Of Origin and I believe it to be a step in the right direction for me at this time of my career. Personally I am looking forward to moving to the Gold Coast. I have relatives there and I will definitely enjoy taking my young family up there.?

Brian Carney ?The decision to sign with the Gold Coast was one that I made with the knowledge and excitement of being involved in a brand new license and the opportunity for me to prove my worth week in week out in the toughest rugby league competition in the world.

This is a challenge that I can?t wait to happen and I know I will be proud to represent the people of the Gold Coast. The fact the club has been able to secure Preston Campbell and Luke Bailey is astonishing for a fledgling club. Those two guys will continue to attract quality players and the club is quickly being acknowledged as a real player.

I can?t wait to get to the Gold Coast and also play with a group of lads that are so passionate about their City. March 2007 will be a special time for us all as inaugural members of the Gold Coast team.?

Anthony Laffranchi ?It is definitely an honour to be asked to play with the new team on the Gold Coast. To be able to come home to play for the local team is something that I?ve really only dreamt about until now. There is something special about playing in front of a home crowd ? it?s so great to be given the chance to do it?.

Matt Petersen ?One of the biggest factors to consider when deciding to go to a new team is knowing you will get on with the coach and knowing other people in the team. I played under John when he coached the US team against Australia in Philadelphia last year and I know I will work well under him. It will be an exciting time for me to be a part of a start up and helping set up the culture on and off the field is appealing,?

Luke O'Dwyer ?When I first heard the news that the Gold Coast was in the competition I thought, ?wouldn?t it be great to be able to go back!? Now it?s a reality and I am really looking forward to being able to play in front of a home crowd and my friends and family. I remember growing up in the Tweed and my mates and I used to go to the Seagulls games and watch our idols play like Wally Lewis and others. For the juniors to be able to see first hand where they can end up will be a really good thing for Rugby League on the Coast.?

Nathan Friend (stuck behind QLD hooker Cameron Smith) ?It has been frustrating at times. I don?t regret my time with the Storm and I am really excited about going to the Gold Coast?.

Does it sound like we twisted their arm? The majority have personal reasons wouldn't say ranging from "coming home" to proving ones self in the premiere rugby league competition. Again, targeted one team?

Let's talk about some names you mentioned in your post.

Jamaal Lolesi - A Wests Tiger when we looked at him? I think not. He was a Canterbury Bulldog and free agent looking for a new team. Yes we missed out on him, though he was not a Wests Tiger - he was a NZ international that we showed an interest in moving on from Belmore.

Scott Prince - Don't compare Scott Prince's situation to that of Steven Price. Prince is born and bred in Mt Isa spending time with the Cowboys and Broncos before landing on his feet at Wests in which he has now resurrected his career. Price did not want to leave Canterbury, he made the decision to leave based on taking the contract that would best set him up after rugby league - a position a club or player should not be put in when he has played all of his footy there. But that's another topic.

Benji Marshall - You want to chastise Michael for showing interest in one of the hottest players in the game when he was looking at all offers on the table with his managers? Go right ahead, Michael would be out of a job if he did not put the club in a position to put our cards on the table.

Clinton Greenshields - Where are we on record as targeting a player with limited first grade experience? Greenshields has expressed his desire to head back home and we would be open to accomodating him if John Cartwright thought he could help us reach our goals over the next three years.

Ashton Sims and Matt Head - "Said to be targeted" - by whom? You got this from the forum where many a player (as we will discover in a moment) has been suggested by members.

Brett Delaney, Tim Smith & Fui Fui Moi Moi - as above, more forum talk. I can't remember Michael coming out telling the media or fans we were targeting any of these three. Tim Smith is a local and the media put two and two together, but haven't targeted him.

More gold to come...

And your telling us this is the pass/fail mark when talking about the developement of QLD Origin players? Shall I remind you our first concern is putting together a team for the 2007 season - our recruitment policy has never been 'sign the Queenslander before the other player' bud. We will one day be in a position to "share the load", though it will take time. Look at NQ in their early days and compare that to now.

Whilst your at it pay a visit to the Titans Academy Elite squad. We are developing from the grass roots and will look at providing players to the Maroons in the future. "Rome was not built in a day" - Michael is a smart man and would not have dare dreamed up any idea that we were going to come in and share the burden with Brisbane and NQ in supplying talent to the QLD side from day one. Your twisting his words to suit your post - sounds like something from a failed 16th team bid personally.

Unbearable we are not going to please everyone at the Titans and no one is going to kid themselves in to thinking otherwise. You want to stick the boot in to Michael Searle who is has always been upfront and forthcoming when discussing player recruitement. Time and time again of late he has stated that 'we will not get into a bidding war for Scott Prince' and he (Prince) knows what we are offering him. The rest is up to him.

Spare us your soapbox posts - if you must, at least put more thought in to what your typing before stepping right on up.

Disgruntled bears fan perhaps? ;)

Enjoy the forums! :thumbsup:

lonegull
06-02-06, 09:33 PM
:fyi: unbearable what a total whinger tell me what ceo would go to the lengths that micheal searle has gone to it is as though you have only picked out all the things to whinge and whine about i can tell you now i bet theres a lot more positives with the management team then negatives they have got everything in place to run a very successful club and that it will be and for one thiing name another ceo of a club that would go to a sevens tournament and walk around the ground and thank his supporters not many if any at all micheal searle a champion and a bloody good ceo of what will be a great club

Queenslander
06-02-06, 09:36 PM
:fyi: unbearable what a total whinger tell me what ceo would go to the lengths that micheal searle has gone to it is as though you have only picked out all the things to whinge and whine about i can tell you now i bet theres a lot more positives with the management team then negatives they have got everything in place to run a very successful club and that it will be and for one thiing name another ceo of a club that would go to a sevens tournament and walk around the ground and thank his supporters not many if any at all micheal searle a champion and a bloody good ceo of what will be a great club

:topic: That is a very long sentence ;)

But DeeGan you have hit the nail on the head it a clear and concise way :clap: . Just a note for unbearable you are more than welcome to express your opinion but first put some thought into your words and dont let emotion over-run what you are trying to say.

lonegull
06-02-06, 09:40 PM
sorry queenslander but unbearable or whatever he is just really hit a bad nerve :yell:

DeeGan
06-02-06, 09:48 PM
sorry queenslander but unbearable or whatever he is just really hit a bad nerve :yell:

Never appologise for showing passion ;)

Queenslander meant know harm there - you will get to know Queenslander is one of resident 'funny men' here - right Queenslander? :laugh: More tounge in cheek as there was no punctuation in the post.

I have heard Mal Meninga give a long speech at Origin team which was just as long :) (though more swearing involved - ahh, the good ol' days with Big Mal there after the King had left)

Queenslander
06-02-06, 09:53 PM
Never appologise for showing passion ;)

Queenslander meant know harm there - you will get to know Queenslander is one of resident 'funny men' here - right Queenslander? :laugh: More tounge in cheek as there was no punctuation in the post.

I have heard Mal Meninga give a long speech at Origin team which was just as long :) (though more swearing involved - ahh, the good ol' days with Big Mal there after the King had left)

Thats right never apologise for showing a bit of passion lonegull! :thumbsup: And yes I try to be funny <insert joke here> :laugh: :laugh: (I got nothing sorry) :p

The Original Idiot
07-02-06, 05:12 PM
This unbearable character sounds like a Central Coaster.