PDA

View Full Version : GCAFL and their stadium...

DIEHARD
20-03-11, 03:39 PM
Gold Coast Suns strike gold at Carrara

THE Gold Coast has hit paydirt with building giant Metricon forking out $3 million for the naming rights to the Carrara stadium.
The deal is worth about $700,000 a year.

It is believed the Suns will today announce the five-year deal at a press conference with Sports Minister Phil Reeves.

The Suns received sole management rights of the stadium as part of the deal struck to carry out the $144 million development.

Because the AFL contributed to the construction, the State Government handed over management rights to the AFL who passed them on to the Gold Coast FC.

That means any income generated on match days, sales goes directly into club coffers

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/

DIEHARD
20-03-11, 03:42 PM
This is an absolute disgrace, not only are these people heavily back by the AFL, well they ARE the AFL. But some how they have swindled the AFL Government into giving them management rights!!

From my understanding the AFL received this because they chipped in $10million odd for the development.

The Titans were never offered such a deal and we are by far the biggest sport in Queensland. And if we could find $30million for the Centra of Excellence Im damn sure we would have redirected some of our focus to scure such a deal.

And what about the Queensland taxpayers who footed nearly all of the bill only to be denied the opportunity to actually make $$$$?

I can't stress how sick and outrageous this all is....

C-Whiz
20-03-11, 06:46 PM
So who are you actually angry with Brad? The AFL for pulling off a stunning deal?

I do wonder what having the management rights actually provides to you, apart from the dollars in the sky-rocket. If they allow you to sell cold cans of beer at a reasonable price rather than $6.60 for a plastic cup, I'd be dirty for missing out too.

Otherwise, apart from getting a kick-back on gate takings, what is the benefit?

Dragons
20-03-11, 07:04 PM
So who are you actually angry with Brad? The AFL for pulling off a stunning deal?

I do wonder what having the management rights actually provides to you, apart from the dollars in the sky-rocket. If they allow you to sell cold cans of beer at a reasonable price rather than $6.60 for a plastic cup, I'd be dirty for missing out too.

Otherwise, apart from getting a kick-back on gate takings, what is the benefit?

Get the NRL to lower the prices and get bums on seat, not hard!

DIEHARD
20-03-11, 07:46 PM
They will have control of running events, catering and beers and they can also make $$$ by hosting other events other than AFL games, particularly in the off season.

Meanwhile we are friggin tenants.

Boofhead
20-03-11, 08:34 PM
Lollabor??

C-Whiz
21-03-11, 08:01 AM
They will have control of running events, catering and beers and they can also make $$$ by hosting other events other than AFL games, particularly in the off season.

Meanwhile we are friggin tenants.I'm still not sure who you are angry with over this?

You can't be blaming the AFL for getting a good deal. Good work to them. Same as the deal they have wrangled with Virgin or whoever their carrier is, with cheap flights for Suns fans. Seems like they are heaps better at the negotiation game than the NRL. I bet they even have better TV rights. And it seems their players get paid more. Honestly, it just sounds like the AFL are better than the NRL at working out a deal rather than being bent over at the negotiation table. This may be because they aren't fighting against their "partner" every step of the way??