PDA

View Full Version : A-League Grand Final: Brisbane Roar FC vs Central Coast Mariners FC

Sydney Titans Fanatic
06-03-11, 06:42 PM
Brisbane Roar FC vs Central Coast Mariners FC

What: 2010/2011 A-League Grand Final
Who:Brisbane Roar FC vs Central Coast Mariners FC
When:Sunday 13 March 2011 4pm
Were: Suncorp Stadium Brisbane

Brisbane Roar FC:
Tbc

Central Coast Mariners FC
Tbc

DIEHARD
06-03-11, 06:45 PM
Impressive season from the Roar and worthy of hosting the Grand Final.

They deserve to win. I'd probably go if it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

But the Titans v Dragons on Saturday and that is what matters. If I have any spare cash, Id go to Broncos v Cowboys.

Mariners were also probably the 2nd best side of the year.

Sydney Titans Fanatic
06-03-11, 06:45 PM
GO ROAR!!!

Sydney Titans Fanatic
06-03-11, 07:13 PM
Central Coast Mariners through to third grand final after defeating Gold Coast United 1-0
Adam Kwasnik steps up as the unlikely hero for Central Coast Mariners, scoring the only goal to push coach Graham Arnold's side past Gold Coast United and through to the A-League grand final.
Central Coast will face Brisbane Roar in the A-League grand final after a late Adam Kwasnik goal earned the Mariners a 1-0 win over Gold Coast in the preliminary final.

The Mariners booked their third grand final appearance and ensured a spot in the 2012 Asian Champions League with a scrappy, gritty victory in front of 7,539 fans at Bluetongue Stadium.

Brisbane Roar and Mariners, who finished the regular season first and second respectively, will meet for the sixth time this season in the decider at Suncorp Stadium.

Brisbane progressed to the grand final by beating the Mariners 4-2 on aggregate over two legs in the major semi-final, with the second leg at Suncorp Stadium finishing 2-2.

Central Coast had started to mount some serious pressure in what had been a largely scrappy affair before Kwasnik broke the deadlock in the 75th minute.

There was a touch of fortune about the goal, with a Michael McGlinchey shot from outside the box blocked and Kwasnik on hand to fire low and hard past Glen Moss.

Gold Coast didn't go down without a fight and could have equalised in the 79th minute had Mariners' goalkeeper Mathew Ryan not made a brilliant double save to deny Bruce Djite and Anderson.
The result ended another gallant showing from Gold Coast, who had reached the preliminary final with upsets wins over Melbourne Victory and Adelaide.

The first half ended scoreless despite a couple of clear-cut chances, the first to the Mariners after just three minutes when striker Daniel McBreen failed to make the most of a superb team move.

Gold Coast's best opportunity of the half fell to Djite in the 12th minute but the striker was denied one-on-one by Ryan after being set up by Tahj Minniecon.

The Mariners stepped things up late in the half and teenager Trent Sainsbury, playing in place of the suspended Pedj Bojic, missed a good chance at the back post on the stroke of halftime.

The Mariners suffered a blow when playmaker Patricio Perez was forced off in the 65th minute with a hamstring injury but if anything the home side lifted when replacement Mustafa Amina came on.

Defender Patrick Zwaanswijk rose high to meet a Bozanic corner in the 69th minute, hammering a header into the cross bar, before Bozanic almost looped a header in seconds later.

But Kwasnik popped up to ensure a fitting grand final for the league's sixth season between the clear competition front runners.

Mariners coach Graham Arnold was thrilled with his side's achievement, hailing the impact of youngsters Ryan, Sainsbury and Amini.

"I have to say I thought over the 90 minutes we deserved to win, a bit sloppy at times ... but look, I'm blown away," Arnold said.

"We had two 18-year-olds out there and a 17-year-old, performing the way we did, I'm very happy.

"There has been a belief within this group and within myself right from the start when we were tipped to come ninth that we could do something special this season."

Central Coast are now targeting their first championship after grand final losses to Sydney FC in 2005-06 and Newcastle in 2007-08.

"I hope so," captain Alex Wilkinson said.

"This is what we've been working hard towards for 10 months ... to get there now and to qualify for Asia, it's just massive for the club."

Gold Coast coach Miron Bleiberg was clearly deflated but gracious in defeat.

"We are proud that we are good losers. We didn't complain and we accept that we lost today and no complaint about the referee, the opposition and not about the crowd, about the stadium, anything," he said.

"Everybody that tells you Gold Coast is a bad loser will tell you the wrong thing ... Congratulations to the Mariners.

"I'm proud with what we've done, we've had a good year."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/central-coast-mariners-through-to-a-league-grand-final-after-beating-gold-coast-united-1-0/story-e6frf4gl-1226016337343

Blazertaser
07-03-11, 11:42 AM
Dissappointed in the loss by the gcu on the weekend, but central coast did deserve the win, much more aggresive side then gold coast

Though i beleive the roar will win, it will be a tough game, with very different attacking and defensive styles coming from both

shamus
07-03-11, 04:34 PM
The Mariners played much better football than GCU but it was their keeper that saved them. That double save late in the second half was unbelievable...and it was Traore not Anderson..

Steelers
07-03-11, 04:57 PM
I'd probably go if it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Same here. The prices are a little over the top considering that this is a huge opportunity for the FFA to get some fan support in Brisbane.

shamus
07-03-11, 05:00 PM
Same here. The prices are a little over the top considering that this is a huge opportunity for the FFA to get some fan support in Brisbane.

Yeah....they doubled the price for 'A' seats from $48 to $98....Way to expensive....but my Mariners made it so I am going...

TITAN PETE
07-03-11, 05:45 PM
If whats been said on the radio is true then ticket prices are not keeping fans away when they have already sold 35k by Monday morning which is pretty good figures for the A-League

Steelers
07-03-11, 07:31 PM
If whats been said on the radio is true then ticket prices are not keeping fans away when they have already sold 35k by Monday morning which is pretty good figures for the A-League

Wow really? Well then, the A-League are making a very nice profit if that is the case!

Blazertaser
08-03-11, 07:48 PM

Well seeing as most games it looks like less then 5000 go to each game, id consider this a great step in how the game is expanding and evolving. I want all major league sports (NRL, AFL, A league etc.) in australia to succeed, as long as they dont venture out into stealing NRL players:fight:

Adelaide Titan
12-03-11, 10:41 PM
CCM to lead 1-0 early on and the Roar to run away 3-1 winners. Thank god monday is a public holiday here in Adelaide...can kick back tomorrow and have a few beers :D

DIEHARD
13-03-11, 06:23 PM
Absolutely pissing down at Lang Park, the home of Queensland Rugby League.

53rd minute, 0-0

TITAN PETE
13-03-11, 07:16 PM
I love a team that can be undefeated all season & are looking Gone in the 96th minute at 1-0 Mariners

TITAN PETE
13-03-11, 07:22 PM
50000 crowd in Brisbane & the Mariners have put it away from the Roar 2-0

TITAN PETE
13-03-11, 07:54 PM
Roar level up 2 all the win it in a shoot out 4-2... well deserved win

DIEHARD
14-03-11, 01:02 AM
Deserved win, you'd neck yourself if you were a Mariners fan. They looked home and hosed with 15mins to go in the extra time.

It would have been a crime against sport if Brisbane lost.

Where the Roar fans chanting QUEENSLAND? Or were my ears deceiving me?