PDA

View Full Version : Aussies in spot-fixing probe

Sydney Titans Fanatic
01-03-11, 06:02 PM
A FURIOUS Australian camp has slammed rumours they dabbled in spot-fixing as "ludicrous" amid fears the defending champions are being subjected to a malicious World Cup smear campaign.
The Australians were rocked by damaging allegations today that the International Cricket Council had begun a secret probe into possible match irregularities arising from Australia's World Cup opening victory over Zimbabwe in Ahmedabad.

The report, on an Indian newspaper website, claimed the ICC's Anti-Corruption and Security Unit (ACSU) is privately investigating the match after questions were raised over the slow start by Australian openers Brad Haddin and Shane Watson.

The opening pair scored just 28 in 11 overs and 53 in 15 overs in a match that Australia eventually won by 91 runs. The report said a slow scoring rate in the first two overs, when Australia had been 0-5, had been of particular concern to the ICC's corruption watchdog.

But Australian team manager Steve Bernard has rubbished the spot-fixing allegations as Ricky Ponting's side prepares for its next World Cup clash against Sri Lanka in Colombo this Saturday.

"If you're talking about the story out of India, I've only just heard of it ... and it's the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard in my life, that a side can be 0-5 after two overs and that's suspicious," Bernard said.

"I'm not sure if this is someone being adventurous or malicious but I don't pay any credence to it. It's the silliest thing I've heard this week and I've heard some silly things since I've been here.

"I can confirm that I've heard nothing whatsoever from the ICC.

"This is a nonsense. Any right-thinking person in the anti-corruption unit would see this for what it is.

"It doesn't make any sense. Most people are sensible enough to know in a contest there is some ebb and flow.

"I hope we haven't lost the plot yet."

The spectre of spot-fixing now looms over international cricket following the bans on Pakistan stars Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Aamir for spot-fixing last year on their side's tour of England.

According to the Indian media report, sources said the ICC ASCU was keeping a vigilant eye on all matches in the World Cup and the slow start by the Australian openers attracted their attention.

"They are taking no chances at all and all matches are under the scanner for possible indications that any spot-fixing has taken place," the source allegedly told the Indian newspaper.

The ICC, for confidentiality reasons, is refusing to confirm or deny the allegations.

Ravi Sawani, the head of the ACSU, told News Limited: "I'm sorry, I cannot comment on this matter. I have seen the report, yes, but I have nothing to add."

Bernard said the allegations were a slap in the face for the Zimbabweans, who deployed spin for 39 of their 50 overs to restrict Australia to 6-262 on a fine batting track in Ahmedabad.

"I saw the match," Bernard said. "(Zimbabwe spinner) Ray Price bowled very tight ... it was the start of our campaign and it was on a fresh track the guys weren't used to.

"It took a bit of time but we ended up with 260-odd, so I thought that was a pretty good score and we won the match well.

"Zimbabwe bowled well, they did a very good job, so they are demeaning the efforts of the Zimbabwe side.

"We had to work hard, they weren't a pushover, but we still won pretty well. Zimbabwe is a decent, competitive side."

Bernard said he had no plans to contact the ICC seeking to clarify the allegations.

"I won't ring them, there is nothing to chase. If they approach me so be it, but I have a lot of faith in the ICC getting it right. I don't think they'll be jumping at anything as spurious as this," he said.

"If I'm asked the question by the ICC, I'm happy to be transparent. So far they definitely haven't (contacted Bernard), maybe it's because the story has just come out. Who knows?

"There's nothing to remedy. If you speak to anyone in our team, they will feel the same way.

"We address the players on anti-corruption issues on every tour. The guys are aware of the ramifications of (match fixing) and I have complete and utter trust in them.

"When there has been an issue in the past, they've let me know straight away and it's been reported through the proper channels."

Former Pakistan captain Rashid Latif has already expressed fears that the format of this World Cup has opened a window for bookmakers to try to corrupt players since the top teams are virtually guaranteed to make the quarter-final phase.

Australian coach Tim Nielsen defended his openers following the Zimbabwe win, saying they played slowly according to the situation.

"I thought they played well in game one. Everyone had this perception that they went slowly. But if Zimbabwe were going to be competitive against us, they needed to take early wickets with their spinners. We're playing the way we think is the right way to play," Nielsen said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/cricket-world-cup/aussies-slow-start-to-be-scutinised/story-fn67w6pa-1226014289074

TITAN PETE
03-03-11, 09:03 AM
It's a joke & a poor attempt to make the Australian cricket side look corrupt :nope: , maybe they should focus their sights on the Poms who were beaten by Ireland last night :rolf:

Andrew11
05-04-11, 07:38 PM
I agree with the member above that the team should be fixed because they had given the slow start against a very week team of the group...Nowadays match fixing is becoming common and no match is played purely...You can't guess till the winning ball that whose gonna win it..