PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Rooster Anthony Watts in booze blunder

Sydney Titans Fanatic
01-03-11, 04:34 PM
THE Sydney Roosters are in crisis with the revelation another senior player has been involved in a serious alcohol-related incident.
New signing from the Cowboys, Anthony Watts, was forcibly removed from a Bondi Beach hotel recently in an incident that required security staff to call police.

No charges were laid but the hotel management phoned Sydney Roosters chief executive Steve Noyce the next day to lodge an official complaint with the club.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the club considered sacking Watts this week but decided against it because it would give the impression he was a scapegoat for Todd Carney's latest drama. Noyce last night denied the Roosters had attempted to cover up the Watts incident.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
PollShould NRL players be forced to give up the booze during the season?
Yes No Vote now
Related CoverageRoosters: You blew it but we still love you
Phil Rothfield: Buzz's blog - teach Todd a tough lesson
Drink drive: I wanted to quit NRL for good - Carney
Roosters: I need help for alcohol - Carney
Injury: Watts aiming for pre-Origin NRL return
Gallop orders Carney meeting FoxSports, 6 hours ago
Roosters no soft touch, says Noyce FoxSports, 1 day ago
Carney considers Alcoholics Anonymous FoxSports, 1 day ago
Roosters fear Carney has bigger problem The Australian, 1 day ago
Carney considered quitting after charge Perth Now, 2 days ago
.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
Season preview: Our experts give the lowdown on the Roosters

"It's about how you manage these things so people can learn from it," Noyce said. "There is no benefit in telling the world when a player is in a bit of trouble.

"I treat any incident with any of my players seriously and this one is no different.

"We are disappointed that it happened."

Need to change your SuperCoach team? Do it here

Watts, who is supposed to be in rehabilitation as he recovers from knee surgery, is expected to be given an official warning over his behaviour. Senior officials have been disappointed with his attitude since arriving at the club and gave serious consideration to terminating his deal.

The Roosters appeared to have shaken a reputation for off-field drama by rehabilitating the likes of Jake Friend, Nate Myles and Anthony Cherrington last year.

The latest incidents involving Carney and Watts has put the NRL under huge pressure to take action against the club.

Watts could not be contacted yesterday and his agent Sam Ayoub would not return emails.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/sydney-rooster-anthony-watts-in-booze-blunder/story-e6frexnr-1226013807931