PDA

View Full Version : Broncos to get tough on booze!

Dakink
23-12-05, 01:11 PM
The Brisbane Broncos have vowed to drop players who repeatedly breach the club's alcohol guidelines during next year's National Rugby League season.

Alcohol is banned in the club's dressing room after matches and players are not allowed to drink in the 72 hours leading up to a game.

Players have previously been fined for breaching the guidelines, but Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen says the club is prepared to stand down players next year.

"The more severe penalty would be to drop them to reserve grade, which is the Queensland Cup competition," he said.

"Now all of these guys aspire to and absolutely love playing in the NRL competition, so the thought of missing a game through maybe staying out too late or having too much to drink, we think, is a bigger deterrent than a monetary fine."

Mr Cullen stressed the club was happy for players to celebrate a victory, but in a restrained fashion.

"Sometimes the after-match celebrations, because they have been pretty good and pretty disciplined in the week leading up to a game, and it might be a big game and a good victory, and they have a couple of days off - that's your danger period," he said.

"We want them to recognise in that period it's OK to celebrate, but there are certain limits and we want them to adhere to them."

The new rules come after Broncos coach Wayne Bennett spoke about the effect binge drinking was having on the game.

"I'm sick of the drunks and I'm sick of our game being dragged through every media outlet in the country every time some guy behaves badly," said Bennett, who quit his job as Australia coach in the wake of the Tri-Nations final defeat to New Zealand.

DIEHARD
23-12-05, 01:15 PM
"I'm sick of the drunks and I'm sick of our game being dragged through every media outlet in the country every time some guy behaves badly," said Bennett.

I think we have all had a gutful of it.

Good to see the Broncos will be coming down on it hard.

Queenslander
23-12-05, 01:18 PM
"I'm sick of the drunks and I'm sick of our game being dragged through every media outlet in the country every time some guy behaves badly,"

Amen to that. All clubs should be having a 72 hour ban on booze before the game. Although a 365 day ban would be best for some players.

Dakink
23-12-05, 01:21 PM
Amen to that. All clubs should be having a 72 hour ban on booze before the game. Although a 365 day ban would be best for some players.

LOL - that would be most appropriate for a lot of them!

Queenslander
23-12-05, 01:23 PM
LOL - that would be most appropriate for a lot of them!

;) 365 day ban............Heaven helps us though when its a leap year :laugh:

Teegy
23-12-05, 02:29 PM
I dont like seeing the headlines but it their jobs. what would you say if your boss told you your not allowed to drink? its rediclus to expect these players to not drink. its their life.

Kingytek
23-12-05, 02:32 PM
Personally, if I had to play a professional game of RL then I wouldn't want to drink in the 72 hours leading up to a game anyway!

Dakink
23-12-05, 02:36 PM
I dont like seeing the headlines but it their jobs. what would you say if your boss told you your not allowed to drink? its rediclus to expect these players to not drink. its their life.

There are numerous jobs where you are not allowed to drink - From Police to train drivers - many many bosses dont let their staff (and rightly so) drink before their shift.

DIEHARD
23-12-05, 02:39 PM
There are numerous jobs where you are not allowed to drink - From Police to train drivers - many many bosses dont let their staff (and rightly so) drink before their shift.

But we aren't talking about during or before their shifts.

Drinking while training or playing.

We are talking about all year around. You can't ban people from drinking all year round. You need greater player education and responsibility. But our players will always be under the spotlight.

Dakink
23-12-05, 02:52 PM
I think you'll find the 365 day bit was tongue in cheek....

Aplogies for any misconceptions there. You cant ban anyone all year round, though you can on or before shift time if it is going to harm their performance or the company image.Also anytime these guys step out in public they are efffectively at work.

DeeGan
23-12-05, 05:21 PM
Comparing your job or mine to that of the professional athelete is like chalk and cheese - a bad hypothetical to bring to this discussion. No, my immediate boss would not tell me not to drink though if I did carry on like a 'pork chop' one night when on the drink it is not going to make front/back page news dragging my company's name through the dirt.

The professional rugby league player has a responsibility to the NRL, his club and himself to act in a responsible manner at all times. This is covered in great detail through the junior ranks and covered repeatedly by coaches and administration at all levels.

With the crap our game has gone through in the past off the field with players on the drink, you do not have to be Einstein to figure out your going to make headlines if your carry on like a right goose - especially if your a top echelon talent.

The Brisbane Broncos will be the first of more than likely all NRL clubs to adopt such a tough stance - more power to them, the move has to be made.

DeeGan

Super Cronk
23-12-05, 05:23 PM

Are you for real? its not their job to be pissed...its not their job to make idiots of themselves in public.

If your boss tells you not to drink then you dont! Thats why he is your boss, if you dont like it ..... :hi: :hi: :hi:

Dakink
23-12-05, 05:25 PM
No, my immediate boss would not tell me not to drink though if I did carry on like a 'pork chop' one night when on the drink it is not going to make front/back page news dragging my company's name through the dirt.

No that wouldnt make front\back page news - though I can gaurantee it would if you were a public figure such as politician (the one that just got in trouble for being drunk in session), judge, police any other occupation where the public demands high standards of behaviour and their is such high media scrutiny the same behaviour WOULD make front\back page news.

The Brisbane Broncos will be the first of more than likely all NRL clubs to adopt such a tough stance - more power to them, the move has to be made.

This should become standard policy for all clubs.

League Freak
23-12-05, 06:05 PM
Bennett is really doing his best to smother the most pathetic coaching display in the last 30 years.

Steelers
23-12-05, 06:30 PM
Are you for real? its not their job to be pissed...its not their job to make idiots of themselves in public.

If your boss tells you not to drink then you dont! Thats why he is your boss, if you dont like it ..... :hi: :hi: :hi:

So basically if your boss said you weren't able to drink at all, you wouldn't?

Queenslander
23-12-05, 07:26 PM
I think its a simple matter. These blokes are getting paid quite a bit of money and if their employer/club asks them not to drink then they should. If they say no; then they can say goodbye to their money.

But with the IQ of some players if we ban alcohol then they may go to some other means of getting a kick. :hmm:

DIEHARD
23-12-05, 07:32 PM
It isn't a matter of telling players not to drink.

But if they drink to do so in moderation and responsibly. And to always represent the club and game in a positive light.

Rugby League players must realise they are always on duty.

Super Cronk
23-12-05, 08:42 PM
So basically if your boss said you weren't able to drink at all, you wouldn't?

Yeah we are talking about alcohol right? and the answer to that is yes.

but i respect myself and im not going to go out and get blind and make a d*ck of myself....these footy players have it all, money, attention, looks (some of them anyway)....no need to wreck it all just for a drink or 2...or 10.

If its after a big win or sitting in the locker room with the team ..then sure a can isnt going to hurt...

Social Loafer
23-12-05, 09:35 PM
FFS, All of these people are grown men (well legally anyway), they are allowed to have a drink, but why do they have to get hammered and make clowns of themselves.
If they are so keen to get wasted, do it on a private property, most of these players have their own places, so go to woolies, buy a few cases, go home and drink yourself stupid if you are that keen, just don't bother doign it in public, because they know people will find out.

wombat68
24-12-05, 05:57 AM
very hypocritical of the Bronco hierachy,considering someone in management must of been totally wasted when they decided to resign
Dane Carlaw!!! :nope: