PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane Bombers thread - 2nd BNE NRL

DIEHARD
23-01-11, 02:29 PM
http://www.bnenrlbid.com.au/BNENRLBID.JPG

Facebook - CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE FACEBOOK (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brisbane-NRL-Expansion-Bid)

DIEHARD
23-01-11, 02:31 PM
I have no further information on where they plan on representing. Whether it be south Brisbane or not. Only that it is possible that the person behind it is linked to a high profile Rugby League administrator.

DIEHARD
23-01-11, 02:35 PM
Registrant Contact Name Nick Livermore

DIEHARD
28-01-11, 08:10 PM
Bennett won't coach second Brisbane team

The prospect of a second NRL team in Brisbane took a hit on Friday, with champion Queensland coach Wayne Bennett saying he wouldn't support their proposal.

The seven-time premiership winner had been mooted as a potential coach of the franchise, which is aiming to enter the NRL as soon as the 2013 season.

But Bennett, who is off contract at the St George Illawarra Dragons at the end of 2011, quickly ended any speculation that he could be interested in the fledgling concept.

In fact, the idea of having another Brisbane team to rival his beloved Broncos doesn't appeal to the 60-year-old supercoach at all.

"No, it wouldn't be my choice," Bennett told reporters on Friday.

When pressed on what location he would recommend the NRL pursue, Bennett kept his thoughts to himself.

"I've got lots of preferences (for where the next expansion team should be) but no one is going to take a lot of notice of that, so we won't talk about it today," Bennett said.

The Australian

TITAN PETE
29-01-11, 08:58 AM
Very happy if the bid upsets the Donkeys

onlooker
29-01-11, 03:14 PM
Ipswich NRL bid and CQ NRL bid along with Wayne Bennett have spoken against this bid, Johnathan Thurston also when asked about talked up Perth.

DIEHARD
30-01-11, 01:28 PM
I certainly won't speak out against it. I think it is silly to decry it especially with the magnitude of Queensland history of the sport and it's popularity, it's facilities and the corporate support in the state.

It's just a matter of when. And the Western Jets bid would be feeling very threatened as this cuts off alot of it's pluses ie a Brisbane influence.

I can see all these bids as having a place in the Rugby League World. First up I'd probably lean towards servicing the thousands of new people living in the region of South Brisbane, Logan, Ipswich and Springfield. I'm a total convert in the need for a team here eventually.

People can claim that they already follow the Titans or Broncos, but to what extent? There are alot of Titans gear in Logan and south Brisbane. More than the Broncos. But we traditionally show our colours more. These fans probably don't attend many or any games and watch on TV. I don't see a new team cutting into that too much. Queensland RL fans will watch all games involving QLD teams especially those on Free To Air.

Oh but, I am enjoying this.

Ryan
30-01-11, 02:27 PM
I'm with Pete - The biggest positive in this bid for me is seeing the donkeys getting taken down a peg or two.

But I think they left their run for a decent bid too late. Alot can happen in 6 months, but there is alot more that can't happen in 6 months. And I cant see Gallop or the board jumping on what seems a rushed bid.

DIEHARD
05-02-11, 02:44 PM
The question is, are they different from the Broncos or just a copy?

The Rugby League world does not need another Broncos.

Alot of the stuff thrown up by this bid is gimmicky and unfounded...

Not a good start.

TITAN PETE
08-02-11, 09:49 AM
David Beniuk AAP Mon, 07 Feb 2011 17:59:00

A second rugby league team in Brisbane is "on the cards" at some point in the future, NRL boss David Gallop has conceded. Copyright: Getty Images
A second rugby league team in Brisbane is "on the cards" at some point in the future, NRL boss David Gallop has conceded.

Gallop on Monday met with members of a consortium proposing a second side in the Queensland capital if the league expands in 2013 to coincide with a new broadcast deal.

He said the bid was still in its early stages, but the energy of the group, led by former Thoroughbreds chairman Craig Davison, was undeniable.

The Thoroughbreds, a group of Brisbane businessmen, support Brisbane rivals the Broncos.

"It was useful to put a face to the media speculation," Gallop told AAP on Monday evening.

"Expansion is not on the agenda but we have said we expect to review that position in the later half of 2011.

"The strength of the game in Queensland is obvious to everyone but they, like any other potential bid, would need to demonstrate and that they have a sustainable business model and they bring a benefit to the entire competition.

"There's a bit of a way to go but we are happy to continue some dialogue with them.

"They're in the early days but you wouldn't knock their enthusiasm."

But Gallop's comments to reporters at an All Stars community event earlier on Monday would have been music to the consortium's ears.

"The strength of the game in Queensland, the population growth that's expected in South East Queensland, those are factors that would have to say that a second team out of Brisbane at some point would be on the cards," he said.

As well as the consortium from Brisbane, bids have been flagged by Ipswich, Central Queensland, Perth and NSW Central Coast plus, offshore, Wellington and Papua New Guinea.

The NRL has been insistent that any new team would need to grow the game's financial resources so current clubs were not adversely affected.

"It is exciting for the game that there are areas that want to be involved but we have to be careful to look at the impact on the existing 16 clubs and our existing players," Gallop said.

"We want to grow the pie for them and make sure that they're getting paid more money in the future.

"We would be looking at a sustainable business model but we'd also be looking at something that brought something to the table for everyone involved in the competition, something that's going to help the game grow."

onlooker
08-02-11, 12:19 PM
David Beniuk AAP Mon, 07 Feb 2011 17:59:00

A second rugby league team in Brisbane is "on the cards" at some point in the future, NRL boss David Gallop has conceded. Copyright: Getty Images
A second rugby league team in Brisbane is "on the cards" at some point in the future, NRL boss David Gallop has conceded.

Gallop on Monday met with members of a consortium proposing a second side in the Queensland capital if the league expands in 2013 to coincide with a new broadcast deal.

He said the bid was still in its early stages, but the energy of the group, led by former Thoroughbreds chairman Craig Davison, was undeniable.

The Thoroughbreds, a group of Brisbane businessmen, support Brisbane rivals the Broncos.

"It was useful to put a face to the media speculation," Gallop told AAP on Monday evening.

"Expansion is not on the agenda but we have said we expect to review that position in the later half of 2011.

"The strength of the game in Queensland is obvious to everyone but they, like any other potential bid, would need to demonstrate and that they have a sustainable business model and they bring a benefit to the entire competition.

"There's a bit of a way to go but we are happy to continue some dialogue with them.

"They're in the early days but you wouldn't knock their enthusiasm."

But Gallop's comments to reporters at an All Stars community event earlier on Monday would have been music to the consortium's ears.

"The strength of the game in Queensland, the population growth that's expected in South East Queensland, those are factors that would have to say that a second team out of Brisbane at some point would be on the cards," he said.

As well as the consortium from Brisbane, bids have been flagged by Ipswich, Central Queensland, Perth and NSW Central Coast plus, offshore, Wellington and Papua New Guinea.

The NRL has been insistent that any new team would need to grow the game's financial resources so current clubs were not adversely affected.

"It is exciting for the game that there are areas that want to be involved but we have to be careful to look at the impact on the existing 16 clubs and our existing players," Gallop said.

"We want to grow the pie for them and make sure that they're getting paid more money in the future.

"We would be looking at a sustainable business model but we'd also be looking at something that brought something to the table for everyone involved in the competition, something that's going to help the game grow."

Ahh you gotta love journalist, there is nothing new in this article that wasn't said 2-3wks ago.

DIEHARD
20-02-11, 02:46 PM
New NRL Brisbane team gathers support

THE Battle for Brisbane begins tomorrow when the consortium bidding for the city's second NRL team holds a media conference at Suncorp Stadium.
Although, I wouldn't be surprised if the real action kicks off over the road a few hours later.

That's when the movers and shakers behind the bid will be putting on a feed at Iceworks bar and restaurant.

Having whiled away many enjoyable hours at Iceworks, I know from personal experience that there are a lot worse ways to spend an afternoon. If bid chairman Craig Davison wants to win over the hearts and minds of the locals, it's a good place to start.

Let's face it, the NRL's new commissioners will decide if the second Brisbane team becomes a reality but the people of Brisbane will determine whether it succeeds.

When news of the bid broke a couple of weeks ago, the question I heard often was, "Who would support a team like that?"

My answer was, "I would". I reckon plenty of others would too.

Last weekend I was discussing the bid's chances with a man who had a lot to do with the now defunct South Queensland Crushers. According to him, it wasn't lack of spectator support that killed the Crushers. It was lack of ARL support.

The Crushers were a victim of bad timing. They attracted plenty of crowds and sponsorship in their first year, but the arrival of Super League sounded their death-knell.

When Super League was desperate to sign up a 10th team, it made an offer to the Crushers that was the largest it had made to any club. The Crushers board was split until chairman Dick "Tosser" Turner, a lifelong rugby league traditionalist, gave his vote to the ARL.

When the two competitions came together, the Crushers were a casualty. According to my man, if Tosser had voted for Super League and secured the backing of News Limited, the club would probably still be alive today.

Of course, that's all ancient history now but it does show that the support base for a second Brisbane club isn't pie in the sky. It was there in 1995, it will still be there today.

Back to that question: Who would support a second Brisbane team? Well, people who don't like the Broncos for starters. There are still those who blame the Broncos for killing off the old Brisbane Rugby League. And for hatching Super League. And for the assassination of JFK for all I know. They just don't like them.

Then there are the ex-pats; dyed in the wool supporters of Sydney or other interstate clubs who will never be anything but Dragons, Rabbitohs or Roosters fans. Those clubs only come to town once a year so their supporters are looking for a second team to cheer on and take their kids to on a regular basis.

Then there are people like me. Those whose clubs don't exist any more. When Super League killed the North Sydney Bears, I was left without a club to cheer for, anguish over, fume about.

Living in Brisbane, I support the Broncos but it's not the same. It's hard to give yourself totally to a team which once spanked your side 44-6 at Lang Park (although we did beat them 15-14 in the '94 semis). See what I mean?

But a new club that has no history, that never shattered your dreams of seeing your team win at least one premiership before you shuffled off to the big Moreton Bay fig in the sky, now that's another story altogether.

Emotional claptrap? Well obviously, but there's plenty of solid reasons for a second team in Brisbane. There's Suncorp, the best league ground in the world, sitting idle for half the competition.

There's sponsors who are locked out of league because their competitors have tied up the Broncos. Kids who will go for a club because it's new or because they like the jersey. Like, whatever.

There's the fact that the Broncos are so good on and off the field that a second team here would have to be nothing short of sensational just to survive, raising the bar for the Broncos and everyone else, which could only be good for sports fans.

I reckon it just makes better sense than any alternative. As long as they keep holding media get-togethers at Iceworks, count me in.

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au

DIEHARD
20-02-11, 02:48 PM
Very very interesting!

DIEHARD
20-02-11, 03:29 PM
Polynesian ploy as Toutai Kefu joins Brisbane NRL bid team

THE Brisbane bid consortium has struck another blow in the expansion battle with the NRL hopefuls securing the services of former Wallabies star Toutai Kefu.

On the eve of the prospective franchise's official launch at Suncorp Stadium tomorrow, The Sunday Mail can reveal Kefu has agreed to join forces with the bid team by accepting a role mentoring Polynesian youth.

The position is formally subject to the bid team clinching an NRL licence, but Kefu's commitment underlines the ominous momentum being generated by the Brisbane consortium.

Kefu is steeped in rugby union tradition, playing 60 Tests for the Wallabies between 1997-2003, but is relishing the prospect of cultivating the next generation of Polynesian league talent.

"This gives me an opportunity to work in another sport and help out with Polynesian kids," Kefu said.

"Bill Rae (Brisbane bid delegate) is a friend of mine and he had been talking to me about the bid for a few months.

"I honestly didn't take him seriously at first, but then the whole thing started to gain a bit of momentum. I signed on as an ambassador thinking nothing of it, but the bid has kicked on and it sounds great. I'm hoping they get an NRL licence. I'd love to be a part of it.

"Basically, I'll be working with Polynesian kids in a mentoring and talent identification role.

"If you look at the NRL teams these days, almost 50 per cent of players are Polynesian. So with my background and the level I reached in my sport, I think I can offer some mentoring and advice to Polynesian kids."

Rae said the acquisition of Kefu was a major coup for the bid team, which will announce a raft of sponsorship deals at its launch tomorrow. "Toutai is a Queensland and Wallabies' legend so this shows our bid has credibility," Rae said.

"We're rapt to have him on board as part of our vision. We're determined to see as many kids as possible playing rugby league in Brisbane and Toutai will have a big role in that."

The 36-year-old Kefu, who is currently coaching rugby on the Sunshine Coast, believes Polynesian athletes need to be better understood by top-level league and rugby coaches.

"Polynesian athletes do have to be handled differently to white players," he said.

"They relate to other Polynesian coaches or grown-ups. They can be hard to handle sometimes. Away from football, it's important to strike up relationships with them.

"Most of us are from lower-to-middle class backgrounds so we've treaded the same paths.

"I can use my experience along the way to guide Polynesian athletes and help them with life skills away from the field.

"If you take them out of their home environment, they can become homesick.

"And Polynesian people are creatures of habit, we are very close to our families.

"Sometimes with the financial success, they can lose their way with money."

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au

Blazertaser
21-02-11, 03:36 PM
Battle For Brisbane

The consortium seeking to establish a second Brisbane NRL team has made it clear it will chase longtime Brisbane Broncos mentor Wayne Bennett to be its inaugural coach.

The group, headed by Craig Davidson, a former member of Broncos supporters group the Thoroughbreds, released details of its plans in Brisbane on Monday, billing it as the Battle of Brisbane.

Davidson and his bid partners, meat industry mogul Bill Rae and Nicholas Livermore, the son of Queensland Rugby League chairman Ross Livermore, believe they already have the corporate backing and facilities to win approval to go head-to-head with the Broncos if rugby league's new commission gives the nod to NRL expansion.

"It's astonishing the interest pouring in from all areas," Davidson told AAP.

The consortium officially launched a website and unveiled their first four official sponsors at Suncorp Stadium where they plan to play their home games on alternate weeks to the Broncos.

Fans will be able to suggest what players they would like recruited, the club's nickname and the team's colours at www.BattleForBrisbane.com.au.

They have conditional sponsorship agreements with Bundaberg Rum, sportswear company Canterbury, media organisation Austereo and betting agency Centrebet, who have expressed interest in being their major sponsor.

Rival booker Sportingbet Australia last week committed to a new three-year deal with six-time premiers the Broncos for a reported $1.5 million.

Davidson said if reports suggesting NRL master coach Bennett would reject a $1 million-plus offer from South Sydney proved correct it would give his consortium hope of landing him, turning back the clock to 1988 when a young Bennett began his reign as the Broncos' inaugural coach.

"My stance all along is that we want the best CEO, best coach and best players if we clinch an NRL licence," Davidson told News Ltd.

If Davidson's bid team is successful the Broncos will have their first crosstown rivals since the South East Queensland Crushers who debuted in 1995, playing out of Suncorp Stadium before falling victim to the Super League war and folding in 1997 after back-to-back wooden spoons.

Brisbane have had free rein since and they've also been the NRL's best performer in crowds and TV ratings.

http://nrl.com/the-battle-of-brisbane-is-on/tabid/10874/newsid/61421/default.aspx

Blazertaser
21-02-11, 03:42 PM
One thing i notice that is strange behind that news, that the donkeys actually have a specific supporter group? Unless they mean something along the lines of a forum being their supporter group, because i don't see any Legion or Burrow etc. happening over at suncorp?

DIEHARD
23-02-11, 07:17 PM
One thing i notice that is strange behind that news, that the donkeys actually have a specific supporter group? Unless they mean something along the lines of a forum being their supporter group, because i don't see any Legion or Burrow etc. happening over at suncorp?

The Thoroughbreds are a high flying millionaire supporters group of the Broncos. Nothing like The Legion or Burrow. I believe they offer 3rd party support, corporate backing, business advice and mentoring. Stuff along those lines.

Unfortunately for Broncos fan there is nothing similar to The Legion. And no General Admission seats at Lang Park. And there is no Official Forum just an independent one.

All reasons why the Titans rules. :thumbsup:

Sydney Titans Fanatic
01-03-11, 06:44 PM
MELBOURNE Storm and Queensland Origin star Cooper Cronk would consider playing for Ipswich if the Jets' NRL bid was successful, it has been reported.
The Jets are jostling with bids from Brisbane, Central Queensland, the NSW Central Coast and Perth for the right to host the next NRL side and Brisbane-raised Cronk is open to the idea of a Queensland homecoming.

"There's a number of places that are vying for a spot and (Ipswich) is one of the areas. I've still got friends and family (in Brisbane so) I would consider everything,"

DIEHARD
01-03-11, 06:51 PM
Cronk did come from South Brisbane. He'd be a blue ribbon signing for any new franchise, whether it be Brisbane or Ipswich.

Sydney Titans Fanatic
01-03-11, 07:15 PM
yer cronk is a 5 star player its like taking princey from us

Boofhead
01-03-11, 09:19 PM
Cronk would be a solid foundation signing for any club. Born to be a captain for mine, he commands the respect from his team mates so easily.

onlooker
02-03-11, 06:45 PM
I don't think Cronk would ever leave the Storm, he loves being a high profile football player that isn't bugged inside his own city.

Boofhead
05-05-11, 02:11 PM
The Bid Team, in conjunction with B105, will be holding a contest on May 9th to determine the winner of the Build Our Team contest.

The Contest is simple: Build Our Team! Using the "Build Our Team" Flash app, entrants are to design the new team around one of the 15 shortlisted team names.

To be accepted, entrants must include their full name and email address, as well as the team's name, and both design and colours for the jersey, shorts and socks.

Entries close soon, so get designing!

The shortlisted names are:

Brisbane Barracudas
Brisbane Bayliners
Brisbane Bobcats
Brisbane Bombers
Brisbane Braves
Brisbane Brewers
Brisbane Buccaneers
Brisbane Heat
Eastern Stingrays
Rivercity Kookaburras
South Queensland Cyclones
South Queensland Dolphins
South Queensland Rogues
South Queensland Spartans
South Queensland Taipans

http://www.battleforbrisbane.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=107:b105-contest&catid=39:media-coverage&Itemid=66

I like a few there but there is still some duffers.

AmericanTitan
05-05-11, 02:20 PM
I'll never understand the fascination with alliteration in sports names, but it seems to just be an accepted way of naming a team.

Oh well, I do kind of like the Brisbane Barracudas.

Boofhead
05-05-11, 02:25 PM
Brisbane Barracudas
Brisbane Buccaneers
Eastern Stingrays
Rivercity Kookaburras
South Queensland Cyclones
South Queensland Rogues

Would be my short-list, I personally like the Brisbane Barbarians!

Steelers
05-05-11, 02:33 PM
I think those shortlisted names are terrible. Open it up to the public for more suggestions.

DIEHARD
05-05-11, 03:57 PM
No Brisbane Diehards. FAIL.

Spartans is a waste of name, as it is nearly the same thing as US, the Titans!

Dolphins implies that Redcliffe is deep in tinvolvement with this bid.

Bombers basically rips off the name of the Ipswich bid.

Bucaneers is crap and has nothing to do with Brisbane.

Cyclones in Brisbane? Please!

WTF is a Bayliner?!

Braves? We don't have Native Americans in Australia!

Brisbane Heat is the new name of that Twenty20 franchise!!!

Brewers? Seriously. We aren't American. I'm disappointed that BNE2 seems to be Broncos Mark 2 here.

Kookaburras, Rogues and Dolphins are the only decent ones IMO.

I say South Queensland Dolphins! That is meaningful and marketable.

The only drawback is that doesn't drive the Broncos ape ####. Because it isn't BRISBANE.

DIEHARD
05-05-11, 04:01 PM
I'll never understand the fascination with alliteration in sports names, but it seems to just be an accepted way of naming a team.

Oh well, I do kind of like the Brisbane Barracudas.

It's mindless and weak marketing. And disrespects the public's capacity to embrace names that don't rhyme like Seasame Street.

In Brisbane also we have the Brisbane Bandits (Baseball), Brisbane Bears (AFL, merged with Fitzroy to make the Lions), Brisbane Bullets (Basketball but nolonger in the competition, were owned by a business man who collapsed, trying to be readmitted) and then the Brisbane Broncos.

There was even the Brisbane Blue Tongues, who were ice hockey. Last I heard they relocated to the Gold Coast.

Full credit to the Gold Coast Titans who broke this trend! :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
05-05-11, 04:02 PM
With the amount of poxy names are they just trying to give the Dolphins a clear run?

Coaster
05-05-11, 04:09 PM
The Brisbane Floods

Chaos
05-05-11, 04:45 PM
The Brisbane Floods

ha ha...good one

How can you call them 'South Queensland' if there are already two teams in South Queensland?

DIEHARD
05-05-11, 04:57 PM
ha ha...good one

How can you call them 'South Queensland' if there are already two teams in South Queensland?

Well in 1995 the ARL admitted the North Queensland Cowboys and the South Queensland Crushers. And there was already the Gold Coast Seagulls and Brisbane Broncos in South Queensland.

South Queensland offers them the chance to reach out to a bigger geography. And if Redcliffe are on board as a backer, it'd have to be SQ.

I'm all for South Queensland, but the idea of two Brisbane teams is hard to resist. It would make Broncos fans brains melt. :thumbsup:

Chaos
05-05-11, 05:02 PM
Well in 1995 the ARL admitted the North Queensland Cowboys and the South Queensland Crushers. And there was already the Gold Coast Seagulls and Brisbane Broncos in South Queensland.

South Queensland offers them the chance to reach out to a bigger geography. And if Redcliffe are on board as a backer, it'd have to be SQ.

I'm all for South Queensland, but the idea of two Brisbane teams is hard to resist. It would make Broncos fans brains melt. :thumbsup:

I'm not with calling them Brisbane either...surely there is another option?

DIEHARD
05-05-11, 05:15 PM
Well Sydney once had the Sydney Tigers, Sydney Bulldogs and Sydney City Roosters in the 1990s.

The Broncos have no exclusive claim on the name Brisbane IMO and the name itself would be of great financial benefit to any new team.

But South Queensland would offer the chance to include Toowoomba, Ipswich, Redcliffe and the Sunshine Coast. But that is creeping in on the Ipswich Jets bid, which might be blown out of the water.

DIEHARD
09-05-11, 06:21 PM
One thing I love about The Legion is that it also throws away the alliteration out as well.

Gold Coast
Titans
Legion

DIEHARD
09-05-11, 06:21 PM
Although one of the names I wanted as the Gold Coast was

Gold Coast Gryphons.

They love GOLD and their favourite meal is HORSE. No joke!

Blazertaser
10-05-11, 01:52 PM
Did they honestly put in Brisbane Bayliners....

DIEHARD
10-05-11, 02:00 PM
Did they honestly put in Brisbane Bayliners....

Yep, really poor effort all around with that list. With only 2-3 real contenders.

Blazertaser
12-05-11, 11:31 AM
Yep, really poor effort all around with that list. With only 2-3 real contenders.

Especially seeing that the Brisbane Barracudas are the brisbane women's national waterpolo team :doh:

DIEHARD
12-05-11, 05:03 PM
Especially seeing that the Brisbane Barracudas are the brisbane women's national waterpolo team :doh:

Oh boy. There is another one. It's unforgivable for using names that are already used. That sportsfans can quickly point out. They are supposed to be professionals.

DIEHARD
01-06-11, 04:34 PM
Rumour that they will base themselves at Albion Park in Brisbane's northside. Which would be pretty damn cool in my opinion.

DIEHARD
01-06-11, 04:36 PM
I think the best names would be....

Gryphons, Diehards, Rangers, Dolphins (South QLD) or Kookaburras.

But only two of these are on the official list.

But they say you can still vote through the website and it will be considered.

Blazertaser
01-06-11, 04:50 PM
I think the best names would be....

Gryphons, Diehards, Rangers, Dolphins (South QLD) or Kookaburras.

But only two of these are on the official list.

But they say you can still vote through the website and it will be considered.

Biased? :laugh:

DIEHARD
01-06-11, 04:59 PM
Biased? :laugh:

Hah maybe a bit, :laugh: but on the flipside it'd be cool to see an old team like the Bears or Newtown Jets come back in some sort of top flight form. But the fact is there are too many NSW teams and Queensland has nearly half the RL participants and so requires more NRL representation in the future.

Especially to help Origin.

The Ipswich aka Western Corridor bid's idea of community ownership like the Green Bay Packers is facinating. But I wonder if it would work.

DIEHARD
01-06-11, 04:59 PM
Just restore Brothers, Wests and Valleys as well as Toowoomba to the QCUP and my life will be complete. ;) Throw in a PNG team while Im throwing teams and millions around. haha

DIEHARD
02-06-11, 04:03 PM
Brisbane bid team building big war chest to take on Broncos

THE Brisbane NRL bid team is set to match the Broncos as a corporate juggernaut with the prospective franchise on course to secure a $15 million sponsorship war chest.

Several companies, including Bundaberg Rum and Centrebet, have backed the Brisbane consortium, which is hoping to enter the NRL in 2013 as Queensland's fourth team.

The Brisbane bid is upping the ante in the expansion race, with the organisation last week releasing a list of 15 prospective nicknames that will be voted on by the public and whittled down to two or three by July.

The Broncos have long been regarded as the NRL's flagship club in a host of key areas, including crowds and sponsorship, but the Brisbane consortium says it would be one of the code's most viable outfits.

"From a sponsorship perspective, we believe we will have between 12 to 15 million dollars in our first year," said Brisbane bid chief Craig Davison.

"Add to that the NRL grant and our private investors and we're up around 20 million (dollars), which is a very strong first-year bid.

"It will be a financially sound bid, one of the top accounting firms is currently doing our numbers and it's looking very good.

"We will be sufficiently funded no problem at all. You need between 12 to 14 million per year to run an NRL team and we will certainly achieve that."

Davison said the consortium would release its official brand around mid-July after voting on their nickname.

"We've had about 20,000 hits suggesting names and colours," he said.

"We have a list of 15 names and there's dozens of concepts for designs, people have sent through all sorts of designs.

"We've been blown away by the interest, it just goes to show there is room for a second NRL team in Brisbane."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/

DIEHARD
02-06-11, 04:05 PM
BNE2 really need to get a name, colours and a base of operations before they can build a fanbase and credibility.

I hope they don't pick a rubbish name. Kookaburras is growing on me. It's Australian and my favourite bird.

DIEHARD
17-07-11, 05:15 AM
We are the Brisbane Bombers
Brisbane NRL Expansion Bid

The Brisbane Bombers are here.

At 10am (AEST) on Thursday July 14, 2011, the Brisbane Expansion Bid announced their name for a proposed expanded NRL competition: The Brisbane Bombers.

The Bid Team made the announcement at Albion Park, the proposed training ground as Bid Director Craig Davison stressed that the Brisbane Bombers are ready to enter the NRL competition as early as 2013.

?This is a very exciting day for the consortium, the Bid Partners and the fans who have supported us from the outset. We have maintained for a number of weeks now that 2013 is our target, but we have a sliding business plan in place that will adjust as necessary.?

The Bid Team had been hosting a promotion to ?Build our Team? with Bid Partner Austereo on its B105 radio network and culminated with a selected winner choosing the name and colours best suited for the proposed team.

?We had over 12,000 entries in the build our team competition and the Brisbane Bombers was a popular choice and a great fit for the direction for the proposed team? Davison stated.

Davison announced the brand alongside Bid Ambassador Billy Moore in a launch that ensured the team made an impact as well as sending a clear message to the NRL ? the Brisbane Bombers are ready to go.

Coinciding with the Brisbane Bombers announcement, was that Chrysler Australia had become a Bid Partner with their Jeep brand as the official automotive partner with the newly announced team.

At the launch, Bid Director Nicholas Livermore discussed the proposed home ground and brand and why the Brisbane Bombers was the ultimate selection for a proposed team.

?This team will create its own history, both on and off the field. We have an incredibly creative design team behind us with some very unique concepts, both on game day and as a club that we believe will get its opportunity to demonstrate what it brings as a new, fresh appeal to the fans who have been waiting a very long time here in Brisbane.

?We have unveiled our logo here today, but make no mistake, this is a brand that has every concept mapped and we will work hard to capture the hearts of Rugby League supporters. We have spent a lot of time and energy planning out what can offer fans something new and exciting ? not just in Brisbane, but for the sport as a whole.?

The brand launch provided an overview of the conditional arrangement in place with Racing Queensland Limited outlining the proposed facilities of Albion Park including:

?The club?s administration housed on the second floor of the existing building, with the ground floor being refurbished into a state of the art player?s gymnasium.
?Two training fields positioned at the front of the administration building and it will be complete with facilities so the public can come along to watch training or any games.
?The existing grandstand at Albion Park will be refurbished to house a community club including public facilities such as a swimming pool. The history of Albion Park will be acknowledged in a designated area encapsulating the rich history of the site.
?Total area occupied by the Bombers is approximately four hectares and engineers have indicated that the training fields will play an integral role in managing flooding for the remainder of the site.
?In addition to the sporting fields, a massive urban area recreation area for the entire community will be incorporated with cycle and pedestrian links to Allan Border field and Crosby Park. Any development must comply with Council?s Albion Neighbourhood Plan.
The launch didn?t unveil specific plans due to the Expansion Team outlining their desire to protect the integrity of their Bid Documentation, however Bill Rae, Bid Director and responsible for Community Development stated that ?We have a seven-figure target for grassroots and feeder clubs under our financial structure that has been signed off on by our accountants.

?I?ve met with a wide range of stakeholders, including a number of well respected NRL figureheads and jointly we have mapped out with them in detail as to what we will offer both in the way of development and financial support if we are given the license in the NRL.

?The structure that underpins this club of Community, Integrity, Sustainability and Success will ensure that Rugby League in Brisbane and in our target catchment has an opportunity to partake in what we believe will be a revolutionary approach for grassroots development.?

Davison closed the launch stating that the Expansion Bid had finalised its documentation with chartered accountants Price Waterhouse Coopers and that it now would turn its full attention to pursuing the Independent Commission and the NRL for the 17th license for the 2013 season.

http://www.brisbanebombers.com.au/

DIEHARD
17-07-11, 05:46 AM
Where do I start... Where do I start... :drinkies:

I think they have done alot right but also alot wrong.

The name for starters, in it's own right a fine name. But in the Australian sporting world, we have the Essendon Bombers in AFL. Even a clean slate I'd go for a new name entirely.

I also find the name selection process dubious (I love that word). We had an extended public call for colours, names and jerseys. Yet the Brisbane Bombers business was set up in Feb. Was the process just a marketing exercise?

Mercifully they didnt pick any other the other dodgy names they were looking at. Although River City Kookaburras has merit.

Bombers is also an interesting name. Because in Rugby League terms the word BOMB means to butcher a scoring opportunity and it is also the name for the most uninspiring attacking kick.

Some speculate that this is a ploy to get people talking about the bid. Well it kind of worked, but most of the drama is in Victoria and they wont be coming through the gates at Lang Park. And instead of people embracing the new entity and marvelling it, there is alot of negativity surrounding it's discussion.

Instead of talking about sponsors, colours, players, feeder teams, stadiums, ambassadors and junior development we are talking about a name.

I think the general branding is pretty good, it's not a typical logo and it's classy. It's similar to an idea I had with the London based Super League franchise the Harlequins. A brand I despise. Particularly because it meant dropping the geographic name of LONDON. Anyway I wanted to see a rebrand to LONDON RUGBY LEAGUE but the name I came up with was Spitfires. Something unique but also drawing on something distinctly London. (Battle of Britain)

They say they are going to link up with Souths Logan and Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles as feeder teams and leave Broncos and Titans affiliated clubs alone. That's good. And Souths are a strong area and traditional club who deserve an NRL partner.

Albion Park. Oh where do I begin! I love Albion Park and basically grew up there as my family was into harness racing and later the greyhounds. It's a fantastic location that takes in 18.5 hectares of prime land. It is also across the fence from Allan Border Oval, formerly Neumann Oval. The home of the old Valleys Diehards.

It gets complicated because they are negotiating with Racing Queensland. As RQ want to move harness and greyhounds to a Deagon multi use facility. They instigated this after a merging of the three race codes. Something I very much disagree with. The basics of the story is that RQ and Chairman Bob Bentley promised the greyhounds they would build not just a track at Logan (Replacement for the now defunct Gold Coast, due to the State Government resuming land) but would committ to a more sophisicated development. The greyhounds jumped early and painted harness into a corner. The government threatened to cut off funds if they didnt agree. They were forced to but alledge that they were promised a redeveloped Albion Park as their HQ.

Flash forward a mere few months and RQ release a racing infrastructure plan to inject funds into tracks, primarily gallops around QLD. But it actually hinged on the sale of Albion Park.

But there are powerful opponents of this. Harness racing has cried foul and instigated legal action against RQ. Powerful harness racing identities such as Kevin Seymour and Clive Palmer are dedicated to derailing it. It's currently before the courts. Former Brisbane Lord Mayor Campbell Newman has also come out to say he would do everything he can to stop it. He continues this policy as he heads into a State Election as possible future Premier. Probably not surprising as the LNP enjoy alot of support from Clive Palmer. But Im sure his intentions are sincere.

After all that, my effort to set the scene. I say to the Bombers. Your proposal is stil very much possible. But the likelihood of Albion Park not continuing to be at least the HQ of harness racing in QLD, is very low in my opinion. The court battle will drag things out to a State Election and the LNP look set to win.

The LNP have pledged to return the three racing bodies to being independent. Something I agree with. And returning ownership of Albion Park to harness racing and greyhounds. I could see that the greyhounds may move to Logan. The council is very accomodating there.

So with the greyhounds gone, it would free up alot of space for playing fields. And a club has always been something that Kevin Seymour has been interested in pursuing. I can see the possibility of a joint venture of some description forming that would satisfy all parties. And Kevin Seymour has had prior involvement with at least the South Queensland Crushers in years past.

There website is http://www.brisbanebombers.com.au

Check out the promo video. It's not too bad. But they establish the setting as Lang Park and then procede to show footage of ANZ Stadium. :ugh:

Also Billy Moore is a tremendous ambassador, especially for a budding Queensland team. It would have wounded alot of Bears supporters to see him there.

DIEHARD
17-07-11, 05:47 AM
Here is a picture of the logo, if you havent seen it.

http://www.brisbanebombers.com.au/wallpaper/IPHONE1.png

DIEHARD
17-07-11, 05:51 AM
One of their first targets will likely be Titans fans based in Brisbane. We need to solidify our significant support in Brissie. Not only are the Bombers trying to get in, but so are the Western Corridor Bid Team.

Steelers
17-07-11, 07:35 PM
I think it is a terrible name. Not too impressed by the logo either. And the colours are a throwback to the Crushers. Why does this bid get 100 times more media attention than the other bids? A friend of mine who follows the NRL but not religiously was under the assumption that the Bombers had already gained entry into the NRL with the amount of coverage they have received in the past few months. I told him that they are only bidding for a spot, and he didn't even realise that Ipswich, Central Queensland, Central Coast or Wellington also have bids.

DIEHARD
17-07-11, 07:54 PM
Well most of their efforts seem to be about scoring cheap media wih not much substance. It's mainly been speculation. And there as been alot of calls that they will poach union players. One or two might be ok. But you'd want to bank on rugby league talent. Look at us. We did it well with Presto being our number 1 signing. That set the scene well.

Toads
17-07-11, 10:07 PM
Yup, read that article on the Bombers webpage. Where they're already trying to poach Quade Cooper and Sonny Bill Williams. But at this stage, I can't help but think that they're trying to talk it up. As they got a long way to go before they're in a position to get any player, from any code, to put pen to paper..

DIEHARD
17-07-11, 11:22 PM
Apparently they have a number of letters of intent by players to sign give. The fact that they'd be give. A NRL license. With the ARLC not up and running it is unlikely expansion will take place in 2013. And that will probably change these letters of intent.

These players need to come from somewhere... I wonder who they might be.

C-Whiz
18-07-11, 03:45 PM
LOL@ the name, and ROFLMAO @ the logo.

So, is Biggles the Captain? (pardon the pun). :doh:

In my best Biggles-ish, circa 1950's, English-toff voice-over; "Righto chappies, buckle up, it's going to be one heck of a fight to get us into that fangled NRL competition, but we didn't fly all this way to turn backs at the 11th hour, so chins up lads, and tally-ho, into the fray!"

DIEHARD
18-07-11, 10:33 PM
In my best Biggles-ish, circa 1950's, English-toff voice-over; "Righto chappies, buckle up, it's going to be one heck of a fight to get us into that fangled NRL competition, but we didn't fly all this way to turn backs at the 11th hour, so chins up lads, and tally-ho, into the fray!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Good one! I love it. Maybe we need to make some youtube parody videos if they get in.

DIEHARD
21-07-11, 08:57 AM
Broncos out but NRL bid team Brisbane Bombers keen to lure Karmichael Hunt back to NRL

THE Broncos say they have no plans to lure Karmichael Hunt home as prospective NRL rivals the Brisbane Bombers attempt to bring the AFL convert back to rugby league.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Brisbane NRL bid delegate Bill Rae has sounded out Hunt's management to gauge the possibility of him quitting the Suns to represent the Bombers should they win admission to the NRL in 2013.

But the Suns are prepared to up the ante, with football manager Marcus Ashcroft saying last night he wants Hunt to extend his tenure with the fledgling AFL club.

Hunt's $1 million a year Suns contract ends at the end of 2012 and he has impressed many AFL judges with the speed of his transition. But the prevailing sentiment in league circles is that he would eventually return to the sport that made him a household name.

The NRL's hopes of reclaiming Hunt are aided by the imminent broadcasting deal, which could see the game's marquee stars earn up to $1 million a season in 2013 under a salary cap tipped to rise to $7 million.

Hunt played 125 games for the Broncos, but a return to Red Hill now seems remote as the club invests in backline stars headlined by Josh Hoffman and Gerard Beale.

"K (Hunt) will always be a Bronco and he has many friends here. But the fact is, Karmichael Hunt coming back to rugby league in the short term is a completely unrealistic outcome," Broncos operations chief Andrew Gee said yesterday.

"Karmichael was a part of our club for a very long time and we know when he sets himself a challenge he will not stop until he has proven himself a success.

"Karmichael has chosen that path (AFL) now. How could any league club compete with the money he attracts there?

"Our club is in a very solid position and we have a great bunch of players on our roster that we plan to be the core of our group for the long term."

Rae confirmed last night he had spoken informally to Hunt's manager David Riolo about the former Queensland Origin custodian returning to rugby league.

The Central Coast bid team named Hunt in April as a priority signing.

"Karmichael is a league player at heart and it would be great to get him back to the game. It would be great for the Bombers and the NRL," Rae said.

"I've met with David Riolo, obviously we can't offer anything until if and when we get an NRL licence but he is aware of our thoughts.

"It would be great for Queensland rugby league to see him back in the game."

Riolo said: "In regards to the second Brisbane team, until they actually exist and have a licence to play in the NRL, it's hypothetical, it's not even a consideration.

"I know people want to know what K wants to do, but at the moment he has 18 months to run on his AFL contract and let's work through that."

Ashcroft said the Suns are rapt with Hunt and want him on board beyond next season.

"He's played 12 out of a possible 15 games, which is an extraordinary effort in his first year of AFL," he said.

"We hope that Karmichael has enjoyed his experience and the culture of our football club. Hopefully by the end of 2012 our club is pushing up the ladder and challenging for finals.

"We'd love to keep him here as long as we can. We think he has a real chance to make a name for himself in the AFL and we don't want to lose him."

http://www.couriermail.com.au

DIEHARD
21-07-11, 08:59 AM
If you want to impress DIEHARD you need to stop chasing after defectors and players from other codes.

You need to pursue salt of the Earth Rugby League players.

Hunt, steer clear. He isn't a rugby league player at heart. He is a mercenary. Sorry but it is true.

DIEHARD
21-07-11, 09:00 AM
Bombers clause for Shillington

CANBERRA prop David Shillington says he may still see out his career with the Raiders despite confirming he has a get-out clause in his contract to join the proposed Brisbane Bombers from 2014.

Raiders chief executive Don Furner said yesterday the club agreed to the clause because of the 29-year-old's age and status in the game. However, the contract dictates Shillington can only join a new Queensland team, not an existing club.

''He asked if he was to receive an offer would the club consider releasing him, but only to the new Queensland club,'' Furner said.

''It's something we allowed because Shillo is important to us … What [the players] look at is longevity. He might get offered a four-year deal by the new franchise when he's got one year to go with us, [and] that'd become the new England for him.''

The Brisbane Bombers launched its brand last week and are hopeful of being admitted into the NRL.

Canberra announced a fortnight ago they had agreed to terms with Shillington until the end of 2015.

The contract is yet to be signed, but Shillington's manager Andrew Purcell said he expected the deal would be made official next week.

It is understood the NRL has no plans for expansion until at least the 2014 season.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/

DIEHARD
25-08-11, 04:41 AM
Brisbane's second team upbeat despite poll

Brisbane Bombers expansion bid co-pilot Craig Davison says being ranked behind PNG in a rugby league magazine poll on expansion sides is hardly a hit for his consortium's chances.

Rugby League Week's 2011 "Fans' Poll" asked readers which teams should be included if the new NRL commission agrees to expand in 2013 or beyond.

Central Coast polled best with a decisive 46 per cent followed by Perth (23 per cent), Central Queensland (10 per cent) PNG (seven per cent), Brisbane Bombers (six per cent).

Wellington and Queensland western corridor each pulled four per cent of the vote.

"Like some other consortiums, we didn't go out and tell our million friends to vote on the poll," Davison told AAP.

"I was forwarded some e-mails from friends on the Central Queensland data base urging fans to vote on these things.

"We've got to worry about our business plan, and our business model and impress the people that matter most which are (NRL boss) David Gallop and (newly-appointed Commission chairman) John Grant.

"That (magazine) poll doesn't reflect where we feel we are positioned in the battle for expansion at all.

"It's a poll done by a good publication, which I read, but which can be orchestrated or manipulated by numbers.

"You have to respect the rugby league fans out there but you've also got to put into perspective that the rugby league fans voting in this instance are a minuscule percentage of the total fan base."

Davison said the only poll the Bombers wanted to win was the one when the Commission made its final decision on expansion.

"We're really excited about how things are shaping up," he said.

"We're just finishing off our bid documentation and it looks fantastic.

"We have to wait and see what criteria the NRL have got but we're really excited about putting our business plan in front of everybody once the Commission calls for tenders."

Despite the RLW Poll results, the general feeling is the Brisbane Bombers and Perth remain the favourites to be added to the competition either in 2013 or later.

http://www.nrl.com

DIEHARD
25-08-11, 04:43 AM
I wouldnt place too much stock in a dodgy poll, with a heavy Sydney readership. The Central Coast Bears have been running a sustained campaign to skew these results, going as far as instructing their supporters exactly what responses to input for each question.

Steelers
25-08-11, 05:28 PM
"We've got to worry about our business plan, and our business model and impress the people that matter most which are (NRL boss) David Gallop and (newly-appointed Commission chairman) John Grant.

Theit attitude stinks. Sure, spend all your time and efforts impressing the NRL, but don't be confused when noone turns up to your first game because the fans felt that you dodn't care about them.

Perth and CQ for 2014

DIEHARD
18-02-12, 02:35 PM
I really don't like those Broncos wannabies.

I was on their facebook and have been ever since they existed, promoting good convo and debate.

But in the last week they have seen fit to start beating up on the Western bid.

They have such an arrogant attitude.

Anyway so I posted "I fear you guys will be Broncos Mark 2. And people do find the community ownership model of Western appealing."

They DELETED IT! Instead of using it as an opportunity to give me peace of mind, they deleted it. Amatuers. You cant run from this type of criticism.

Then last night, I asked if they had been deleting posts and that post was in turn DELETED.

I have asked again.

Honestly Im the sort of RL support who you want to win over and I can offer up many useful pieces of advice. But burn me and..... we.....

GO WESTERN HORNETS!!!!

DIEHARD
24-04-12, 05:04 PM
TV figures back second Brisbane NRL team

Not having an NRL game in Brisbane every week is handing rivals AFL and Super Rugby a free kick, according to the Brisbane Bombers expansion consortium.

Brisbane Broncos fans had just one home game at Suncorp Stadium in the first month of the premiership and will only be able to watch their team at home twice in seven weeks between rounds nine and 15.

"It will be easier to see an AFL game or a Super 15 (Rugby) match at times throughout the year than it will be to see Brisbane's No.1 code," said Bombers consortium chairman Craig Davison.

The Bombers are one of several consortiums bidding for an NRL expansion licence if the new ARL Commission gives the green light to more teams.

"It's a no-brainer. You have to have a rugby league game on in Brisbane every weekend."

Davison said the big television audience tuning in to watch the Broncos play every Friday night was irresistible proof Brisbane rugby league followers wanted more.

The ARL Commission is currently locked in negotiations with host broadcasters Channel Nine and other interested parties for a new 10-year TV rights deal tipped to bring a one billion dollar revenue windfall to the game.

Channel Nine and Fox Sports are both known to like the idea of a game being played in Brisbane every weekend to cash in on rugby league's enormous popularity in Queensland.

As it stands, Sydney rugby league fans get more than 100 NRL games a season, while Brisbane fans get just 12 live home games to attend, the same as Townsville, Melbourne and Canberra.

Another Brisbane team would also go some way towards breaking the Broncos' Friday night monopoly which rival clubs believe gives them an unfair advantage with seven days between games.

"Sydney have 108 games and Brisbane have 12. Fans need more games and we need another side in Brisbane," Davison told AAP.

"This is not about the Bombers, this is about the need for another team because quite simply, 12 games in a city whose population is heading towards three million by 2030 is not enough."

Davison said he'd received an expansion update from ARL Commission chief executive David Gallop a few weeks ago.

"Right now we're in a holding pattern," he said.

"We've got our financial model done, our bid documentation virtually complete based on any other criteria coming through from the Commission.

"We're sitting here waiting.

"If we're asked to submit for a new team the Bombers are ready for take off."

Source: http://www.nrl.com

DIEHARD
04-10-12, 04:46 PM
Brisbane Bombers go racing for NRL start

The circling Brisbane Bombers have upped the ante in their battle to win an NRL licence after revealing plans on Thursday to build a state of the art training facility at Doomben Racecourse.

The Bombers, who could be ready to take off as early as 2015 if the newly cashed-up Australian Rugby League Commission approves expansion, have signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Brisbane Racing Club to have their home base included as part of a massive development application before the Brisbane City Council.

The complex would house the club's football department and an up-to-the-minute training facility featuring an altitude chamber to speed up players' injury recovery.

The Bombers released details of a partnership deal with the BRC on the same day ARC Commissioner John Grant was quoted as saying expansion would not happen within the next five years.

The Bombers and seven other franchises bidding to be the 17th team invited to play in the NRL have been in a holding pattern since the Commission landed a record billion dollar TV rights deal in August.

However they are hoping for some positive news when the Commission reveals its strategic plan for the game's future - expected before the end of the year.

BRC chief executive Stephen Ferguson said a lot of hard work had gone into developing a vision for the racecourse as a world class racing and mixed-use urban precinct.

"We would welcome the Brisbane Bombers to Doomben Parklands to help us create a great facility for sport and recreation," said Ferguson, who has impressed as a progressive administrator.

Bid boss Craig Davison said a partnership with the BRC would create an outcome that would be highly beneficial to the Brisbane Bombers and the local community.

"Doomben Parklands will provide us with an opportunity to use existing infrastructure and space that would make our transition into the NRL streamlined and at the same time affordable," said Davidson on Thursday.

Commissioner Grant told the Queensland Times this week that there had been very little work done on expansion.

"It is a strategic consideration for the game and one that will be considered as part of the commission's strategic planning process," he said.

"We've talked about the fact that plan will be released later in the year and that remains the case."

A decision on expansion will come down to whether host broadcasters Channel Nine believe they can increase revenue and boost ratings.

The Bombers remain very confident they can achieve both by playing out of Suncorp Stadium providing Nine with a game in Brisbane every weekend which they believe will boost both the the network's income and ratings.

http://www.nrl.com/brisbane-bombers-go-racing-for-nrl-start/tabid/10874/newsid/70179/default.aspx

DIEHARD
04-10-12, 04:55 PM
Shame to not see them based at my ancestral home of Albion Park. But Doomben Racecourse is an ideal location and still in the neighbourhood. And should be great facilities.

Still we need expansion and they need a better name than Bombers!

DIEHARD
02-06-13, 09:13 AM
Bombers claiming WE (Titans) have the western corridor locked down. That's news to me. Bombers are such white ants to the Western bid.

DIEHARD
25-11-13, 05:34 PM
I just cant get my head around their elblem. A bomber. A war machine of mass destruction in the 2nd World War which killed hundreds of thousands perhaps millions. Most civilians.

It fills me with dread.