PDA

View Full Version : NRL: Fitzgibbon named Roosters skipper

DeeGan
22-12-05, 09:24 PM
NRL: Fitzgibbon named Roosters skipper

I have not got a story though I have just heard Craig Fitzgibbon is the new Roosters captain for 2007. The only real choice Ricky had IMO despite the credentials of some other high profile Rooster stars.

DeeGan

DIEHARD
22-12-05, 10:19 PM
The only real choice Ricky had IMO despite the credentials of some other high profile Rooster stars.

Absolutely. I don't think many people will be surprised.

Steelers
22-12-05, 10:24 PM
I have not got a story though I have just heard Craig Fitzgibbon is the new Roosters captain for 2007.

2007 or 2006?

DIEHARD
22-12-05, 10:26 PM
2007 or 2006?

I'm sure he meant 2006, DeeGan just has 2007 on the brain. :laugh:

Moejoe
22-12-05, 10:28 PM
DeeGan just has 2007 on the brain. :laugh:

LOL Dont we all. I think even the chinese should come on board and name 2007 the year of the Titan

DeeGan
22-12-05, 10:34 PM
I'm sure he meant 2006, DeeGan just has 2007 on the brain. :laugh:

Thank you + playing poker at the time ;)

DeeGan

Super Cronk
23-12-05, 08:52 AM
Also Ashlee harrison was given vice captain.

Good choice to put fitzy as captain...not surprised as he is a work horse and a great club man.

Titanium_BD1103
23-12-05, 10:04 AM
Ok for all of you.. here is the article.. from foxsports.com.au

Lead role for Fitzgibbon
By Ray Chesterton
December 23, 2005

CRAIG Fitzgibbon got a new role and a new job yesterday as the Roosters continued their build-up to a 2006 season they hope will re-inflate their premiership hopes.

Veteran Fitzgibbon was made captain and moved from second-row to prop as the Roosters restructured their attack.

Roosters coach Ricky Stuart also named new import from Souths, Ashley Harrison, as team vice-captain to cover the leadership if Fitzgibbon is rested during a game.

"I've been here for seven years and I've been lucky enough to play under the tutelage of Brad Fittler and others," Fitzgibbon said.

"There are a lot of potential leaders in this club.

"To be named captain of a club that has also had leaders like Arthur Beetson is an honour."

Fitzgibbon said switching from second-row to prop suited him and the team's plans for next season.

"I'll just be playing more in the middle of the ruck," he said.

"It gives us more versatility."

It also gives the Roosters back-row more mobility and strength. With the pack altered and Braith Anasta signed as the new five-eighth, Stuart looks to have solved the problems that anchored his side's attacking skills last season.

Although one of the obvious favourites, Fitzgibbon said he had no prior knowledge of his appointment until Stuart announced it at a team lunch to mark the end of training for 2005.

"He's respected by his peers and lives and breathes football," Stuart said. "I told him two years ago he had leadership qualities and that he had to keep refining them."

With so many younger players in the squad Stuart said it was important to have a captain they could relate to and follow.

"They're looking for leadership and direction," he said.

"They will get it from Fitzy and Ashley."

Harrison was a leader at Souths last season and led the side in the final few rounds, impressing with his maturity.

"It was unexpected to be named vice-captain but it's still a great honour," he said.

The Daily Telegraph

I reckon this is great news for the Roosters.. and I wish them all the best, well as much as I can being a Bulldogs supporter for 2006... which means I want them to just miss the finals again... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I can't understand why people wanted Anasta as Vice Captain.. I would have gone for Harrison any day.. he is an excaptain.. and has a lot of experience to give.. Anasta's time will come in the future.. ;)

SOLIOLA
24-12-05, 04:59 PM
Fitzy as captain was great but i was really expecting Harrison or Flannery to be given the captaincy, Flannery is a great loyal member to the club and is with us for the next 3 years and i thought he was a real good chance at getting it. Harrison was my choice of favourite led souths from the front when he took over captaincy from Bryan Fletcher in 2005 and was unstoppable good to see he has a reputation in the club and will or could be one of our future captains.