PDA

View Full Version : Australian Baseball League

DIEHARD
10-01-11, 07:28 PM
Brisbane Bandits clinch series in Canberra, keep alive Australian Baseball League playoff hopes

BRISBANE'S slim Australian Baseball League playoffs hopes are still alive following a 3-1 series win away to the Canberra Cavalry.

After splitting five and losing two series in their first seven weeks, the Bandits finally broke through for their first road win after grinding out an 8-4 extra innings victory in Game 4 against Canberra.

Brisbane now hosts the Cavalry in a four-game series from Wednesday.

Bandits general manager Paul Gonzalez said the team was looking forward to maintaining their momentum in the next series.

"We are now at the business end of the season and the boys have shown us true Queensland heart," he said.

ABL Standings at the end of Round 8 (win and losses in brackets):1st - Adelaide Bite (18-12), 2nd - Perth Heat (18-14), 3rd - Sydney Blue Sox (17-14), 4th - Melbourne Aces (16-15), 5th - Brisbane Bandits (13-17), 6th - Canberra Cavalry (11-21).

http://www.couriermail.com.au

DIEHARD
10-01-11, 07:29 PM
I'm definitely a Bandits fan after attending their games as a kid.

I've been to a few games at the Ekka and I'll definitely back back for this series.

DIEHARD
26-01-11, 04:46 PM
ABL AND DELTA AIR LINES TO PARTNER IN POSTSEASON

http://web.theabl.com.au/images/2011/01/25/B8slynqa.jpg

With the top-four teams finalising their preparations for Game 1 of the playoffs on Thursday, the Australian Baseball League has proudly announced that international carrier Delta Air Lines will be the Naming Rights sponsor of the inaugural ABL postseason.

The Delta Air Lines ABL Postseason commences with 1st vs. 2nd and 3rd vs. 4th matchups in the Round 1 Playoff Series this weekend between 27-29 January, and the second round Playoff series that involves the loser of the 1st vs. 2nd series and the winner of the 3rd vs. 4th series between 4-6 February.

The Postseason will culminate with the Delta Air Lines ABL Championship Series between 11-13 February 2011 that will decide the competition's inaugural title holder.

The Delta Air Lines ABL Championship Series will be shown live on Fox Sports.

Servicing over 160 Million passengers each year with an industry leading global network, Delta Air Lines flies daily from Sydney to the USA with key destinations including Los Angeles, Atlanta and New York.

ABL Chief Executive Officer Peter Wermuth said the League was delighted to be partnering with an airline that shares so many similarities.

"The ABL has strong links to the USA as we give our young Aussie players the opportunity to compete in a world class competition that provides a pathway to get seen and scouted by Major League Baseball clubs," Wermuth said.

"We have had a number of players signed my MLB clubs, and organisations around the world, this season based on their performances in the ABL. Both the ABL and Delta Air Lines link Australians to the USA and we are delighted to be partnering with an organisation that shares those goals."

This story was not subject to the approval of the Australian Baseball League or its clubs

Blazertaser
27-03-11, 11:40 PM
I honestly did not know Australia even had a baseball league going....? This thread may be old but seriously, i have never seen any advertising/mechandise or absolutely anything for the matter of fact....

DIEHARD
28-03-11, 12:24 AM
I honestly did not know Australia even had a baseball league going....? This thread may be old but seriously, i have never seen any advertising/mechandise or absolutely anything for the matter of fact....

Only been back for one season, 10/11.

75% funded by MBL.

They telecast the Finals on Fox Sports but no major TV deal yet.

I went to a few Bandits games at the RNA. Very pleased to see them return.