PDA

View Full Version : Trial Match: Brisbane Broncos vs Gold Coast Titans in Wynnum

DIEHARD
07-01-11, 03:32 PM
Broncos v Titans
February 12 2011 - Kougari Oval, Wynnum

Mushi
07-01-11, 09:09 PM
Day before allstars - will def be a "trial" match he he.

DIEHARD
07-01-11, 10:45 PM

It will be a fantastic weekend for Rugby League.

teke
08-01-11, 12:05 AM
I will def be going to this match.

Mushi
08-01-11, 01:25 PM
Gives our young guys a chance to shine before the official season starts!!!! Won't be making this one but hopefully going to head to the souths vs titans at coffs one!

Beachbub23
01-02-11, 10:59 AM

Im pretty sure the allstars match is the 12th of Feb??

How is that gonna work since a good number of the Titans boys are playing in the allstars match?

Mushi
01-02-11, 09:27 PM

Yeah sorry I thought the trial match was the fri night before for some reason. It seems it is the same day as the all stars.

shamus
02-02-11, 08:46 AM

How is that gonna work since a good number of the Titans boys are playing in the allstars match?

It will be mainly the 20's playing. I think they did the same last year

TITAN PETE
02-02-11, 09:24 AM
It will be mainly the 20's playing. I think they did the same last year

Only a couple of 20's players but nice to see Esi back on the park..

Titans team: Shannon Walker, Dominique Peyroux, Esi Tonga, Joseph Tomane, Joe Vickery, Jordan Rankin, Luke Capewell, Brenton Lawrence, Matt Srama, Luke Pag, Sam Tagaetese, Ben Ridge, Luke O'Dwyer. Interchange: Will Matthews, Kayne Lawton, Tom Merritt, Jacob Ling

DIEHARD
03-02-11, 10:54 PM
Carlaw's ready to start from scratch

HE may be poised to enter an elite club at the Broncos but prodigal son Dane Carlaw says he must prove himself again.

The 30-year-old played 183 first-grade games for Brisbane between 1999 and 2007 before heading to the Catalans Dragons for three seasons in the British Super League.

Back at the Broncos on a one-year deal, by season's end he could be sitting alongside the likes of Darren Lockyer, Allan Langer, Shane Webcke, Petero Civoniceva, Steve Renouf, Wendell Sailor, Kevin Walters, Andrew Gee and Michael Han**** in Brisbane's 200-game club. But the veteran of 13 State of Origin matches, six Tests and two NRL grand final wins knows he is guaranteed nothing in his return to Red Hill, nor a place in the squad for the round 1 clash with North Queensland on March 11.

The eyes of the rugby league community will be on Skilled Park on February 12 for the All Stars match but Carlaw will be happily plying his trade in the second row when the Broncos take on the Gold Coast Titans in a pre-season trial at Kougari Oval at the same time.

"I've been away for three years and a lot has changed," Carlaw said. "The culture is still the same but there are new faces on the coaching staff who I've only just met and there are a lot of young blokes vying for a spot as there always is around here.

"It's a challenge but it's also exciting and refreshing. I'm enjoying it to be honest. It's great to be back and be around the club again.

"I know I still have to trial well if I want a place in the 17 on that first Friday night of the season. I feel like I'm training well but I'll need to do my best in the trials and see what happens.

"It would be awesome to get to 200. It would be something that I'd be very proud of when you look at who else has done it.

"But I have a long way to go to get there. I have to get into the first-grade squad first. I started pre-season about four weeks after everybody else so I have ground to make up."

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au

DIEHARD
04-02-11, 07:24 PM
Jetstar Titans Pre-Season Trial Match 1 v Brisbane Broncos
Saturday, February 12
BMD Kougari Oval, Wynnum

Gold Coast Titans

1 Shannon Walker
2 Dominique Peyroux
3 Esi Tonga
4 Joseph Tomane
5 Joe Vickery
6 Jordan Rankin
7 Luke Capewell
8 Brenton Lawrence
9 Matt Srama
10 Luke Page
11 Sam Tagaetese
12 Ben Ridge
13 Luke O'Dwyer
14 Will Matthews
15 Kayne Lawton
16 Tom Merritt
17 Jacob Ling

Brisbane Broncos

1. Dane Gagai
2. Denan Kemp
3. Jack Reed
4. Dale Copley
5. Aaron Whitchurch
6. Corey Norman
7. Ben Hunt
8. Mitchell Dodds
9. John Te Reo
10. Josh McGuire
11. Dane Carlaw
12. Dunamis Lui
13. Mitchell Frei

14. Jordan Kahu
15. Justin Hunt
16. Gerard Beale
17. Daniel Ogden
18. Dave Hala
19. Kurt Baptiste
20. Matt Britt
21. Kurtis Lingwoodock

Game Details
12.00pm - Gates Open
1.00pm - U20's Wynnum Manly Seagulls v Norths Devils
2.30pm - A Grade Wynnum Manly Seagulls v Norths Devils
4.00pm - Q Cup Wynnum Manly Seagulls v Norths Devils
5.30pm - NYC U20's Gold Coast Titans v Brisbane Broncos
7.00pm - MAIN GAME - Jetstar Gold Coast Titans v Brisbane Broncos

teke
06-02-11, 10:54 PM
Shannon is in doubt for this match

DIEHARD
09-02-11, 12:58 AM
Tickets:
Adults - $20
Concession - $15
Children Under 10yrs - FREE
Family (2ads + 2ch) - $50
Purchase tickets from:
Wynnum Manly Leagues Club
92 Wondall Road
Manly West QLD 4179
Ph: 07 3906 7800

DIEHARD
09-02-11, 01:08 AM
Brisbane Broncos

1. Dane Gagai
2. Denan Kemp
3. Jack Reed
4. Dale Copley
5. Aaron Whitchurch
6. Corey Norman
7. Ben Hunt
8. Mitchell Dodds
9. John Te Reo
10. Josh McGuire
11. Dane Carlaw
12. Dunamis Lui
13. Mitchell Frei

14. Jordan Kahu
15. Justin Hunt
16. Gerard Beale
17. Daniel Ogden
18. Dave Hala
19. Kurt Baptiste
20. Matt Britt
21. Kurtis Lingwoodock

DIEHARD
09-02-11, 11:35 PM
Broncos v Titans - BMD Kourgari Oval - Saturday 7pm

MITCHELL ``Hitman?? Dodds makes a hero?s return to BMD Kougari Oval at Wynnum Manly on Saturday night after a bone-crushing first year with the Brisbane Broncos.

At just 21, the Iona College old boy and Capalaba Warriors junior takes on the role of enforcer when the Broncos meet the Gold Coast Titans in a pre-season kick-off crucial for both teams.

Dodds was rushed into the Broncos last year as coach Ivan Henjak watched the club implode with injuries.

A former Iona College First VX centre, Dodds joined the ``Baby Broncos?? as an impact player a 100kg-plus prop running big hit-ups and stopping some of the most dangerous ball carriers in rugby league.

``I guess everyone is out to get you,?? he said with a laugh after training at Broncos headquarters in Red Hill last week. ``I just try and get them first.??
And get them he did, stopping Parramatta?s Tongan wrecking ball Fuifui Moimoi and prop Nathan Cayless in his first couple of outings.

``He got them a couple of beauties and they?re New Zealand internationals,?? Broncos skipper Darren Lockyer said at the time.

To prove it was no fluke, Dodds pole-axed menacing NSW prop Justin Poore with front-on defence that left the Blues prop sickened.

``We have a lot of young blokes in the team,?? Dodds said. ``We are feeling a lot tighter as a unit this year.

``And I?m feeling stronger and more confident and I?ve put on a few kilos, so I hope to do more damage.??

Iona coach Keith Harron said Dodds? success had sprung from hard work.
``He didn?t make any Queensland sides, he didn?t have the skills of some of the other boys, but he worked really hard and he?s just so tough,?? Harron said.

``He?s the sort of kid you couldn?t help liking and we?re all so proud of him.??
Coach Ivan Henjak and his Titans counterpart John Cartwright will be at Wynnum on Saturday night, missing the high-profile Indigenous All-Stars match on the Gold Coast.

``Every game is important to us,?? said Henjak, whose Broncos missed the finals last year for the first time in 18 seasons. ``We still have a few positions that may be up for grabs and big performances in the pre-season will have an impact on how the final side is picked.??

http://wynnum-herald.whereilive.com.au

DIEHARD
12-02-11, 01:50 PM
Rankin given another chance to impress

Brisbane Broncos vs Gold Coast Titans, Kougari Oval, Wynnum, 8.30pm

JORDAN RANKIN, who made his first-grade debut for Gold Coast as a 16-year-old in 2008 but still only has the one top grade appearance to his name, will form a halves pairing with ex-South Sydney Rabbitohs utility Luke Capewell in tonight's trial game against Brisbane.

Titans coach John Cartwright said he expected Rankin, now 19, to challenge for a first-grade spot this year. Rankin was 16 years and 238 days old when he played against Newcastle at a time when the Titans had a lot of players out injured. He has since been continuing his development in the club's Toyota Cup team, for which he is still eligible this season.

''We thought back then that Jordan was a potential regular first-grader, and we still think it,'' Cartwright said. ''But he was only young and needed time, and he's been grinding away in the under 20s and working on his game. He's got the ability, he just needs to toughen up physically and mentally, and he knows that. I don't put any limitations on players, and I expect him to push for first grade this season.''

Both the Titans and Broncos will field sides mainly made up of semi-regular first-graders, promising younger players and new signings.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/

DIEHARD
12-02-11, 01:53 PM
Walker, Mathews set for trial

FORMER Kyogle rugby league player Shannon Walker will start at fullback tonight in the Gold Coast Titans? first National Rugby League trial game of the season.

Walker will be joined by fellow former Turkey Will Mathews, who takes his spot on the bench as a youthful Titans team lines up against the Brisbane Broncos at Kougari Oval, Wynnum, in the eastern suburbs.

For the 22-year-old Walker, it?s a chance to stake his claim at the recently vacated fullback position left by pint-sized dynamo Preston Campbell.

Campbell will become a utility bench player this season.

A strong performance tonight would put pressure on flyer William Zillman, who is the front-runner to get first crackat fullback.

Walker made just the one appearance in the NRL in 2010, coming off the bench in the Titans? 11-10 victory over the St George Illawarra Dragons in Round 20.

He has since bulked up in the off-season and will be aiming for more consistency at the back tonight.

Mathews will be looking to make a big impact off the bench at prop.

He will be hoping to replicate the strong form that saw him debut for the Titans as a 20-year-old back in 2008.

http://www.northernstar.com.au/story/

patskE
13-02-11, 12:48 PM
how did tonga go?
i heard he scored 2 try's?

Boofhead
13-02-11, 01:37 PM
how did tonga go?
i heard he scored 2 try's?

He copped a badly broken nose apparently before going off, got to like the sound of the two tries he put on though.

qld power
13-02-11, 05:34 PM
thught there be pics up of the game by now

DIEHARD
13-02-11, 05:58 PM
thught there be pics up of the game by now

Here you go mate. Pictures of the Broncos v Titans trial.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW PHOTO GALLERY ON GOLDCOAST.COM.AU (http://tools.goldcoast.com.au/photo-gallery/photo_gallery_popup_preview.php?category_id=23871&offset=0)

DIEHARD
13-02-11, 05:59 PM
Titans well beaten in Broncos trial

YOUNG Bronco Ben Hunt starred as Brisbane smashed the Gold Coast Titans 42-18 in a pre-season trial at Kougari Oval tonight.

The Titans opened the scoring in the first two minutes through centre Esi Tonga who finished the game with a badly busted nose but the Broncos slipped straight into top gear, posting five tries in a 15-minute blitz.

Jack Reed enhanced his outside claims of a starting spot against the Cowboys in round one next month when he showed good instincts to pick up a grubber and score.

Hunt and Corey Norman showed they were on target for a good season with strong performances combining for Brisbane's first try off a clever Hunt banana kick.

The Titans got back 24-14 with a Tonga try before Brisbane ran away with the game in front of an enthusiastic crowd of over 3000 fans.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
13-02-11, 06:01 PM
TITANS TOPPLED IN FIRST TRIAL

A young and inexperienced Jetstar Gold Coast Titans succumbed to a disappointing loss in their first trial match of the season, going down to the Brisbane Broncos 42-18 in front of a crowd of 3,500 at Kougari Oval Wynnam.

The Titans looked the better of the two sides in the early exchanges with Esi Tonga scoring two tries before the leaving the field with a broken nose and concussion.

Some impressive play through half back Luke Capewell and hooker Matt Srama helped narrow the margin throughout the game but it wasn’t enough with the Broncos laying on five unanswered tries as a shell-shocked Titans side attempted to recover.

Titans coach John Cartwright said tonight was an important hit- out for the youthful side.

“On the whole I think everyone did pretty well,” Cartwright said.

“We played well in patches, it’s just a shame the score line blew out a bit in the end.”

“There were some injuries out there too, so everyone got plenty of game time which was good.

“We defended pretty well there in the second half, but there were too many periods in the game where we dropped off.”

The second half began with the Titans losing Tonga with what looked like a badly broken nose.

Two quick tries put the Broncos back in firm control with the elusive Alex Glenn and speedster Jack Reed going over for tries.

Hunt added the extras to give the Broncos a commanding 36-14 lead, with 20 minutes of play remaining.

The Titans showed plenty of heart, never giving in with a determined effort from Srama putting lock Luke O’Dwyer over for a try in the dying minutes of the match.

The Broncos hit back with centre Dale Copley crossing for his second try of the night right on the stroke of full-time.

Earlier the Titans came out of the sheds firing forcing a Broncos goal line drop out from the kick that resulted in a try to Tonga in the corner

Rankin failed to convert as the Titans took an early 4-0 lead, three minutes in.

The Broncos responded when a mistimed Ben Hunt kick went straight into the arms of Norman who went in close to the sticks.

He failed to convert his own try leaving the score deadlocked at 4-all, in the 11th minute.

The Titans struggled to recover with a beautiful pass from Hunt leading to Copley scoring out wide, edging ahead 8-4.

The Titans were under all sorts of pressure as a massive bomb by Hunt was too much for the Titans back three to take, with a flying monster in Broncos second rower Dunamis Lui snatching the ball for a try.

Norman failed to convert as the Broncos took a 12-4 lead, 18 minutes in.

The Titans couldn’t get any possession that led to the Broncos putting them under all sorts of pressure on the try line.

The flimsy defence ended up with a simple draw and pass putting prop Josh McGuire in next to the posts.

Hunt stepped in to take the conversions and was successful booting the Broncos ahead to an 18-4

The Titans looked out on their feet and the lack of spark in the attack was exposed when a loose ball ended up in the hands of Broncos lock Mitchell Frei who raced away to score under the posts.

Norman resumed the kicking duties to give the Broncos a healthy 24-4 lead, 24 minutes in.

The Titans dug deep and some of the bigger names led the way with big Sam Tagataese barging his way over out wide.

Joe Vickery nailed the conversion narrowing the margin to 24-10.

The Titans injury woes continued when big Brenton Lawrence took a heavy hit and was assisted from the field with what looked to be a hand injury just before half-time.

The Titans responded with some slick hands from Rankin setting up Tonga for his second try of the night. Vickery failed to convert as the Titans trailed 24-14 at the break.

Brisbane Broncos 42 (C Norman, D Copley 2, D Lui, J McGuire, M Frei, A Glenn, J Reed tries; B Hunt 4 goal, Norman Goal) defeated Jetstar Gold Coast Titans 18 (E Tonga 2, S Tagataese, L O’Dwyer tries; Vickery goal.)

Source: http://www.titans.com.au