15. Mose Masoe
16. Jake Friend
17. Daniel Conn
18. Tinirau Arona
19. Phil Graham

DIEHARD
18-04-11, 06:18 PM
Campbell to return for Roosters clash

THE Gold Coast Titans are set to be given a significant boost with Preston Campbell today confirming he expects to be back for their next Skilled Park outing against the Sydney Roosters next weekend.

Hopeful of being on the plane for this weekend's trek to Parramatta, Campbell has ruled out the prospect of an early return from a medial ligament strain, with his focus instead centred on being right to take on last year's grand finalists the Roosters.

The 2001 Dally M Medal winner has missed the Titans' past two matches after injuring his knee mid-way through the second half in their golden-point defeat of the Raiders in Round 4.

''I was hoping to be back this week,'' Indigenous All Star Campbell said today, flanked by teammates at a promotional poster photo shoot highlighting the club's cultural diversity at the Centre of Excellence.

''I'll think I'll leave it an extra week just to be sure and hopefully I'll be back against the Roosters.''

A favourite among fans, Campbell joined 13 of the Titans' top squad as they swapped the Gold Coast colours for those of their a special photo shoot to highlight the club's many cultures.

The special promotional poster will feature Scott Prince (Titans), Greg Bird (Australia), Bodene Thompson (NZ Maori), Clinton Toopi (NZ), Sam Tagataese (Samoa), Esi Tonga (Tonga), David Mead (PNG), Ashley Harrison (Queensland), Luke Bailey (NSW), Mark Minichiello (NSW City), Anthony Laffranchi (NSW Country) and Dom Peyroux (Cook Islands).

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
18-04-11, 06:19 PM
It’s time for the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans to take their revenge!

In the 2010 Finals Series the Sydney Roosters took the Jetstar Titans’ chance to appear in their first ever Grand Final, but now it’s time for the Titans to settle the score. Captain Scott Prince and the rest of the Jetstar Titans team are ready for this one and can’t wait to get in there and rustle the Roosters feathers!

Invite your key clients and staff or just treat yourself to enjoy this blockbuster match in style from the best seats in the house. The Jetstar Titans have a range of casual corporate hospitality options including open air boxes and the Chairman’s Club from just $135 per person. Visit Corporate Hospitality Options (http://www.titans.com.au/default.aspx?s=corporate-hospitality-options) today for more information.

Get fired up to see the Titans roast the Roosters! Buy your tickets now to avoid disappointment.

Love your league? Live the Titans!

http://www.titans.com.au

Chaos
18-04-11, 06:25 PM
If Campbell plays 5/8 for Titans and Carney out for Roosters...that would be a massive tilt into our favour.

teke
19-04-11, 01:51 AM
Carney may not even be a Rooster by match time :laugh:

karnage
19-04-11, 09:06 AM
Likely to be given an 'indefinite suspension' that is expected to include all of season 2011.

Boofhead
19-04-11, 10:18 AM
Where do we play Campbell when he comes back?

Not many options, maybe bulk him up and put him in the prop rotation?

Tamwelg
19-04-11, 10:47 AM

Not many options, maybe bulk him up and put him in the prop rotation?

I've been thinking the same thing myself. hard to leave him out, but also hard to fit him in.

Rage
19-04-11, 03:41 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Carty went and moved Zilly back to fullback and dropped Capewell...

Titan_Blue
19-04-11, 06:52 PM
I would love to see:

1. Zilly
2. Michaels
3. Tonga
4. Tomane
5. Mead
6. Bird
7. Prince
8. White
9. Friend
10. Bailey
11. Mini
12. Laffranchi
13. Harro

14. James
15. Henderson
16. Thompson
17. Presto

With Presto coming on at 5/8 during the game, and Bird shifting into the backrow meaning Mini gets a break, or Laffranchi can push up to the front-row. having Laffranchi covering front-row as well means James could be used in short bursts, where he is most effective.

Rage
19-04-11, 07:14 PM
NRL chief executive David Gallop claims Todd Carney's blatant flouting of promises to get his life back on the straight and narrow proved just how troubled the wayward star's life had become.

The Roosters on Tuesday imposed an indefinite ban on Carney and hooker Anthony Watts, the latter set to face the Roosters board to explain why his contract shouldn't be torn up.

Carney was spared such extreme measures after his late night drinking session with Watts over the weekend. The pair went back on their word to abstain from alcohol as they visited several notorious nightspots until 4am on Sunday.

The night out ended with Watts being charged with assaulting his ex-girlfriend, while Carney was left fighting to save a career which seemed to be blossoming with last year's Dally M winning season.

But the 24-year old has gone off the rails since, with the Roosters giving no timeframe as to his NRL return as they step up medical support for his alcohol-related issues.

Gallop warned Carney after his last indiscretion - when he had avoided a jail term earlier this month in relation to a low-range drink-driving charge - that he was on his last chance, but the NRL boss said now was not the time for the game to abandon him.

"If he'd engaged in anti-social behaviour, if he'd brought himself to the attention of the people that are running these establishments for behaving poorly, then he'd have a target on his back that we wouldn't miss," Gallop said.

"Our own investigations indicate he didn't behave badly in those establishments, but there's a big question mark over what he was doing there, and what his mental state was to find himself there in such a public place.

"This is a guy with a history, a guy who gave some pretty big undertakings to the world a couple of weeks ago and I think it's his reckless disregard for those undertakings that's perhaps the most alarming aspect of where he's at.

"... to go to (Kings) Cross, where he was bound to be seen, to me shows that he is very much a troubled person at the moment, and that makes me sad for him."

Gallop said the NRL and the Roosters would be guided by the advice of medical experts.

Roosters chief executive Steve Noyce was explicit in his explanation that the cases involving Carney and Watts had been treated as separate issues, with Watts due in court on Thursday.

Roosters coach Brian Smith applauded the club's decision to stand by Carney, admitting it had been obvious to all at the club that something was amiss with the wonderfully talented playmaker, who battled injury and poor form over the opening month of the season.

"We've all known that there have been issues for him and he's not been quite the same guy with us this year as what he was when he was at his best during the course of last year," Smith told AAP.

"We've all tried to work with him and understand him but we've reached the point where even Todd realises he needs expert help - he doesn't need a footy coach, he doesn't need a CEO ... he needs professional assistance."

Asked about Carney's current state of mind, Smith said:

"I think he's in a good place - the thing with the type of assistance that Todd needs is that you've got to want it, and he's ready for it."

Watts will now front the Roosters board to answer a breach notice, with Noyce claiming:

"There are five options available to the board from fines, suspension and clearly termination of contract."

Smith admitted Watt's chances of saving his Roosters career appeared slim.

"It just didn't work out with us with Anthony - we couldn't supply him with whatever he needed," Smith said.

"At this point in time I think he's got to show cause and I guess that will be a difficult thing for him to do."

DIEHARD
20-04-11, 03:10 AM
You beauty. The seas are parting! Let's hope the Titans can bring home the points!

C-Whiz
22-04-11, 05:20 PM

Not many options, maybe bulk him up and put him in the prop rotation?:D

I'm a lot happier about this game now that the Roosters have more dramas than us. :laugh:

Titanic
22-04-11, 10:00 PM
Play him at 9 and sign him for 10 more years.

Supergoose
24-04-11, 10:14 PM
Okay, so it's time to look ahead to the Roosters. If we give them as much ball in good field position as we gave the Eels we'll get hammered. If Presto is back I say we start Mead at fullback, Thompson in the centres with Tomane on the wing and Campbell coming off the bench and Zillman at 5/8. After 30 mins or early in the 2nd half bring Campbell on at fullback, shifting Mead to the centres and Thompson to the pack. We also need Carty to drag blokes for I'll-discipline. Bird should've been dragged today and so should've Mini.

teke
24-04-11, 10:36 PM
Roosters are scum

Rage
24-04-11, 10:53 PM
Is the decision for Presto to play off the bench his decision or Carty's decision? I'm not too sure this 'super-sub' thing is working out, might be more beneficial to just have Presto play the full 80 minutes

Supergoose
24-04-11, 11:13 PM
I'm fairly sure Presto is worried about his body lasting the season if he plays 80 min every match.

The inclusion of Shannon Walker is one that could prove interesting. I'm starting to think Carty just needs to bite the bullet and throw Tomane and Walker in. With this in mind let's try this line-up.

Walker
Tomane
Mead
Tonga
Michaels
Zillman
Prince
Bailey
Friend
Henderson
Thompson
Bird
Harrison

White
James
Minichiello
Campbell/O'Dwyer/Tagataese.

titansrawesome
24-04-11, 11:18 PM
I'm fairly sure Presto is worried about his body lasting the season if he plays 80 min every match.

The inclusion of Shannon Walker is one that could prove interesting. I'm starting to think Carty just needs to bite the bullet and throw Tomane and Walker in. With this in mind let's try this line-up.

Walker
Tomane
Mead
Tonga
Michaels
Zillman
Prince
Bailey
Friend
Henderson
Thompson
Bird
Harrison

White
James
Minichiello
Campbell/O'Dwyer/Tagataese.

i like that side but maybe taga in for mini while keeping preston

patskE
25-04-11, 01:25 AM
i love that side
i love thompson but i think he was more impressive as a 2nd rower n getting a break. love to see tomane and walker get given a go.

teke
25-04-11, 01:35 AM
Tomane would come into the centre if he comes in.

Im keen as mustard for Shannon to be given a go.

Dont blink...whoop there he goes :wave:

DIEHARD
25-04-11, 06:39 AM
I'd like to see Preston back in the run on squad. Keep Zillman at 5/8, just look for support mate. And bring in Tomane.

Love to see Walker in. But one thing at a time.

I really don't wanna see these players come in later in the year when we are out of contention. But maybe that is the only way we will experiment. Which is sad. Because how will whenever discover our true strengths?

Anyway I don't fear the Roosters, I fear US.

TITAN PETE
25-04-11, 07:07 AM
We should beat the Roosters easily but they are a far better side than the Eels & we couldn't put them to sleep ...
Bench Mini that might help wake him up to the fact u have to put in every week not every 2nd & put Bodene back in the pack..

Supergoose
25-04-11, 08:36 AM
The good thing for us about the Roosters is they go to sleep during games, especially against opposition they don't respect and I'll bet they don't respect us at the moment. The thing with Walker is he won't have played a match since NRL round 2 with his suspension. I reckon Presto may need to start but I'd hate to see him having to bring the ball back at full tilt all game into Masoe and JWH. But he will because that's Presto. The other thing with Mead and Walker at the back is do they talk enough! You need a player who can yell directions to get the defence on order and to help the halfback out in attack. I think Capewell and Presto and to a lesser extent Zillman give us that but I'm not sure either Mead or Walker do. Anyway, looking forward to see what Carty can do to turn our season around, let's hope big Joe cam get a start.

Rage
25-04-11, 09:44 AM
Just like everyone else, I really hope Tomane gets given a run this week, its a mystery as to why Carty keeps snubbing him

Mushi
25-04-11, 05:18 PM
Interesting to see if any changes are made this week after Carty's "blast". Ill discipline is what has cost us a few times this season - we seem to work on one thing one week ie defence, ball control or attack and forget all the others grrr!!!!! Roosters are also not great in the discipline dept so hopefully our boys have their heads on right and go out and have a blinder - ready for a run of home game wins!!!!

titansrawesome
25-04-11, 06:16 PM
tomane is top tryscorer in the qld cup so we really ought give him a 2 week trial

C-Whiz
26-04-11, 06:50 AM
If Presto is back, and he's playing off the bench, or being subbed in and out, then keep Zilly at 5/8, and let Presto and Walker share FB. This brings Walker back for a run while giving Presto a break, as well as giving Carty the option of sliding Presto into 5/8, Zilly back to FB if need be.

I understand the frustration with Mini, but if he's hot and cold, then this week he should be hot! :D
Home game, he usually shines. If I was gonna give him a "last chance", it would be this game.

Dopamine
26-04-11, 07:04 AM
Just like everyone else, I really hope Tomane gets given a run this week, its a mystery as to why Carty keeps snubbing him

I read in the paper he's a bit hot and cold and that his defence is pretty lazy...

shamus
26-04-11, 08:43 AM
I must have misssed something with Mini. I thought he had an allright game. Yeah, he lost the ball twice. The first time he thought he was close enough to put the ball down to score and the second time he heard the call from Capewell. Yeah, he should have ignored him but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

That's my 2 bob's worth..

TITAN PETE
26-04-11, 09:17 AM
Presto is only a 50 50 chance of playing this week:(

TitansFan2020
26-04-11, 10:48 AM
I must have misssed something with Mini. I thought he had an allright game. Yeah, he lost the ball twice. The first time he thought he was close enough to put the ball down to score and the second time he heard the call from Capewell. Yeah, he should have ignored him but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

That's my 2 bob's worth..

i agree had an excellent ball running game as did esi i reckon the main game changers were birds uneccesary offloads caused one try but redeemed with one scored and last 15 the falcon from harrison really changed the momentum

Rage
26-04-11, 10:57 AM
It's not that Mini played badly, he played alright. It just seems lots of Carty's 'blast' was directed at Mini and will be interesting to see what Carty does about it. The last pass I'm willing to chalk it up to both Mini and Capewell calling for it

Supergoose
26-04-11, 11:01 AM
At least he called - it's up to Mini to decide whether he can pass it or not. I wonder if Bodene called to Zillman earlier in the game. I thought Harrison and Bird were as equally inept as Mini was in the game - they all played good for portions but their mistakes and penalties cost us big.

thelwall
26-04-11, 12:03 PM
here are some stats from the past two games according to nrl.com :: the tigers game prince`s kick meters = 397 .... zillman`s kick meters = 12 ....... parra game prince`s kick meters = 364 ..... zillman`s kick meters = 56 .. i just think that there is to much pressure on prince , its clear as a bell where we are going for last play options thats why princes keeps getting hit when he kicks / charged down ( which i saw on the weekend ) i think having presto at 5/8 will relieve some of the pressure off princey and will also allow zillman to still do what he has been doing from fullback instead of 5/8 because honestly he hasnt really showed us any sort of kicking game

my team would be

1. zillman
2. Tomane
3. Mead
4. Tonga
5. Michaels
6. campbell
7. prince
8. Bailey
9. Friend
10. White
11. Minichiello
12. Bird
13. Harrison

14. Henderson
15. James
16. taga/ thompson /ridge / O'Dwyer
17. walker ( for a bit of spark ) ( could move zilly to 5/8 to give presto a break and walker to fullback ??? )

anyway thats just my thoughts :)

patskE
26-04-11, 12:31 PM
HIS PICKED THE SAME TEAM!!!
WTF
over this. how and why would you.... wow wow wow

patskE
26-04-11, 12:32 PM
Campbell was not named in the Titans' 17-man squad today but coach John Cartwright indicated he could come in to calculations for a late call-up if he can prove he is recovered from a knee strain suffered in round 4 against the Raiders.

Campbell took part in a training session this morning and is rated a 50-50 prospect for the Roosters match, which is already shaping as a must-win game for the Titans, who have won just two of their first seven matches this season.

Cartwright today named the same 17 players involved in Sunday's last-minute loss to Parramatta.

TEAM: Luke Capewell, Steve Michaels, Esi Tonga, Bodene Thompson, David Mead, William Zillman, Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Nathan Friend, Matthew White, Greg Bird, Mark Miniciello, Ashley Harrison. Res: Michael Henderson, Ryan James, Ben Ridge, Luke O'Dwyer.

from the courier mail

thelwall
26-04-11, 12:46 PM
pretty sure he has problems :|

teke
26-04-11, 02:20 PM
They should have won the Parra game so Im not surprised the same team is announced. If they lose this weekend there will be changes

DIEHARD
26-04-11, 04:03 PM
Presto is only a 50 50 chance of playing this week:(

That's a shame but we don't want to push him before he is ready.

Rage
26-04-11, 04:47 PM
I say don't play Presto if he's feeling even 1% off, just let him have his rest so he can come back full strength for us. There's no reason the team named can't win if they fix up their attitude/discipline and don't concede so many penalties

titansrawesome
26-04-11, 05:20 PM
They should have won the Parra game so Im not surprised the same team is announced. If they lose this weekend there will be changes

no there wont, we are 2-5 and we have barely changed the team this season. what was the point of cartys spray if he wasnt wielding the axe? the roosters are much better than the eels imo

teke
26-04-11, 05:28 PM
no there wont, we are 2-5 and we have barely changed the team this season. what was the point of cartys spray if he wasnt wielding the axe? the roosters are much better than the eels imoThe team has been changed a fair bit already this year. They played well enough to win the Parra game comfortably so it's understandable that the spray was to get the current squad into the right frame of mind.

titansrawesome
26-04-11, 05:30 PM
The team has been changed a fair bit already this year. They played well enough to win the Parra game comfortably so it's understandable that the spray was to get the current squad into the right frame of mind.

we need the 3 ts in the same side, tagatese,tomane and tonga along with walker, we cant score any points with no flair

teke
26-04-11, 05:38 PM
we need the 3 ts in the same side, tagatese,tomane and tonga along with walker, we cant score any points with no flairI would do only one change at a time and that would be either Tomane in for Thompson or Walker in at fullback.

Bringing all those blokes in at the same time is more than likely asking for trouble. It would be nice if they actually put the ball in Meads hands cause he has the ability to do alot of good.

Rage
26-04-11, 05:45 PM
I would even settle for Mead at fullback but hate it or love it, this is the way Carty coaches so we just gotta stick it out with what he chooses

lonegull
26-04-11, 06:11 PM
I would even settle for Mead at fullback but hate it or love it, this is the way Carty coaches so we just gotta stick it out with what he chooses

totally agree, we all know carty wil stick by his troops and not make massive changes

C-Whiz
26-04-11, 07:07 PM
The last pass I'm willing to chalk it up to both Mini and Capewell calling for it
At least he called - it's up to Mini to decide whether he can pass it or not.If Mini passed, it had of stuck, Capes scores under the posts, they are both awesome footballing geniuses.

The team has been changed a fair bit already this year. They played well enough to win the Parra game comfortably so it's understandable that the spray was to get the current squad into the right frame of mind.Agreed. As Ive said before, at some point you have to accept you are playing with your best team, and let them become the best team they can be.

Chaos
26-04-11, 07:14 PM
Agreed. As Ive said before, at some point you have to accept you are playing with your best team, and let them become the best team they can be.

That certainly works for Queensland in Origin.

In Titans case we have an injured Preston that can play 5/8...I thought we went wrong by swapping Zillman and Capewell around in the first place.

C-Whiz
26-04-11, 07:21 PM
I thought we went wrong by swapping Zillman and Capewell around in the first place.Swapping which way? I was adamant about Zilly FB and letting Capes gel into 5/8, but convinced Zilly is the man at 5/8 now. Not convinced Capes is our FB though, but seems he has 1 more week to prove himself right, and prove me wrong. Good luck Capes!

Chaos
26-04-11, 08:19 PM
Swapping which way? I was adamant about Zilly FB and letting Capes gel into 5/8, but convinced Zilly is the man at 5/8 now. Not convinced Capes is our FB though, but seems he has 1 more week to prove himself right, and prove me wrong. Good luck Capes!

Zillman used to be our Fullback...I thought Capewell was bought for the 5/8 position...Carty has swapped it around but I haven't seen any fullback qualities in Capewell.

Rage
26-04-11, 09:53 PM
Officially, Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright named an unchanged 17 for Saturday night's NRL clash with Sydney Roosters.

But the frustrated mentor is sweating on adding a name that may just turn their disappointing season start around - inspirational veteran Preston Campbell.

Cartwright would never describe the Titans as a one-man team but he conceded the wily utility would have made a difference in their gut-wrenching last round loss to the Eels - their fifth defeat in seven rounds.

Campbell has been missing in action for a month since injuring his knee in round three - and it seems his return could not come soon enough judging by Cartwright.

"We miss him when he is not there basically," Cartwright said on Tuesday.

"You tend to know when Preston is not on the field for us and at the training field especially.

"He provides just something that has been lacking in our side.

"On the weekend with Preston on the field it would have made a difference on how we approached the last 10 minutes - he's that important to our side."

Campbell will be assessed later in the week but if he returns he is likely to replace Luke Capewell at fullback judging by Cartwright's glowing assessment of makeshift pivot Will Zillman on Tuesday.

Clearly Cartwright had calmed down from his seething post-match display at Parramatta where he slammed the Titans' "arrogance" after throwing caution to the wind in the final minutes - costing them the game.

One of the main offenders was backrower Mark Minichiello, whose poor options late in the match included a pushed pass that set the Eels on course for a match winning try with 37 seconds left on the clock.

But asked if it was tempting to bench Minichiello for the Roosters clash, Cartwright said: "You can't base your decision on one game.

"He realises he made a couple of errors at the end of the game, and I know he won't do it again.

"It's not an area that has been a concern for us - last year we won more close games than anyone else in the competition.

"I was just worried about not being further in front than we were at that stage - that's what cost us the game not a couple of rash decisions at the end of the game."

While conceding their form did not warrant many State of Origin places, Cartwright backed lock Ashley Harrison to hold his Queensland spot despite pressure from North Queensland tackling machine Dallas Johnson.

"Your (team) form dictates that (Origin selection), and we are not winning enough games to get many into State of Origin - that's a fact," he said.

"As a team we have to start winning games, then individual rewards come your way."

But Cartwright said of Harrison: "I couldn't imagine him not being there - whether we are winning or losing one constant is Harro."

Cartwright also threw Greg Bird into the Origin mix.

"He is a player that thrives on that type of footy," he said.

www.nrl.com

DIEHARD
27-04-11, 08:41 AM
Preston Campbell may be late inclusion

HAVING named the same 17-man squad for the third week running, Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright hinted there may be one late change as his side looks to ruffle some feathers against Sydney Roosters at Skilled Park on Saturday.

While content with not 'chopping and changing' and pleased with the William Zillman experiment in the halves, Cartwright admitted that if he had a magic wand he'd use it to get the real magician back on the pitch.

''Preston is the main one we're waiting on,'' Cartwright said of Campbell who is still working his way back to full fitness following a medial ligament injury sustained against Canberra in round four.

''If he comes through the week alright we'll have to make a decision as to whether to include him or not.

''He's number one for his composure and cool head and if Preston was on the field at the weekend (against Parramatta) it definitely would have made a difference to how we approached the final 10 minutes (when the Titans conceded the losing try).''

GOLD COAST TITANS SQUAD: Luke Capewell, Steve Michaels, Esi Tonga, Bodene Thompson, David Mead, William Zillman, Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Nathan Friend, Matthew White, Greg Bird, Mark Minichiello, Ashley Harrison. INTERCHANGE: Michael Henderson, Ryan James, Ben Ridge, Luke O'Dwyer

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Steelers
27-04-11, 08:47 AM
Would Preston force Capewell out of fullback or Zillman out of 5/8? Or would someone drop off the bench? So many questions :laugh:

DIEHARD
27-04-11, 09:04 AM
Would Preston force Capewell out of fullback or Zillman out of 5/8? Or would someone drop off the bench? So many questions :laugh:

Surely Preston at fullback and keep Zillman at 5/8th. Im a fan of Zillman at 5/8th, he just needs to pass the ball, look for support and offer support more and I'll be alot more satisfied.

smithers12345
27-04-11, 12:35 PM
How can Carty pick Luke Capewell at fullback? He has been given 2 games in a row at fullback and has done absolutely NOTHING. Not to mention the linebreak he made against the Cowboys and dropping it cold, he is pathetic, he doesent provide any spark or attack to the team. A fullback is meant to be a dangerous player, he certainly is not that!

They need to put Shannon Walker in, hes fast, hard to tackle and very dangerous, we need to take a risk and out someone in that may win us games, im sure Shannon can score trys week in week out.

Zillman is performing exceptional at 5/8, i think we have found a halves partner for Prince.
1. Walker (provide us with a lot more attack and flare than capewell)
2. Michaels (speed on the wing is crucial)
3. Tonga (stepped up to the mark and has great footwork)
4. Tomane (strength and speed, not to mention a prelific tryscorer)
5. Mead (not sure, hasnt been scoring many tries, need to prove himself)
6. Zillman (great at 5/8)
7. Prince (must have, great leader)
8. Bailey (Provides great go forward and a veteran, experienced player)
9. Friend (defence and tackling is exceptional, fittest player in the team)
10. Laffranchi (former international and very experienced)
11. Bird ( International and origin player, one of our best in 2011)
12. Minichello (great line running and very powerful close to the line)
13. Harrison (Origin player and leads our forwards)

14. White
15. James
16. Thompson
17. Campbell

Provide feedback please :)

Surfers6
27-04-11, 01:25 PM
How can Carty pick Luke Capewell at fullback? He has been given 2 games in a row at fullback and has done absolutely NOTHING. Not to mention the linebreak he made against the Cowboys and dropping it cold, he is pathetic, he doesent provide any spark or attack to the team. A fullback is meant to be a dangerous player, he certainly is not that!

They need to put Shannon Walker in, hes fast, hard to tackle and very dangerous, we need to take a risk and out someone in that may win us games, im sure Shannon can score trys week in week out.

Zillman is performing exceptional at 5/8, i think we have found a halves partner for Prince.

14. White
15. James
16. Thompson
17. Campbell

I like it and would score points.

My main points for Carty are to get Capewell out and get Tomane in.

C-Whiz
27-04-11, 01:43 PM
Provide feedback please :)Ok, since you've asked.... ;)

Mead has been a stand-out, along with Michaels on the wings. For some reason the same people who complain about players performing badly in the wrong position also want to move those that are playing awesome in their given position.... some people are never happy!

I would say Carty has Capes pencilled in at FB awaiting results of Presto's return. Walker seems to be the "peoples" choice for FB, but I'd say he needs to prove himself again, not just be a selection based on past performance. Otherwise it all sounds pretty good. :D

titansrawesome
27-04-11, 02:07 PM

14. White
15. James
16. Thompson
17. Campbell

i almost agree but i would like tagatese in somewhere, maybe for white/james? and ridge should be in there somewhere too. otherwise a good lineup

C-Whiz
27-04-11, 02:24 PM
i almost agree but i would like tagatese in somewhere, maybe for white/james? and ridge should be in there somewhere too. otherwise a good lineupI was actually thinking Tags should get a start in there somewhere too. :thumbsup:

Rage
27-04-11, 02:42 PM
NRL.com Wed, Apr 27, 2011 - 2:45 PM

Titans v Roosters
Skilled Park
Saturday 5.30pm

Just over seven months ago these two teams suited up in far different circumstances. They were a win away from a grand final, in form and looking like sides that had all the ingredients for long-term NRL success.

But what a difference ? now, after seven rounds of the new season, both the Titans and the Roosters have just a pair of wins each; they sit in lowly 13th and 12th respectively on the NRL ladder and look anything but premiership contenders.

In defence of the Roosters, they actually gave the Dragons a mighty challenge on Anzac Day before falling short, so perhaps they are beginning to turn things around.

But the Titans were close to woeful against the Eels in a scrappy match last Sunday, giving their fans little reason to be optimistic about the year going forward.

They return home prepared to stick with the same 17 who lost in the dying stages against the Eels, although Matthew White is due to start at prop with Michael Henderson going back to the bench.

There is the slight chance of the late inclusion of Preston Campbell also.

The Roosters have decided to shift Mitchell Aubusson back to the centres with the return of Tom Symonds to the second row. Phil Graham moves to the bench. Prop Jason Ryles is also back, pushing Mose Masoe to the reserves? list.

The time has come for one of these sides to get their year headed in the right direction ? because another loss now is going to have them chasing teams uphill for the remainder of the season? and don?t forget the representative fixtures are coming, a disruption for most sides.

Watch Out Titans: One Rooster who is primed for a big performance is captain Braith Anasta. Thrust back into the five-eighth jersey following all of the Todd Carney issues, Anasta is taking it upon himself to lead his side back into the winner?s circle.

He may have won only three of his seven matches against the Titans but Anasta has scored five tries in those games. He also has six line-breaks and five try assists against the Gold Coast ? a sure sign he lifts to take them on. With another week to perfect his combination with Mitchell Pearce, Anasta could well be the difference against the Titans? makeshift pivot William Zillman.

And with City-Country teams named after this round, Anasta may pull out a belter, just to remind selectors he?s still a capable impact player.

Danger Sign: Anasta is at his most dangerous when he takes on the line. The Titans should be prepared to commit numbers to him early as he looks to run ? but should also be aware he has an astute passing game and one of the game?s best centres in Shaun Kenny-Dowall outside him.

Watch Out Roosters: The Titans are ready to hit the right edge, all night long. The Roosters have conceded an NRL-high 10 tries on the right fringe, meaning their left-side defence is having all sorts of problems.

The Gold Coast side is full of potential danger men, with Ashley Harrison, Mark Minichiello and Greg Bird all established edge runners. Ryan James can come off the bench and cause havoc here also.

Danger Sign: While the mentioned forwards need to be watched on the fringes, also watch for Zillman to have a crack himself. He has a taste for the try line now with five for the year. He?s explosive off the mark and while his defensive play in his new No.6 jersey may be a tad suspect, there?s no doubting he?s revelling in attack.

Plays To Watch: The Titans targeting short-side corridors; grubbers for the fleet-footed SKD; ex-Dragons mates Jason Ryles and Luke Bailey charging into each other without fear; Anasta and Zillman backing themselves on the spur of the moment.

Where It Will Be Won: Scott Prince v Mitchell Pearce. The Roosters went into last season?s grand final qualifier extremely confident for one major reason? they don?t really rate Scott Prince. They are aware he has won plenty of games for his side before, has won a premiership and a Clive Churchill Medal, but our mail is they were solid in the belief that if they applied the blowtorch to his game, he would crumble.

When Prince has time to weave his magic, he is brilliant. But when he is hustled and bustled by the opposition, his game has been known to unravel. The Roosters will look to do this to him again, like they did successfully in the finals in 2010.

Last week Prince was accused of playing in his dinner suit by ex-teammate Chris Walker? you probably won?t hear any big statements out of the Roosters? camp but you can believe they feel the same way.

Meanwhile, Mitchell Pearce is also struggling a little this season. The likely NSW halfback knows he needs to find something extra to lift his side without Carney in the squad. He needs to control the tempo of the game, keep his side on track and keep them composed when deep in attack.

The Roosters had enough quality ball and field position to win three games against the Dragons but forced the last pass or took the wrong option way too often. It is up to Pearce to keep a cool head here.

The halfback who wins the head-to-head-battle will be the one singing the victory song afterwards.

The History: Played 7; Titans 4, Roosters 3. The Titans might have a slight edge but the Roosters have won two of the past three, including when it mattered most ? in last year?s grand final qualifier.

The teams have met just once before at Skilled Park, when the Roosters prevailed 30-16 in Round 12 last year. If you discount last year?s finals blow-out (32-6) the average winning margin between these teams is just 6.8 points.

Conclusion: If the Roosters can continue the form they showed against the Dragons you could be fairly confident they have what it takes to win here. But, they have lacked any semblance of consistency this year, so who knows?

One thing is for sure ? if the Titans continue to play like last week they will have their ?****s smacked? as Scott Prince so delicately put it in the post-match media conference.

Heading back to Skilled Park should help the Titans but this is still anybody?s game. Might be time to toss a coin.

Match officials: Referees ? Matt Cecchin & Gavin Reynolds; Touch Judges ? Jeff Younis & Michael Wise; Video Ref ? Chris Ward.

Televised: Fox Sports ? Live 5.30pm.

* Statistics: NRL Stats.

titansrawesome
27-04-11, 02:43 PM
I was actually thinking Tags should get a start in there somewhere too. :thumbsup:

yeah he is a very rough defender and is a very good and harder runner, i dont know about you but i think he should be playing over o dwyer

Surfers6
27-04-11, 03:31 PM
yeah he is a very rough defender and is a very good and harder runner, i dont know about you but i think he should be playing over o dwyer

He was not real good for Ipswich on the weekend but he is a good player.
Tomane scored a good tackle busting try though.

titansrawesome
27-04-11, 03:39 PM
He was not real good for Ipswich on the weekend but he is a good player.
Tomane scored a good tackle busting try though.

i say tomane,walker taga all in the same side has to give you attacking flair and points, add that to a side with the likes of tonga,zilly,michaels,mead,prince,bird etc and i dont see what the problem is for not putting them in especially in our position we are in now

teke
28-04-11, 12:13 AM
I would say Carty has Capes pencilled in at FB awaiting results of Presto's return. Walker seems to be the "peoples" choice for FB, but I'd say he needs to prove himself again, not just be a selection based on past performance. Otherwise it all sounds pretty good. :DWalker has performed all year so far and is proving himself however those in front of him are doing ok aswell.

Rage
28-04-11, 07:14 AM
Did Walker play last week? I forgot when he came/comes off suspension

smithers12345
28-04-11, 04:50 PM
Walker is a must, Capewell is horrible, Campbell is getting too old to be playing a full 80 minutes and throwing his little body into those big front rowers. Walker has to be put at fullback.

WAKE UP TO YOURSELF CARTY!

Supergoose
28-04-11, 06:14 PM
Capewell is far from horrible. I hope we can keep him long term. He is going to be excellent in the next few years and he is still very young.

TITAN PETE
28-04-11, 06:43 PM
Capewell is far from horrible. I hope we can keep him long term. He is going to be excellent in the next few years and he is still very young.

Agree 100% the kid will need time to develop into a top player & I hope he gets it ;)

smithers12345
28-04-11, 07:01 PM
Capewell has played the last 3 games at fullback and hasnt even scored a try yet, the fullback is supose to be the player who scores most of the trys in any team along with wingers, not to mention Capewell will a free run to the line against the cowboys and dropping it, HE SUCKS!

Look at every other teams fullback- Matt Bowen, Brett Stewart, Ben Barba, Nathan Gardner, Billy Slater, Jarryd Hayne, Josh Dugan, Darius Boyd.

And the Titans are stuck with one of the worst fullbacks in the game-Luke Capewell, he doesent provide the spark in attack like all these other fullbacks do.

Yeah maybe Shannon Walker isn't as experienced at these players but he is faster than the majority of them and scores more tries. Walker just needs game time in 1st grade. Walker would run rings around Luke Capewell anyday. Get rid of him.

GoldCoastTitans100
28-04-11, 07:16 PM
Capewell has played the last 3 games at fullback and hasnt even scored a try yet, the fullback is suppose to be the player who scores most of the trys in any team along with wingers, not to mention Capewell will a free run to the line against the cowboys and dropping it, HE SUCKS!

Look at every other teams fullback- Matt Bowen, Brett Stewart, Ben Barba, Nathan Gardner, Billy Slater, Jarryd Hayne, Josh Dugan, Darius Boyd.

And the Titans are stuck with one of the worst fullbacks in the game-Luke Capewell, he doesn't provide the spark in attack like all these other fullbacks do.

Yeah maybe Shannon Walker isn't as experienced at these players but he is faster than the majority of them and scores more tries. Walker just needs game time in 1st grade. Walker would run rings around Luke Capewell anyday. Get rid of him.

:laugh:

Tamwelg
28-04-11, 07:21 PM
Capewell has played the last 3 games at fullback and hasnt even scored a try yet, the fullback is supose to be the player who scores most of the trys in any team along with wingers, not to mention Capewell will a free run to the line against the cowboys and dropping it, HE SUCKS!

And the Titans are stuck with one of the worst fullbacks in the game-Luke Capewell, he doesent provide the spark in attack like all these other fullbacks do.

:laugh: :laugh: Nice work. Boyd scored 4 tries in 47 matches for the Dragon prior to this year. Nice to see you know what you are talking about.

smithers12345
28-04-11, 07:32 PM
yeah but how many tries did he set up?

i was actuely talking about boyd being a great player, you dont have to score tries to be a great player...glad to see you can read

oh and is that why Darius Boyd got fullback of the year?
oh im sorry, you definetly know what your talking about dont you?

Supergoose
28-04-11, 08:19 PM
And Capewell will set-up plenty of tries and score plenty too. Give the kid a chance. I'm all for Walker getting a run and I reckon he is a game breaker, but I'm not willing to throw Capewell to the wolves. He needs a season at Half or 5/8 in the Queensland Cup to be the dominate player at that level. He is more than capable of that. His time will come. He is probably the successor to Prince and just needs to rack up experience. He is a former Australian Schoolboys 5/8 and those players normally have plenty of talent that just needs to be nurtured.

Tamwelg
28-04-11, 08:28 PM
yeah but how many tries did he set up?

i was actuely talking about boyd being a great player, you dont have to score tries to be a great player...glad to see you can read

oh and is that why Darius Boyd got fullback of the year?
oh im sorry, you definetly know what your talking about dont you?

I think you misinterpreted my post. I was not alluding to Boyd being bad, I rate Boyd very highly and would place him in the top 3 fullbacks in the competition. My fingers are crossed that we see him in Titans colours next year.

As Teke has said before Boyd is exactly what the Titans need. Go have a look at the Dragons game highlights for the past few years and see who is the main link getting the ball to the outside backs. With Boyd playing fullback our outside backs would see more ball then ever before. He is one of the most important possible signings spoken about to date.

I was actually using Boyd to point out a contradiction in your post. Your theory being Capewell being a bad player was based on the fact he has not scored a try in 3 games and fullbacks are meant to score most of the tries.

A contradiction which is again evident in your reply to my post.

you dont have to score tries to be a great player

thelwall
28-04-11, 09:00 PM
to add to that brett stewart has also played 3 games and hasnt scored either ,

smithers12345
28-04-11, 10:27 PM
yeah but look at his previous record...118 games for Manly, 98 tries

Shannon Walker is also a former Australia schoolboy player. Shannon played fullback in that team so dont go talking about how good luke capewell and try to compare him to other fullbacks in the game.

Its simple, Shannon Walker is better than Capewell and always will be, i dont even know why we signed Luke Capewell, waste of money. Look how good we did last year, 4th on the ladder, this year 13th right now with Capewell at fullback

what does that tell you about bringing Capewell into the lineup..

GoldCoastTitans100
28-04-11, 10:33 PM

Shannon Walker is also a former Australia schoolboy player. Shannon played fullback in that team so dont go talking about how good luke capewell and try to compare him to other fullbacks in the game.

Its simple, Shannon Walker is better than Capewell and always will be, i dont even know why we signed Luke Capewell, waste of money. Look how good we did last year, 4th on the ladder, this year 13th right now with Capewell at fullback

:rolf:

Blazertaser
28-04-11, 10:34 PM

The guy has been given like 4 games at the titans, and you expect him to just gel with all the players within that time.... You watch, if Shannon Walker was to come on to the starting side over Capewell, it'll take him a couple weeks also to understand the plays and strategies the titans use.

To add to that, Capewell has been improving week after week, still not terrific, but he is only young. Like someone has previously said in this thread, you can't just throw him to the wolves yet, give him some time, i assure you he'll improve each week.

Coaster
28-04-11, 10:37 PM
Capewell was in the same Australian team lol, do some homework on these players before dissing them. If you like Walker that's great but don't use it as an excuse to bag another

Blazertaser
28-04-11, 10:43 PM
Look how good we did last year, 4th on the ladder, this year 13th right now with Capewell at fullback

Great statistic...... 7 games into the season and your comparing us to us what we end up overall last year. To add to that, you honestly believe that if Capewell wasn't in the side this statistic would be different...... one player doesn't make a team champa

titansrawesome
28-04-11, 10:51 PM
Great statistic...... 7 games into the season and your comparing us to us what we end up overall last year. To add to that, you honestly believe that if Capewell wasn't in the side this statistic would be different...... one player doesn't make a team champa

its obviously not the reason why we are doing woefully this year, the fact is our attack has sucked for over a year since our flair has been coached out of us as some have said, we all know this now we would have missed the finals last year had we not made the terrific move to shift rogers to 5/8 so the ball would go out to the backs again. capewell shouldnt shoulder all the blame but i do think tagatese,tomane and walker have to be injected into our side and we have to have flair back then, our forwards are doing there job by getting field position, now we have to get our attack crisp so we can use their platform.

GoldCoastTitans100
28-04-11, 10:51 PM
Smithers you will get along with Ryan

Coaster
28-04-11, 11:01 PM
I think a few of you forget how young we are. Not just as a club but as a organization. Carty is also young for a coach, FFS he played football with Rogers, think about that for a second. He is also finding his feet, and if he doesn't make mistakes we are not growing as a team.

Now I know it sucks to lose, but this is part of growing and it sh#ts me to listen to a generation that's expects instant success. This is life, it is hard, and when we reach the peak, we will look back on those we have lost and the journey we have taken and all be better people for it

teke
29-04-11, 01:53 AM
Capewell was in the same Australian team lol, do some homework on these players before dissing them. If you like Walker that's great but don't use it as an excuse to bag anotherLuke and Shannon did play in the same Aussie School boys team

C-Whiz
29-04-11, 06:59 AM
i dont even know why we signed Luke Capewell, waste of money. Look how good we did last year, 4th on the ladder, this year 13th right now with Capewell at fullback

what does that tell you about bringing Capewell into the lineup..It tells me you don't like Capewell very much.

I was 100% in favour of Capes playing 5/8 for a while, but Ive accepted it's not working for him. He's had a couple of ordinary moments at FB too, but Id hardly blame him for the whole teams very average start to the season. :nope: He was bought into the team for a purpose, and maybe he's not ready yet, but I think he has enormous talent, just hasn't developed it fully yet.

Surfers6
29-04-11, 08:18 AM
Capewell should be wearing the 17 jumper or QLD cup.

I am really hoping Presto can get up for this one and take back the fullback jumper.

curly_11
29-04-11, 08:28 AM
Cant blame Capewell for our loss in form. The team as a whole is to blame. Sure certain players have been worse than others but our attitude is lacking at times and negative or not confident and the other teams sense this and pounce on it.

It happens in all forms of sport from F1 to Golf to Football! If we want to be up near the top 4 we need to restore our believe and improve our attitude.

I think we are close to breaking the shackles, our defence is getting better and Zillman at 5/8 is helping our attack (Although he needs to pass when on!). Also need more from our backline i feel to stretch the game out.

IMO I would prefer Shannon at FB purely because he is a freak when he gets going and i would prefer Tomane over Mead as i think Mead needs to get cut to inspire him back to his potential. (Ready for the abuse from Teke and co for critising their love child :poke: )

matti
29-04-11, 10:53 AM
What happend to the saying there is no "i" in team , Its a team sport not a individual sport . Watching Qcup now and no taga this week for me, his playing terrible.

Surfers6
29-04-11, 11:04 AM
As per Foxsports - Presto back replacing Capewell.

i am not a fan of having a small fullback but prefer to have Presto at the back than Capes.

teke
29-04-11, 11:47 AM
IMO I would prefer Shannon at FB purely because he is a freak when he gets going and i would prefer Tomane over Mead as i think Mead needs to get cut to inspire him back to his potential. (Ready for the abuse from Teke and co for critising their love child :poke: )You f'n asked for it :mad:

Nah :D

Ok you are Mead, what do you do on the field apart from have friendly banter with the touch judges? Week in week out he goes in for the ball and week in week out he has Zilly and Bird telling him to stay wide. Funny isnt it that the 2 players telling him to stay wide are 2 of the main 3 that have super glue on their hands. Stick Tomane in their and nothing changes

DIEHARD
29-04-11, 11:50 AM
Consistency, control key for Titans

Gold Coast Titans hooker Nathan Friend. Pic: Brendan Radke
"YOU can't compete if you don't complete."

That was the simple yet striking response Gold Coast Titans hooker Nathan Friend gave yesterday regarding to his side's below-par start to the NRL season which culminated in two dropped balls late in their last-minute loss to Parramatta at the weekend.

Camped on the unlucky 13th rung ahead of their showdown with fellow cellar-dwellers Sydney Roosters at Skilled Park tomorrow, Friend said there had been much focus this week at training on controlling the pill.

"We just played around in the mud today and hopefully that helps for the weekend," the cheeky No.9 quipped in relation to the inclement conditions at Robina yesterday.

"Nah, we're trying to make ourselves aware of the completion rate and when and when not to throw that ball.

"Our completion rate this year has been down around the 50 to 60 per cent mark while teams like the Broncos who are up the top are around 80 per cent."

The workhorse hooker will celebrate his 100th game in Titans colours on Saturday and is desperate to mark the milestone with a win.

However to do so Friend said the out-of-sorts Gold Coasters will need to find some consistency.

Consistency aided by coach John Cartwright's decision to name an unchanged 17-man squad for the third week in a row.

"We need to get back on the horse," he said.

"Our form has been pretty patchy all year and we need to find some consistency.

"John's is trying to show some loyalty to the guys who have performed in the past.

"We mightn't have had the best game last start but I'm confident we'll turn it around this weekend."

Beaten grand finalists' last year, the Roosters too have endured a tumultuous start to their NRL campaign.

And while the absence of bad boys Todd Carney and Anthony Watts will again test the visitors, Friend said the Sydney-siders are not to be underestimated having last year beaten the Titans in round 12 - the only other occasion the two sides have met at Skilled Park - and thumped them during the preliminary final in Brisbane.

"They've had their ups and downs as well as we all know," Friend said.

"But they've performed well here in the past.

"We just need to worry about our own backyard and getting it right."

Kick off is at 5.30pm.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
29-04-11, 11:51 AM
PRINCE: Kick masochists to the curb
Scott Prince | April 29th, 2011

As the Oxford dictionary explains, 'Masochism is the enjoyment of an activity that appears to be painful.'

The Titans have become past masters of this and I appreciate it must drive our fans crazy.

Last Sunday was a classic example. We had that game and the Eels in our grasp. But we allowed both to slip away.

There are many great traits within this club, but also a couple of worrying ones. The most concerning for me is our inability to put teams away.

This isn't a modern phenomenon. It has been part of our club since inception, however when you are having an ordinary run, as we are now, it is the glitches in our game that stand out like neon signs.

On Sunday we had our foot on Parramatta's throat and we should have applied the killer blow, but instead the masochist in us appeared.

Instead of being tough and methodical the masochist in us let our concentration wander and dropped ball and missed tackles were the result.

I am not talking about the last few minutes. I am talking about the last 60 minutes. We were in control that entire time and with three minutes to go we should have been ahead by 20, not just two.

It is understandable that people have a crack at a player who stuffs up in the final minutes of the game. But just as much to blame is the masochists among us who made a similar mistake at the 20-minute mark.

To say that Carty was unhappy with us would be an understatement. And he had every right to be filthy. We let him down and we let the club down.

Another annoying factor about the Eels game is that we went against one of the great traits of this football team.

We actually have been a team that has been able to defend a lead.

The stats show that we seldom get run down in the last 25 minutes. But again the masochists had their day.

We caused ourselves and our fans needless pain.

The question now is what to do?

The answer is simple. Rugby league is not rocket science. Each player has his job, his workspace. Each of us has to complete our own individual tasks.

If we do that we will have a successful outcome. For most of this season each of us has not been doing our allotted tasks and the results speak for themselves.

The time to change it up is now tomorrow night against the Roosters.

We now go into a stretch of four games in South-East Queensland. We now have to draw a line in the sand.

The time for second chances is over. I am not talking desperation football. I am suggesting we get back to the brand of football that brings us success.

We certainly can do that and we certainly can get back to a winning formula.

We just have to kick the masochist to the kerb.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Titan_Blue
29-04-11, 12:08 PM
You f'n asked for it :mad:

Nah :D

Ok you are Mead, what do you do on the field apart from have friendly banter with the touch judges? Week in week out he goes in for the ball and week in week out he has Zilly and Bird telling him to stay wide. Funny isnt it that the 2 players telling him to stay wide are 2 of the main 3 that have super glue on their hands. Stick Tomane in their and nothing changes

I bet Mead would get some more ball with Tomane as his centre partner...

TITAN PETE
29-04-11, 01:25 PM
My mail is just Get on the Titans ,, we will be winning :fist:

teke
29-04-11, 01:28 PM
My mail is just Get on the Titans ,, we will be winning :fist:Im on em big this weekend

Supergoose
29-04-11, 05:07 PM
Princey must have been reading the forums. Pretty much what we've all been saying.

Rage
29-04-11, 06:00 PM
Prince always says the right things, just a case of if he and the team actually carry it out on game day

Titanmudgee
30-04-11, 10:31 AM
I have it on very good authority that presto is still only 50/50 tonight and if he doesn't pass fitness this afternoon there could be a few suprises in the team. There have been a few players instructed to turn up expecting that they could play. My mail is Tomane will be coming in and mead to fullback if presto doesn't pass fit. Let's see will make a lot of people happy on here.

DIEHARD
30-04-11, 10:50 AM
Looking forward to the game, see you all there. Looking forward to that home ground advantage!

Coaster
30-04-11, 11:01 AM
I have it on very good authority that presto is still only 50/50 tonight and if he doesn't pass fitness this afternoon there could be a few suprises in the team. There have been a few players instructed to turn up expecting that they could play. My mail is Tomane will be coming in and mead to fullback if presto doesn't pass fit. Let's see will make a lot of people happy on here.

That is good news, he is getting closer

Rage
30-04-11, 01:19 PM
^ Starting to get excited if that's the case

teke
30-04-11, 02:24 PM
Here we come Rooster Scum :mad: :mad:

titansrawesome
30-04-11, 02:45 PM
dont tempt me with tomane, god i hope this is true

Titanmudgee
30-04-11, 03:16 PM
Presto has been given to 5 to prove if not its Tomane time

titansrawesome
30-04-11, 03:24 PM
Presto has been given to 5 to prove if not its Tomane time

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS i will be oh so happy if he is included and we will win with him getting a hattrick, but really it would make better sense to say capewell you ain't playing and put presto on the bench and tomane on the wing

Titan_Blue
30-04-11, 03:54 PM
Presto was just named on Fox

titansrawesome
30-04-11, 04:06 PM
Presto was just named on Fox

FARK!

Titanmudgee
30-04-11, 04:13 PM
Tomane is out there warming up let's see what transpires

titansrawesome
30-04-11, 04:37 PM
bloody hell still no tomane, we dont need o dwyer on the bench, we should have had mead FB, tomane wing and campbell bench

Titanic
30-04-11, 05:02 PM
we are pathetic :-(

isaiah
30-04-11, 05:52 PM
26 missed tackles to 11, it may be 12-12 but they will run out of steam

CairnsTitan
30-04-11, 06:05 PM
gotta say, the drums sound awesome on tv

Titan_Blue
30-04-11, 06:09 PM
Meady you legend

CairnsTitan
30-04-11, 06:15 PM
suck on that

Supergoose
30-04-11, 06:27 PM
We won. Yee-hah. Happy for the boys. Gee the Roosters are terrible but they still looked likely at times especially out wide. If we had half their backline moves we would be unbelievable. Our 2nd row need to be hauled over the coals. Their ill-discipline is killing us. Mini, Harrison and Bird bring so much to our team but they are all putting us under a ton of pressure with mistakes and penalties. We overcame some awful refereeing to win that game. The refs are looking to ping us for stuff. That Ryan James "late" hit on Mitchell Pearce decision was a joke. Zillman is the man and I think it's time for Mead to play in the centres with Tomane on the wing. Preston was all class and Ryan James really turned the game around for us.

gotitans101
30-04-11, 06:29 PM
Suck sh!t you incompetent morons in pink.

Tamwelg
30-04-11, 06:57 PM
A wins a win I'll take the two points, but we still played very badly.

Worst reffing displaying I've seen all year, and the funniest. I have never seen a trainer get penalised. Anyone else wearing refs ears realise the 10metre penalty, after Bird got penalised in possession near the roosters 20 in the second half, was against Gilly. Gilly was mouthing off and I think the ref thought it was a player, blew his whistle and then saw it was Gilly. Gilly got sent from the field. A Titans player said what was that for and the ref said, the trainer, get the trainer off the field". Very funny.

Ryan James had his best game so far. He single handedly changed the momentum in the first half when he came on and Zilly is tough as nails, got knocked out early, stayed out there and had a good solid game. I wasn't happy to see Ryan get taken off early in the second half. Sometimes coaches need to throw the interchange watch out the window and realise if a guy is not tired and is having a blinder he should stay out there. The refs told Ryan to calm down 3 - 4 times, but too me he was calm the whole time. It was very controlled aggression. Meady is looking a lot more comfortable out there now, pity he dropped that ball he would have had a double.

lonegull
30-04-11, 06:58 PM
great win, the titans had everything go against them, the refereeing was shocking and some of the calls against the titans i couldnt believe
Ryan James was great when on the field he is a monster and brings mongrel onto the fielld when he comes on, he smashed a few chooks and doesnt take a backyard step he is only going to get better with age

titansrawesome
30-04-11, 07:11 PM
ok see what i mean when i say our backs are fine with mead getting his try we just need to have good attacking plays and we'll get the tries, i still think tomane wing,mead centre, campbell fullback and walker/tagatese on the bench. zillman has 6 tries this year

hully gully
30-04-11, 07:35 PM
Suck sh!t you incompetent morons in pink.

totally agree we need a whinging thread because the refereeing against us is disgusting, i would be sacked if i did my job that badly....

titansrawesome
30-04-11, 07:39 PM
this is also what i meant by good sides win even if the refs are rubbish and we did win so thats something to take pride in

amaline
30-04-11, 07:45 PM
ok see what i mean when i say our backs are fine with mead getting his try we just need to have good attacking plays and we'll get the tries, i still think tomane wing,mead centre, campbell fullback and walker/tagatese on the bench. zillman has 6 tries this year

Translation- the backs are fine as they are. This is how we should change them. :laugh:

titansrawesome
30-04-11, 07:51 PM
Translation- the backs are fine as they are. This is how we should change them. :laugh:

ahh i was referring to the bigger picture regarding next years team being completely different in the backline buying idris,boyd and champion and maybe more

teke
30-04-11, 09:00 PM
Titans played well tonight.

They are defending really well and starting to get confident in attack. This team will get on a roll and imo be hard to beat.

Rage
30-04-11, 09:02 PM
Laine Clark AAP Sat, Apr 30, 2011 - 7:30 PM

The last time the Gold Coast Titans met the Sydney Roosters, they were playing for an NRL grand final berth.

At Skilled Park on Saturday, both sides were simply hoping to revive their season.

They may still face a long journey back to their best but the Titans took a positive first step with a 24-13 win in front of 15,177 fans.

Meeting the Roosters for the first time since they were thumped 32-6 in last year's preliminary final, the Titans relegated the tri-colours to their fourth straight loss.

The Titans turned their luck around to run out four tries to two winners, with Gold Coast pivot William Zillman grabbing a double.

At first, the Titans did not seem able to take a trick.

Winger David Mead dropped the ball with the line open in the 25th minute and young prop Ryan James was denied a try twice in as many minutes from the 32nd.

Then a try-bound Preston Campbell - back from a month-long sideline stint with a knee injury - was called back in the 57th minute due to a dubious knock-on call.

And they endured some anxious moments after Mead cut the Roosters up the middle to cross in the 73rd minute, but video referee Chris Ward deemed Campbell had not knocked on in the lead-up after a Scott Prince pass went to ground.

They were also their own worst enemies, giving away penalties on numerous occasions while in possession.

But at least Titans coach John Cartwright could afford to smile at fulltime as the Gold Coast moved to a 3-5 record.

After scores were locked up 6-6 at the break, Zillman showed amazing acceleration to cross in the 42nd minute and help give the hosts a 12-6 advantage.

But Titans fans' joy was shortlived as the Roosters turned it around following a shuddering Lama Tasi hit on Gold Coast backrower Greg Bird in the 50th minute.

Tasi - only in the side after a reshuffled caused by the withdrawal of Jason Ryles (hamstring) - smashed Bird who was then penalised for playing the ball over themark.

Three minutes later, halfback Mitchell Pearce sent Frank-Paul Nuuasusala over to score and Braith Anasta's conversion made it 12-12.

Pearce gave the visitors the edge with a 67th minute field goal before Mead struck.

Zillman capped the win when he pounced on a Tinirau Arona spilt ball and raced 30m to score untouched.

The Roosters' Test aspirant Nate Myles was placed on report for a 30th minute lifting tackle on Titans backrower Bird.

Rage
30-04-11, 09:06 PM
Just wanna say wow at the refereeing :doh:

GoldCoastTitans100
30-04-11, 09:13 PM
NRL refs are terrible, lots of mistakes happen every week, my favorite is when forward passes from dummy halve get missed every game then then refs decide it's a big issue late in the game.

The team has a long way to go before being considered final contenders, yes it was decent improvement but still a long way to go.

Zillman had a great game, i think he has sealed the number 6 jumper :D

Preston Campbell played a solid game i was impressed considering he just got back from injury.

Prince had a shocker, how long until he comes good ?
Im just sick of bad and basic passes and him finding any possible way to find the back three on the full from his kicks, what about his bomb that Mini did not need to move to catch?

shamus
30-04-11, 09:20 PM
'Luck turns'.............ya gotta be kiddin' me.......Worst refereeing I have seen since Adam was a boy..........and for those who have no idea what I am talking about...that is a life time plus some. :fight:

karnage
30-04-11, 09:40 PM
There's a lot of focus on our stuttering attack on here but Rugby League is played on both sides of the ball. Our defensive structures are looking really good and we are competing right across the park.

Poor old Prince can't take a trick on here. He's been smashed for poor defence, poor kicking and poor organisation. I thought he was passable in all those areas tonight - particularly his long kicking. He's just a victim of people's high expectations.

I gotta say that I really enjoyed the game tonight and the positives FAR outweigh any negatives people want to throw up.

The bit that hurts me the most is the fact that we would be on the cusp of the 8 right now if we hadn't given up our lead against the Eels last week.

Warriors Sunday followed by Manly on Monday followed by the bye. We win our next two and we are in it up to our eyeballs!!

karnage
30-04-11, 09:40 PM
One thing I agree with EVERYONE on is the refs!!

WTF!!!!

Rage
30-04-11, 09:43 PM
Zilly is truly on his way to becoming the coveted TP

eelectrica
30-04-11, 09:45 PM
Bill Harrigan needs to be removed from his role as Referees coach. I agree with those who this was one of the worse refereeing displays in a long time.
Well done Titans for hanging in and coming back to win the game.

A very special NO THANKS to the refs.

karnage
30-04-11, 09:54 PM
One observation that we made walking home is that Carty must have said to Bird 'hold on to the f*&%ing ball tonight mate'. Because he hardly looked to offload once.

Titanic
30-04-11, 10:05 PM
I posted in this thread at the 26th minute mark "we are pathetic" and we were bloody aweful.

I am stoked with the win and I agree our defence was great. And yes, the referees' displays were nightmarish. However, I don't retract that previous post.

Every one of us who post here have had something to say about the fundamental issues of ill-discipline and I'm sure the coaching staff and players are aware of them too. Yet, to say we are satisfied with that is a bit much. Being beaten by a better team is ok but beating ourselves is pretty hard to accept from professionals.

For the first time in ages I can accept leaving the team as it is, maybe Tomane for O'Dwyer or Laffranchi for Henderson or White but please, please, please ... cut out the goddamn pathetic ridiculous unforced errors!

matti
30-04-11, 10:23 PM
i love chalky he is playing sweet , i will be asking ben cummings about the refs atm, he does work with my brother. Wow didnt bird get smashed tonight

Mushi
30-04-11, 10:33 PM
Awesome goal line defence tonight - we did a lot more tackling than the chookies and withstood it well. Great to see that side of things coming along. Our attack is improving and the ball is moving around a lot more. We keep kicking ourselves in the teeth with ill discipline but it was much better than last week. Refs were an absolute disgrace and were quite humorous at the end of the game, beeping to all the titans fans as they left the stadium - seriously some of those decisions????? Anyway, as always great to get a win and the 2 points. Now it needs to be backed up with another next week!

teke
30-04-11, 10:49 PM
Geez Bodene and Tonga are defending extremely well in the centres. It's great to see the other teams getting shut down everytime they go out wide

titansrawesome
30-04-11, 11:03 PM
Geez Bodene and Tonga are defending extremely well in the centres. It's great to see the other teams getting shut down everytime they go out wide

ill agree they should stay if tomane goes to wing and mead to fullback and campbell impact player

teke
30-04-11, 11:29 PM
The best thing I like about Zillman is that he is always competing at 100% and it was shown in his 2nd try, tackle...ball pops out...boom he is on it, up then away.

Tamwelg
30-04-11, 11:33 PM
The best thing I like about Zillman is that he is always competing at 100% and it was shown in his 2nd try, tackle...ball pops out...boom he is on it, up then away.

:salute: :salute: :salute:

matti
30-04-11, 11:38 PM
zilly and scuba do run like fairys though i must amit

titansrawesome
30-04-11, 11:38 PM
:salute: :salute: :salute:

makes you wonder why we would want to make boyd a 5/8

TITAN PETE
01-05-11, 10:24 AM
Refereeing decisions almost killed us Again :nope: & not sure if many noticed at the game or if it came across on TV but at halftime Carty stood on the sideline & eyed the refs off the field until they disappeared up the tunnel & I'm sure Chechin & co could feel the Death Stair from the coach :ugh:

Ryan
01-05-11, 10:29 AM
Refereeing decisions almost killed us Again :nope: & not sure if many noticed at the game or if it came across on TV but at halftime Carty stood on the sideline & eyed the refs off the field until they disappeared up the tunnel & I'm sure Chechin & co could feel the Death Stair from the coach :ugh:
Trev should have Axed them heading into the tunnel, surely there are blind spots from the cameras?

Rage
01-05-11, 10:30 AM
Laine Clark AAP Sun, May 01, 2011 - 11:02 AM

Days after being snubbed by Queensland selectors, Gold Coast Titans captain Scott Prince has got his mojo back - and it goes by the name of Preston Campbell.

Prince had an extra spring in his step as he led the Titans to a vital 24-13 NRL win over the Sydney Roosters at Skilled Park on Saturday.

But he claimed it had more to do with Campbell's return from a month-long knee injury than missing out on Queensland's recent 25-strong Origin squad.

"There's so many things running through my head and he just settles me," Prince said of the veteran fullback.

"I told him after the game that I just felt that he eased the pressure for me.

"I've played with a lot of great fullbacks and he's certainly one of those.

"It helps when you've got a guy at the back to look up and talk to you - he's my eyes out there.

"And he brings that calmness across the park - it's a combination with him that I love."

The game's lead-up may have been about Prince's snub and hooker Nathan Friend becoming the first to play 100 games for the Titans.

But the aftermath of the welcome four tries-to-two victory was dominated by one man - 33-year-old Campbell.

Even when Titans coach John Cartwright heaped praise on his two-try hero - fullback-come-pivot William Zillman - it came back to that man Campbell.

"It's a combination of him (Zillman) having a few games there and Preston at the back - it makes everyone feel pretty comfortable," he said.

The Titans limped to Skilled Park with a 2-5 season record.

But suddenly the Gold Coast appear to have found a magic formula with Campbell at fullback complementing Zillman and Prince in the halves.

"Combination is a big thing and (Cartwright) had a bit of a headache with some selections due to injury and suspension but it's something that we're working on," Prince said.

"The core 1, 6, 7 and 9 (Friend) that we've got on the field is something that we can build on and it showed (against the Roosters)."

Zillman was a budding half before being relegated to fullback during his junior days at former club Canberra thanks to the emergence of Todd Carney and Terry Campese.

And he appears to be making up for lost time after Cartwright threw him into the Titans halves.

"I am certainly getting more comfortable at five-eighth now - the first couple of games were a bit of a shock," Zillman said.

"And we are starting to click together as a team.

"We are not playing our best footy but we are still in every game - to hang in there really shows the character of the team."

"Hopefully it (win over Roosters) is a turning point for the season."

TITAN PETE
01-05-11, 02:31 PM
Trev should have Axed them heading into the tunnel, surely there are blind spots from the cameras?

Gilly maybe the 1st trainer to be marched 10metres before being told to "Get Off" :argue:

thelwall
01-05-11, 02:32 PM
i was at the game and the drummers ( and legion ) were great , the reffing was poor .... there were an old couple behind me bagging the reff the whole game and for the first half i just sat there and put up with it :| but after the poor decisions that we had to put up with i joined them :)

DIEHARD
01-05-11, 02:45 PM
Ref nearly killed us. Outrageous. But luckily we won. I thought the drums were great and Im pleased with the feedback so far.

Zillman was awesome, I really want to keep him at 5/8th. James keeps getting better with every game.

How soft was that penalty on James. That was a fair hit, split second difference between ball off the boot and Jame's shoulder into Pearce. He coulnt have changed direction.

Meanwhile Prince has been getting smashed every week in far worse instances.

15k+ was IMO a solid crowd. Especially with the transport issues and wet weather.

Rage
01-05-11, 06:25 PM
Agree, what James was penalised for was nothing compared to all the late hits that have been put on Prince in the past few weeks

Titanic
01-05-11, 11:16 PM
Harrigan must be still carrying the Stupid League candle against Broughton. I've never seen so many decisions consistently go against one team in a season.

No, I lie ... the Grasshopper was friggin' awesome :-)

C-Whiz
02-05-11, 09:55 AM
The best thing I like about Zillman is that he is always competing at 100% and it was shown in his 2nd try, tackle...ball pops out...boom he is on it, up then away.Yep, it's the those 1% plays that define the real champions and competitors. Like the massive bounce a few weeks ago, that he had no chance of actually contesting, but by being there he gave himself the opportunity, and luck rewarded his effort. :thumbsup: