17. Luke O'Dwyer
18. Sam Tagataese

REFS
Ashley Klein and Gerard Sutton
Touch Judges: Steve Carrall and David Munro
Video Referee: Russell Smith

titansrawesome
15-04-11, 10:35 PM
eels have a abysmal record against us and they just got blown away by the dogs in the 2nd half, it seems hayne is the only one playing for them right now. hopefully a titans resurgence mauling

Titan_Blue
15-04-11, 10:35 PM
Doubtful any changes will be made to the team after a win.

Sydney Titans Fanatic
15-04-11, 10:37 PM
Jarryd hayne mite be missing in action next saturday night for his headbutt against corey payne, i think nathan hindmarsh should be alright to play after his biff with michael ennis

Boofhead
15-04-11, 11:02 PM
El Titan De Goa!

What a great opportunity we have here!

Rage
16-04-11, 12:00 AM
I love games against Parra, some of my favourite matches have been against them, I still remember the 2007 win we had against them. Like posted above, I doubt the team will change much, if at all, although I'm sure lots of people want to see Mead at fullback after seeing his awesome returns tonight.

Supergoose
16-04-11, 12:57 AM
Mead to fullback and Tomane to right wing. I kind of want to keep Zillman at 5/8 but Bird didn't play that well on the right side tonight. Maybe Zillman to right centre and Bodene to right edge with Bird back to 5/8. Capewell showed glimpses of what he can do but looks more like a half/five-eighth than a fullback. Mead, Michaels and Tomane would put us more on the front foot from kick returns I think. White was hurt tonight but maybe Meyers will be back. I hope Carty still looks to improve the side from tonight. He may not make a change but I hope Bird gets used to the right side quickly and Tomane comes in for Capewell with Mead shifting to fullback. Plenty to like about that.

titansrawesome
16-04-11, 01:24 AM
Mead to fullback and Tomane to right wing. I kind of want to keep Zillman at 5/8 but Bird didn't play that well on the right side tonight. Maybe Zillman to right centre and Bodene to right edge with Bird back to 5/8. Capewell showed glimpses of what he can do but looks more like a half/five-eighth than a fullback. Mead, Michaels and Tomane would put us more on the front foot from kick returns I think. White was hurt tonight but maybe Meyers will be back. I hope Carty still looks to improve the side from tonight. He may not make a change but I hope Bird gets used to the right side quickly and Tomane comes in for Capewell with Mead shifting to fullback. Plenty to like about that.

this guy has become the best poster on this forum agreed with everything

teke
16-04-11, 02:47 AM
I wanted Mead in at the beginning of last year and during the 09 finals when Zilly was out injured against the Eels Carty was a bees thingy away from sticking him in then.

Pacific Cup Mead tore up scoring 6 tries in 3 matches.

Fullback is a hard spot to play in...you gotta be taught positional play and YOU are exhausted without even having the ball in your hands.

DIEHARD
16-04-11, 04:24 AM
I'd love it if Hayne misses this match.

This is our chance to put Parra to the sword!

Supergoose
16-04-11, 08:06 AM
Only problem if Hayne misses is the rest of the eels will realize they get paid to play football and not just watch. Here's hoping we snap back into 80 minute football and can put 40 past them. They will be getting smashed at training after leaking 30+ the last two weeks.

karnage
16-04-11, 08:16 AM
Only problem if Hayne misses is the rest of the eels will realize they get paid to play football and not just watch. Here's hoping we snap back into 80 minute football and can put 40 past them. They will be getting smashed at training after leaking 30+ the last two weeks.

That's a fair call but you can only play as well as your ability allows - regardless of what your mindset is. They're in a bad place the Eels and for the first time in 2011 we will go in as favourites.

Any team with top 8 aspirations have to beat up on the teams travelling poorly when they get them. In a comp as tough as this one it happens rarely. On the back of that finish last night this could be just the game the likes of Prince, Zillman and Capewell need.

shamus
16-04-11, 08:46 AM
White was hurt tonight but maybe Meyers will be back.

I heard from a mate who heard from a mate who heard from a mate that Meyers is gone for the season??

Anybody know anything??

If the rumour is untrue then you can all blame Weeksy!

Tamwelg
16-04-11, 09:01 AM
Don't know about the season, but I was listening to 90.9 pre game show last night and big red was on saying he has a broken wrist.

Rage
16-04-11, 11:18 AM
I was reading the paper this morning and they mentioned that Hayne wouldn't be able to use the same reasoning he used last year to get off after headbutting Slater. I don't remember but does anyone know what the justification was for the headbutt last year that allowed him to play origin?

Ryan
16-04-11, 11:35 AM
I was reading the paper this morning and they mentioned that Hayne wouldn't be able to use the same reasoning he used last year to get off after headbutting Slater. I don't remember but does anyone know what the justification was for the headbutt last year that allowed him to play origin?
There was no justification.
The judges were instructed a pre-conceived verdict before the hearing took place. The rules were bent to allow Hayne to play Origin and give the Blues some false hope.

Rage
16-04-11, 03:49 PM
^ Ah that explains why they said he can't use the same excuse this time around :laugh:

Titanic
16-04-11, 03:58 PM
Hayne is a butt without the head. I fear for this game because as already mentioned Parra will lift without the moron. Kearney won't run their legs off because he'll rate their chances against us.

Bring it on!

karnage
16-04-11, 10:19 PM
There was no justification.
The judges were instructed a pre-conceived verdict before the hearing took place. The rules were bent to allow Hayne to play Origin and give the Blues some false hope.

That is exactly why he was let off - everyone in the world knew it but even as a massive QLD fan I was happy he was let off so that Slater could run rings around him (again).

But the real defence that they put up was that he did headbutt Slater but there was no INTENT in the action to hurt him. The resulting furore ensured that intent could no longer be used as a defence.

How ironic that the same guy who strengthened the headbutt rules should be the first to feel their brunt. I cannot remember the last person to go to the judiciary for a headbutt other than Hayne. He should get at least a month but I honestly won't care what he gets over a week.

teke
16-04-11, 11:06 PM
He should get at least a month but I honestly won't care what he gets over a week.:laugh: :D

A week will do me so he can come back the following week and help the eels beat someone of importance

Ryan
17-04-11, 09:54 AM
That is exactly why he was let off - everyone in the world knew it but even as a massive QLD fan I was happy he was let off so that Slater could run rings around him (again).

But the real defence that they put up was that he did headbutt Slater but there was no INTENT in the action to hurt him. The resulting furore ensured that intent could no longer be used as a defence.

How ironic that the same guy who strengthened the headbutt rules should be the first to feel their brunt. I cannot remember the last person to go to the judiciary for a headbutt other than Hayne. He should get at least a month but I honestly won't care what he gets over a week.

"Real defense" - you mean the excuse! :laugh:
Paul Aiton from the Sharks copped a grade 2 striking charge a few weeks ago, despite there being no direct video footage or any physical signs of "discomfort" to Joel Thompson.

Headbutt lands Aiton on striking charge
Chris Barrett
March 15, 2011
http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/headbutt-lands-aiton-on-striking-charge-20110314-1bujt.html

http://images.theage.com.au/2011/03/14/2232443/art_paul-aiton-420x0.jpg
Cronulla's Paul Aiton. Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

CRONULLA hooker Paul Aiton will not be able to use the defence that allowed Jarryd Hayne to last year escape suspension for a headbutt after the judiciary directions were amended because of the Parramatta fullback's surprise exoneration.

Aiton, 25, was one of six players charged yesterday by the NRL match-review committee following the first weekend of the season. The Sharks were last night yet to decide whether to fight a grade-two striking charge - resulting from Aiton's headbutt on Canberra centre Joel Thompson on Sunday, for which he was sent off.

Aiton's clean record means he would face only a one-match ban with an early guilty plea and miss the Sharks' derby against St George Illawarra at Toyota Stadium next Monday. If the club chooses to contest the charge at the judiciary and loses he would be suspended for two games. They would also not be able to use the case of Hayne as a precedent. The star Eel's lawyer, Geoff Bellew SC, last June had Hayne cleared to play for NSW in the second match of the State of Origin series despite video footage showing he headbutted Melbourne fullback Billy Slater in a club game the previous weekend.

Bellew argued successfully the judiciary had to be convinced that Hayne, charged with a grade-one offence, intended to cause Slater significant pain or injury. The panel agreed with Bellew, through its verdict, that the contact to Slater's head was not of an excessive nature.

Because of the Hayne case, the judiciary directions were reworded by Martin Burns SC, who penned the code of conduct when the NRL competition began in 1998. The amended advice to panel members is that a player charged with headbutting need only be shown to have caused discomfort to be found guilty.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/headbutt-lands-aiton-on-striking-charge-20110314-1bujt.html#ixzz1JjWxNohe

TITAN PETE
17-04-11, 10:09 AM
I won't mind if we don't get to see the Plane/train or whatever they want to call the Human Headbut run out against us next week :thumbsup:

Ryan
17-04-11, 10:20 AM
I won't mind if we don't get to see the Plane/train or whatever they want to call the Human Headbut run out against us next week :thumbsup:
You mean the Human butthead

TitansFan2020
17-04-11, 10:24 AM

hahaha

Rage
17-04-11, 10:56 AM
^ haha, reading the paper and it's speculated he'll be suspended for 2 weeks. However, they did have a quote from Hayne saying what he did last year was worse and how he got off that one.. :doh:

Mushi
17-04-11, 12:51 PM

:thumbsup: :D :rolf:

Surfers6
18-04-11, 09:28 AM
Mead to fullback this week, he played excellent which opens the door for tomane on the wing.

Surfers6
18-04-11, 10:28 AM
I would like to see.

1 Mead
2 Michaels
3 Tonga
4 Thompson
5 Tomane
6 Zillman
7 Prince
8 Bailey
9 Friend
10 White
11 Mini
12 Bird
13 Harrison

14 James
15 Tagataese
16 Ridge
17 ODwyer

Boofhead
18-04-11, 01:56 PM
I would like to see.

1 Mead
2 Michaels
3 Tonga
4 Thompson
5 Tomane
6 Zillman
7 Prince
8 Bailey
9 Friend
10 White
11 Mini
12 Bird
13 Harrison

14 James
15 Tagataese
16 Ridge
17 ODwyer

Agree... but I would have Hendo in the side rather than Taga.

Hendo will come good...!

Supergoose
18-04-11, 02:11 PM
I reckon Taga needs to reinvent himself as a prop. His speed and impact would be great and it would get his involvement up. Hendo is the man if Taga isn't playing front row.

Boofhead
18-04-11, 02:15 PM
I reckon Taga needs to reinvent himself as a prop. His speed and impact would be great and it would get his involvement up. Hendo is the man if Taga isn't playing front row.

Wherever Taga plays, he needs to increase his work rate. If he does he would be the first choice bench man easily.

Boofhead
18-04-11, 03:12 PM
Hayne given two weeks.

More to come.

Boofhead
18-04-11, 03:14 PM
Payne, Hayne and four others charged
Andrew Bryan NRL | Mon, Apr 18, 2011

Jarryd Hayne is facing two weeks on the sideline

For more...

http://forum.titans.com.au/showpost.php?p=280403&postcount=1

Rage
18-04-11, 08:42 PM
By Steve Jancetic AAP Mon, Apr 18, 2011 - 6:30 PM

Hayne was on Monday charged with a grade two striking charge for a headbutt on Canterbury forward Corey Payne, a charge which carries a two-game suspension with an early guilty plea or an unsuccessful trip to the judiciary.

The Eels have engaged the services of Geoff Bellew - who helped Hayne escape a headbutt charge on Melbourne rival Billy Slater last year - with a decision on a plea to be made on Tuesday.

Hayne could have escaped a one game ban with an early guilty plea had he not attracted loading from an offence in late 2009, when he attacked Bulldogs winger Bryson Goodwin with his knees in the preliminary final.

At the time Hayne took an early guilty plea to ensure his availability for the 2009 grand final, but it now threatens to double his suspension.

Losing Hayne - who was at his brilliant best in the 26 minutes leading up to the incident - is the last thing the Eels need, having won just two of their opening six matches.

A two-game ban would also leave Hayne with no more opportunities to impress Test selectors ahead of the naming of the Australian side to meet New Zealand in the May 6 clash on the Gold Coast.

Bellew was poring over video footage of the incident on Monday, with challenging for a downgrade Hayne's most likely avenue for appeal.

"I can't say what we'll do at this stage," Osborne said.

"I spoke to (Bellew) yesterday but he's only having a look at it now."

There is little doubt the Eels will use provocation as a defence, with Payne slapped with a grade three careless high tackle charge over the high shot which instigated the altercation.

Referees boss Bill Harrigan denied whistleblowers had gone soft on headbutts, with Ashley Klein and Gerard Sutton criticised for their decision not to march Hayne.

Asked if a headbutt was still a send off offence, Harrigan said:

"Yes it is."

Asked then why Hayne had not been sent off, Harrigan said he was not allowed to comment on the incident because the case remained before the judiciary.

Hayne and Payne were two of six players to be charged from the weekend's round, but Wests Tigers lock Chris Heighington is the only one facing suspension with an early guilty plea.

Heighington copped a grade two high tackle charge for his high shot which left Gold Coast backrower Greg Bird bloodied.

The Tigers, already minus a host of players through injury, can ill-afford to be without Heighington ahead of Friday night's meeting with high-flying Brisbane at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Canberra's Josh McCrone was charged over his bump on referee Steve Lyons, but will avoid suspension with an early plea.

The same applies to Newcastle's Steve Southern, who was charged over a dangerous throw on Cronulla fullback Nathan Gardner, while Sharks skipper Paul Gallen can also escape a ban after finding himself in strife for leading with his forearm.

DIEHARD
18-04-11, 09:05 PM
Hayne getting suspended, that'll be some luck our way for a change.

Rage
18-04-11, 09:16 PM
Hopefully, but then again the Eels might lift in the absence of their best player. Just like how some of our greatest wins were without Prince and others, e.g. Melbourne

Boofhead
18-04-11, 09:30 PM
We should get away with the win here, without being to convincing as per usual.

10 - 18.

karnage
19-04-11, 10:16 AM
"Parramatta tipped to defend Jarryd Hayne's charge for headbutting Corey Payne at NRL judiciary"

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/parramatta-tipped-to-defend-jarryd-haynes-charge-for-headbutting-corey-payne-at-nrl-judiciary/story-fn2mcuj6-1226041348198

I can see where this is going...:nope:

Boofhead
19-04-11, 11:14 AM
What a grub. There is no way he will get out of this one.

Tamwelg
19-04-11, 11:46 AM
Via Twitter:

@NRLNEWS NRL News
RR: After deliberation with Geoff Bellew and Osborne, Jarryd Hayne has taken the early guilty plea for head-butting and will miss 2 games.

DIEHARD
19-04-11, 12:05 PM
Hayne takes the early guilty plea. You beauty!

TITAN PETE
19-04-11, 12:57 PM
Half price tickets for Eels v Titans at midday!

NRL.com Tue, Apr 19, 2011 - 11:48 AM

The Parramatta Eels are back at Parramatta Stadium this Sunday afternoon, and are calling upon all Eels fans to help fill the Stadium with Blue and Gold to help lift their team!

To help make it easier for all their fans to get down to the ground, as a special offer from midday today until 1:20pm, all tickets to all categories within the ground are half price!

That means it is as cheap as $11 for an adult, or $7.50 for a concession to attend Sunday?s important match against the Gold Coast Titans.

This offer is for today only and only for the 80 minute time period.

You can secure your half price tickets either online at www.ticketek.com.au, at any Ticketek agency or on the phone at 132 849.

Get behind your Titans and help fill the Stadium!

Titan_Blue
19-04-11, 01:10 PM
Team up on the website:

1. Capewell
2. Michaels
3. Tonga
4. Thompson
5. Mead
6. Zillman
7. Prince
8. Bailey
9. Friend
10. White
11. Bird
12. Minichiello
13. Harrison

14. Henderson
15. James
16. Ridge
17. O'Dwyer

Again, basically no changes.

curly_11
19-04-11, 01:17 PM
The team is starting to stablise and our defence improving as is our attack so there in no need for changes really.

Liking the fact that James and Ridge are getting game time

titansrawesome
19-04-11, 01:32 PM
Team up on the website:

1. Capewell
2. Michaels
3. Tonga
4. Thompson
5. Mead
6. Zillman
7. Prince
8. Bailey
9. Friend
10. White
11. Bird
12. Minichiello
13. Harrison

14. Henderson
15. James
16. Ridge
17. O'Dwyer

Again, basically no changes.

fooking hell cartwright put tomane in already virtually everyone wants him in there and mead at fullback:mad:

TITAN PETE
19-04-11, 01:36 PM
fooking hell cartwright put tomane in already virtually everyone wants him in there and mead at fullback:mad:

I don't see the need to change anything as much as i'd like to see Tomane get a run :nope:

Have faith in your coach , a lot of people were screaming for Prince to be dropped last week & he made them all look like a Goose :rolleyes:

titansrawesome
19-04-11, 01:40 PM
I don't see the need to change anything as much as i'd like to see Tomane get a run :nope:

Have faith in your coach , a lot of people were screaming for Prince to be dropped last week & he made them all look like a Goose :rolleyes:

i just like to see someone like tomane get a run because he is top tryscorer in qld cup and he was still beastly in attack for us last year, and capewell is going ok but i think we should give tomane a run against a team thats crumbling. we'll obviously still win but i do think tomane should be in that side on the wing and mead again excelling at fullback.

Surfers6
19-04-11, 01:49 PM

A goose, is Prince back is he?

Like i have said the 1st 20 minutes was as disgusting as it gets with Prince being the main culprit. He took on the line once and now he's the best again.
I dont think so, but it is an improvement.

why is Capewell fullback but Mead is taking all the kick returns?
its a waste, i cant see capewell doing much other than supporting the play on the 4th/5th which i beleive Mead could do even better.

TITAN PETE
19-04-11, 02:38 PM
A goose, is Prince back is he?

Like i have said the 1st 20 minutes was as disgusting as it gets with Prince being the main culprit. He took on the line once and now he's the best again.
I dont think so, but it is an improvement.

why is Capewell fullback but Mead is taking all the kick returns?
its a waste, i cant see capewell doing much other than supporting the play on the 4th/5th which i beleive Mead could do even better.

Would u have liked him to play 80 like that :surprise: , the light switch was thrown back on for Prince , probably from one of the many head knocks he received & i for 1 am happy he's back ... even if it was only for 60 minutes :rolleyes:

titansrawesome
19-04-11, 02:46 PM
Would u have liked him to play 80 like that :surprise: , the light switch was thrown back on for Prince , probably from one of the many head knocks he received & i for 1 am happy he's back ... even if it was only for 60 minutes :rolleyes:

i dont give a sh ite how they played then as long as its gone and prince is back, i wanna see the 07-09 prince back, he was the best hb by far in that period

TITAN PETE
19-04-11, 02:48 PM
Cartwright names unchanged Titans side

Laine Clark AAP Tue, Apr 19, 2011 - 2:33 PM

If Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright was relieved his rebuilding NRL side would not have to combat Eels X-factor Jarryd Hayne this weekend, he hid it well on Tuesday.

In the coach's box at games, Cartwright wears his heart on his sleeve.

But he did his best poker face when asked about Hayne missing Sunday's clash at Parramatta Stadium after the Eels No.1 was this week slapped with a two-match ban for headbutting.

Indeed Cartwright was not taking anything for granted after his Titans (2-4 record) revived their season with a come from behind last round win over Wests Tigers.

"We won't even mention that," Cartwright said of Hayne's suspension.

"Obviously they are dangerous with him there.

"But whoever is in there is going to want to keep their spot and hungry players generally win games for you.

"Whoever goes in there is going to be hungry."

And Cartwright was not breathing any easier after skipper Scott Prince sparked their remarkable last start victory at Skilled Park.

The stage is set for a Titans recovery with their next two games against Parramatta and the besieged Sydney Roosters (both 2-4 record).

But Cartwright said lessons learned from their 2011 drought-breaking win in Canberra in round four ensured they would keep their feet on the ground.

"You definitely feel a lot different early in the week (after a win) but you can't fall into the trap of feeling relieved - it takes your focus away," he said.

"We might have fallen into that trap after our poor start and then got away with a win against the Raiders.

"There was a sigh of relief (after the Canberra game).

"We can't afford to do that now.

"We have two very winnable games in the next two weeks and if we do we will be in much better shape."

Cartwright had the luxury of naming an unchanged side on Tuesday for the round seven clash with the Eels.

Interchange forward Sam Tagataese was included on a five-man bench after missing last weekend's game.

Meanwhile, the Eels clash will mark Titans warhorse Luke Bailey's 200th match.

Titans: Luke Capewell, Steve Michaels, Esi Tonga, Bodene Thompson, David Mead, William Zillman, Scott Prince (c), Luke Bailey, Nathan Friend, Matt White, Greg Bird, Mark Minichiello, Ashley Harrison. Interchange: Michael Henderson, Ryan James, Ben Ridge, Luke O'Dwyer, Sam Tagataese.

Rage
19-04-11, 04:40 PM
Damn, I really would have liked to see Mead at fullback, but I'm guessing he'll still field most of the kick returns anyway.

Surfers6
19-04-11, 04:48 PM
Damn, I really would have liked to see Mead at fullback, but I'm guessing he'll still field most of the kick returns anyway.

Yeah i dont get it, he will feild most of the kick returns but defend on the wing.
He must be moving off his wing early and I hope no team exploits that by running through his side on the last.
I also know that i would prefer Mead in the last line if it is going to be a 1 on 1trysaver.

See how we go then.

Supergoose
19-04-11, 06:14 PM
With Zillman still developing at five-eighth we need a fullback who can kick and pass well. I'm keen for Mead to get a run there but with Zillman settling in I think we need Capewell's full ****nal of skills from the back.

patskE
19-04-11, 07:35 PM
only way capewell will get dropped is if he get injuryed... sigh :(

Rage
19-04-11, 08:12 PM
Hayne on Tuesday accepted the early guilty plea and two-week ban for his headbutt on Canterbury forward Corey Payne, the NSW Origin and Test star to miss crucial matches against Gold Coast and premiers St George Illawarra.

The Eels said the risk of burdening Hayne with carry-over points had he unsuccessfully challenged the charge was too great.

"We just didn't feel there was any grounds (on which to challenge) the charge," Eels chief executive Paul Osborne said.

"We didn't want to waste anyone's time.

"You've still got to carry over 70 points if you lose - it's a deterrent."

Hayne's unavailability is a massive blow to a blue and gold outfit needing to turn its season around in a hurry if it is to stay in touch with the finals contenders.

The Eels have won only two matches in 2011, and their last win without Hayne in the side was in June 2008 - when the former international footballer of the year was still flittering between centre and wing.

Since then the Eels have gone none from four without Hayne, with hooker Casey McGuire adamant Sunday's game against the Titans was an opportunity to prove Parramatta was no one-man team.

"I don't think we rely on him too much," McGuire said.

"Jarryd does do a lot - he is obviously the star of the team - but we've got guys who can step up and contribute to a win.

"We're probably getting desperate (for a win) pretty soon ... if we start playing for the 80 minutes, the wins will come."

Payne accepted the early guilty plea to a one week ban for the high tackle which provoked Hayne, and will miss Saturday night's clash against South Sydney on Saturday night.

Wests Tigers will contest the grading of Chris Heighington's high tackle charge on Wednesday night in a bid to avoid suspension, the Tigers lock the first player to appear before the NRL judiciary this season.

Canberra pivot Josh McCrone, Newcastle forward Steve Southern and Cronulla skipper Paul Gallen all escaped suspension after entering early guilty pleas.

South Sydney backrower Michael Crocker has until midday Wednesday to make a plea after he was charged with a grade one dangerous throw on St George Illawarra winger Jason Nightingale in the Dragons' 16-0 win on Monday night.

Crocker will be free to tackle the Bulldogs this weekend if he accepts the early plea.

karnage
19-04-11, 09:40 PM
Good to see the grub took his medicine.

I'm happy with the team. If those guys can rally back from 14 down to beat the Tigers they will get the job done against the Eels - my most hated team!!!:fight:

teke
20-04-11, 01:03 AM
With Zillman still developing at five-eighth we need a fullback who can kick and pass well. I'm keen for Mead to get a run there but with Zillman settling in I think we need Capewell's full ****nal of skills from the back.Totally agree, Mead can do his kamikazi runs at full explosiveness and not have to be worried about running himself to exhaustion. Fullbacks run all day so I would much rather Capes doing it than Mead.

Anyone mentioned Mead v Jordan Atkins ;) They are goods mates and should be fun to watch. Im predicting a few line breaks from Michaels and Mead this weekend from the lazy Parra chasers.

DIEHARD
20-04-11, 03:30 AM
Eels rank outsiders after Hayne ban

WANNA know how far the Eels have sunk since that Jarryd Hayne brain explosion?

"Mate, we've taken more money on Gold Coast winning the AFL premiership," TAB spokesman Glenn Munsie said last night. "And they're currently at odds of 1000/1."

While they started 2011 among the NRL competition favourites, the Eels are now rank outsiders following the two-week suspension to superstar fullback Jarryd Hayne.

Parramatta's poster boy took an early guilty plea after being charged with a grade two striking offence following a headbutt on Bulldog Corey Payne in last Friday night's heated clash at ANZ Stadium.

Hayne wasn't speaking last night but Eels chief executive Paul Osborne said the club had decided to plead guilty following the advice of leading Sydney lawyer Geoff Bellew SC.

While Hayne last year contested, and beat, an identical striking charge following an incident with Melbourne rival Billy Slater, the wording of the infringement has been changed.

Last year it had to be proved that Hayne had shown intent to inflict pain or injury.

However, judiciary chairman judge Paul Conlon had the ruling reworded into its present form - which now makes striking an "absolute" offence with no requirement to prove any "specific intention".

The Eels have only won two of their opening six games and sit second last on the ladder. Yet Osborne last night laughed off suggestions that his club may penalise Hayne for a moment of madness that yesterday pushed his team out to a staggering $67 in premiership betting.

"We're disappointed but we'll cop this one on the chin and move forward," he said.

Asked if his club would consider punishing the fullback, Osborne said: "No. Everyone here is simply concentrating on our game this Sunday afternoon."After two rounds the Eels were as short as $15 to win the premiership. Yet without their star attacking weapon the money has dried up for the Eels in their match against the Gold Coast at home on Sunday.

"We've taken $38 over two days for the Eels to win the premiership," Munsie said. "To put that in some perspective, we've taken $50 on the Suns to do the same thing in the AFL.

"The Eels remain our worst way. They're the most heavily backed team behind St George and Melbourne. But unless they can find someone to step up over the next couple of weeks ... they could be in for a long season."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au

TITAN PETE
20-04-11, 10:01 AM
Jake Dew | April 20th, 2011

LUKE O'Dwyer admits the challenge of cracking a permanent spot in the Titans' top 17 was providing his motivation after earning another opportunity against former club Parramatta on Sunday.

Plagued by injury through the past two seasons, O'Dwyer again battled the personal demons before a ball was kicked in 2011 after cracking his rib cartilage in the pre-season victory over the Rabbitohs.

Having walked the long road back to the top after tearing his ACL late in the Titans' 2009 campaign, the 28-year-old had been impressive over the past two rounds, including his 31-minute stint in last weekend's win over the Tigers.

And with the trip south to face the Eels, the club he spent three seasons with before joining the Titans, the Tweed Seagulls junior was raring to go after revealing his confidence had been fully restored after a frustrating 18 months where he felt confined to the rehabilitation group.

"With the knee, they're a long process, and while you come back and play after eight months, you're not back to your best," he said.

"It's one of those things where you get your power and speed back but it's also the confidence you have to get back as well."

Forming a close bond with Titans rehabilitation coach Ron Palmer last season, O'Dwyer hopes the only time they speak this season is when the fitness guru hands him a water bottle on the field.

Coach John Cartwright hopes it's the case as well.

One of a long list of Titans -- including Michael Henderson, Ben Ridge, Nathan Friend, David Mead, Esi Tonga and William Zillman -- to have come back from serious injury, Cartwright was impressed by O'Dwyer's application.

"We have a few guys in that boat," Cartwright said in reference to returning from serious injury.

"(Luke) had a horrendous injury there not last year, the year before, and it probably took him most of last year to get over it.

"But he's had another off-season and had his chance the other night and took it."

DIEHARD
20-04-11, 11:53 PM
Eels v Titans preview
Parramatta Stadium Sunday 3pm

Could things get any worse for the Parramatta Eels? Coming off their worst loss in five years down in Melbourne, the Eels were hoping to turn their fortunes around against traditional rivals the Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium last week.

And for 25 minutes the script was panning out perfectly, with Jarryd Hayne twice dancing through the Bulldogs? line. At 14-0 the blue-and-gold faithful were dreaming of a return to the heady days of late 2009, back when Hayne could do no wrong.

But one brain snap later Hayne found himself in the sin bin, and when Nathan Hindmarsh then allowed Bulldogs hooker Michael Ennis to bait him into throwing a punch, it was down to eleven-a-side footy; with the Eels? two most important players on the sidelines, the blue-and-whites ran in four tries in 11 minutes and the match was as good as over.

The fallout from Hayne?s headbutt on Bulldog Corey Payne in response to a swinging arm continued long into this week. After finally looking like his old self, having started the year slowly, Hayne now finds himself cooling his heels for two weeks, after electing to take the early guilty plea.

The Titans, on the other hand, managed to reverse their 14-0 deficit in a gritty come-from-behind win over the injury-hit Tigers, running out 20-14 winners in a match where halfback Scott Prince made a welcome return to form. The Titans have now won two of their past three after a disastrous start to the year and will be desperate to continue their crawl up from the bottom of the ladder.

As a result of their recent improved form John Cartwright has gone in with an unchanged 17 for this road trip to Western Sydney, with William Zillman continuing in his new role as Titans five-eighth. Prop Matt White has again been named to start, although Michael Henderson actually started in his place last week and could do so again. Sam Tagataese joins a five-man bench.

For the Eels, Luke Burt drops back to fullback in place of Hayne, a position he has filled for the club plenty of times in the past ? he was first-choice fullback for much of the two seasons prior to Hayne staking his claim on the spot. Jordan Atkins plays his second game for the Eels, taking Burt?s place on the wing. Although his previous match this season was in the 38-0 drubbing down in Melbourne, the former Titan looked impressive as he calmly dealt with a barrage of high balls.

Carl Webb has been added to an extended bench and could potentially push Billy Rogers or Mitchell Allgood out of the 17.

Two old-stagers rack up milestones in this game: Nathan Hindmarsh plays his 290th match and joins Darren Smith as the 16th most-capped player in league history; and Luke Bailey plays his 200th NRL game.

Watch Out Eels: The Titans? forwards are currently gaining more metres than any other starting pack, with 529 per game. They are lead by Luke Bailey (141 metres per game) although Greg Bird (125 metres per game) and Ashley Harrison (109 metres per game) are also getting through plenty of work.

They made 372 metres more than the Tigers last week, and these three all ran for more than 100 metres whereas no Tigers forward crossed the 100-metre mark. Having your forwards rolling through the middle of the park creates time and space for the playmakers and Scott Prince in particular enjoyed the extra room to move, running the ball 12 times (double his season average prior to that game) with one line-break leading to a try, as well as kicking through for Zillman to score.

Danger Sign: Scott Prince looks to have been hampered by injury at times this year, but when you add his running game to his passing and kicking, he becomes the complete package. When he shows the confidence to take on the line it means the Eels? defence now has all three options to worry about.

Watch Out Titans: It could be back to the drawing board here, and there?s no Jarryd Hayne there to create complacency amongst the rest of the team. When the Eels are struggling the mentality seems to be to just give the ball to Hayne and see what he can come up with. With him gone the onus is now on the likes of Daniel Mortimer, Jeff Robson and Casey McGuire to create the plays and take the kicks ? and all are more than capable.

The Titans are the worst team in the league this year at defusing kicks, negotiating just 58 per cent or 19 of 33 kicks sent their way. In particular grubber kicks (7 out of 12 defused) chip kicks (3 out of 7) and cross-field bombs (2 out of 5) have caused the Titans? backs some issues. The Eels? kickers will need to exploit this if they want to get back to winning ways.

Danger Sign: It?s time for Mortimer to step up. The young half possesses the full array of kicks, and with Hayne gone he knows he needs to use them. Watch for him to probe the Gold Coast defence with grubbers and cross-field bombs when the Eels are in range.

Plays To Watch: Running, fending and offloading from Greg Bird; Luke Burt refusing to give up on any kick-chase; bustling runs and big hits from Ryan James; increased responsibility and more kicking from Daniel Mortimer; and a tackle-fest between Hindmarsh, whose 10,278 tackles are the most in league history, and Nathan Friend, who has made 3982 tackles for the Titans making him easily the club?s leading tackler. He is sure to pass 4000 in this match given he averages 46 tackles from his two matches at Parramatta.

Where It Will Be Won: Creativity. The Eels will have to come up with some answers for the absence of go-to man Jarryd Hayne, and the likes of Mortimer and Robson will have to find the right options close to the line to build pressure and force points, and distribute quality ball out wide to the likes of Atkins and Jacob Loko.

The Titans will be relieved that gifted half Scott Prince looks like returning to his best form, but with young Luke Capewell now at fullback in Preston Campbell?s absence and Williams Zillman still settling into his role as a running five-eighth, there will be a huge responsibility on Prince to run the show.

The History: Played 5, Titans 4, Eels 1. The only time the Eels have beaten the Titans was in the 2009 finals during that golden run to the grand final. The Titans have won on their sole visit to Parramatta Stadium, and in five matches between these two clubs so far the average winning margin is 17.4 ? so don?t necessarily count on this being close

Conclusion: Both these teams are languishing at the foot of the ladder, with two wins from six starts, but only one of them currently looks like dragging themselves higher. The Eels aren?t out of this by any stretch but there is little home ground advantage on offer here and the Titans look more likely.

Match Officials: Referees ? Ashley Klein & Gerard Sutton; Sideline Officials ? Steve Carrall & David Munro; Video Ref ? Russell Smith.

Televised: Channel Nine ? Delayed 4pm; Fox Sports ? Delayed 6pm.

* Statistics: NRL Stats.

Source: http://www.nrl.com

DIEHARD
21-04-11, 12:02 AM
Played 5, Titans 4, Eels 1.

Nice. Unfortunately that 1 comes when we needed a win, Finals 2009.

Pay back time!

teke
21-04-11, 01:19 AM
Eel Walker calls on Prince to lift
Ben Horne | Wed Apr 20 2011

Parramatta veteran Chris Walker says Scott Prince has been "wearing his dinner suit" for most of this season and challenged the Gold Coast halfback to get his hands dirty when the desperate NRL sides meet on Easter Sunday.

Walker is a former team-mate of Prince at the Titans and although he won't play for the Eels against his old side this week, he was happy to add some spice to the clash by indicating the crafty No.7 only started rolling his sleeves up last week.

Prince has had a quiet start to 2011, but came to life in the clutch last Friday to secure the Titans a much needed victory over Wests Tigers.

Walker encouraged the Queensland and Australian playmaker to "fire up" at Parramatta Stadium.

"He's had his dinner suit on for the last five weeks and he decided to take it off and play last week and we all saw what he could do," said Walker.

"I think if Princey decides to play and fire up, that's mainly where they're going to come from in their attack."

The Gold Coast should travel to Sydney full of bravado following their last-start victory, while the Eels will need to overcome the loss of superstar Jarryd Hayne.

But Walker speculated the Titans run the risk of being too confident and urged his Parramatta club-mates to take advantage.

"That's something we can work to our advantage, they might come in too ****y, so it'll be a good game," said Walker.

"He'll (Prince) get a lot of confidence out of what he did last week for the team, especially with the way they won and the fashion they won and they'll keep their tails up."

Parramatta halfback Daniel Mortimer says Prince was always going to turn indifferent form around.

Mortimer challenged himself to rise to the Titans general's level on Sunday, as he strives to be the impetus behind his own team turning things around.

"He's a great and it's exciting coming up against the best halves in the competition and Princey is definitely one of them," he said.

"We have been working hard the last few weeks and it's only a matter of time before it comes around for us.

"Princey's a player where he might have a few ordinary games but he's that type of player - you know he's quality and he's going to come back to his best shortly and we have to watch that this weekend."

AAP

Rage
21-04-11, 05:15 PM
Really looking forward to this game, definitely need revenge for the one win that the Eels dealt us in the finals. Besides that I think the Titans always lift against the Eels, our 4-1 record isn't luck!

Coaster
21-04-11, 05:27 PM
Lol who is walker going for, sounds like us

Titanic
21-04-11, 09:34 PM
We could use him at right centre now.

TITAN PETE
21-04-11, 09:37 PM
We could use him at right centre now.

In place of Who ?
He wouldn't get a run in our side :nope:

Titanic
21-04-11, 09:40 PM
I rate him over Thompson as a back. I like Thompson but not as a strike centre. Tomane would be fine too.

teke
22-04-11, 12:27 AM
Chris Walker has been the clubs best right centre imo.

Titan Dad
22-04-11, 09:15 AM
In place of Who ?
He wouldn't get a run in our side :nope:

Totally agree with you Titan Pete. Walker would not get a run in our current side. The centres we have in this side would churn him out like and eel through a mincer. It wouldn't be pretty for Walker. Titans to win this game up the middle with the superior forward speed. Look for Mini and Hindmarsh to have a fantastic duel. Mini for 2 tries.:banana:

C-Whiz
22-04-11, 03:41 PM
this guy has become the best poster on this forum agreed with everythingSounds like an awesome benchmark from which to judge... :nope:

C-Whiz
22-04-11, 03:42 PM
For all those who keep banging on about "Mead should be full back, he hit the ball up like a fullback last week" etc, etc, bleet, bleet.... why not just let him hit it up again like he did last week, if we all agree he did such a fantastic job? Why this obsessive need to change positions every week?

If it worked last week, and better than it has so far this season, just let it mellow and see if it gets better! :thumbsup:

Supergoose
22-04-11, 03:58 PM
Because we didn't get that punch from all of the back three. I think the consensus is that withMead at fullback it allows Tomane onto the wing meaning we have 3 excellent options for bringing the ball back with interest from kicks. Capewell is a ball player and support player but not necessarily a strong ball runner. People are keen to see Tomane our strongest ball runner back in the side and this is one way to accommodate him. Rumour has it he is going back to Melbourne so of that happens he won't bother the first grade side again. Capewell is going to be good for us but he hasn't been returning the football like we know Mead, Michaels and Tomane can. So important to get good starts to sets.

titansrawesome
22-04-11, 04:06 PM
Because we didn't get that punch from all of the back three. I think the consensus is that withMead at fullback it allows Tomane onto the wing meaning we have 3 excellent options for bringing the ball back with interest from kicks. Capewell is a ball player and support player but not necessarily a strong ball runner. People are keen to see Tomane our strongest ball runner back in the side and this is one way to accommodate him. Rumour has it he is going back to Melbourne so of that happens he won't bother the first grade side again. Capewell is going to be good for us but he hasn't been returning the football like we know Mead, Michaels and Tomane can. So important to get good starts to sets.

this again. tomane,michaels mead the back 3 is a good combo

C-Whiz
22-04-11, 05:44 PM
IMO you can't just keep changing players because they do one thing better than someone else. Should Bull play FB? He runs the ball pretty hard? I say let the team gel, learn to play together and try and keep some stability.

At some point you want the team to learn to play as a team, not as individuals who can do "their thing".

Capewell is meant to be our 5/8, not our FB. That was my understanding. Same as Zillman is meant to be our FB, not our 5/8, etc....

Titanic
22-04-11, 10:57 PM
I sort of agree with you Whiz, certainly about stability and Mead but Zillman is a half converted to a FB and I have wanted him at 6 for ages. It would be a shame if Tomane goes because he can kick goals as well as play right centre.

C-Whiz
23-04-11, 06:37 AM
I sort of agree with you Whiz, certainly about stability and Mead but Zillman is a half converted to a FB and I have wanted him at 6 for ages. It would be a shame if Tomane goes because he can kick goals as well as play right centre.Zilly got caught in a tough spot for a long time, when we had Presto and Rogers fit and owning FB and 5/8. I think he spent a fair bit of time keeping the bench warm. And he has shown great promise as a 5/8 when he's had a run. Probably out of all the rotations, his to the dubious 5/8 spot would be one of the most constructive, but Presto should be back soon, so I guess it depends how he's looking for game time/fitness and where Carty wants to slot him???

DIEHARD
23-04-11, 07:15 AM
Parramatta Eels v Gold Coast Titans
Parramatta Stadium, Sunday 3pm (AEST)

Last meeting: Titans 34-12 at Skilled Park (rd 22, 2010)
Stats: Head-to-head
Referees: Ashley Klein, Gerard Sutton
TV: Delay, Channel 9 (4pm)
TAB Sportsbet: Eels $2.25, Titans $1.65
FootyTab: Titans +2.5

Greg Prichard writes: The loss of the suspended Jarryd Hayne is a massive blow to the Eels. It is enough for the bookmakers to have the Titans as favourites here, even though the Eels are playing at home and both teams have win-loss records of 2-4. Luke Burt, switched from the wing, will do a solid job at fullback in place of Hayne, but Hayne is an attacking dynamo when he is on his game. The Eels have found it hard to score points this season even with Hayne in their side. Without him, things could really dry up.

The Titans are barely hanging in there. They opened the season with three straight losses, during which they scored an average of just 12 points per game, and although they have since won two out of three, the jury is still out on whether they will prove to be a significant force this season. They only just managed to force extra time against the Raiders before winning with a field goal, and then they won with a late try in normal time against the Tigers. Still, that form is certainly good enough to put them in with a big chance in this one.

EELS: Luke Burt, Etu Uaisele, Joel Reddy, Jacob Loko, Jordan Atkins, Daniel Mortimer, Jeff Robson, Tim Mannah, Casey McGuire, Fuifui Moimoi, Nathan Hindmarsh (capt), Taniela Lasalo, Justin Horo. Interchange: Billy Rogers, Shane Shackleton, Mitchell Allgood, Carl Webb, Ben Smith (one to be omitted).

TITANS: Luke Capewell, Steve Michaels, Esikeli Tonga, Bodene Thompson, David Mead, William Zillman, Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Nathan Friend, Matthew White, Greg Bird, Mark Minichiello, Ashley Harrison. Interchange: Michael Henderson, Ryan James, Ben Ridge, Luke O'Dwyer, Sam Tagataese (one to be omitted).

http://www.smh.com.au/

bigjim
23-04-11, 01:20 PM
I'm worried about this game. Remember, it is in enemy territory.

If we prance into this game with any thoughts of a cake walk then we will be wearing the cake.

Good defence, arm wrestle for a while then cut loose.

C-Whiz
23-04-11, 01:50 PM
I'm worried about this game. Remember, it is in enemy territory.That's how I feel too. When the Hayne-Pain is playing, you know who to watch out for, have an idea of the game plan etc, but now you don't know who is gonna step up and be "the man". Hindy will be looking for a big one too, so that's concerning alone. If you haven't got him in your fantasy football team this weekend, you'll be missing out on some valuable points IMO.

Id rather be playing an Eels side without the Hayne-Pain, but I do wonder what the Titans can expect this Sunday.

teke
23-04-11, 01:53 PM
That's how I feel too. When the Hayne-Pain is playing, you know who to watch out for, have an idea of the game plan etc, but now you don't know who is gonna step up and be "the man". Hindy will be looking for a big one too, so that's concerning alone. If you haven't got him in your fantasy football team this weekend, you'll be missing out on some valuable points IMO.

Id rather be playing an Eels side without the Hayne-Pain, but I do wonder what the Titans can expect this Sunday.Titans are not worrying about anything except getting their own game in order. I predict they will thoroughly win every aspect of this game

hammer
23-04-11, 02:01 PM
I think the Eels will be more worried about which Titans side will turn up to play...we need to develop some consistency!

DIEHARD
23-04-11, 06:44 PM
I'm nearly dying here. Waiting for my Gold Coast Titans fix.

TITAN PETE
23-04-11, 08:21 PM
I'm nearly dying here. Waiting for my Gold Coast Titans fix.

The worst part is waiting till 4pm & staying away from Forums & Phones till the nine replay has been watched :surprise:

Boofhead
23-04-11, 08:25 PM
... or find a live stream.

*cough*

TITAN PETE
23-04-11, 08:27 PM
... or find a live stream.

*cough*

Can't watch that on the 60' LED :rolleyes:

DIEHARD
24-04-11, 08:10 AM
Mannah 'buzzed' by Bailey encounter

IMPRESSIVE Parramatta prop Tim Mannah says playing against Gold Coast Titans' pack leader Luke Bailey in 'Bull's' 200th game tomorrow is a 'thrill and a buzz'.

"He's in the best form I've seen him in for a long time," Mannah said.

"I've got a lot of respect for Bailey, he's been around since I was a kid ... I remember looking up to him for a long time.

''I still get a bit of a thrill and a buzz when I play against players like him who I looked up to as a kid, and it will be no different when I play this week."

Mannah urged his teammates not to settle for mediocrity as they look to get their NRL season back on track against the Titans.

After an indifferent start to the season that has seen them win just twice in the first six rounds, the Eels have a chance to turn their season around with a victory against a Titans outfit that has also taken time to get going in 2011.

The Eels could drop to last place by the end of the round with a loss, and a Canberra victory over Newcastle, and Mannah insists the time to start turning hard work into results has to come soon.

"As a playing group we've got a group that is really committed to the cause and we don't want to settle for mediocrity," Mannah said.

"So we're going to make sure we get past these hiccups and get our confidence back and move forward. It's important that we don't let these last few weeks stop us from getting where we want to be at the end of the year."

But they'll have to do it without star fullback Jarryd Hayne, who is sidelined for the next two weeks after being suspended for a headbutt on Bulldogs' forward Corey Payne.

Mannah believes the Eels have been spoiled by Hayne's presence for so long, and his absence could bring out the best in some teammates.

"I hope (we step up across the board)," he admitted.

"As a group I think it's going to be good for us to mature a bit. I think we've been spoiled having Jarryd at the back ... and we've looked to him a lot when things get tough and put a lot of pressure on him.

"It's going to be good for us to understand now that he's not going to be there on the field and ... just try to force other people to put their hand up and want to be the person that steps up."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/

DIEHARD
24-04-11, 11:55 AM
Looking forward to seeing Jordan Atkins vs his former club... US!

I also hope that William Zillman continues to thrive at 6. I really want to see him make it his own.

Looks like the weather has cleared up a bit out Parra way as well.

DIEHARD
24-04-11, 11:59 AM
GAME DAY info Eels V Titans

EELS EASTER GAME DAY info

Hi Guys, here is this weekends GAME DAY info:

Eels v Titans TEAM; Click Here for TEAM

Here are not one not two but three special reason to get you and your family to the game this weekend. One, supporters are invited to run onto the field 15 minutes after the full time siren. And Two, the Easter Bunny is coming to hand out chocolate Easter Eggs to the kids just before kick off at half time. And Three, Family passes are $40 for this home game.

Also check out the 80 minutes of Eels Easter Madness and go online and buy a half price tickets to this weekend game between 12 noon and 1:20pm today. Buy Tickets

More important GAME DAY information below.

VENUE: Parramatta Stadium
Gates open 12:35pm
Toyota Cup Kick off 12:45
NRL Kick off 3pm

TICKETS: A special Family Pass for the Northern and Southern seated areas is available for $40.00 (a saving of $12.00) A Family pass is either 2 adults and 2 children or 1 adult and 3 kids.

TRANSPORT: Eels Shuttle Buses
Parramatta Station - Parramatta Stadium
Pre-Game - First Bus 12:30pm, Last Bus 3.00pm
Post Game - First Bus 5.00pm, Last Bus 7.00pm

Cole Sutton Reserve - Parramatt Stadium
Pre-Game - First Bus 12:30pm, Last Bus 2:45pm
Post Game - First Bus 5.00pm, Last Bus 7.00pm

ON FIELD ENTERTAINMENT: The Easter Bunny is coming to hand out yummy easter eggs to the kids just before NRL kick off at half time. Look out for Rob and Tahir's Fully Sick Kick at Half Time.

PRECINCT ENTERTAINMENT: You'll be able to hang out at the footy all day with precinct activity starting at 12:30 with Face Painting, Zoo Animals and the amazing Eels Jumping castle. Watch out for Sparkie and Sparkle too.

See you at the footy.

http://www.parraeels.com.au/

Ryan
24-04-11, 03:11 PM
Spoilers anyone?

Zillman puts Moi Moi on his back and makes him lose the ball! :D

* And Prince is cooking some pie ;)

gotitans101
24-04-11, 03:29 PM
Listening to it on 2GB. By the sounds of it, we've been absolutely hopeless for the first 18 minutes. Plenty of errors & giving away stupid penalties. Moore calling the game a 'mistake-a-thon' so far.

edit: Zilly you hog! PASS THE BALL FFS. Bodene would have been over if he did.

Ryan
24-04-11, 03:39 PM
Listening to it on 2GB. By the sounds of it, we've been absolutely hopeless for the first 18 minutes. Plenty of errors & giving away stupid penalties. Moore calling the game a 'mistake-a-thon' so far.

Not hopeless at all!

Refs are having a field day with penalties against us as per usual, but the boys are looking sharp. Bodene was no certainty to go over, but would have been close - Zilly still should have passed it though. Zillman is looking very dangerous every time he gets involved, Prince is giving plenty of variety in attack. Looking good!

titansrawesome
24-04-11, 04:28 PM
Not hopeless at all!

Refs are having a field day with penalties against us as per usual, but the boys are looking sharp. Bodene was no certainty to go over, but would have been close - Zilly still should have passed it though. Zillman is looking very dangerous every time he gets involved, Prince is giving plenty of variety in attack. Looking good!

were looking good but our ball security is costing us, i hope bird continues the offloads though

Steelers
24-04-11, 04:29 PM
You guys shouldn't go giving away anymore spoilers until after 6pm ;)

Few mistakes so far by the Titans, but other than that they have looked good when they have had the ball. As I type this the Titans start to get sloppy and give away a penalty after a forward pass :laugh:

titansrawesome
24-04-11, 04:33 PM
i think bodene doesnt know how to defend centre good as in his positioning, this has happened a few times this year to him, he doesnt know who to take

Steelers
24-04-11, 04:34 PM
i think bodene doesnt know how to defend centre good as in his positioning, this has happened a few times this year to him, he doesnt know who to take

In Bodene's defence though Horo did a great job with his decoy run.

titansrawesome
24-04-11, 04:37 PM
In Bodene's defence though Horo did a great job with his decoy run.

i suppose but we really should have man on man defense so there is never overlaps

Steelers
24-04-11, 04:42 PM

Loko was right behind Bodene. Would have caught him within 10m.

titansrawesome
24-04-11, 04:44 PM
Loko was right behind Bodene. Would have caught him within 10m.

may have palmed him off though or offloaded to mead

thelwall
24-04-11, 04:48 PM
robbbbbbbed

Steelers
24-04-11, 04:51 PM
robbbbbbbed

You guys shouldn't go giving away anymore spoilers until after 6pm ;)

titansrawesome
24-04-11, 04:59 PM
what the fark i didnt even get to watch it and now its been spoiled

CairnsTitan
24-04-11, 05:10 PM
Spoilers anyone?

Zillman puts Moi Moi on his back and makes him lose the ball! :D

* And Prince is cooking some pie ;)

Not sure what sort of pie he was cooking but it certainly wasn't humble pie :laugh:

Steelers
24-04-11, 05:12 PM
Errors! Titans could be up by 30 at the moment if they didn't make an error every 2nd set.

Ryan
24-04-11, 05:40 PM
Not sure what sort of pie he was cooking but it certainly wasn't humble pie :laugh:

You certainly weren't watching him play then. His cut out pass gave Tonga and Michaels the space to go over for our first try. He put in grubber kicks, bombs, long kicks, cross-field kicks, short passes, cut out passes and only missed one tackle. His kicking game made more meters than Robson's & Mortimer's put together. As a halfback he had a good game, his defense held up and his attack had more variety than the x-mas island detention center.

The penalty count made sure our momentum was taken away where possible. That last penalty against Bodene was absolute bullsh!t - and that's what led to the turnaround.

We made more meters, line breaks, offloads, had all the field possession and conceded the least missed tackles. The error rate and quality of refereeing is what let us down.

Zillman and Bird had a blinder, and I think Zillman has made that position his own. Hard loss to take, but thats footy. Overall I was happy with their performance despite the loss.

gotitans101
24-04-11, 05:57 PM
Can't blame the refs for this game. Almost any other team in the NRL would have put a score on the Eels without Hayne. Nope, not us.

Totally gutted but hey, it's becoming a regular trend, and the forum optimists continue to refuse we have problems.

titansrawesome
24-04-11, 05:57 PM
i wonder if carty is still tempted to put tomane in, he is top tryscorer for the jets

Coaster
24-04-11, 06:00 PM
That makes me sick

CairnsTitan
24-04-11, 06:05 PM
You certainly weren't watching him play then. His cut out pass gave Tonga and Michaels the space to go over for our first try. He put in grubber kicks, bombs, long kicks, cross-field kicks, short passes, cut out passes and only missed one tackle. His kicking game made more meters than Robson's & Mortimer's put together. As a halfback he had a good game, his defense held up and his attack had more variety than the x-mas island detention center.

He did a couple of good things I will give you that, but I saw a lot of his long kicks going straight to the fullback, he threw some shocking passes and to me still looked scared to take the line on, It's also no real achievment beating the Parra halves in anything, they are bad. I will have to watch a replay of the game though because I didn't see much variety, we took the ball wide a few times and Parra handled it with ease.

Steelers
24-04-11, 06:06 PM
Completion rate: 24/40 (60%)

While the penalty against Bodene Thompson for moving off the mark was a joke and a momentum changer, the Titans lost this game due to their poor completion rate. Simple errors at crucial times.

Steelers
24-04-11, 06:08 PM
He did a couple of good things I will give you that, but I saw a lot of his long kicks going straight to the fullback, he threw some shocking passes and to me still looked scared to take the line on, It's also no real achievment beating the Parra halves in anything, they are bad. I will have to watch a replay of the game though because I didn't see much variety, we took the ball wide a few times and Parra handled it with ease.

Agreed. He showed signs of improvement but at the same time showed signs that he is still in a rut. He looked the best he has this season though I reckon.

Supergoose
24-04-11, 06:12 PM
DISGUSTED. While the refs gave us a lopsided game and the call from the commentary was hopelessly biased, we still should've won that by 20 or more. While Prince had a mostly good game his long kicking was atrocious as he put it down their throats over and over again. Bird ruined our first 20 minutes with ill-discipline and Zillman butchered a probable try. Other than that Zillman was great. What was with Capewell slipping over all the time, that was inexperience and unprofessional for him to be in the wrong boots.

I thought the pass for Meads try was fine and we had two forward passes pulled up either side of a Parra forward pass that led to a Horo break and Parra try. Tonga and Bodene were magnificent, the bak three okay. The second row made too many mistakes and the props were good apart from a mistake by White. Friend was okay too. Too many mistakes and penalties for mine, but we gotthe raw end of the refs and the commentary was almost unbearable.

Rage
24-04-11, 06:12 PM
Penalty against Thomson was a joke!
Dunno if its our discipline or the refs but the amount of penalties against us really frustrates me every game I watch

GoldCoastTitans100
24-04-11, 06:19 PM
The game was very disappointing the completion rate was a joke.

Prince through some bad passes, his kicks found the backs on the full and he didn't create that many opportunity's. Yes he done some alright things but for a HB the things he done were expected.

But i seriously hope im wrong about Prince and he starts proving me wrong.

TITAN PETE
24-04-11, 06:20 PM
We were just beaten by the Wooden Spoon Fav's :thumbsup:

Coaster
24-04-11, 06:20 PM
I agree but fmd where is the discipline from this team???

They have none, I'm sick of it.
They should finically punish stupidity, there playing like a bunch of complete idiots and I can't see it changing this year.

The whole management staff need a good look at themselves, I have no idea what was trained for 5 months, but it certainly wasn't discipline. My last post tonight, I'm way too emotional ATM.

Losing that game was unforgivable

matti
24-04-11, 06:30 PM
whats wth the under 20's , they should just give up now

Rage
24-04-11, 06:31 PM
Any idea what the penalty count was?

Supergoose
24-04-11, 06:38 PM
Any idea what the penalty count was?

9-4 to the Eels.

CairnsTitan
24-04-11, 06:40 PM
I'm gonna go with what someone from here has said, we have had the flair coached out of us, imo we are a team that should play like the tigers but instead are playing like st george which doesn't suit a lot of our players.

Coaster
24-04-11, 06:42 PM
I'm gonna go with what someone from here has said, we have had the flair coached out of us, imo we are a team that should play like the tigers but instead are playing like st george which doesn't suit a lot of our players.

I understand what u mean, but I wish we played like STG. STG havnt made that many errors in a season

dee13
24-04-11, 06:53 PM
If you ask me. We sell Minichiello to the first team offering to buy him. He had a good game last week but they are few and far between. Everytime he gets the ball I hold my breath because he is every chance of dropping it. He is ill disciplined in defence also.

IM NOT HAPPY:fight:

See you all on Saturday.

Rage
24-04-11, 06:54 PM
9-4 to the Eels.

Why am I not surprised...
Pretty sure we had 15 errors at one point as well. I might be able to deal with less attacking flair and to be a 'boring' side if it meant we were well disciplined but that's just not happening.

I hate seeing five repeat sets on the line and an inability to cross the line yet when the opposing team finally gets one set on our line they score a try.

titansrawesome
24-04-11, 06:59 PM
we trying to defend like st george but we defend like raiders, we try to play grinding attack like st george but we barely score from a backline play and the wingers are starving. the flair has been coached out of us like coaster said, i prefer entertainment and flair over grinding minor premierships any day, now we have neither

matti
24-04-11, 07:00 PM
Watching the game live you saw how tired parra were looking around the 60-70min mark. This is why we need mead and such to run laps around them

Boofhead
24-04-11, 07:10 PM
Rocks or diamonds that Minichiello. Don't understand how the bloke can be so good then so miserablely.

Chaos
24-04-11, 07:26 PM
How can we lose to Parra with no Hayne?

Zillman played well in attack but it wasn't from any structured play...it came off the cuff and the try he scored was around the ruck...that is were he is suited and I believe it can do it from Fullback.
He doesn't pass before the line and is therefore not suited to 5/8...the potential try he bomb was from a guy who has an instinct to run before pass...that instinct will starve Idris of the ball next year.

He was caught out again in defense and if anyone is bothered to watch the replay...watch Parras tries and keep an eye on Zillman.

I like Zillman and like him attacking around the ruck but he's not a 5/8.
At face value he looked great but in defense he lost the game.

Capewell hasn't beat one player from fullback and doesn't give the Titans any starting momentum from fullback...he's not ready for NRL

Put Zillman back to fullback before the season is over.

teke
24-04-11, 07:47 PM
Titans attack is worst in the comp by far, it is horrible...Titans didnt lose the game in defence they lost it with their attack. It is so dam SLOW and disjointed that they wouldnt even break the line against a Qld Cup team.

I expect Carty to do some proper changes this week.

matti
24-04-11, 07:47 PM
Where is shannon Walker?

bigjim
24-04-11, 07:50 PM
It's bad enough losing but then to come onto this forum and read all the crap from idiots who have never played a game of league in their lives solving all the Titans problems. If you really knew anything about the game you would be playing or coaching first grade. Guess what, your not.....

I don't know why we lost but I'm not about to start telling professionals how to play or coach. So do me a favour and give it a rest.

We have a very good team, just not good enough to win against a desperate opposition or multiple questionable ref calls.

Coaster
24-04-11, 07:50 PM
Capewell has had a go, time for a change.
Turning up to a ground with 4 inch grass and wet with blades is a mistake I won't have with a professional.

matti
24-04-11, 07:55 PM
Thats cause bigjim, i'm a talented tattoo artist .

CairnsTitan
24-04-11, 08:04 PM
It's bad enough losing but then to come onto this forum and read all the crap from idiots who have never played a game of league in their lives solving all the Titans problems. If you really knew anything about the game you would be playing or coaching first grade. Guess what, your not.....

I don't know why we lost but I'm not about to start telling professionals how to play or coach. So do me a favour and give it a rest.

We have a very good team, just not good enough to win against a desperate opposition or multiple questionable ref calls.

Pull your head in mate, you don't need to play a game of rugby league to see what they are doing wrong.

This is a forum, we discuss the game, good or bad. If you don't like it then a forum is not a place for you.

Chaos
24-04-11, 08:10 PM

Mate...we played Parramatta without Hayne...they can't beat an NRL side without Hayne.

Ryan
24-04-11, 08:12 PM
Mate...we played Parramatta without Hayne...they can't beat an NRL side without Hayne.

Who needs Hayne when you've got the referees? :doh:

Chaos
24-04-11, 08:15 PM
Who needs Hayne when you've got the referees? :doh:

The refs have been bad all year but there has still been 8 winners each week

teke
24-04-11, 08:15 PM
Who needs Hayne when you've got the referees? :doh:I hardly ever bag refs and thought Thompsons penalty was tough BUT Atkins did the same thing minutes later which was worse imo.

karnage
24-04-11, 08:34 PM
Good teams win without relying on the referees. Their calls didn't cost us the game, our inability to score points did.

We should have put such a space in them that the calls didn't matter. If we had converted pressure into points the dodgy call against Thompson would not have mattered. If we had just locked up the ball before halftime we would have led by 8 instead of 2.

I don't get all the plaudits for Greg Bird either. Sure, he scored a try but all he did was run past a poorly positioned Mortimer. He encapsulates everything it means to be a Cronulla Shark - poor ball security, poor discipline - I hope he gets picked up somewhere else and we spend the money on someone else.

A really awful performance by the best team we can put on the park. I can't be certain that anybody, with the possible exception of Tomane, can make a difference to that team so as supporters we have to suck it up, support the team and hope that we get better.

Titanic
24-04-11, 08:40 PM
I totally echo karnage's comments ... I have no confidence in this mob at all ... I am a Titans man and will pitifully be watching/praying again next week but this group of under-achieving, ill-disciplined, one-dimensional players transcend any poor refereeing, imho.

Steelers
24-04-11, 09:01 PM
My last post tonight, I'm way too emotional ATM.

How many posts you made since then Coaster? :laugh:

Rage
24-04-11, 09:04 PM
I'm not gonna hold my breath on Carty changing the team and players around because he rarely does that. Instead, I'd just love to see heavy emphasis on discipline so we don't cough up so many dam penalties

eelectrica
24-04-11, 09:05 PM
Titans and Souths fighting it out for this years under achievers award.
Titans gave a lesson in throwing the game away today.

Mini, what were you thinking with that last attempted pass? Just needed to play out the set, get a good kick and that would have been the ball game.

Parra can't attack unless you give them field position - which the Titans did several times.

Coaster
24-04-11, 09:06 PM
How many posts you made since then Coaster? :laugh:

LOL.

I can't help it, I'm addicted to footy. Love me Titans, we fight sometimes and they treat me bad, but we always kiss and make up

Rage
24-04-11, 09:09 PM
David Beniuk AAP Sun, Apr 24, 2011 - 7:20 PM

Furious Gold Coast coach John Cartwright blasted his side's "arrogance" as the Titans remained firmly entrenched at the wrong end of the NRL table following Sunday's last gasp loss to Parramatta.

The Titans led from the eighth until the 80th minute at Parramatta Stadium before Eels forward Shane Shackleton scored, the try coming moments after a coach-killing error from backrower Mark Minichiello.

The representative forward attempted a miracle offload on his own 40m line in the 77th minute with his side up 18-16, allowing the home side the field position to snatch the win.

"I was cranky with the arrogance of where we turned it over," Cartwright said.

"We were just not respecting the opposition, we were pushing offloads in stages of the game there at the end.

"We pride ourselves in winning tight games, we tried to offload the ball on two occasions and we came up with loose balls.

"And that was the game, it was just total disrespect for the opposition."

Fancied before the season began, Gold Coast slumped to 2-5 to be 13th and in the company of Penrith and South Sydney who also have just two wins.

Only Canberra, who blew a 12-0 lead to capitulate to Newcastle 22-12 in the national capital, sit below that trio.

"It was poor, it was lacking in basics and it was lacking in attitude," Cartwright said.

"It was an inept performance and it was just a very poor showing."

If Cartwright needed any evidence his side was disrespectful of the struggling Eels, he didn't need to look any further than skipper Scott Prince.

"With all due respect to Parramatta, if we're going to do that against good teams we're going to get our **** smacked," Prince said.

That assessment didn't rile Eels captain Nathan Hindmarsh though.

"It was a fair point today," Hindmarsh said.

"We didn't play our best footy, I think everyone could see that, we were well off.

"But I think the positive thing that came out of this game was that we hung in there."

The Eels moved to ninth on the ladder and the Knights seventh, while Melbourne and St George Illawarra can join leaders Brisbane on 12 points with games against the Warriors and the Sydney Roosters respectively on Monday.

The Rabbitohs were awaiting scans on injured duo Sam Burgess (ankle) and James Roberts (arm) but were hopeful of best possible scenarios with both.

Canterbury prop Michael Hodgson is also expected to be right after fainting during Saturday night's win over Souths.

"They seem to think maybe a middle ear infection that I wasn't aware of or ... because I'm back and forth all the time from Canberra trying to live two lives (his family lives in Canberra), they think it might even be a case of just pushing myself too hard," he told ABC radio.

"It is very bizarre. I remember absolutely everything, so they said that's good for my brain."

Rage
24-04-11, 09:11 PM
^ Wow correct me if I'm wrong but that's one of the first times in a while that I've heard Carty 'blast' our side. Normally he refers to poor refereeing or how we didn't get the 'rub of the green'. Maybe he will actually drop some players?

Coaster
24-04-11, 09:13 PM
^ Wow correct me if I'm wrong but that's one of the first times in a while that I've heard Carty 'blast' our side. Normally he refers to poor refereeing or how we didn't get the 'rub of the green'. Maybe he will actually drop some players?

I am glad he seen it for what it was, the excuses need to stop or the improvement can't be made

Rage
24-04-11, 09:18 PM
Oh I definitely agree, I was always a bit envious of how other team's coaches always 'blast' or 'spray' their teams because if the respect for the coach is there, they'll always lift their game and discipline. However, reading what Carty said, I can't help but feel he's singling out Mini

matti
24-04-11, 09:23 PM
He is prob sick of it just as much as we are , this week is going to be interesting

eelectrica
24-04-11, 09:24 PM
New territory for Carty as coach. I'm pretty sure this is the worse start to a season We've had. In seasons passed there have been flat spots mid season, but not the start where we're normally so good.

Hopefully after throwing this game away, the playes realise they need to do more than just turn up to get the win.

titansrawesome
24-04-11, 09:34 PM
I am glad he seen it for what it was, the excuses need to stop or the improvement can't be made

im very happy with carty being like this, it should mean we will play way better and hopefully he picks tagatese,walker and tomane to come in and our training will be a lot harder and better hopefully

Rage
24-04-11, 09:36 PM
Well at first I was doubtful he'd make any changes but if he truly is fed up like what the article is implying, maybe we actually will see some players dropped or at least swapped around. It'll be an interesting week indeed.

Supergoose
24-04-11, 10:37 PM
Rocks or diamonds that Minichiello. Don't understand how the bloke can be so good then so miserablely.

I've said it before in seasons passed, he's great at home but terrible on the road. Not sure why, just an observation. Perhaps he plays with emotion and feeds off the home crowd and doesn't get the same energy from away ones.

Supergoose
24-04-11, 10:52 PM
I too agree wholeheartedly with Karnage but I can't for the life of me work out what we have done to get on the wrong side of the refs lime we have. It shouldn't matter we should still win games like this one but please, we had a winger whose momentum was stopped, he was then picked up and flung over the sideline and there's no penalty against the tackler? Even the pro-eels commentary were surprised there was no penalty. The inconsistent calls in favour of our opposition week-in, week-out do drive a supporter to distraction. The problem is that we are the ones putting ourselves under pressure. Players like Bird, White, Henderson and Minichiello have always had a penalty or mistake in them and they are proving too big a liability at the moment. There needs to be focus on discipline and professionalism and we need to find some spark. Tonga and Thompson provided a bit of spark and Zillman wasn't too bad although he did make mistakes. Tomane is what we need and fast and Capewell is the one to make way. Capewell should play half or five-eight for one of our feeders and work his way into our first grade squad the same way Tomane, Toopi, Michaels and the like have done.

teke
24-04-11, 11:35 PM
Cheeky Eels didnt allow Mead to return the ball once today. They bombed him but didnt let him get the ground balls so he could return with fire.

The way the eels won made it even more disheartening. A kick that rebounds off the upright and a scrappy bomb on the siren, puhlease:nope:

No excuses but dam frustrating.

Now we need to eliminate the scum this coming weekend :mad:

DIEHARD
25-04-11, 07:34 AM
That was heartbreaking. I was so numb after that. And i had a suspicion that it was coming. We never felt safe. And to lose to a dodgy richochet bomb is gutwrenching. But we shouldn't have made those mistakes to give them the opportunity, giving possession up o what the second tackle.

You can say good teams don't need to rely on the ref. Yea that's a great philosophy but more often than not it is not the case. Rugby League is such an unforgiving game that a change in momentum changes the game. And we got screwed by the ref.

So very disappointed to lose as it is a game we should have and must have won. The absence of these two points here and there will hurt as at the end of the season.

I think some changes are in order and I agree, let's bbe Tomane a go. He has paid his dues in QCup and I beleive we need him.

Also can someone tell Zillman to pass?!? Especially when he is playing 5/8th?!

Hey, on a positive looked like a good number of Titans fans there! Especially in the Southern Legion and didn't the new banner looked awesome?!

Let's hope we can smash the Chooks next week. Play with more discipline and potency in attack. Because time is starting to run out and the Titans not making the Finals is a distinct possibility.

DIEHARD
25-04-11, 07:35 AM
And for Gods sake, stop conceding just before half time!

Boonarga
25-04-11, 05:33 PM
The penalty for moving off the mark was correct. There should be more of them. Especially when the same thing happens minutes later from the other team!
The incorrect forward pass call on the Mead try is what cost us the game.

Steelers
25-04-11, 06:51 PM
The penalty for moving off the mark was correct. There should be more of them. Especially when the same thing happens minutes later from the other team!

I disagree. I believe the referee should simply tell the player to go back to the mark and play the ball from there. Not only does the attacking team lose the metres they gained, but the defending team gets time to set their line. A penalty is too harsh, especially when it is a bad call like it was yesterday. The ref said Bodene was held on the line but his feet were on the line while his torso and the ball were over a metre in front of it. He moved forward no more than a metre from the mark. The penalty was far too harsh.

amaline
25-04-11, 07:08 PM
I disagree. I believe the referee should simply tell the player to go back to the mark and play the ball from there. Not only does the attacking team lose the metres they gained, but the defending team gets time to set their line. A penalty is too harsh, especially when it is a bad call like it was yesterday. The ref said Bodene was held on the line but his feet were on the line while his torso and the ball were over a metre in front of it. He moved forward no more than a metre from the mark. The penalty was far too harsh.

Yep, I agree. It's strange that a player can get up after getting tackled, run and get sent back by the ref to play it again, but if they play the ball slightly off the mark they get penalised. :doh:

Rage
25-04-11, 08:59 PM
Agreed, that penalty alone swung the momentum for the Eel's final fightback. I even would've been okay with it if the Eels player was held up for the same thing yet the ref's seemed to miss it. Even the biased commentary were bewildered at why the Eels weren't penalised for the same thing Bodene was

C-Whiz
26-04-11, 07:36 AM
I like Zillman and like him attacking around the ruck but he's not a 5/8.
Capewell hasn't beat one player from fullback and doesn't give the Titans any starting momentum from fullback...he's not ready for NRLI think Zillman showed that if we are going to keep persisting with swapping players into 5/8, Zilly is the man for it. He has shown enough over the poast 2 weeks, that while not a polished 5/8 he is currently our most consistent choice for that position. There are several FB options, but agree Capewell has much to learn about 1st grade, even which boots to wear on game day, and could well do with some Cup time to find his style and position.

I don't know why we lost but I'm not about to start telling professionals how to play or coach. So do me a favour and give it a rest. :D Mate, that's how I feel sometimes, but everyone has an opinion, and everyone is entitled to voice it. Nice spray though! :thumbsup:

Capewell has had a go, time for a change.
Turning up to a ground with 4 inch grass and wet with blades is a mistake I won't have with a professional.Yep, i was all for giving him a few games to find his feet, but it turns out he literally can't even do that. :nope:

Capewell should play half or five-eight for one of our feeders and work his way into our first grade squad the same way Tomane, Toopi, Michaels and the like have done.Yes, he's had a fair go, and just doesn't hasn't done enough to earn his spot, while others have shown they want it back bad!

C-Whiz
26-04-11, 07:38 AM
And I hope you fantasy leaguers took my tip and put Hindy in (if you don't have him as a starting forward anyway). :thumbsup:

Chaos
26-04-11, 08:18 AM
I think Zillman showed that if we are going to keep persisting with swapping players into 5/8, Zilly is the man for it. He has shown enough over the poast 2 weeks, that while not a polished 5/8 he is currently our most consistent choice for that position.

I'm hoping Preston goes to 5/8 when he gets back and Zillman drops back to fullback.
I'd love to see Zillman looking for opportunities around the ruck...he'd be dangerous if any forward got an off load back to him.

Matty_Rogers
26-04-11, 09:03 AM
I'm hoping Preston goes to 5/8 when he gets back and Zillman drops back to fullback.
I'd love to see Zillman looking for opportunities around the ruck...he'd be dangerous if any forward got an off load back to him.

I concur, Zillman is a lot bigger than preston and he's a big guy. Would be good to see him around the ruck, but it is his strong suit??

Rage
26-04-11, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Zillman back in the 1 either. He's been doing pretty well at 6 but the best game he ever played for us was at fullback and he really tore it up in that finals game.

Supergoose
26-04-11, 11:55 AM
Zillman has to stay 5/8 - We need to look at why we lost that game and it wasn't because Zillman was at 5/8. He had a reasonably good game and our backs actually got some decent ball. Yes he should've passed and I'll be he looks that way next time after the video this week. Presto will be our super-sub like it or not. I think Capewell will make way for Tomane and Mead will get the gig at the back at least until Walker has a game or two back in QCup. Let's see how today pans out.

thelwall
26-04-11, 12:52 PM
here are some stats from the past two games according to nrl.com :) :: the tigers game prince`s kick meters = 397 .... zillman`s kick meters = 12 ....... parra game prince`s kick meters = 364 ..... zillman`s kick meters = 56 .. i just think that there is to much pressure on prince , its clear as a bell where we are going for last play options thats why princes keeps getting hit when he kicks / charged down ( which i saw on the weekend ) i think having presto at 5/8 will relieve some of the pressure off princey and will also allow zillman to still do what he has been doing from fullback instead of 5/8 because honestly he hasnt really showed us any sort of kicking game

teke
26-04-11, 12:56 PM
Zillmans kicks always looks like he accidently drops it on the wrong foot

GoldCoastTitans100
26-04-11, 01:33 PM
here are some stats from the past two games according to nrl.com :) ::
the tigers game prince`s kick meters = 397 .... zillman`s kick meters = 12
....... parra game prince`s kick meters = 364 ..... zillman`s kick meters = 56 .. i just think that there is to much pressure on prince , its clear as a bell where we are going for last play options that's why princes keeps getting hit when he kicks / charged down ( which i saw on the weekend )

Last two games by the dragons from the NRL site
South Sydney v Dragons. Soward - 564M.... Boyd kicked 46
Roosters V Dragons, Soward - 485M..... Hornby kicked 40

I think it's more then what your saying :)

Ryan
26-04-11, 02:06 PM
here are some stats from the past two games according to nrl.com :) :: the tigers game prince`s kick meters = 397 .... zillman`s kick meters = 12 ....... parra game prince`s kick meters = 364 ..... zillman`s kick meters = 56 .. i just think that there is to much pressure on prince , its clear as a bell where we are going for last play options thats why princes keeps getting hit when he kicks / charged down ( which i saw on the weekend ) i think having presto at 5/8 will relieve some of the pressure off princey and will also allow zillman to still do what he has been doing from fullback instead of 5/8 because honestly he hasnt really showed us any sort of kicking game

No it's not what he is saying, nice try though :)

He is saying someone else should be doing some more kicking to take the pressure and attention off Prince. And I agree, no reason why Bird can't do some more long kicking and Bombs even with Prince back. And when Campbell gets back on the field, ha can be another attacking option rather than go to Prince every play.

Regardless, your piss-poor attempt to make Prince look bad has its flaws;

Our forward pack is one of the best performing in the comp atm. When Prince is kicking down field, he is doing it from better field position than Soward which means two things:
1. Prince will not make as many meters from kicks because the forwards have already made them.
2. When the opposition back 3 have to field Prince's kicks, they have alot less ground to cover to mark them on the full. - which can make it appear as though Prince is kicking it down their throat.

Round 7:
Dragons forward pack: 658mts from 27 completed sets
Soward: 485mts from 15 kicks (32m/kick)
Titans forward pack: 842mts from 25 completed sets
Prince: 364mts from 12 Kicks (30m/kick)

Keep trying though :rolleyes:

GoldCoastTitans100
26-04-11, 03:21 PM
No it's not what he is saying, nice try though :)

Round 7:
Dragons forward pack: 658mts from 27 completed sets
Soward: 485mts from 15 kicks (32m/kick)
Titans forward pack: 842mts from 25 completed sets
Prince: 364mts from 12 Kicks (30m/kick)

Keep trying though :rolleyes:

So you agree Soward makes more meters.

thelwall
26-04-11, 03:34 PM
that clearly wasnt wat he was saying :|

thelwall
26-04-11, 03:37 PM

goood stats apart from you missed the 158m by nathan fien :P

thelwall
26-04-11, 03:41 PM
and what i was saying is prince isnt at his best we all know it but maybe some other options of people who can kick will help relieve the pressure and get him back to his best .... thanks ryan :) u fully understood me

GoldCoastTitans100
26-04-11, 03:49 PM
and what i was saying is prince isnt at his best we all know it but maybe some other options of people who can kick will help relieve the pressure and get him back to his best .... thanks ryan :) u fully understood me

I said
I think it's more then what your saying

I was referring to things like the team around Prince does not protect him like the dragons protect Sowerd ?

thelwall
26-04-11, 03:52 PM
yes that is correct :) titans need to come up with a better game plan to protect prince but still we rely on prince to much

Rage
26-04-11, 05:41 PM
I have no problems with Bird taking the long kicks and bombs as opposed to Prince doing them, seems like its the direction the team is going in anyway. Once Presto's back, he adds some short kicking options as well and towards the end of last year Friend was putting in quite a few grubbers of his own. With so many options, its a mystery why our attack is so stunted