PDA

View Full Version : The Ashes 2010/11

TITAN PETE
25-11-10, 08:31 AM
I'll start the thread for what could be a fizzer or a cracker of a series which starts today at the Gabba :surprise:

I've always been a lover of the game but the way selections have been handled this season it makes u wonder if they are even required as it seems what Ricky wants Ricky gets..:rolleyes:

ASHES TOUR FIXTURES
Thursday, November 25 2010
Brisbane Australia v England First Test
00:00 GMT Scoreboard | Over-by-over | Hawkeye

Friday, December 3 2010
Adelaide Australia v England Second Test
00:00 GMT Scoreboard | Over-by-over | Hawkeye

Friday, December 10 2010
Melbourne Victoria v England Fourth Warm-Up Match
00:00 GMT

Thursday, December 16 2010
Perth Australia v England Third Test
02:30 GMT Scoreboard | Over-by-over | Hawkeye

Sunday, December 26 2010
Melbourne Australia v England Fourth Test
23:30 GMT Scoreboard | Over-by-over | Hawkeye

Monday, January 3 2011
Sydney Australia v England Fifth Test
23:30 GMT Scoreboard | Over-by-over | Hawkeye

Monday, January 10 2011
Canberra Prime Minister's XI v England Fifth Warm-Up Match
22:45 GMT

Wednesday, January 12 2011
Adelaide Australia v England First Twenty20
08:35 GMT

Friday, January 14 2011
Melbourne Australia v England Second Twenty20
08:35 GMT

Sunday, January 16 2011
Melbourne Australia v England First One-day International
03:20 GMT

Friday, January 21 2011
Hobart Australia v England Second One-day International

Sunday, January 23 2011
Sydney Australia v England Third One-day International

Wednesday, January 26 2011
Adelaide Australia v England Fourth One-day International

Sunday, January 30 2011
Brisbane Australia v England Fifth One-day International

Wednesday, February 2 2011
Sydney Australia v England Sixth One-day International

Sunday, February 6 2011
Perth Australia v England Seventh One-day International

TITAN PETE
25-11-10, 08:34 AM
The Ashes 2010: Cricket Australia braced for record loss despite hopes of biggest ever crowd at MCG

Cricket Australia may be heading for a record loss in this Ashes year but officials are hoping for some good news by pinning their faith in Boxing Day at the MCG setting a new world record attendance for a cricket match.

The board is desperate for this to be the closest series for years and for both teams to still be in with a chance of winning the Ashes when the fourth Test begins at the MCG on Dec 26.
If that happens, and it would be the first time since 1986-87, the vast MCG could beat its own world record crowd of 90,800, set on the first day of a Test between Australia and West Indies in 1960-61, the series which produced the first tied Test.
The MCG has been rebuilt in recent years and now has a capacity of 100,000, leaving plenty of room to beat the record, but with fewer England fans making the trip this time than in 2006-07 it will take a persuasive marketing campaign to top 90,800.

“We are hoping to be above the world record which is what we have set our sights on,” said James Sutherland, chief executive of Cricket Australia.
“Ticket sales are very strong and there might be people hanging back waiting to see how the series unfolds over the next few weeks before buying. There are 60,000 public seats on sale so we then rely on the Melbourne Cricket Club members turning up.”
Breaking the record would be a handy way to gloss over the fact that CA is set for a loss this year of around ?9 million as the harsh realities of the economic recession and the slump in its team’s fortunes bites.
“What I have observed is the 2006-07 Ashes series, the anticipation of it was frenzied off the back of 2005,” Sutherland said.
“We have not seen that frenzy this time but what we will see is crowds being the same if not better than in 2006-07. It is also a fact that CA is budgeting to record a loss this year that is not abnormal or a surprise to us.
"We manage our financial affairs over a four-year cycle, and there are peaks and troughs. We incur losses three out of four years but make profit over the Indian year which leaves us with a surplus which we bank into reserves.”
India tour Australia next year and the overseas television rights will be worth six times more than for an Ashes series.

Steelers
25-11-10, 05:49 PM
If I lived in Melbourne I would be at the MCG every bloody Boxing Day! Had a chance to be there today but ultimately didn't eventuate, and I am livid! Would have been awesome to be there while Siddle took the first Ashes hat-trick since Darren Gough in 1999.

Coaster
25-11-10, 08:44 PM
wow what a day of cricket.

Best i have seen for a long time.

Congrats to Sids.

When i was in Melbourne this year, i was driving past AAMI stadium, and turned my head cause i saw White and D.Hussey walking down the path, had to slam on my brakes or i would have crushed Siddle, they were all crossing the road to train behind AAMI park.

So i will take a bit of that hatrick today thank you very much.

TITAN PETE
26-11-10, 10:24 AM
Great 1st day & i think there's "nothing better than a Hat Trick in a test match" , we may go another 10 or 20 years to see another so well done to the Birthday Boy Sids :thumbsup:

Lets hope our boys only bat once & the match is over inside 4 days :eyebrows:

Steelers
26-11-10, 10:20 PM
Great 1st day & i think there's "nothing better than a Hat Trick in a test match" , we may go another 10 or 20 years to see another so well done to the Birthday Boy Sids :thumbsup:

It really was one of those 'tell your grandkids you were there' moments, and I am gutted that I wasn't.

TITAN PETE
03-12-10, 10:14 AM
England on their toes
02 December, 2010
Lee Gagliardi,

England captain Andrew Strauss said the axing of Mitchell Johnson from Australia's squad for the second Test was a massive decision but said the visitors won't be fazed by whoever steps in to fill the paceman's shoes.
Strauss said England were not concerned by all the hype surrounding Australia's selection for the Test match in Adelaide and conceded paying too much attention to their opponents could be detrimental to their own preparation.
The skipper acknowledged England may have 'batted' Australia's bowlers out of the match in Brisbane but denied his side will be 'sidetracked' by focussing on that performance, adding with the series still tied at 0-0 England are yet to achieve anything.
"I think Mitchell has been a very good performer for Australia over a number of years," said Strauss on Thursday.
"He's been spearheading their attack so it's a pretty big call to leave him out, but it's not something that concerns us. We've got to be ready for whoever might take his place and make sure we've got plans in place to try and counteract them."
"Generally, focussing on the opposition too much is generally unhelpful."
"You can't worry about what's happened already too much or you can't get sidetracked by it because this is a new set of circumstances, a new set of conditions, a slightly different bowling attack and you've got t be prepared to play what's ahead of you and not behind you."
"The theme of our preparation has been very much one of making sure we keep our feet on the ground and realising it's nil-all in the series and we haven't achieved anything yet. If we want to achieve anything we've got to steal ourselves for another very tough five days of cricket."
With Australia Captain Ricky Ponting admitting earlier on Thursday that Australia were yet to finalise their final XI despite dropping Johnson, Strauss also confirmed England would settle their squad on Friday morning, the opening day of the second Test.
The visitors' skipper hinted it was unlikely England would make changes to the XI that played at the Gabba admitting he was happy with the performance from his side in Brisbane.
Strauss did say he believed the instability and speculation surrounding Australia's line could be an advantage and play into the visitors' hands with either Ryan Harris or Doug Bollinger tipped to come into the squad in place of Johnson.
Strauss added England would issue 'slight' caution to whoever gets the call up with both Harris and Bollinger more than capable replacements.
"We always pick the team on the morning of the game," he said.
"Generally we're happy with the majority of the performances in Brisbane but we'll see how we go in the morning."
"My experience in international cricket is that lack of stability is not a good thing, when you're not sure what your best XI is. That means people are generally a bit concerned about their place in the side."
"In that sense it's a good thing for us but I think we've got to be slightly wary of the guys they've got in their squad. They're good performers, they've had a lot of success in Test cricket, it's not like they're dragging someone in from obscurity. We've got to be good enough to contend with them."

TITAN PETE
03-12-10, 11:45 AM
Australia wins the Toss & elects to Bat.. :thumbsup:

Then i heard a score of Australia 3-2 & i thought there must have been a soccer match being played somewhere ... but no that was our cricketing side which included a Golden Duck (Ponting) & a very rare Diamond Duck for Katich :surprise:

Things have to get better....:?)

TITAN PETE
06-12-10, 01:48 PM
England declares 375 ahead
Updated December 6, 2010 12:13:00

Sunday's hero ... Kevin Pietersen departed early on day four but not before reaching his career-best score of 227.

England is in a seemingly bulletproof position with two days remaining in the second Ashes Test after its batsmen threw the willow at everything in a hard-hitting first half-hour before declaring at 5 for 620.

The tourists have set Australia a virtually insurmountable 375 to make them bat again, after Ian Bell (68 not out) and Matt Prior (27 not out) piled on a quickfire 52-run stand off 34 deliveries on what is still a brilliant batting track at the Adelaide Oval.

Simon Katich is still nursing a swollen Achilles tendon but walked to the middle to kick-start Australia's innings, pouring water on reports that North would take his opening spot alongside Shane Watson.

England's intentions for the fourth morning were quite clear after Sunday's hero Kevin Pietersen thumped Doug Bollinger to the rope off the second ball of the day.

The flashy right-hander (227) was the lone Englishman to fall in the session, out swinging at Xavier Doherty (1 for 158 off 27) one ball after sending the Tasmanian spinner crashing to the boundary on his first delivery of the day.

But he did not depart before setting a new career-best innings, a welcome knock after having gone 17 Tests and 18 months without a ton.

Bell was nearly another victim of the aggressive approach when he skied Doherty to long on, but a miscommunication between Ricky Ponting and Marcus North saw the catch hit the grass instead of hands.

Prior also avoided dismissal when he successfully overturned the second umpiring decision of the England innings.

Peter Siddle, who ended up wicketless, struck the English wicketkeeper on the pad and got a positive response to his lbw appeal, but the video review ruled that the ball was on track to miss the stumps down leg side.

It is now crunch time for the Australian top order, which failed to make any impact in the first dig and left it to Mike Hussey and Brad Haddin to pull the hosts out of the fire.

Katich, Ponting and Michael Clarke made two runs between them on Friday, almost as cheaply as the tail-enders fell.