PDA

View Full Version : Stuart feels he can conquer Queensland

TITAN PETE
18-11-10, 08:52 AM
Adrian Warren AAP Wed, 17 Nov 2010 17:33:41
Back as NSW Origin coach, Ricky Stuart believes he has a group of emerging youngsters who could ultimately topple a Queensland outfit he regards as the "premier football team in the world".

The last NSW coach to win an Origin series back in 2005, Stuart was appointed for a two-year term and will be the first fulltime coach of the Blues.

Feeling refreshed following a three-month break after quitting NRL club Cronulla, Stuart was under no illusions about the magnitude of the job facing him.

Queensland have won the last five Origin series and Stuart said it was time to end the embarrassment felt in NSW.

"It's a massive challenge, we are playing against the premier football team in the world," Stuart said.

"We haven't been far away, we were very unlucky not to win the third game last year.

"There's no doubt about it, it's a huge challenge, you're playing against a football team that is probably the best Queensland team that's ever been produced.

"I think we're in awe of them regards to their ability and the skill they've got, but I've got to put a plan in place in regard to trying to take that momentum away from them."

While he wasn't about to provide specific details of how he intended to break Queensland's stranglehold, Stuart was adamant the Blues had sufficient talent to overcome the star-studded Maroons.

Over the past three years Stuart's predecessor Craig Bellamy blooded several promising youngsters including Mitchell Pearce and Jamal Idris and will have rugby league's newly crowned international player of the year, Todd Carney, at his disposal next season.

"We've got some players now for NSW who are playing for the Australian team that gives a little more confidence to their performance, we've got to be looking at picking those players and creating some stability around them," Stuart said.

He revealed he wanted to form a core of senior players who would have input into decisions regarding the Blues team.

Stuart didn't doubt NSW players shared the same passion for the jersey as their Queensland counterparts, but wanted to engender that from an earlier age.

He wants players as young as 13 or 14 to be educated in the culture of the NSW team.

The former Roosters premiership-winning coach admitted he would like to return to the NRL at some stage after hopefully turning around the Blues' fortunes.

Stuart was reluctant to discuss any get-out clauses in his NSW contract, saying only it included terms and guidelines.

NSW Rugby League chairman Colin Love said if Stuart wanted a release from his contract it would have to be discussed by his board.

Stuart suggested it was unlikely he would ever juggle club and representative coaching jobs as he felt Origin football now required a fulltime mentor.

The NSW job represents a return to representative football for Stuart, who stood down as Australian coach almost two years ago.

He said he would continue to lean on the knowledge and experience of successful former coaches Bob Fulton and Phil Gould and would involve NSW legends in the Blues set-up.

DIEHARD
18-11-10, 08:33 PM
I think Stuart will bring alot to the Blues. He is passionate and the stocks of NSW player stocks are rising.

Also a fulltime role is vital, a must for any representative coaching job, if you ask me.

DIEHARD
18-11-10, 08:38 PM
The Blues can also field a pretty impressive backline.

teke
01-01-11, 07:24 PM
I think the Blues will win this year, the Maroons are an aging unit and have lost a fair few players. Perfect time for Stuart to come in and claim undeserved credit for a series win :mad:

onlooker
02-01-11, 11:43 AM
Been some rumours circling down here in Sydney (2UE started them) that Wally 'The King' Lewis has texted Meninga saying something along the lines of happy new year but there is no way QLD will beat NSW in 2011.

Not sure how true it is, after all it did come off 2UE but who knows.

DIEHARD
02-01-11, 11:49 AM
Been some rumours circling down here in Sydney (2UE started them) that Wally 'The King' Lewis has texted Meninga saying something along the lines of happy new year but there is no way QLD will beat NSW in 2011.

Not sure how true it is, after all it did come off 2UE but who knows.

Well in the papers up here Wally said that Mal had been not let his guard down, because the young squad will be tough to beat.

I agree.

I doubt he wrote off Queensland. But if it fires up Mal and keeps him on his toes, it is a healthy rumour for all Queenslanders.

onlooker
03-01-11, 02:28 PM
Agreed.....................

titansrawesome
04-01-11, 07:32 AM
to ricky, cool story bro......