PDA

View Full Version : I wasn't drunk, says Gower

Queenslander
20-12-05, 07:18 PM
AUSTRALIAN rugby league halfback Craig Gower has rejected a report he was "as full as Santa's toy sack on Christmas Eve" while at a charity golf event.

The Sunshine Coast Daily newspaper said today Gower competed in yesterday's first round at the two-day Jack Newton Celebrity Golf Classic at Peregian Waters "still feeling the effects of what must have been a heavy Sunday night".

The Penrith skipper arrived at the opening tee and according to the newspaper "put down his Crown Lager for long enough to drill his opening tee shot straight down the middle of the first".

A disappointed Gower today said he had done nothing wrong.

"I'm up here to have a good time and that's it. What, I can't go out and enjoy myself?," he said.

"At the end of the day I am a normal bloke. I'm no better than anybody else.

"As long as I respect others, that's the main thing.

"Just because you turn up with a beer in your hand, that means you're full?"

A Penrith spokesman said the National Rugby League club had not received any complaint.

"The fact that Craig Gower turned up (for the event) when he is on holiday speaks for itself," he said.
"If he had a few drinks the night before he is quite entitled to given he is on holiday and has just finished a very long and hard representative season."

The Golf Classic's publicity consultant Kristy Doyle also said there had been no complaints regarding Gower.

"Craig wasn't the only one with a beer in his hand playing golf yesterday," she said.

"They are all winding down from their heavy schedules. There is no trouble at all and there never has been at these tournaments."

Alcohol consumption in rugby league had come under the microscope after ex-Australian coach Wayne Bennett spoke about binge drinking's affect on the NRL last week.

"I'm sick of the drunks and I'm sick of our game being dragged through every media outlet in the country every time some guy behaves badly," Bennett said.

The Golf Classic ? which concluded today ? has attracted a host of celebrities including Wally Lewis, Wendell Sailor and Alicia Molik.

All money raised by the tournament is donated to Diabetes Australia and the Jack Newton Junior Golf Foundation.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17625342-23214,00.html

Super Cronk
20-12-05, 08:18 PM
Tell you the truth it wouldnt surprise me with gower...but still if he is on holidays he can do what ever he pleases.

DeeGan
20-12-05, 08:31 PM
Slow news day for one "journalist" it seems.

DeeGan

Moejoe
20-12-05, 08:34 PM
To me Amature Golf is not amature golf without a few beers during the 18. But I do find it hard to believe that some one of Gowers Celebrity, Would be so silly as to "Go over boared with the drink" infront of a media presence.

Queenslander
20-12-05, 09:13 PM
Slow news day for one "journalist" it seems.

It seems that way doesnt it! ;) What a big surprise a footy player that drinks :laugh:

Titanium_BD1103
20-12-05, 09:16 PM
Geez.. it is Holiday season.. if I was on the golf course with a beer in my hand I wouldn't be pinged now would I.. or else I would be front page news.. I do it quite often if I am not driving there.. :D :D.. well on the golf courses where they allow you to do it.

But yeah.. agree with Queenslander and Deegan on this one.. must have been a slow day.. Gower was not intoxicated.. he didn't act like a fool.. so why should he be victimised in the media.. IMO.. the media needs to go on Christmas break already... no need to publish this sort of dribble.. :D :D

Dakink
21-12-05, 06:48 AM
That journo should be strung up. What a poor piece of sensationalism and an absolute fabrication. I hope one of the players\clubs sues the pants of this type of journalism one day. Of course he can have a drinnk playing golf if he wants - he could be as sloshed as a nit if he wanted to. He is on holidays, it aint illegal and he didnt hurt anybody.

this journalist is a .... I wont finsih that.

League Freak
21-12-05, 03:33 PM
If I was a player these days I would have said "Yeah, I was drunk, now **** off". :emp:

Super Cronk
21-12-05, 05:52 PM
As reported on channel 10...they said that gower "groped" wayne pearce's daughter...and that wayne is, and i quote "fuming" over the incident. Gower is also accused of crashing a golf cart which he has agreed to pay for the damages and also reported saying that gower tried to pick a fight with wayne pearce's son mitchell.

Queenslander
21-12-05, 06:06 PM
As reported on channel 10...they said that gower "groped" wayne pearce's daughter...and that wayne is, and i quote "fuming" over the incident. Gower is also accused of crashing a golf cart which he has agreed to pay for the damages and also reported saying that gower tried to pick a fight with wayne pearce's son mitchell.

Channel 9 has also stated that he was walking around the golf course naked at night. The reason for his drinking was a bucks night/s for himself before he gets married.

Super Cronk
21-12-05, 06:11 PM
Channel 9 has also stated that he was walking around the golf course naked at night. The reason for his drinking was a bucks night/s for himself before he gets married.

Yeah but apprently this happened over a number of days...plus there is no reason or excuse to grope a women(if he infact did it...im not saying he did but thats what he is accused of)...so i hope he doesnt use that as an excuse.

And lets not forget this isnt the first time gower has done something similar to this( http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/stories/s22608.htm) ....i myself have even witnessed some not so nice incidents involving gower(which i WONT go into).

Queenslander
21-12-05, 06:13 PM
Yeah but apprently this happened over a number of days...plus there is no reason or excuse to grope a women...so i hope he doesnt use that as an excuse.

And lets not forget this isnt the first time gower has done something similar to this( http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/stories/s22608.htm) ....i myself have even witnessed some not so nice incidents involving gower(which i WONT go into).

Yeah he shouldnt have any excuse for this type of behaviour. I was beginning to think this was a media beat-up but its amazing how the facts are suddenly coming out.

Dakink
21-12-05, 07:22 PM
If he has in fact involved himself in that type of behaviour then he should have the book thrown at him - the sooner the NRL starts ripping up contracts for a year or two (similar to what the NFL does) then the quicker the players will get the message. I mean how dumb is to try and grope Wayne Pierce's daughter FFS!

DeeGan
21-12-05, 08:29 PM
This story is gathering some momentum...

Again, I will choose not to comment as the man in question Craig Gower is still innocent until proven guilty and we have yet to hear his response to these fresh allegations.

DeeGan

Queenslander
21-12-05, 08:31 PM
The momentum builds......

PENRITH halfback Craig Gower is at the centre of another alcohol-fuelled incident in rugby league, with allegations the international footballer groped the daughter of a prominent former player after a charity golf event.

Gower was at the presentation dinner for the Jack Newton Celebrity Golf Classic at Peregian Waters in the Sunshine Coast when the alleged incident occurred.

Channel 9 reported the 27-year-old had groped the woman and later became involved in separate heated altercations with both the former player and his son.

It was further alleged that Gower ? who was thrown out of the Australian rugby league team for exposing himself to a tourist in 1999 and fined $3000 for breaking a New South Wales rugby league curfew last year ? was kicked out of the official function, had walked around the resort naked and crashed a golf cart.

Gower did not return calls today but yesterday strenuously denied any wrongdoing.

"I'm up here to have a good time and that's it. What, I can't go out and enjoy myself?" he said.

"As long as I respect others, that's the main thing."

Today his stance had altered somewhat, admitting in a statement he had pushed the boundaries on Monday night.

In the same statement tournament host Jack Newton said "unfortunately Craig Gower probably crossed the line on one occasion" but described the allegations as unsubstantiated.
Alcohol consumption in rugby league had come under the microscope after ex-Australian coach Wayne Bennett spoke about binge drinking's affect on the NRL last week.

"I'm sick of the drunks and I'm sick of our game being dragged through every media outlet in the country every time some guy behaves badly," Bennett said.

Footage on Nine recorded event emcee Billy J Smith asking Gower about alcohol on the recent Kangaroo tour to Great Britain and France.

"What about this drinking they reckon has been happening over there?" Smith asked.

Gower's first words were beeped out and he continued: "I'm just trying to get into it now."

Penrith football manager Mick Leary said the club would conduct a full investigation into the alleged incidents and would have a finding by year's end.

"Put it this way ? my holidays are gone," Leary said.

"I will put recommendations to the Panthers board for their final decision."

Leary would not confirm if Gower would be sacked if some or all of the allegations proved correct but he made it clear that even if the player was supposedly on a break he was still representing the club.

"Players sign a contract that starts on the first of November and finishes on the thirtieth of October," Leary said.

"They have an NRL contract and I believe they are then representing their club and the NRL for that period of time."

"It's like with any business. When is your down time, when is your free time? I suppose you've got plenty of it as long as you don't go and run out and do something stupid with it."

The NRL tonight backed Penrith's investigation with a spokesperson saying the body would wait until the club passed down its findings before commenting specifically.

Gower's manager Greg Willett tonight described Gower as a "great role model".

"He just denies it. He said that's not how it was. I can only vouch for his character," Willett said.

"It was his bucks night. Everyone was buying him beers and that, he had two days of a bucks party and things like that."

Bennett, who stood down as Australian coach earlier this month, had blasted the drinking culture in rugby league saying it was destroying the game and was the source of an upsurge in player misbehaviour.

"Our game has never been in more disrepute in the last three years because of player behaviour," he said.

"And if coaches and journalists and officials think that we can continue to have a culture in our game of drinking to excess than they live in fairy world."

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17634411-23214,00.html

League Freak
21-12-05, 09:14 PM
Thats something else all together. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Social Loafer
21-12-05, 09:24 PM
Surely Gower isn't that dumb? He's engaged to Amanda Fynn right? Why would you want to stuff that up by groping a club legends daughter of all people?????

Anyway I won't comment on Gower until he is proven to have done something/ been cleared, unfortunetly the Media tends to have a guilty until proven innocent system...

Super Cronk
21-12-05, 10:37 PM
Surely Gower isn't that dumb?

you better believe it.

Super Cronk
22-12-05, 12:02 AM
On foxsports they said that wayne's daughter is 17 years old. No wonder wayne was "fuming"

Queenslander
22-12-05, 08:56 AM
On foxsports they said that wayne's daughter is 17 years old. No wonder wayne was "fuming"

:nope: If that is true the police should become involved and none of these internal club "investigations". However Gower is still innocent until proven guilty.

Kingytek
22-12-05, 08:58 AM
:nope: If that is true the police should become involved and none of these internal club "investigations". However Gower is still innocent until proven guilty.

Unfortunatly with the media and NRL it's guilty until proven innocent!

Queenslander
22-12-05, 08:59 AM
Unfortunatly with the media and NRL it's guilty until proven innocent!

Actually its only the media and the public that does this. If the NRL did this practice than alot of players will be getting banned ;).

Kingytek
22-12-05, 09:02 AM
I mean when it comes to the media, anyone in NRL in trouble it's guilty before proven innocent

Queenslander
22-12-05, 09:06 AM
I mean when it comes to the media, anyone in NRL in trouble it's guilty before proven innocent

Right got you now :) and yes you are right ;) Its a shame that this reputation is present in rugby league :mad:

Super Cronk
22-12-05, 09:20 AM

Thats bullcrap!

People have complained about something gower has done and the media is only reporting on what they have been told! they havent said he is guilty...show me where a media outlet has said those exact words "gower is guilty" or "gower definately did this", show me where they said it.

There were many witnesses to the things he did...the media only reporting what the witnesses have seen.

Here are some words used by media in the past day or two:

PENRITH Panthers star Craig Gower has been accused of a string of misbehaviour

PENRITH halfback Craig Gower is at the centre of another alcohol-fuelled incident in rugby league, with allegations the international footballer groped the daughter of a prominent former player after a charity golf event.

As you can see the media have not said he is guilty.

Lets focus on the real issue instead of blaming everyone else. If these allegations are true..then he should be punished like any other person would be.

Kingytek
22-12-05, 09:32 AM
Thats bullcrap!

People have complained about something gower has done and the media is only reporting on what they have been told! they havent said he is guilty...show me where a media outlet has said those exact words "gower is guilty" or "gower definately did this", show me where they said it.

There were many witnesses to the things he did...the media only reporting what the witnesses have seen.

Here are some words used by media in the past day or two:

As you can see the media have not said he is guilty.

Lets focus on the real issue instead of blaming everyone else. If these allegations are true..then he should be punished like any other person would be.

Cronk - Again, you have taken something I've said persoanlly against this specific incident. I was just saying unfortuantly with media, e.g bulldogs scandals, Newcastle scandals etc it all hits the media before police reports are conducted and they tend to publicise the negative in a big way. No where did I say Gower was guilty blah blah blah. Esspecially when I dont know facts, Im hardly in a position to make such comments. This is the second time in just a few days you have gone over the top and made unessesary negative coments toward me, is there something you want to get off your chest, is there a problem?

Super Cronk
22-12-05, 09:38 AM
Cronk - Again, you have taken something I've said persoanlly against this specific incident. I was just saying unfortuantly with media, e.g bulldogs scandals, Newcastle scandals etc it all hits the media before police reports are conducted and they tend to publicise the negative in a big way. No where did I say Gower was guilty blah blah blah. Esspecially when I dont know facts, Im hardly in a position to make such comments. This is the second time in just a few days you have gone over the top and made unessesary negative coments toward me, is there something you want to get off your chest, is there a problem?

I havent taken it personally mate, and there was no negative comments(i dont know where got that from?). Its the media's job to report on these matters.

And i didnt say that YOU said he was guilty, you said the "MEDIA has proven him guilty" which is false. They have not. They have only reported on what they have been told by witnessess all be it false or true.

I dont have a problem and my post wasnt in anyway negative towards you....its called debate. We are discussing the issue at hand....if your offended by the word bullcrap....then..... :whatd:

Kingytek
22-12-05, 09:40 AM
I havent taken it personally mate, and there was no negative comments(i dont know where got that from?). Its the media's job to report on these matters.

And i didnt say that YOU said he was guilty, you said the "MEDIA has proven him guilty" which is false. They have not. They have only reported on what they have been told by witnessess all be it false or true.

I dont have a problem and my post wasnt in anyway negative towards you....its called debate. We are discussing the issue at hand....if your offended by the word bullcrap....then..... :whatd:

Please highlight for me where I said MEDIA has proven him guilty

Super Cronk
22-12-05, 09:42 AM

From the above it looks as tho you are saying the media have already proven gower to be guilty.

Which agian is false. They are reporting on what they have been told.

Kingytek
22-12-05, 09:44 AM
From the above it looks as tho you are saying the media have already proven gower to be guilty.

Which agian is false. They are reporting on what they have been told.

Again - Please highlight for me where I said MEDIA has proven him guilty

Kingytek
22-12-05, 09:46 AM
Futhermore, if you are going to be a moderator within these forums then I suggest you take more care in quoting forum users etc.

E.G "MEDIA has proven him guilty"

Super Cronk
22-12-05, 09:47 AM
Again - Please highlight for me where I said MEDIA has proven him guilty

Ok you didnt say it in those exact words with all the capital letters...but agian for the visualy impaired:

Its the exact same thing.

Kingytek
22-12-05, 09:50 AM
If you say so! Good luck with that whole moderator thing.

DeeGan
22-12-05, 10:00 AM
Get the thread back on track from this point onward.

Kingytek, if you have a problem a member of the moderator team contact myself via PM or email to discuss. Bringing it to the open forum brings nothing positive to the debate your having.

BTW, a post like this is not needed: "Futhermore, if you are going to be a moderator within these forums then I suggest you take more care in quoting forum users etc." I will look after in-house forum issues ;) Again, if you have a issue with a member or one of the moderators let me know about it - being perceived as a forum cop is not something I would be encouraging from a member.

Thanks

DeeGan

Super Cronk
22-12-05, 10:02 AM
and on that note:

GOWER INVESTIGATION TO TAKE SEVERAL DAYS

Source: Panthers.com.au

Dec 22 ? Penrith?s general manager for Rugby League, Mick Leary, said today that it will take at least several days to complete an inquiry into allegations about the behaviour of Craig Gower during a charity golf tournament on the Sunshine Coast earlier this week.

Craig took part in the tournament while on holiday.

?Until our investigation is complete there is nothing more I can say,? Mick said.

Super Cronk
22-12-05, 10:04 AM
and on that note:

GOWER INVESTIGATION TO TAKE SEVERAL DAYS

Source: Panthers.com.au

Dec 22 ? Penrith?s general manager for Rugby League, Mick Leary, said today that it will take at least several days to complete an inquiry into allegations about the behaviour of Craig Gower during a charity golf tournament on the Sunshine Coast earlier this week.

Craig took part in the tournament while on holiday.

?Until our investigation is complete there is nothing more I can say,? Mick said.

In the article it says "....during a charity golf tournament on the Sunshine Coast earlier this week." But supposedly the alleged groping and other incidents took place the 2 nights before....

Kingytek
22-12-05, 10:06 AM
Get the thread back on track from this point onward.

Kingytek, if you have a problem a member of the moderator team contact myself via PM or email to discuss. Bringing it to the open forum brings nothing positive to the debate your having.

BTW, a post like this is not needed: "Futhermore, if you are going to be a moderator within these forums then I suggest you take more care in quoting forum users etc." I will look after in-house forum issues ;) Again, if you have a issue with a member or one of the moderators let me know about it - being perceived as a forum cop is not something I would be encouraging from a member.

Thanks

DeeGan

No worries ;)

Queenslander
22-12-05, 10:28 AM
PENRITH Panthers star Craig Gower has been accused of a string of misbehaviour including harassing the 17-year-old daughter of league legend Wayne Pearce.

Just three weeks before his marriage to long-time girlfriend Amanda Flynn, a regular Footy Show (NRL) guest, the Penrith star has been caught in a major controversy.

The allegations include throwing a knife at other guests during a dinner, harassing the partner of a high-profile journalist, harassing Pearce's daughter as well as being drunk during a golf tournament, damaging a golf cart and being nude on the course at the Twin Waters Resort on the Sunshine Coast.

Gower allegedly misbehaved in Queensland while celebrating his bucks week and playing in the Jack Newton Celebrity Golf Tournament.

Pearce reportedly confronted Gower the next morning after the alleged incident involving his daughter. Pearce offered "no comment" when contacted last night.

Penrith Football Club has launched an investigation into Gower's behaviour.

Jack Newton issued a statement last night in which he said: "Unfortunately Craig Gower probably crossed the line on one occasion and has instigated a media circus around what are essentially unsubstantiated allegations."

Gower's manager Greg Willett defended his client last night.

"He denies it, he says that's not how it was. I can only vouch for his character," Mr Willett said.

"It was his bucks week, everyone was buying him beers, he had two days of the bucks party and things like that."
Penrith general manager Mick Leary has already started the investigation and said the matter would be referred to the club board, while the NRL has also asked for a report.

"We'll be conducting inquiries with as many people involved in the incident as possible,'' Mr Leary said.

"Once a full investigation is complete it will be referred to the board who will make a decision.

"I've spoken to Craig to inform him of the decision to launch an investigation and he's accepted that. We won't be taking a statement from him until we've spoken to witnesses."

A Queensland police spokesman said the service had not received any complaints and could not act.

Gower was kicked off the Australia team in 1999 after exposing himself to a backpacker at Sydney's Coogee Bay Hotel.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17636337-23214,00.html

Queenslander
22-12-05, 10:40 AM
I wasnt there so i cant say if Gower actually did anything listed in the above article. But Queensland Police state that the service had not received any complaints and could not act.

Now if I was Wayne Pearce I would be getting the police involved ASAP especially if any of the events occured to his daughter. That is the part that I dont understand, the police are not doing investigations but the Penrith Panthers are!!!! It just doesnt make sense to me

Titanium_BD1103
22-12-05, 11:09 AM
This is an interesting one.. but like Deegan I will keep quiet until the full details are out.. it seems though this story is more true than before, Wayne Pearce is not one to backstab people.. then once again we have an issue and we will have to apologise to the reporter we all took shots at on Tuesday.. ;)

Steelers
22-12-05, 12:34 PM
I think that 'fine' Sunshine Coast journalist deserves an apology don't you think... ;)

DeeGan
22-12-05, 12:41 PM
I think that 'fine' Sunshine Coast journalist deserves an apology don't you think... ;)

No, not really, the accusations we are now hearing was not made known to us in the opening piece from the journo.

Originally Posted by www.foxsports.com.au
AUSTRALIAN rugby league halfback Craig Gower has rejected a report he was "as full as Santa's toy sack on Christmas Eve" while at a charity golf event.

The Sunshine Coast Daily newspaper said today Gower competed in yesterday's first round at the two-day Jack Newton Celebrity Golf Classic at Peregian Waters "still feeling the effects of what must have been a heavy Sunday night".

The Penrith skipper arrived at the opening tee and according to the newspaper "put down his Crown Lager for long enough to drill his opening tee shot straight down the middle of the first".

A disappointed Gower today said he had done nothing wrong.

"I'm up here to have a good time and that's it. What, I can't go out and enjoy myself?," he said.

"As long as I respect others, that's the main thing.

"Just because you turn up with a beer in your hand, that means you're full?"

A Penrith spokesman said the National Rugby League club had not received any complaint.

"The fact that Craig Gower turned up (for the event) when he is on holiday speaks for itself," he said.

"If he had a few drinks the night before he is quite entitled to given he is on holiday and has just finished a very long and hard representative season."

The Golf Classic's publicity consultant Kristy Doyle also said there had been no complaints regarding Gower.

"Craig wasn't the only one with a beer in his hand playing golf yesterday," she said.

"They are all winding down from their heavy schedules. There is no trouble at all and there never has been at these tournaments."

The Golf Classic ? which concluded today ? has attracted a host of celebrities including Wally Lewis, Wendell Sailor and Alicia Molik.

All money raised by the tournament is donated to Diabetes Australia and the Jack Newton Junior Golf Foundation.

The above is quite harmless which is why members poiked fun at it.

Today though is a hellova' lot different as we all know ;)

DeeGan

Steelers
22-12-05, 12:43 PM
No, not really, the accusations we are now hearing was not made known to us in the opening piece from the journo.

The above is quite harmless which is why members poiked fun at it.

Today though is a hellova' lot different as we all know ;)

DeeGan

:laugh: Just standing up for a fellow Sunshine Coast resident ;)

SuperCliffy#01
22-12-05, 12:52 PM
If Gower was on holidays then i cant see anything wrong, if he can slam a ball down the middle of the fairway pisquallied then i would reccomend all pro golfers gets smashed before a tournament. cya.

DeeGan
22-12-05, 12:56 PM
If Gower was on holidays then i cant see anything wrong, if he can slam a ball down the middle of the fairway pisquallied then i would reccomend all pro golfers gets smashed before a tournament. cya.

I would suggest reading ALL pages in this thread ;)

The above piece I quoted was the opening post, more accusations have been made against Penrith's Craig Gower.

DeeGan

SuperCliffy#01
22-12-05, 01:01 PM
I would suggest reading ALL pages in this thread ;)

The above piece I quoted was the opening post, more accusations have been made against Penrith's Craig Gower.

DeeGan

Oky Doky i will thanks. cya. Merry x-mas.

Queenslander
22-12-05, 01:13 PM
NATIONAL Rugby League chief executive David Gallop says he wants a full investigation from Penrith into allegations halfback Craig Gower groped the daughter of rugby league legend Wayne Pearce at a charity golf event.

Gallop today said he was waiting on a "full report" from the club on the Panthers skipper's behaviour at this week's Jack Newton Celebrity Classic on the Sunshine Coast.

Gower was at the presentation dinner for the event at Twin Waters resort when the alleged incident occurred.

Channel 9 reported that the 27-year-old had groped the woman and later became involved in separate heated altercations with both the former player and his son.

It was further alleged that Gower was kicked out of the official function, had walked around the resort naked and crashed a golf cart.

Gower also reportedly threw a knife at other resort guests before being kicked out of the official function on Sunday night.

"I expect a full investigation from the club and the club has assured us we will get one," Gallop said.

"At the moment we are waiting on a full report from the club."

Penrith football manager Mick Leary is reportedly seeking a meeting with Pearce.

"At the moment I have no comment until I finish the inquiry. I am hoping to do that as quickly as I can," Leary said.
He said the inquiry would take "at least several days to complete".

"Until our investigation is complete there is nothing more I can say," Leary said.

Gower's manager Greg Willett said his client had held his buck's night at the event.

Gower is set to marry long-time girlfriend and rugby league Footy Show regular Amanda "Lady Luck" Flynn in three weeks.

A spokeswoman for the Golf Classic initially said there wasn't any trouble at the event.

"They all get on the drink and it is that time of year where they are winding down from their busy schedules. There's no trouble at all and there never has been at this event," she said.

But tournament host Jack Newton yesterday admitted Gower had "crossed the line".

"Unfortunately Craig Gower probably crossed the line on one occasion and has instigated a media circus around what are essentially unsubstantiated allegations," he said.

Penrith skipper Gower was thrown out of the Australia rugby league team for exposing himself to a tourist in 1999 and fined $3000 for breaking a New South Wales rugby league curfew last year.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17640716-23214,00.html

Super Cronk
22-12-05, 01:31 PM

See this is where some people are getting mixed up.

What he did that is fine:

-drank alcohol.
-played golf whiel maybe being a bit tipsy
-had a bucks WEEK

Thats all fine.

What he allegedly did that is not fine:

-grope a 17 yr old
-throw a knife at someone
- walk around a resort nude
- crashed a golf cart

Queenslander
22-12-05, 01:36 PM

-grope a 17 yr old
- crashed a golf cart

If he indeed did the above then the full force of the law should be applied. No more coverups rugby league fans have had enough of this nonsense.

Titans#1
22-12-05, 01:37 PM
See this is where some people are getting mixed up.

What he did that is fine:

-drank alcohol.
-played golf whiel maybe being a bit tipsy
-had a bucks WEEK

Thats all fine.

-grope a 17 yr old
- crashed a golf cart

IMO what he did and allegedly did both roll into a great bucks night, and would most likely have happened at ANYONES bucks night. Sure, the 17yr old would most likely be replaced with an 18 or 19yr old, but it happens, and until the police are actually investigating the alleged incidents, I don't believe a word of it.

Super Cronk
22-12-05, 01:40 PM
IMO what he did and allegedly did both roll into a great bucks night, and wouls most likely have happened at ANYONES bucks night. Sure, the 17yr old would most likely be replaced with an 18 or 19yr old, but it happens, and untill the police are actually investigating the alleged incidents, I don't believe a word of it.

Well it was a bucks week...this kind of alleged behaviour happen over a several day time frame. ive never been to a bucks night/week but im not sure if many would involved throwing knifes and groping other women...but i dont know ive never been to one.

Im not really saying i believe it or not, but i also think where there is smoke there is fire, esp if you have done similar things in the past.

For the penrith clubs sake i hope they get this worked out soon.

Dakink
22-12-05, 02:00 PM
Having been to a few bucks nights - the only part of the above that I have never seen was the knife throwing, the nudity, groping and cart crashing are far from unusuall. That aside its time the players realise they have a responsibilty as role models to behave in a squeaky clean manner. They may winge and whine about the extra scrutiny and they are probably right - they have a choice though, if they dont like it retire. It's a fact of life in this country that our sporting stars are held in such high regards and under such public scrutiny that they must behave in a maaner which is appropriate, dont like the heat then get out of the fire.

Super Cronk
22-12-05, 02:05 PM
Having been to a few bucks nights - the only part of the above that I have never seen was the knife throwing, the nudity, groping and cart crashing are far from unusuall. That aside its time the players realise they have a responsibilty as role models to behave in a squeaky clean manner. They may winge and whine about the extra scrutiny and they are probably right - they have a choice though, if they dont like it retire. It's a fact of life in this country that our sporting stars are held in such high regards and under such public scrutiny that they must behave in a maaner which is appropriate, dont like the heat then get out of the fire.

Exactly..esp a player who donates so much time and effort into the panthers on the prowl foundation...and those kids really look up to him.

Kingytek
22-12-05, 02:14 PM
Apparently the Police say they cannot act because they haven't recieved any formal complaints. Do you think by allegedly throwing a knife is enough reason to call in the police?
This then has to make you think about how this even occured, has this been an embellishment by the witnesses? Did it fall off his plate and landed on someone?

I just think that if he intentially threw a knife at a person then the Police would have been called in.

Titans#1
22-12-05, 02:17 PM

I have a feeling that the knife throwing was a party game, like pin the tail on the donkey.
As said before, if he threw a knife intentionally, it would have been reported, especially now that all this is being dragged out.

wombat68
22-12-05, 02:50 PM
I don't know why Gower ,with the money he's on,just didn't go rent a 10 acre farm for the week.Gowey could've run around nude until his nuts fell off ,threw knives anywhere he wanted too,get absolutely smashed,hit golf balls in any direction,and hire 10 hookers and grope them......and no one would care. :clap: :satan:

Super Cronk
22-12-05, 06:43 PM
Well tonight on the news dawn fraser come forward as she was at the party...and said "he was chasing him with a bottle"(dawn fraser) when asked about gower trying to fight mitchell pearce.

She also said she was with wayne pearce's daughter the very next morning and she was very upset at what had happen, and wayne was "furious".

Steelers
22-12-05, 06:44 PM
Well tonight on the news dawn fraser come forward as she was at the party...and said "he was chasing him with a bottle"(dawn fraser) when asked about gower trying to fight mitchell pearce.

She also said she was with wayne pearce's daughter the very next morning and she was very upset at what had happen, and wayne was "furious".

She didn't say she was at the party, she said she was at the golf day.

Super Cronk
22-12-05, 06:47 PM
She didn't say she was at the party, she said she was at the golf day.

She siad it happen the night before....i dont know what it is a function/party/ celebration what ever you call them.

So what im trying to say is i assume it was the night before as she said that the next day she was consoling the daughter.

Super Cronk
22-12-05, 06:53 PM
Ah i just checked ninemsn and it says she said the groping took place that night. my apologies...i mis-heard it:

Swimming great Dawn Fraser late Thursday told the Nine Network that she consoled "Junior" Pearce's 17-year-old daughter at a dinner for the Jack Newton Celebrity Golf Classic at Peregian Waters.

She also claimed Gower threatened Pearce's son Mitchell with a bottle at the event where Fraser was also a special guest.

But all the same...chasing someone during the day is no different to at night.

In-Cyde #1
22-12-05, 07:14 PM
This thread was posted at 6.53pm Today, and already 330 have viewed it and 59 repiles have been received. Now 60.

Is Gower guilty? - who knows.
Is the Media guilty? - who knows.
Is the Titans Forum fuelling the fire - you decide.

I am tired of 'knuckle head' footballers who should know how to behave- end of story. And the media (all forms) - who'll say anything to sell a story.

Enough already.

Coaster
22-12-05, 07:23 PM
He can play good football sometimes... :fyi:

i heard that Tom was cheating on Nicole,
I thought this was a football forum, and not 'womens weekly'. I know that sometimes we as the public think that we have a right to these peoples public life, But i dont think we do.

We follow a TEAM, not a player, they come and go, and i am sure as hell if i follow any of you around with a camera long enough i could fill 10 newspapers, the only difference is that people like us are more interested in people like Gower.

Media in Australia and all over the world, is nothing more than an advertisment for choas, and im personaly sick of being bombarded with garbage while the Earth gets destroyed from real issuses.

DeeGan
22-12-05, 07:27 PM
This thread was posted at 6.53pm Today, and already 330 have viewed it and 59 repiles have been received. Now 60.

Is Gower guilty? - who knows.
Is the Media guilty? - who knows.
Is the Titans Forum fuelling the fire - you decide.

I am tired of 'knuckle head' footballers who should know how to behave- end of story. And the media (all forms) - who'll say anything to sell a story.

Enough already.

In-Clyde #1

You have one of two options in relation to this topic:

1. Discuss the topic at hand or

2. Ignore the thread and let it run it's own course with the knowledge the moderator team will ensure the 'fuel' being added to the fire is within reason.

Members of this forum have every right to discuss/debate this issue as more details come to hand (not suggesting you have alluded to the fact they cannot) - this is the very reason rugby league forums exist, to discuss topics/issues at hand on and off the field.

Is the Titans Forum adding fuel to the fire? No. We are though providing an avenue where the rugby league fan can air his or her opinion on this topic as are 99% of the forums (if not all) out there are as well. The majority of posts in this thread are on track and will continue to be until the issue is put to bed.

DeeGan

Titanium_BD1103
22-12-05, 07:33 PM
Well after hearing all that has happened and hearing that Levy is headed up to the Coast to launch an investigation.. I am ashamed at Craig Gower for these actions... which are looking at being more true... this is disgraceful behaviour... yes playing with a drink is ok.. but groping innocent girls and abusing people is not on.. :(

He is a footballer.. and he should know better and before the forever trotted out speel comes out about how footballers should behave in public.. I will not say that but say this.. :)

IF THIS WAS TO OCCUR and was done by any member of the General Public.. severe punishment would result... it is not right for ANYONE to act like this to another person.. I don't care if they are a footballer or not.. IT IS NOT ON.. :( :( :(

DeeGan
22-12-05, 07:36 PM
"Innocent until proven guilty" Bulldog_Titan311 - tread carefully in what your typing on this topic ;)

DeeGan

Titanium_BD1103
22-12-05, 07:37 PM
Yes forgot about that... sorry... I will refrain from saying anymore till it is proven.. :D :D

Dakink
22-12-05, 07:44 PM
Like I said I have my backside firmly planted on the most massivest fence until either the NRL have the full report in their hands or the police release some findings. Till then it could be rumour and innuendo - it could be truth who knows.

Super Cronk
23-12-05, 08:50 AM
Like I said I have my backside firmly planted on the most massivest fence until either the NRL have the full report in their hands or the police release some findings. Till then it could be rumour and innuendo - it could be truth who knows.

agreed. BUT...after dawn fraser has came out as a witness i know which way im leaning.

Dakink
23-12-05, 08:55 AM
agreed. BUT...after dawn fraser has came out as a witness i know which way im leaning.

Even then Ill wait until the police\NRL report is done - wouldnt be the first time someone thought they saw something happen but it was actually something else.

Super Cronk
23-12-05, 09:00 AM
Even then Ill wait until the police\NRL report is done - wouldnt be the first time someone thought they saw something happen but it was actually something else.

True but those people have something to gain..where as dawn doesnt, from what i can gather, plus dawn is a very respected women who i wouldnt see making up this type of thing. But like you i will wait untill an "internal investigation" is done (and we all know how internal investigations work out in rugby league :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ).

Queenslander
23-12-05, 09:36 AM
OLYMPIC champion Dawn Fraser said yesterday that Penrith captain Craig Gower was "drunk and out of control" on the night he is alleged to have groped a teenage girl.

Gower, who is marrying NRL Footy Show regular Amanda Flynn in three weeks, had been celebrating his buck's weekend.

Panthers chief executive Mick Leary yesterday flew to the Sunshine Coast to interview witnesses, as part of the club's investigation.

Leary will quiz resort staff on what they saw.

He will also try to speak to Pearce and his family, who are holidaying on the Sunshine Coast. Pearce and his son Mitchell confronted Gower over the alleged misconduct.

Fraser last night told Channel 9 Pearce "was furious, absolutely furious" over Gower's behaviour towards his children.

"Gower chased (Mitchell) with a bottle," she said. "People saw it and thought, 'What on Earth is happening'.

"I think he should apologise to Junior's (Pearce's) daughter."

Gower refused to comment when approached outside his single-storey Glenmore Park home yesterday morning.

Instead he and model fiancee Amanda Flynn sped from their quiet cul-de-sac street in a Porsche four-wheel drive.
Leary, an 18-year veteran of the New South Wales police service, is due back in Penrith tonight.

He has spoken to Gower, but is yet to formally interview the Panther's highest-paid star.

Gower was dropped from the Australia Test team in 1999 after exposing himself to a tourist, and was fined $3000 for breaking curfew on last year's NSW State of Origin camp.

While it is possible the 27-year-old international could have his rich contract terminated, some club insiders are confident he will survive.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said he was awaiting a "full report" of Gower's behaviour before sanctions were handed down.
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17644135-23214,00.html

This is just a bit of extra info on this story. Its interesting to read the some club insiders are confident that Gower will survive. Either he hasnt done anything or he is going to get away with it. Hopefully its the first case.

Super Cronk
23-12-05, 09:40 AM
This is just a bit of extra info on this story. Its interesting to read the some club insiders are confident that Gower will survive. Either he hasnt done anything or he is going to get away with it. Hopefully its the first case.

They are confident because its an inside investigation. No details will be released to the media....we will all be kept in the dark and be told "gower did nothing wrong". And if he is found guilty(HAHAHA) by his club then the worst thing that will happen is he may have the captaincy stripped and get a fine...no way they are going to sack their best player.

thats why the police should be doing an investigation. I find it hard to understand why noone would complain to the cops if someone had done what they allege gower of doing..

Queenslander
23-12-05, 09:44 AM
They are confident because its an inside investigation. No details will be released to the media....we will all be kept in the dark and be told "gower did nothing wrong". And if he is found guilty(HAHAHA) by his club then the worst thing that will happen is he may have the captaincy stripped and get a fine...no way they are going to sack their best player.

:angry: i hate these sort of things....Everyone except the police know about the events that possibly occured! If any of the events did occur to non rugby league player im sure the police would have become involved.

And you are right super cronk if he is found guilty(HAHAHA) :laugh: he will just get a public slap on the wrist and given community service similar to Minichello

Kingytek
23-12-05, 10:04 AM

Dawn is no stranger to disobedience, she shouldn't be quick to judge others!
Dont get me wrong Cronk as I mean know disrespect to our beloved Dawn as she served Australia well but she has been in the spotlight for things other then swimming. -> http://www.wesleymission.org.au/reachout2000/sermons/fraser.asp

Apparently she didnt see any alledged groping, but she did see him behaving badly, she only found out about the groping the next day after talking with the girl(who was very upset)

It should be interesting to see how far this goes in the way of sackings etc as has just signed a 5yr deal and I'm not sure if they have many halves out that way. Maybe it's just been a slow few weeks in the way of rugby league news and maybe it will die down. I guess only time will tell.

Super Cronk
23-12-05, 10:13 AM
Dawn is no stranger to disobedience, she shouldn't be quick to judge others!
Dont get me wrong Cronk as I mean know disrespect to our beloved Dawn as she served Australia well but she has been in the spotlight for things other then swimming. -> http://www.wesleymission.org.au/reachout2000/sermons/fraser.asp

Apparently she didnt see any alledged groping, but she did see him behaving badly, she only found out about the groping the next day after talking with the girl(who was very upset)

It should be interesting to see how far this goes in the way of sackings etc as has just signed a 5yr deal and I'm not sure if they have many halves out that way. Maybe it's just been a slow few weeks in the way of rugby league news and maybe it will die down. I guess only time will tell.

Yeah i didnt say she witnessed the groping but she did see him acting like and idiot.

Ok i read that link...and i read most of it and it seems her troubles were back in the day...plus smacking someone in the face with a pillow and wearing white instead of green isnt all that bad, but yes she has done some stupid stuff while being drunk....but again that was a long time ago she has obviously matured a hell of alot since then..and if she says she saw something then so be it, what she did years ago doesnt mean she is making the gower claims up (not saying you said that). But her claims should be taken seriously.

Kingytek
23-12-05, 10:16 AM
Yeah i didnt say she witnessed the groping but she did see him acting like and idiot.

Ok i read that link...and i read most of it and it seems her troubles were back in the day...plus smacking someone in the face with a pillow and wearing white instead of green isnt all that bad, but yes she has done some stupid stuff while being drunk....but again that was a long time ago she has obviously matured a hell of alot since then..and if she says she saw something then so be it, what she did years ago doesnt mean she is making the gower claims up (not saying you said that). But her claims should be taken seriously.

All very true. Im just saying she shouldn't be too quick too judge thats all. No big deal

Dakink
23-12-05, 10:27 AM
This thread has now runs its course and to save anyone putting their feet firmly between their teeth - Im closing this thread.

Until the official report comes out there will be plenty of rehashes of the same material. If any NEW news comes to the fore PM it to myself and Ill post it.

Dakink
23-12-05, 12:18 PM
After a valid point was raised from a member we have decided to re-open this thread with a reminder to all members of their duty of care when posting.

Please re read the member guide lines to remind yourselves of your responsibilities.

This thread will be closely monitered.

Queenslander
23-12-05, 01:09 PM
BESIEGED Australia halfback Craig Gower is considering legal action over allegations that he groped rugby league legend Wayne Pearce's daughter at a Sunshine Coast charity event.

The Penrith skipper is "quite upset" about various claims that have emerged after his appearance at this week's Jack Newton Celebrity Golf Classic at Peregian Waters.

Penrith chief executive Glenn Matthews said today he had spoken to Gower and the "very concerned" Panthers No.7 was considering his legal options.

"I know he has appointed a solicitor. He is quite upset about some of the things being said," he said.

"I spoke to him briefly yesterday. We did not discuss any details but he believes things have been blown out of proportion.

"He's not feeling very well. He is quite concerned.

"It's probably a natural reaction when you see things said about you.

"I think some of it is certainly not true. It's not very nice what is being alleged."

Panthers football manager Mick Leary and operations chief Peter Mulholland will fly back from Maroochydore to Sydney tonight after speaking with the holidaying Pearce family as part of an investigation that will not be completed until the New Year.

"My understanding is that Mick has (spoken to Pearce) but I'm not in a position to comment on that at the moment," Matthews said.
"We are gathering all the information and once we have done that we will sit down and talk with Craig again."

Gower is also accused of chasing Pearce's son Mitchell as well as throwing a piece of cutlery at dinner guests after the Classic and damaging a golf cart.

The Classic coincided with Gower's bucks celebrations - he is due to marry media personality Amanda Flynn in three weeks.

Matthews said Leary would seek a one-on-one talk with Dawn Fraser after the swimming legend told Channel 9 last night that she consoled Pearce's daughter Tatum and saw Gower chase Mitchell around a table at the charity dinner.

"We take everything into account. Mick is endeavouring to speak to Dawn directly," he said.

But Matthews said of Fraser's claim: "It's one thing consoling somebody but did she see things first hand?"

Matthews admitted many allegations could have been blown out of proportion.

"I heard a Sydney radio station that covered the golf event was defending Craig over the allegation that he threw knives," he said.

"The radio station announcer said he was there and that it (the claim) was absolutely ridiculous."

Charity golf tournament host Jack Newton said of the Gower allegations: "Once again we've got a witch hunt on a football player, much of which is hearsay."

Matthews said possible penalties for Gower would be suspension or fining him up to one quarter of his lucrative annual salary.

"We haven't really thought about that apart from looking at what the NRL player's contract says - we are a long way off thinking about those sorts of things," he said.

"We've got our own code of conduct in place. When people make allegations we have an investigation period.

"We've got to make sure the process is transparent and that natural justice is served."

But Matthews agreed that Gower was still representing the club at the charity event despite being on holiday after Australia's the failed Tri-Nations campaign in the UK.

"I don't think in any high profile position you are ever out of the public view - you are always on show," he said.

"It's the public that really pays your wage. You are never off duty.

"You have responsibilities to yourself, your club and the code itself."

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17650074-23214,00.html

Queenslander
23-12-05, 01:16 PM
NRL players on holidays always seem to attract media attention. In this case we have had one small story of public drunkiness turn into knife throwing, groping, damage of public property and public nudity. Now possible legal action against the media. This snowball affect will hopefully subside soon, and the best way to stop it is the truth from the horses mouth....Gower. No internal investigations, no coverups; just the truth.

Kingytek
23-12-05, 02:37 PM
Gower considers legal action
By Laine Clark
December 23, 2005

BESIEGED Australia halfback Craig Gower is considering legal action over allegations that he groped rugby league legend Wayne Pearce's daughter at a Sunshine Coast charity event.

The Penrith skipper is "quite upset" about various claims that have emerged after his appearance at this week's Jack Newton Celebrity Golf Classic at Peregian Waters.

Penrith chief executive Glenn Matthews said today he had spoken to Gower and the "very concerned" Panthers No.7 was considering his legal options.

"I know he has appointed a solicitor. He is quite upset about some of the things being said," he said.

"I spoke to him briefly yesterday. We did not discuss any details but he believes things have been blown out of proportion.

"He's not feeling very well. He is quite concerned.

"It's probably a natural reaction when you see things said about you.

"I think some of it is certainly not true. It's not very nice what is being alleged."

Panthers football manager Mick Leary and operations chief Peter Mulholland will fly back from Maroochydore to Sydney tonight after speaking with the holidaying Pearce family as part of an investigation that will not be completed until the New Year.

"My understanding is that Mick has (spoken to Pearce) but I'm not in a position to comment on that at the moment," Matthews said.

"We are gathering all the information and once we have done that we will sit down and talk with Craig again."

Gower is also accused of chasing Pearce's son Mitchell as well as throwing a piece of cutlery at dinner guests after the Classic and damaging a golf cart.

The Classic coincided with Gower's bucks celebrations - he is due to marry media personality Amanda Flynn in three weeks.

Matthews said Leary would seek a one-on-one talk with Dawn Fraser after the swimming legend told Channel 9 last night that she consoled Pearce's daughter Tatum and saw Gower chase Mitchell around a table at the charity dinner.

"We take everything into account. Mick is endeavouring to speak to Dawn directly," he said.

But Matthews said of Fraser's claim: "It's one thing consoling somebody but did she see things first hand?"

Matthews admitted many allegations could have been blown out of proportion.

"I heard a Sydney radio station that covered the golf event was defending Craig over the allegation that he threw knives," he said.

"The radio station announcer said he was there and that it (the claim) was absolutely ridiculous."

Charity golf tournament host Jack Newton said of the Gower allegations: "Once again we've got a witch hunt on a football player, much of which is hearsay."

Matthews said possible penalties for Gower would be suspension or fining him up to one quarter of his lucrative annual salary.

"We haven't really thought about that apart from looking at what the NRL player's contract says - we are a long way off thinking about those sorts of things," he said.

"We've got our own code of conduct in place. When people make allegations we have an investigation period.

"We've got to make sure the process is transparent and that natural justice is served."

But Matthews agreed that Gower was still representing the club at the charity event despite being on holiday after Australia's the failed Tri-Nations campaign in the UK.

"I don't think in any high profile position you are ever out of the public view - you are always on show," he said.

"It's the public that really pays your wage. You are never off duty.

"You have responsibilities to yourself, your club and the code itself."
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17650074-23214,00.html

The plot thickens

Dakink
23-12-05, 02:48 PM
The plot thickens

Those splinters are feeling awesome about now...

Queenslander
23-12-05, 07:16 PM
Dec 23 - Penrith's General Manager for Rugby League, Mick Leary, returned to Sydney today after carrying out the first part of his inquiry into allegations about the behaviour of Craig Gower.

While on the Sunshine Coast he interviewed a number of people about incidents which are alleged to have occurred during and after a charity golf tournament which Gower attended while on holidays.

Leary still has a number of inquiries to make and, because of the start of the holiday season, cannot be certain how long it will take to get around to everyone. He expects it to take at least several more days.

Until his investigation has been finalised he will not be making any statements
http://www.panthers.com.au/default.aspx?id=3&ArticleID=4

This seems to be the end of the story for the time being. Hopefully the results from the "investigation" are released before the new year.

wombat68
24-12-05, 06:00 AM
can't wait for the wedding,the reception should be good for a coupla nudey runs at least. :thumbsup:

Queenslander
28-12-05, 04:39 PM
Some new information:

Panthers General Manager Rugby League, Michael Leary, has finalised his report into allegations about the conduct of Craig Gower at a recent charity golf tournament.

He will present it to the Chairman of the Board tomorrow.

Earlier today, Gower issued the following statement:

"With regard to an incident at Twin Waters last Monday, December 19, to the extent that I have caused the Pearce family any discomfort I unreservedly apologise. - Craig Gower."

http://www.panthers.com.au/default.aspx?id=3&ArticleID=6

Queenslander
29-12-05, 04:26 PM
RUGBY league legend Wayne Pearce says he has accepted Craig Gower's "unreserved" apology after allegations of drunken behaviour by the Penrith captain at a Sunshine Coast charity event.

Pearce also ruled out taking any action against Gower, who was accused of groping the Balmain great's 17-year-old daughter Tatum at last week's Jack Newton Celebrity Golf Classic after-party.

Gower was also accused of chasing Pearce's 16-year-old son Mitchell with a bottle at the Classic held at Twin Waters Resort.

The Australia halfback yesterday broke his silence, "unreservedly" apologising to Pearce's family as his NRL club Penrith prepared to decide his immediate future.

The Penrith board is expected to meet "in the next week" to decide whether to penalise Gower after Panthers football manager Mick Leary today handed his report on the allegations to chairman Barry Walsh.

Pearce had also kept a low profile since the allegations emerged but today said he was satisfied with Gower's apology.

"I accept his apology and that is all I am saying basically," he said.

Asked if he would take the matter further, Pearce said: "No.

"I've got no comment on anything else and that has been my stance all along so I am not starting now.
"The only people I have spoken to are Penrith and that's it."

After Leary tabled his report on Gower this morning, a Panthers spokesman said Walsh would call a board meeting "as soon as possible" to decide Gower's fate.

"No statements will be made until after that meeting," the spokesman said in a statement.

Gower was also alleged to have had arguments with several guests, damaged a golf cart, held a butter knife to the throat of a Sydney radio personality and walked naked around the Twin Waters Resort.

Gower yesterday finally responded to the allegations with a one sentence statement.

"With regard to an incident at Twin Waters last Monday, December 19, to the extent that I have caused the Pearce family any discomfort, I unreservedly apologise," he said.

Leary said Walsh would call a meeting as soon as all nine board members could be located.

But in an encouraging sign for Gower, Leary predicted the matter to be dealt with swiftly.

"Hopefully the meeting will be held in the next week so we can all move on," Leary said.

"I've got full confidence in the board to decide the matter very quickly.

"Barry's got to get into contact with all the board members who are on holiday and all around the place - we don't know what they are doing."

Penrith chief executive Glenn Matthews said Gower could be fined up to a quarter of his annual salary - around $100,000 - if allegations were proven correct.

Matthews said Gower would be called before the board if the hierarchy believed the halfback had a "case to answer".

Leary and operations chief Peter Mulholland completed the investigation after visiting the Maroochydore resort that hosted the event and holding interviews with event guests including Dawn Fraser.

The swimming great claimed she had consoled Tatum and witnessed Gower chasing Mitchell around a table at the after-party.

Fraser yesterday said Gower's apology was "not good enough".

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17683523-23214,00.html

Super Cronk
29-12-05, 07:36 PM
you watch the panthers will still find him not guilty.

Queenslander
30-12-05, 09:34 AM
Now here come the excuses :nope:

Gower says he can't remember

PENRITH captain Craig Gower pleaded alcoholic amnesia when confronted by allegations of his behaviour at a golf day in Queensland.

Despite apologising on Wednesday to league legend Wayne Pearce, Gower initially said he had no memory of it when faced with a list of allegations that included groping Pearce's 17-year-old daughter.

"I can't remember anything," Gower said when challenged by witnesses the morning after the incidents.

Pearce yesterday broke his silence, revealing he had forgiven Gower. "I've accepted the apology," he said.

"I don't drink beer but I would have a drink with him if I bumped into him.

"I've got no problem with him - apology accepted."

The Balmain hero said his daughter Tatum, and son Mitchell, 16, whom Gower is said to have chased with a bottle, had put it behind them.

It has now been established that another former rugby league international at the resort saw the need to rebuke Gower on the golf course.

Penrith has completed its investigation into the affair and will call a board meeting to decide on its reaction.
"Nothing more will be said until we meet," said Penrith president Barry Walsh.

Gower disgraced himself and the game with his antics at a 48-hour alcohol-fuelled spree at a dinner during the Jack Newton Golf Day at the Novotel Twin Waters resort.

Gower was clebrating his buck's party before he marries TV presenter Amanda Flynn in a fortnight.

During the dinner he threw knives and was seen holding knives to the necks of other guests and put headlocks on some former players.
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17686322-23214,00.html

Dakink
30-12-05, 12:22 PM
Alcoholic Amnesia - What a disgrace - Time to start ripping up contracts to get the message through to some of these nangers!

Have a guess how you get Alcoholic amnesia? Thats right you drink Alcohol!! Self Inflicted then isnt it... Being drunk is no excuse in the eyes of the law - it aint no different here.

Super Cronk
30-12-05, 12:28 PM
Alcoholic Amnesia - What a disgrace - Time to start ripping up contracts to get the message through to some of these nangers!

Have a guess how you get Alcoholic amnesia? Thats right you drink Alcohol!! Self Inflicted then isnt it... Being drunk is no excuse in the eyes of the law - it aint no different here.

Panthers wont sack their best player, which is a shame because young players like dane tilse(when he was with knights) slips up and they are made an example of and sacked but these big name players get a slap on the wrist with a feather.

Dakink
30-12-05, 12:46 PM
Panthers wont sack their best player, which is a shame because young players like dane tilse(when he was with knights) slips up and they are made an example of and sacked but these big name players get a slap on the wrist with a feather.

I agree the Panthers wont but the NRL needs to start coming down hard on the players responsible. The NRL can de-register players and that massive stick should be brought out of the cupboard for serious offences.

Queenslander
31-12-05, 10:40 AM
PENRITH skipper Craig Gower faces suspension or a substantial fine after the Panthers board today decided he had a "case to answer" over allegations that arose from a Sunshine Coast charity event.

The Panthers board today discussed Penrith football manager Mick Leary's report on claims that Gower groped Balmain great Wayne Pearce's 17-year-old daughter Tatum at last week's Jack Newton Celebrity Golf Classic after-party.

Gower was also accused of chasing Pearce's 16-year-old son Mitchell with a bottle at the Classic held at Twin Waters Resort.

Penrith football manager Barry Walsh said today Gower would be called before the board on January 4.

"The board ... today held a preliminary meeting to discuss a report from our general manager Michael Leary into allegations about Craig Gower's behaviour at a recent golf tournament on the Sunshine Coast," Walsh said in a statement.

"The report is the result of a thorough investigation carried out by Michael Leary and other Penrith staff on the Sunshine Coast and elsewhere.

"We decided today that Craig Gower has a case to answer and he will be called to a meeting of the board at which he will be given the opportunity to do so."

Gower was also alleged to have had arguments with several guests, damaged a golf cart, held a butter knife to the throat of a Sydney radio personality and walked naked around the Twin Waters Resort.

Gower this week finally responded to the allegations with a one sentence statement.

"With regard to an incident at Twin Waters last Monday, December 19, to the extent that I have caused the Pearce family any discomfort, I unreservedly apologise," he said.

But Panthers chief executive Glenn Matthews said Gower faced a fine of up to a quarter of his annual salary ? about $100,000 ? or suspension if allegations were proved correct.

But Matthews said talk that Gower's contract would be torn up were "way off the mark".

Walsh said Gower would be notified in writing of the meeting.

"According to the terms of his contract with the club and the NRL, he must be given notice of that meeting in writing," he said.

"The meeting has been set down to take place at Panthers at 4pm on Wednesday, January 4.

"After that meeting the board will be in a position to decide on the next step.

"Obviously, nobody from Panthers can say anything further about this matter until that meeting has taken place."

Pearce yesterday told AAP that he had accepted Gower's "unreserved" apology and ruled out taking any action.

"I accept his apology and that is all I am saying basically," he told AAP.

"I've got no comment on anything else and that has been my stance all along so I am not starting now.

"The only people I have spoken to are Penrith and that's it."

Leary handed in his report to Walsh yesterday.

Leary and operations chief Peter Mulholland completed the investigation after visiting the Maroochydore resort that hosted the event and holding interviews with event guests including Dawn Fraser.

The swimming great claimed she had consoled Tatum and witnessed Gower chasing Mitchell around a table at the after-party.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17692945-23214,00.html

Super Cronk
31-12-05, 04:11 PM
im happy the panthers club havent tried to hide anything and they look to have done a good job following it up.

Queenslander
02-01-06, 11:27 AM
DURING a terror-inducing night that only the star performer Craig Gower, unlike myriad witnesses, is unable to recall, he got lucky.

Staff at the resort where Gower's alcohol-fuelled shenanigans occurred would not reveal his room number to irate rugby league legend Wayne Pearce.

Pearce, the personification of affability and a long-time teetotaller, was in the mood of any father woken to learn his teenage daughter had been lewdly assaulted by a drunken footballer in a downstairs bar.

Pearce had also been told his teenage son had been chased by the same footballer waving a beer bottle when he came to his sister's aid. Even Pearce's renowned self-restraint might have been tested if his path had crossed Gower's but he did not find him until next morning.

Friends say Pearce savagely rebuked Gower, pointing out it was not his first offence and that he had captained Australia against France last year and had an obligation to protect the game's image.

Gower's response was to mewl the alcoholic-amnesia mantra of players confronted by exposed wrong-doing: "I can't remember a thing."

Perhaps we can help with the details as Gower waits for his club Penrith to hear the case at a meeting this week.

Gower was at Jack Newton's charity golf day, for his buck's party before marrying TV hostess Amanda Flynn.

He was shown on TV at the first tee drunk and swearing.

At an important dinner during his 48-hour spree, Gower threw knives around the table, held knives to the necks of other guests, put headlocks on former players, ran around nude, damaged a golf cart and accosted the wife of a TV journalist.

He became increasingly agitated when the MC s****ed his antics and friends of sponsors got him out of the dinner but left him in a bar where he confronted the Pearce siblings.

It was a contemptible performance full of wilful, alcohol-driven, self-indulgence without regard to the game, himself or the consequences.

It was also as painful for the game as any anti-social public acts performed by any players in recent years and indicates there is still a small percentage of buffoons in the game who let alcohol dictate their actions.

So far Gower's only contrition has been to offer an indecisively worded apology to the Pearce family, IF his actions offended them.

This is Gower's third major offence - two involved excessive alcohol, one for breaking curfew.

Penrith won't sack him but he should be fined, suspended and surrender the captaincy.

If Penrith don't act, the NSWRL and ARL, who pick representative teams, should suspend his eligibility.

Sometime, somewhere, someone in rugby league has to act decisively to preserve credibility with the pubic.

This is the time.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17707714-23214,00.html

Queenslander
03-01-06, 12:53 PM
PENRITH chairman Barry Walsh says the NRL club's board has not ruled out stripping Craig Gower of the captaincy for his behaviour at a Sunshine Coast charity event despite a report to the contrary.

Gower will front the Panthers board tomorrow after the club's hierarchy found the Australia halfback had a "case to answer" over a report on his appearance at the Jack Newton Charity Golf Classic at Twin Waters resort a fortnight ago.

Panthers chief executive Glenn Matthews confirmed Gower faced a fine of up to a quarter of his annual salary - around $100,000 - and suspension.

But Walsh today said a Sydney newspaper report that stated the board wanted Gower to retain his captaincy because he had publicly apologised was not true.

"None of this is correct," Walsh said in a statement.

Gower had said he can't remember the incidents but last week "unreservedly" apologised to the family of rugby league legend Wayne Pearce.

Gower was accused of groping Pearce's 18-year-old daughter Tatum and chasing his 17-year-old son Mitchell around a table with a bottle at a charity event dinner.

Walsh said the club had not yet discussed possible penalties and confirmed removing Gower from the captaincy was still an option.

"The board held a meeting last week at which it was decided that Craig Gower had a case to answer," Walsh said.

"As stated in the media release put out at the time, he has been called to a meeting of the board tomorrow at which he will be given the chance to answer the case.
"At no time during our previous meeting did we discuss penalties and nor have we discussed them informally.

He added nobody representing Panthers would make any further statement on the matter until after tomorrow night's meeting.

Matthews said the meeting would start at 4pm (AEDT).

"The board has not discussed anything about penalties. We are just going through the process," he said.

Board member and Penrith premiership halfback Greg Alexander said he had kept in constant contact with a distraught Gower.

"I have spoken to him. He is holding up as well as you could imagine," he said.

"But I can't discuss anything else until the board meeting tomorrow."

The Panthers board called Gower to the meeting after reading Penrith football manager Mick Leary's report on the allegations.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said he expected a "full report" over the Gower allegations including Leary's investigation findings.

Gower held his "buck's week" celebrations at the charity event and is due to marry media personality and former cheerleader Amanda Flynn this month.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17719740-23214,00.html

Dakink
03-01-06, 01:31 PM
And so it should - who would want a person with his rep leading the club - He should be forced to re earn his captaincy through good behaviour and leadership.

Kingytek
03-01-06, 03:55 PM
Some answers!

Board backing Gower despite assault evidence

By Jacquelin Magnay
January 3, 2006

THE woman at the centre of the Craig Gower controversy has given damning evidence to Penrith officials of indecent assault, but there is strong support among Panthers board members for the star halfback to retain his captaincy of the club.

Tatum Pearce, the 18-year-old daughter of Balmain great Wayne Pearce, told Penrith general manager and investigator Mick Leary that a drunken Gower had put his hand in her crotch at a poolside bar at the Twin Waters resort on the Sunshine Coast on December 19. During the interview, Leary asked her to be specific about exactly where Gower had put his hand, and she replied: "On my vagina." There were no witnesses to the incident.

Penrith board members have been given copies of the Leary report, which details the evidence from Pearce and second-hand evidence from swimming legend Dawn Fraser, who consoled Pearce immediately afterwards. Fraser told Leary that Pearce was greatly upset and embarrassed by Gower's behaviour.

Gower has been summoned to a Penrith board meeting tomorrow night to explain his actions. The player, who has the right to legal representation at the meeting, has previously claimed he cannot remember anything from that night.

The Leary report has largely cleared Gower of other allegations, including those that involved throwing a knife and the pursuit of Wayne Pearce's son Mitchell with a beer bottle.

Mitchell Pearce approached a group of people who were with Gower and told them to control the footballer. Gower then acted in a menacing way while holding a beer bottle.

Leary has statements from witnesses who saw Gower naked around the hotel but staff said such sightings of guests were relatively common. Golf club officials have also said the player was welcome back to the course at any time.

Gower also caused minor damage to a golf cart when he hit a rock on the course, but club officials said this was a regular problem that was of no concern.

However, the reluctance of Tatum Pearce and her father to take further action, including making a police report, is behind a push to save Gower's captaincy.

It is understood a majority of the board wants to fine Gower substantially - more than $30,000, to be donated to charity - but allow him to stay on as captain because he has publicly apologised.

Gower has not seen the Leary report and could not be contacted yesterday. Last week, he issued a statement that said:"With regard to an incident at Twin Waters last Monday, December 19, to the extent that I have caused the Pearce family any discomfort, I unreservedly apologise."

The Penrith board is chaired by Barry Walsh and includes premiership-winning players Greg Alexander, Col Bentley and former senior deputy state coroner John Hiatt.

NRL chief executive David Gallop yesterday said he was waiting for the club to complete the investigation process.

"After that the club will report to the NRL and we expect that report will include the full Mick Leary investigation and findings," Gallop said.

The NRL last year refused to register Knights rookie Dane Tilse, who had been sacked from the Newcastle club after a drunken night out that involved him breaking into university students' quarters and waking a sleeping female. The Knights were also fined $200,000. The NRL has allowed Tilse to sign with the Raiders for 2006.

Gower, who is marrying former cheerleader Amanda Flynn this month, has a history of alcohol-related issues, having been sacked from the Australian team in 1999 after exposing himself at the Coogee Bay Hotel. For that he was fined $10,000 but was subsequently picked to play 16 Tests from 1999 to 2005. In 2004, he was fined by the NSW Rugby League for not observing the curfew of the NSW Origin team.
http://smh.com.au/news/league/board-backing-gower-despite-assault-evidence/2006/01/02/1136050394672.html

Dakink
03-01-06, 05:25 PM
The NRL last year refused to register Knights rookie Dane Tilse, who had been sacked from the Newcastle club after a drunken night out that involved him breaking into university students' quarters and waking a sleeping female. The Knights were also fined $200,000. The NRL has allowed Tilse to sign with the Raiders for 2006.

The NRL have set a precedent here - though I bet you any money that they wont follow through with it as there were no witnesses to the incident.

Time for the NRL to get tough on star players - it's easy to not register someone who was boderline anyway but do they have the balls do follow through on a star.

Queenslander
03-01-06, 08:19 PM
Time for the NRL to get tough on star players - it's easy to not register someone who was boderline anyway but do they have the balls do follow through on a star.

Im afraid there are rules for diferent class of players. Its wrong. No matter who does it they should be punish evenly from Dane Tilse to Anthony Minichello, Darren Lockyer or Sonny Bill Williams. And it should apply to all clubs. Im sick of bad news from the bulldogs every single year. I thought people learn from there mistakes.... Will this year be any different for the bulldogs?

Super Cronk
03-01-06, 08:24 PM
Im afraid there are rules for diferent class of players. Its wrong. No matter who does it they should be punish evenly from Dane Tilse to Anthony Minichello, Darren Lockyer or Sonny Bill Williams. And it should apply to all clubs. Im sick of bad news from the bulldogs every single year. I thought people learn from there mistakes.... Will this year be any different for the bulldogs?

C'mon now we dont want to get to far off the topic at hand.

I agree with you about the un-fairness in punishment for rookies and not the same for the "stars" of the game. It is wrong..if someone makes a mistake then they should be punished, weather they are 19 and only played 2 games or they are 27 and played 100 games. Ofcourse being humans you cant not make mistakes but gower has now done it THREE TIMES ffs, dane tilse did ONE stupid thing and was sacked....and what tilse did was nothing compared to the crap gower has done.

Queenslander
03-01-06, 08:26 PM
C'mon now we dont want to get to far off the topic at hand.

I agree with you about the un-fairness in punishment for rookies and not the same for the "stars" of the game. It is wrong..if someone makes a mistake then they should be punished, weather they are 19 and only played 2 games or they are 27 and played 100 games. Ofcourse being humans you cant not make mistakes but gower has now done it THREE TIMES ffs, dane tilse did ONE stupid thing and was sacked....and what tilse did was nothing compared to the crap gower has done.

Yeah it was a bit off track sorry. But yes hopefully the punishment will fit for what Gower has done not only to others but to the game of rugby league.

Queenslander
04-01-06, 06:24 PM
Breaking News: Report on Channel Nine suggests that Gower has lost his captainacy, fined $100,000 and must attend social help courses. But this has not been verified

SaRaH...
04-01-06, 06:36 PM
I just heard that on Channel 9 as well. I heard that he has been striped of the Captaincy and fined $100,000, but I didn't hear anything about attending social help courses.

Queenslander
04-01-06, 06:40 PM
I just heard that on Channel 9 as well. I heard that he has been striped of the Captaincy and fined $100,000, but I didn't hear anything about attending social help courses.

I forgot what exactly the exact name of the courses were but im assuming they are like similar to A.A. type courses.

Queenslander
04-01-06, 06:50 PM
The Board today listened to Craig Gower?s case and after weighing up all the evidence it is satisfied that he has been guilty of misconduct under Section 8 (1) (b) of his NRL registered playing contract.

Accordingly, the Board has resolved that:

1. Craig Gower is to lose the captaincy;
2. Craig Gower has been fined $100-thousand with $70-thousand of that to be suspended and $30-thousand to be paid into an existing NRL program covering responsible use of alcohol by rugby league players.

With regard to the $70-thousand, the Board has suspended that payment on condition that Craig enters into an agreement with the club to be of good behaviour and comply with further conditions for the next 12 months.

Those further conditions are:

1. That Craig participate in an intervention program for social responsibility and seek counselling concerning the responsible use of alcohol and off-field behaviour.

2. That Craig comply with any intervention plan arising out of the program.

In taking these decisions, the Board has considered Craig?s exemplary conduct on the field and his genuine commitment to our community over the years.

Nevertheless, his actions on the Sunshine Coast caused distress to a number of people and damaged our club, our game and the National Rugby League.

http://www.panthers.com.au/default.aspx?id=3&ArticleID=9

Queenslander
04-01-06, 06:56 PM
:clap: :clap: Good work to the Panthers club. This should hopefully put alot of players into line. The suspended fine though is a bit disappointing $100,000 with only $30,000 getting paid now into the NRL program covering responsible use of alcohol by rugby league players. IMO all of that money should be going to junior clubs not into "programs" which don't seem to be working.

SaRaH...
04-01-06, 06:57 PM
This has come off the Fox Sports Active "Breaking News" thing on Foxtel. It says:

"Penrith NRL Skipper Craig Gower has been sacked as club captain and fined 100 thousand dollars for drunken misbehaviour at a celebrity golf tournament before Christmas.
70 thousand dollars of the fine was suspended with Gower placed on a good behaviour bond, while the remaining 30 thousand will be donated to an alcohol rehabilitation programme which he must attend."

Super Cronk
04-01-06, 07:10 PM
Fair punishment...but i think it could have and should have been worse.

Titanium_BD1103
04-01-06, 08:36 PM
Actually I think it was harsh enough.. Well done to the Penrith Club for standing up against this sort of thing. Sorry to all those Craig Gower fans.. but he did the crime.. now he must face the punishment.. ;)

Luke Priddis should be captain at Penrith for 2006 as he is a great player and a good leader.. as for $100,000 I have never seen a fine like that handed out in RL in a while.. once again well done to Penrith for standing up for what is right and just and for putting some faith back into the Rugby League World once more.. :)

Queenslander
04-01-06, 08:43 PM
Actually I think it was harsh enough.. Well done to the Penrith Club for standing up against this sort of thing. Sorry to all those Craig Gower fans.. but he did the crime.. now he must face the punishment.. ;)

Luke Priddis should be captain at Penrith for 2006 as he is a great player and a good leader.. as for $100,000 I have never seen a fine like that handed out in RL in a while.. once again well done to Penrith for standing up for what is right and just and for putting some faith back into the Rugby League World once more.. :)

The $100,000 fine is more of a threat then a fine. He is only going to pay $30,000 which im sure is water off a ducks back for him. And im sure the penatly could be harsher if the NRL steps in and bans Gower from playing for a certain number of games. Cause no club would ban one of their best players from playing.

Super Cronk
04-01-06, 09:06 PM

Having the captaincy taken off of you and $100,000 ($30,000 really)...is no where near harsh enough for someone who groped a 17 yr old girl. That 1 thing alone warrents harsh, HARSH penalties. Then throw in the rest of the crap he did. Not to mention this is his 3RD alchohol related stuff up.

Queenslander
04-01-06, 09:16 PM
Having the captaincy taken off of you and $100,000 ($30,000 really)...is no where near harsh enough for someone who groped a 17 yr old girl. That 1 thing alone warrents harsh, HARSH penalties. Then throw in the rest of the crap he did. Not to mention this is his 3RD alchohol related stuff up.

Exactly and if Wayne Pearce actually took this matter to the police im sure that more would punishment would occur. However Gower is a rugby league player and like many other rugby league players they appear to be above the law or are able to avoid it.

SuperCliffy#01
05-01-06, 12:19 PM
The Penrith Panthers have missed the boat, i think what he did to Wayne Pearce's Daughter is appalling in the extreme to me that is child sexual battery, i believe that Gower should have had his contract torn up and that should have been backed up by the NRL giving the Bas####d a life ban, oh and if he had done that to my daughter he would not be walking around now, he would be in hospital with two broken legs and arms, He is nothing short of a sexual predator trying to fob off his behaviour because he was drunk. As i said Penrith has missed the boat on this issue. cya.

Cliffy GC
05-01-06, 10:31 PM
hes a disgrace and should be barred from the game

Social Loafer
06-01-06, 08:14 AM
Been said before, but can anyone tell me how this is different from the Dane Tilse incident? Tilse had his contract torn up and was banned for playing for 1 year.
Gower was at a charity event which means he is repersenting his club, Tilse was on a away trip for a trial and was repersenting his club.

Seems like the higher profile players get better treatment.

Sad really.

SuperCliffy#01
06-01-06, 11:15 AM
Been said before, but can anyone tell me how this is different from the Dane Tilse incident? Tilse had his contract torn up and was banned for playing for 1 year.
Gower was at a charity event which means he is repersenting his club, Tilse was on a away trip for a trial and was repersenting his club.

Seems like the higher profile players get better treatment.

Sad really.

Unfortunately, it is always the same the ELITE players are always treaed differently in the game, if that had been a country player not only would his contract been torn up and banned for life, but the police would have been brought in. cya.

Social Loafer
06-01-06, 11:56 AM
Unfortunately, it is always the same the ELITE players are always treaed differently in the game, if that had been a country player not only would his contract been torn up and banned for life, but the police would have been brought in. cya.

Goes further than that, imagine if me or you or any regualr member of the public had done that....

SuperCliffy#01
07-01-06, 11:22 AM
Goes further than that, imagine if me or you or any regualr member of the public had done that....

Charged with sexual assault and attempted rape of a minor under 18 yrs of age, remember the girl in question was 17 yrs old. cya.

Queenslander
08-01-06, 08:49 PM
DANE Tilse, who was sacked by Newcastle last year for an off-field indiscretion, believes Craig Gower avoided a similar fate at Penrith because he is a "big-name" player.

Tilse lost his $60,000 salary from the Knights and was banned from the NRL for 12 months for his part in an alcohol-fuelled rampage at a Bathurst university. There were allegations of sexual assault that were later withdrawn.

He has called for the introduction of standard penalties for off-field indiscretions as pressure mounts on the NRL to take action against Gower.

NRL boss David Gallop said Gower's case would be reviewed this week.

Gower was stripped of the Penrith captaincy - although coach John Lang said he would have an on-field leadership role - and fined $100,000.

However, $70,000 of that fine is suspended, with the $30,000 Gower has to pay representing an estimated six per cent of his Panthers contract.

The NRL claims the two cases differ because Tilse allegedly forced his way into the woman's room while on an official NRL promotional trip. Gower was on a private holiday, albeit at a public charity event.

Tilse is glad Gower avoided a ban but said the decision not to sack the Test halfback leaves him feeling like a scapegoat.

"It was a lot easier to make an example of me rather than a guy like Gower," Tilse said.

"It's easy to sack a nobody and harder to get rid of one of the better players.

"Obviously that behaviour shouldn't be tolerated but I'm glad he didn't cop what I did. I don't want anyone else to go through it. We have to stick together as players."

Gower last week was found guilty of drunken behaviour on the Sunshine Coast. He was accused of groping the teenage daughter of Wayne Pearce, throwing knives and running naked through the Twin Waters resort.

Gallop will review the Penrith reports this week and decide if any further action needs to be taken.

"We will review the matter once we receive a formal report from the club," he said. "But on the face of it, loss of the captaincy and a six-figure fine, albeit with a large part suspended, is a significant penalty.

"As a general principle it is important clubs are given the opportunity to set standards for behaviour within their own organisations. The league's role is to monitor that."

Penrith boss Glen Matthews defended Gower's punishment.

"We handled it as a board and are happy with the decision," he said.

Tilse said the NRL needed to introduce a uniform set of guidelines to avoid such differences in penalty.

"I think guidelines need to be set," he said. "A few people may draw comparisons but I don't want to get into that. But I think uniform rules need to be put into place.

"I think the NRL rushed the Knights a bit and screamed down their necks.

"It all happened very quickly and Penrith need to be commended for the way they handled the Gower case. They worked through it and did a full investigation. Maybe the NRL should punish the players, not the clubs."

Tilse, 20, is now looking forward to resuming his career with the Raiders.

"The goal is to get back and play first grade as soon as possible,' he said.
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17753838-23214,00.html

Both Tilse and Gower have done similar crimes so they should be facing similar penalities, its a simple as that.

Social Loafer
08-01-06, 09:13 PM
Worth noting that the charges againts Tilse were withdrawn and he wasn't officially found guilty....

Sharks
09-01-06, 09:18 AM
Gower was drunk and now 100 grand less better off... :cop:

SuperCliffy#01
09-01-06, 10:59 AM
But $70,000 of that was suspended as a good behaviour bond, infact he got fined $30,000 a pretty you know what effort. cya.

Queenslander
10-01-06, 11:05 AM
Gower was drunk and now 100 grand less better off... :cop:
Correction Gower was:
-Under the influence of alcohol
-Threw knifes at people and held knifes to peoples necks
-Ran naked through the golf course
-Damaged a golf cart
-And worst of all touched a underaged girl in the inappropriate areas

And he is only 30,000 less better off....70,000 supsended on "good-behaviour" :cop: :)