PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast United plumb new low

Boofhead
22-09-10, 12:35 PM
Gold Coast United plumb new low
David Lewis | September 19th, 2010

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2010/09/19/empty-stand-feeling.jpg

IN A horror weekend for A-League crowds, Gold Coast United plumbed new depths with the lowest gate in the club's short history -- just 2037 -- turning up to witness this evening's goalless draw against the Central Coast Mariners.

Skilled Park resembled a mausoleum, save for the gallant vocal backing of The Beach, as United huffed and puffed their way to an uninspired 0-0 draw against Graham Arnold's men in front of the lowest crowd on Australian soil since the inception of the national competition six years ago.

The worst-ever attendance at an A-League game was just 1632 for the duel between the now defunct New Zealand Knights, also against the Mariners, back in 2006, in New Zealand.

United's previous worst was 2616 for the visit of the Fury to Skilled Park 11 months ago, and Miron Bleiberg's men gave the few who turned up today little to cheer about.

A total of just 26,714 attended the competition's five matches over the weekend, at an average of a measly 5342.

After United's exhilarating 1-0 win in Perth last weekend, they again fell victim to their recent Skilled Park malaise as they struggled to make any in-roads against a well-organised Mariners side.

Tepid and uninspired, they barely created anything on a night best forgotten by all concerned.

The closest United came were efforts by Brazilian Anderson in the first half and a scrambled chance missed by Bruce Djite in the second.

Second-half substitute Andrew Barasic, who came off the bench to score the winner against the Mariners last season, fluffed their best opportunity in the 90th minute, blazing over a Zenon Caravella cross.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

TITAN PETE
22-09-10, 12:38 PM
I've heard from a couple of people that were at the match & they thought there would've been no more 1200 there....Titans get more at Training :laugh:

Boofhead
22-09-10, 12:38 PM
How much longer can the GCU possibly last?

I'm 90% confident Palmer wants to jump ship asap.

shamus
22-09-10, 12:59 PM
I like my soccer and it's a shame that GCU are failing miserably with crowds but you think this was a low crowd....wait until after tonights game.

Mid week game against Newcastle, a team that cannot afford to pay its players so FFA are paying their wages. I think the new low will be tonight.......not last week.

I would rather see the Suns fail any day over GCU but I suspect that GCU will last the season and the fat fart will sell up but no one will buy so they will fold.

Coaster
22-09-10, 04:06 PM
There is a game tonight, combine wet weather and mid week, they will have to count ground staff to make double figues

shamus
22-09-10, 10:05 PM
Crowd...2091 but at least they finally scored at home after 583 minutes of game time......and I just read an article that says Clive is committed to the club, so we will see.