PDA

View Full Version : Bellamy considering his Kangaroos role

Super Cronk
19-12-05, 06:00 PM
Bellamy considering his Kangaroos role
Source:: SMH.com.au

Melbourne Storm mentor Craig Bellamy says he isn't disappointed despite being overlooked for the Kangaroos and State of Origin roles for next season.

Bellamy was one of the favourites to take over the Australian side from Wayne Bennett after serving as assistant coach for two seasons, but was overlooked for the post in favour of Sydney Roosters coach Ricky Stuart.

It was a double blow for Bellamy, who was also beaten to the Queensland Origin coaching job by Mal Meninga following a backlash about him not being a Queenslander.

"I didn't get too much of a chance to get disappointed, it all came pretty quickly, before anyone even thought too much about it," Bellamy said on Monday.

"I was surprised Wayne resigned.

"At the end of the day, Rick has obviously coached at Origin level and been successful and has been very good with his club over the past four of five years.

"I've got no problem with that, not everyone can get the job, someone has to get it and a couple of people always miss out.

"That's the way it goes."

Bellamy, who is a close friend of Stuart's, said he was still undecided on whether to continue as assistant coach of the Kangaroos.

"I haven't made a decision on that yet," he said.

"You consider these things, I'll just see what happens."

Bellamy said he had no bad feelings about missing out on the Queensland job, despite the backlash from Maroons greats about appointing a New South Welshman for the post.

"I coached Country last year and I've got that job again this year, so that's something to keep me going," he said.

"They just had other people in mind and they got the nod, I've got no problem with that.

"I'm not too disappointed to be honest, it would have been nice but at the end of the day you can't have everything go your way all the time, you just get on with what you can do."

----------

What do you think? Should Bellamy stay on as Australian assistant coach?

Queenslander
19-12-05, 06:13 PM
Im thinking yes, if he gives up the deputy role in theory is meant to be a stepping stone to a higher position. In his case it hasnt worked like that but in time he will be coaching a NSW origin team and eventually Australia.

Dakink
19-12-05, 06:50 PM
I hope so - He is a future long term rep coach.

Titanium_BD1103
19-12-05, 10:43 PM
He is a good coach.. so yeah if he wants to stay then stay.. but if he wants to leave then leave.. I see there being no problem for a replacement if the issue arises.. it is really all up to Bellamy to decide.. :D :D

DeeGan
19-12-05, 10:53 PM
Ricky Stuart should be able to select who he wants as his assitant(s) for the Australian team fullstop - I am hoping Bellamy is still involved though have no problem with a whole new team off the field.

DeeGan

SOLIOLA
19-12-05, 10:56 PM
If stuart was able to select i would believe he would go with John Cartwright

DeeGan
19-12-05, 11:06 PM
If stuart was able to select i would believe he would go with John Cartwright

Perhaps though John has ALOT to deal with in preparation for 2007 let alone the Australian team in 2006 ;)

DeeGan

SOLIOLA
19-12-05, 11:29 PM
Agree but im sure it would be stuart's first choice if he had to choose

Steelers
20-12-05, 11:52 AM
I think he should stay as assistant coach. He has said that he learns alot from it.