PDA

View Full Version : Souths hoping to hop out of weird week

TITAN PETE
30-08-10, 03:20 PM
By Ben Horne AAP Mon, 30 Aug 2010 15:45:28
South Sydney players admit they're dealing with the weirdest week of their NRL careers, as they rely on other results to determine whether they're playing for a finals spot against St George Illawarra on Sunday.

The Rabbitohs don't run out to play the Dragons at WIN Jubilee Oval until 7pm on Sunday, meaning they'll know by then whether they're playing for a playoff berth or for pride.

Souths need Brisbane to beat Canberra and/or Canterbury to upset Manly and then must knock over minor premiers the Dragons to give themselves a shot at the premiership.

Fullback Rhys Wesser admits he'll be riding every Broncos play on Friday, while captain Roy Asotasi says he won't even watch the game, as Souths players work out how to feel during a week in limbo.

"We have to be supporting Brisbane, hopefully they can do us a favour, but we've just got to see what happens," Wesser told AAP.

"There's a glimmer of hope there I guess. We've got to wait and see what happens ... and if we get the results we want it's up to us to deliver on Sunday.

"I reckon we'll be sitting at home on our own (on Friday) just hoping and having our fingers crossed waiting for the final result."

Asotasi said it's important for the Rabbitohs to enjoy the week knowing it could be their last of the season.

The skipper will be blissfully unaware of what transpires on Friday night, but said if results do go Souths' way, they can trouble St George Illawarra.

"I don't think I'll turn it on to be honest," Asotasi said.

"All we can control is what we do on Sunday regardless of the result that happens on Friday. Whether it's to get into the eight or whether it's just for pride to finish the season off strong.

"I think we can give them a good run.

"We've just got to focus and enjoy the week, it could be our last or we could have an extra, but the main thing is we've got to win on Sunday against the Dragons who are the benchmark side and if we do well there then who knows?"

TITAN PETE
30-08-10, 03:26 PM
I think they can book their end of season trips now

DIEHARD
31-08-10, 03:09 AM
Souths were a big disappointment in 2010. But I think they will get stronger.