PDA

View Full Version : CH 7 & 10 to share NRL & AFL TV Rights

DIEHARD
24-08-10, 05:03 PM
CH 7 & 10 to share NRL & AFL TV Rights

A HOT topic in sport is television rights. There is a very good chance Channel 7 and Channel 10 ? in a share arrangement akin to the AFL ? will get the new rugby league rights. It would give the two networks a blanket coverage of top rating football in all states ? league (Queensland and NSW) and AFL (the rest). Cricket has also made it very clear it will spruce up its product for television to put it in a stronger position for negotiations next year. But the big loser could be rugby union which already has lost free-to-air coverage of Super 14. I am told the recent Bledisloe Cup direct telecast (at 5.30pm) was a disaster for Seven. It was seen as the reason Seven lost the vital 6pm weekly timeslot for the first time in months. If Seven doesn't want union it would be the death of the sport on free-to-air.

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au/

DIEHARD
24-08-10, 05:05 PM
Sounds good to me for competition. Ten always seemed like an outside chance alone but allied with Seven would pose a great threat to NINE.

If we have two parties going hard, I think Rugby League will reap the rewards.

I also want decent and fair Rugby League coverage in other states and maybe two networks can offer that.

Steelers
25-08-10, 10:08 PM
I think the best outcome we can hope for is Nine securing the rights but only after having to fork out ALOT of dough to scare away 7 and 10. More games on FTA would be a must as well IMO.