PDA

View Full Version : Bill Harrigan dropped after video referee blunder on Gasnier 'try'

TITAN PETE
17-08-10, 11:58 AM
THE NRL's assistant referees coach Bill Harrigan has been dropped as a video referee following a monumental blunder in the Dragons-Sea Eagles round 23 clash at Kogarah Oval.

The NRL said a review of the match had confirmed that Dragons centre Mark Gasnier should not have been awarded the try in 30th minute of the Dragons' 32-10 win over the Sea Eagles.

Harrigan conceded the decision had been an error of judgment and agreed he should be accountable for the mistake.

Referees coach Robert Finch has dropped the grand final veteran from video refereeing duties until further notice.

"We expect people to be accountable and Robert Finch should expect that of me," Harrigan said.

WATCH THE VIDEO

Finch said the decision to drop one of the game's most experienced officials should be a wake-up call for all officials.

"That was a very senior team and we would expect a higher standard of performance all-round," he said.

"Like any squad of people there are times when you can suffer a drop in form but it isn't something that we can continue to accept and certainly not at this time of year.

"I've already acknowledged that some of the squad are not performing at the standard that I know they can reach. We have been working on that with them but we can only maintain that approach for so long.

"We do have people in the wider squad that are in form and who have a lot to offer and the message is very clearly that the focus now will be on form and not reputation in the weeks ahead.

"People are always going to argue about refereeing decisions at this time of year whether the referee is right or wrong and everyone has to accept that mistakes will happen from time to time.

"There is no doubt that at the moment we can improve things and no doubt about the commitment this group has to getting the best possible result.

Boofhead
17-08-10, 01:16 PM
The bloke is a dead set show pony, hope he doesn't get a gig again.

Steelers
18-08-10, 09:31 PM
I cannot believe that this was given as a try. This was the pinnacle of poor refereeing standards.

Sydney Titans Fanatic
18-08-10, 10:28 PM
read in the daily telegraph that bill harrigon stood him self down and robert finch agreed