Todd carney likes men...meh im so bored

patskE
16-08-10, 12:24 AM
ahah should be at this game
cant wait :D

DIEHARD
16-08-10, 10:57 AM
Smith fears for 'vulnerable' Roosters

Brian Smith admits his Sydney Roosters are "vulnerable" after they slipped to their second successive NRL defeat to lowly Cronulla 18-12 on Friday at Toyota Stadium.

The third-placed Roosters, who lost to ladder-leading St George Illawarra last Sunday, are in danger of slipping out of the top four after going down to the Sharks, and Smith refused to offer any excuses for the loss.

"We are vulnerable right now and we have a long turnaround with a game against Gold Coast on Monday and we need every single day of it that is for sure," Smith said.

"We didn't do a lot of things the way we wanted to tonight and need to improve - we were too rushed and needed to be calm and composed."

"We looked like we were in a hurry to get it done as quick as we could instead of showing the respect we needed to to get the job done. It is not a smart way to go about things against a side like the Sharks."

Despite dominating the first half, the Roosters scored only two tries to lead 12-6 at the break, but their high-octane attacking game stuttered in the second period as the Sharks hit back to record a shock win.

Smith denied his side went into the game under-prepared, but said his players - who also lost 42-18 when the sides last met in round 13 - did not approach the game correctly.

"We got smacked by this team two or three months ago so we were not taking them lightly, if anything we were trying too hard to beat them," he said.

"Instead of being methodical we were trying to score 40 points which was crazy against a side who scrap so hard, they set the rules and we didn't play by them.

"Maybe experience is something we lacked tonight."

Halfback Mitchell Pearce took responsibility for the loss, but said his side were not pressing the panic button just yet.

"We are still up there in the finals spots. Obviously we wanted to desperately win the game but now it is about refocusing against the Titans next Monday and getting back on track," Pearce said.

"We did lack composure tonight and I take responsibility for that as I didn't do things as well as I could have.

"But you often you learn more from defeat than you do from a win and I think this is one of those occasions where you realise that to win games in the NRL you need to play smart football and we didn't do that."

Source: http://www.smh.com.au

DIEHARD
16-08-10, 10:58 AM
Mitchell Pearce says the Sydney Roosters have two weeks to prove they are worthy NRL finals contenders

NSW Origin halfback Mitchell Pearce has conceded the next fortnight will determine if the Roosters are grand final material.

Promoted into second favourites for the premiership on the back of a pummelling of Parramatta three weeks ago, the Roosters have since had back-to-back losses, to St George Illawarra and Cronulla.

And after eyeing a shot at the minor premiership, they're now a chance of slipping out of the top four by tomorrow night.

They are now in the midst of a 10-day turnaround to regroup and remedy their drop in form with a crunch match against Gold Coast Titans tomorrow week.

They then face finals contenders Manly and lowly-ranked Cowboys in the final two games of the season.

According to Pearce, it's the next two weeks that will illustrate if the Roosters are the real deal.

"It would've been nice to win [against Cronulla], but we've got the Titans next Monday night so it's a bit of a long turnaround after the short week so they're going to be tough as well," Pearce said.

"Every team is going to be tough going into the finals, but I think it's a matter of how good we want to be - or how good we are, to show that in the next couple of weeks."

The Roosters failed to score a single point in the final 40 minutes on Friday night against the languid Sharks, with furious Tricolours coach Brian Smith admitting his players failed to show composure in attack.

Star five-eighth Todd Carney refused to look for excuses and instead warned their rivals that they would continue with the dazzling attack that has lifted them from the cellar to the penthouse this season.

"We've got a few little things to work on, but we won't toss all that out the window just because we've had two losses," he said.

"We'll stick to what we're doing best and that was what we've been doing the last few weeks."

Source: http://www.heraldsun.com.au

karnage
16-08-10, 12:37 PM
These are the sort of games I like to get ready for - games where all the focus and expectation is on the other team and we can go out there and do our thing.

This is an even money bet this game and I am confident we can take it right up to them right across the field.

The one thing I would be encouraging the players to do though, is stay away from that Mose Masoy character. He is a one-man wrecking ball!!

TITAN PETE
16-08-10, 01:02 PM
These are the sort of games I like to get ready for - games where all the focus and expectation is on the other team and we can go out there and do our thing.

This is an even money bet this game and I am confident we can take it right up to them right across the field.

The one thing I would be encouraging the players to do though, is stay away from that Mose Masoy character. He is a one-man wrecking ball!!

I hope Michaels gets a shot at the Big Unit as he's our new Enforcer :fist:

titansrawesome
16-08-10, 05:10 PM
is masoe off contract? id like to get him he had all 3 big hits on the sunday footy show, we need to pounce on the recently out of form roosters, we still have a chance for the minor premiership too

timor 2
17-08-10, 02:10 PM
TITANS v ROOSTERS
Monday, August 23
7pm, SFS

1 Preston Campbell
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Steve Michaels
4 Clinton Toopi
5 William Zillman
6 Mat Rogers
7 Scott Prince
8 Luke Bailey
9 Nathan Friend
10 Matthew White
11 Anthony Laffranchi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Ashley Harrison
Interchange
14 Michael Henderson
15 Brad Meyers
16 Greg Bird
17 Bodene Thompson
18 Ben Ridge
Coach: John Cartwright

karnage
17-08-10, 03:05 PM
The 1-17 listed there is the best looking team that the Titans would have run out in the history of the club. We are building, fit and firing at the right time of the year.

Just need to hold it together now and September glory is not beyond us...

patskE
17-08-10, 04:52 PM
tbh, i would swap tonga for toopi i rkn, also our wingers goto learn to catch the high kick, not wait till other team gets it
cant wait but
excited

titansrawesome
17-08-10, 04:57 PM
tbh, i would swap tonga for toopi i rkn, also our wingers goto learn to catch the high kick, not wait till other team gets it
cant wait but
excited

we really just need some more ball to the wingers thats all, taga on the bench next week for som1?

matti
17-08-10, 05:07 PM
who is going to this game, im gonna go but not to sure where you sit at the sfs

Boofhead
17-08-10, 05:18 PM
Roosters
1. Anthony Minichiello
2. Phil Graham
3. Mitchell Aubusson
4. Shaun Kenny-Dowall
5. Sam Perrett
6. Todd Carney
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Jason Ryles
9. Jake Friend
10. Daniel Conn
11. Frank Paul Nuuausala
12. Nate Myles
13. Braith Anasta (c)

Interchange:
14. Martin Kennedy
15. Mose Masoe
16. Joseph Leilua
17. Nick Kouparitsas
18. Lopini Paea

DIEHARD
17-08-10, 06:29 PM
who is going to this game, im gonna go but not to sure where you sit at the sfs

Round 24: Roosters v Titans (7:00pm Monday 23 August ? Sydney Football Stadium)

Tickets available from Ticketek.com.au: Bay 38 ? General Admission

DIEHARD
18-08-10, 01:06 PM
Roosters v Titans
Monday 7pm Sydney Football Stadium

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/NRL/roostersvstitans.jpg

Who wants a home final? Anyone? Brian Smith? do you want one? John Cartwright? how about you?

Monday night football brings us a cracking finish to the round as these two sides look to turn their finals berths (Titans certain, Roosters still a teeny chance of missing out) into top-four positions.

The Titans have even higher aspirations, as they currently sit in second place and while the chances of catching the Dragons for the minor premiership are slim, they are in a differential dogfight with the Wests Tigers for the second rung on the ladder ? and with it, a certain second bite of the cherry in finals football.

Three wins from three would mean only the Tigers, doing the same but by better margins (they are currently just one differential point behind), could rob them.

Even still, just two more wins would probably secure a top-four spot and a home final.

On the other side of the coin a loss here for the Gold Coast could see them slide to sixth ? and heading towards the danger end of the top eight.

Greg Bird and Michael Henderson have been added to the bench for this clash after last week?s win over North Queensland, with Aaron Cannings out.

The Roosters had a slip-up against the Sharks last week, putting their top-two chances in jeopardy, but they can still grab the coveted spot should they prove triumphant over the next three weeks.

At the very least, currently in fifth, the Roosters know a win here will put them into the top four as it will ensure they leapfrog the Titans.

Another loss, however, could put them back as far as seventh and fighting for their survival in the final rounds with games to come against the Sea Eagles and Cowboys.

Mitchell Aubusson is due back from injury in the centres, meaning Johnathan Ford will miss out, while Lopini Paea has been added as an extra on the bench.

The Titans can equal their NRL record of five consecutive wins with a victory.

Watch out Roosters: The Gold Coast are making sensational metres this season, part of the reason they are running second.

With 1403 metres gained per match across the ground, the Titans are giving Scott Prince great field position from which he can launch their attacks. This is a good deal better than the Roosters? average of 1286 metres.

Both teams are pretty good in kick metres but the Roosters still lag behind the Titans 543 metres to 603 metres.

Five Titans players average over 100 metres a game, led by prop Luke Bailey at 131 metres. Greg Bird (103), Kevin Gordon (112), Anthony Laffranchi (106) and Mark Minichiello (100) join him in triple figures.

Five Roosters also boast triple figures, in Shaun Kenny Dowell (125), Anthony Minichiello (115), Sam Perrett (121), Nate Myles (112) and Jason Ryles (104). The difference is the Titans? forwards are doing more work than their Roosters counterparts. The Roosters? pack needs to get dirty and get the hard yards done before the team relies on its flair.

Watch out Titans: Speaking of flair, the Roosters have the potential to provide plenty thanks mainly to the combination of Mitchell Pearce and Todd Carney.

These guys may have misfired a little against the Sharks but you only needed to watch them warm up at training to see how crisp their skills are and how determined they are to get things back on track this Monday night.

If you ever have the pleasure of watching a Roosters training session you?ll see these two running across the ground, 20 metres apart, chatting away while passing bullet balls onto each other?s chests. They track up and down the field, passing left to right and right to left as if it were nothing at all, hitting the target with precision every time. It is this skill which should have the Titans scared, as it enables the Roosters to snap the ball from one side of the field to the other in two quick, crisp, perfect passes to create or exploit an overlap. Somehow the Gold Coast boys need to cut down their time and decision-making otherwise this pair will destroy them.

Where it will be won: Goal-line attack and defence will decide this match. Both sides have a real problem defending their line and need to get tougher if they are to compete heavily for the premiership. The Titans have conceded a disappointing (and worrying) 40 tries from 0-10 metres this year, one of the worst teams in the league, but the Roosters aren?t much better, conceding 38. Somehow they must muscle up more with their backs against the wall because soft tries simply cannot be permitted.

Thankfully for the Titans they are one of the best teams in the NRL at scoring from close range, with 39 tries for the year. The Roosters, however, have just 30 ? better than just the Eels when it comes to teams still in finals contention. They prefer to attack from a little further back.

The history: Played 5; Roosters 2, Titans 3. The Roosters won the first and last match between these two clubs, with three Titans wins sandwiched in between.

Earlier this season the Roosters inflicted a 30-16 result on the Titans ? by far the biggest margin between the teams ever recorded. Just six, four, four and four points decided the other matches.

The teams have played twice at the SFS, with the honours shared one apiece.

Conclusion: Let?s call last week?s game against the Sharks an anomaly and therefore give the Roosters favouritism here. If they return to the form of the previous five weeks, they have the guns to the bring down the Titans but if they execute poorly again and turn up with obvious complacency, they?ll get rolled and their place in the finals will start to be questioned once more.

It must be said thought that the Titans are looking more and more impressive at times; they could easily continue the Roosters? misery.

Match officials: Referees ? Gavin Badger & Steve Lyons; Sideline Officials ? Steve Chiddy & David Abood; Video Ref ? Steve Clark

Televised: Fox Sports ? Live 7pm.

Source: http://www.nrl.com

DIEHARD
18-08-10, 01:16 PM
Titans booster for the Roosters

TITANS Michael Henderson and Greg Bird have been named to tackle the Sydney Roosters on Monday at the SFS after missing last week's win over North Queensland through illness and injury respectively.

Prop Henderson and five-eighth/back rower Bird were included on the bench, at the expense of Aaron Cannings and Ben Ridge, who has been named 18th man.

Bird has been missing from the Titans line up since tearing his hamstring against the Broncos four and a half weeks ago.

He was pencilled in to return against the Cowboys on Saturday, but was rubbed out on the eve of the match after failing to prove his fitness.

Coach John Cartwright is confident the NSW Origin representative will take his place against the Roosters.

''He is looking a lot freer in his actions this week so he should be right,'' he said.

Henderson, who has been battling a virus, declared himself a certain starter.

''I just needed the week off to get over it and still the boys had a good win, so hopefully we can come back this week and have another win,'' said Henderson.

''I just couldn't shake it, it ran me down a bit and Carty thought it was for the best that I had a week off.

''I lost a couple of kilos up to 3kg but a couple of training sessions and a bit of food, I'm sure it'll be back on.''

If the second-placed Titans can axe the fifth-placed Roosters at the SFS, they will go a long way to securing a home final.

The Titans have won three of the five games between the two clubs since 2007, including one of their greatest victories, which came at the SFS in 2008.

On that occasion the Gold Coast triumphed 32-28 without skipper Scott Prince and half their forward pack missing.

''It is a big test,'' said Cartwright.

''It is a hard place to play at the SFS, depending on what sort of crowd you get and the Monday night football.

''There are a few challenges there.''

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

titansrawesome
18-08-10, 02:54 PM
shaun kenny dowall, mose masoe, todd carney, jake friend, frank paul nausala, jared whereva hargraves,, minnichello so many strike weapons

DIEHARD
18-08-10, 10:00 PM
Tough Titan ready to take flight

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2010/08/18/greg-bird-running.jpg

TITANS enforcer Greg Bird has declared himself a certain starter against the Sydney Roosters on Monday night after falling short in his comeback against the Cowboys last week.

Bird, who has battled a hamstring tear for the past month, was set to return against North Queensland before being ruled out on the eve of Saturday's victory at Skilled Park.

The NSW State of Origin representative has again been named on the bench and this time says he is 100 per cent ready to play.

''I was trying to get back last week but I could still feel it, it was still quite tight,'' said Bird.

''I probably could have played. But with hamstrings, you are better off giving it that extra week and making sure you don't re-injure it.

''I am 100 per cent now.''

DIEHARD
18-08-10, 10:00 PM
No panic, insist Roosters

The Sydney Roosters insist there is no panic in the camp after last weekend's shock loss to Cronulla and a looming Monday night battle with in-form Gold Coast.

The Roosters were the NRL's form side a fortnight ago before losses to ladder leaders St George Illawarra in a draining Sunday afternoon SCG battle and then the struggling Sharks last Friday.

They will run into a Titans outfit in ominous form after four straight wins and halfback Scott Prince returning to his brilliant best.

"We're not playing dreadful football at the moment but, to where we can be, it's not as good so we've definitely got to go back and rethink things," Roosters forward Nate Myles told reporters on Wednesday.

"It's the business end of the year and it was a bit of a disappointing loss for us on the weekend.

"A win would have made things a lot easier but, in saying that, we're not out of the shot at all and we're looking forward to that clash on Monday.

"We knew a win last week would have made things a little bit easier but we've put the pressure on ourselves and now our boys are up for a big game because we need one really."

Myles said ball control and, surprisingly, predictability were issues for Brian Smith's side.

"I don't think we're really controlling our football at the moment, we tend to be going to one thing too much and it's not working for us so we need to mix our game-plan up a bit and obviously defence is another big thing for us," Myles said.

"Some of our last passes didn't stick on the weekend and it would have been very helpful if they did, but we're pretty fortunate with the fact we've got three pretty good ball-players.

"With the big turnaround, you get to throw a few more sessions in there which is what we need."

Myles said the Roosters would have more on their plates than just Prince.

"I don't think you can pay too much attention to any one player in that side, they've got attack across the board so stop everyone is the best way to do it," he said.

The Roosters on Wednesday launched their Stick With It program, which encourages indigenous children in the Dubbo area to read, exercise and eat healthy food.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au

Supergoose
18-08-10, 10:30 PM
If we get our fair share of penalties from the ref's in this match we will win. Pretty big if though.

DIEHARD
19-08-10, 12:58 PM
Titans can find another gear, says Mini

BACK rower Mark Minichiello believes the Titans can still kick up another 'couple gears' in the run to the finals.

The Titans clash with top-four rivals the Sydney Roosters on Monday night and Minichiello said a win over the tri-colours was crucial for the club to maintain their momentum.

The second-placed Titans are on a four-game winning streak, while the Roosters have slid to fifth after back-to-back losses.

''We have been playing really well as a team and playing for each other,'' he said.

''Once we come to semi-finals time everything will lift again and I think we have definitely got a couple of gears to go.

''I am looking forward to playing in that series and seeing how good we can get.''

Adding spice to the encounter, Minichiello will line up against older brother and Roosters fullback Anthony, looking for a bit of payback after Sydney toppled the Titans at Skilled Park in Round 12.

''They got us up here, so hopefully we can go down there and get them,'' he said.

''They have been playing pretty well.

''Hopefully we can stop them and get a good win and continue our good form.''

DIEHARD
19-08-10, 03:30 PM
Henderson and Ryles to meet again

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans prop Michael Henderson will walk down memory lane when he clashes with close former teammate Jason Ryles at the SFS on Monday night.

After missing last weekend?s win over the North Queensland Cowboys with a virus, Henderson will make his return for the Jetstar Titans when they travel to Sydney to take on the Sydney Roosters on Monday night.

The clash will see him locking horns with former St George Illawarra teammate Jason Ryles, who spent nine years with the Dragons between 2000 and 2008 while Henderson was making a name for himself as a young prop.

?I hope he has a good game but loses this week?, joked Henderson.

?Rylesy?s most definitely a clown and a big kid but he?s a good fella and he?s had a great career.

?He was about 24 when I got there and I was a 17-year-old kid. We had some good times but it seems like light years ago now.

?It?s a very important game for both clubs and we need to be on our game?.

Having secured second spot on the NRL ladder after last weekend?s win over the Cowboys, the Jetstar Titans are looking to continue their momentum with just three rounds of the regular season remaining.

While their opponents have slipped to fifth spot on the ladder after losing their last their last two matches, Henderson said he was prepared for a desperate Roosters side on Monday night.

?I think they?re coming off a couple of losses so they?ll be desperate and a desperate side are a dangerous side,?? he said.

?You know it only takes one game to get you back into form and as you can see with us, so we?re just going to have to be on our game.

?Everyone was writing us off and I guess their coping a little bit in Sydney, so they?ll be out to prove a point this weekend.??

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

Sydney Titans Fanatic
19-08-10, 05:16 PM
Mini ups ante in sibling rivalry
nrl.com
Not since their backyard footy days has the rivalry between the NRL's Minichiello brothers been so fierce.

Which is saying something - Gold Coast second rower Mark Minichiello admits "everything" became a competition when he was growing up with Sydney Roosters fullback and big brother Anthony in Sydney's west.

But Mark reckons the stage is set for the sibling rivalry to go up a notch when Anthony's Chooks host his Titans at the SFS on Monday night.

Certainly Mark Minichiello has done his bit, cheekily claiming the Roosters No.1 was not back to his best despite a stirring comeback from "horrific" back injuries.

And while Mark can't hide his admiration for the way Anthony overcame chronic back complaints, it won't stop him testing out his brother's fitness on Monday night.

"There is always a little bit (rivalry). I don't go looking for him unless he comes my way, then I try to give it to him - I would probably go over the top (of him)," Mark Minichiello laughed.

Asked about Anthony's form, baby brother said: "He's dangerous, but I wouldn't say he is back to his best form."

Before adding: "He has had some horrific injuries with his back, but he is playing terrific footy.

"I think he has got plenty of years left in him. I think the injury has prolonged his career.

"I am not sure if it (representative football) is a goal of his - he's achieved everything in the game.

"I think he is just happy playing rugby league. If you knew the extent of his injuries, probably most players wouldn't be playing again.

"I think he has done exceptionally well to get back and play as well as he is."

But that's where the love-in ended.

Gold Coast's `Mini' claimed the Titans wanted to use the Roosters as a stepping stone to an NRL home final, before they go up "a couple of gears".

For once the two teams meet in what can legitimately be called a heavyweight clash - second-placed Titans tackle the fifth-placed Roosters with a top four place up for grabs.

Last year's wooden spooners, the Roosters have missed the finals in four of the past five seasons but appear to have regrouped under coach Brian Smith despite a last round hiccup against the Sharks.

"It (loss) is probably a good thing for them to get that little shake up (before the finals) but hopefully we can overcome that," said Minichiello junior of the Roosters.

"They are going well but so are we.

"We have been playing for each other, and come semi-finals time everything lifts again - we have definitely got a couple of gears to go.

"I am looking forward to seeing how good we can get."

While Mark looks forward to getting bragging rights over Anthony in front of their family - the truth is their relatives will "wear neutral colours" - and not all of them will be there.

Mark's new-born son Luca has only just come home with mum Milena and will remain on the tourist strip with his grandparents.

teke
19-08-10, 11:27 PM
shaun kenny dowall, mose masoe, todd carney, jake friend, frank paul nausala, jared whereva hargraves,, minnichello so many strike weaponsKenny and Carney are the only strike weapons out of that list.

They have nothing on the Titans :fight:

Mushi
20-08-10, 10:22 AM
Will be getting results for this game via SMS courtesy of family as we are off on hols this weekend. Lucky for me - the 2 weekends we are away are both away games so won't be missing any home matches thankgoodness :-) Hope the boys do a great job on the roosters and sharks over the next 2 weeks and looking forward to cheering them on in the final round in a few weeks time!!!
Lets go titans!!!!

Steelers
20-08-10, 02:11 PM
Thinking of putting a bit of money on the Titans to win - they're at $2.35

DIEHARD
20-08-10, 02:57 PM
Titans better placed this time around: Laffranchi

The Gold Coast Titans are using the pain of last year’s quick-fire exit from the finals series as their motivation to maintain the rage over the final three weeks of the season – starting with Sydney Roosters this Monday night.

Still smarting after finishing the 2009 regular season in third only to bow out with consecutive finals losses to Brisbane and Parramatta, the Titans are keen to make amends this time around and continue an impressive run that has seen them move up to second on the NRL ladder with three games remaining.

And while this week’s clash with the Roosters looms as a danger game for the Queenslanders, back-rower Anthony Laffranchi believes his side is better equipped to make a run for the title in 2010.

“We learnt a lot from last year,” Laffranchi told NRL.com. “It was disappointing to bow out in ‘straight sets’.

“We got touched up the week before by Manly as well (38-4) so we’re conscious that momentum is a big thing. From personal experience, when you’ve got momentum at this time of year it’s hard to stop that roll.

“Looking back, it was a big relief for the club to get to the semis for the first time and maybe we dropped our intensity a bit. We were a bit shell-shocked early by those teams in the semi finals.

“But I think if we get there, and when we get there, this year you’ll see a different Titans side heading into the finals.”

More importantly, Laffranchi believes the Gold Coast – who will notch their fifth successive win should they defeat the Roosters – are far healthier heading into this year’s finals series.

Battered by injuries at the business end of the recent seasons, this time around they boast a fit and firing squad bolstered by the recent return from injury of veteran five-eighth Mat Rogers.

“I think we’re a better side,” Laffranchi said. “The squad is healthy, which is always a good sign.

“Last year was a real learning curve for everyone as well – especially the younger guys. So I do think we’re in a better position but there are still three games to go.

“We’re not there yet and we can’t be thinking about September too far ahead.

“We’ve got a very big game on Monday night and I think his will go down as a real pivotal game in our season leading into the finals.”

It’s been quite the turnaround for the Titans, who only a month ago were in danger of slipping out of the top eight altogether but now find themselves amongst the front-runners following impressive wins over St George Illawarra, the Warriors, Parramatta and North Queensland.

While top four rivals Wests Tigers stopped the rot last weekend after a soul-searching camp in Kiama, Laffranchi said the Gold Coast hadn’t needed any such action.

“We always knew what we needed to do – we just needed to do it for 80 minutes,” the 29-year-old said.

“There was no great secret we needed to unlock – we didn’t change anything too much.

“Obviously we got together as a team as every team does, but it was just sticking to the basics right through the whole game.

“You probably look back at the Dragons game (which the Titans won 11-10) and although we only won by a point, we were able to stick to our structure for the entire 80 minutes.

“I think that was an important win for us because it showed us that ‘Hey, we can do it’.

“We’ve got a lot of belief here now.”

Source: http://www.nrl.com

DIEHARD
20-08-10, 03:05 PM
Sportal Preview: Roosters v Titans

VENUE & TIME: Sydney Football Stadium, Mon, August 23, 7.05pm (AEST)
COVERAGE: Fox Sports
HEAD TO HEAD: Played 23 ? Roosters 18, Titans 5.
LAST TIME: Round 12, 2010 ? Roosters 30-16.

WALKING WOUNDED: Gold Coast have no fresh injury concerns and field the same line-up that downed the Cowboys last week. The Roosters get Joseph Leilua back. He replaces Lopini Paea on the bench.

FORM: It was all going so smoothly for the Roosters a fortnight ago. They had won five in a row before the Dragons stopped them in their tracks at the SCG. Coach Brian Smith warned his side to be wary of Cronulla the following week but they weren't listening. For the second time this year, the Chooks went down to their 'banana skin' bogey side. As a result, the Tricolours have slipped to fifth on the ladder and could finish Round 24 in eighth spot if they lose here. No such dramas for the Titans, who are four wins in a row and counting. There is renewed respect for John Cartwright's men following their unbeaten month. Some are even predicting a grand final berth, especially if they can hold on to a top-two position.

WHO'S HOT: They were calling Jake Friend, Jake 'Friendless' after he was punted by the Roosters last year and went to work in a sandwich shop. After seemingly getting his act together off the field, the busy No.9 was ushered back into the NRL and has been great value for the Roosters. Apart from averaging around 36 tackles a game, Friend is a lively customer around the ruck, providing good service to the three ball-players in the Chooks' line-up. Steve Michaels has been the buy of the year according to John Cartwright. A bit OTT perhaps, but there is no doubt the ex-Bronco has been a great pick up. Unwanted by Brisbane, Michaels returned home to the 'Goldie' mid-season and has been a revelation in the centres. He's scored four tries in four games and threw the final pass for two 'meaties' in the win over North Queensland. The Titans have not lost a game since the speedy Michaels joined them.

WE THINK: This is a big, big test for Brian Smith's men. Their loss to the Dragons was going to be tolerable as long as they backed up to beat the lowly Sharks the week after. They didn't, so the pressure is mounting. The Titans are on a great roll and playing away holds no great fears for them these days. This match will be determined around the scrumbase. Prince and Rogers up against Pearce and Anasta. The visitors may just have enough class to get there.Titans by 2

TEAMS:

Roosters: Anthony Minichiello, Phil Graham, Mitchell Aubusson, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Sam Perrett, Todd Carney, Mitchell Pearce, Jason Ryles, Jake Friend, Daniel Conn, Frank Paul Nuuausala, Nate Myles, Braith Anasta [c].
Interchange: Martin Kennedy, Mose Masoe, Joseph Leilua, Nick Kouparitsas, Lopini Paea (one to be omitted).

Titans: Preston Campbell, Kevin Gordon, Steve Michaels, Clinton Toopi, William Zillman, Mat Rogers, Scott Prince [c], Luke Bailey, Nathan Friend, Matthew White, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello, Ashley Harrison.
Interchange: Michael Henderson, Brad Meyers, Greg Bird, Bodene Thompson, Ben Ridge (one to be omitted).

Source: http://www.sportal.com.au

Surfers6
20-08-10, 03:56 PM
Thinking of putting a bit of money on the Titans to win - they're at $2.35

Yeah I have them in a $5 multi with -
Broncs 13+, Souths 7-12 & Geelong 1-39.

$820

DIEHARD
20-08-10, 05:01 PM
That is a bloody good price for the Titans. Im getting on them now.

DIEHARD
20-08-10, 06:00 PM
Titans' lid is firmly on, says Carty

TITANS coach John Cartwright is doing his best to keep a lid on the hype surrounding the Gold Coast's run to the finals as they prepare to fight for a top-four NRL spot against the Sydney Roosters on Monday night.

Cartwright is taking a 'business as usual' approach heading into the heavyweight SFS encounter against the fifth-placed Roosters in an effort to keep his players focused.

While the Titans have all but secured a place in the top eight, Cartwright is not about to change his winning formula with the club hunting its fifth straight win.

''The eight is nowhere near settled,'' he said.

''We have to win games to make sure we get in the eight, and then as high in the eight as we possibly can.

''It is two top-four sides going at it for a position at the end of the round in the top four.''

The Roosters beat the Titans when the sides met at Skilled Park earlier this season, but Cartwright said he was reading nothing into that result.

''Lots has happened since then,'' he said.

''We are in the final three games and both of us a sitting pretty close.

''That will tell you it is going to be a pretty close game.''

The Titans will have their final training run on the Coast on Sunday before flying out for Sydney in the afternoon.

titanfan1980
21-08-10, 10:41 AM

$820

Hahaha u may aswell as thrown your money down the toilet with a souths broncos bet

titanstattman
21-08-10, 11:11 AM
oiPesto may not be playing as he hurt his hemi at traing nd only trained for ten mins... And that was 1st time all week. As he got a hip prob out of the cowboys game

Sydney Titans Fanatic
21-08-10, 01:17 PM
that means zillman to fullback,maybe rogers to wing or centre and bird to five eigth wohooo

Coaster
21-08-10, 01:31 PM
I'll be cranky as hell if Rogers gets shifted from 5/8

We need to keep him where he is and get this combination right, we are 3 weeks away from the semis ffs.

Zillman to FB, and bring in a winger

titansrawesome
21-08-10, 02:42 PM
we can get ryan tongia from the 20's

amaline
21-08-10, 03:40 PM

We need to keep him where he is and get this combination right, we are 3 weeks away from the semis ffs.

According to the bulletin, Atkins will come in.

Coaster
21-08-10, 03:46 PM
According to the bulletin, Atkins will come in.
That's a good thing, the times over for chop and change.

We have the team to win this thing, get them in form and only replace because of injury.

titansrawesome
21-08-10, 04:18 PM
That's a good thing, the times over for chop and change.

We have the team to win this thing, get them in form and only replace because of injury.

not atkins, i rather tongia/tomane/tonga

Coaster
21-08-10, 04:59 PM
It's not your call mate, so don't dwell on it, just get behind the players that are picked.

Atkins is a solid defender on the wing, can leap, and is a genuine winger.

Considering as you have been telling us for weeks he won't see the ball, we need a defender and a good leaper.

Ryan
21-08-10, 05:06 PM
prince used 2 kick 2 atkins all da time n he scored heaps of prince kicks n wen delanee use 2 pass da ball n stuff i thort u'd lyk him cus he got 4 trys on dayboo

titansrawesome
21-08-10, 06:52 PM
prince used 2 kick 2 atkins all da time n he scored heaps of prince kicks n wen delanee use 2 pass da ball n stuff i thort u'd lyk him cus he got 4 trys on dayboo

cheers m8 th@ waz funni az bro ur a crackup Gee n awsom az cuz

squirrell
22-08-10, 07:53 AM

Exactly my thoughts..if it aint broke dont fix it..rogers is on fire at 5/8

patskE
22-08-10, 08:17 AM

that was only in his 1st game
lol

DIEHARD
22-08-10, 12:27 PM
LOL @ Ryan.

I don't want to see Rogers moved and Im sure Carty won't, as Coaster says, we have the core team, only replace because of injuries.

DIEHARD
22-08-10, 12:27 PM
Laffranchi happy to prop up Gold Coast

Gold Coast star Anthony Laffranchi admits he'd rather stay at second row, but says he's prepared to move to prop if it means accommodating Greg Bird in the NRL club's starting side.

The Test and NSW State of Origin representative is one of the game's best back-rowers, however Laffranchi was moved up front for the Wests Tigers under similar circumstances in the 2005 grand final.

Coach John Cartwright, whose finals-bound Titans face the Sydney Roosters at the Sydney Football Stadium on Monday night, faces a selection headache over how to combine his strongest side.

Advertisement: Story continues belowBird is expected to make his return from a hamstring injury against the Roosters, and named on the bench.

Before his month-long layout Bird was playing five-eighth, but the superb form of Mat Rogers in his absence has almost guaranteed the retiring veteran won't be moved out of the halves.

This could see for the former Cronulla star to move to lock where he starred for NSW in the third Origin match.

However, for that to happen Cartwright would have to break apart his tried and tested backrow of Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello and Ashley Harrison.

Laffranchi said he doesn't envy the position Cartwright is in, and happy to give his coach some advice on what to do with Bird.

"I'm sure the water bottles might need to be filled every now and then so Birdy might find a job there, or I keep telling him (to move) up into the front row!" joked Laffranchi.

"We have got a pretty stable back row there with Mini, Harro and myself and we've got a really good combination going, and Matty is playing too good to move him out of No.6 ... but it's a good position to be in.

"When you've got the calibre of Birdy trying to force his way into the team, it's only going to put pressure on guys like myself and bring the best out of everyone."

Laffranchi said he'll do whatever's best for the team and can take confidence from having previous big-time experience at prop.

"It's exactly the same position I was in with the Tigers. We had Mark O'Neill injured and he came back and to make way for him I moved up to the front row.

"I've done it before and my role hasn't changed too much and if that was the case and for the best of the team, then definitely.

"I'd prefer to stay in the No.11 and keep doing what I've been doing in my career here on the Coast, but if I move up the beauty is you bring an Origin player like Greg Bird into the back row which is only going to help."

http://news.smh.com.au/

DIEHARD
22-08-10, 12:36 PM
Six weeks to win test jersey

ANDREW Johns has thrown up Roosters star Todd Carney as the Kangaroos' halfback wildcard for this year's Four Nations campaign.

With doubts over North Queensland's Johnathan Thurston, who is sidelined with foot and shoulder injuries, Carney could be one strong finals campaign from winning his first Australian jumper.

Johns says the Kangaroos No. 7 jersey could come down to a finals shootout between Roosters team-mates Mitchell Pearce and Carney and Gold Coast's Scott Prince.

The first shots in that battle will come tomorrow night when the Roosters face the Titans at the Sydney Football Stadium.

"In normal circumstances, Cooper Cronk would be next cab off the rank and will still be strongly considered," Johns said.

"But he has the disadvantage of not playing during the finals.

"If the likes of the Roosters or the Titans go on a big run during the finals series, you'd have to think it will be because their halfbacks will be really firing.

"Who is in form during the finals always counts for a lot when they're picking these sides.

"If the Roosters were to go all the way to the grand final, Pearce or even Carney could really put themselves in the picture. The same goes for Scotty Prince with the Titans if they can get on a roll.

"But JT [Thurston] is one of the toughest players around. If he says he is going to be right by then, I wouldn't be ruling him out."

Carney and Pearce refuse to let the lure of a Test jumper derail their finals focus with the Roosters.

But Carney has attracted the attention of the right people for the right reasons this year.

"The thing with Carney is that he's shown he can play one, six and seven. He's an asset," one national selector told The Sunday Telegraph.

Carney admits a Test spot would be a dream come true. "I'd love to be a part of it, but there's a long way to go," he said.

Pearce, who played game three for NSW this year, claims it would be selfish of him to even consider the notion of a Test jumper.

"My mind is on this week and working hard with these boys to make the finals," he said.

"It's selfish to be thinking about anything but your team's finals chances."

Pearce said the 10-day turnaround from last week's shock loss to Cronulla has allowed the Roosters to reset their focus.

"I want to make these last couple of weeks and into the finals my best part of the season, because that's when your team needs you and that's why you get picked in first grade, to play well in these games," he said.

"I'm taking that as a little challenge. The last two losses have been disappointing, but it makes you get those nerves back in your guts again."

Pearce said he was eagerly awaiting the contest against Prince, which could be an entree to another head-to-head battle in the finals.

"I'm looking forward to playing Scotty Prince," he said. "Scott Prince is a great player and has been for a long time. I always liked watching him at the Tigers and obviously the Titans. They're always great attacking sides and he's one that we have to stop this week."

Source: The Daily Telegraph

TITAN PETE
22-08-10, 01:25 PM
Presto is having an MRI tomorrow & could be out for a few weeks

titansrawesome
22-08-10, 02:52 PM
raiders beat dragons like i thought, so now if we win against roosters we are 2 points behind, and the knights @ energy australia with everything to play for against the dragons could see us go level

DIEHARD
22-08-10, 03:24 PM
We really need you on deck for the Finals Preston! Hope you are ok.

Coaster
22-08-10, 06:09 PM
What reserves do you pick if Lafrancri moves to the front row?

You have nearly all 80 min players in the side.

Interesting, nearly want some short stint thug, like Moi Moi, Myers maybe and Bodine, Tagatese, and another front rower

Airlie Beach Titan
22-08-10, 06:48 PM
Presto is having an MRI tomorrow & could be out for a few weeks

That's some troubling news if true. I just don't think Zilly has what it takes at fullback in the crunch matches..

squirrell
22-08-10, 07:14 PM
That's some troubling news if true. I just don't think Zilly has what it takes at fullback in the crunch matches..

He may lack the spark and genius of presto in the number 1..but hes very solid and wont let us down.

Chaos
22-08-10, 08:38 PM
The salary cap forces semi final type of matches earlier, every year in the NRL and this will be an interesting game to watch...and it's not only for positions on the ladder.
If Titans drop one of their last three...it's a good chance these two teams may meet each other come first semi final.

DIEHARD
23-08-10, 01:26 AM
Presto out as Titans prepare for Chooks

TITANS fullback Preston Campbell has been ruled out of the Gold Coast's big away clash against the Sydney Roosters tomorrow night with a hamstring injury.

Campbell suffered the injury at a team training session on Friday and had not recovered in time to fly out of Coolangatta with the rest of the side this afternoon.

Winger William Zillman will shift to fullback, with off-contract leaper Jordan Atkins to line up on the flank for just his second first grade game of the season.

Big back rower Sam Tagataese will travel as 18th man.

DIEHARD
23-08-10, 01:42 AM
Prince set for battle royale on two fronts

THE race is on for a top-four berth in the NRL, and Scott Prince is ready to lead the way as the Gold Coast Titans tackle the Sydney Roosters tonight in a game which could have a huge bearing on finals positions.

For Prince, the race to the finals is only part of the picture, the Gold Coast skipper also bidding for a return to the Test arena remains on the cards at the end of the season.

With doubts over North Queensland's Johnathan Thurston, who is sidelined with foot and shoulder injuries, Prince is well placed to make a play for the Kangaroos No.7 jumper.

But he is facing direct competition from Roosters halves Mitchell Pearce and even Todd Carney, who was tossed up as a possible bolter by former Australian halfback Andrew Johns at the weekend.

Titans spiritual leader Chris 'Choppy' Close believes Prince has proved he is the man to lead the Gold Coast all the way to the grand final after rediscovering his dominant best.

The form halfback of the competition, Prince has put a sluggish start to the season behind him with sensational performances against the Eels and Cowboys over the past fortnight as the club bears down on its second-consecutive finals berth.

''To be a good leader, the first thing you have to do is be prepared to roll your sleeves up and get involved yourself,'' said Maroons great Close.

''At the moment that is what Scotty is doing.

''There has probably been times where he has tried to lead from afar but that doesn't work.

''It doesn't give confidence to the players and they don't want to follow you.

''But at this point in time, his leadership is spot on.''

Maroons great Close believes Prince has returned to the scintillating style that saw him win the last of his representative jerseys for Queensland and Australia in 2008.

''There are a couple of things that have happened,'' said Close.

''His kicking game has become spot on and he is running the ball, which creates a lot of doubt in the minds of the opposition.

''With everything that has happened to him this year, there have been some major distractions off the field and it is a credit to him that he has got himself into the position he has to be leading the team the way he is.''

As part of his role with the Titans, foundation Gold Coast Giants player Close is the man charged with bringing a sense of pride and history to the fresh NRL franchise.

He is a fixture in the dressing sheds before every game, using his passion to fire up players, instilling confidence and offering words of wisdom.

''I was involved with the team at this stage last year and I felt that they needed to improve by about 25 per cent to be a grand final contender,'' said Close.

''This year there is no doubt in my mind that they can win this competition.

''There is not a team in the NRL that they can't beat.

''One thing different this year to last year is that they are a much tougher outfit.

''It comes from John Cartwright's coaching and is a culmination of his four years in the job and bringing that culture to the team and refining it to the stage it is.

''When you start to believe in yourself, your level of performance really skyrockets and I think this team this year really believes in themselves and each other.

''They are great things to have as a team going into a grand final situation.''

DIEHARD
23-08-10, 02:53 AM
CLICK HERE TO SEE A GALLERY OF THE TITANS TRAINING FOR THE ROOSTERS GAME ON THE GOLD COAST BULLETIN WEBSITE (http://tools.goldcoast.com.au/photo-gallery/photo_gallery_popup_preview.php?category_id=18375&offset=0)

DIEHARD
23-08-10, 03:00 AM
Roosters star runs a fine line

IN FOOTYSPEAK it's known as the courage line.

The tunnel-vision charge that nine times out of 10 ends with a crunching blindside tackle.

But, as Mitchell Aubusson knows, there's nothing sweeter than popping out the other side.

And when it comes to splitting NRL defences, the lightweight Roosters back-rower has emerged as one of the most potent attacking weapons in the NRL this year.

Forget the Eels' Jarryd Hayne and the Panthers' Michael Jennings, no one can match Aubusson's strike rate at splitting the line, with the 22-year-old involved in a linebreak less than every nine touches of the ball.

It's a forward strike rate that puts the Ballina junior in the rarefied company of Manly great Steve Menzies.

And as Roosters halfback Mitchell Pearce raves, it all comes down to his willingness to put his 94kg frame on the chopping block - and a freakish ability to read his ballplayers.

"For a back-rower he's not a massive guy, but the amount of tries he's scored running that hard line ... I don't think there's any other player that's done that," Pearce said.

"He's always hit that great hole so maybe for him it comes natural, but it takes a lot of toughness to put your body on the line and Aubbo does it constantly.

"As a ball player Toddy [Carney] and I love going to him."

Switched from centre to the back-row this year, Aubusson has been a revelation for Roosters coach Brian Smith, leading the NRL with the most linebreaks for a forward (14).

His combination with Pearce, Carney and Shaun Kenny-Dowall has been a feature of the Roosters' free-wheeling attack.

And the blond flyer admits he's relishing the chance to feed off the playmakers, as well as Roosters captain Braith Anasta.

"These guys are freaks and just to be a part of that is unreal," he said. "They are doing a lot of the hard work for me and I'm just sort of feeding off the back of it a bit."

A back-rower as a junior, Aubusson played 56 NRL games at centre or off the bench before Smith spoke to him in the pre-season about a move to the forwards this year.

And although he is again back at centre to cover for the loss of rookie Kane Linnett for tonight's clash with the Gold Coast Titans, he's adamant the Roosters can end the two-game losing streak that threatens to derail their top-four aspirations.

The match will play a pivotal role in deciding the final make-up of the eight, with the Titans and Roosters both gunning for a home final.

For Aubusson, it means making up for the "embarrassment" of last year's wooden spoon and also another shot at finals football after being bundled out in 2008 with back-to-back defeats.

And the Ballina Seagulls junior says the roller-coaster of the past two seasons has been a factor behind the Roosters' revival - along with the obvious factors of Todd Carney's signing and Brian Smiths appointment.

"Smithy has come in and given the boys a lot of self-confidence and you can just see by the way they are playing," he said. "But after last year I think a lot of the boys had a good look in the mirror at themselves and said, 'We can't do that again because it's just not acceptable'. And to our credit we've bounced back and some of the boys are playing the best footy of their life."

Quizzed about his own form and ability to crack the defence, Aubusson says he has tried to model his game on Menzies.

But he's also quick to deflect the accolades to Pearce, Carney and Anasta - even if means a barrage of body-jarring hits.

"You've got to have a bit of guts to run that line because half the time you are going to get hit pretty hard and blindsided too so there's a bit of that that comes into it," he said.

"But if you can get your head around that, then the pros definitely outweigh the cons."

Source: http://www.thedailytelegraph.com.au

DIEHARD
23-08-10, 03:01 AM
Kenny-Dowall determined to put Titans to the sword again

THE reinvention of Shaun Kenny-Dowall from winger to world-class centre started in round 12 this year against Gold Coast Titans, who the Roosters face again tonight.

Kenny-Dowall's brilliant performances in the latter half of the season have made him a firm contender to partner Steve Matai in the centres for New Zealand later this year, and can be traced back to a breakthrough match at Skilled Park in May - also on a Monday night.

He scored two tries and broke eight tackles as the Roosters won 30-16 and was instantly a new player.

''In the latter half of the season I have been really happy with my form and I have learned from my mistakes in the early games,'' said Kenny-Dowall, who had played on the wing for most of his NRL career.

For the first 10 games of the season Kenny-Dowall had scored three tries. Following a round 11 bye and some home truths on the video screen, he began his impressive charge against the Titans.

From that match to date, Kenny-Dowall has crossed for 11 tries, made nine line breaks, and run for more than 100 metres in seven games - twice breaching 200 metres in 80 minutes.

''It is definitely a lot different to the wing, in defence and attack,'' he said. ''I just try to do my best for the Roosters and see what happens at the end of the year [with Test selection].

''I worked really hard on my transition to centre; I've had to do a lot of work to adjust to it.

''I want to stand up in the games coming up and really perform well.''

The Titans will be looking to contain Kenny-Dowall more effectively tonight at the Sydney Football Stadium than they did 12 weeks ago but have already suffered a blow with fullback Preston Campbell ruled out through injury. Jordan Atkins will come into the side on the wing, with William Zillman reverting to fullback.

Greg Bird will come off the bench as Titans coach John Cartwright retains his halves pairing of Scott Prince and Mat Rogers, and said he had not decided how to use Bird for the rest of the season.

Cartwright dismissed the lack of interest from punters in his team.

Bookmakers have revealed that although the side is a contender for the minor premiership, to date they have fielded nearly double the money on Melbourne winning the title as the Titans - and no bets have been taken on the Storm since their salary cap cheating was exposed in April.

''I can't control any betting or what people think of our chances,'' Cartwright said. ''We know if we get all our little systems right it will be hard for any team to beat us.

''Form is a week-to-week thing; no one can time when they have a good run. You have got to believe in what you are doing.

''We are pretty well at full-strength; we believe in ourselves.''

The Roosters have lost two matches in a row and are at risk of missing out on the home semi-final they looked assured of a fortnight ago.

''We did create a fair few chances in those games - we just did not execute well,'' Kenny-Dowall said. ''That is what we have focused on this week and hopefully we can execute on the day.''

Cartwright's troops are well aware of the Roosters' desperation.

''They have lost a couple; no one wants to lose three games in a row going into the semi-finals,'' Cartwright said.

Source: http://www.leaguehq.com.au

TITAN PETE
23-08-10, 11:16 AM

$820

Well u have picked 3 losers so far :?) i hope your last choice is right :D

DIEHARD
23-08-10, 03:13 PM
Campbell out, Atkins in against Roosters
Adam Gardini

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans livewire Preston Campbell has been ruled out of tonight's clash against the Sydney Roosters with a hamstring injury.

Campbell suffered the injury at training on Friday and was unable to take the field for the team's final training run at Robina yesterday morning.

The loss of Campbell will see a re-shuffle of the Titans line-up with winger William Zillman shifting to fullback and Jordan Atkins promoted to the wing.

The Titans will be looking for their fifth straight win, which would help the club move one step closer towards sealing a top-four spot and guaranteeing their place in the finals.

DIEHARD
23-08-10, 03:17 PM
Mini v Mini
Jason Sintome

CLICK HERE TO LOAD VIDEO (http://www.titans.com.au/?s=article-display&id=29406)

It’s the ultimate in sibling rivalry, and feathers could fly as Mark Minichiello targets his older brother Anthony during tonight’s round 24 clash between the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans and the Sydney Roosters.

In scintillating form this season for the Titans scoring nine tries, Mark knows his brother will be there, trying his best to protect the Roosters try line from full back tonight should the Titans second rower break clear at any stage.

It’s the clash both families brace themselves for, a game when backyard rivalries are relived, but this time there are premiership points on the line.

Boofhead
23-08-10, 03:19 PM
I have little doubt that Zilly will rise for the occasion tonight. Playing some consistent football has been doing him the world of good.

I wish I felt more confident going into this game, surely the boys want some revenge on the chickens after the drumming they put on us at Skilled.

DIEHARD
23-08-10, 03:34 PM
Zillman has also got his speed back. Which is great to see.

titansrawesome
23-08-10, 03:54 PM
the wing did zilly good, he caught some hard bombs against NZ, taga is 18th man but i think he would do ok again at centre and michaels at wing.

karnage
23-08-10, 05:01 PM
the wing did zilly good, he caught some hard bombs against NZ, taga is 18th man but i think he would do ok again at centre and michaels at wing.

Michaels is the best centre we have when Rogers is in the 6. No way I'd be moving him to the wing.

Roosters are pretty firm favourites for this but I think our forward pack can more than match it with them, and if we do dish it up to them up front for the full 80 minutes Prince can play them a turne and put it on for the fast men to put them away.

Their danger men are their hard running back rowers and centres but the key men for us are Bull, White, Hendo, Red, Mini and Boof. If those 6 lay the platform and get the go forward we can stay with them early and grind them out of it late as we have against the likes of Melbourne, Manly, NZ, Parra and St. George.

Any win would see us back in 2nd and any win by more than 2 points would see us increase our tiny margin on the Wests for and against.

DIEHARD
23-08-10, 05:10 PM
I'm on the Titans to win at $2.45!

ForGCT
23-08-10, 05:18 PM
Whatever the combo they still should have that fire. S'posed to go out tonight but wouldn't concentrate away from the game. Canberra has helped get the minor prem in GCT sights too though St G fans say not possible. Have to stay positive, they are gonna win tonight.

bigjim
23-08-10, 06:02 PM
Time for a little respect. Titans by 13. We beat the Roosters and we become a true finalist prospect.

kwigibo
23-08-10, 06:12 PM
How was Anasta not offside there?

DIEHARD
23-08-10, 06:32 PM
Roosters first try was forward

What about that Mini intercept and then the Toopi counter attack! WOW

Goal line drop out for us! Let's go boys!

bigjim
23-08-10, 06:52 PM
Looking good. Respect.

DIEHARD
23-08-10, 07:22 PM
Fantastic try to Bodene Thompson scooping up the ball from 10 out. The Southern Legion goes mad! Scott Prince converts 16-10! 58th minute.

DIEHARD
23-08-10, 07:32 PM
Zillman with a streaking 80m run, next play we go wide to Toopi who scores.

Toopi has been amazing for us tonight.

22-10!

DIEHARD
23-08-10, 07:45 PM
Love the Scott Prince field goal!

But... sad to see the Roosters get in off a freaky passage of play. Anthony Minichello's 100th try.

Titanic
23-08-10, 07:49 PM
Yee haa ... bloody great - had to listen to the radio online in China ... bring on the Sharkies :-)

DIEHARD
23-08-10, 07:53 PM
FULL TIME @ THE SFS: Titans reclaim 2nd spot in the Premiership! 23-14! Titans 50th win ever! Tries to Toopi (2), Gordon, Thompson. Scott Prince 3 goals, 1 field goal

ForGCT
23-08-10, 07:54 PM
Whatever the combo they still should have that fire. They are gonna win tonight.

Titans are AWESOME. Awful refs and some dropped ball but they just shine don't they. Very proud fan, I'm sure they'll be keeping us proud too!!!!
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

titansrawesome
23-08-10, 07:54 PM
excellent win 5 wins in a row, however.... we shouldnt be getting over our head and thinking we have an easy 2 points vs the sharks because thats what the roosters did and they ended up losing, cambell will probably be back next week too.

Coaster
23-08-10, 07:55 PM
GREAT STUFF!!!!!

What a win, was worried about that one, but i now wonder why.

This is our year

TITAN PETE
23-08-10, 08:06 PM
Great win against quality opposition with top games from Toopi & Zillman ..bring on the Sharks

DIEHARD
23-08-10, 08:06 PM
We are real contenders now at large in the NRL!

That was Finals football out there and we didn't panic.

meter maid
23-08-10, 08:12 PM
Toopi had a blinder. Well done boys.......everyone stepped up tonight :)
only 5 more sleeps till the next game....................woohoo!

Boonarga
23-08-10, 08:13 PM
Zillman has also got his speed back. Which is great to see.

Heh, he got run down by Mitchell Pearce.

kwigibo
23-08-10, 08:22 PM
Heh, he got run down by Mitchell Pearce.

To be fair Pearce still has his original knees.

eelectrica
23-08-10, 08:26 PM

Totally agree. Both teams played that like a final. Not too long ago I had the Roosters in the Grand Final against the Dragons. To win down there like that...

All things are still possible. Gotta keep it rolling though against the sharks. It would be a crying shame to lose to the sharks and undo all the good work of this win. :fight:

karnage
23-08-10, 08:36 PM

I'm with ya Diehard.

All pretence is going out the window for me now after that win against the Roosters. I now believe that we can go all the way to the grand final and are as good a chance of winning the comp as any other team, and a better chance than most.

Yes, we got a couple of dubious decisions go our way but we did that without Preston Campbell tonight who adds an enormous amount to our team with his spark in attack. Bird looked to be a bit lost early with his switch and that will add a massive dimension when he comes good.

I will be disappointed if we don't make it as far as the preliminary final and I have to believe that it is possible for us to get a 'home' one up at Suncorp. Exciting, and possibly heart breaking days ahead.

Coaster
23-08-10, 08:45 PM
I told you all this weeks ago, shhesssh

squirrell
23-08-10, 08:50 PM
kevin gordon chasing down short **** turned the game...that was a try saver without making the tackle...hes as fast as me when i was younger!!!!!

Coaster
23-08-10, 09:16 PM
Gordon chasing down Perrit was just poetry in motion.

BUT

WHAT ABOUT FRIEND GETTING THERE
He made a gazillion tackles, hands on the ball every play, packs into the middle of every scrum. Has the biggest ratio of tackling guys 100kg and over.

And he runs alls the way back, and is the difference between that being a good chase, and a try saving set.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ryan
23-08-10, 09:19 PM
I told you all this weeks ago, shhesssh
I'm with ya.
Two weeks out from the finals, sitting pretty in 2nd - and it's only now that we are finals contenders?????

titansrawesome
23-08-10, 09:24 PM
damn i wish i put a bet on titans $19 for premiers, still mite put something on for $7 a bet

karnage
23-08-10, 09:34 PM
I'm with ya.
Two weeks out from the finals, sitting pretty in 2nd - and it's only now that we are finals contenders?????

No point being finals contenders any further out. Just ask Roosters fans (if you can find one...:laugh: ) who were almost premiership favourites after they beat up on the Eels.

Or ask St George fans what it feels like to peak too early year after year.

Or even last year when we were probably more ready for finals four or five weeks out.

There is a sense of timing about us that I love - reminiscent of our Captain's premiership year in 2005.

Ryan
23-08-10, 09:45 PM
No point being finals contenders any further out. Just ask Roosters fans (if you can find one...:laugh: ) who were almost premiership favourites after they beat up on the Eels.

Or ask St George fans what it feels like to peak too early year after year.

Or even last year when we were probably more ready for finals four or five weeks out.

There is a sense of timing about us that I love - reminiscent of our Captain's premiership year in 2005.

Your outlook on this competition is as consistent as it's referees:

~
Our season is over. Even if we make the finals we will be doing nothing more than making up the numbers. A year of promise fizzles out hopelessly with yet another failure to improve as the season progresses. If we can't make any improvement between rds 1 and 19 there is no way we can improve sufficiently to threaten in rds 20 - 26.
~
Hopeless...

Rounds 20-24 won, rounds 25 & 26 looking promising ;)

kwigibo
23-08-10, 10:22 PM
WHAT ABOUT FRIEND GETTING THERE
He made a gazillion tackles, hands on the ball every play, packs into the middle of every scrum. Has the biggest ratio of tackling guys 100kg and over.

And he runs alls the way back, and is the difference between that being a good chase, and a try saving set.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I think he kicked as much as Rogers too. Good kicks, and that's the only thing anyone can ever think to criticise him for.

DIEHARD
23-08-10, 10:22 PM
Titans seal finals berth, eye top-four spot
Adam Gardini

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans moved one step closer towards a top-four spot after sealing their place in the finals with a 23-14 win over the Sydney Roosters at the SFS tonight.

Two tries from experienced New Zealander Clinton Toopi helped the Titans to the win as the Gold Coasters maintained a share of equal 2nd spot on the ladder with their fifth straight victory.

Th Titans led 10-6 at halftime and went right on with the job in second half through tries to Toopi and young forward Bodene Thompson and a faultless goal kicking display from captain Scott Prince

In an absorbing 80 minutes contest, the Roosters capitalized on a weight of early possession with a try to Anasta after 6 minutes to lead 6-nil.

But the Titans hit back when a fortuitous bounce from a Prince kick landed in the hands of Toopi who levelled the scores at 6-all

Both teams then traded blows for the next 20 minutes before winger Kevin Gordon did an outstanding job to ground the ball in the corner and give the Titans a 10-6 lead at halftime.

The Roosters levelled things up at 10-all shortly after the break though through a try to centre Shaun Kenny Dowell.

But the Titans got back in the armwrestle and kicked clear when Bodene Thompson pounced on a Roosters mistake to score, with Prince adding the extras for a 16-10 lead with 21 minutes remaining.

Toopi then scored his second try off a blistering 95m kick return by fullback William Zillman and Prince again saluted with the sideline conversion for a 22-10 lead with 13 minutes remaining.

Prince then put the result beyond doubt with a sneaky field goal off a restart in play for a match-sealing 23-10 advantage.

The Roosters then crossed late for a consolation try but the damage had been done with the Titans notching their three straight away win ahead of next weekend's clash against the Sharks at Toyota Stadium.

DIEHARD
23-08-10, 11:02 PM
Gold Coast Titans make minor premiership bid

FIVE wins in a row and a home final. Anyone for a minor premiership?

Gold Coast continued its golden run through the latter stages of the competition with a thrilling 23-14 win over the Sydney Roosters at the Sydney Football Stadium last night, moving back into second spot and keeping alive its slim hopes of overhauling St George Illawarra.

Recycled centre Clinton Toopi, yet to secure a contract for next season, finished with a double as halfback and captain Scott Prince orchestrated a win which ensured the Titans will finish in the top four and play their opening final at Skilled Park.

Not content with throwing the last pass for Toopi's second try, Prince ensured the win with five minutes remaining when he kicked a field goal.

The Titans can still reel in the Dragons but that would hinge on them winning their final two games against Cronulla and the Wests Tigers - and St George Illawarra losing twice.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
Unlikely, but you never know.

"If we keep winning, we're going to be at least second," Titans coach John Cartwright said.

In response to suggestions his side wasn't rated by the critics, Prince added: "It doesn't worry me.

"What concerns me is between those four walls in the dressing room. I guess it will be wide open come finals time. Every team can win it."

The Roosters are now fighting for their finals life. Three consecutive losses has left them in a logjam at the bottom of the eight. They need to beat either Manly or North Queensland over the next fortnight to guarantee themselves a place in the finals.

Asked where his side was after a tough month, Roosters coach Brian Smith said: "We have some work to do on where we are.

"When you look at that ladder there is nothing between second and 11th or 12th. Deadly business. We're sixth on the ladder. The ball is in our court."

Last night's defeat took the gloss off a special occasion for fullback Anthony Minichiello, who became only the second player - Bill Mullins was the first - to score 100 tries for the club with three minutes remaining.

It wasn't the only memorable moment for the Roosters in the second half. At one point referee Steve Lyons apologised to captain Braith Anasta for an error.

"It was a bit of a spin out actually," Anasta said.

Even an admission of error from the referee couldn't save the Roosters. By the time Minichiello scored, the game was lost. After trailing at half-time, the Roosters levelled the scores six minutes into the second half when Shaun Kenny-Dowall scored off a superb pass from Mitchell Pearce. But the game swung back to the Gold Coast thanks to a howler from Sam Perrett.

The New Zealand winger lost the ball only metres from his line under pressure from Mat Rogers. Bodene Thompson picked it up, fended away Phil Graham and carried Kenny-Dowall over the line.

The Titans put the game beyond doubt with a sizzling try in the 66th minute. William Zillman cleaned up a Pearce kick on his try-line and raced away. Pearce and Nate Myles did well to mow Zillman down but it was to no avail.

From the next play, Gold Coast went wide and the movement finished with Toopi crossing for his second try of the game. Prince converted from the sideline and the lead was out to 12 points. Prince's field goal put the result beyond doubt.

Gold Coast 23 (C Toopi 2 K Gordon B Thompson tries S Prince 3 goals S Prince field goal) Sydney Roosters 14 (B Anasta S Kenny-Dowall A Minichiello tries T Carney goal) at Sydney Football Stadium. Referees: Gavin Badger, Steve Lyons. Crowd: 9113.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/

patskE
23-08-10, 11:11 PM
zillman looks slow these days :(

patskE
23-08-10, 11:12 PM
kevin gordon chasing down short **** turned the game...that was a try saver without making the tackle...hes as fast as me when i was younger!!!!!

ahaha i love how perrit started to stumble casue he was 2 bzy worriod about gordon coming down his back ahaha he got scared!

matti
23-08-10, 11:31 PM
Best part of the night, Carney trying to convert the last try infront of the legion! the drums really do work when your right next to them haha

teke
24-08-10, 12:49 AM
zillman looks slow these days :(:laugh:

He has never been that fast to begin with.

He was quick for a Raiders player but its a whole diff ball game when you become a titan :fight:

lonegull
24-08-10, 06:01 AM
great game,i dotn like singleing out players, i just want to mention Toopi, he had a great game in attack but his defense was second to none, he has been great in the centre and one thing i noticed last night he really pumps up the team with his talk and entusiasm
Overall great game, and yep they talk about the fastest man in league they wouldnt have had to look to far last night with gordon,

lonegull
24-08-10, 06:03 AM
also last night it was the titans 50th win since there inception, makes it even more sweeter

karnage
24-08-10, 06:43 AM
Your outlook on this competition is as consistent as it's referees:

Rounds 20-24 won, rounds 25 & 26 looking promising ;)

Said it before - happy to say it again: Never been so plesed to be wrong!!

shamus
24-08-10, 11:10 AM
Whoo Hoooo.........Great win. I am up at Cairns atm and watched the game at a pub at Woree in the restaurant section coz they had a poker tournament happening under the other 'big' screen in the other bar......I sorta made a goose of myself as usual with my rants and cheers but that's OK coz no one knew me...

I also had $5 @$51 for Matt White to score the last try coz I figured he wouldn't wanna do a nudie run but I didn't see him in the second half....Was he injured?

I am in Maccas atm coz my motel doesn't have internet...and it is pathetically slow..

Back home soon....it is freakin warm up here. I am starting to look a bit like a local...;)

amaline
24-08-10, 02:47 PM
From the media release

Titans
1. Campbell
2. Gordon
3. Michaels
4. Toopi
5. Zillman
6. Rogers
7. Prince
8. Bailey
9. Friend
10. White
11. Laffranchi
12. Minichiello
13. Harrison

14. Henderson
15. Myers
16. Bird
17. Thompson

Oops, wrong thread.

patskE
24-08-10, 03:03 PM
ahahah jsut watched a highlight video
love when gordon chases down perrit, he has a big smilie saying wdup, iam fast baby!

DIEHARD
24-08-10, 03:31 PM
The coolest thing about Kev is that he always seems so happy and smiling.

Boofhead
24-08-10, 03:36 PM
Yeah he is a larakin alright!

"Give it to Gordon!" Says Kev.

DIEHARD
24-08-10, 03:42 PM
I guess you could also say other cool things is his blistering speed and his courage.

titansrawesome
24-08-10, 04:00 PM
give it to kevo!!!! i swear he's gonna win the sprint challenge, it looked like he was jogging alongside sam perrett

Ryan
24-08-10, 04:21 PM
Reply is on now. Fox 2.

DIEHARD
24-08-10, 06:35 PM
Two-try Toopi talking Titans' title

VETERAN Titans centre Clinton Toopi defied a hamstring scare in the warm-up to be the two-try hero of last night's 23-14 away win over the Roosters, and he believes the Titans have the side to go all the way to the NRL title this year.

"There's so much experience here, guys have played semi-final football and the young blokes are so enthusiastic," said Toopi.

"The good thing about this team is it's across the board. Everybody can turn the game.

"If we work as a package we're going to get success. If we can keep that rolling into the semis we'll be unstoppable."

Toopi showed in the win over the Roosters he could rewrite the Once Were Warriors script into a feelgood story about a Kiwi star who almost gave it away.

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright believes the former Kiwi Test star could be the bargain buy of the year after being thrown a lifeline by the Titans when injuries looked certain to prematurely end his once glittering career.

Down six-nil after Mitchell Pearce put Braith Anasta in for the opener, Toopi was on hand to pounce on a Scott Prince kick after 10 minutes to equalise.

Roosters winger Phil Graham copped a horror bounce which sat up perfectly for Toopi after spearing back on the angle and the centre crashed over to score.

Just as importantly he saved one less than five minutes later when he forced BJ Leilua to lose control on the line when the Roosters centre looked like scoring off a Mitchell Pearce cross-field kick.

Then it was Toopi again who helped put the match beyond reach when he finished off a great movement by the Titans in the corner with 15 minutes left on the clock.

Fullback William Zillman had gone 80 metres only to be cut down but after quick passing on the next play through Kevin Gordon, Jordan Atkins and Mat Rogers, skipper Scott Prince found Toopi for the veteran to score in the corner for what was a 22-10 lead after the conversion.

The side's success is all the more pleasing for the sacrifices Toopi has had to make to a part of their charge.

While wife Turenga remains at home in Whakatane with their young daughters Waimania and Brianna, he is sharing a place on the Gold Coast with Titans youngsters David Mead and Ryan Tongia.

"It's been a huge sacrifice to leave my family. I didn't realise how big it was until I got over here," said Toopi.

"Countless times I've wanted to pack up and go home but my wife said to me, 'I've sacrificed this for you (now) get over there and finish the job'."

For Cartwright, Toopi is the icing on the cake in the constant battle clubs are forced to wage in their search to get bargains under the salary cap.

"You've just gotta keep searching. They're out there and sometimes you find them, they just need an opportunity. Sometimes you get it right. Sometimes you don't but with Clinton we've definitely got it right," said Cartwright.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
24-08-10, 06:36 PM
CLICK TO VIEW PHOTO GALLERY ON GOLDCOAST.COM.AU (http://tools.goldcoast.com.au/photo-gallery/photo_gallery_popup_preview.php?category_id=18405&offset=0)

karnage
24-08-10, 09:09 PM
That's a great story on Clinton Toopi.

He is another guy I was totally wrong about - I thought he was too old and past it but his form has been a huge part of our recent success. His experience out there just seems massive with his talk, his enthusiasm and his constantly making great reads in defence. Bloody strong too.