16 R Barton
17 R Filipine

DIEHARD
15-08-10, 04:19 PM
Sunshine Coast 52 defeat Ipswich Jets 10

DIEHARD
15-08-10, 04:23 PM
Soaring Eagles sure to shorten

EXPECT the odds on a second Sunshine Coast Queensland Cup premiership to shorten even further tomorrow after the Sea Eagles’ sixth straight win yesterday – a 52-thumping of Ipswich at Stockland Park.

Back in the dark days of April and May, when the defending champions lost four in a row, they were much closer to last than first.

Today, they sit in third place on the ladder, with two rounds remaining, and are clearly the form team in the competition after knocking off both of the top two, Souths-Logan and Norths, away from home in this six-pack of triumphs.

An astute member of the Eagles hierarchy placed a bet on his side a few weeks back when it was $15 to win the title. Coming into round 20, the Sea Eagles had shortened to third favourite at $6.50 – still a very generous price.

They should be a $4 chance.

The Eagles have now scored more points than any other team in the competition – 566 at just under 30 per game – have the second-best for-and-against record and will have a home final in week one of the finals if they beat Burleigh and Mackay over the next fortnight.

Coach Brandon Costin had listed the last-placed Jets as a danger game, perhaps fearing a letdown after last Saturday’s thrashing of Norths, and for the opening 10 minutes yesterday it looked like Glenn Lazarus’s side could be a real nuisance.

The Jets scored first and were still level at 4-4 after 20 minutes before the Coast went on what has become a trademark try-scoring spree.

Forward Jason Wardrop charged over from close to the line to put his side in front for the first time and then five-eighth Terence Seu Seu took over, creating a try for Tyrone Coppedge before racing 60m from a scrum win to give the Coast a 20-4 lead to enjoy at half-time.

Six Sea Eagles tries came in the second half, two of them created by Seu Seu, to take the points total past 50 for the second time this year and to 92 in just two weeks.

Costin told his players post-match that it was one of the best wins the club has had in its two hugely successful seasons.

“We did all the little things right. We kept them to 10 points, just one try a half, and we hit goals that we want to hit for every game,” he said.

“I’d been worried all week (about this game). I was worried last night. I was worried this morning.

“The only thing that worries me now is getting ready for Burleigh next week.”

Fullback Dennis Sandow’s 20-point haul took his tally past 150 for the season.

SUNSHINE COAST 52

Dennis Sandow 2, Tyrone Coppedge 2, Terence Seu Seu, Jason Wardrop, Maa Ruua, Daly Cherry-Evans, Filinga Filiga, Jamie Buhrer tries; Sandow 6 goals

IPSWICH 10

Marshall Chalk, Luke Walker tries; Jacob Ling 1 goal

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/